Vaginal Itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal Itching

Hi, ive been having a problem for a few months now, i have been to 5 different obgyn's to find out why this is happening. I have severe vaginal itching, I have been tested for all STD's, and for a yeast infection. all negitive. then i changed all my undies and clothes to loose fitting and 100% cotton undies ( or none at all on) and i still cant stop itching, i stopped haveing sex, use cetafil to clease or just water at times. i have to literally walk around with an ice pack between my legs to sleep, and stop the itch...help me...should i see a dermatologist???
Ok Are you ready for this?  FABRIC SOFTENER.  Are you using it in the laundry?  If so don't and see what happens, it might be this.  
I had a similar problem, it felt like crabs or something crazy like that...(remember the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont HIgh? the boys visited a hooker to lose their virginity and got crabs).  Anyway, it wasn't but it felt like that.  I finally figured out the fabric softener (it was my undies) was causing the itch!!  How nuts, right?  I think it was Downy.  Sometimes it can be fragranced detergents/fabric softener/and dryer sheets.
Also-DO NOT SCRATCH!!! makes it much worse.
I have had a few bouts of a similar problem to you.  Also was tested for STDS etc - all clear !!  WE recently went to Malaysia for 2 weeks - and I had a shocking outbreak - itchy, red, sore - horrible.  It really put a dampener on parts of our holiday.  As soon as we arrived home I went to a different GP and he advised it was dermatitis.  I was prescribed cream which did clear it up within a few days and it hasnt returned - touch wood.  Maybe go to your GP and query dermatitis !!  Apparently it can occur suddenly as it did with me - also while we were away I was washing out underwear in fairly strong soap - this probably contributed - post me any questions you may have
Good luck - I know how distressing it is
thank you for your comment...ive tried EVERYTHING...i went out and bought brand new undies, wear loose clothing, no soap down there, i dont even dry my undies or even wash them with anything else....if it was an allergic reaction to something, how long until it does clear up, are we talking months???? i was instructed to put lotion down there....that maybe its dry.?.?.? im at my last wits with this, it will clear up and then then come right back....could it be something im eating??? or is that crazy?? i went to the docs again yesterday....they had nerve to tell me that its in my head and they gave me anti-anxiety pills???? what the heck is that about???? they told me it was in my head....i KNOW im not crazy AGHHHHHH
my first instinct about the dr. giving you the anxiety pills for the itching was like, WHAT? what kind of dr. is this? but once i calmed down, in defense of the dr. he may have been attributing the itching to stress. my friend broke out in a terrible itchy rash (all over body,face) and tried everything to figure it out. in the end, dr. concluded it was stress related. her itchyness has gone down considerably but does occur every now and then. are you stressed about anything? are you itchy on the outside or the inside? what about your toilet paper?
The itching is in the fold of the lips...stress...?? hmmm...nothing out of the ord. i accually have come across more stress in the last two days upon finding out my mother has breast cancer than i have in a long time....and im fine down there as this is happening....i did look at my package of pads ive been using (my whole life-the always brand) they dont say unscented but they also dont say scented either...so i went and got UNSCENTED and am now trying that....crossing my fingers...my toilet paper is unscented....ive stopped taking my birth control pills...they are a low dose, but can they be doing anything??? everyone says no but thats the only thing i put into my body daily....???? i will get over this!!! hehehe
one more thing i just read that you should finish a pack of birth controll then stop taking it...is it bad not to??? i stopped mid cycle....should i start again???
I just have a quick question for everyone..... this is the story: A few days ago I was in a wedding and for the rehersal I wore a thong (I was wearing white pants). Well the thong was too small, and I wore it throughout the next morning while getting my hair done and everything as well... I changed into a different thong for the actual wedding, one that fit and by the end of the night when I went home and got back into regular panties, it hurt. I'm pretty young (21) so I asked my mom and she said it's probably a rash that developed from wearing a thong that's too small.... has anyone ever expereienced something like this? and does it go away just over time?? It's not THAT annoying, it's just when I think about it then it gets a little itchy. I put on some mild cream actually made for baby diaper rash, helping a little, but has this happened to anyone else???
Yeah I had to use an icepack all of yesterday and through this morning to tame the itch!  I understand!  What I would recommend is this: go to wrongdiagnosis.com and look up "vulva itch".  You will find 45 conditions and 13 drug interactions that can cause it.  Print out the list, go to your obgyn and DO NOT LEAVE untill she has crossed out every single one of them.  You might need to see a few more docs before you can determine what it is, and bring the list!  Doctors dont think to look for everything, so do your homework.  I am going through the same process now.

Best of luck to you!
THANK U SO MUCH!!!  I honestly think it may be the fabric softener.
This past weekend i went bike riding with my little brother and I was wearing the boxer short underwear. The underwear kept rubbing up against me causing me to be very sore and itch very badly.  When I looked at myself down there, I was very red and sore on the lips and around the clitoris.  It has been 1 week and I am still itching!!! Can someone please tell me what to do!?!  I'm 19 years old, I'm not sexually active, and I don't have a obgyn.  Please Help Me!!

please e-mail me at ***@****

1 word - Pill!  I was on Microgynon for 2 years, for 2 years I had severe itching, tried EVERYTHING, icepacks, lollies, yoghurt, cold baths EVERYNIGHT for 2 years!!  I went to a naturalist and she suggested that the pill was the issue, I came off it and within a few days, NO ITCHING!  That was 2 years ago, haven't had any recurrences since.  Apparently, it was the increased Oestrogen which was irritating the skin.  However, I am on Dianette Pill now, this causes no problems.

I wish you all the very best!
I have had a severe itch for about 18months.  When i develop the itch, i also notice red tiny,tiny, bumps on the tip of my clitoris. My vulva (especially between the folds of my lips) becomes red, irritated, and i get this crack(skin tear).  I have been tested several times for STD's and all are negative.  The doctors said it resembles herpes, but all test are negative including the several cultures that two different dr's obtained.  I never imagined that a person could experience so much pain in that area.  Sometimes i feel as though i might not be able to bear the pain.  I cry, and i just can't imagine what it could be.  I recently went to my dr. 3days ago, and she did a culture of the skin tear and it came back with positive yeast.  I just hope that the medication (suppository and cream) will finally clear up this mess.  I can only pray but for some reason i don't think is is, it hasn't yet.  Mandysz, i think my symptoms are like yours.  Have you had any more outbreaks and if not, please give me some advice.  Can you tell me the name of the cream that he prescribed for you.  Thank you so much.
plz help!! have had very severe itching between folds of the lips at the to p for ages now!!!!  it itches soooo bad i wanna itch but i know i shouldnt its also red and sore and it feels swollen? and i also think there is a bump there any suggestions?
I have been dealing with the same itch for about a year now.  I have the itch on my outer labia, bikini area, anus, and have some itchy patches on the sides of my stomach.  I went to a Dr and was told that it was lichen simplex.  The itch-scratch disorder.  Basically, if I stop scratching it will go away.  Well how the heck do you stop scratching.  I had been on steroids for the past 5 yrs for chronic hives and finally got off of them in July of 07 due to a new med called Xolair.  This is for asthma and allergies.  Anyways,  I also have dandruff.  I don't know if it is associated with this whole itching thing or not.  I have tried using Triamcinilone cream and other cortizone creams.  They help for a short time and it's back to the crawling itch.  I have been tested, and it was not due to an STD either.  I tend to get bacteria infections after each time of having sex with my husband.  Therefore, we don't do it that much.  :(  I always feel like I have discharge down there and unclean.  I shower often, but try not to use harsh soaps.  I have tried free laundry products, and nothing seems to help.  After each bowel movement I have, my anus itches so bad no matter how good I wipe.  I am so frusterated!!!!!!!!! I have dug myself raw and made myself bleed many times.  I have scars and skin darkening from it.  What the Heck?????????????????????????? Help!!!!!!!!!!
i have been having the same awful symptoms as you itchers, for about a year now. I am in menopause for about 11/2 years, and haven't had sex for about 2 years,  poor me. i have been tested for all the usual. i was diagnosed with a simple yeast infection, however the 1 night treatment I was sent home with didn't even scratch the surface!! my problem is I have no insurance and the public health dept. just seems to usher you through.I have been in such pain and embarrasment. I have "learned to scratch with the least amount of damage, but there is alot. I am 50 years old and feel like I am really damadging myself. the odor is so bad I am even asshamed to just try on clothes with my friends and family.The next problem is that I drink alcohol every day. i am not a drunk, but I have a couple of rum and cokes , I would say on average,15 a week. Is that bad? I have heard that drinking can really add to my problem. I will give it up if that is true, however I will need some help.Otherwise my advise to anyone is to keep your fingernails short!
I have been itching nonestop for 4 weeks inside the lips at the top and middle. There are no red spots or bumps that I can see. I have also been itching a little on the outside at the top. I have been shaving too, but I don't see how shaving could cause me this much pain and itching.I had sex a week ago, but I have not done it with any other guy for a few months before, and I don't believe he had done it with anyone els for a long while. I NEED HELP!
im in the same boat it seems when i turned 30 i started falling apart ive got vaginal itching mainly inside on clit area and around the folds and when it itches it itches BAD! well i can tell you baking soda paste seems to help a little BUT IT HURTS when you put it on either it works or it just hurts that it takes your mind off the itching i only itch getting closer to dark time.ive tried the plain yogurt that also seems to work for a while.i havent been to the dr recently but i have benn tested for stds and all neg. been married for 10 yrs so he has been my only partner and vice versa.im going to try a burrows solution its sold at drug stores Also ive noticed that mine starts up right before my menstrual cycle anyone else?
I have to admit it was a little relieving to know that I am not suffering alone. I have been dealing with itching for almost a year. Went to Midwife (my OB) and she tested for the usual suspects and came up empty. I don't take birth control or any other meds, I have changed everything that touches my genitals, soap, laundry soap, undies, pants, washcloths, toilet paper, even my flushable wipes, believe me EVERYTHING. And it just continues. There are times when I am almost normal, only a slight itch that I can ignore in public, but it flares, like it is right now where I cannot even sleep at night. I use Vagisil (what a joke), and hydrocortisone (which I don't even know if you are supposed to use on your genitals) both relieve a little and feel better than nothing. I don't have an issue with dryness and I even waxed everything to see if I could see a rash or bumps or something, but nothing, just redness from my scratching. I don't have any odor or strange discharge, just itchiness. It is driving me crazy. If you all know of creams that work please please please let me know! I am going to try washing my undies in hot water with no soap or softener and see if that works so I will keep my fingers crossed.
Itching can be caused by a number of things all listed above. If a cause for this cannot be detected, it may be inflammation caused by an autoimmune disorder called Behcet's Syndrome's. Initial symptoms closely resemble the herpes virus, causing inflammation, vaginal sores, cuts, fissures, or folliculitis. Other symptoms develop years later, so it is very important that you find out just what it is that is causing your symptoms. Don't be too quick to brush it off as nothing, Behcet's disease affects people of every age and every race. It is important you see a doctor who know's enough to help you. Ask them about Behcet's Syndrome, if they don't know enough to tell you about it, they won't be able to tell you if you have it or not.
I wore a thong for the day through the night and i regret it its like a rug burn between the lips and hole. it wants to dry up but panties get stuck, and when i go to the bathroom it like, i dont know takes the scab off or something. Anyways it hurt cuz the panties get stuck. Is it thong burn? how long does it take to heel. I know its not an STD! Somebody tell me something. It really itches and hurt when the panties get um dried to the spot between the butt hole and vaginal area. OMG how long to heal...
I have had itching for years now. It occurs mostly around the inner labiaand vaginal opening, no sores, no bumps, its only red when I itch it so it looks fine! I get it, after sex and after Ive had my period.

I've tried using pads, cotton tampons, changing pills, no soap only water, went to a dermatologist(nothing) thrush treatments.. thrush test(negative) STD tests(negative) everything! And a lot of GP's just tell me its chaffing! but its awful!!!!

So I went to a gyno today- who said I might have genital herpes- even though I dont have any lumps or bumps, I test negative, my partner has nothing and it re-occurs dozens of times a year (GH is said to reaccur 4-5 times)... so that really upset me..Sher was a snobby lady who didnt listen to anything I said and when I strated balling ym eyes out she sat there typing on her computer!!! :(

It really gets to me because my partner and I dont have sex often... If anyone knows of relief? I think using vaseline after showers helps prevent.. and changin my pill to higher eostrogen has caused me to have more discharge and it helps.. any other suggestions? 3 years!!!!!
Kelly, Did you read my messages trac777. Your doctor wanted to test for herpes because there aren't too many other things that could be causing your problem. It is related to your immune system. If it's not herpes, It is an allergic reaction. Cortisone will help, but it might be that you have an autoimmune disorder causing your problems. Behcet's Syndrome is a real possibility. My many people just get the inflammation and no cuts or sores. It is not contagious, it doesn't run in families. People with Behcet't have an allergic reaction to gential (genital) to gential (genital) contact so they always need to use condoms. Some researchers believe it is triggered by the strep throat virus. What happened exactly is that something damaged your immune system, be it strep throat or something else. Behcet's Syndrome is actually the world's oldest known disease, but little is known about it by doctors America. It is treated much more aggressively all over the world. There are no tests that can tell you if you have it and it could be years before you have developed enough symptoms to know for sure whether it's Behcet's Syndrome or one of the other immune disorders. The main thing is if you are showing symptoms to get immune suppressant treatment, weither they know what they are treating or not. Just about all autoimmune disorders are treated the same, with the same medications, so it really not so important to know what it is to start controlling it. Unexplained inflammation is the main symptom of all autoimmune disorders and can be control with medications. I recommend you see a Rheumatologist for advice. They work closely with GYN's regarding symptoms such as yours. With any of these things, the most important thing you can do is control your immune system "flares" , by resting more, eating healthier, exercising regularly. and avoiding stress at all costs.  Stress can turn what might have been a mild flare into a monster. It's really important to pay attention to your body and discuss any symptoms you have to your doctor, no matter how vague they may seem to you.
I have been suffering with vaginal itching for 4yrs this september. Its horrible! I have been treated for everything under the sun from pin worms to clamydia (chlamydia). I have been tested for all stds and all were negative. I have tested positive for BV over and over again. I have been treated for BV over and over for the past few years but the itching is still very present in my life. It has affected my love making with my husband. Needless to say I went on to get pregnant and have another child (VBAC). I just don't know where things went wrong for me. It all started after my first child. I had her c-section. Sometimes i think OMG what about if they left something inside of me while performing the c-section or could the BV have matalisized from all the antibiotics i took during a gall bladder procedure. Well whatever it is i want it to go away. This has affected my life in some many ways i have low self -esteem, i feel undesireable depressed this has totally changed me and my life and a very nagative way and whats more sad is that these docs who get paid an arm & leg can't even figure out what the hell is wrong with me!!
Hi im 27 im suffering the same, but only for a few months.  Have been tested for stds all neg and also attended gum clinic and still nothing.  I have been told to wash in aqueous cream and wear cotton etc etc its not working, I have been doing it over a week and its not at all better.  I have bad days and good days.  I often find it doesnt start until I go to bed, other days I can be out shopping and have to keep ducking behind things to scratch.  I am going to see the doc this week and dont intend leaving until he helps me, but I am so unhopeful as there seem to be so many women suffering with this and cannot find a diagnosis.  I have been under a lot of stress these last few months and I am really struggling to pinpoint when it started.  I am currently using vagisil but this only masks the problem temporarily and then its the same old back to misery.  I have changed my diet to a very health one, and have bought perfume free products, baby shampoo for my hair and never use bubble bath.  I dont think there is much more I can do for myself and I feel so desperate. Its comforting to know there many others affected to although I wouldnt wish this misery on anyone!  Lets keep eachother posted on progress.  
I have experienced itching before when i was in the 12th grade i was very afraid because i was still a virgin at that time. I bathed at least twice a day before school and after but yet i was itching. i changed my soaps and started using dettol and lifebuoy with high hopes to ease my pain. I never told my mom i tried to self medicate i guess, but eventually the pain stopped i was relieved. the itching came back almost a year later but went within a week. its been a another year and i am starting to experience itching i am so scared to go to a gynecologist but i think its time i receive an experts opinion. i am thinking about purchasing a monistat because my friend once told me of her problem and she bought the product now she's relieved. if i used the product and no results i will go to a gynecologist ASAP.
Please give me some advice, encouragement.
I agree with many of the people above. Switch to a NON SCENTED BAR SOAP...like dove unscented for sensitive skin...as well as NO FABRIC SOFTNER... I had the SAME issue and it was unbearable...I switched and I am OK now :) GL
I'm having the same problem. It just started like three days ago, I noticed a little itching but nothing major and I just attributed it to being on my period. However over the past three days it's just gotten worse and worse. Most of it is around my clit and lips. I haven't been sexually active for quite a while and when I was we always used condoms. I've noticed that I have a crack in my skin right above my clit and it' sooo painful. I've been to the doctor about it and she said it was just dry skin... What should I do though!? I've used every non scented lotion I can think of and nothing helps!!!!
I need help Im 17 years old not sexually active though i was sexually assaulted.. Ever since then ive had a bad itch around the lips of my *****..and clit. Now im not sure how to get rid of it or if theres another cause for this? please help.
I have been having similar problem.. I went to the doctor, everthing ws negative, but I still have this severe itch that won't go away. I scratch and irritate myself so bad that I can't even walk. I need some help. I know its not a yeast infection. Do anyone have anysuggestions what I should use.
I also suffer from this for over 10 years. Ive been checked No std's no yeast infections no bv. I dont know what else to do what type of doctor would help. I ve gone to Infectious disease, dermatologist,and internal medicine doctors. Not 1 has been able to help me. Ive changed my undies soap you name it. Nothings helped.
i have the same problem, except i think my is a lil worse. when i itch, i sratch and when i scratch i get little and thin cuts inside my lavia,the bottom of my vagina and smetimes around my butt hole.i get mutiple cuts. i don;t know what it is.i stop using soap and instead i use eve wash for sensitive areas.I've had BV before can that be it? i've had this recently for like two months now. never had it before. my skin gets dry down there, and im afraid to have intercorse at times because of the pain from the cuts.

PLEASE HELP!!!!
I have had this problem for over 10 years. It is really bad now over the past 3 years. I have the bumps, itching really bad, open sores, cuts, swelling from it. I also went to the OB AND they did all the test to rule out SID. I was fine. They he says it is detergents so on. Well i used dreft baby wash as he told me , nope still have it, i use detergents for people with allergys (allergies), NOPE still have it. So I have done all i am suppose to do and it wont stop. I get near tears to. It hurts. I know itching makes it way worst but it is hard not to. I wake in the night going crazy. I have no idea what to do.
It's a funny club to be a member of, eh?  
I'd have to admit I've been uncomfortable down south for well over a year, now.  I've visited three gynecologists, and I am still itchy burning on the outer folds of the vulva.  They can't tell me anything interesting about this situation.  Even though I feel fairly certain there must be a pathogen- a microorganism upsetting me, they can't find evidence of it.  And it's true- it affects your life in strange ways- I feel badly about myself- you can't quite function normally when your mind is on your vajajay.  And you can't quite have the great sex you're used to when you're itchy and sad about it and you know the sex doesn't help.
I spent some time on Earthclinic.com reading up about natural BV and Yeast treatments, those were interesting and did offer some short term relief- if nothing else, it felt good to be doing something- anything.  And now I have a cream I bought at our local co-op called Vaginol Tea Tree Cream  made by Thursday Plantation and that gets me through the days and nights.  
I'm looking forward to finally, someday, reading about an answer- I imagine I'm more inclined to find it here on the internet than in the doctor's office...
ARGH! I know! I believe that there are few things more frustrating than vulva itching/pain!
I dealt with this (well "dealing being a generous term..."whimpering" or "tearing my hair out" is probably more accurate) for a almost a year
before I found any relief.
I went to the Doctor, OBGYN, Dermatalogist, specialists etc.
till they finally sent me the the Pelvic and Sexual Health Institute in Philadelphia.
These people truely are AMAZING!
They diagnosed me with Vulvodynia, which basically just means pain in the vulva. HOWEVER! not only did they give me a diagnoses, they were also able to give me medications and creams that have all but eliminated the itching/irritation/pain!!
I know this pain can make you CRAZY...but you may not have to deal with it forever! there are solutions out there, though they do take time, and most are somewhat experimental...
Anyway, just wanted to post this on here because im SO happy to be almost itching free! and I dont want ANYONE to suffer through this unnessisarily
I also suffered from several vaginal itching before and after my cycle every month for almost a year now. I had no discharge and no odor. My gyno prescribed Diflucan & Vagisil but they worked temporarily. The severe vaginal itching would come back after I finished the next menstrual cycle.

So I surfed the net and did this:

I started taking once a day – Probiotic Acidophilus 10mg capsules from CVS for around $5. Remember to refrigerate the bottle as it states on the label. Some people take one capsule twice a day but I found that taking one capsule per day with a meal cleared up the "excessive white cells" my gyno was seeing and all itching.

I started using Free & Clear laundry detergents.

As a precaution I did this:

I threw out every last single pair of underwear I owned and bought 3 packs of new cotton panties.

I did the same for the washcloths. I bought a few of the more expensive thick sturdier washcloths (not the flimsy cheap ones).

When I wash down below, I use soap to wash the cloth but not so much (a very little amount) on the actual skin down there. I do not work up a lather because when I did this I had a moderate itch a few hours after. AVOID LATHERING UP DOWN BELOW!

I am careful to rinse with just water at 3-4 times after I have washed with very little soap. I completely pat dry the area with a bath towel.

I apply a (no scent) pantiliner to my panties to help absorb moisture.

I am pleased and most grateful to report that I have not had any itching or irritation for 2 almost 3 months. When I did experience a slight irritation it was when I lathered too much soap down below and did not rinse and dry thoroughly. Otherwise NO problems whatsoever and it has been wonderful to be itch free!
Same itching problem with me.  I itched for 4 months straight.  I tried just about everything.  Went to gyno, tests were negative.  I read somewhere about using tea tree oil.  I bought some, diluted it with water.  I use it when I wash and apply some diluted tea tree oil with a cotton ball on my whole vaginal area after showering and before bed.  GONE!!!  I also now only have sex with a condom.  I also have been taking yeast gard daily for about a month. I don't know which one is working for me but I feel 100% better.  I got the tea tree oil at a local drugstore OTC.  It brought immediate relief to me.
OMG I thought I was the only one. It has been over 14 years. I have been living with this pain. I have had all of the tests and same results every time...NOTHING! It is worse the week before my menstrual cycle, and the week of my cycle sometimes unbearable. The 2 weeks in between it itches but not as bad. I have cracked skin on the sides of my legs close to the vagina all around the lips it cracks and BURNS when urine touches it. I find my self waking up in the middle of the night itching, if i shave down there it is worse because of when the hair grows back and it is stubble....oh god does it itch...so I rock the 70's bush...lol   I bathe daily water only down there, I was a little overweight and thought it was chafing but for this long.... and my weight has gone uppp and dowwwn and it doesn't go away. I prefer no undies, but being a lady I know I have to put on panties before I leave the house ;)  This hurts more than anything because its a daily pain. I hurt after sex so bad...But im NOT giving up sex! I just shower afterwords and gently dry. I understand your pain ladies...I'm glad im not alone...but sad we all have to deal with this! I agree with the gal that said keep your nails SHORT.
>Oh and my first husband left me because he thought I cheated and brought home a rash. (Jackass)
Thankfully new hubby is concerned and gentle.
I had this itch for about 15 years.  My left labia majora was all enlarged and extremely itchy and painful.  I tried a couple different doctors and all kinds of herbal self help stuff with 0% difference.  Mine seems to get worse with my period.  I did a lot of research on it and it is amazing how many women suffer from this.  I finally found a forum where one women found the problem and was cured.  So I took all this information in to a gyno.  They did a biopsy of the area and it came up as hypertrophic squamous mucosa with mild hyper parakeratosis.  That's a mouth full.  I reserched it under this name and found nothing so fa,r unless I researched each word.  The gyno told me that it was the same thing as squamous cell hyperplasia, which I found easily.  She gave me a strong steroid ointment to heal it and a numbing ointment to releave the itch.  She also gave me an antihistimine stonger then benadryl to take orally at night.  I have been using them know for 1 1/2 weeks.  My labia has almost returned to it's original size and the itch is just barely there at night.  My suggestion is to call around and find a gyno who is familiar with this term befor you see them.  I sincerely hope you find the answer.
I JUST STARTED USING THIS SOAP CALLED LEVER 2000 AND I HAVE BEEN BURNING LIKE 2000 DEGREE'S MY TINKERBELL(VAGINA) HAS BEEN ON FREAKIN BURN MODE IT HAS BEEN GOING ON FOR LIKE A WEEK FIRST I THOUGHT I WAS TRIPPIN THEN IN THE MID WEEK I GOT THIS STRANGE SMELL I WAS LIKE OH HELL NAW I HAVE NEVER HAD THIS BEFORE WHAT SHOULD I DO? WHAT'S A GOOD BODY SOAP?
i really need help i started itching about 2 months ago i been to gyno family docs, hospitals first they told me it was yeast then they told me it was scelrosis but nothing seems to help i have 4 kids and i cant function like i did before its driving me nuts please some one help me
Whoever posted that the red itching without discharge might be Female jock itch...you saved my life.  Seriously I used jock itch cream and within two days it was gone.  The directions said to use it for the full two weeks, so that is what I am doing, but it is already better and it has only been about 5 days.  Seriously, people, if you have redness and itching around your vagina, with no discharge and only a little bit of flaky white residue...it might be what I had.  Try jock itch cream, it is a life saver.
same symptoms as all of you...this started about 2 months ago..ive tried everything: diaper rash cream, neosporin, rubbing alcohol, peroxide, tea tree oil[BURNS!& smells so strong!], oatmeal baths, samples of steroid creams..nothing helps. miserable. i wake up scratching at night on the verge of tears. i beleive this all started 2 months ago when i wore a new,unwashed pair of soffe "lounge pants" [like sweatpants but with a capri cut] to a rock climbing gym class where we had to wear harnesses veryyyy tight..im so stupid..btw am 17, this is NOT a symptom of any STD.

------------  I HAVE BEEN CURED!!!!--------------

ECZEMA!!!

Honestly everyone this could be the cause of your problem. After 2 years of unbearable itching just as you have described, 3 trips to different doctors I was finally diagnosed as having eczema! Yep, simple as that and I only have it down below, no where else. And thats probably why it wasnt diagnosed sooner.

I was diagnosed by a female family doctor who listened to my symptoms and had a quick look. That was it! And she was the THIRD doctor I had visited (physical tests and swabs taken by the other 2). She did tell me that some doctors just do not connect the dots when it comes to genital eczema - so maybe make the suggestion yourself.

I was prescibed Protopic cream to be applied twice daily for six weeks, dont use soap or shower gel on the area, air it at night (no panties), 100% cotton underwear washed in light detergent - i use a fem friendly shower gel - and rinsed REALLY well.

That was six months ago and all my symptoms have gone. Sometimes it flares up a teeny bit (stress can do this) but nothing near to what it was before.

I believe it was all triggered by a change of ingredients in my laundry detergent that wasnt put on the box. I know this because my mother has sinitis and noticed it got worse wearing freshly washed shirts. She called the detergent company to ask had they changed ingredients. They had. That was roughly the time I started itching. Obviously we dont use that detergent anymore!!

Please take on board what i have said as I want you not to suffer like I did. Im only 25 but still now find sex a bit scary after it causing me so much discomfort for so long. Dont let that happen to you!!

Best of luck everyone x
Help!  Me too! I am 44 have been itcing for years but now it seems at it's height.  At first it was from candida albicans.  Sadly my now 25 year old daughter contracted Genital Herpes.  She came home to visit one year upset, stayed several days, but wouldn't open up.  She hadn't brought really a lot of clothes and the ones she had weren't clean.

I let her stay and noticed one day while she was dressing she had some of my undergarments on.  I commented about this as I didn't raise her to wear shared garments.  She knew this but had "picked up" different ways while on her own.  A few days later I began to itch so badly I thought I'd lose my mind.  I couldn't understand why, what could have caused it.  I asked her if she had worn more of my undergarments.  She admitted she had.  Had washed them and put them back.

Can you get Herpes Complex from shared underwear?  As eventhough she washed them, can it still survive wash cycle and deteregents?  It itches so badly, especially around the start of my menses.  Although I do have Fibroid Tumors and Ovarian Cysts as well.  Due to this I suffer from low iron and borderline Anemia.  I was recently in ER and was threatened with a blood transfusion when the cyst acted up shortly after my last period.  I've heard low iron can cause itching such as this as well.  Can anyone help me and tell me what to do?

Oh yes, my itching is primarily a specific spot on my left labia.  The hair is missing there and it looks like rough skin.  I've also suffered the flaky skin syndrome some other posters have mentioned.  Not lately though.  Just the hellish itching.  Lately I've been also getting goose pimples all over my body prior to the start of an aggressive onset.  This is why I asked if it might be Herpes I cannot see.  It feels as if I want to curl into a tight ball.  I become hypersensitive and don't want to touch anything or allow anything to touch me.  It feels as if a pin with electric waves of itching courses through the same specific area of the last three or four years.  To boot, my heels (especially of the left foot) itch, are dry and cracked and the area near the groin also itches, just not as terribly.
Hello everyone. I am 27 years old. About three years ago, I was suffering from vaginal itchiness. I thought it was a yeast infection so I went to the doctor and they prescribed Diflucan. I was so upset because it did not work. I even took two pills on top of all the stupid creams. The itchiness would occur after sex, or if I used vibrators.  The itchiness would be present afterwards, it felt like forever. Nothing worked.
During sex i would feel very dry, and sex would be painful and afterwards the inside of my vagina would feel itchy. It was a pain in the rear to sleep at night because the itchiness would wake me up :-(...
After being tested for STD's, testing negative, and still not feeling relief,  I returned to my doctor. She had no answers for me. This was torture. So I went online and tried some herbal remedy called Enzara. This actually helped me. It was expensive but I felt better.
After a while I stopped taking it and for a few years my itching stopped.
Recently the itching has started again!!! UGH... This is keeping me up at night. I tried to purchase the Enzara but the company went out of business. However, they are saying you can purchase a similar product called femanol. I am going to try that because at this point I am extremely frustrated and I am willing to try anything.
Ladies,

Treat the actual problem, not the symptoms.  Whether it's yeast or vaginosis..you need to up your good "flora" in order to beat whatever is causing the intense itching.  Your immune system has been compromised for some reason (and the meds for vaginosis will do this, and make things worse).

Take RePhresh brand "Pro-B" supplements every day.  And search for/order a product called "Femina Flora".  It's a vaginal acidophilus suppository that you'll use for 10 days.  One thing most people don't tell you is that, while yogurt is SOOTHING (try plain yogurt to cure the immediate itch), it doesn't contain the same strains of acidophilus found in our vagina.  The strains that yogurt contain are for digestive issues.

These two products will up your army of good bacteria so that you're actually CURED.  I suffered with intense itching and recurring bouts of BV/yeast and I got so tired of it.  This was told to me by a homeopathic doc, and I'm finally free.

And, make sure to go pantiless at night and change your tampon every time you pee.  Think of the string..it's a bacteria wick!
I have had itching around the lips and i had seen small bumps near there. The lips keep tearing and it hurts A LOT. I'm young, no sexual activity, no cracking of the skin, the itch is inside and out and unbearable. I have recently gotten new under wear that fits well. I'm not sure about how they get washed, i dont do the laundry. I can't find out what is happening because i can't see a doctor yet!! I am scared because i slept over a guys house once and i'm not sure what happened after i fell asleep!! Please help!

~Agi
I truly feel like my vaginal itch is ruining my life. I have had itching problems for as long as I can remember (before puberty), but it has gotten so much worse in the last few years. I have been tested for everything...treated for yeast/bacterial infections...but the itching continues with no discharge. It feels like either itching, pain or sometimes like there are worms under my skin. The only way I can get relief is to pull on my pubic hair - it itches that bad! Sex is almost impossible, and I feel ugly and depressed because I feel so gross down there. My husband gets very upset, and while he's supportive, it's tough for him because he feels that I am not attracted to him. I am seeing a gyno now who is treating with anusol (applied vaginally), an antihistamine and an external coricosteroid. It helped a little at first but now the itch is back. God I wish someone could figure this out...
My Wife suffered from vaginal itching. It was driving her mad. She had not slept for weeks.
I looked through the forums and found some one had tried using hay fever tablets. She took 2 and a large glass of wine and slept for the first time. She has been take one a day for the last week and the rash has cleared up. The hay fever tablets contain 10 mg certirizine hydrochloride.
My itching just started. I am not one to get a Yeast infection although I have had them before. Honestly I am going to try all the recommendations set above;however, I do want to add that in the past my PH has been "off" in that area. What was the solution....

sitting in a tub of 1/2 water and 1/2 concentrated Lysol cleaner. (cleaning isle of grocery store Wal-mart) 30 mins. at least. Of all things. Honestly, it has worked every single time! It stings and it burns and you really have to clean yourself well afterwards but it really works.

To all those suffering like me and don't know what else to do. Try this! I promise you will feel better. I hope this helps at least one person.
God bless.
I had the anal/vaginal itch for the past year. Tried bleach baths like they do for children with ezcema (eczema) and have finally gotten relief. 10 caps of Chlorox and soak for 20 minutes. No stinging or side effects. Can't hurt to try it, as bleach is good for killing bacteria, yeast/mold/fungi, and even some bugs.
btw....bleach does not sting! I don't think I could do Lysol, but I could see where the concept is the same LOL. It seems crazy the thing we are trying for relief. Bleach diluted, however, is like swimming in a pool or hot tub. And today, I have finally had barely any itch at all and I feel really good! Last week, putting on underwear made me cry and I had to pull over on the side of the road on my way home to scratch and apply cream because it was unbearable.
To everyone who is suffering unknown itchness and burning.  I have been researching this for weeks after my multiple doctor visits help me not at all.  I was ready to tear my hair out last night when I read online that a Iodine Douche would help the symptoms.  So I flew to my local drug store and bought a Summers Eve Iodine Douche....any really medicated iodine douche will work at a .3% dilution.  I was on fire the moment before I used the douche for the first time.  Right after I used it my burning and itchiness were almost completely gone!!  I could breathe and unclench my jaw for the first time in 2 months.  I used the second bottle today and I am still symptom free.  I seriously did a little happy dance and almost broke into tears from the relief.  Forget Monistat, I also read that this can make the symptoms worse.  Try the Iodine Douche and see if this works for you...it really worked for me.
I have had the same problem of vaginal itch,  Taking bendral helps,  When you scratch there you irratate and make a sore there. It then burns when you pee.  I was told to put vasaline on it and to pee in an empty toliet paper roll so you don't irritate the sore from scatching with urine. Try not to scratch there.  I get flares once in while and I really think the itching is from nerves and stress.  Hope this helps someone
I have been dealing with this problem for years and years now.  The only relief I ever got was from Nystatin and Triamcinolone Acetonide Cream.  The problem I have is that you have to see a doctor to get the cream and I cannot afford a doctor right now.  So last week I bought Nystatin cream from a Canadian pharmacy, it came in the mail today.  I couldn't get the cream with Triamcinolone because its a steroid cream.  Nystatin is used to cure fungal infections, and Triamcinolone is for the itching.  Hopefully the Nystatin will work alone.  I hope all of you will find relief soon, and I will post my progress with the Nystatin cream in a few days.  Luck to you all!!!   xxxxxxxxxxxxx

P.S.  Im going to post this on a few different discussions about this topic.
Ladies get yourselves some pure Tea Tree Oil (from a health food store), place on a cotton ball and rub it on your vaginal area. Immedite relief!!!!!! It may need diluting with another oil..jojoba oil...because of it's potency.
I have the same problem, couldn't sleep at all, will what I thought it was yeast infection, it could be because of the softener I used for my laundry, Im so worried right now, the itching is intense. When will this go away, I'm do much in pain right now.  I did see the dr. Yesterday , got antibiotic, yeast infection pill call trimethoprim, does anyone know when the medicine start working?
I happened across this board and can't believe in all these posts- I never saw the word "Vulvadynia" mentioned.  
I am 46 years old.  I suffered all the same symptoms as most of you for many, many years starting in my young 20's.  The pain was so intense I couldn't wear jeans and pain was unimaginable.  
Many years of misdiagnosis, I believe, made the situation worse.  I became nearly suicidal.  The discomfort was all I thought about.  
One night, a news report came on that mentioned Vulvadynia- a very newly diagnoised condition.  The lady speaking was talking ALL my symptoms.  I searched ever little bit of information I could on it and brought it to my MD.  He knew little of it- but treated me and we worked together to find a plan that- altho didn't CURE it- certainly calmed things.  
Many years later- I still get a few weeks where things may act up.  But, that one news report certainly changed my life.  
http://www.bing.com/health/article/mayo-125396/Vulvodynia?q=vulvodynia&FORM=FFF
If this helps even one of you.... God bless you.  
I'm 31 years old and it's  my first time to experience vaginal itching.  The signs started about 10 days ago when I felt the skin around my rectal area was itchy.  After a few days the itch went to my vaginal area.  There are no redness or anything visible abnormality with those areas when I tried to check it but it itches like crazy!  I tried anti-fungal cream but it didn't do anything.  I researched through the internet and found out vaginal itching could be caused by candida albicans so I searched for its treatment.  I tried applying plain yogurt which gave temporary relief, I even tried to apply some garlic which stings but at least I couldn't feel the itch that time...I also took in some benadryl capsule to ease the itch but the down side was it made me very sleepy and drowsy at work.  The itch was making me so depressed that I felt I am 30 years more older than my age.  I couldn't concentrate and I'm always irritable so I got worried when I started reading your posts that some had this for years!  I only have this for days but I could almost die! Anyway, I went to my OB-Gyne yesterday for a check-up.  She said it's not candida albicans, it's not fungal because she couldn't see anything wrong with my 'down there'.  She believes it's pinworms that is causing the itch.  She prescribed to me 3 doses of Mebendazole antiox 100mg to be taken 1 capsule each for 3 consecutive nights and 10mg antihistamine to be taken 2X a day. Tonight is my 2nd night,  this day I still felt itching but was better than the previous days. The itch down there felt better but I noticed that the skin around my neck became so itchy.  I don't know if it is related but I hope not. I will be posting again the result after I complete my medication.
I woke up this morning with really bad burning and itching that progressively got worse as the day went on. I'm glad I found this site, When someone mentioned Fabric soften, it made me realize it was the laundry.

Last night had worn undies from the last load of laundry we did. Maybe it didn't rinse well enough or used too much detergent, who knows?

I showered really well, and worn another pair of undies not from that load, and I can feel the itching and burning slowly going away.

I was almost ready to call my gyno and get some vagasil.
Two Words: lichen sclerosus.  
Good luck ladies.
I had several of these same problems, my doctor said it had to do with the fact that after menopause you do not produce enough estrogen. She gave me some estrogen creme to use for 2 weeks. However, I got home and still had this horrible itch, if I scratched one more time I would have had to go to emergency. Anyway, I again called the doctor and she prescribed the following: Clobetasol Propionate creme (which worked immediately) I put on before I drove home and it immediately took the itch away. She also prescribed Hydroxyzine pills to take 3 times a day. I will say I have been itch free since I started the creme and pills 4 days ago.  Hope this will help others I was at my wits end.  All tests came out negative, so I assume it is the last of estrogen. I guess I will find out after I quit taking the estrogen in 2 weeks. But ladies the other stuff works to take the ITCH AWAY!!!
im 7 months pregnant and std free. I dont have a vag infection and im severely itchy on the inside of my skin and i dont know what it is. Although im thinking that since i was out in the night for canada day that i got eaten alive by mosquitos and one bit me down there and theres nothing i can do. Im afraid to go out in public cuz of how itchy i am and ppl will think i have stds or something. I dont have transportation to get to a walk in clinic, and i cant set up an earlier ob/gyn apt as mine tends to take too long just to return a phone call. Or doesnt at all. Any suggestions? Please help! Im bitching at everyone cuz of how itchy i am .
I've had this itching for about 5 days now. It started off fine but not it is not tolerable. It itches so much! I don't have discharge and it doesn't smell. It just itches. I try not to scratch it. But that doesn't help. I do cross-country. So I run a lot and after I run it's gets really bad. I live with my dad and I am only 15 so I cant go to a doctor. I am going to go to target to soon to buy vagisil. HELP! PLEASE!
I have suffered massive itching for about 8 mos.  I went to the ob and she prescribed the hormone creme which did not work.  The itching increased and after spending an entire night up itching myself (having to go to work the next day) I went to urgent care who said I had a yeast infection.  I was prescribed 2 types of antibiotics and the nystatin ointment.  Well the infection went away but the itching did not!   Soooo frustrating, so I took the advise of someone here on this page and tried the Benedryl allergy pills , i took 2 of them and purchased the over the counter Cortazone 10 creme for eczema, and it WORKED!!  Evidently I had the eczema.....rash is almost gone and the itching in minimal......hope this advise helps!!!
i have been having rashes from two months, and it burns and i get an itchy sensation! please suggest which cream should i use? im 18!
I am going through the same exact problem with the itching down there. Like you said, it feels like something is crawling. I have been tested and everything is negative. I don't know if it's something that I'm eating that's causing the itch.  How about you? Did you find out what it was that was causing all the itching?
I have been having all the symptoms going on two years and when it happened there was a series of events in order i think high stress from finding a new job then from the new job my employer is mean and unfair and doesnt care cause im replacable.  then my bf moved in for the wrong reason(that is now resolved) my dad got really sick and flatlined twice thts still going on.  I stopped drinking completely when I used to three four times a week.  (u would think i would have started)  I was eating very pourly due to graveyard and fast food no water. I moved into a new house too when it started and the water there irritated my skin so bad.  hard water yes.  soooo i still have it and I have been to five different doctors who treat me w a yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis.  which i do not and never had before. i have no stds. My PH is just so off from all of the occurences in the last two years that it takes time to get back to normal.  I did try a all vegetable diet for 6 weeks and I felt sooooooo good, no more itching and no more feeling bad.  AS SOON as I added bread and pasta and processed meat into my diet all of came back worse.  soooo I am doing a master cleanse now. i also started using condoms w bf.   I mean this is making me crazy and just me posting on this site shows.  The worst part of the whole situation is the doctors tell us we are normal when clearly we wouldnt be at the doctor in the first place if "ITCHING"  was normal for us.  i am beginning to think be as bad as politicans just want there new patient money and dont want to do testing to help there patients.  the last dr laughed at me with her nurse practitioner outside my door.  yeah humiliate the patient.  sooooo  mastercleanse. vegetables. apple cider vinegar.  if that doesnt work i am traveling to a dr out of town who i saw years ago.  ill repost in 6 weeks and let you know if my cleansing works oh and that means no alcohol or wine too.  
i have been  feeling some pain lately and im red and sore down there i also have a small white discharge please HELP
I tried a bleach bath and it worked... Ive been through what you have gone through over and over..  even all vegetable diet.. have you asked to be tested for group b strep.. look up non pregnant... symptomatic gbs... 1 in 100,000 get it could be that... I am one of them.. I get all 3 yeast, b.v., and gbs.. all treated different.. Definetly think this is a lifestyle stress change and our immune systems weaker.. obviously shows if we get better when we change our diet.. that isn't coincidence
Also group b strep a lot of gynos do not believe that you can have symptomatic gbs.. Do any of you get sore red and achy in pelvic area besides itching.. It could be this.. The only antibiotic to work is penicillin.. others wont kick the strep infection.  Something to bring up if all else fails. They will see on the lab abnormal amount of gbs .. everyone has it . It can grow out of control.  They have to test for it specifically.. But hope this helps someone this is frustrating and affects your whole life..
I'm the scratcher, who wants to murder the itch!!! Itching for years but now is over the top!!!!!! I'm only thirty two years old, NEGATIVE for all std's exams, Never experienced infections; I've tried monistat, changing pads, tampons, no undies all day long, air the vagina during night time, taking three showers daily, cold wet rag, vaseline non-scented, baby oil, lotion, detergent has been changed, you name it, I've done it, relief for a few hours and then it comes back. OH, I forgot to mention, I also tried Colgate paste! I will do anything to take it away!!!  I've talked to my OB about the itch, my lips are scared, I'm embarrased to have sex with my spouse. The itch is now going from the front of the vagina, to the inside, and back to my butt cheeks. It had started at the bikini line very dry, then folding edge of the outside lip dry and itch, now is going back to the butt cheeks....I'M SCREAMING FOR HELP!!!!!!!! I can't sleep, I don't want to go out much anymore, the itch keeps me up at nights, and is controlling my every move.
Buy oral anti fungal capsules. These are one off doses. Take one a month for 3 months. This worked for me after years of itching. Have not had a problem since.
I am going through the same thing!  I am 27 and never had a yeast infection. took the pill for it. Tried over the counter ointments and treatm ents, tested for stds, bought underwear, stopped using soaps, changed to laundry detergent for newborns, tried using pads, lotion, epson salt soak, warm water w salt, warm water with vinager, warm water with betadine, probiotic pills, eating activa yougart.... Omg I tried everything!  I was able to stop it a couple of months with nonsented vit e lotion and it back! did I break it?  Haha...
What is the best way to keep from having reoccurring issues down yonder?
I'm 25 going on 26 but with all my feminine problems that keep coming up, I feel a lot older. I've had 5 different vaginal infections since I turned 19 (whch is also when I "gave away" my virginity): Vaginal, Bacterial, Yeast, Urinary Tract, & (due to my lack of experience in treating a UTI) Kidney infection. My doctor told me that it was all due to the fact that I was just going through the motions of life & that the fact that I'd had all these different types of infections meant that I was very fertile? Is it just me or is there something wrong with that statement?
Now, I've only been sexually active with one man (who's faithful, thoughtful, has no prior history of STDs or infections, & is VERY clean), usually don't wear thongs, constantly change out fabric softeners, wash with (& without) feminine wash, & haven't been able to take my birth control because every single time I'm suppose to, I get some type of infection that makes me have to go on antibiotics. I thought maybe it's because of me always having to take antibiotics but why would the doctors prescribe me something that's going to give me problems, right? I'm at my wits' end trying to figure this out on my own... I've even changed my food habits & reduced stressing about everything... but it's hard NOT to stress with issues like this!
Also, I'm very curious on how I could possibly resolve this problem for good.  For some reason, every year, at the same time, I get a UTI. No joke, it's spot-on like a holiday... Every March, it't the same thing....

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP!!!
i have been to the clinic n to the docter for my vaginal rash but its not going away but its getting worse
I am 27 and I am also a sufferer of itching. I have been having this horrible problem for about a couple weeks now, and I dont know what to do. I have bought Vagisil, and Yeast Azo pills.. but neither seem to be helping. My itching is on the inside of the lips. It goes all the way from the top down to where the vagina is. It is really starting to consume me.. I cant sleep... I try not to itch, but I cant help it.. I need to know what to do to help this.. I cant afford to get to a doctor, so if there is anything i can try... let me know please. I havent changed any of my toiletries, or household items. Same soap, laundry soap, toilet paper, pads, everything. I have only one partner and we are married so we have sex reguarly but havent since this. Please help!
same here mine starts right before my period, and it is so bad that I sleep with a cold wet cloth in between my legs at night just so I can get some sleep.  I itch during the day but I itch more at night so much more that it keeps me awake.
I been having an internal itching for the past 3 months went to the doctor m everything came out clear but I fill like if its coming from my bladder dnt no wht to do anymore
so sorry to hear of this .  there are several things if yo haven't tried them. next trip have doc check for "scabies". for now, use a dye free, scent free laundry detergent, and no fabric softener on your clothes ( it will take getting used to because we are told everything needs to smell like downy to be clean---it should have no smell if it is truly clean). make a rinse of apple cider water and garlic for down there. pat dry then allow area to air dry and dust area with corn starch and go . If you want to try a cold pack( do not use the corn starch until dry after cold pack),for a cold pack, I suggest disposable diapers if you can get them. they are not eco-friendly,but they make a longer lasting pack and you do not need to worry about sanitation, throw away after one use!  you pour water enough to make a wet diaper, 1/2 to 1 cup of water onto middle of the diaper then put in freezer .  when cold or frozen,put a cotton (washed like i mentioned above for laundry)( flannel if you have it-) cover on it, ( wrap it with a pillow case or something similar.) then place it on affected area for about an hour.you may try if these do not work for you or things are not available to you , do the rinse pat dry then coat with petroleum jelly. if it is yeast I have been told that yogurt(preferably plain) used to coat the area will kill the yeast. hope this helps . so sorry for your discomfort/misery.
Ok,,,so this is probably unrelated, but   've been having this discharge,whitish Α̲̅πϑ watery atimes, like powder granules mixed with water,but no itching or discomfort of any sort, just that its smelly,   searched the internet Α̲̅πϑ saw a remedy of salt Α̲̅πϑ dettol, but    don't use dettol, i use savlon. Α̲̅πϑ    tried it Α̲̅πϑ now its burning....Wα̲̅†̥ do i do? A̶̲̥̅♏ really scared. Α̲̅πϑ Wα̲̅†̥ should    take for the discharge? Taking doxycycline already.....help!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I just recently had surgery(on my nose) and my doctor prescribed amoxicillin incase of infection so a day or two after I noticed crazy vaginal itching so I kept asking my new husband do you see anything and if I stink and consintly taking showers I finally got on the net and googled side effects of amoxicillin and right there were all the problems I faced including itching and discharge of the vagina or rectum...So I guess I had an allergic reaction to it, all I can say is good thing it wasnt my rectum! lol
This is gonna sound real stupid but it worked for me and I don't care what anyone says!  I was desperate, I had severe itching, skin cracks and burning in my vaginal and rectum area for about a year. Sometimes it got so bad I would scratch and make it bleed. I tried everything was tested for all std's all negative. I noticed every time I peed it burned and honestly I think the fact I used baby wipes made it worse because the coolness down there felt so good I would wipe harder and make it bleed more. It just never seemed to be able to scab over. So I decided to use spray on bandaid........mother of god did it STING. What I did was go to Wal Mart and bought a can of something called New-Skin® Liquid Spray Bandage    here is the link so you can check it out:

http://www.newskinproducts.com/en/Products/Liquid_Bandage.aspx

OMG did it burn lolz!  i waited till everyone was gone from the house. I gathered my supplies razor to shave the pubic area, fan with high speed to dry the area after application. Took shower and shaved everything off in area to be treated, next I placed my fan facing the bed and proceeded to lie on the edge of the bed opened my legs put my finger over my clit (THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT PLEASE COVER THE CLIT AND PEE HOLE) to prevent the bandage from covering my pee hole and sprayed the bandage on. I quickly turned on the fan and cried it stung really bad for a few seconds. I let it dry and did 2 more coats which did not sting after the first one. For the next few days I was very gentle when I washed or cleaned myself after peeing. Honestly as soon as I put on the liquid bandaid and let it dry the itching stopped. The liquid bandaid fell off gradually but it gave my   vaginal area the time to heal. I am not saying this is for everyone but this is the only thing that worked for me. It has been 2 months without itching every time I think I might be getting itching out comes the spray.  
Please consult your own OBGYN before you ever try to self medicate this area of a woman's body is very sensitive. Wish you all the best and hope you find your cure.
As one commenter noted Enterobius vermicularis (pinworms) could be a culprit for many of you, especially if you have school aged children.  If treated for fungal and/or bacterial vaginosis and itching symptoms persist ask doc for a TAPE TEST.  Basically, a paddle with tape is applied to perianal region and observed under microscope, by lab, for characteristic D shaped eggs.  Hard to miss if it's there, unless lab tech is incompetent.  On that note, if you do have odor or discharge , and doc does not give you meds, and doc states wet prep came up negative  go somewhere else.  I have worked with many lab techs who are horrible at reading wet preps, however a good doc will be able to notice signs and symptoms on pelvic exam and prescibe despite that.  However, they may only prescribe antibiotics when you may in fact have a fungal infection or vice versa depending on what lab reports.  Tape test is not routinely done for vaginal itching definately something to consider and ask about.
Hi Ladies,

I am 33 years old and been suffering from an embarrassing problem for the last 5 years. There are only a few people close to my life that knows I have been struggling with this problem (mostly my long term partners who understood my “itch”).

I have done all my tests,  it’s not a yeast infection or STD, genitals warts, Herpes, or any type of skin to skin disease etc….and I have no discharge, I even went to the hospital because of burning/itchiness sensation was so bad I couldn’t take it anymore.

I developed a severe constant burning and itchiness in the area of my outer vagina ( just below the vagina opening) to my anus.  I don’t know how it started but when I get the unexpected sensation of burning I have itch it NOW.

My area down there got so raw at times I can’t even go swimming or even enjoy sex (oral also) because I got so concerned of how my area looked ….it got so dry at times and some parts were even red ( due to starching ) my current boy friend said it looked angry…lol.. The skin in that area is so discolored, lighter than my normal skin from my constant cycle of healing and scratching (the scars that developed over the years of bleeding from scratching) I didn’t even want my own Doctor to see it, I was so embarrassed.  

I even wake up in the middle of the night itchy and during the day I get burning/itchy sensation so I would run to the washroom so that I can scratch. Pretty much when I am home I would have my hand down my pants…depressing huh?

I know you’ll hear people/Doctors say things like : Change the soap, pat dry after you urinate, cotton undies, vagisil, change your detergent, used unscented pads/ tampons, Epsom Salt bath,  change your moisturizer, topical creams, antiseptic cream ,  polysporin, visine, Tea tree oil, cold compress, etc…..Believe me,  I’ve tried everything and NOTHING worked at all.

Just recently my Doctor recommended me to see other gynecologist that might be able to help. Great, another person to see my “problem area” , I wasn’t looking forward to it but hey, maybe this time whatever she recommend might just work.

The gynecologist recommended me to try this cream Ratio-Clobetasol Ointment 0.05%. She told me to put it on at night because it seems like that’s when it’s the itchiest but only put on a little.  After two days of using this cream….guess what… I no longer have the severe constant burning and itchiness feeling.

I just wanted to share my story and I hope this helps someone.  

i know what your going through.....ask your doctor for this cream it worked for me....my itch lasted for 5 years......cream Ratio-Clobetasol Ointment 0.05%

i hope it works for you as it did for me...

good luck
i know what your going through my itch lasted 5 years......ask your gynecologist for this cream Ratio-Clobetasol Ointment 0.05%....it worked within 2 days for me.

Good luck.

Good luck.

Good luck.
I have had this for a year and was treated w/antibiotics for a yeast infection then this week decided to see my obgyn for a ckup. she said i have Lichens which is a skin condition which is routinely misdiagnosed as many other things. its not contagious, is not sexually transmitted, and not cancerous. No known cause, or cure, treated w/steroids. i'm having a punch biopsy this week to verify the diagnosis.
This may be the answer for some of you!!  I had the same itchy problems you are describing for about 9 months.  I went to 4 different Gynecologists and they told me the same things you are hearing- maybe it's your soap, sleep naked, use these creams blah, blah, blah..  I could not take it anymore, and I was convinced that this was not normal and I should not have to do all this stuff just to feel not itchy.  Finally, I went to the fifth doctor.  She tested me for "GROUP B STREP".  I tested positive- she gave me some sort of 5 or 7 day prescription (pills) and it was gone - totally- for 6 years now- back to normal - no more creams, no more anything!!!  I could not believe I suffered for that long before finally a doctor figured it out.  Group B Strep is NOT a sexually transmitted disease.  It happens when microscopic amounts of fecal matter end up in your vagina and can cause a disruption of the flora in there.  Not hard to happen if you have been going to the bathroom all day, have had a bowel movement, and then have sex that evening without taking a shower first.  I know it sounds gross but, it easily happens to people.  So...  it's worth a shot- ask your doctor to test you for "GROUP B STREP".  Also, this is VERY important to know if you are going to have babies because once you have Group B Strep it lies dormant in your body and when you have a baby, they need to put you on an antibiotic during delivery.  It's extremely important!!  Don't worry you cannot pass Group B Strep on to your sexual partners.  (At least not as of latest research)  I was shocked that I had Group B Strep, as I was not engaging in anal sex or anything but, my doctor told me it's actually very easy to get, you do not even have to be sexually active and you can get it.  So even if you think this can't be what it is, it's worth a shot to mention to your doctor to be tested for Group B Strep.  It's real easy, it's just a swab test.  

Also, here are some things that might help, they are cardinal rules for me and should be for every woman!!  They should have taught this in health class!!  I have had no more problems:

1) ALWAYS urinate immediately after sex.  Even if it is just a few drops.  This will help eliminate your UTI's.  Do not just roll over and go to sleep!!  Very important!!

2)  ALWAYS wipe front to back.  (I know most woman know this one, but just want to make sure.)

3) DO NOT engage in anal sex.  If you must, DO NOT go from the anus to the vagina or mouth without thoroughly washing the penis with soap and water.  If you go from the anus to the vagina without washing, this is a sure fire way to get Group B Strep which causes itching.

4) Whenever possible try to have CLEAN sex.  Meaning both partners take  a bath or shower first.  If this is not possible, at the very least before sex, take a washcloth and wash your anus.  You don't want that bacteria from fecal matter getting mixed in during sex.

Hope this helps!!
I have had an itch for a couple of years but only where the hair is down there. tried shaving that makes it worse. Vagisil doesn't work at all. The only thing that helps me get through the day is Rexall feminine itch cream. They sell it at Dollar General. I've been to the doctor and they give me antibotics that never work. They even took a sample and said it's yeast. But that medication didn't work either. UGH.
Well I got drunk a couple of weeks ago, I ended up waking up in some guys house with just my pants and t-shirt on. I don't know if anything happened. But I'm worried because I have the implant in , I've had my period on and off , a bloated tummy, weird pains in my tummy. But its not sore when I go to pass urine? I've been tested b4 and I've came back all clear. I'm just wondering if any1 can tell me what's going on instead of going to the doctors? I'm scared some1 help me please?
these foods gave you anti anxiety medicine a joke.. if their vagina is on fire in itching they would have more concerned about yours.... try ultimate flora vaginal support mostly in health food stores vitamin stores in the refrigerated area
these fools gave you anti anxiety medicine a joke.. if their vagina is on fire in itching they would have more concerned about yours.... try ultimate flora vaginal support mostly in health food stores vitamin stores in the refrigerated area
I need to try some of those remedies - baking soda? or yogurt?  I have had this on and off for about 5 years now. One doc gave me a cream back when it started, and then I somehow lost that tube.  I'm convinced that I am kind of allergic to the mucus that comes out when I ovulate.  Seems like when that occurs, the itching begins.  Allergic to myself?  I'm practically menopausal, almost no period but still ovulating like clockwork... ugh I bought some OTC vaginal itching cream and it is helping me get through it this month, but I'm thinking I need somethign more significant if it's going to continue....  
I use 100% Pure Jojoba Oil on my labia at night and the itch stops completely. Oof course I wipe from front to back and in addition use a baby wipe to clean fecal matter after a bowel movement. I am healed. Hope this helps.
Hello!

I've been having the exact same problem for nearly 4 years now!
No doctor has been able to help! I've had external and internal ultrasounds, blood tests, and my boyfriend has even been given a blood test. All negative.
It's very itchy and irritating, and I'm 99.9% sure it's NOT and STI.
Driving me crazy!

I was just wondering if you've found out what it is.
Or have gotten treatment and you posted this a few years ago.

Thanks!
Lichen Sclerosis - which is a condition I was diagnosed with 16 months after having a vaginal hysterectomy - has very similar symptoms to those described by many on this thread.  The test that confirms LS is a skin biopsy of the vulval area.  Initially,  I had to use Canestan cream followed by eleuphrat ointment (a steroid) twice daily for a month then once daily for a month and I am now on a maintenance treatment of three applications a night per week, which keeps the symptoms under control most of the time.
I am also seeing a naturopath for acupuncture and diet.  No scientific proof that diet has any bearing but my personal experience is that it refined sugars, yeast and gluten together with diary products is best avoided.
I follow the dietary advice of my naturopath which is to avoid the food items mentioned earlier and include lots of fresh fruit and steamed vegetables.
Drink lots of water also - about 3 litres a day.  I see my dermatologist every six months and my naturopath every six weeks. LS is a life long condition that can flare up from time to time but I have been told that with careful management the symptoms can be controlled.  Hope this helps.

I too have suffered with extreme vulva itching since a total hysterectomy 10 years ago.  It was diagnosed as Litchen Sclerosis and my gynecologist felt it was caused by to much estrogen (from foods) and not enough progesterone and testosterone, in other words, hormonal imbalance.  I was prescribed Clobetasol Propionate(a very strong steroid cream), which does help with the itching. Then, four years ago my gynecologist implanted a hormonal pellet.  I received a hormonal pellet every 3-4 months and I began to sleep better, vulva itching, dryness, and tearing stopped, my hair quit falling out, I had energy and my sex drive returned, and best of all, I lost belly fat I could never get rid of after 2 kids.  After 4 years of pellets the vulva itching returned and I'm back on Clobetasol Propionate cream.  My Gyno says my hormones are unbalanced again and I will have to undergo extensive blood work to determine what I will need in my next hormonal pellet implant.   Don't give up hope and search for a doctor that has expertise and knowledge about hormonal pellet implants.
I had a complete but with the overies left for homones puposes;however, I have also had this condition the last two years. I, also get a white (yeast Lke discharge) but test yeast neg. Dr. says it from not enough air flow, so no lace ,satin, silk, ect.. only full cotton breatheable, for the itch I found a benedryl cream and pill helped big time.. My doctor hasn;t said anything about the meds your talking about but i still have my overies so that may be why, but I think they are not working right anymore as I have begun getting cyst on them, as the eggs have no where to go. i wish you all luckbut for you with allergies get some Benedryl asap and also Aveno oatmeal baths help too. "Pain being a lady"
1. wear only cotton underwear
2. wash and dry under the sun for at least 5 hours and take them in before 5:00pm
3. never iron your underwear
4. never use soap or vaginal wash down there
5.avoid frequent use of panty liners
6. avoid tight clothing
7. mantain good vaginal hygiene
8. sugar in drinks/fruits, alcohol, carbohydrates, coffee, honey provide a breeding environment for candida leading to thrush
9. take probiotic to replenish your vaginal flora
10. avoid scented products for your vagina but mild moisturisers like aloe vera and baby soap
11. avoid sitting on public toilets, if you must, line the seats to avoid infection
12. maintain healthy eating habits and drink lots of water

Good luck!