Vaginal Itching
Hi, ive been having a problem for a few months now, i have been to 5 different obgyn's to find out why this is happening. I have severe vaginal itching, I have been tested for all STD's, and for a yeast infection. all negitive. then i changed all my undies and clothes to loose fitting and 100% cotton undies ( or none at all on) and i still cant stop itching, i stopped haveing sex, use cetafil to clease or just water at times. i have to literally walk around with an ice pack between my legs to sleep, and stop the itch...help me...should i see a dermatologist???
Ok Are you ready for this?  FABRIC SOFTENER.  Are you using it in the laundry?  If so don't and see what happens, it might be this.  
I had a similar problem, it felt like crabs or something crazy like that...(remember the movie Fast Times at Ridgemont HIgh? the boys visited a hooker to lose their virginity and got crabs).  Anyway, it wasn't but it felt like that.  I finally figured out the fabric softener (it was my undies) was causing the itch!!  How nuts, right?  I think it was Downy.  Sometimes it can be fragranced detergents/fabric softener/and dryer sheets.
Also-DO NOT SCRATCH!!! makes it much worse.
I have had a few bouts of a similar problem to you.  Also was tested for STDS etc - all clear !!  WE recently went to Malaysia for 2 weeks - and I had a shocking outbreak - itchy, red, sore - horrible.  It really put a dampener on parts of our holiday.  As soon as we arrived home I went to a different GP and he advised it was dermatitis.  I was prescribed cream which did clear it up within a few days and it hasnt returned - touch wood.  Maybe go to your GP and query dermatitis !!  Apparently it can occur suddenly as it did with me - also while we were away I was washing out underwear in fairly strong soap - this probably contributed - post me any questions you may have
Good luck - I know how distressing it is
my first instinct about the dr. giving you the anxiety pills for the itching was like, WHAT? what kind of dr. is this? but once i calmed down, in defense of the dr. he may have been attributing the itching to stress. my friend broke out in a terrible itchy rash (all over body,face) and tried everything to figure it out. in the end, dr. concluded it was stress related. her itchyness has gone down considerably but does occur every now and then. are you stressed about anything? are you itchy on the outside or the inside? what about your toilet paper?
thank you for your comment...ive tried EVERYTHING...i went out and bought brand new undies, wear loose clothing, no soap down there, i dont even dry my undies or even wash them with anything else....if it was an allergic reaction to something, how long until it does clear up, are we talking months???? i was instructed to put lotion down there....that maybe its dry.?.?.? im at my last wits with this, it will clear up and then then come right back....could it be something im eating??? or is that crazy?? i went to the docs again yesterday....they had nerve to tell me that its in my head and they gave me anti-anxiety pills???? what the heck is that about???? they told me it was in my head....i KNOW im not crazy AGHHHHHH
I just have a quick question for everyone..... this is the story: A few days ago I was in a wedding and for the rehersal I wore a thong (I was wearing white pants). Well the thong was too small, and I wore it throughout the next morning while getting my hair done and everything as well... I changed into a different thong for the actual wedding, one that fit and by the end of the night when I went home and got back into regular panties, it hurt. I'm pretty young (21) so I asked my mom and she said it's probably a rash that developed from wearing a thong that's too small.... has anyone ever expereienced something like this? and does it go away just over time?? It's not THAT annoying, it's just when I think about it then it gets a little itchy. I put on some mild cream actually made for baby diaper rash, helping a little, but has this happened to anyone else???
The itching is in the fold of the lips...stress...?? hmmm...nothing out of the ord. i accually have come across more stress in the last two days upon finding out my mother has breast cancer than i have in a long time....and im fine down there as this is happening....i did look at my package of pads ive been using (my whole life-the always brand) they dont say unscented but they also dont say scented either...so i went and got UNSCENTED and am now trying that....crossing my fingers...my toilet paper is unscented....ive stopped taking my birth control pills...they are a low dose, but can they be doing anything??? everyone says no but thats the only thing i put into my body daily....???? i will get over this!!! hehehe
one more thing i just read that you should finish a pack of birth controll then stop taking it...is it bad not to??? i stopped mid cycle....should i start again???
Yeah I had to use an icepack all of yesterday and through this morning to tame the itch!  I understand!  What I would recommend is this: go to wrongdiagnosis.com and look up "vulva itch".  You will find 45 conditions and 13 drug interactions that can cause it.  Print out the list, go to your obgyn and DO NOT LEAVE untill she has crossed out every single one of them.  You might need to see a few more docs before you can determine what it is, and bring the list!  Doctors dont think to look for everything, so do your homework.  I am going through the same process now.

Best of luck to you!
THANK U SO MUCH!!!  I honestly think it may be the fabric softener.
This past weekend i went bike riding with my little brother and I was wearing the boxer short underwear. The underwear kept rubbing up against me causing me to be very sore and itch very badly.  When I looked at myself down there, I was very red and sore on the lips and around the clitoris.  It has been 1 week and I am still itching!!! Can someone please tell me what to do!?!  I'm 19 years old, I'm not sexually active, and I don't have a obgyn.  Please Help Me!!

please e-mail me at ***@****

1 word - Pill!  I was on Microgynon for 2 years, for 2 years I had severe itching, tried EVERYTHING, icepacks, lollies, yoghurt, cold baths EVERYNIGHT for 2 years!!  I went to a naturalist and she suggested that the pill was the issue, I came off it and within a few days, NO ITCHING!  That was 2 years ago, haven't had any recurrences since.  Apparently, it was the increased Oestrogen which was irritating the skin.  However, I am on Dianette Pill now, this causes no problems.

I wish you all the very best!
I have had a severe itch for about 18months.  When i develop the itch, i also notice red tiny,tiny, bumps on the tip of my clitoris. My vulva (especially between the folds of my lips) becomes red, irritated, and i get this crack(skin tear).  I have been tested several times for STD's and all are negative.  The doctors said it resembles herpes, but all test are negative including the several cultures that two different dr's obtained.  I never imagined that a person could experience so much pain in that area.  Sometimes i feel as though i might not be able to bear the pain.  I cry, and i just can't imagine what it could be.  I recently went to my dr. 3days ago, and she did a culture of the skin tear and it came back with positive yeast.  I just hope that the medication (suppository and cream) will finally clear up this mess.  I can only pray but for some reason i don't think is is, it hasn't yet.  Mandysz, i think my symptoms are like yours.  Have you had any more outbreaks and if not, please give me some advice.  Can you tell me the name of the cream that he prescribed for you.  Thank you so much.
plz help!! have had very severe itching between folds of the lips at the to p for ages now!!!!  it itches soooo bad i wanna itch but i know i shouldnt its also red and sore and it feels swollen? and i also think there is a bump there any suggestions?
I have been dealing with the same itch for about a year now.  I have the itch on my outer labia, bikini area, anus, and have some itchy patches on the sides of my stomach.  I went to a Dr and was told that it was lichen simplex.  The itch-scratch disorder.  Basically, if I stop scratching it will go away.  Well how the heck do you stop scratching.  I had been on steroids for the past 5 yrs for chronic hives and finally got off of them in July of 07 due to a new med called Xolair.  This is for asthma and allergies.  Anyways,  I also have dandruff.  I don't know if it is associated with this whole itching thing or not.  I have tried using Triamcinilone cream and other cortizone creams.  They help for a short time and it's back to the crawling itch.  I have been tested, and it was not due to an STD either.  I tend to get bacteria infections after each time of having sex with my husband.  Therefore, we don't do it that much.  :(  I always feel like I have discharge down there and unclean.  I shower often, but try not to use harsh soaps.  I have tried free laundry products, and nothing seems to help.  After each bowel movement I have, my anus itches so bad no matter how good I wipe.  I am so frusterated!!!!!!!!! I have dug myself raw and made myself bleed many times.  I have scars and skin darkening from it.  What the Heck?????????????????????????? Help!!!!!!!!!!
i have been having the same awful symptoms as you itchers, for about a year now. I am in menopause for about 11/2 years, and haven't had sex for about 2 years,  poor me. i have been tested for all the usual. i was diagnosed with a simple yeast infection, however the 1 night treatment I was sent home with didn't even scratch the surface!! my problem is I have no insurance and the public health dept. just seems to usher you through.I have been in such pain and embarrasment. I have "learned to scratch with the least amount of damage, but there is alot. I am 50 years old and feel like I am really damadging myself. the odor is so bad I am even asshamed to just try on clothes with my friends and family.The next problem is that I drink alcohol every day. i am not a drunk, but I have a couple of rum and cokes , I would say on average,15 a week. Is that bad? I have heard that drinking can really add to my problem. I will give it up if that is true, however I will need some help.Otherwise my advise to anyone is to keep your fingernails short!
I have been itching nonestop for 4 weeks inside the lips at the top and middle. There are no red spots or bumps that I can see. I have also been itching a little on the outside at the top. I have been shaving too, but I don't see how shaving could cause me this much pain and itching.I had sex a week ago, but I have not done it with any other guy for a few months before, and I don't believe he had done it with anyone els for a long while. I NEED HELP!
im in the same boat it seems when i turned 30 i started falling apart ive got vaginal itching mainly inside on clit area and around the folds and when it itches it itches BAD! well i can tell you baking soda paste seems to help a little BUT IT HURTS when you put it on either it works or it just hurts that it takes your mind off the itching i only itch getting closer to dark time.ive tried the plain yogurt that also seems to work for a while.i havent been to the dr recently but i have benn tested for stds and all neg. been married for 10 yrs so he has been my only partner and vice versa.im going to try a burrows solution its sold at drug stores Also ive noticed that mine starts up right before my menstrual cycle anyone else?
I have to admit it was a little relieving to know that I am not suffering alone. I have been dealing with itching for almost a year. Went to Midwife (my OB) and she tested for the usual suspects and came up empty. I don't take birth control or any other meds, I have changed everything that touches my genitals, soap, laundry soap, undies, pants, washcloths, toilet paper, even my flushable wipes, believe me EVERYTHING. And it just continues. There are times when I am almost normal, only a slight itch that I can ignore in public, but it flares, like it is right now where I cannot even sleep at night. I use Vagisil (what a joke), and hydrocortisone (which I don't even know if you are supposed to use on your genitals) both relieve a little and feel better than nothing. I don't have an issue with dryness and I even waxed everything to see if I could see a rash or bumps or something, but nothing, just redness from my scratching. I don't have any odor or strange discharge, just itchiness. It is driving me crazy. If you all know of creams that work please please please let me know! I am going to try washing my undies in hot water with no soap or softener and see if that works so I will keep my fingers crossed.
Itching can be caused by a number of things all listed above. If a cause for this cannot be detected, it may be inflammation caused by an autoimmune disorder called Behcet's Syndrome's. Initial symptoms closely resemble the herpes virus, causing inflammation, vaginal sores, cuts, fissures, or folliculitis. Other symptoms develop years later, so it is very important that you find out just what it is that is causing your symptoms. Don't be too quick to brush it off as nothing, Behcet's disease affects people of every age and every race. It is important you see a doctor who know's enough to help you. Ask them about Behcet's Syndrome, if they don't know enough to tell you about it, they won't be able to tell you if you have it or not.