Vaginal Abscess

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal Abscess

I went to the doctor 2day 6/15/2011 because I had a Large swollen hard bump on the left side of my vagina wall & the pain was gettin unbearable I could no longer sit so the doc cut it open & drained it.  It was diagnose to be a VAGINAL ABSCESS so now the pain is gone the swelling went down a LIL bit but its still there & very swollen (YUK) ...... ? Do u think the swelling will eventually go down & my VAGINA will go back to normal ..... I have to go back to the doctor in 2days for a wound check I hope the swelling goes down  
Once the infection clears up it should return to normal. Did he prescribe antibiotics?
It's sounds like what I'm going through...I hope it's not! I have been to four doctors, including an infectious disease specialist, no one knows what it is. Last October this large knot appeared on my bikini line, right where the thigh ends, it was a discomfort, but it never did anything. My OB/GYN, who the month before removed my ovarian cyst, thought nothing of it and didn't want to open it since it didn't have a head. November, I get my general doctor to lance it. It's 90% blood, test results show nothing abnormal. Well since then it has reoccurred 3 times, each time more painful, with more puss, in the exact same spot, and all test show nothing! The doctor had do lance it the first two times, the last two it opened on it's own. Last Monday, I thought it might be flaring up, never can really tell, Tuesday & Wednesday I spent in bed on my back, Thursday it opened, right before my doctor's appointment. Tomorrow it is getting removed, I can be normal again! Hopefully I'll find out what it is and it won't ever come back!!!

Bottom-line, Listen to your body above everyone else and don't just take a doctors opinion as anything other than an educated guess. They are knowledgeable, but they can't always understand and you can't always explain what your body is saying. Oh, and please if you end up seeing multiple doctors, make sure that they are all fully informed of everything before your visit.