Vaginal Gas and Fistula

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal Gas and Fistula

I know that this sounds gross but if any of you out there have had this problem you know how embarrassing it can be.  I was told that I had a possible fistula between my colon and vagina. I went in for a test and my gyn inserted some blue dye into my rectum then a tampon in my vagina. I left the office and came back in 1 hour. She took out the tampon and there was no blue dye. So she said no fistula between the colon and vagina. So I went home and went to the bathroom. Well there was blue dye in my urine. So I went back into the office where they drew some urine with a catherer. There was blue tint to it. So she said that it was between my colon and bladder. So I went to the Cleveland Clinic and was checked and they could not find anything. They even did a coloscopy. I might mention that I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and my bowel was snipped, but my problem did not start until about 5 years ago.
I don't know what my next step should be. It occurs out of the blue and I have no control over it. If I am sitting up in bed and have gas it is clearly coming from both ends. You know if you have regular gas you would at least have time to walk out of the room, but with this you don't. I want to hide from the world.
Please help me and guide me as what to do next. I am totally at a loss.
Thank you
well there has to be something but when you get like a lotta air or whatever around there air can just sometimes go in there (that spot lol) but thats when that starts making a gas-like sound but you haven;'t went to the doctor since then?
Maybe it's not normal to have a fistula but vaginal gas is normal and natural and if you dont feel comfortable with your partner it's embarrassing I suppose to an extent but I am 23 and young and if some guy is going to judge me on such a natural occurence that's his deal. Try a different position where youre not stretched to wide and there's not excessive pumping.  I know when i get air inside I feel sick and bloated it's uncomfortable.  If it happens I make a joke because I'd rather he know I didn't fart that it was from air from having too much sex. flatter him tell him it only happens when it lasts too long or there penis is too big.  How can he be disgusted then?
Thanks for your response, but this has nothing to do with sex. I can be siting just watching TV or standing talking with people and I just happens without any warning.
I can understand the embarrassment you face.  I've been having gas discharge from the vagina for the past 3 years, without the ability to control it or predict it.  I have not yet been tested for a fistula between the vagina and colon, however, the physicians say that it's highly unlikely as I have not given birth yet.  I am 27 years old, and have been very concerned with this issue, as it can happen as frequently as everyday, and can be loud, and long.  Sometimes, the gas expels for over 90 seconds or so, and is very loud.  

I was told by my gyn that it could be yeast or bacterial infection, however, the antibiotics only helped temporarily and the antifungal prescription did not help.  Over the past few years, I've also seen a correlation between gas in the bowel and from the vagina.  

I'm going in for a colonoscopy in 2 months, but it seems like ages, as this is very embarrassing in the corporate environment.  It happens that when I'm sitting down, the gas collects in the uterus, and then when I stand up, the gas is expeled from the vagina.  It is very disheartening that my gyn stated that if it's not due to a fistula, there may not really be a solution to the problem.

Do you have gas from the vagina or the urethra (bladder)?
Hi, thanks for the response.  It is very hard to tell where it is coming from. I would think that if it were coming from the bladder then I would have problems with incontience.  I am 57 and I hate this condition.   I had three procedures at the Cleveland Clinic one was through the bladder, then they looked up inside my vagina in which I have no uterus, then I had a colonscopy. With all of that nothing  was found.  It is very frustrating to me and embarrassing especially in a crowd of people.  There is no control as you well know.
Please keep me updated and I will do the same. It is so important that we find out with is causing this.
Thank you again.
I find I'm having the same problem.  I have diverticulitis and just finished a 10 day round of antibiotics but at first the Drs thought I had a perforation and might have to have surgery.  .  I had a Barium enema and  CT scan but the Drs didn't say anything about a fistula, which I understand is hard to detect.  I have a pain in my side form the diverticulitis and then I'll have vaginal spotting  (I've had a hysterectomy so I know it's not coming from there) and I'll feel gas in my colon but it comes out both places..really weird.   I'm afraid I'll have to go back to the Dr but I really don't want to have surgery..I wonder if fistulas close up by themselves??
I have had a similar problem for the past two months.  Mine started with a bladder infection.  I have also been to a urlogist and my internist.  They really have no answers.  But I wanted to ask one question of you all.  Just before expelling the gas I have a short sharp pain in lower abdomen that lasts only a short time but there appears to be a build up to the pain.  Thanks in advance for responding.
No, I have no pain before, during or after the expelling of the gas.  I cannot for the life of me figure out why the Doctors have no idea of what this is. Mine has nothing to do with sex. I can be sitting in bed and it happens. My husband just looks at me and wonders why no medical person knows what to do for it. I can pretty much handle that. It's when I am out in public and there is no warning thats when I have a very hard time. It actually makes me want to stay home and be a hermit.
Doctors, if you are out there please help us find an answer to out problem.
Hi. I have been haveing Vaginal gas along with some light pink discharge ( on and off)  for the last 3 weeks. At the start I had some sharp grabing pains real low down and thought maybe a kidney stone-s . Doing research I found I was prone for stones as was taking gega amounts of tums
( calcium) and drink lots of milk along with vitamins. I thought this was maybe from irritation of the urithra. Also If diebetic (diabetic) as I am gases can form in urinary tract because of sugars present . One remidi for the gas is to drink baking soda water, it helps with the gas in both ends ( as it too seems to be more presant if I have rectal gas too. I too have had a completehystorectomy/cervex removed  3 yrs ago.
I am 69 and through the years, have occasionally had this vaginal gas. I have never approached my doctor with this as it really wasn't a problem for me. Two years ago, I had a hysteroscopy for a D&C. The doctor removed polyps and most of the endometriam. The vaginal gas seemed to disappear. Just today I was surprised that after sitting at the computer for some time, I got up to go to the bathroom and I expelled a loud and huge amount of vaginal gas. Upon looking this up online, I finally found your comment board on this problem. I really didn't know it was a problem. Reading some of your comments, I began to wonder if it could be from the calcium I began taking for the last month. I had stopped taking it for about a year and just now started to take it again. Someone menntioned having taken mega TUMS. It seems like a possible cause as I know that calcium can cause excess gas. I have never had any intestinal problems or trouble with gas and bloating. I will mention it to my doctor at my next physical and see what he has to say. I will continue to watch your comments. I am also due for a colonoscopy. Thanks for all the info.  
The fact that the blue dye ended up in your bladder via your colon  suggests there is a definite problem, then The Cleveland Clinic didn't find anything at the time and completely brushed you aside! I would be seeing another specialist and asking for an answer to why blue dye ended up where it shouldn't. There has to be a breach somewhere, which is also possible for the gas in the vagina. maybe a small hole from the bowel into the vagina. Think of it, when you have a tyre puncture on a push bike you have to hold the tyre under water to locate the hole, sometimes only a pin ***** but air escapes because of pressure. Maybe there's a hole so small the doctors are having trouble locating it. Keep trying. Good Luck!
Read this.
www.geocities.com/dinimerz/rectovaginal_fistula.htm
Hi there
I too have been having air escaping from my vagina..It's not sex related and doesn't happen after physical activity, it just happens anytime.  Most of the time it happens when I stand up or sit up in bed from laying down.  I have no pain, there is no smell...they just fall out lol.  It didn't start until a little while after I had a cesearean (first and only child).   When I mentioned it to my GP he looked at me like I was coo coo and just kept asking me.."it's coming from your vagina??  You're sure it's coming from your vagina?"  Almost like he didn't believe me, lol!  I told him "trust me, it's coming from my vagina!"  All he could say is that he had no idea why air would come from there!  I KNOW it has something to do with the pregnancy or birth or something related to it or the c-section!  Just not sure what!
i had exactly same reaction from GP, didnt believe air was coming from vagina, (i think we as women know our bodies) - I find it a very distressing condition, took 10 years for doctors to believe me, and i discovered a rv fistula by my own test despite numerous probing including a colonscopy, doctors say surgery could make fistual bigger so i have to live with it, it would be helpful if the medical profession supported women more after childbirth and with such embarassing conditions. I find it hard to believe with medicine as far advanced as it is that there are no solutions to ease these symptoms or acknowledgment of the distress it causes! I sincerely wish those who suffer this could be helped more. kind regards
I occasionally have vaginal gas as well, usually accompanied by rectal gas.  I have never had children.  It often happens when I stand after sitting or laying down.  It's happened before through sex, but that is obvious.  Lately it's happened more frequently, but thankfully, I've been alone when it's occurred.  I'm 37 and have always been pretty healthy (eat foods with little to no preservatives, whole foods, nothing  hydroginated, etc.).  Over the past few months, I've had gas more frequently, both vaginal and rectal.  I'm wondering if it's diet related, but the vaginal air is troubling.  
HI I have had problems for years. I'm 49 years old. Than in Oct 05'  I was told I had a bartholian cyst.  Had day surgery but it kept coming back!  I was treated like a idot by my GY which did my C-section and had been my doctor for years I have one child born in 83'.  The same doctor proformed my hysterectomy in 97' I also had hemorrhoidal surgery at the same time.  Well the cyst wasn't a bartholian it kept coming back had to stopped going to a Dr. I had trusted for years he actual told me I didn't hurt and nothing was wrong like i was crazy. And I went to another gy but he examined me vagina and rectum said it wasn't a barth.cyst and sent me to a Gyn/oncology well he did the dye test and biopsy of the cyst this cyst would be hard as a walnut then soft other times this Dr. would exam me all the time and was rude,had a ego old man problem would tell me one time he never saw it (what the hell did I come to see him to began with!???) that knew everything was a teacher at UAMS, LR, AR. We did ct scans, Colonscopy,small bowel series, upper gi tract, he final cut me open (May 05')from belly buttom to C-section scar and didn't do a damn thing but take out good ovaries and my appex. said the mass was attached to the rectum and I was to young to do a colostomy on!!! Which I didn't want. But I still had the problem.  Than thank God he had a heart attach and retired!!! I wished many a day he had one up his *** between his balls and in his penis. and was told well we'd have to cut your penis off to get rid of it!!!  Okay now I went to other Gy/onc @ UAMS he did a MRI and said he could remove the mass.  They knew I had a pelvis mass vs abcess (abscess) fistula.  I have always passed gas from the vagina during this time for years it just kept getting more & more freq.  Which any Dr. that doesn't believe this you need to keep seeing diff. ones till they help you because fistulas can close up and open back and build up infection and it will expell thought your BM's and you don't even know.   Do you have bleeding from your rectum. Well I went to another quack!  On the MRI which he didn't go over in detail with me before the surgery Just He could remove the mass.  Which he did Oct 07'.  I was still hurting after surgery.  I asked for a copy of my MRI 11-18-07.  Get this I have two diff. Fistula's  one at the Anterior rectal wall at the Pubococcygeal line (end of spine) two hernia sites one causing  part of the urinary bladder pouching. This dr. was also going to lift my bladder during surgery but this wasn't done as schelduled???which i ??? they ran out of time my surgery was delayed due to low potassium.  I didn't really get excuse!!! All doctors are quacks.  I have my regular family doctor that giving me pain medication and zoloft now valiums or I'd killed someone by now!!! I hurt all the time like a knife up my *** and told I have got to have a colostomy if I every want a normal sex life back. Or try the Cleveland Clinic they have the techlogy.  Now your saying they would help!

Help  Help  Help

Donna50
I have been having vaginal gas for the past couple days and it's usually after lunch at work.  It's very embarrassing and uncontrollable.  I wonder if there is a correlation between it and me trying to start my period.  I'm 24, married, no children.  I've been trying to start my period this week but haven't been able to, just the spotting, accompanied now with this vaginal gas.  I also wonder why my vagina hurts a little this week, it's all too weird to me.  It's as if I need to start (I know b/c I'm on the pill) but since I can't, I just get the gas?  

Or would it have to do with diet?  I've changed my diet, adding more fiber and I wonder if it has something to do with that?  Please advise.
I have to have the dye test tomorow (rectum) for a suspected fistula due to my crohns, as I have gas also from my vagina. I am on REMICADE and this is suppose to help close the fistulas but so far no luck.
Has anyone had the rectal dye test and what prep if any did you need?
I am 47 years old, had 3 pregnancies from the ages of 26 to 30.  I have never had any female reproductive organ problems and have been in good health.  However, I have had vaginal gas for the last two years.  It only occurs after I have been sitting in one place for a long period of time; such as sitting at the computer at work, watching TV, or a 2+ hour car ride.  It is uncontrollable and does make audible sounds.  It is very emabarrassing.

One technique that I use to expel the gas, when no one is around, is to press on my lower abdoment and bend slightly forward.  Sometimes standing then squatting can have the same effect.  It forces the air in the pelvis to be expelled.  Also, because it happens on standing after a long duration of sitting, I can usually stand and get to the bathroom before the gas expells.  This gives me an opportunity to force the gas out and avoid embarrassment when I return to the room.

I have not asked my doctor about this as I have read too many stories of women feeling like they are idiots because it can't be possible to have vaginal gas.  I hope this helps someone out there.
Something else I would like to add to my previous post is that I have 2 sisters who both have vaginal gas.  However, we have all had different physical experiences.  For example:  As I stated, I had 3 normal pregnancies.  One sister had 1 pregnancy and a hysterectomy.  The second sister has never been pregnant.  We are all over the age of 40 and have different diets and varying degrees of vaginal gas.  Therefore, there appears to be no connection between childbirth, sex, or diet and vaginal gas.
Finally, a site that lets me know my problem is not unique.  Before stumbling upon this site, I could not find any reference to this problem on any medical website.  I've had vaginal gas on and off for over 10 years. When it first began, my internist suggested it was sex related.  I did not accept that.  Since then, I consulted my GYN who suspected a fistula, even though the gas is odorless.  I had an ultrasound, D&C, barium enema and colonoscopy, all of which failed to detect a fistula.  My GYN also asked me in wonderment "Are you sure it's coming from the vagina?"  My new internist thought it might be a yeast infection and suggested probiotics.  But the annoying problem continues, although as some of you have reported, I never had an embarrassing moment -- yet.   There must be a medical genius out there who has an explanation for this.  
I just recently started having the vaginal gas as well. I have several checkups and I am healthy. No std's, no infections, nothing, I think it is a natural bodily function. I started exercising those muscles there (like doing butt pushups) and exercising my abdominal area, moving like a belly dancer. It is not sex related, I am sure of that, at least for myself. I think this is just a natural occurance for women.
I just started having this problem too! At the same time as all of you- getting up from my chari at work- and i relaly cant tell if anyone has heard me yet or not- gosh! I feel like it might gbe due to not having strong msucles down there- I am at my heaviest weight so far and i dont exersize. Maybe i shourld start- duh! i will let you all know if it helps...
Just came across your forum, I am 51 have had a hysterectomy in 1991 and with in the last year have had excessive viginal gas. When I move or go to stand up or cough it is really bad. It has nothing to do with sex but I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 1996 but am in total remission now and it still happens a lot. It is the worst and I am afraid to even think about having a relationship with anyone in the future because of it.My last colonoscopy showed nothing so I am so wanting to find information on this. I am a little overweight but I walk all the time. I don't know what to try next....
Hi everybody

Is it true that after delivery if postdelivery belt is not used the uterus will be filled with gas and the tummy will enlagre.  and if it is true how can be it corrected.  I am 34
I, too, have vaginal "gas".  I am 50 years old, have one child born vaginally in 1982, and have been through menopause.  Mine occurs every day and has been for the last 6 months or so.  I never thought to ask my dr as figured it was probably a "woman thing".  Now I'm starting to wonder.  I work in the administrative offices of a large hospital, and when I get up after sitting at my desk/computer I never know what is going to happen and it is very embarrasing when that LOUD noise emits.  I was diagnosed a few years back with collagenous colitis and have to watch my diet and make sure I have enough fiber every day, but that is nothing new.  Any information you all have is greatly appreciated!
i am 46 yrs old, never had children nor a hysterectomy, but about a yr ago i started having odorless, vaginal gas that gradually become more frequent.  all the drs i went to told me it had to be a fistula, that there was nothing else that could cause it.  the gastroenterologist wanted to do all kinds of tests, including a colonoscopy and some kind of enema that a diagnostic clinic does-i can't think of the name now.  it's something like garrafin or garragrafin enema.  i know that's not correct, but it's the closest i can remember.  anyway, not wanting to go through all those horrible sounding tests and unconvinced that the drs had a clue, i decided to seek out someone with more experience with vaginal fistulas.  my gyn told me the name of another gyn who does a lot of those surgeries.  i am so glad that i did, because he told me that he "guaranteed" that i did not have a fistula.  he said if it was a fistula the symptoms would be constant, have an odor like gas, and most likely there would be feces escaping from the vagina.  he said it is just a condition that some women unforunately have called garrulitus, that hardly none of the drs known about.  

while totally relieved that it's not a fistula that could get worse and warrant surgery, the down side is that there is no treatment.  i asked his suggestions for gas relief, as that is when it happens.  he suggested miralax because it doesn't have fiber (which causes gas), though i haven't tried it yet, and he said he didn't really know how well it would work.  he also suggested strengthening the muscles of the vaginal wall by doing tightening exercises in order to gain some degree of control.  

just wanted to share this information, as i know how desperate i was when trying to find some information as to what was going on!  

I have also been having vaginal gas for some months now, I am 57 , had a hysterectomy 11 years ago and no problem until now. My OBGYN told me a few months ago that my bladder has dropped a bit and could cause this problem, she told me to do Kegel exercises and we will see how I am next check up. It has been getting worse the last few days. I have to do more exercises. I also have diverticulus.
I am so glad I am not the only person having this problem.
Could it be stress related? I just put my 95 year old mother in a home and I have had a lot of stress the last few weeks.
Hi all, I am 49 yrs. old, had to births vaginally, and no other issues until I decided to have a hysterectomy.I am going in tomorrow for a Barium Enema to see if I might have a small hole in the bowel that may let the air in to cause the vaginal gas.  Like all of you, I thought it was natural.  I just had a hysterectomy, and like an idiot, I did not mention it to my doctor prior to surgery.  When I did mention it to her, she was sure I didn't have a fistula, there is no odor and I do not pass any feces through the vagina. If anybody has had any luck with their doctors, please pass it on.  It seems there are more ladies out there thinking the same thing, that it is normal.  That is one thing my doctor said, it is not normal, and not common.  I will post my results when I know them. I am grateful my doctor is a woman, she never questioned the vaginal gas.  

GasBeGone
Hi All,

I just stumbled onto your discussion.  What we need is a Dr. to monitor our comments and comment back!  I used to have the occasional sex related vaginal gas.  Now after my last childbirth I have it all the time--I have not had sex since the birth 2 months ago (I had twins by c-section the first time, and this time I had a singleton vaginally).  I am starting to think I have a prolapsed uterus.  My mom had it and she would have embarrrassing vaginal gas.  She had probs with her uterus falling so she eventually had a hysterectomy and I think had her bladder ligament fixed so it would stay in place.  I am sure my mom will be thrilled to know I am typing about her health issues!  Of course I cannot find any info on vaginal gas and what may be causing it.  Thought maybe my tidbit may help some of you.  Not looking forward to calling the Gyn...
Jeepers!  I had NO IDEA there were so many women with this problem.  I'm 35, have one child and major vaginal gas issues!  I thought it was just me, and never even thought to go to my doctor about it.  After reading all these posts, I certainly will...however, it completely blows me away that with so many women with the same problem, doctors can't figure out a solution!  Unbelievable!
Wow...thank goodness!  Glad I'm not alone here....I am 24 years old, married, and have had two children vaginally.  After the birth of my oldest I started experiencing vaginal gas.  It strikes anytime, anywhere, and without any warning.  I've also recently experienced bowel troubles (constipation, pain with movements, some bleeding, bloating) and am seeing my doctor next week.  I'm definitely curious about whether the bowel troubles and the vaginal gas are related.  Definitely interested in hearing what other doctors are saying on the issue!
I have had this problem for about 5 years.  It can happen at any time, but seems to be worse when sitting at my desk for a long period of time.  Pushing on my stomach & going to the bathroom seem to help expel the gas.  My doctor said that as you age the vaginal walls dry out, thin & stick together (I'm 51, but that wouldn't explain the problem for younger women).  It makes sense because I don't recall it happening during my period. She said it's common & recommended that I use KY Lubricating Jelly.  It does work, but only lasts for about 3 days & is not cheap.  It comes in pre-filled tubes, which is convenient, but does tend to leak out so I recommend using a light pad. I had a very embarrasing moment at work last week on the 4th day - so I definately will not skip using it again.  I came across this post looking for a cure, but it doesn't sound like there is one.  Hopefully this suggestion will help others.
I have this issue too, but I am lucky that it only effects me when I have been sitting for a long period of time.  I have had an MRI to look at my bladder and I have also had xrays for the colon to look for fistulas but that was not the issue.  I have been doing research and I think I may have figured out what is causing this.  I need to go to my doctors to have the test done but I know that I have not been checked for this.  Try to research Trichomoniasis (treated with Metronidazole) this is a watery bubbly discharge.  "Bubbly"may be creating the air that gets trapped when sitting for a long period of time.  It can also effect the bladder.   It is a parasite of some kind.  I do have an issue with a watery type discharge, I thought I had a slight issue of incontinence but that did not seem to be a problem when the Urologist/Gyno examined my.   Because of the expensive tests I have had this year I will need to wait until January to go to my doctor and I will write back if this works but I thought I would share my thoughts to see if it helps anyone.  You may just want to suggest the test to your doctor, it sounds like a very easy test.   This is the only site I found talking about this issue and my Gyno has not heard of the gas issue before.  If anyone figures this out, please share the information.  I am sure there are a lot more people out there that deal with this but just will not talk about it.  I know I even had a hard time talking to my Urologist /Gyno about it, it is an awful thing to live with.  
WOW!! I've had this problem for years now. I thought it was just me! Mine Vgas happens mainly around the time for my period. It's totally embrassing!! You have no control over it. I've been to different doc's and they said the same thing. "Are u sure it's coming from down there?" YES!! They couldn't find anything either. They looked at me if I were crazy! My lower abdomen get this terrible pressure. It's painful and at times I can hardly walk. I've notice that when a eat potatoes, beans, or drink wine the gas gets worse. I'm 44 and have had 2 children. Someone PLEASE HELP US!!!!!
wow! this is so interesting! till last night i was wondering if was the only one who was suffering from this embarrassing condition.. im 29, single and have no children.. since last 2 yrs , i have noticed that i have Vaginal gas while having sex, esp doggy style.  normally sometimes i feel there are bubbles of gas in my vaginal but that i experience normally two weeks before my period,, does anybody here know wat the solution to this ever so embarassing prob.. it was quite a nerve wrecker for me last nite as i was with this guy i completely adore when this happened.. a loud sound which kind of killed our libido instantly :(
Thanks everyone for sharing.   I'm 43, have 3 kids vaginal birth, youngest is 12.  I have this too, just started the last few months, getting worse.  It mostly happens in the middle of the night when I get up to pee.  Then when I get up in the am it doesn't.  I would be so embarrassed if it happened in front of someone!  I am so sorry for you who have to deal with that!   I hope we can figure this out together.

I haven't been taking my vitamin/probiotic shake much the last few months.  I'll try taking it again daily and see if it helps.  I'm not sure exactly when this started, but may coincide with the new hormone regimine I am on (Testosterone, Progesterone, Cortisol  for the last 50 days).    I have a very good hormone Dr., I'll email him (saving the embarrassment) and see if he's heard of a correlation with hormones.

It doesn't happen during sex (my Husband for 16 years) would be understanding if it did happen.  I have had it from sex before a long time ago, but we just adjust so it doesn't.
I posted comments earlier and since I have been to my gyno, she tested for everything.  I do not have Trichomoniasis or any other type of infections so I can rule that out.  I have seen several doctors, had a lot of tests and still no one has the answer.  I am fortunate that my condition is not real severe but it is an awful thing to deal with.  I have not been sexually active in the past several months so I do not think it is related to sex.  I have not had kids and I am only on birth control.  The only time I seem to have to deal with it is at work, where I sit all day.  I am not sure if food or drink makes it worse.  It seems that since I cut back on my protein shakes w/ milk it has not been as bad.  I do eat a South Beach bar that is high in fiber and protein and take vitamins on the days I work so I am not sure if that causes the symptoms.  The days that I stay away from the South Beach bar and vitamins, I seem to not have issues.  This is so frustrating that no one has received an answer yet.  This is the only site I even found doing a ton of searches that even talks about this issues.  My doctors have never heard about this.  I am going to contact the show The Doctors and see if maybe they have an answer, they deal with embarrassing questions so with all the experts they have maybe they know the answer.  I will post a comment if I ever find out what is causing this.  
I just wanted to share the email I sent to the show The Doctors.  Let's hope they may respond.   I know if you are dealing with this you feel pretty desperate too so this is my last attempt for help.  I have done everything else I can and I just do not know what else to do.

Hello Dr. Lisa,

I tape your show every day and it offers so much amazing information.  I think I have a questions that is probably the most embarrassing question ever asked.  You have covered a lot of embarrassing topics but I do not think you have hit this one yet.  I am going to give you a link to a health website that explains it all and shows that I am not alone.  I am user Health777.  I have seen so many doctors, had so many test (expensive)and no one has the answer.  This is the only website I found that even talks about this. If you have the answer and could help me and all the other women that cannot find the answer I would be forever grateful to your show.  If it is too much for a show an email back or a post to this website would be appreciated.  I would be mortified to even be associated with this issue so I would like to stay anonymous.  I have not told anyone, not even my best friend or mother because I am so embarrassed.  My general doctor actually laughed at me when I told her, I do see the humor but let's just say that was the last time I went to her.  I found an amazing Urologist /Gyno  who is really great but she has not found the answer yet.  

I think you can tell by reading all the posts on this website that there are a lot of desperate people out there.    
Med Help / forums / Woman’s Health / Vaginal Gas
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/WomensHealth/messages/1953.html

Thank you,
Desperate
I sent you a note. Also wanted to let you know that I followed your lead and sent an email to "The Doctors". My letter follows:

I'm having vaginal gas that is NOT related to sexual activity. I was offended that you had an episode that brushed this issue aside as just queefing.

I'm type 2 diabetic and as such try to eat a high fiber, low carb diet.

This all started after I joined a gym a few months ago. The problem occurs on days when I have a higher fiber content and have been to the gym the previous day doing weight training. It's almost always at work when I sit at the desk for long periods of time.

I sure would appreciate some serious consideration of this topic with possible causes other than sex.

Thanks,
Terri
I think chewing gum and consuming a lot of fiber will make it a lot worse.  Also, if you sit all day, get up from time to time and walk around.   If I follow these suggestions, I do not have an issue.  It really does seem to be connected to the bladder because when the condition is bad and I empty my bladder, it seems to make it stop.  It seems that the gas will come out at the same time as the urine so who knows.  What a drag to have to deal with this at all, I can not believe no one has come up with the answer on what will fix this.  I would be willing to do surgery if I knew it would correct the issue.  
I've been having this problem for some time now, but it seems to be getting worse. I'm so glad I found this discussion, all the other ones talk about it happening after sex. This happens to me sometimes at work, mostly after sitting for some time, but can happen anytime. It's very loud and humiliating. I can't explain to anyone that I'm not "farting".

It happens more right before my period, but has been unassociated with it too. If I have my period I can use a tampon and it doesnt happen in the office, but I cant use one every day.

I have two children, and a few months ago was I had a coposcopy for severe dysplasia (CIN III) I havent gone back yet to have my follow up because the cost is so expensive.

It's discouraging to see that noone has an answer. Thanks for all the posts, hope everyone keeps us updated if they find anything out.
After having my 8lb baby vaginal i have been experencing the same thing.. i notice its when i am sitting down and getting up.... my gyn said it's from being overweight... is anyone here also overweight?
my doctor told me that he doesn't have to tighten up the seton for my anal fistual but everywhere I have read it says this needs to be done. does it really or will heal without tightening it>?
I did not know so many suffered this like me, but unfortunately I was diagnosed RV fistula with fecal through the vagina after a very hard labor and delivery process baby was getting stuck my pushing wasn't strong enough plus high risk pregnancy now have this problem. no control of both gas and fecal. Went back to OB and couple rectal surgeons, heard after surgery condition may get worse they suggested J pouch. not sure what to do. Did research, not much info regarding this in the US. Anyone out there know anything can please shed some light.
This is nuts that doctors don't seem to have a clue about this annoying problem.  

I had 2 9 lb. babies and immediately after the first one, started leaking feces at inopportune times and passing gas (with odor) vaginally.   My OB said the muscles were just damaged and needed time to heal up in a year or so.  Unexpectedly got pregnant the second time before I had a chance to see a proctologist or even realize what was going on.  The problem still existed through the second pregnancy.  

Silly me--I didn't think not to try to push the second one out and opt for a C-Section (as not to damage things further).   After the birth, continued to have leakage and vaginal gas problems.  I promptly sought out a proctologist who used a probe and told me I probably did have a fistula, but he couldn't detect it without further testing and that I was probably wasting my time b/c the surgery has such a long recovery, low success rate, and possible use of that external bag to hold feces for a while.  So, I left feeling frustrated.  He also told me that it may worsen over the years and to come back if it got to the the point where I couldn't leave my house.  UGH!!!  Are you kidding?

Why didn't someone (my doctor) warn me not to push out a second 9 lb baby knowing of the current damage I had?  

Now I'm pregnant again and trying to work out the details of a C-Section  but am left wondering how to pursue this issue.  Who should I call?  Should I request further testing and a second opinion, or live with uncontrollable gas emissions and leakage problems.  Yuck!

Nobody warned me of the consequences of birthing large babies.
I'm 53, practically postmenopausal and have this problem off and on, mostly on.  I find it most uncomfortable and embarassing, although comforting to know that so many of you are going through the same sort of thing.  Maybe it is some kind of normal thing that happens to women.  I have had 3 children in the past and maybe it is worse when the bladder prolapses somewhat, putting pressure on the uterus. I have bladder issues.  When I laugh or cough, urine may escape.  I went to the doctor and he said there was no fistula.  I had a colonoscopy, and I'm fine.  When I lay down on my back and change positions air escapes or when I get up from a chair after sitting a while, air escapes.  I think being worried, having anxiety, or a lot going on may contribute to the problem just like it affects the colon.  Wierd stuff....
I have this issue and I have never had children, surgery and I have been thin all my life.  I have been tested for just about everything and I am healthy with the exception of this awful issue. The air I pass is odorless and has nothing to do with sex.  It only effects me at work when I have been sitting all day.  It is worse when my bladder is full, once I empty my bladder, it seems to go away. I can not believe after all the tests I have had that there is still not an answer.  I am going to print all of the comments on the site and send it to my gyno to see if she know of other specialist.
I keep researching on the internet.  I have had a lot of tests but I just read about a Enterovesical fistula: It mentions air in the bladder which seems to be my issue.   Air in the bladder in the absence of prior lower urinary instrumentation is highly suggestive of an enterovesical fistula.  http://www.urotoday.com/browse_categories/enterovesical_fistula/966/

Maybe another thing to check, although I did have an MRI of the pelvis and it came back okay.  I just feel like they are missing something.  
I can't believe I finally found other people who have this problem! My doctor thought I was nuts when I mentioned it. My gas also has nothing to do with sex. It is odorless, loud, and last a long time. I also find it to be a problem after sitting a long time. I've developed a habit of trying to tilt my pelvis a bit before standing up in order to try to release the gas in smaller (quieter) amounts before I stand up if I'm in a meeting or something but I'm still so terrified that someday it will just let loose in public.

I'm 28
I have never had children
I have no other medical issues with my reproductive organs, though I am prone to rectal gas. It had never occurred to me that the two could be linked.
I cannot believe so many other women are having this problem. I told my male
Doctor and his response was you may have a fistula, when you go in for your next
colonoscopy have them look for it. I did and the doctor who did my colonoscopy
said he saw no fistula. I switched to a female doctor and she said are you sure it is
coming from your vagina. I am absolutely sure. It is extremely embarassing and has
a terrible odor. I can feel it after I have been sitting down and am afraid to stand knowing
it will escape loudly when I stand up. But other times I will be walking or standing and
it occurs. It is the most embarassing problem. My doctor said she could send me to a
fistula specialist to do the dye test and they may have to redo my episotmy to correct it.
This problem began 8 years ago after a very bad episotmy with the birth of my last child.
My doctor couldn't see a fistula but said it may be too small to see since I am only
passing gas from the vagina and no feces. The odor is much worse when the gas comes
from the vagina. It is completely humilating. I was discouraged by the doctor, she said
it may get worse and made having surgery sound discouraging , she more or less told
me to live with it.
Wow - this is amazing. I am very relieved to find this board and see that so many other women are experiencing this issue. I am 47, have two teen-aged children, and have been having this issue for a few years now. It is odorless and definitely not only sex-related. It seems to be getting worse - more frequent and now happening in public at times (mostly in yoga class!). It is very humiliating. I cannot see a definite pattern but it may be worse leading up to my period. I need to track it better to see what else it may be related to. I am wondering if kegels might help, as I do have slight incontinence upon coughing and sneezing and am just wondering if that may be related. It doesn't seem like there are very many common factors from person to person here.....Very frustrating that we cannot find answers. I am going to speak with my doc next time I see her.
I stumbled over this website searching for possible treatment as I can see all of you have. I have been living with this vaginal fistula for approx 2yrs.  I was diagnosed with colon cancer and grace of God no treatment required after my surgery.However I had a ilistomy for 1yr and then contrasted this fistula, as all of you went thru i did my homework and found i had a fistula wasnt quite sure the type.I told both my rectal dr and my gyn and they couldnt find ANYTHING and i kept on saying this for sometime i finally had a metabolic imaging testing done and it appeared in the test then I recently had a colonoscopy April 2009 and my dr said well you have a vaginal fistula it is small "HELLO" i have been saying this for 2yrs and said it is very deep and small i have the gas and feces comes out Salsa gal i know how you feel there are times i am okay but then not, it is terrible why isnt there a cure for this ladies, i cant believe there are other women experiencing this unbelieveable, maybe someone out there will hear our cries and help us and come up with a cure, i have read about ANORATAB... have any of you?? God Bless you ladies, my gyn says to give it a year and it will heal nothing yet...so i have given it to God he will heal us ladies just keep the faith and remember he is here for us just give it to him after all "when we pray and pray with all of our hearts we better be ready because he will give us what our hearts desire when you believe AFTER ALL GOD ISNT A LIER........
I have been  living with  this  awful problem for about six  months.It  would  happen once  or  twice amonth since  last  year and wasnt so disturbing.Now ıt happens  everyday,everytime.ı have  searched  this  issue  alot,went to  several  doctors  and they would  look  at  me in  a confused and  humiliating  manner as ıf I am  making it up,I dont  have  the same occupation or the  embrassment I  have  lived  is not enough.They said  ıt is  either  connected  with an obstetric infection or ıt was  coming  from  rectum.I cant tell you  now  how desperate days  I  passed.While  I am  in a bus,in a lesson or an  important  place,ıt would  happen  and make me blush  or turn  my head down.I  had a colonoscopy and contrast  BT in which a thickening(7  cm length)in sigmoid  colon wall was detected which  probably  causes  the  connection  between vagina  via  bladder.I  have  seached this  issue  a lot,talked to  three professional  colorectal  surgeon in  my  country, one  of  them  said ıt is  possibly because of a diverticulıtis or  a wall adhession   in  the  sigmoid  colon  which  makes a connection to the bladder and  vagina.I read  kolovaginal  fistules appears from  diverticules the sign of  which  is a thickenning  intestine wall in BT.The sensivity of  many  tests seems  to  be so low to show an  existing fistula.At  the  same  time in  my urinary  tests very alkaline urine  and  urınary infection was  detected which probably is the result  of this.I  dont  want  to  talk  with  medical terms.If  I simply explain,the connection between bladder and intestine which  is  because  of a stucking wall or  a fistule is   the  reason of  this issue  seeming  to  be so easy but  causing huge  problems.Since  the  surgeons  said the signs are not  enough to reveal  a problem  in  kolon,they  refused surgery ignoring the  possible  and humiliating results  of ıt ın a  daily  life.I am still trying  to  search  medical  reasons  about how to  persuade my surgeon  about  a surgery which  is the simple kind of operation in  a surgeons  life.try  taking duspatalin(antispazmolitics and  for  diverticulıtıs) or  buscopan(urogenital antispazmolitic) to  relieve your problem  at least a little.I  have  been  taking these for  a month and  managed  to  relieve.I still try  to  find a  surgeon,discuss about a surgery.Since I have being  living  with  this,I sometimes  feel really so  desperate.I wish  the  doctors  arenot desensitized about this  existing problem which effects  the social life.I sometimes  dont  want  to  leave  house.All of  us  are waiting a certain  remedy for  this  existing,frustrating illness.If  someone   has  the  right to have  an plastic  surgery operation which is  so  discretionary,such a disturbing illness must  have  a definite solution.DOCTORS, WHERE ARE YOU?
Guess I got luckier on my Google search.   From what I've gathered, we Varting Women (I HAVE to write a song with that title!) all fall under at least one of a few categories: older, have had children, and/or are sexually active.  What do we likely have in common? Weakened muscles.  I found a column written by a Yoga instructor, that yes, discusses  'Varting'.  Her recommendation is to work on both the famous Kegel exercise and something called Mula Banda -Root Lock exercise to strengthen these neglected, abused and withering tissues.  her article and links can be found at:
http://yoga.about.com/od/askauntyoga/f/yogavart.htm (Have since heard other Yoga instructors make similar comments.

Guess we must get our collective ***** working gals!  (literally)  No more slacking!  Walk, breathe, Kegel, Mula-whatever, dance, find a buddy and DO IT!
I dont  think  yoga,kegel  or  dancing  can  help.This is  something  related  with  anatomy  and  surgeon and  grows  worse  ıf  not  treated..This  are  just  simple and  useless recommendations   and  doesnt  work..that' s  all...
Well gals i have my own bag full of problemos with regard to the va ja ja area.
like chronic itching and then it just passes away like it was never there in the first place.
So this is something to look forward to a farty fanny yippee.....
Waiting for the results of a Bladder Function Study (seeing a Specialist) I took a couple weeks ago to help find the problem of vaginal gas and bladder leakage (wear a panty liner every day because I always am somewhat wet). Also had a colonoscopy to rule out other possible problems attributing to these embarassing new 'body functions'. The vaginal gas is the most embarassing since it can not be controlled and I seem to only have the problem when I need to have a bowel movement. It's quite annoying trying to get to the bathroom quietly at work (cubicle environment) when you are passing gas every step of the way (I think I may need to tote a bell with me to ring to drown out the noise). After reading other's comments, I am getting more concerned that the problem will get only worse not better.
what a relief to find this MB. i suddenly began experiencing vaginal gas ("varts"! that's clever) about 2 months ago. it's not daily, but when it occurs, it's several times/day. also am noticing a slight discharge. no odors w/ either, and no discomfort.

we appear to be a very diverse group. i'm 56, post-meno, had 3 children now 20-ish. definitely not sex-, nor even masturbation-, related. (sorta miss the first, and keep forgetting the second -- that's what post-meno loss of libido will do to ya.:P) vaguely recall this happened occasionally in my 20s w/ an active sex life, and that made sense, but this doesn't.

i haven't noticed that it's related to sitting/standing, per se, but i will start paying attention to that. i did start a job in jan. that requires a lot of time sitting, but can sitting at a desk at work be so very different from sitting at my desk at home, or even on the sofa? when i'm not sitting i'm pretty active. i'm slender and have generally good health.

maybe it's related to alkaline changes in the vaginal tract? i was extremely surprised to find next to nothing about this topic when i googled it. what's up with that? i've researched stranger stuff and come up w/ a kazillion hits.

sheesh, our family doc of 20+ yrs is a friend and neighbor as well; he raises cows, so there's nothing i could ever ask that would embarrass either of us. i just don't want to take up his time w/ something like this.

i was starting to worry that it could be an early warning sign of something serious, but now that i've read through everyone's posts i feel a whole lot better. i'm going to continue to self-monitor to see if there's a pattern to it (situations, time of month, diet, etc.)

thank you all for sharing your stories. i plan to check back, and also plan to do some non-net digging. i need to research who is doing research in certain areas. fortunately i'm in an area that has some of the foremost medical centers and researchers ... we shall see where the trail leads.
From all of my research and doctor visits - I really think this is a vesicovaginal (bladder) fistula -  abnormal duct between the bladder (vesico) and the vagina. I think the gas is coming from the bladder - I have the gas when I am wearing a tampon so the gas should not be able to escape.  The gas seems to escape a lot when I am urinating so I think this may be the issue.  I did find  doctors that specializes in this but they are in Atlanta.  I am going to work with my doctor on this issue one more time.  I am going to print out all the comments on this board to take to her, maybe it will help. If not, I am going to consider contacting the doctor in Atlana even if I am in another State.  Let's face it I want this gone, it is an awful thing,

Here is the website to the doctor I found in Atlanta.  See also my comments above for a link on this type of fistula.  

http://lvratlanta.reachlocal.com/coupon/?scid=1128433&cid=329052&tc=09041920014513585&kw=7313645&dynamic_proxy=1&primary_serv=lvratlanta1.reachlocal.net&se_refer=http%253A%252F%252Fsearch.comcast.net%252Fsearch%253Fcat%253DWeb%2526con%253Dtoolbar%2526safe%253Don%2526cid%253Dtoolbar_button%2526attr%253Dsearch_websearch%2526q%253Denterovesical_fistula%252520surgery

I want to thank everyone for their comments, it is nice to know I am not alone.  I look forward to the day that someone on this board tells us how they were able to correct the problem; I hope it is me.  I will keep updating this board as I find out more information.  

I can't believe how many woman are experiencing what I thought was only happening to me!  I just turned 63 and started with this problem several months ago...I was sleeping and was awakened by these loud farts from my vagina...(I was so glad my husband has hearing problems!)  I actually was quite startled by it and thought "what the "h" was that!  I forgot about it but then it began happening more often.  I  noticed that it was mostly when I got into bed but every once in awhile it will happen at work or at the gym. I was going to mentiion it to my daughter who is an Rn but frankly it's so embarrassing and I could just see us laughing the whole time and then everyone else would want to know what's so funny!  I happen to have my yearly appt. with my GYN
on Friday and I thought that I really should bring it up to her, then I thought "well lets see if there is such a thing "so I looked it up and felt a  little relief that I'm not alone in this; although I a m unhappy that know one seems too know what to do about it.
I eat a very high fiber diet most of the time. I make lentil soup  and have whole grain bread for lunch at least 3 to 4 times a week.  I usually
eat oatmeal for breakfast and am quite regular although there are times
I feel I need to use the bathroom but to no avail.  I exercise hard twice a week. I've given birth twice and have not had a hysterectomy.  I think I'll try to pay attention to my diet the next time this occurs and I will let you know if I learn anything from my GYN.  

One solution might be trying Kegel exercises. It would help tighten the muscles and prevent the "gas" from escaping. Check out this website for more info on Kegel exercises.  http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kegel_exercise
Hi!  I am 37 and had 2 children vaginally and TWINS by c-section. (in that order) with my first one they had to vacuum extract her and I had a 4th degree tear to rectum.  I too have been experiencing vaginal gas for almost 2 years (I believe that long) and wondered why.  I've noticed that wearing a pantyliner helps diffuse the noise but NOT all of the time.....I think I've had maybe one episode where someone may have possibly heard it come out.  I just let that not bother me and hey...I'm only human.

I do think that sitting for long whiles can cause it but only at certain times of month that I'm PRONE to it.....I think when nearing menstruation......and I wonder too if my being Hispanic & lactose intolerant would be an issue and if my diet in wanting to try and eat more fiber here and there would have that contribute too.  I know I don't exercise and had been soooooo THIN when younger and into sports (lacrosse, field hockey and basketball) and would only consider myself as one who is a lil overweight.  I don't do Kegal Exercises.....just don't like doing them......and I do feel like my vagina is somewhat like "MORE open".  Can't figure how else to describe it.....which makes me wonder if that's how air gets somewhat sucked in and then later with pressure comes out.  Weird huh?  Anyway.....maybe with having my kids and bladder may have dropped or uterus, I don't know?  

I did mention to my young female doctor and she sent me for a vaginal probe type ultrasound but only benign type cysts that are normal showed.  I haven't pursued much since due to lack of time in my life.  I did OVERHEAR a doctor once tell a mom who was having a baby about a fistula type thing when TEARING vaginally and I thought of ME with the 4th degree tear.....BUT.....you all make me feel better in that it seems that this ISSUE occurs with a VARIETY of us in differing situations.......what it could be is such the mystery.... how sad.  But......hey.....maybe somewhat normal or expected for us and as long as my handsome and wonderful husband does not seem bothered by it and loves me anyway......why care what OTHERS think?  We all pass STOOL and VOID and am sure many pass GAS too soooooo.....don't let it get to you too much......

Oh!  I wondered too if anxiety could be tied to it as well or stress.... goodness knows I have my moments :o)   I wish you all the best and thanks so much for sharing.....I look forward to reading more sometime in the future.....God Bless and let's DO pray about it and hope it'll work out somehow in a better way :o)   Have FAITH!!!
Hi guys,
Vaginal gas is normal is not the same gas that comes out of the bowel so there is nothing to be embaressed about and if you notice it doesn't have any smell.It is just the air that when you have sex is pushed into the vagina and once it's finished bcz vaginal muscles relax and vagaina collapses the gas gets out.It's exactly like blowing your cheeks and then letting the air out.When I had it for the first time I even didn't know what it was,but knew wasn't fart and said quickly it was from my vagina.when it happened he didn't even ask what it was,it was so normal to him.I also need to mention that it always doesn't happen after sex even sometime before oral sex or even just bcz you or your partener have been pushing down your lower part of tummy happens.
I too have had this problem and after praying to God about it, I felt and I believed I was supposed to stop drinking any form of soda pop or carbonated water. What happens is when you drink carbonated drinks the air bubbles or gas go into your vagina and is trapped. After eliminating my carbonated drink intake, I have not had the problem at all. I am not a doctor but I do believe in the power of prayer and I believe Jesus answered my prayer and I am no longer embarrassed when I lay in bed with my husband. Praise the Lord! I am now free from being attacked by vaginal farts. Free at last Free at last! Thank God all mighty my vagina is free of gas!  
I'm 15 years old, I've never had a baby or sex, and I'm not overweight. I've been having this problem since last March. I thought I was the only one with this problem. When it first started, I would tighten the muscles in my stomach and it would feel like a big knot would come up. A little bit of gas would come out at this time. Then I found out that if I sit up quickly, more would come out. Now, it has become much worse. It's almost like I'm sucking in air, and then it comes out with more gas. I feel bloated a lot of the time and I have barely talked to my mom about this. She thinks it's a problem with my digestive tract and is going to get me Align or something to help me because I also don't use the bathroom regulary. I go about everyother day or every two days. The gas is odorless but now in the past 2 weeks there has been some discharge but its only a small amount and I noticed it when I wiped. It does have an odor, though. I don't really have any pain but I do feel bloated like I said before.

I just decided to Google about this today and now I'm even more paranoid than I was before about my problem. I didn't realize my "vagina gas" could potentially be something really serious. It seems like everyone on here is over 30 and has had kids, sex, a hysterectomy and/or overweight, so I don't understand why I have this problem while a sophomore in high school. I would really appreciate some help and answers before I have to get a gynecologist at 15.
How amazing to find you are not alone. I seem to have this problem right before my period. Maybe it is a hormonal thing. I am 50 and still having pretty regular periods however that is when the vaginal gas seems to come. Yes after I sit for a while at work and then it comes out. No smell etc.  I am also wondering about the fiber and calcium in our diets if that contributes it.  Maybe we need to email Dr. Oz too!!
I am 45 yrs old, have 3 children and had hysterectomy at age 42. It was after my hysterectomy I started having vaginal gas. I have had problems with gas and bloating for yrs which I know certain foods trigger. I have recently weaned myself off of Zoloft and Premarin and noticed the vaginal gas has greatly decreased. The unpleasant and frequent episodes with odorus vaginal gas did occur after sitting at my desk a long time and also simultaniously with rectal gas.  Before my hysterectomy I had a buildup of gas often very low in my abdomen and rectal area. After my hysterectomy I would pass gass from the rectum and vagina.  It is the most frustrating personel thing I've ever dealt with. I am so embarresed I don't even talk with my husband or OBGYN.  My husband knows a little of what's going on but has no clue to the extent of it.  We haven't had a sex life in since my hysterectomy.  I have been so mortified about this and it's good to know I am not alone. This is the first site I've found that addresses this problem so many women of ALL ages and backgrounds are facing.  I also started experiencing bladder incontinence while preg with my last child 15 yrs ago but got better for awhile after my hysterectomy. The last few months it has gotten worse again. I am also over weight. I think there are several issues contributing to my situation. I have only had one test about 9 months ago. Docs found nothing but suggested more test. I haven't been back. I pray a lot about this situation but not something you can put on the prayer list for the church bullitin!  lol...
I'm 32 years old. I had a c-section a year ago. I have always had a problem with gas, bloating, constipation, i've had these problems since i was a child. For the last month I've had excessive vaginal gas. It's also simultaneous with my rectal gas and the vaginal gas can be quite loud, strong and long. I know it sounds gross but it's true. It happens mostly at night when I've been lying down for a long time. I'm really distressed about this but I feel better knowing that I'm not alone :(. It's so embarassing because I cant control when or where it happens :(
I think that the gas is coming from the bladder vs being vaginal gas. I am going in for a cystoscopy to see if the issue is that. It seems that when my bladder is full, I have an issue, when I urinate a lot of gas will come out with the urine, then I seem to be fine.  I will keep you posted with my progress.  I have already been tested for a fistula in the large instestine and that seemed to be fine, plus there is no odor to the gas(thank god for that).

Gas in the Urine

Passing gas (air) in the urine, a rare symptom, usually indicates an abnormal connection (fistula) between the urinary tract and the intestine, which normally contains gas. A fistula may be a complication of diverticulitis, other types of intestinal inflammation, an abscess, or cancer. A fistula between the bladder and the vagina may also cause gas to escape into the urine. Rarely, certain bacteria in the urine may produce gas.

Doctors perform a pelvic examination in affected women. To diagnose fistulas, doctors may perform cystoscopy, sigmoidoscopy, or both and obtain imaging studies, such as CT, MRI, or ultrasound.

Fistulas are usually repaired surgically.

http://www.merck.com/mmhe/sec11/ch142/ch142b.html

Hi, I'm 41 and have suffered this air from the bladder/uterus/vagina thing for nearly three years. It started with severe constipation for which I was treated with Movicol etc.  I complained to Dr of the sensation of 'something coming down' the vagina following urination. She checked me out for prolapes etc, but said there was nothng wrong. I kept complaining of the symptoms until one day this air expelled itself and the sense of 'something coming down' was relieved,only to reappear everytime I urinated. So I return and tell Dr that it is air I can feel.  I have a cystoscopy, a CT scan and a proctogram, to see if I have a fistula, a rectocele or similar.  Nothing is found. None of the specialists express any interest or concern regarding the air, and almost shun it off as the most ridiculous petty thing they've ever heard.
But from my own research into this, I have discovered that if I push into my right levatator muscle within the perineum I can expel this air in large amounts. And it makes me wonder if this muscle has become slackened with maybe straining to empty bowels or has something to do with a nasty episotomy I had when I gave birth 19 years ago when I was cut too deep and had to have internal stitches?  Who knows?  But then that doesn't make sense either, why should it be only when I go for a wee? It must be coming from the urethra?  If I don't expel the air I have dreadful waves of what I call 'gripping guts ache' and a severe pain in my lower right side. But three years on...I could weep to think I have to put up with this for much longer.
Hi! I have the same problem but mine is said to be caused by the lack of vaginal muscle strength. I am 23 and have been having this problem since I delivered my son in 2007. I had a forth degree episiotomy and a severe bowel compaction due to my sons size.  I had to be disimpacted twice.  I had an anal fissure occur and then operated on. I was also sewn back wrong and had to be cut back open from front to back and resewn. I have severe nerve damage and am unable to control rectal gas. Vaginal gas is a whole other ball game.  I am constantly having vaginal gas. It is very embarrassing but a lot of it is because I have barely any muscle down there to keep air from coming in when walking and ect.  I relate to your problem and I feel bad for you.  I have been dealing with this since I was 21 and I have a long road ahead of me with all the previous surgery long term affects.
Hi, I've been reading some of the latest posts on this vaginal gas problem.  You seem to have done the most research on it -- have you posted anything about it in the MedHelp "Ask the Doctors" section?  They're usually good about answering questions, although this one might be too perplexing even for them!!!  Keep posting, as it's always helpful to know you are not alone...
Hi, I have air passing from vagina since I gave birth to my daughter, I am 37 years, she is almost 11 month, and I am sure it is air, I also have discharge lots and very milky itchy too.I went to see family doctor on Nov 1rst, he gave anytibiotic, I took for a week, this is cure for bacteria in blood he said, then on No 10 I got yeast I thought I called him he giave me 3 big one insert in vagina, it was stop itchy for 2 weeks then I had period, on Nov 26 then I felt itchy down there again plus heavy discharge.  On Dec 4 I went to see nurse practioner for physical check up, I mentioned to her about all the problem I have, she did swab test, she said no yeast infection, no bacteria.I have such bad health issue since I gave birth, I have hemorrhoid, vagina irritation plus air passing, light headache, sharp pain in abdorment both side, eyes problems, I have large fibroid, I still look like I am 3 month pregnant.I really concern about my health, I need my normal life back, dont know what to do. Help please, any advice?
Hi all... I've only just started looking this up this morning as it only started a few days ago. I'm 24, have never had children or any operations etc... My period is 3 weeks late (and NO! I'm not pregnant!) and I've started having serious vaginal gas. At the moment it's at it's worse when I wake up, then calms throughout the morning and tends to stop in the afternoon evening!
I have NO idea what's going on and if I should see a Dr (although reading some of your comments that seems like NO help!).
Any ideas... help would be immensely apprecaited!
I have had this problem for 10 years.  It is all due to the delivery of my first child.  I pushed hard and they used a vacuum to help deliver my child.  I tore of course.  I know it's because of this I will pass only gas through my vagina.  I hate it.  I have never had a test done but will inquire about this tampon/dye test.  When I mentioned this to OB for my second child he said I really should of mentioned it to him before delivery because he would of done a C-Section instead of letting me have a natural childbirth.  Of course again with my second, I tore again.  I have had an infection though due to this fistula about 9 years ago.  I had a fever of 106, almost had blood poisining.  They tested me for STDS!!!!  I was so embarrased.  Results came back positive for just a bacterial infection probably caused by this fistula.  I hear surgery is not very promising so I don't know what do to.  I have no smell, discharge or pain ever!  So I think the fistula must be so small.  What can I do, just another great thing about being a female :(
I am a 36 years old married woman. I have not had a child in 18 years he was a natural birth.  I recently gave birth 6 six months ago through C-section and for the pass five months I have had vaginal air gas.  It is becoming very irritatng.  Have you found out how to control it.  My husband is swearing I am having an affair when I am truly faithful to him.  Please can anyone tell me how can try to stop this, or at last control it.
I am 30 and have had three vaginal births.  My first daughter wa 8lbs10oz and I had 3rd degree tears.  My sex life and general reproductive health has been fine except for the fact that I have had vaginal gas.  Now, after the third birth, I have also found that I sometimes have stool just inside my vagina after a bm.  I feel a sense of low muscle control near the bottom of my rectum when I have a bm, as if the muscles are weak there, and then have to wipe just inside my vagina.  I saw my gp for this problem and she looked quickly and found nothing, but referred me to an ob.  In the meantime, I have actually looked myself.  I knew through my research that I must have a rectovaginal fistula, explaining the weak muscles, vaginal gas and stool in my vagina.  So I sat down with a mirror and found a small hole just inside.  
I'm worried that surgery might do more harm than good.  Can I just live with it?  Or will it progress and become worse as I age?  I also have a slightly prolapsed uterus, tipped forward, and I'm fearful that over time my pelvic floor muscles will weaken further and compromise my quality of life.
Any thoughts on surgery vs. living with a fistula?  Mine, I suppose, is mild because I can reach it to clean.  
This is so interesting as I've been dealing with this problem for some time now.  I am 37, have had 3 natural childbirths, all 9+ pound babies.  I had some extensive tearing w/ my first one 19 years ago.  I've also been told that my uterus is 'tipped', which during my last 2 pregnancies (my youngest is 12) didn't seem to be an issue.  I work in an office and after sitting for awhile and getting up the vaginal gas escapes and there is nothing to stop it.  My gas is usually before and always the last couple days of my period (post-tampon)  I've been reading all of these posts, cross referencing terms, etc and I found this site searching for the term "garrulitis vulvae", which is actually a German word for 'talkative vulva'.  This relates to a lacerated perrenium, which makes sense for those of us who have had children. Check this out:  http://books.google.com/books?id=sHLJqUIWKjUC&pg=PA484&lpg=PA484&dq=garrulitus&source=bl&ots=vU0A2-QjO1&sig=dQA8loaSs3hjqnxo7Z5lt8ofLHw&hl=en&ei=oCdqS8ayOYHYM770mZQG&sa=X&oi=book_result&ct=result&resnum=2&ved=0CAoQ6AEwAQ#v=onepage&q=garrulitus&f=false   I think I will mention this at my next GYN visit (which is probably overdue!)
Has anyone been given an explanation for their symptoms yet?   My Dr is totally bewildered now. Although she has been fantastic and sent me for every test available she now wants to have my bladder/urethra nerves checked out, but if they prove to be okay.....??
  I have noticed that on the days when the air is at it's worst my pelvis just aches and aches to the point where I struggle to get up out the chair.    I have been given Spasmonal Forte now to help with the bladder/uterus/bowel spasms that were giving me the abdominal pain after urinating.  They seem to help, but not with the air. This whole thing is still horrible and very depressing.  Hope you've all had better luck than me. X
I am a 50 year old, no children, Tubal surgery at 35, nothing since then.  I have had issues with "vaginal gas" for the past year, I haven't had a period in over a year now.  When I mentioned it to my MD he told me that was "impossible unless I had a fistula" and that I haven't had any recent surgery to cause this.  I'm glad to hear that I'm not alone with this problem/issue.  My episodes happen when I have been sitting for a period of time and then stand up.  I thought it was possibly the cream that was prescribed to me but I only use that once or twice a week for dryness.  I'm not aware of any pain during these episodes.  I have an appointment next month and will be bringing it up again.  

Thanks for all the previous comments, it is kind of a relief to know I'm not alone.

RmKentucky    
I have been dealing with this issue for several years now and have visited several doctors and have been thorough numerous tests (see my many posts on this page).  I did just have a Cystoscopy and everything was healthy.  I have been working with a wonderful Urogyno who does not treat me like I am crazy and has been working  with me to resolve this issue.   The newest thing she has had me try is 2 weeks inserting one vag suppository of 600 mg of Boric Acid.  After the two weeks, I am now using once or twice a week.  She said that the PH may be off which can cause bacterial, fungus or yeast to grow and could be the cause of the problem.  Boric Acid is suppose to help maintain the PH level. I am not sexually active at this point but  I wonder too if a partner can be a carrier and keep passing it back to their partner,  maybe check with your doctor on this.  This is the first time that I have noticed a significant improvement in the symptoms, I am not a 100% but this does seem offer the most hope yet.  I have not noticed any side effects but suggest using a liner with the treatment.  It is a cheap treatment so I would suggest mentioning it to your doctor to at least give it a try.  I had to have the RX filled at a Walgreens compounding pharmacy and my insurance did not cover the meds but it was only $38 for 50.   I do not know much about this product but there is also something available online called Yeast Arrest that is boric acid.  If you do give this a try please report back to the site and let us all know if this treatment was helpful.  
This is the most embarrassing thing that could happen to woman especially when in a meeting among males or when CFO of the company wants to discuss some matters with me; my heart starts to beat and I pray that I have no vaginal varts.
I too have the some technique that help; one technique that is to expel the gas, when I am in my office and no one is around, I press on my lower abdoment and bend slightly forward.  Sometimes standing then squatting can have the same effect.  It forces the air in the pelvis to be expelled.  Also, because it happens on standing after a long duration of sitting, I can usually stand and get to the bathroom before the gas expells.  This gives me an opportunity to force the gas out and avoid embarrassment when I return to the room. Especially just before attending a meeting. I have yet to seek medical advice because I am embarrassed.
This is a very embarrassing thing to have happen to a women.  I have been suffering from a recto vaginal fistula for around 2 years. This problem has affected my entire life both mentally and physically.  I have to leave places like the gym or public places, even work. My fistula is so small that they couldn't even find it.  They tried a barium enema and several outpatient testing at the gyn clinic.  It wasn't until they put me under for surgery that they found it.  In August 2009 I had a surgery repair for the fistula, but 2 weeks after the surgery, the symptoms (gas via vagina) was back and the surgery didn't work.  Was a painful recovery for nothing!!  Recently March 22 I had a rectovaginal Fistula Plug put in and I am just waiting to see if that works.  It's about a 50/50 shot though.  If that doesn't work then I will have to have another surgery done to repair the vagina wall/fistula layer by layer, with an even more painful recovery.  To all you women out there, please seek help.  It will help to know that something can be done. Good Luck.
At 56 with fibromyalgia, upper and lower back pain supposedly due to herniated discs, and a multitude of symptoms concerning chronic pain, numbness, my mind, my memory, my mood swings, my sleep disorders (both insomnia & somnolence), my personality changes, hot several hour "flashes" and sweating,  etc. etc. vaginal gas was just one more thing to worry about.  I was glad to see that others experience it, but suspect mine may be due to a bad D&C I had a few years back.  The guy cut through my uterus and colon trying to remove a uterine fibroid and then sent me home and apparently hoped I would get better on my own.  A week later I finally realized the pain was so severe that something had to be wrong.  I nearly died of septicemia and spent over a month in ICU after having a colostomy.  Now I wonder if a fistula is a result.  No man right now, so no sex.  I get it just walking though the mall.  Now that is embarrassing.  
I am relieved to have found this site and learn I'm not the only one suffering with vaginal gas!  I'm 51 with no children. I had a hysterectomy in my early 40's and just recently started experiencing vaginal gas.  It happens primarily in the mornings while l'm in bed.  Consistent with what others have stated, the vaginal gas isn't sex related.  I think I may have experienced it once or twice while I'm sitting--luckily I was alone.  It  never dawned on me how embarrassing this could be if I was in public, in worship or in a crowd.  I weigh more than I ever have and wondered if it's somehow weigh-related or simply part of the aging process....This is oddly strange and I'm glad I'm not the only one suffering with this issue--oh the joys of womanhood!

DJ in LA,CA
So glad to see everyone's comments and support, after reading the above posts, it seems there is no common denominator to this issue.  I am 40, 2 vaginal births, healthy, moderate regular exercise, and eat a good diet.  I cannot attribute it to intercourse as my husband works out of state and is home only about once a month.  I too have the most occurrences when standing up for a chair or rolling over in bed.  It is embarrassing, happened to me at work on Friday.  Thank god I work mostly with sporty type girls and passes it off as "whew, I just ripped one", locker room etiquette.   I feel if I were to mention this at work, there are probably more ladies there with the same issue. I will bring this up on Monday as we are all very close.  
I am going to try to cut out soda and see if that helps, even though I usually have only one a day.  

God bless you all, I hope that we can find a way to alleviate this.  
I was very excited to find this web site.  I thought something was wrong with me (and it is) but I was the only one it was happening to.

I think my problem with the varts began about the same time that I introduced additional fiber.  I do not know if it has naything to do with it but I am going to cut out the additional just to see.  I also think the yeast infection thing is worth exploring.  I have had problems with yeast infection almost all of my life.

If any one has other ideas, please let us all know.
I am firmly convinced that the fiber increases the varts.  I have also noted there is an odor.  Yesterday there was a discharge like a yeast infection.

I am fairly sure there must be a fistyla but with everyone's experiences going to the doctor, I will not be going soon.  I think I will try the exercises but I feel that will just increase control (which would be great) and would not get rid of them.  Has anyone actually done the exercises for an extended time period?

I am willing to try anything, except a doctor, so any ideas you might have would be appreciated.
Nothing has worked for me other than going to the doctor.  I am on week 4.5 of my fistula plug and so far the results are about 65-70% better, which I'll take at this point!  I find more fiber causes the gas to be worse and the symptoms worse (until I go to the washroom the next day) ; however, on the other hand more fiber makes going to the bathroom eaiser, which causes less gas, if that makes any sense.  Exercises did not help; in fact, that is what caused my fistula in the first place.  My completing too many Keigel excercises, I caused my rectum muscles to be too tight, which caused bacteria in my rectum which caused an absces (abscess).  The absces (abscess) is what caused the fistula.  I would suggest going to have this corrected and seeing gyno which will probably confer with a rectal surgereon to see what can be done.  It is the most stressful medical problem I have encountered and i'll take the 65% outcome so far from the plug.  
Hello all,
I understand that this is a common, and often embarrasing problem. Aside from those who have past Hx of colon dosorders or recent hysterectomy/abdominal/vaginal surgeries, this is a normal occurance, in the absence of vaginitis. If however, additional symptoms are present, such as foul odor, vaginal irritation, recent unprotected intercourse, or new onset vaginal d/c-a visit to GYN/ PCP is warranted to r/o infections such as trichimoniasis, candida, BV, or GC/chlamydia...etc.
Benign reasons for the vaginal gas may include, but are not limited to, overweight, recent or past history of vaginal delivery, recent intercourse/ or exercise(such as yoga) which cause opening of vaginal canal allowing air to enter, vaginal atrophy, recent vaginal procedures such as exam. Many of the above cause the vaginal canal to open allowing air to enter. Similarly, the vaginal tissue changes with age and childbirth, leading to loosening of the vaginal walls, loss of elasticity, and vaginal atrophy.These changes can leave the vaginal walls thinner or more open. Moreover, stretching and loss of elasticity of the labia can exacerbate the problem.
Pelvic floor exercises can stregthen the musculature around the vagina, urethra, and anus and promote urinary and anal continence and vaginal tightening while preventing vaginal, bladder, and rectal prolapse (unless diagnosed with pelvic floor dysfunction, d/t worsening of pelvic floor spasm). Additionally, if the gas problem does not resolve, continues, or worsens, surgery of the vaginal walls or labia may be indicated for personal preference.

CG, RN-ONC, FNP-BC  
I have been feeling bubble type feelings in my vagina and then it happened! I stood up from my hairdressers and it came out! Loud! There was no way she did not hear it! since then I live a paranoid life! I have started wearing tampons every day to plug it up! I never want to go through that embarrasment again! How could there be no help especially among women Dr.'s? Obviously its not a secret we want to keep! I want help and answers! I seriously worry about passing one and being humiliated all over again every day! Help!!!
thank you all for your candid comments. Good to know that I am NOT crazy or seriously ill. I am 55, good health, menopausal, reasonable weight, no child births and have had this for the past year. When it happens in public, or at work, I instantly start talking, rattling away like a lunatic!  I will try the kegal for a week,and stay off calcium (tho that will be hard!) and see if either makes a difference.
I have been experiencing "varts" for a year. They happen after I stand up after sitting at my desk for a long time. I am a very young 60.  I am 5'4.5" and weigh 118 same as in high school. I do not drink carbonated, alcohol or caffeine drinks. I am careful about what I eat. It is not related to sexual activity.  I have seen a few doctors and no help. My gastroenterologist, my surgeon (adrenalectomy) thought a fistula and sent me to gynecologist.  She thought same but saw nothing on vaginal exam so she sent me to urogynecologist an "expert" nothing was found. She said sometimes women just have to live with these extremely embarrassing noises. I spoke to another expert who said he has never seen a fistula in this country that we have too good medical care during even difficult child birth to result in fistula that they only occur in 3rd world countries where there is poor or no medical care.  He said if when I come back in a year that if I still want answers he will do the dye test & other more invasive tests to prove no fistula to me. I will advise my outcomes.
I am so glad to finally find this website. It is a relief to know I am not alone but I truly wish I were alone in this. Good luck to you all.  Please keep us informed of your quest.
First, thanks to whomever it was way back in the comments for giving the name "varting" to this odd occurrence. I concur with a another poster that after reading every single one of these comments, I see no absolute common denominator except that we all have a vagina! My "varting" issues happen mostly when I change from one position to another that involves even the slightest amount of lower-abdomen pressure: rolling over in bed, sitting down on the toilet, etc. I have not yet varted in public, knock on wood.  Since my husband is used to occasional gas from me, I haven't  explained to him that sometimes the sounds he hears coming from me aren't regular gas. But like others on here have reported, with me, there is no odor.

Just for the record: I take zero zip zilch meds/pills/calcium/vitamins; I drink alcohol regularly and carbonated beverages occasionally; I'm 51, still having periods, had two vaginal births over 20 years ago, am sexually active and overweight; I diet sporadically and exercise sporadically. I do not take extra fiber in any form, just what occurs naturally in the foods I eat. My diet is low-sugar, low-fat, whole grains mostly, with lots of vegetables.

I have been "varting" for maybe 3-4 years now. And for those who are wondering: wearing a tampon doesn't stop the emission of sounds, at least not for me. I have noticed that my varting seems to be more prolific during the periods of time when I also have abdominal gas. And one last thing: this kind of varting is, I believe, totally unrelated to the sounds caused by trapped air during or after intercourse. In my head, varting is gas-related, and vaginal sounds during/after sex aren't.  
Thank you everyone who posted here.  This happened to me for the first time two days ago and I was very concerned.  I am 41 and never had this happen before.  I agree that there seems to be no common denominator as the ages have ranged from 15 on up.  

When this happened the other day, I had been sitting for a while and on my period.  However, unlike what I have read here, I was in discomfort/pain afterwords.  Made me wonder, where did the gas come from?  It lasted a long time, more than 15 seconds, and was loud.  I couldn't make it stop.  It hasn't happened since, but I am very concerned.  

After reading this, I feel less alone, but am still concerned.  To the doctor I go :(

Hello Everyone:

I am very grateful for the Net and knowing I am not the only one with this problem.  I agree with an above post that it seems the only thing we all have in common is a vagina.  I have had this problem for several months and am wondering if it is possibly connected to my husband.  He is uncircumcised and an out-of-control Type II diabetic.  He has subsequent problems with his penis, because the urine contains sugar and causes infections.  He recently had another go with this and I found pictures of yeast infections that looked exactly like what he was experiencing.  I am wondering if he has left me a "gift."  I can think of nothing else to tie this to.  A few months ago I had a cervical growth removed, benign, and the ObGyn said it was common and nothing to worry about.  About 6 months ago, I had a low-grade urinary tract infection, but no other symptoms.  I am 55 and menopausal (nothing for about a year anyway-finally).  Because I have recently been examined, I tend to think this is all tied to the hubby.  He got OTC lotramin and put small amounts on his penis, which cleared his infection.  Rather than go to the dr with this embarrassing problem, I decided to give Monistat a try.  Last night was the first night.  So far today, no varts!  The varting has been a daily occurrence, so I am going to go a couple more days with the treatment.  If it works, I will let you know.  I know it is a slight risk, without a confirmed diagnosis of a yeast infection, so I chose the lowest dose, the 7-day treatment, rather than the higher dosage.  If it doesn't work, I will go to the dr and say I ruled it out and then take it from there.
It is a relief to see so many others with this problem. Just like with many of you, when I went to the doctors for help with it they treated me like I was nuts and didn't even try to hide their laughter- I got this attitude from both male and female doctors. It's amazing because it is so well-known that women in Third World countries have this problem and are severely stigmatized for it- there are even charitable organizations to get help for them. Yet apparently here in the US, fistulas, for the most part, just shouldn't exist!

I started having issues after a vaginal hysterectomy in 1998. The whole thing was a horror so I'm really not surprised that I came out of it with additional problems. I won't tell you about all the bad things. However, I got a real bad feeling when my late morning surgery was delayed until almost evening because the gynecologist who was doing it had had to deliver a baby and he actually came running into the room which didn't sit well with me- a surgery such as this definitely shouldn't be rushed through and it was a hard and difficult decision to make.

I started passing gas from both the rectum and either the vagina or bladder at the same time shortly after the surgery. I could not tell whether it was the bladder or vagina- still not 100% positive but I tend more toward the bladder because it feels like it is closest to the front where it is escaping. As time went on, I didn't pass gas out of bnoth pladces at the same time so much. It became more of a steady 'heat' that just kind of hung underneath me for several hours. I would get a whiff of the smell from time to time but people I worked with said they could smell me clear across the room and I was severely stigmatized- some people were openly hostile while others were amused.

After seeing the doctors who ridiculed and scorned me, I did have some tests by a urologist but they showed nothing.

I have had quite a few bladder and yeast infections during this time as well. On two occasions blood was found in my urine. I did have a kidney test- a pyelogram but it was negative so nothing more was done.

To this day, I still have the burning feeling- I have it both in mhy bladder and rectum- it is a steady burning and stinging feeling. Sometimes it seems as though the heat/smell and extra pressure comes from the front area first for a few hours, then eventually it switches to the rectum so I think it has to do with the stages of digestion.

I work in a somewhat harsh work environment with a lot of people and this makes going to work very difficult. My pelvic floor is a mess- tried physical therapy but there is nothing they can do. They did tell me I had adhesions- including the sigmoid colon- and I wonder if this has anything to do with it. Maybe the adhesions tear or become weak which allows the gas to escape. It is very difficult to find a doctor who will consider adhesions as a culprit. I think adhesions always were the culprit due to an infection which I suspect was a burst ovarian cyst back in 1984 but nobody was willing to investigate until 1990 so by then a lot of damage had been done.

In addition to the gas, I have had an ache in the left pelvic area. I have a rectocele there. I have a very cold sensation in that area that travels all the way down through the back of my thighs to my feet- don't know if it is a trapped nerve or another adhesion issue. This makes the hot air even more uncomfortable against this ice-cold sensation. These problems all started at the same time after that horrid vaginal hysterectomy in 1998.

I'm going to a new doctor this week. With all of my weird issues I'm uncertain about whether I will get any help. I haven't been to a doctor for a few years because I get sick of their attitude yet I still have to pay them!
OMG @ VARTING!!!!! Thanks for making me LOLOLOLOL! It's far better than crying over his horrible problem that I ALSO have!! :(
I'm 27yrs and since the past year I've been having similar problems. It usually happens after my period and it comes with a bloated feeling in my abdomen which makes me force it out! Just like farting but not loud. It happens at anytime... So annoying I tell you! I neve eat much beans but I think it stared when I increased my intake of beans. I'm going to cut down on the beans And see what happens. Will update if stops. Till then you should all relax and not wry too much ok!
Like many other people on here i can't believe i have finally found other women who have this problem. I have struggled with this for years since the birth of my third child, I have had three long labours, 3 large episiotomies, 2 forceps deliveries and my problems started after my stitches came out after my 3rd baby 24 years ago! Since then i have had uncontrollable gas from my bottom and vagina and have no control,I have had a repair for rectocele but the vaginal gas is the worst as it makes the most unpredictable and loudest noises. I have been investigated twice for a fistula with the blue dye test and been told i have not got a fistula. i put this down to damage to my perineum which is wrecked after being chopped up three times and felt as if when i passed wind it got trapped inside my vagina and came out noisily. like others on here have found its nothing to do with sex, that sort of noise is from obvious reasons. I feel as if i have a whooppee cushion inside me and when i go for a pee make lots of loud noise from my vagina. i am 57 and don't want to be a horrible smelly farty embarrassing old lady, every time i see a doctor after plucking up my courage i can never explain it properly and end up crying with embarrassment.DOCTORS OUT THERE PLEASE HELP
I am not sure if this is the case but I found that I am very sensitive/allergic to soy.  When my problem was the worst is when I was drinking soy milk and eating breakfast bars where soy protein was the main ingredient.  I was having terrible skin problems and my stomach would really bother me and big issues with varts.  When researching cystic acne to find a solution to clear my skin, I can across a blog on the impact of soy.  I gave up soy and my skin cleared up but I also noticed that my varts issue went away as well as my stomach issues.  Soy is in everything so it has been a long road to eliminate it from my diet.  A little soy still gets into my diet but as long as it is not in a large amount I seem to be okay.  My health is the best it has been in a long time since I eliminated soy from my diet.  I slip up sometimes and suffer if I eat too much soy, like the butter on movie popcorn got me which is high in soy.   Watch fast foods, fried foods use soybean oil, you will even find it in tuna fish.  Check your diet and if it is high in soy, try to eliminate or really cut back on it and see if your problem improves.   Especially watch out for soy protein; I find that soy lectin does not impact me like the protein.  I thought I was doing something healthy by changing to soy and it really messed up my system.        If you notice, I have entered a lot of comments over time and had a ton of tests and my varts are pretty much gone now and I contribute it to my knocking out soy from my diet. Please report back if this helps you.
im 41 yrs  with a three years daughter married but no regular sexual relation.  i started to experience this vaginal gases like three months ago sometimes once a week but some times allover the day and some times with sound and continuous for seconds , odourless but during cycle comes with bad smell, it was more when i had also stomach gases

i did not consult any doctor yet , what you think?
Thank God for you ladies.  I freaked out two nights ago, when I was awaken in the middle of the night with loud "varting"!  I, like a few of you, am due for my period.  At 45, my periods are changing, going from every 28 days to every 26 now. Anyway, when I awoke in the middle of the night, I thought, OMG, I must be losing a large clot, because that's what it felt like.  I ran to the bathroom and nothing.  I sat on the toilet and peed and as I was peeing, it sounded like someone sat on the largest whoppee cushion ever!  It stopped after I finished peeing and nothing the whole day yesterday, until last night, in the middle of the night, I varted again, this time, much less.  WTH is going on!?!?  I have been very edgy lately, more than normal, I'm good at stressing over nothing, and I have OCD.  Maybe this is attributed to nerves possibly I thought.  Who knows, but we'll see if it happens again.  Glad to know I'm not alone.  Thank you ladies.
I posted here a couple of years ago, wondering what was going on and not getting any answers from docs who ordered various tests that revealed nothing unusual.  I noticed the "varts" were worse when I drank soy milk.  I finally gave that up (btw,I love the taste of soy milk) and things seemed ok for a while.  Last week I had a string of days with the problem even though I had no soy milk in ages.  Could it be that I'm ingesting soy products without knowing about it?  If so, I guess I'll have to read the labels more carefully.
I am so surprised that this is a problem shared by so many different types of women. For years, I have suffered with this, but was sure it could only be related to a horrible episiotomy and tear with my first child. Now I am not so sure. Like many other women posted on here, I went from specialist to specialist, some of the top doctors and surgeons in NYC, and did the colonoscopy and dye test but nothing came up. My ob/gyn couldn't understand how gas could be coming from the vagina unless there was a fistula, so he assumed that it was not coming from the vagina, only that it "felt" like it - since the area between my rectum and vagina was extremely thin, following my horrible episiotimy / tear. But I know for sure that there are times when it comes out of the vagina directly. There are also plenty of times when the gas starts out coming from the rectum and then continues on to the vagina, making the odour and sound worse and 'bubbly'. Sometimes I will feel it coming, and thanks to kegels, can pump my perineum up and down which helps stop the gas somewhat, but not completely. At other times, I don't feel anything at all, just hear it loudly coming out of the vagina. Unlike many above posts, this doesn't happen after long sitting times or lying in bed. It's at all different times and positions, but often when I'm walking around. I am so relieved to have found this forum, because I was convinced that I would have to go through surgery, and now I see that I might have done it and wouldn't have even solved the problem, so all that would be for nothing....
I am going to keep monitoring this page to see if anyone comes up with a solution to this horribly embarassing problem.
Thanks for sharing!  I have had this after lunch, after sitting, and after drinking hot tea (digestive tea and giner tea).  I am going to cut back on gum chewing, which increases gas, try mirilax, which I've done before for other gases, and am decreasing fiber, as it has been increased lately.  I love the fact that the term "garrulitis vulvae", is actually a German word for 'talkative vulva'.  I don't want to be paranoid about this but it happened when a coworker came into the office and I laughed, at the same time making the vart.  It seems like its as uncontrollable as a burb, just the wrong end.  
I have the same problems for years now too. I use tampons to prevent the gas from passing. It has helped me a lot. I just pray I don't get other problems from wearing tampons so frequently.
I agree that kegels won't help.  I'm 50 & in very good shape, and do kegels regularly.  Today I had yet another meeting in a small conference room, stood up, and had a series of "varts". I felt like all the great gains at the meeting that I had made went out the window, as now I appear to be that woman who farts at the end of meetings, since that's what everyone thinks it is.  DOES ANYONE KNOW IF KY, as one poster suggested, works?  My OBGYN said to trying coughing to cover the sound, but it happens so quickly, that doesn't seem to work.  Any help is appreciated.
For all those who have eliminated most of the diseases, try wrapping a long piece of cloth around mid section from lower rib upper hip region till the lower ribs. The tighter the better, but shouldn’t be uncomfortable. This helped me a lot after all of the docs went to couldn’t help me.
I too was wondering if anyone had tried the KY jelly. Last night I did use a vaginal suppository with boric acid designed for yeast- which I know I have often as well as bladder issues -even though lately all labs come back negative so I don't bother going to the doctors anymore who just add insult to injury with their attitudes, not worth my time and money!

Anyway, so far all that did was make the passing of gas through the vagina (or bladder?) more audible when going to the biff. I know that the rectocele probably contributes- sometimes it feels like the whole rectum is bulging into the vagina- but I've been told that the rectocele is small and shouldn't be causing any issues. Plus it doesn't explain the sciatica-type feeling I have had going down the left back side of the pelvis into the back of my thigh, which still seems to me like some kind of an abscess which is usually associated with fistulas. I have used yeast creams in the past but stopped because they did no good plus I think they can cause irritation and vulvodynia-like issues if used too much, even though that is what the unmotivated doctors always told me to do- like that was going to help if
indeed I had a fistula! Just an easy way to get me out of their office, IMO.

Anyway, I have been waiting for 2 months to get in to see the only gastro in my area. Hope to get in next month but who knows if it will be worth waiting for. Assume he will want to do a colonoscopy since I am over 50. The last scope I had was a sigmoidoscopy about 12 years ago and it was very painful in one particular area and the doctor doing the procedure knew it but I got no follow-up visit for discussion- just a letter telling me that the test was negative as far as polyps, that kind of thing. The pain it caused quite awhile after the procedure so I wonder how a colonoscopy would go. I hated the way he kept advancing the scope even when he saw the incredible pain I was in and the fact that we never talked about it.

I tried going to a colon and rectal doctor but he barely gave me the time of day. I was probably in his office less than 5 minutes. At least there they had a patient survey you could mail in so I could leave appropriate feedback which I know probably doesn't do any good.

I still think that there is something wrong in the sigmoid area. My massage therapist says that I have a lot of restrictions there as well as in other areas. She also has on occasion questioned whether I might have some sort of abscess on the back left side. I read the other day that one patient's adhesions showed up on a barium swallow. If this is true, I wonder whether a barium enema would also show them. If this is true, seems strange that nobody noticed adhesions before on these tests, unless we as patients weren't supposed to know about it since so many doctors don't want to even talk about adhesions.

I have not had a blue dye test. But if the fistula were to be from colon to bladder, for example, that wouldn't show it. And I know that fistulas can go through stages where they can be larger or smaller, and also can be blocked by edema so any successful diagnosis could depend on lucky timing.

I also found out that I have stitches on my left pelvic area from my hysterectomy in 1998. Nobody can tell me why they were put there but to me it makes it seem like the surgeon (who dropped me like a hot potato after the hysterectomy) must have run into a problem or CAUSED one, but I can get no answers from anyone.

Anyway, living with this horrible smelling leakage is a daily hell. I get so angry when I try to get help for this issue and then feel like my issues are being trivialized and being ridiculed. I get enough of the ridicule in public. I don't need to PAY someone to give me more of it.

We are not nuts. We need, and deserve, respect and appropriate medical treatment but for whatever reason can't seem to get either one.
I suffered a recto-vaginal fistula as a result of a 4th degree tear during childbirth.  The OB used forceps.  At first the whole was very small and mostly gas leaked out..quite noisily.  The OB could not find it but a colorectal surgeon did with just a digital exam.  I've had 5 surgeries and still do have issues.  Did you show symptoms of fistula right after the surgery? (days)  Where are you located?  I'm in NY.
I'm in Mpls.-St.Paul, MN area. Tried going to Mayo a few years back but all I got was a anal manometry and defecography to check my pelvic floor. I went to a urogynecologist whose articles I'd read online-sounded like a good bet- but he barely spent any time with me either.

Besides the leakage, I have problems due to adhesions such as IBS and pelvic floor dysfunction (my pelvis is so 'frozen' that I absolutely cannot do Kegels) neither of which physical therapy could help but that is all that was recommended. Since U.S. doctors are so loathe to acknowledge or treat adhesions I don't think I will ever feel totally well. From what I've read, I'd have to go to Germany if I want help with those and I wish I were brave enough to do it. And since I have so many issues which have only gotten worse over the years- and made worse by the hysterectomy- I don't think any of them want to have anything to do with me.
As far as exactly when the leakage started, it is hard to say because I was in a lot of pain after the hysterctomy and was off of work for 6 weeks. I don't remember exactly how soon I noticed it but I do know that when I went back to work and was on my feet all day, there was a constant feeling of 'hot air' hanging there and I got very negative reactions about the smell- from quite a distance away, too!

I also have an over-all feeling of pelvic pressure that I had hoped the hysterectomy would have alleviated but instead, it only feels worse but I'm always told I have no prolapse. And as I mentioned, the adhesions pretty much make it impossible for me to do anything about it on my own, including physical therapy. Pessaries and dilators did nothing either.
You've got to keep pushing the docs.  There is one girl in my group that has fistula as a result of hysterectomy (over 12 yrs ago) and also has bladder issues. As I said, mine was from forceps.  Just keep plugging away at the docs..you have to be your own advocate.  When you do go to see someone bring a list of questions and symptoms and have your med records sent to them.  Do not leave the office until you are satisfied with all the answers!
I went thought the same thing. But I live in CA where we have alot of different hospitals. My first Doctor  I went to told me the samething that they could give me a bag on my side. That just didn't work for me. So I went to Cedars in LA. That doctor wanted to do the same thing. I said "nope thanks but no thanks".  I went to Stanford in Los Alto, CA I talked to a Dr. Andrews he tried to repair it 2x but it didn't work so he refered me to Dr. Solo. He fixed it!!!!!!!!!!!! We did the surgery and it worked. I didn't eat for 2 weeks so I wouldn't have anything trying to reopen it while it was healing. I do still pass a little gas from time to time mostly when I'm going to start my period. The vaginal area swells when you have your monthly. I hope my story helps.

I have had this problem for over 10 years.  It is so embarrassing as you have no control.  Ive had an MRI which showed nothing and also an endoscopy which again showed nothing.  The consultants just said it is one of those things when I mentioned the number of ladies with the same problem.This problem happens to me all day everday.  The wind that comes from my vagina also sometimes smells as if it should come from my back passage. Im at my wits end so if anyone please has any suggestions please let me know.  I am 47 with a daughter of 16. I had a natural birth but did tear.
So happy I've found this site. Only happens to me, so far, after I've been  lying in bed for awhile, and either turn over or start to get up, and without warning it happens and last a very long time; sometimes for at least 60 sec.!
I'm a very active woman, I work and I'm still very active.
Sorry, but i don't think that's common to all people with this problem!  Quite a few users have none of those, and I'll add myself to the list.  i am 27, no children, only mildy sexually active (once a month) and this happens mostly at night when i am laying in bed.  In fact, it wakes me up sometimes at night.  I thought it started because I started sleeping with a pillow between my legs.  stopped that, but the queefing didn't stop. Then it occurred to me.  I've had a mysterious yeast infection around the time all this started that hurt in a specific spot rather than itched.  My gyn told me it was yeast, and the antifungals (one oral, tube of cream topical) killed the pain during sed.  but then this weird queefing started.  This leads me to wonder.  Doesn't yeast (and yeast infection) cause gas?  That's why we put yeast in our bread, right, to make the bread rise and to put air bubbles in the bread?  So why can't a yeast infection in our bodies do the same thing?  I am going back to my gyn to get tested again.  

Maybe this will help those of you that have oderless vaginal gas, like me, so that it's probably not a fistula.  

The fact that the gas is odorless, on top of the fact that it occurs when people are motionless.  sitting all day, lying in bed, etc. leads me to believe that this air buildup is coming from within our own bodies, not pushed there externally, and not leaking from our rectum (because it would smell).  Yeast seems to fit almost exactly. Especially since i recently found out that yeast can present itself without itchiness.

Have you guys all tried to get tested for yeast infections?  and started taking/eating probiotics? They may need to give you an oral medication, so that it can work internally, rather than a topical cream, because that seems to work best externally at the opening.

Anyways, in case that helps anyone.
Just to sum it up... ODORLESS GAS, not sex related= YEAST INFECTION?  Can anyone report back on this?  I will once I see my gyn
Well goodness me!  So glad I've found this thread - please God some medical person will see this thread and really investigate this problem.  I have terrible vaginal gas have had 2 episodes of it happening in company - at work!  I've had to say "oops, sorry just farted - bit of a dicky tummy at the moment".  My biggest fear is it happening in front of a pupil (I work at a school) and word getting round that I'm the farty woman who runs the school shop!  I'd have to leave. I'm seeing the Dr on Monday (despite our lovely NHS in the UK it's a b!t(h trying to get an urgent appointment unless you're dying!) and having done loads of internet research have come up with a theory for my particular problem.  A previous poster mentioned her VG is worse after lunch - me too.  I have a job where I can't just absent myself to empty my bowels - receptionist (among other things) - although a quick wee is ok .. so I end up farting - this travels across and into my vagina and up to my vulva and clitoris.  I think my recurring bacterial vaginosis is caused by bacteria passing in the anal gas to the vagina - left untreated for the long period of time it takes to be seen by a Dr in this country, it leaves me sore and the discharge combined with the expelled gas from the vagina creates this monstrous sound.  I will offer my theory to the Dr and pray I don't get the brush off.  Good luck to all suffering with VG and thank you for posting on here, you've helped me immensely.
Have you considered that gas coming from your vagina may be from a food sensitivity.  I have food sensitivities that cause me to have gas and it can come out my vagina.  Just something to look into!
2.22.2012
What was the specific name of your surgery?  I've had "Varts" for almost a year now....and am so glad to hear there may be help out there.
Terry
Another thing I've noticed since this problem started is swelling that seems to start in the inner left buttock that almost pushes my left buttock down into my left thigh and vagina. I attributed the problem to adhesions. My massage therapist has asked me on more than one occasion if I had ever been diagnosed with an abscess in my buttock. I'm wondering if I might have a pilondal abscess and that the pressure might cause drainage and maybe an opening in the vagina. I'm having a colonoscopy next week so hopefully I'll get a chance to ask about this. I know that fistulas are usually associated with an abscess- was told by several gynecologists that I didn't have a Bartholin's abscess. I feel like the swelling also bulges into my sigmoid area and most likely causes me issues with incomplete evacuation. Anyway, something to think about, at least in my case.
Do you have children?  It could be a rectovaginal fistula.
I currently have a drain in to alleviate an abscess...I have had fistula since 2007.
Search Living with Obstetric Fistula on that social media site.  It is only for women who suffer fistula.
To all
I'm so glad I have found this site. I'm 41, married with no children. I had gas coming out from my vagina a couple of times when standing up from my chair at my workplace. It was so embarrasing. I wanted to ask if anyone has found out any practical ways to "reduce" or "block" this sound. Are tampons or napkins effective?
I know your post was in 2010 but I'm having a similar problem, however, for a different reason.  I have crohn's disease and developed rectal abscess that was drained.  During the procedure, surgeon noticed ano-vaginal fistula.  I'd complained of "passing gas from vagina" 2 years ago to Primary Care Physician.  She does annual pap smear, however, she didn't visualize deformity and brushed it off.  I also brushed it off trusting that she knew what she was talking about.  11/18/1012 developed rectal abscess that required surgery.  During surgery fistula was discovered but no attempt was made to repair.  I had a Cat Scan of pelvis today.  The test did not uncover fistula in spite of persistent symptoms.  Do you know what test is the most efficient at discovering fistula?
OH MY GOD, I THOUGHT I WAS THE ONLY ONE I AM ALSO HAVING SAME PROBLEMS HYSTEROCTOMY 18 TRS AGO THEY HAVE TESTED EVERYTHING ON ME AND NOTHING, i feel your pain i this
Thank you all for sharing your stories.  After reading through most of your comments I have summized that there are many things that cause varts.  In my specific case I think mine is hormonally related: I am a 48 year old who has never given birth.  I have been taking BCP since the age of 18.  When I stopped taking BCP 2-months ago that is when I started experiencing varts.  I have no discharge or smell associated with my varts. I assume that I am also pre-menapausal as well.  My varts are worse when I first sit up in the morning after sleeping all night.  I am going to self-monitor my situation at this time.
did you ever wite to dr. OZ or the Doctors show about this if so  any answers?
I'm 52 years old and I have had three children the youngest is 16.
I have had thyroid cancer and i'm currently on synthroid medicine .
The last couple of days I have been experiencing  hot air coming from my
vaginal area. It is not like passing gas, has no sound or ordor.
has any one experience this at all. I'v read the reviews but no one mentions that they have hot air coming out.  
i'm pretty sure that it has to do with giving birth..i had a baby to months ago and recently i started having this problem never had it before..t's kinda of weird feeling but what can i do??!!hopefully it's gona go away..if not as long as it doesn't hurt or smell funny i'm not planing to go to the doct for this...
It is interesting that Western doctors aren't so familiar with this uterus gas, but in Asian countries it is very well known situation for women. I was actually told by a acupuncturist that this uterus gas is not diagnosable by ultrasound or any other Western standard test but by traditional massagist and/or doctors who practices traditional Asian medicine. I have this problem and been told that it is due to my two surgical procedures including one C-section. So, I had a session of a special gas out from my uterus massage which is actually pretty simple, and after that I felt much better. They said I should have this massage for once in a year, and it should be normal.  
I agree with Juliana_gb on Aug., 8 in the comment above me.  It is really interesting that Western doctors aren't so familiar with this uterus gas.  Mine isn't uterus gas, though, because I had had a hysterectomy 12 years ago.  I don't have insurance so I can't get all these procedures to investigate my problem.  But, I know in my mind that I have a fistula.  I have done my own tests such as putting the tampon in the vagina and rushing a dye of blue food coloring and water from a turkey baster into my rectum.  Actually a gynecologist had recommended this and I followed his advice.  But, when it came time for him to be interested in my results, he again started foo-fooing my idea that I have a fistula in the vagina.  He has dropped me because I sent a letter to him and his staff saying he doesn't seem to have patience with me to take the time to listen to me.  The good thing is that I have kept my results of the tampons, sealed in small plastic bags.  Now, two weeks ago when I had a night of extreme pain when my rectum was filling (yet not voiding!), I decided to put a tampon in my vagina to test my fistula theory again.  When I woke up 3.5 hours later, I saw a pin-head size yellowish stain on the side of the tampon.  Then I decided to look a the tampons from last April in the plastic bags.  Two of them had the stain at the same place as I had 2 weeks ago.  

Now, I am back to thinking (after a few doctors at low income clinics have told me more or less that I was hallucinating on this idea of a fistula) that I do have a fistula and that this pain is when it gets infected.  I am able to stop the extreme pain by dropping some colloidal silver down there.  Colloidal silver is an anti-biotic.  Also, I want to say, that when I let gas rectally, it is also accompanied by a light, light brown or tan stain on my pad I wear because of some urinary stress incontinence.

My conclusion is that many doctors don't know about fistulas.  They must not realize this is more common than they wish it was.  Or, maybe it's possible they just don't want to get involved.  One nurse even told me it is common for all sorts of stuff to come out of the vagina.  I am now 64 years old.  My thought is that maybe even nurses think it is normal to leak gas or even a bit of poop out of the vagina after menopause.

Sorry this is getting so long.  Also, if this is something I just have to live with because I can't find a doctor who wants to deal with it, how do I deal with it?  I have started taking a probiotic capsule daily.  I have discovered that a bit of tea tree oil applied down there causes the pain to go away so I can fall asleep night.  I have a part-time driving job and when I let gas while driving, this sometimes turns into what I see as an infection.  So, my plan is to just take along the colloidal silver when I'm on the road to combat any infections.  I also wonder to myself:  Do men get fistulas maybe connecting the rectum to the urethra or something and being men, are they respected more for their health ordeals than women.  Why do so many women have this issue and so many doctors give them the run around about it?
I am so glad I found this! I have been researching for 3 months as to what in the heck is going on with me. It started out feeling like a hemorroid and so I got prep H and then went to the Dr. because then there was this pain in my vagina and it swelled up to the size of a golf ball and was there for about a month and a half and finally opened up and drained about 3 weeks ago, so I thought Bartholan cyst and he gave me antibiotics and then I got a freaking yeast infection and had two rounds of diflucan. Now I am still in pain and having a yellowish/orange sometimes chunky discharge that smells like yeast. When I had my period I was glad that I could finally use tampons again, but then it was like an air lock when I would remove them. I only have the gas thing when I wake up and it doesn't have an odor. I call my Dr's office and the nurse will call me back and I have seen the Dr. two times about this and while I like him and he delivered my little girl it's like it doesn't matter to him. Cut back the caffeine, get some exercise...Really?!?!? Really??!?! My husband and I actually had sex the other night after nearly 3 months and while I am sore, it felt good to have that intimacy again. I am 39 years old and I have a 2 1/2 year old via C-Section. I just want to cry!
Hi I am 48 and have had 4 children vaginally. I have had a problem with passing gas vaginally for years. It is getting worse now as I will be walking and it will escape and make noise and continue as I walk. It is horrible! I have had a rectocelle procedure in 2001 when I had a hysterectomy due to it's falling. I am due to have a cystocelle and wish they could fix me completely.The problem is that I had open heart surgery due to trauma from my ex and I believe it caused me to loose all muscle tone in the pelvic region. I don't know if it's because I flatlined for a while during the surgery or if it is from lack of exercise because I was in soo much pain that I could barely walk from bed to bathroom for a year. Anyone know if vaginal rejuvenation would help? I now have "varting" sounds when having sex which is so embarrassing!
It is very interesting reading all these comments.  I have had problems with this since menopause over the last several years.  I have talked to my doctor about it and she suggested that I douche with 1/2 hydrogen peroxide and 1/2 water.  She says that HPO3 is the same pH as the vagina and will not hurt to do it.  When I do douche with it, it does stop the problem.  I suspect that the problem is caused by some of the flora in the vagina that create gas and that my flora has changed somewhat with menopause.  Like many of you, I sure would like a permanent fix and mine does occur usually after sitting for awhile and often in concert with abdominal gas.  It is orderless and loud and embarrasing, but then I douche and the problem goes away for several weeks and now once I get an inkling that it is starting again, I douche and it goes away.   Good luck ladies.  I hope this works for you.
Your situation sounds just like mine. Being your post was from a while ago I was wondering how you have made out etc... Is it gone? Better? Did you have surgery? I haven't had this very long but enough to do research & find this website. Thank you.
Ladies, so glad I found you all. I am 68 and this started for me in the last few months.  Very loud "varts" in accord with abdominal air.  No smell.  Always in the evening and yes, after I have been sitting for a while.  I have had no diet changes.  Don't eat soy product and haven't mentioned to my dr.  It's very alarming and for  while thought I was nuts.  At least I'm not nuts.....or alone.  I will ck back here if Iearn anything
All I know is mine have become so frequent at work after sitting and i have to stand up to talk to a guest, that I am going to start wearing a tampon everyday to stop it. If I cant stop it from happening I will just put a plug in it!!
did anyone every hear or get a response back from "The Doctors"
It's good to know we are not alone.  i can't believe the medical field is not posting research on this.
I experience mostly during pms, previous before my period. as many stated this has nothing to do with sex or having just gave birth, my children are adults.  i have experienced this for at least 2 years. thanks to all.
I have experienced passing vaginal gas for several years now. I am 45 and have given vaginal birth twice. Both my children are adults now so I know it has nothing to do with giving birth. I still have regular periods so I know it's not due to menopause either.  I don't remember when I first noticed the varting but it was just an occasional thing. As the years have gone by, it has become more frequent. There has never been an odor nor have I ever noticed any discharge.  I can go long periods of time without passing any vaginal gas and then it just appears out of nowhere. Now that I know this is an issue with several women, I will pay closer attention to see if I can find a pattern (a change in diet, exercise, my menstrual cycle, bloating, etc.) I always wondered if anyone else experience the same thing. Just not something you ask a friend or co-worker "Hey do ever pass vaginal gas?" The worst part is that you have no control over it. At times it is loud and last a very long time. I can walk a long distance and it will just keep coming out with every step I take. I am so glad to have found this site. I will not be making an appointment to go see my GYN in the near future just for this but I will be sure to bring it up at my next visit.
I am 53 and have experienced air passing vaginally.
It is hard to tell if it is sexually related or due to times of inactivity, as it has occurred at least once after intimacy, and more so after sitting either at work or at home, maybe only five times over the past three years.  But... that is five times too many!
As far as KY jelly, I prefer organic coconut oil. A little goes a long way! Natural and chemical free.

vartingnotalone
ok so this has never been a problem with any other men i have slept with but with my current bf of almost three years i have never been able to enjoy sex fully becuase everytime i have a sharp shooting pain in my lower abdomen. i can only describe it as feeling like menstrul cramps. i am pretty much cringing everytime we have sex. can anybody tell me what the possibly could be? and does it have anything to do with this topic?
I am turning 50, but still getting cycles regularly.   I had one vaginal birth 22 yrs ago.  I pretty much eat the same thing every day so variations in diet don’t seem to be a trigger for me.   I'm 5'6" - 110 and very active. It started a few years ago once and while, but is increasing in frequency and loudness.   There is no odor or discharge.    It does seem to occur just before and during my cycle.   I read all of the very helpful posts on this page (thank you!) and tried a few of the yeast remedies with coconut oil etc. but no change.  Like many on this board, mine only occurs (so far) at work while sitting for a while and then standing up.

I work at home often at the kitchen table but it does not happen.   So at work I started to take notice of the way I was sitting at my desk.    I have a common office chair with arm rests that is adjustable for height and rolls on wheels.   I have a significant back support pillow that sort of pushes my bottom forward.   I noticed that when I'm deeply involved in what I'm doing on the computer, I scoot my bottom up closer to the edge of the chair and the back of my thighs hug over the front edge of the chair.   When I really paid attention, I could  actually feel the air or the openness of my vagina in that position.   Because it was only after I was in that position that I would stand up and it would happen.   So I lowered my chair to the lowest setting and removed the back support and it has not happened since.   It took some getting used to sitting that way, but I notice like this, my back is all the way to the back of the chair and my feet are flat on the floor.   There is no opportunity for air to get in.  I try to stay mindful of how I am sitting.  But I made this realization just as my cycle was ending.     I can only wait until my cycle begins again to report if this method works or not.  I will report back.  
I am reporting back and this time (this cycle) I practiced being mindful of how I was sitting and kept my chair low with no back pillows and I had no vaginal air release at the office.    I had one brief incident (at home this time) when I got up to walk into the kitchen.   I stopped in my tracks and realized I had just been sitting very slouched down into the chair with my feet up on the ottomon - almost sitting on my back.  So I'm going to keep this practice as long as it works.  Maybe some folks on this page can try it and weigh in?  
Hi everyone,

There seem to be all sorts of things that could be a possibility to contributing to this issue.  I was just doing some yoga type exercises with my 13 year old daughter and started laughing at her farting away next to me( she was laughing too)Found out all this wind she has is coming from her vagina and not her butt so decided to Google it.  At this stage she thinks it hilarious and so did I but as I can see it could be quite an issue for her.  I will see what else I can find out about it but I am wondering if it does have something to do with her posture.  She has quite a sway back and I know she needs some action taken on her overall core strength and posture.  She has recently (last six months) got her periods and would say she has been varting for about a year.  She said it occurs when she is lying in bed with her legs crossed ( as you would a child on the mat at school) not a posture many of us would do and when she is doing types of exercise like backward rolls or anything kind of upside down.  Tonight she was sucking her stomach in and out quite fast and strong and was even making the varting happen but said it usually just comes out and can't stop it.  Was a big joke but I can so see how this is not going to be soon for her.  
So there isn't any exact cause that I can see from reading many posts but the only thing that can be related in her case would be hormonal and posture, diet hasn't changed, not sexually active, children, operations etc.
Hope this is of a small bit of help. Sorry have no answers on making it stop at this stage.
Hi everyone,