Vaginal Odour Problem

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal Odour Problem

I work in a busy office amongst male and female coworkers. During this summer, I began to notice a strong vaginal smell when I arose from my chair. My job requires me to sit all day on my bum, and I am "blessed" with a naturally wet bottom. The odor is very distinctive and almost like swiss cheese, pungent and very noticeable. (I am horrified to tell you all this, sorry!!!). I can detect this smell usually when I am ovulating, but at other times as well. I'm married and have 2 children, am sexually active, but my gynaecologist has not detected yeast infection, trichomonas, or BV, nor do I have dysplasia or any other problems that she has informed me about. I have received only sheepish shrugs and dismissals about the smell, which is intermittent, but very noticeable at times. I am so embarrassed that my mates at work can smell me, but I am not sure. Just extremely self-conscious. I wear cotton knickers, never douche, and have recently switched from pantyhose to stockings. I have no itching, irritation or burning, just creamy to clear discharge (I have had a lot of so-called 'normal' wetness since puberty). I wonder if my weight has anything to do with this. Please help. I am 1.65 m in height and weigh 200 lb. Any advice would be appreciated. THANKS!
You said you never douche.  Now might be the time to start.  Something gentle, and not everyday.  Maybe every 3rd morning in the shower before you go to work.  Maybe every other morning during your "strong" time.
According to a health book from Kaiser, it sounds like you might have vaginitis.  Sympotms are unusal discharge and odor.  I know you said you've been told your discharge is normal, but why the odor?  Basically vaginitis is a change to the chemical balance of the vagina.  It can be from something major like STDs or as little as douching or using tampons.  I personally would not douche as I think it causes more harm than good.  Maybe you could keep a few wet washcloths in a ziplock bag.  You could clean yourself whenever you got to the bathroom.  Just get a larger purse so you can be somewhat discreet.  Be careful of using soaps too and make sure you always wear cotton panties.
Hi alice....I just wanted to say that everybody is different, and that maybe you could carry with you some scented wipes in your purse, as long as they don't irritate you and everytime you go to the bathroom use one to refresh yourself, and to wear a really thin panty liner that is scented and change it every so oftend. That way the odor is not staying on your underwear and is on the liner and use the wipes in between. Just an idea. Hope this is helpful :)
Thank you to you as well! I already use the vaginal wipes, but I can't use any perfumes or scented ones, including the scented bathroom paper or pads or tampons on orders of my physician. I am just wondering if my body is changing. I am 46 and very sexually active, perhaps more so than at any time. I still think it could be my hypertension Rx or the oral cortisone. The odd thing is that my husband actually likes my increased odour of late! Men. During cunnilingus, he seemed to be enjoying himself rather well, as I did. I do have a very acute sense of smell, and I believe that I may be pre-menopausal, as I tend to perspire and feel hotter in the breast and abdomen. I have performed a self examination of my vulva with a mirror and light each day and have seen no evidence of abormal discharge or inflamed mucosa. I had a Pap smear in July at about the time I began to feel self conscious of my bottom, and it came back classI. It really is not as bad as when I wore nylon pantyhose without knickers (the crotch would become sodden and I think that contributed). I am of a mind to call my gynaecologist and see if she feels I need HRT orally or by creme. Sorry to rant, but I was so embarrassed today when a mail clerk bent over my desk and looked at me funny. Paranoid? Maybe! LOL!!Thank you all for listening.
Thanks for the advice. I purchased an OTC single use douche and used it last night. I actually did feel fresher (I had just had intercourse yesterday morning). I used to douche soon after I married but stopped on advice of my gyn following a series of chronic vulvovaqinitis due to candidiasis. I haven't had the "cheese clumps" or red vaginal lips or itching for several years now, thank goodness, but the odor is still the same.

My current theory is that I went on a dose pak of cortisone for a knee injury and it seems like I smelled stronger at about that time. The odor is like when I am aroused (which is very frequently; attributed to the medication maybe?)only much more picquant and noticeable. Unfortunately my vulva and panties still have that interminable wetness and smell. It is not fishy, more acidic and almost like ones fingers smell after handling a sharp cheese. It's not bad, just strong. Oh well, I will keep trying. Thanks for your kind advice all of you.
You can make your own douches too, to help save on cost.  Just cut the very top off of one of the OTC bottles you bought (a pair of manicure scissors cuts right through that thin plastic) and then add a little vinegar if you want.  Obviously don't cut the threaded part off or you'll never get the end screwed back on, but just the very top so you can fill it easily in the sink or shower.  Plain water also works very well just to freshen up and eliminate any discharge (for me anyways).
I appreciate your advice. I will try your tip. How often do you douche, if I may ask? I was advised against it, and even vinegar and water don't abate the smell, but maybe it's just "my scent", stronger but normal?? I used to douche after intercourse and following my period, but my gyn said it would upset the balance of organisms in my vagina. IWantTOBeAMom, what tells you you need to do this, or what sort of schedule do you use? My doc said to wipe the vulva with tissue following intercourse and just use normal bathing to rid menstrual discomfort - even went so far as to say avoid using soap or female clenasers and only to use warm water and fingers.

Thanks, Alice
I don't know if you're still reading this - it's been a few days and I didn't realize that you responded.

I don't have a schedule.  I do it whenever I feel that have a lot of discharge or anytime that I feel that I might be getting a yeast infection.  I use plain water for the discharge times and vinegar/water for the yeast infection times.

I know doctors say not to, because it isn't medically necessary.  But for me, I feel it's hygenically necessary.  I know they say it can upset the balance of organisms, but I've never had a problem with that.  At times when I'm on vacation and am wearing a bathing suit I douche every day for the duration of the vacation (plain water).

I think someone mentioned it above, but maybe you could try coupling the douching with wearing a pantyliner.  Then you can change the pantyliner half-way through your day and that will help to stay drier.  In my opinon, it seems smelly when the underwear gets discharge on it, so anything you can do to keep the discharge off of your panties and stay dry would be good.
Hi. I am a 24 year old female who was sexually involved
with a man for 2-3 months. I feared pregnancy so the
only sex we had was anal sex. (THIS IS VERY EMBARRASSING)
Anyways, about a month after breaking up with him,
I noticed some itching in the anal area  but did not
pay much mention. About 7-8 months later, I was bathing
and noticed 2-3 tiny bumps in the anal area. I still
was clueless so I ignored this. About 5 months later,
I noticed an increase and spread of bumps, intense itching
and burning at times during urination. At this point, I
realized that I had contracted an STD. Having no insurance
and terribly embarrassed I have yet to go to a doc.
My question is, I am now experiencing a terrible vaginal
odor and discharge unlike anything I have ever experienced
so strong that I must bathe twice a day and change underwear
numerous times as well as changing panty liners.
I am not involved and refuse to date anyone due to this because
it's so humiliating and embarrassing. I am convinced I have
genital warts. Is the odor in relation to the warts? I have only
been with 3 men sexually and almost always USE CONDOMS except
a few times with the guy mentioned above. I am terrified that
if I don't get treatment it will keep spreading and there
will be nothing I can do--and this will bring a lot of distress
when I am in a committed relationship again. Please advise me
what I should do.
Thanks,
Embarrassed and humiliated.

PS TO ALL WHO READ THIS ESPECIALLY WOMEN, PLEASE EVEN IF IT IS EMBARRASSING ASK YOUR BOYFRIEND OR PARTNER TO GET TESTED BEFORE MOVING INTO ANY SEXUAL ACTIVITY WITH OR WITHOUT PROTECTION. THE GUY I WAS WITH HAD NO SIGNS OR SYMPTOMS BUT HE PASSED IT ONTO ME. ALSO, I HAVE READ THAT IT's MUCH EASIER FOR A WOMAN TO CONTRACT ESPECIALLY GENITAL WARTS THAN MEN AND PEOPLE CAN CARRY THE VIRUS FOR YEARS WITH NO SYMPTOMS.  THEY MAY FEEL INSULTED, BUT IF THEY DO OBVIOUSLY THEY ARE NOT WORTH IT. I NEVER DREAMED I WOULD CATCH AN STD..
I AM A VERY ATTRACTIVE YOUNG WOMAN WHO IS TOO EMBARRASSED TO DATE ANYONE DUE TO WHAT HAPPENED TO ME. I WISH I WOULD HAVE DEMANDED HE GET TESTED.
NOW I HAVE TO LIVE WITH THE THOUGHT OF TELLING SOMEONE DEAR TO ME, I HAVE GENITAL WARTS. DON'T LET IT HAPPEN TO YOU--it may not be genital wartsbut could be something deadly like AIDS. FYI>
Hi...I have recently noticed a 'cheesy odour' as well. Haven't noticed this before. I was in a very long term relationship which has ended and i met someone new. We had a few days of 'being very active' and i have a few days ago noticed this odour...i also feel that people around me can smell me and i constantly keep spraying perfume on my clothes! I am due to get my period...i didnt use a condom and he was a little bit bigger than what I was used to (omg..cant believe I am writng this!) so any ideas on what I could do?
Really need help
Dear Kalee

Its unlikely that the warts are causing an odour, but you do have an STI as it burns when you pass urine, there is an odour and you have an increased discharge.

You need to get treated, it may be that you only need a short course of antibiotics to resolve the problem. Also your partner needs treatment too.Often with many STIs the person is unaware they are infected, which is probably the case with your partner and there are complications if you don't get treated. For females there is a risk of pelvic inflammatory disease, this condition may leave you infertile.

Please get yourself checked out, Im from the UK so am unaware whats on offer in other countries but perhaps go to a sexual health clinic, they will screen you for other STIs may offer free treatment.

I am a 23yr old female in Australia. I also have a bad odor sometimes :(
I was wondering what ****** means?
Thank you alll for your responses,

After much concern, research, consultation and readingc I have finally reached the conclusion that my odour concerns are healthwise unfounded, and are simply natural and nothing to be concerned about. My new doctor has said she has many overyly sensitive females in the peri-menopausal ages, as well as older and younger, who seem to be worried about the naturally musky sexual and body smells that abound. Of course, having infections and other pathologies are genuine concerns, and must be diagnosed by an MD, but we all have some degree of sebum, smegma, pheromones, and other vaginal / vulvar scents, which have a sexual purpose and indicate no harm to us. This is according to my very capable gynaecologist. I have been deluded into believing we should be asceptic - having a neutral odour or none at all. My husband has been helpful in this research, and I hope you all will remain vigilant in pursuit of good health. Thanks ever much! Ali
try vagina Guard you can get that at the pharmacy.
Im a 21 year old girl and I have never had sex with anybody, because since I could remember I have a vagina odor, sO i don't want to be with any male smellin kind of  weird, but I ask mom about it and she said every woman vagina smells, you just have to keep it clean, I wean pantiliners, i ****** after periods every month, my gyn said that there was nothing wrong with me, I don't kno what it its, but I kind of smell bad..this is crazy to admit, but I do...I just want to kno is there something wrong and I am a big boned female like 265, could that be the reason, that I get kind of sweaty down there and is it because I don't wash front to back, I just wipe my vagina....Any advice on this????
I don't understand where all of you are getting the idea that  d o uc h i n g is a good idea. D o u c h i n g can potentially force bacteria further up into the vagina causing and infection. No Gyno will ever tell you to d o u c h e.
Hi Alice, I have been interested in finding out what causes vaginal odour for many years and I have heard numerous theorys none of which explain the fact that normal healthy women of childbearing age always have a vaginal odour to some varying degree.
I have had a very active sex life and I have had relationships with  a considerable amount of women and I have been married 3 times [legally of course] and I have never met a woman [except for one instance] that did not have a vaginal odour and this includes virgins of which I was lucky to experience several times,as for the exception this patricular woman had had a hysterectomy at the age of 26 and she had no odour at all, it is also true in my experience of older women beyond menopause that they have no odour, so to sum up, it appears to me that all women below menopause have a naturally occurring scent in varying degrees,this scent in my experience varies with the individual during the month and during life,women beyond menopause lose this scent either entirely or partially, I once had a girlfriend who had a really powerful odour but it was never noticeable except when making love,so Alice you sound pretty normal to me,good luck, JMR.
Hi all :)
okay, heres my story.

I am 20 years old and was in a 2 year relationionship from 15-17 years old and I was sexually active. I never had any issues and was on birth control for the last year of my relationship.

Once I became single, for a few months I ran abit buck wild and was sexually active with more than a few partners. I was getting checked for STI's constantly and was always confirmed as clear.

I started dating someone shortly after and we became sexually exclusive. We always used condoms but once in the moment we didnt and he shortly there after told me about some kind of infection he had long ago and he was worried he would pass it on to me. I found this odd because he reeassured me it wasnt an STD. So I thought that was kinda odd. Nearly a week later I had this itchy feeling and light discharge aswell as a bit of odour. I right away went to my doctor and got tested for every STD in the book and came clear. I was treated for a yeast infection and it went away.- me and this guy never spoke again.

I am now currently in a relationship and have been for about a year. And ever since that "yeast infection" Ive had an on- and off yeat infection. Always treating it with canesten or monastat. A couple months ago the odour was just so strong that even my boyfriend could smell it during sex ( disgusting) so i had to go to the doctors. I got a perscription for a yeast infection. A week later it was gone!! yay!!! but a week after that, it was back. I went back to the doctor, and he gave me a stronger perscription that he said would 100% take care of the yeast infection. That day I also got a pap test done and was tested to STD's. I am currently waiting for the results and as of two days ago the odour has been sooooo harsh I want to vomit. It smells like cheese, or something sooo strong. (sorry to be so descripted). I dont know what it could be and its really ruining any sexual feelings me and my boyfriend could possibly have. I feel like crying.

I also duche regulaly and I use tampons.
I also am on birth control.

Can anyone help????
My doctor is completely incompetant.
Just an opinion, but it is shared by many women and doctors I have heard comment on this subject: douching is pretty much unnecessary, and can be counterproductive to your body's maintenance of a healthy balance of organisms within the vagina. I won't go so far as to say never (I have made my own thanks to advice from some respondents to my posts here). I really rarely find the need to, but follow your own best advice. Alice
Hello ladies,

I think it is extremely important that in cases of vaginal issues, you think outside of the "box" (no pun intended). The first thing for me that comes to mind is diet. Vaginal odours are due to an increase of bacteria (usually candida) in the vagina, and will flourish with improper food choices. Before you think that you have a problem and that you are never going to get help, evaluate your diet and exercise lifestyle. Eating sugar is the worst possible thing for getting rid of bad bacteria, and unfortunately it is in almost everything we eat. I encourage everyone to read food labels - you will be shocked at how many things have sugar in them! I would recommend trying a "bacteria cleanse" eating regime for three weeks and see how the odour in your vagina changes. In other words, eat only vegetables and protein (meat, nuts)- and if you want fruit, choose an apple. Take a probiotic supplement to help your body be infused with good bacteria. And if necessary, go to your doctor and talk to him/her about getting on medication to relieve vaginosis. You will get better, just think outside the box!
I'm so relieved to hear this many women discussing this rather unpleasant subject matter. I too suffer from this and have simply been using panty liners + showering daily of course. I don't think using a douche is the right method of treatment. I've had a variety of eating habits, healthy & unhealthy..didn't make a difference - it might if it was a subtle condition, but I think after reading everybody's comments/questions, this is NO subtle condition. I too feel embarressed at work (office) and my only saviour in keeping sane about it, is convincing myself that nobody can tell. It's winter now and I have a long, thick coat to wear when I hop on the packed tram to go home...I'm really dreading summer. 33, sexually active with same partner for 8 years, no thrush problems for years, never been pregnant, diagnosed with herpes...at 16...when I lost my virginity. Sad, over it and at a loss...
Vaginal odour is very similar to one's normal body odour / perspiration smell, only loaded with pheromones, which are highly arousing to most hetero males. Odd thing I heard somewhere was that these compounds have no discernible (i.e. identifiablel) smell to the average person. Thus I would not be overly concerned that others would suddenly associate your vaginal aroma with you, especially on the evening tram homeward (everybody sweats at work, even in A/C luxuriated environments). Your statement that you've had no thrush is definitely a good sign that your body's flora are in balance. Get to your doc annually as you are 33 (and PLEASE have mammograms.. I know too many women, some of them nurses, who've gotten breast cancer because they neglected themselves). Sorry, I had to throw that in there. Have a nice summer.
Hi There;
I started typing this whole story about my experience with vaginal odour, but since we all know what it is like to some varying degree I will cut to the chase and let you all in on a little secret.  Your vaginal flora is out of whack.  You can fix this by purchasing a bottle (60capsules) of SWISS - Lactobacillus Acidophilus & Bifidus for $8.79 CN$ from any local pharmacy or Wal-Mart for even less.  

Insert one pill nightly, high into your vagina and you'll be very happy if you try this advice.  Please let me know if it helps, and spread the word to other females who are fighting this problem. Most women I tell thank me and they too in turn tell others. We are now working on a website to tell women all over the world about this quick fix. More women have this problem that would admit to it, but their partners, children and co-workers know and smell it and sometimes label them for the odour, unless they are experiencing it too or know about it.  

I haven't had the problems in over 3 years, and I also lost quite a bit of weight.  I forgot to mention that I took them vaginally initially, but after a couple months the odour didn't return, however, I kept taking them orally for intestinal health since I noticed that I was losing all the weight, plus I wanted the smell to stay away. We are what we eat, and I don't think it has anything to do with our hygiene or undiagnosed STD's.

My vaginal flora is now neutral in odour, it doesn't smell like anything actually.  Remember when you purchase the pills you have to purchase the vegetable capsules as they are dissolvable in the vaginal tract, the idea is that the pill neutralizes the vaginal tract making it free of bacteria and odourless. I hope this helps for all, try it and see.  I met many people over this and we are now building a website to share our information about the fix. I myself and so many women have been lifted out of depression, despair and  whatever other emotions go along with the fact of having a very unpleasant odour that you can't control or are embarrassed to talk about. Most of them thank us, as they realize that the major causes of them spiralling into whatever mental anguish was because of the problem and the odour and not knowing about the root cause of the odour. Many admit to harsh criticism from family and friends and boyfriends calling them dirty or nasty. One lady was fired from her job as it was interferring with the customers, she worked in a day spa, she just opened her very own spa and she will be giving her testimony about these probiotic pills.  

I hope my English is easily readable or legible for you all as my first language is French, I worked hard to get the right grammatical sentences to appease you all of these vaginal problems...remember I tried, tested and it is true.

Take Care!
My sister has had vaginal dryness for the last couple of years.  She is 48 years old and her last period was about 3 years ago.  She told me that she and her husband had sex the other night (for which they must lubricate or she is in excrutiating pain).  She shared with me that all of a sudden she felt a very wet feeling followed by a very nasty odor.  Her gynecologist has prescribed a estrogen gel for the issue with the dryness.  What could the wet odorious discharge have been?
Wow, what you have described sound definitely like one for the professionals, I'd wager!! Just my lay-person's guess regarding your sister would be that something gave way, or ruptured, as in a Bartholin's gland cyst, or something else. When I hear words like "excruciating pain", though, I always suggest seeking real medical advice, not chats, boards, or forums!!!

Don't hear me wrong; I am not chastising you, but no one should have to deal with unexplained severe pain (although, unfortunately, many of us DO!) without at least trying to find the underlying cause. If it happened to me, I wouldn't want to trust the internet to resolve, nor even explain something out of the ordinary like this. So my guess is the dryness may've led to friction, which led to irritation / inflammation, which can result in infection. Encapsulated infections can fester and rupture (think boils, or deep absesses). Foul smells almost always belie infections of some order. I hope she's ok!
A few things I have discovered over the years...

Douching is bad for your vagina. Don't do it.
Don't use scented/perfumed soaps/etc. Bad for you.
Keeping your vaginal 'flora' healthy and balanced is essential.

One thing that women seem to be missing in this thread and another one I read is that of hormones. Hormones change not only throughout a lifetime, and during a month, but also change during sexual activity.

My vaginal odor changes greatly when pregnant, as well as during different times of my cycle. Around 4 or 5 months ago, I started having a very strong and distinct garlic odor. It's also the same time my hormones completely shifted and started playing havoc with my cycle.

I'm clean, free from BV/candida/std's and etc. I have good hygiene and eat a relatively balanced diet. I drink water and don't have multiple sex partners.

Every woman is different, and has different smells. As ridiculous as this sounds, if the smell is embarrassing or bothersome, try finding an essential oil perfume to wear (not on your vagina, but on your body) that will somehow blend and complement your odor so that it doesn't appear so distinct. i.e.: don't go for flowers if you smell like garlic. Try something with a woodsy-musky or patchouli smell.

I hate patchouli, but I'm heading that direction to stop feeling self conscious. :) best wishes everyone!
HI ladies,
  PLEASE READ ALL AND TRY THIS :
   My name is confidential but you can call me Zee:). I have been working on a few test for myself because the doctors are not doing their job. Obviously I can tell something is up with my vagina. The horrible smell comes from it, and I thought it was me passing gas but it was the nasty smell of my  vagina. SO what did I do?

1.) I bought :
*Organic Tea Tree oil & Coconut oil.
*Apple Cider Vinegar, (helps PH balance)
*Fresh Lemons, ( supports PH balance)
*Garlic odorless pills,
*Goldenseal Root, ( used to fight infections & strange vaginal discharge!)
*Damiana / **** Quai. ( oooh girls let me tell this is good for us!)
*Cranberry juice ( drink 8 oz at least everyday, taste good! its for your UTI's)
* 4 Water bottles
      ( They don't cost too much, But mainly focus on tea tree oil & the Vinegar & Lemons)

2.) Then I bought:
      * Equates Feminine wipes (gets that vagina smelling goood until shower time, trust & believe),
      * And any type of Tampons.

3.) I placed one tampon in a 1 cup of water mixed w/ 1&1/2 tsp of vinegar.
(I'd advise you to invest in a cheap  measuring cup!) wait about 10 minutes. Then insert into vaginal area for 1 hr. yep! 1 whole hr.

4.) After the hr is finished, take out the tampon out, then take a "FRESH LEMON" and cut it in half. Listen to me now. Put the other half back in the fridge and cut the other in four pieces. Then put 1 in each of the four water bottles filled with water and shake the bottles so you can see bubbles. Sometimes you can put 1/2 tsp of baking soda in only one of the bottles too.

5.) Get in the shower and as you normally do take a shower. Towards the end of your shower take each of the water bottles and squeeze the lemon water into your vagina, not around it, into it. it doesn't hurt or cause pain because only the top is big enough to fit in your vagina.

6.) After all water bottles are finished so are you !:D
Also for extra care: take a shitz bath, which is a tub full of water and 1 or 2 cups Apple Cider Vinegar depending on your own sensitivity. I can handle 2. But for you obviously I don't know. Also take the vitamins I suggested, you'll be very surprised how they work too!

~But please try this! it works, it does fully get rid of it right away but I've been doing some test for about two months and this experiment I've been doing a week has proven to work tremendously well. Its helped me feel more confident and not so self conscious. Thank God he gave me the brains to research and be obsessed over the issue. I do it because I care and I know what you go through. Crying, the "Why me's?" , the embarrassment, the shame. Just give it a shot for 1 week. that is all I ask. 1 week. everyday do that and see how you feel.

I love you guys,
                                                                              zee:)

Business_woman1
Sometimes what we eat or drink can cause odors down there. Perfumed soaps and wipes can also cause the imbalance that causes odor. I find Safeguard Soap (white), Cornstarch Baby Powder, and douching with Vinegar to work for me. Also, laundry detergents and fabric softeners can irritate, thus causing an imbalance, thus an odor. Put one leg up on the edge of the tub or toilet, and wash good. Rinse thoroughly. Make sure you are dry down there before dressing. Good luck.
I am 34 years old mother whom had a tubal ligation 12 years ago, so I am not taking any contraceptives or prescription medication for anything, just basic OTC daily vitamins and I do not douche as a recommendation from my GYN. I am very sexually active with the same man for the past 2 years. I am not shy to say that my sex drive is extremely high, therefore we have intercourse every single day and sometimes multiple times a day, but we always cleanse afterward.

I just noticed a cheese like smell two days ago during intercourse. I have no symptoms, I feel fine and have always had a clean bill of health from my GYN. I have never had any sort of vaginal issue so I guess I am ignorant to the most common of common possible infections.

The odor only occurs upon intercourse and I am not sure if the odor is coming from me or my partner. I have gone as far that after intercourse I have wiped myself to see if the smell is coming from my vagina, but it just smells like natural sex. So I question where is the cheese like smell coming from? Can anyone provide me with an suggestions???
I'd make an appointment with your doctor.  I suspect you have bacterial vaginosis.  This is treated with medication that is prescribed.  good luck
Hi there...I understand as I to have HPV (gental warts). I was married to my hubby when I contracted it (I believe) but he has no signs of it. There is no test for men to see if they are carrier's of HPV. And for woman only way to know is warts or vaginal changes like cervix. This diease is so common now the CDC says its as common as the common cold now. I have felt with this as I could never be happy with anyone ever! Today after 11 years of hating myself for it, I've started to accept its so common and there's no reason to beat yourself up if you get infected. Word of advise a condom is not 100% gaurenteed to protect you from the virus either. As it is a gental skin to gental skin transfer. They can even get on your inner thighs, anus, vagina, scrotum and shaft. That is why government is pushing the HPV vaccine for are young people now! I also read that this can be contracted up to six years prior to showing symptoms so no gaurentee whom you may get it from. There are lots of different strands I believe last count was over 50, so just because you may have one type of HPV std you don't want to sleep around with others infected they may have a different strand then you and it is also possible to contract numerous strands. Trust me you are by no means fighting this daily battle alone! I am 35 years old myself! Just fyi you can still have children just not safely threw vaginal delivery as passing threw could cause the baby to contract it but a c-section solves that delimia! Life's not over its just a hurdle you must learn to conquer! Good way to feel better is the wart strand does not cause cervical cancers! So take itas a blessing and lessons to be more delayed before intimate with a new partner qand thankful you won't have to fight cancer like some that contract the non-wart HPV. Please Google center for diease (CDC) that is where you'll find information and any updates about this virus. FYI it never leaves your body even if the warts go away (which CDC claims in healthy adults usually takes two years or less) any new findings will be on that website I check it every few months myself as I have terrible health issues and I believe that's why my body has been unable to stop the warts from speeding or keeping the virus dormant in my system. God bless and virtual hugs trust me I so understand!!!!