Vaginal Odor Help please (this is embarassing)!!!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ok I had sex last month and discovered a couple weeks later that I had forgotten to take my tampon out. Well I noticed a horrible, gross odor coming from my vagina and realized that something was wrong. I'm sexually active and when I would have sex the smell was so intense that the whole room smelt like it and it would turn me and my partner off to having sex altogether. When I realized that it was my tampon I decided to sit down and reach up in there and pull it out. After 30 min of trying I finally got the nasty thing out. I was relieved thinking the bad smell would soon go away with time now that the tampon was finally out. Turns out the smell is STILL there and its so bad that I can smell it  through my pants even when I'm just sitting down relaxing. I want to be able to enjoy sex but the smell is really getting to me. I don't want to have sex when it smells so bad I cant even concentrate and I can only imagine what my partner is thinking. I just started my period again recently and the smell is even worse. I dont know what to do and as embarassing as this is I had to ask someone. This smell isnt going away anytime soon is feels like. Its VERY strong and intense. I'm wondering if it's an infection from the tampon bein in so long and I need to see a doctor or if it's something that will go away with time. any answer will help. thank you.
How long do you keep your tampons in for? You should definately change them a couple of times a day and could be a reason for the odor. Also, you probably have an infection. Does it itch or feel unconfortable? If so, you should probably go to the drug store and get medication for a yeast infection (sold over the counter). If there is a foul smelling odor ir is usually a sign of a vaginal infection.

Women are very prone to infections so you have to be careful. You should also clean the area with non scented soap and where cotton under wear. Antibiotics can also cause yeast infections. Some use douching to get smells out but again this may cause infections in other women.

If you do have an infection, stop having sex because although your partner wont have syptoms (symptoms), you can be passing the infection back and forth to eachother!
He didnt feel the tampon inside you when he was in you? Wow! I dont know what to say.  I woudl say that douching is bad BUT if you get a solution of water you coudl do it with just that to cleanit out. Google it! Im sure ur not the first this has happened too! I woudl not use scented douche b/c if you have an infection you coudl make things way worse.
First see a health care profesdional, having a tamopon in for weeks just put you at a greater risk of toxic shock syndrome. Take heed because it can be life threatening. Second wash with unscented dove twice a day during menstration. Next try removing any and all pubic hair. Sweat and hair causes odor mixed with blood equals disaster. Also make sure the doctor test you for trich, chlamydia,gonnorrhea, or bacterial vaginosis. These four infections causes foul odor, yeast does not. Most likely you have bv which is bacterial vaginosis. Your vaginal flora has been altered and it causes the most hideous odor. Antibiotics or gel in prescribed for that. Introduce yogurt and prebiotics to your diet. One capsule should have one million organisms. Follow my advice, this will definitely help your problem. We all experience an std or bv at least once in our lives
You definitely have an infection. The balance of bacteria in the vagina is very sensitive and once that environment is disturbed the result is usually excessive discharge and odor. Do not self medicate, go to your gynecologist. There are prescription pills and inserts that can help. Please do not douche, it is never healthy and will upset your vaginal PH even more. A product I swear by is Rephresh, this product consists of inserts that contain a PH balancing gel, they are gentle and highly effective. Vaginal odor that is foul destroys confidence, so please see your gynecologist sooner rather than later.