Vaginal Gas and Fistula
I know that this sounds gross but if any of you out there have had this problem you know how embarrassing it can be.  I was told that I had a possible fistula between my colon and vagina. I went in for a test and my gyn inserted some blue dye into my rectum then a tampon in my vagina. I left the office and came back in 1 hour. She took out the tampon and there was no blue dye. So she said no fistula between the colon and vagina. So I went home and went to the bathroom. Well there was blue dye in my urine. So I went back into the office where they drew some urine with a catherer. There was blue tint to it. So she said that it was between my colon and bladder. So I went to the Cleveland Clinic and was checked and they could not find anything. They even did a coloscopy. I might mention that I had a hysterectomy 10 years ago and my bowel was snipped, but my problem did not start until about 5 years ago.
I don't know what my next step should be. It occurs out of the blue and I have no control over it. If I am sitting up in bed and have gas it is clearly coming from both ends. You know if you have regular gas you would at least have time to walk out of the room, but with this you don't. I want to hide from the world.
Please help me and guide me as what to do next. I am totally at a loss.
Thank you
Something else I would like to add to my previous post is that I have 2 sisters who both have vaginal gas.  However, we have all had different physical experiences.  For example:  As I stated, I had 3 normal pregnancies.  One sister had 1 pregnancy and a hysterectomy.  The second sister has never been pregnant.  We are all over the age of 40 and have different diets and varying degrees of vaginal gas.  Therefore, there appears to be no connection between childbirth, sex, or diet and vaginal gas.
Finally, a site that lets me know my problem is not unique.  Before stumbling upon this site, I could not find any reference to this problem on any medical website.  I've had vaginal gas on and off for over 10 years. When it first began, my internist suggested it was sex related.  I did not accept that.  Since then, I consulted my GYN who suspected a fistula, even though the gas is odorless.  I had an ultrasound, D&C, barium enema and colonoscopy, all of which failed to detect a fistula.  My GYN also asked me in wonderment "Are you sure it's coming from the vagina?"  My new internist thought it might be a yeast infection and suggested probiotics.  But the annoying problem continues, although as some of you have reported, I never had an embarrassing moment -- yet.   There must be a medical genius out there who has an explanation for this.  
I just recently started having the vaginal gas as well. I have several checkups and I am healthy. No std's, no infections, nothing, I think it is a natural bodily function. I started exercising those muscles there (like doing butt pushups) and exercising my abdominal area, moving like a belly dancer. It is not sex related, I am sure of that, at least for myself. I think this is just a natural occurance for women.
I just started having this problem too! At the same time as all of you- getting up from my chari at work- and i relaly cant tell if anyone has heard me yet or not- gosh! I feel like it might gbe due to not having strong msucles down there- I am at my heaviest weight so far and i dont exersize. Maybe i shourld start- duh! i will let you all know if it helps...
Just came across your forum, I am 51 have had a hysterectomy in 1991 and with in the last year have had excessive viginal gas. When I move or go to stand up or cough it is really bad. It has nothing to do with sex but I was diagnosed with Crohn's disease in 1996 but am in total remission now and it still happens a lot. It is the worst and I am afraid to even think about having a relationship with anyone in the future because of it.My last colonoscopy showed nothing so I am so wanting to find information on this. I am a little overweight but I walk all the time. I don't know what to try next....
Hi everybody

Is it true that after delivery if postdelivery belt is not used the uterus will be filled with gas and the tummy will enlagre.  and if it is true how can be it corrected.  I am 34
I, too, have vaginal "gas".  I am 50 years old, have one child born vaginally in 1982, and have been through menopause.  Mine occurs every day and has been for the last 6 months or so.  I never thought to ask my dr as figured it was probably a "woman thing".  Now I'm starting to wonder.  I work in the administrative offices of a large hospital, and when I get up after sitting at my desk/computer I never know what is going to happen and it is very embarrasing when that LOUD noise emits.  I was diagnosed a few years back with collagenous colitis and have to watch my diet and make sure I have enough fiber every day, but that is nothing new.  Any information you all have is greatly appreciated!
i am 46 yrs old, never had children nor a hysterectomy, but about a yr ago i started having odorless, vaginal gas that gradually become more frequent.  all the drs i went to told me it had to be a fistula, that there was nothing else that could cause it.  the gastroenterologist wanted to do all kinds of tests, including a colonoscopy and some kind of enema that a diagnostic clinic does-i can't think of the name now.  it's something like garrafin or garragrafin enema.  i know that's not correct, but it's the closest i can remember.  anyway, not wanting to go through all those horrible sounding tests and unconvinced that the drs had a clue, i decided to seek out someone with more experience with vaginal fistulas.  my gyn told me the name of another gyn who does a lot of those surgeries.  i am so glad that i did, because he told me that he "guaranteed" that i did not have a fistula.  he said if it was a fistula the symptoms would be constant, have an odor like gas, and most likely there would be feces escaping from the vagina.  he said it is just a condition that some women unforunately have called garrulitus, that hardly none of the drs known about.  

while totally relieved that it's not a fistula that could get worse and warrant surgery, the down side is that there is no treatment.  i asked his suggestions for gas relief, as that is when it happens.  he suggested miralax because it doesn't have fiber (which causes gas), though i haven't tried it yet, and he said he didn't really know how well it would work.  he also suggested strengthening the muscles of the vaginal wall by doing tightening exercises in order to gain some degree of control.  

just wanted to share this information, as i know how desperate i was when trying to find some information as to what was going on!  

I have also been having vaginal gas for some months now, I am 57 , had a hysterectomy 11 years ago and no problem until now. My OBGYN told me a few months ago that my bladder has dropped a bit and could cause this problem, she told me to do Kegel exercises and we will see how I am next check up. It has been getting worse the last few days. I have to do more exercises. I also have diverticulus.
I am so glad I am not the only person having this problem.
Could it be stress related? I just put my 95 year old mother in a home and I have had a lot of stress the last few weeks.
Hi all, I am 49 yrs. old, had to births vaginally, and no other issues until I decided to have a hysterectomy.I am going in tomorrow for a Barium Enema to see if I might have a small hole in the bowel that may let the air in to cause the vaginal gas.  Like all of you, I thought it was natural.  I just had a hysterectomy, and like an idiot, I did not mention it to my doctor prior to surgery.  When I did mention it to her, she was sure I didn't have a fistula, there is no odor and I do not pass any feces through the vagina. If anybody has had any luck with their doctors, please pass it on.  It seems there are more ladies out there thinking the same thing, that it is normal.  That is one thing my doctor said, it is not normal, and not common.  I will post my results when I know them. I am grateful my doctor is a woman, she never questioned the vaginal gas.  

GasBeGone
Hi All,

I just stumbled onto your discussion.  What we need is a Dr. to monitor our comments and comment back!  I used to have the occasional sex related vaginal gas.  Now after my last childbirth I have it all the time--I have not had sex since the birth 2 months ago (I had twins by c-section the first time, and this time I had a singleton vaginally).  I am starting to think I have a prolapsed uterus.  My mom had it and she would have embarrrassing vaginal gas.  She had probs with her uterus falling so she eventually had a hysterectomy and I think had her bladder ligament fixed so it would stay in place.  I am sure my mom will be thrilled to know I am typing about her health issues!  Of course I cannot find any info on vaginal gas and what may be causing it.  Thought maybe my tidbit may help some of you.  Not looking forward to calling the Gyn...
Jeepers!  I had NO IDEA there were so many women with this problem.  I'm 35, have one child and major vaginal gas issues!  I thought it was just me, and never even thought to go to my doctor about it.  After reading all these posts, I certainly will...however, it completely blows me away that with so many women with the same problem, doctors can't figure out a solution!  Unbelievable!
Wow...thank goodness!  Glad I'm not alone here....I am 24 years old, married, and have had two children vaginally.  After the birth of my oldest I started experiencing vaginal gas.  It strikes anytime, anywhere, and without any warning.  I've also recently experienced bowel troubles (constipation, pain with movements, some bleeding, bloating) and am seeing my doctor next week.  I'm definitely curious about whether the bowel troubles and the vaginal gas are related.  Definitely interested in hearing what other doctors are saying on the issue!
I have had this problem for about 5 years.  It can happen at any time, but seems to be worse when sitting at my desk for a long period of time.  Pushing on my stomach & going to the bathroom seem to help expel the gas.  My doctor said that as you age the vaginal walls dry out, thin & stick together (I'm 51, but that wouldn't explain the problem for younger women).  It makes sense because I don't recall it happening during my period. She said it's common & recommended that I use KY Lubricating Jelly.  It does work, but only lasts for about 3 days & is not cheap.  It comes in pre-filled tubes, which is convenient, but does tend to leak out so I recommend using a light pad. I had a very embarrasing moment at work last week on the 4th day - so I definately will not skip using it again.  I came across this post looking for a cure, but it doesn't sound like there is one.  Hopefully this suggestion will help others.
I have this issue too, but I am lucky that it only effects me when I have been sitting for a long period of time.  I have had an MRI to look at my bladder and I have also had xrays for the colon to look for fistulas but that was not the issue.  I have been doing research and I think I may have figured out what is causing this.  I need to go to my doctors to have the test done but I know that I have not been checked for this.  Try to research Trichomoniasis (treated with Metronidazole) this is a watery bubbly discharge.  "Bubbly"may be creating the air that gets trapped when sitting for a long period of time.  It can also effect the bladder.   It is a parasite of some kind.  I do have an issue with a watery type discharge, I thought I had a slight issue of incontinence but that did not seem to be a problem when the Urologist/Gyno examined my.   Because of the expensive tests I have had this year I will need to wait until January to go to my doctor and I will write back if this works but I thought I would share my thoughts to see if it helps anyone.  You may just want to suggest the test to your doctor, it sounds like a very easy test.   This is the only site I found talking about this issue and my Gyno has not heard of the gas issue before.  If anyone figures this out, please share the information.  I am sure there are a lot more people out there that deal with this but just will not talk about it.  I know I even had a hard time talking to my Urologist /Gyno about it, it is an awful thing to live with.  
WOW!! I've had this problem for years now. I thought it was just me! Mine Vgas happens mainly around the time for my period. It's totally embrassing!! You have no control over it. I've been to different doc's and they said the same thing. "Are u sure it's coming from down there?" YES!! They couldn't find anything either. They looked at me if I were crazy! My lower abdomen get this terrible pressure. It's painful and at times I can hardly walk. I've notice that when a eat potatoes, beans, or drink wine the gas gets worse. I'm 44 and have had 2 children. Someone PLEASE HELP US!!!!!
wow! this is so interesting! till last night i was wondering if was the only one who was suffering from this embarrassing condition.. im 29, single and have no children.. since last 2 yrs , i have noticed that i have Vaginal gas while having sex, esp doggy style.  normally sometimes i feel there are bubbles of gas in my vaginal but that i experience normally two weeks before my period,, does anybody here know wat the solution to this ever so embarassing prob.. it was quite a nerve wrecker for me last nite as i was with this guy i completely adore when this happened.. a loud sound which kind of killed our libido instantly :(
Thanks everyone for sharing.   I'm 43, have 3 kids vaginal birth, youngest is 12.  I have this too, just started the last few months, getting worse.  It mostly happens in the middle of the night when I get up to pee.  Then when I get up in the am it doesn't.  I would be so embarrassed if it happened in front of someone!  I am so sorry for you who have to deal with that!   I hope we can figure this out together.

I haven't been taking my vitamin/probiotic shake much the last few months.  I'll try taking it again daily and see if it helps.  I'm not sure exactly when this started, but may coincide with the new hormone regimine I am on (Testosterone, Progesterone, Cortisol  for the last 50 days).    I have a very good hormone Dr., I'll email him (saving the embarrassment) and see if he's heard of a correlation with hormones.

It doesn't happen during sex (my Husband for 16 years) would be understanding if it did happen.  I have had it from sex before a long time ago, but we just adjust so it doesn't.
I posted comments earlier and since I have been to my gyno, she tested for everything.  I do not have Trichomoniasis or any other type of infections so I can rule that out.  I have seen several doctors, had a lot of tests and still no one has the answer.  I am fortunate that my condition is not real severe but it is an awful thing to deal with.  I have not been sexually active in the past several months so I do not think it is related to sex.  I have not had kids and I am only on birth control.  The only time I seem to have to deal with it is at work, where I sit all day.  I am not sure if food or drink makes it worse.  It seems that since I cut back on my protein shakes w/ milk it has not been as bad.  I do eat a South Beach bar that is high in fiber and protein and take vitamins on the days I work so I am not sure if that causes the symptoms.  The days that I stay away from the South Beach bar and vitamins, I seem to not have issues.  This is so frustrating that no one has received an answer yet.  This is the only site I even found doing a ton of searches that even talks about this issues.  My doctors have never heard about this.  I am going to contact the show The Doctors and see if maybe they have an answer, they deal with embarrassing questions so with all the experts they have maybe they know the answer.  I will post a comment if I ever find out what is causing this.  
I just wanted to share the email I sent to the show The Doctors.  Let's hope they may respond.   I know if you are dealing with this you feel pretty desperate too so this is my last attempt for help.  I have done everything else I can and I just do not know what else to do.

Hello Dr. Lisa,

I tape your show every day and it offers so much amazing information.  I think I have a questions that is probably the most embarrassing question ever asked.  You have covered a lot of embarrassing topics but I do not think you have hit this one yet.  I am going to give you a link to a health website that explains it all and shows that I am not alone.  I am user Health777.  I have seen so many doctors, had so many test (expensive)and no one has the answer.  This is the only website I found that even talks about this. If you have the answer and could help me and all the other women that cannot find the answer I would be forever grateful to your show.  If it is too much for a show an email back or a post to this website would be appreciated.  I would be mortified to even be associated with this issue so I would like to stay anonymous.  I have not told anyone, not even my best friend or mother because I am so embarrassed.  My general doctor actually laughed at me when I told her, I do see the humor but let's just say that was the last time I went to her.  I found an amazing Urologist /Gyno  who is really great but she has not found the answer yet.  

I think you can tell by reading all the posts on this website that there are a lot of desperate people out there.    
Med Help / forums / Woman’s Health / Vaginal Gas
http://www.medhelp.org/forums/WomensHealth/messages/1953.html

Thank you,
Desperate