Vaginal Odour

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal Odour

I'm having a problem with vaginal odour and am looking for a way to get rid of it. For approximately the last 6 months I've noticed that had a b.o. (body odoour) smell coming from my vagina. Actually the smell is generally strongest from my underwear, but if I change them then the smell is back in a short time period. I don't smell right after showering, but when I start to smell usually depends on what I'm doing during the day. I've never had this problem before and don't smell anywhere else. I shower at least once a day (more if I smell down there) and change my underwear frequently. There's no discharge, however my underwear is damp enough to be considered wet. I've tried shaving all hair so that there's nothing for the smell to attach to, and I also wash very thoroughly with soap. This all sounds so disgusting I know, but I just want it to go away! Any help is greatly appreciated!
It could be possibly from a sexual transmitted disease, if you have a watery discharge (maybe the reason your underwear is damp) could mean genital herpes, often herpes is not visable in women and only the change is discharge is noticed.  Atrophic vaginitis also has a watery discharge but usally occurs in women who are post-menopausal or have had their ovaries removed.
Or it could be Bacterial vaginosis which has a strong odor but usually has white or grey watery discharge.  Best thing is to go to the OB/GYN.
Check this site out:

http://catalog.nucleusinc.com/displaymonograph.php?MID=170
ok thanks! so I actually had a PAP last week but was a little embarrassed to ask the doctor face to face (cause it just seems really gross). Are any of these things something that would show up  in the testing? Or is this something I should go back and get specialized tests for?

Thank you.
I would think they would show up in the Pap but if everything comes back normal you may want to go in and talk to the doctor just in case.
thank you very much!
A pap only test for cancer... sometimes they can see yeast.. but aside from that no.  You need to get a culture to test for STD's.  you need to go back to the Dr.  Dont be embarassed Drs have seen everything!! good luck

I agree with lisapep.  Don't be embarrassed one iota.  Doctors have seen it all, heard it all.  It's good that you're aware of your body and any variations in vaginal smell.  You should definitely bring it to their attention.

Good luck!
Also don't forget--everyone has a certain amount of bacteria living in their body all the time.  If you are excessively bathing "down there" then you could potentially be getting rid of necessary bacteria, which allow other bacteria to grow.  I know this from experience.  My OB told me this when I had BV.  Usually, excessive odor is a sign of infection, either yeast, or bacterial, and no, a pap won't check for any of these.  They have to culture specifically for other organisms.
ok..so one last question...obviously I would want to have protected sex. But what about oral sex. Would it be safe for someone to perform oral sex on me? (I'm going with the fact that this is an infection and not an sti since I haven't had sex in a long time and this is recent)
So........ why would you want someone to perform oral sex on you if you have a smelly cooch?  :-)  

I'm just joking, but seriously, go to the doctor and see what they tell you.
that's the thing...it doesn't always smell...(i knew someone would ask that though, i should of made myself more clear, hahaha) But yeah, like it hasn't been smelly for a few days now...so obviously if I smelled I would avoid all contact, but if there's nothing smelling and I'm all clean then I would hope it would be ok!
OH AND....I called the doctor's office where I had my pap done to ask what they test for and they said any of the things mentioned to me would be tested for.
Hahaha...glad you laughed about that ;-)

Yeah, they probably did.  I remember one time I went to the gyn for a pap and was soooooooo surprised when I got a hefty bill from the lab because they did all kinds of cultures.  I thought I was only getting a pap done.  

Anyway, sounds like you don't have anything to worry about.  Sometimes our normal vaginal flora gets unbalanced and we can get minor infections, like BV, and they can clear spontaneously.

Good luck!!
Sounds to me as though it is Bacterial Vaginosis...I had this when I was pregnant and my doctor waited until I had the baby!!  I told her that I had a bad odor and she looked and she gave me a prescription and it took just a week for it to clear up!!  Remember that your not the first one to have these problems..and I am sure that the doctor has seen and heard so much worse.  Don't be afraid to ask your doctor....sometimes it's worth the embarressment!!
I've been having some vagina smell problems.  It's not the usual smell.  I recently treated myself twice with over the counter meds for Yeast infection, then once with antibiotics from the doctor.  I have the wettness (which is not unusual for me), not discharge everyday but the smell is horrible.  I smell it through my clothes.  I recently took additional antibiotics for having the flu so I thought that might be related since it's been three days since I finished the percription and the smell seems to be subsiding.  I'm due back to the doctor this week so I'll definitely inquire.
Hey lately Ive been having this clear discharge that has a odor. Im not sure whats going. I dont have a rash or anything but as more discharge comes out I begin to itch. I shower everyday about 2 to 3 times a day. So can someone tell me whats going on
this isnt a comment but a question...i have the same problem with really bad smells in my vaginal area.  i smell it sometimes when i am jst sittin, and my boyfriend its so bad he wont go down on me anymore.  I dont kno wht it is or wht i can do to stop it. i shower and wash down there daily but it doesnt seem to help. I dont think its an infection of any sort cause ther is no itching or buring. if there is any one that can help me please let me know. thanks
hey girls.
regarding the vaginal smell i had tht a while back and the dr did say it was bacterial vagismosis and i wanted to tell yall that it could come from what yall eat in my case if i have strawberries which i love it causes that strong odor in face when i eat strawberries my husband goes after i eat about 6 thats enough it isnt embarrassing now to us we are more comfortable because we know now what caused it so look at your diets and see if yall have strawberries or something similar.
i have the same thing going on.. but i was wondering about something. im new to this. i mean ive had one obgyn visit EVER. bc i needed birth control. what do they have to do to check you for that stuff? and the symptoms i have could be a lot of different things.. i even saw somewhere it could be a symptom of HIV. should i get tested for everything? and what do they do to "test" you for that stuff? pleaseee comment me back. worried :-\
Usually it is a simple blood test and they also do some lab tests from the specimen they get from your vagina when they do the pap.  Trust me, you will feel better once you go and get the results back.  I recommend an annual(every year, that's why they call it an annual;)) exam after 18, especially if you are sexually active.  You can have them test you for everything right there and then.  I am really surprised at how many women don't get their annuals done!!  Good luck!
I'VE HAD THIS TERRILE SMELLING VAGINAL DISCHARGE FOR A WHILE NOW. IT SMELLS LIKE AMMONIA OR DEAD RAT AT TIMES. I'VE BEEN TO MY OBGYN AND THE PAP AND CULTURE TEST CAME BACK NEGATIVE. WHAT CAN BE WRONG. I TAKE A BATH TWICE A DAY. IT'S VERY DEPRESSING. I'M MARRIED AND I FIND MYSELF AVOIDING SEX BECAUSE I'M AFRAID HE WILL SAY SOMETHING ABOUT THE SMELL.
Ive had the damp undies and the oder for a while now.. the past year and now i havent had my period in months... ive been with the same partner for 4 years now and him with me.. is it possible someone whos used our home bathroom could have passed something to me.. std wise? My fiance doesnt mind the smell cause most of the time its very sweet  and not sour at all but sometimes it does smell like ammonia...my doctor said that im not ovulating because of the lack of periods and im not on birth control so everythingis backing up on me.. could that be my smell.. im sick of changing my undies 3 times a day and like some of you i smell it thru my pants and im sooo scared people will notice.. do any of you pee a little when you sneeze or cough or even stand up?
hi!!

ok i'm only 17,still a virgin but i too am having weird odours an sometimes damp undies an the odd time i get abit itchy i am getting very impatient over it lik i do have a boyfriend but won't even mess around with him anymore incase he will smell it like i shower nearly 3times a day over it i dunno wat to do please help cos i haven't a clue wat it could be an am too embarrassed to go to the doctors or anything like tat this is my only option
I 2 have had the wet undies and the ammonia smell.  I went 2 the dr and got tested for all std's but all came back negative.  my pap was also normal.  I don't know what's going on with my  body but I'm getting really scared because I don't think this is usual.  It's really freaky always wondering if you are smelling and if someone is smelling you.  If you go to the dr and they find out something please post it.
you could have a bad case of thrush?you can get that canstan duo stuff from the chemist,but just expain it to whoevers helping you first cause they might tell you it's something else,you should be embarrassed to tell the doctor,they've seen MUCH stranger stuff than you'd think but it does usually feel a little awkward i know
sorry,i meant shouldN'T be embarrassed :)
I'm surprised nobody has said this yet... but it can just be sweat... yes...we do sweat.  Just like you get BO from your arm pits when they sweat without deodorant...

This especially if you're overweight... I am kinda chunky and I too get very wet underwear...but its not a discharge... its sweat.  And of course... sweat doesn't smell too good.  It goes away with a change of undies and a shower but of course it comes back...

The ammonia smell is probably pee leaking.  Sweat and pee... not a nice combo.  

And just in case anybody asks I have no STDs, no bacterial infections, a normal pap and no yeast infection.  

Its just plain sweat...
Ok yall.....I've had the same promblem with the B.O. smell! I HATE it! It's so embarrassing! I've come to the point where i dont know how to make it go away! I change my panties when i smell, i shower EVERYDAY and wash really good. I have had this promblem ever since i was 13! I have never been to the OBGYN. I know it is just sweat but i dont understand why it's a B.O. smell down there! I really thought i was the ONLY one with this problem! I told my mom and sisters about it and they had never heard of it either. I havent told anybody else besides my mom and sisters because it is SO embarrassing! I wonder if there is any kind of meds i can take for it? I just wish it would go away! And it's jus when i'm active in sports or outside, or doin anythin where i get hot. Sometimes i'll jus get the smell jus because it's hot outside and i'm outside! I know it sounds like im a nasty person but i'm not! I'm one of the cleanest people u'll ever meet!!! I jus dont know what to do anymore!!!! PLEASE HELP ANYBODY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
You know if there are that many of us with that going on... maybe this is just normal and we should get used to the fact that people aren't supposed to smell like flowers or spices or food.  I'm all for proper hygiene, don't get me wrong, but eliminating all odor, like eliminating all body hair, seems more a function of cultural bias against what's "nice" and what's not, and the assumptions that go with that - i.e. if you're too hairy, you're not feminine, and if you smell down there you must be dirty or sleeping with too many men.  We're all trying to live up to an ideal that's not necessarily realistic.  That said, I definitely will say no to oral sex unless it's just after a shower, otherwise I just feel too paranoid that my guy might get grossed out!  But how are the men supposed to become comfortable with womens bodies if we don't get comfortable first?
Im now experiencin the same thing, but im really comfortable and open with my boyfriend and vice versa so i asked him about it, and he said, i smell normal to him, and he still goes down on me and loves it. I dont know, maybe we exaggerate the smell because we are not used to it. But i still want it to go away.
I have similar issues, but sporadically, which is weird. When it happens, I usually know it is sweat by the smell and because of the time wetness.Some tips I use when the odor occurs:

I trim my hair and (this may sound strange, but it's the truth) before I put on a fresh pair of undies I take my deodorant (solid ONLY) and apply it to the outside of my panties. I only use solid on the outside of my panties because I don't want it to actually touch my vaginal area.

If I have odor that s not from sweat, I just use a ****** by Summer's Eve. Another great product by summer's eve are the moist towellete's. They are made for the vaginal area and since they are individually wrapped, I carry them in my purse and can use them whenever I am out and need one.

Hope this helps!
typo above:

I know it is sweat because of the TYPE of wetness.

Also the word that was blocked out in the last paragraph was dou che. Strange that that was censored lol
Hey,

So..I'm 17, and I've never had sex. But...I've been noticing a weird smell "down there" lately, but I don't know what it is. It's even hard to describe...I'm not sure if it's from my vagina, or from my urine. But even after I bathe, the smell doesn't go away. Sometimes I can smell it through my clothes, and it's embarrassing. I've been sick lately...and taking cough syrup and stuff, could that cause it ? I don't know what to do...does anyone have any idea what this might be ? I'm too embarrassed to go to the doctor....

Thank you.
I am having the same problem for the last two months. It is NOT just a sweat odour! It is more like something crawled up inside me and died! I can smell it during the day, fully clothed and am sure if someone gets close enough they will too. Has anyone just tried a yeast infection treatment?
one more thing
One more thing. A way to see if it is internal odour or just sweat, try wearing a tampon for the day. I did that today and there is no odour I can detect. I'm sure that when I take it out it will be back. I think the vaginosis sounds most likely.
For those that think it is sweat related - try using a regular glide on deoderant 'down there' and let it dry before getting dressed.  It really does help.

And deoderant panty liners help too!
i am having the same problem the odour started after i first got my period a few years ago and has persisted. it smells very strong and i can smell it through my clothes and im positive others can also. I've been to several different doctors concerning the issue but each time the tests come back negative and i am made to feel like there is nothing wrong even though there is because the strong smell persists! i shower daily, dont use too much soap, wear cotton underwear, am not sexually active, use panty liners and a feminie deoderant spray but nothing works, should i make another visit to the doctors? this isnt normal and im positive that its not just sweat. this really affects my confidence and its terrible that i can smell it through my clothes!! it feels like there is nothing that i can do!
I once worked with a young lady who was pregnant and had the same dead rat smell odor for at least the first 5months of her pregnancy. Ladies! Have you all been tested for a urinary tract infection ? This is what she had, a bad one. For those who feel really uncomfortable with yur OB/Gyn, try the over the counter Urinary tract test sold at your nearest pharmacy first and then act on your results.  There is even a new product which detects vaginal diseases, ask your pharmacist. Good luck to you all!
From reading all of these post...the dead rat smell definitely sounds like bacteria vaginosis or BV.  The classic symptom is a horrible smell.  You have to go to the OBGYN and get tested for BV...the main way of treating BV is a prescription antifungal gel or pill.  I know when I get BV because the smell is soo bad.  Now the ammonia smell is a different story...I can't figure that one out. Could still be BV.  Also there is no for sure cause for BV.  It can happen to any woman because our ph balance in the vajayjay can get off balance from a lot of different things including food.  Did you know that eating too many sweets can negatively affect your vajayjay?
The only thing that i would suggest is to go see a doctor ASAP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Its sounds like a vaginal bacteria infection!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
i've been having a similar problem too for a while. looking to go to the docs, but i'm quite tied down recently as my exams are round the corner. i'll probably have to wait till after.

one thing is, my periods have never been regular. i'm not sure if it has any effect on this, but yeah.

I used to have normal thick, whitish vaginal discharge, no smells, nothing. quite manageable. but for the past few months or so it's gotten so bad i have to resort to pantiliners.

nowadays, i basically get very watery stuff. in the beginning (after i've just showered and changed and everything) it is watery and clear or slightly yellowish. but as the day progresses, there will be more of it and the colour starts to turn darker. eventually i will get this reddish-brownish stuff on my pantiliner, of which i'm not sure if it's simply caused by a lot of discharge... or is it blood? because it does look a little like the kind of discharge i get towards the end of my period (the kind that tends to be tinged with some traces of blood but isn't really like heavy menstrual flow, if you get what i mean).

if i'm not wrong, i've had a similar experience like maybe a few years back, but it only lasted for a while and went away. this time it seems to have been a long time and it doesn't seem to be clearing up. my vaginal area isn't itching or anything, but it sure does smell (sort of like a fishy/ammonia smell). i'm really starting to get worried...
I to have  this smell for over 3 years I have went to the doctor I have taken the pills I have put the creams,gels etc....I have found this product called repfresh from walmart you use it every 3 days and it seems to do something but my god do i have to do this the rest of my life!! I go to the doctor this month and I am going to ask him again......
Hi everyone - I too have had a similar problem, and just saw my Doctor for a Pap and asked her about it.  She said that about 4 times a year she gets such a complaint from a woman, and finds a "lost" tampon in her during her exam!!  I know...gross, but she was quite serious.  That was not the cause in my case (still waiting for lab results), but worth checking out on yourself.  

And please, try to be OK with asking your Doctor about your body - they really, really have seen WAY WAY WAY worse than what you could ever imagine.
I am glad that I am not the only one that feels this way. I got the ammonia smell about 4 years ago and it comes and goes, my doctor first said it was Trich without doing any tests, then I went to another doctor and she said it was Bacterial Vaginois. She gave me some antibotics for it and it cleared up...but then it came right back. It finally went away for about two years and then I had an IUD put in and it came right back....then I got the IUD remove and the smell went away....now I am back to the IUD and the smell has returned. So I dont know what is wrong with me, I like the IUD but i cant keep this smell and I dont understand why I had it the first time....
ever since i could remembre ive had a real bad fish odour comin from my vagina, when i say bad i really mean it, this fish odour smells so bad ive been a social outcast for the majority of my highschool years,many guys believe i am desirable but when they come near me they smell the odour and back away, i am soo embarrased and i hate that i have this problem i feel like im the only person goin through this none of my friends have such problems not only do i have the fish odour but i also have alot of watery with white discharge(it almost looks like oatmeal) on top of the fish odour everysingle day, i could b walking down the street and my underwear would be soken wet(i do not have any itchyness or redness) I cant help but cry everytime i come out of the shower because i smell it a few mins later, i shower twice a day and change my panties everyday but nothing helps the odour juss get stronger, ive used everything and nothing works, Ive used cleansing towels, ive used vinegar, baby powder, i cross my legs so tight, and it still comes trough i am so certain this isnt a desease because i am not sexualy active(still a virgin) i am so desperate this problem has ruined my life, im 18 now and do not have the confidence to even sit next to someone

I am begging does anyone have anything to recoment me, i dont wanna live the rest of my life hiding
I had a similar problem when I was in Middle school... I believe that was when it started....
Anyways, it eventually went away. Every woman's body is different, and since you are just getting out of the puberty stage, strange things are not uncommon. If you have not been to the OBGYN, then you need to go and make sure everything is good.
Sometimes, even though you smell it... not everyone else does.
Bathing everyday is ok, but using so many products can kill good bacteria that the vagina has to have... thats why some women get yeast infections AFTER taking an antibiotic :)
Use unscented pads, or pantie liners... even if you are not on your period (scented ones can cause problems in some people). This will absorb the wetness and possibly the odor, and keep it away from your body... and help you feel a little more comfortable.
Be assured, you are not alone honey :) Let me know if you find anything else out.
A few posts above mine, it was mentioned that some of the culprit for wetness is sweat.... That is soo true!
This is what my mom told me to do about it...
After showering put on some mild baby powder in that area... not in the vaginal folds themselves... that will burn lol.
Put some on the undies as well. Also wear a thin pad... unscented! Sometimes the scents they put in em can cause reactions, not always rashes.
Odors are natural... some are stronger than others, the same as with peoples BO.... some people just smell stronger than others.
If you go to the OBGYN and had all the tests, culturs, and pap done.... and you are clear..... get a second opinion, and if thats all clear.... then everything is fine.
Do not be afraid to ask questions or be specific!! They can't help you if you don't ask!! They are trained professionals, and they will not judge or make fun of you. My sister is an OBGYN, and the women she works with are wonderful people... they are there for you to help you.

Hope this helps raise some spirits! -hugs-
Hi everyone, i have 2 questions.
im 16 years old and have had 2 sexual partners. recently
i went to the doctor's office because i was told my most recent partner
had chlamydia. i got a pap smear, and mind you i was just finishing my period, it had been 2 or 3 days after my period finished. the doctor perscribed me antibiotics for a bladder infection, and i had a Pap smear
done and an std check at the same time, she took 2 seperate swabs. 1 for each. the results came back clear, no stds, nothing wrong except a bladder infection. a few days after the pap smear i noticed a strong smell coming from my vaginal area while i was wearing shorts sitting on the couch. i went to the bathroom to check out if there was any discharge. there was a slight clearish-whitish discharge, but also just a wetness in my panties with no color. im wondering if there is anything
that wouldnt show up on the pap smear, or if its from having the "dinosawr claw" as i call it stuck so far up & inside me? another thing im wondering that could be a possibility is, i didnt bother taking the antibiotics that the doctor perscribed for the bladder infection, i figured it would clear up on its own, and it has, atleast it doesnt hurt to pee anymore and i dont have any of the other symptoms of the bladder infection. should i still take the antibiotics?
my second question is, when i got my pap done, it was extremely painful, almost unbearable, to the point where i was almost screaming
and crying in pain. afterwards ive noticed tampons slide a little bit easier.
did the pap smear loosen or rip the vaginal skin? and if so, is there
any way i can get it to its original state, or make it tighter without surgery?
I have to say this because as I just read all the posts I completely understood what each person was talking about.
For the past say 3 days I have had an obscene, foul odor coming from my vagina. I noticed I was always wet in my underwear and changed them many times a day. The smell would come through my pants and I was feeling extremely embarrassed. As i read the posts I began to think i had BV because that seemed to be the most common and similar to what I have been experiencing. Until I came to one posting that said that one woman's doctor found 4 "lost" tampons each year.

Well I know it is gross but I ran to the washroom and discovered I had left one inside for the past few days. It had gotten lost so far back but without a doubt that is where the odor came from.

It may not be everyones reason but it was mine and it could help another female out there.
wow girl, that *****.
  i got divorced about a year and a half ago and just had sex with my bf of 4 months. i have the birth control i u d mirena by the way.
well the condom broke and now i have had an ammonia type smell coming from my vagina. no unusual discharge really tho. also i bled the day after intercourse. i have also had cramping..this has been goin on for the past 3 weeks.........any suggestions??
I have smelly, white vaginal discharge, and I will bleed for like 30 minutes some days out of the week. I DO NOT itch, and it doesn't burn when I pee. What can be wrong with me?
has anyone tried taking live bacteria pills? you know how they say eating yogust is good for vaginas because of the live bacteria in it? This is similar but in a more concentrated form. I batttle with a lot of bacterial and yeast infections and these pills help me a lot. You can find these probiotic pills at most grocery stores, though more commonly at health food stores. they won't say that they are for vaginal bacteria, instead they usually say something about digestive health. Look for ingedients like Acidophilus, Bifidum, and rhamnosus. often they are in a cooler and must be kept refridgerated.
hey everybody..
i have a problem with my bad odor discharge coming from my vagina.it is like a fishy like smell.and one thing more.i have dis warts in my vagina;(somebody help me PLEASE..i hate it..I am so embarrassed 2 go 2 see a doctor..and im afraid. PLEASE HELP ME.;(
I am having the same problem, smelly fishy odour down there but no discharge. I do sweat sometimes when I sleep but I shower everyday and Im very obsesive when I clean in the shower. I have an annual coming up in a month and I plan to get tested for everything. I am sexually active with my man of 1 year and were both "clean" down there, no history of std's or anything like that. I know this is very discriptive but when we shower together he slides in on me and I see white stuff on him, but after we do that I smell fine, its almost like hes cleaning my insides or something, then when we are intimate right after I smell again. He says that it could be the smell of his *** (Im on the pill so we dont use condoms). Again Im sorry for being so discriptive however I am also concerned cause its SO embarrassing, I think Im really lucky to have my guy cause I can actually talk to him about this. If anyone knows the answer to this PLEASE get back to me. Also NOONE should be embarrased to ask their DR cuz its true...they have seen it ALL.
I'm a nutritional consultant who has recently had this EXACT same problem.  For one week, try these suggestions (that have worked for me):

1)  Eat fruit for breakfast, nothing else.  
2)  Drink more water.  Avoid coffee, alcohol and soda.
3)  Shower daily and try using natural or organic soaps.  Do not   douche.
4)  Avoid all "fast foods".
5)  Cut back on sweets.  Eliminating them all together is the best choice.
6)  Get plenty of sleep.
7)  Do not wear underwear to bed.  Try wearing loose boxers or shorts to let your vagina "breathe".
8)  Avoid sex (if you can).
9)  Exercise!!!  
10)  Think positively and don't freak yourself out too much.  Go to the doctor and get a pap smear or get tested for STDs if the smell persists.  

Good luck, ladies!  :-)
2 Solutions
Ask your doc for a chemical imbalance test - this worked for me after he gave me antibiotics
Bacterial vaginosa - antibiotics will take care of this also.
Go FOR IT - if you have no chance of STDs then this will be your saviour!
Bubbles76
One more thing...let me know if this works for your 'bad odor vagina'...I would like to know if I helped a fellow woman out! Thanks!
I have read all the comments and several women have mentioned a SERIOUSLY bad odor like something dead.....this happened to me once, it was several days that I was noticing it and it was TRULY horrible.  Turns out, I had left a tampon in.  I'd forgotten it.  

Yeah, I know, that's gross, but the good news is, it's easy to check (yep, stick your fingers up there!) and once you get it out, the smell is gone within a couple hours.

There are lots of reasons for a smell "down there", but a truly horrible "dead rat" odor could be a forgotten tampon.
I have had the same problem with the ammonia smell. I have been with the same guy for almost 5 years. I have been to the doctor had a std test done which was negative, had an HIV test which was also negative and they also ruled out that i did not have a yeast infection.. It is horrible the smell never really goes away i take showers, i wash up at least 2 3 times a day, i smell them through my clothes.. I never had this smell until this last past year.. I have had it twice one was 6 months ago and it went away than it came back... My underwear does get wet i sometimes have a clear discharge i just cant get over the foul smell.. I have watched my diet drank plenty of water and plenty of exercise.. Does anyone know what this could be???
I had the same ammonia smell and my Dr. told me it was caused by vaginal PH imbalance. You can treat it with Rephresh gel from any drugstore or Wal-Mart. You can also naturally maintain healthy vaginal ph by eating yogurt containing lactobilli and live cultures a couple times a week. Vaginal ph imbalance is caused by soap, douche, and tampons. You do not have to douche because your body cleans itself after your period and douche will make it worse because you're washing away good bacteria and allowing bad bacteria to flourish. Also do not wash vagina with antibacterial soap or soaps containing vitamins because they also kill good bacteria and cause imbalance.
I had the same ammonia smell and my Dr. told me it was caused by vaginal PH imbalance. You can treat it with Rephresh gel from any drugstore or Wal-Mart. You can also naturally maintain healthy vaginal ph by eating yogurt containing lactobilli and live cultures a couple times a week. Vaginal ph imbalance is caused by soap, douche, and tampons. You do not have to douche because your body cleans itself after your period and douche will make it worse because you're washing away good bacteria and allowing bad bacteria to flourish. Also do not wash vagina with antibacterial soap or soaps containing vitamins because they also kill good bacteria and cause inbalance.
I also have a problem with the ammonia smell... is it possible that any of you are leaking urine??? I have been wondering if this is what's going on with me...
I'm a seventeen year old girl I'm having sex but I b
Use protection but recently while having sex with my boyfriend brown stuff came on the condom I ws really scared whts does this mean? But like right after I came on my period.
Hi Ladies, I just thought I would add my two cents worth. I am a holistic practitioner and have dealt with these issues. BV is most definitely a possibility. Reason being that yes, if your vaginal flora is out of balance then the bad bacteria, which is opportunistic, can flourish. One of the best ways to treat this benign but annoying condition is to use suppositories made with herbal extracts such as goldenseal and calendula. One a night for a week. Follow up with others made with probiotics (good bacteria) These can be found at some compounding pharmacies and/or health food stores (Boiron, a homeopathic company makes some as well as Genestra) Typically, you insert one before going to bed. You may want to put a pantyliner on or wear your 'period panties' to bed, ONLY because it will dissolve and seep a bit. Otherwise avoid wearing panties to bed of course. It is normal to have a slight sour milk smell when using these, but that is due to the nature of the good flora, it's harmless and washes away. This protocol will be about 2 weeks. It should do the trick. If you can not find these products then you can use oral probiotic capsules (just make sure you don't get the enteric coated ones). These are a bit tricky to get in because they are smaller than suppositories and you need to get them up as high as comfortable. You need to avoid intercourse while doing this protocol so as to avoid friction in the vaginal canal. And do keep in mind some of the great advice mentioned above, such as -clean diet, cotton panties, reduced sugar/starch in diet (this includes alcohol!) -taking probiotics orally (yoghurt isn't quite enough because a lot of the good bacteria dies off in the stomach acids before it gets to the area it needs to) and try to avoid antibiotics as these will wipe out ALL bacteria and leave you open to a new infection shortly after. Also, try natural feminine products because the additives in regular brands can cause A LOT  of problems. You can find organic cotton pads and tampons at health food stores or Whole Foods, or try re-usable fabric products from various independent companies (like Wemoon). I also would HIGHLY recommend a product like The Keeper or The Diva Cup (Google them!). These are washable, re useable rubber and silicone cups inserted like a tampon. They last for years (don't freak out! they are supposed to), you just wash them after your cycle and store them. I sprinkle a bit of baking soda on mine before I put it away. Personally, I've been using mine for 12 years! I'll never subject my body to disposables again! (sorry I digressed) The advantage is that blood and bacteria is not held in a toxic little sponge (ie;tampon) sitting in your vaginal canal. They are a much healthier choice.
I hope this helps!
Healthy blessings,
Greenwitch
TRY THIS:

Use Acidophilus : Not only should you swallow a pill every morning, but they can also be inserted into your vagina. (normally before bedtime used for about 5 days)

Try a water d o u c h e mixed with hyrdogen peroxide 50/50 once a week.

Another good natural product is femmisil. You can buy it on ebay or online for 24 dollars.

Do not wash your vagina with soap. Only water. A detachable shower head works good to completely wash your self off.

A hair dryer nearby once you get outta the shower is a good idea too. Turn it on a cool setting and dry yourself off with that.

unscented pantiliners changed throughout the day work good too.

I'm not a doctor, I'm just letting you know that these ARE things that will work for BV or vaginal odor.
I've been having a smelly vaginal discharge for about 4 or 5 days now. Also, i haven't been on my period in like 2 months, but my period as always been irregular. Anyway, sometimes after i shower the smell is still there. I am not sexually active though. I am still a virgin. So what could this be???????????????? Please help me!!!!!!
I recently lost a good amount of weight, particularly weight between my thighs and it makes a big difference in how I smell down there. You mentioned wet panties but no discharge... Well, it could be that ur vagina isn't getting enough air and gets a little funky. That was a problem for me - but don't notice that smell anymore, now that i have lost some weight in that surrounding areas!  Hope that might help.  
I recently found a few articles on the Ammonia smell...obviously i'm looking to get rid of that myself...one article really stood out...(http://www.beginnertriathlete.com/cms/article-detail.asp?articleid=326) ....they mention that body builders who take in too much protein and not enough carbs, end up with a nitrogen imbalance, which is converted by the body to amonia (ammonia), which is then flushed from the body in sweat and urine...

this really stood out to me becuase I began noticing my amonia (ammonia)-like smell about the same time I began being 'carb conscious'...so I'm performing an experiment (completely healthy) of re-balancing my protein and carb intake, and definately drinking more water....which by the way is recommeded by every forum i've visited recently...

but I wanted to share in this forum because I think it might help point others in the right direction for this same problem...or at least getting more research for it, and a solution found.
after another 40 minutes research on this, I found another article backing up my previous post.
http://hubpages.com/hub/Ammonia-Body-Odor

Ever since I was a teenager ( I am now 45) I have ALWAYS had a heavy discharge & odour. It has been an embarrassment to me as others can smell it ( my kids when they were younger would often point it out). Any dark coloured panties soon get a patch similiar to a bleach stain on them. The odour usually smells like ammonia and not only is it on me but on my clothing. Over the years I have been tested for everything imaginable but all tests always come back negative. I have always thought i was weird as none of my friends seem to have this problem. Yes I have been overweight for a large part of this time so sweating makes sense but NOT all of this time. I shower at least once per day and do not wear undies to bed.  I use panty liners most days and do have a slight weak bladder these days.  Over the years I have had a couple of insensitive lovers but most do not have a problem with it.  I will avoid oral sex if I have not had a shower prior to it.  Recently due to heavy bleeding & fibroids a hysterectomy had been mentioned.  My first reaction was....awesome..no more discharge!! but unfortunately due to other medical problems this turned out not to be an option.
It has made me feel sooooo much better knowing that there are so many other women in the same position as myself and I am going to try a couple of the suggestions mentioned above.  Thanks to you all for your advice/tips & for your honesty & frankness.
okayyy... so I am going through all of these comments, and it's crazy because I'm expriencing the same things as everyone on here. My difference is, Im 18, and about a year ago I went to get my yearly done and they found abnormal cells on my cervix. So I went through every single test, and all sorts of exams for the last year.  Everytime I went to the doctor I have asked about my odor.  They checked my PH levels and everythings good.  I asked if it was because I had abnormal cells and a very low case of HPV and they said this is nothing to do with it.  I took all my STD tests, and everything.  My odor is pretty much the same as everyone elses, its a wet feeling in my panites, along with this horrible odor that I think every one can smell (I know they can though because people have said out loud, "Whats that smell?")  It's horrible though because I work daily with kids and they can smell it too.  Sometimes it becomes so embarrassing I try not to move, and to keep my legs crossed but it just gets worse.  The only thing that works for a max of 2 days was using a medicated douche.  Now, nothing works, and things are getting worse.  I am due for my yearly and I'm telling them that it's impossible to deal with because I am embarrassed to go to work, or even hang out with certain friends.  I cant even have sex with my partner and we have been together for a couple of months now.  It's horrible and embarrassing, and it seems like there's no cure, or way to fix it!  
Wow, I have the exact problem.  Normal pap tests, no std's, no BV.  It's the foulest smell that gets worse during the day.  I know my colleague at work smells it and he put out a can of body spray.  Embarassing.  I shower and I'm good for maybe an hour.  It doesn't smell bad at first, kind of like sweet bread, but by the end of the day it is a rancid fish and amonia (ammonia) smell.  Also I notice that if I insert my finger into my vagina, it is covered with a sometimes thick white paste but obgyn tests say NO YEAST INFECTION.  One gynecologist said it's hormones, and that some women have more of a discharge than others.  I will not have sex unless I shower for like 2 hours and douche with peroxide.  It helps but if boyfriend wants it in the morning, the discharge is back again!!!  It's a huge pain and no one seems to know what this is exactly.  I think it has something to do with food because it did get a little bit better after I stopped having sugar...but it's still here.
I figured it out in part at least
Sorry I didn't finish writing...
I figured it out in part at least.  Here is my theory based on what happened to me:  The amonia (ammonia) smell is urine.  What I found for me personally is that when I pee, urine doesn't travel always so neatly from the uretha to the toilet.  A little residue stays behind and just absorbing that with a tissue is NOT ENOUGH.  There is still trace urine because the tissue only absorbs and doesn't clean.  I'm thinking that if for example, urine comes in contact with your skin and it is just dried off, there still is urine left behind and so I found that by wiping with water (tissue is NOT ENOUGH), THE SMELL AND DISCHARGE DECREASED CONSIDERABLY.  ...more later as I experiment with what works and what doesn't.  I hope this helps.
everything is natural;just visit Dr. and avoid unsafe sex
I'm so glad I found this posting. I'm 35 and I started getting these smells about 8 years ago. Before then, I never had any smell down there. In fact, when I was in my 20's, one boyfriend told me many times I was the least smelling woman he'd ever known. Now things are a bit different...My smell isn't fishy, it's like some kind of ammonia. Some times it's horrible and some days it's basically gone (unless I put my undies directly to my nose). Some times, I start the day smelling fine, but then suddenly it's horrid and I have to rush to the bathroom.  On the days when it is strong, I put tissues, paper towels or toilet paper into my underwear and then change the paper often.  This method helps, but it's not a cure. Once the smell gets into my underwear, I only have two options. One is to throw the underwear into the trash, which I have done in public bathrooms on several occasions, and then take balls of toilet paper and try to stick them into my vagina until I can get home. The other option is to wrap toilet paper around the crotch of my underwear several times to try to keep the smelly part from being exposed to the air.  If I am in a meeting with clients and I unexpectedly get a waft of stink, I'll cross my legs tightly or take off my sweater and put it in my lap (to block the smell).  Right before my period, it becomes awful. I'll be sitting at my desk or in the car and all of a sudden I'm hit in the face with this particular stench and this smell is a certain sign that in 2-3 days I'll get my period. In order to "plug" up the stench, I start wearing tampons the day the smell starts even though I don't start bleeding for a few days. The tampon-as-plug method works 100%. Unfortunately, when I do get my period, changing my bloody tampons is disgusting because my tampons stink. In order to not stink up the entire bathroom, I lay a new opened plastic bag on the floor in front of the toilet and when I pull the tampon out, I put it in the bag and seal up the bag as fast as I can. Once I pull the tampon out, I only have a few seconds before it overwhelms the bathroom. It's honestly horrible. I change my tampons often, but it's same thing whether the tampon has been in for 2 hours or 6 hours. If I'm in a public bathroom and don't have a plastic bag, I pull the tampon out and flush it down the toilet as fast as I can.  My bloody tampons smell just like an outhouse. It's so gross it makes me gag.  And it's very difficult to get the smell off the fingers I used to pull the tampon out, even with soap and hot water. Aside from wearing a tampon to plug up my smell-hole,  I agree that eating yogurt helps. I mix low-fat plain with low-fat vanilla to cut down on the sugar. The yogurt has not solved my problem, but it has reduced it noticeably. I buy cheap cotton underwear at TJ Maxx and I throw away after wearing it 5-6 times because I don't think that the smell gets killed in the wash. I suspect that when old underwear gets worn, the sweat and heat and dampness "activates" the smell again. Wearing new underwear helps.  I try to buy yellow or tan underwear because my discharge will bleach a spot if the underwear is dark. This beaching effect has always been the case (even 20 years ago), so I don't think it has anything to do with my smell.  In order to cut down on the smell and keep things clean, I've removed my public hair with laser hair removal. My husband is a doctor and while I have never specifically asked him about this problem (I'm just too embarrassed and this is not his specialty), I am convinced it's bacterial and has to do with the change in PH inside the vagina, which is why the yogurt seems to help.  On a related issue (at least I think it's related), while my husband can wear a pair of shoes without socks day after day and his shoes smell nice and fresh, I can't go a single day in a pair of shoes without socks without ruining the shoes.  If I wear shoes without socks, my shoes (and feet!!) will stink so badly that he can smell it from under the kitchen table. Despite having stinky toes, I don't have any underarm odor and I can easily skip a few days of deodorant. I have asked my husband about why my toes stink but my underarms do not and he explained that every body is different and that different parts of our body fight off bacteria better than others. Given his explanation, it seems clear to me that my toes and my vagina do a bad job of fighting off bacteria, but my underarms do a good job.  I'm going to try the hydrogen peroxide wash and putting a pro-biotic pill inside me (yikes!) overnight. I came to the internet looking for cures, but after reading for a while I don't think one exists. I know I don't have anything that can be "fixed" with medication, so hopefully I can minimize the smell and maybe I'll grow out of it. This is not the answer I wanted, but it's a relief to know that others have the same issues and I'm not the only one.
i have had this vaginal smell for the longest time (longest time for me is about a year) i have been with my boyfriend for 2 and 1/2 years and we were each other's "firsts". now before that i noticed i was getting very itchy down there to the point where i could almost not control it. then once i became sexually active, i was still itching. then i started to smell, then my undies were getting damp and i too could smell it through my clothing so (try not to laugh) i stuck a dryer sheet in my pants lol. and it worked!! but i would like a permenant solution so i read online that baking soda is supposed to balance your pH. i have showered twice using baking soda (putting some on a wash cloth with hot water and then rinsing it off with the hot water) and so far its done a pretty damn good job of takin the smell away for about a whole day. so im going to try adding 1 teaspoon (tsp) to a bottle of water (idk how many ounces.. havent googled that yet :)) and they said to leave the water overnight and drink it the next day so it can get absorbed and itll taste better. so i guess i will see how that works!

the reason why i want to find a home remedy is because ive never had a pap and i dont want one lol. plus i dont like taking antibiotics cause im on birth control which can mess that up.. but i also have been showering everyday and sometimes have an ammonia smell (so maybe that part of it is urine??) idk but im smellin up a storm here and i HATE going to work smelling fine then by the end of the day im avoiding people cause i feel they can smell it too (its that strong) and i wipe my undies off when i use the restroom (doesnt help at ALL!) i have actually considered changing my undies at work but idk about that..

OH i wanted to tell you all about the pH levels in (our) bodies (my mom's a nurse and kinda explained it to me so dont quote me lol) but i guess the foods we eat have acidic(?) in them and the good food (fruits and veggies) have the pH which depending on what you eat you may need more pH! which baking soda does (as well as taking away odors) so idk... google it or something cause i may not have done a good job at explaining things..
Dears--

There is SUCH a chance that you all smell absolutely FINE!  Women have much better noses than men, although our sniffer sensitivity fluctuates, depending on our current hormone levels.  

http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/health/1796447.stm.

If you are worried that you smell, or are jumping through tons of hoops every day attempting to staunch your stench, maybe take a moment to consider if what you are experiencing is really a perspective problem, rather than a your being abnormally putrid.  Our noses are considerably closer to our own skin than most other people's snouts (apart from those gallant significant others--you know what I mean).

At the very least, ask a girlfriend who you trust if you smell or not, and firmly ask that she be honest, not polite.  With input from an objective third party, you'll be able to better inform your decisions about whether or not to turn up or down your smell-o-vision.

Cheers!
i have been washing with baking soda everyday and i noticed it COMPLETELY (and immediately) took away the smell so i STRONGLY recommend this. all i do is run a washcloth under hot hot water sprinkle some baking soda and apply then rise with hot water. hope this helps! good luck to the rest of you
Hello everyone I too have that same problem. I have just had a pap smear and I am totally fine. Except for the fact that I have GENITAL HERPES. Herpes causes me to have a clear ammonia discharge whenever I am having an outbreak. So to all the ladies please get tested because when you go get a pap or cultures the doctor does NOT test for herpes automatically. I asked my doctor when I first found out did they test for that and she told me no. I get my paps annually every year faithfully. I didnt find out this horrible news until i got a painful outbreak in my rear area and my doctor actually had to swab the sore to test it. So it could possibly be HERPES I really hope that it's not because living with this is not fun!!! ALot of people never know they have herpes because it lays dormant in your body. You could have it for years and not know until you get an outbreak. Outbreaks are triggered by sex, emotional stress, physical stress, bad food habits, etc.. So please ladies go to the doctor and tell them yu want a blood test for herpes if you do not have any visible sores to test they can test your blood for herpes and good luck ladies.
im a medical student and i learned lately that only for women hormones in the pubic area of the women secrete sweat and other hormone(estorgen i guess,.) it is a natural process to maintain the reproductive functions ... to decrease it , eat healthy food and drink plenty of water that these sweat secretions can be secreted through urine , and the ph will be maintained and sweating will be reduced ,,, and also eat lot of fruits and veggies ... this will give a proper hormone balance in the body ,.,.,.,.
Many women seem to have this problem.  When I stopped drinking milk (even in the coffee) the symptoms went away.  When I drinked it again the symptoms came back.  Maybe the antibiotics in the milk disrupt the healthy flora!
Hi all, I am so glad I found this site. Around my late 50's I started going through the change, and my doctor put me on the patch.  Almost immediately I acquired a very strange odour. I had a scan, smear, swabs, and there was nothing wrong. I was asked at my hospital was the smell fishy, and it wasn't, but at that stage I did not know how to describe it. I was taken off the patch, but 5 years on, the smell is still there with a discharge. I permanently have to wear a panty-liner during the day and change at least twice, and sleep wearing a pad. Otherwise I wake up with a wet (not damp) crutch. The smell is a very strong bleach/mans sperm smell. My relationship ended within six months after the smell started as I was reluctant to be intermit. Prior to that every relationship i had it was commented on the fact that I just didnt ever have a vaginal odour. I went to Harley Street to get a second opinion, and after numerous tests, there was nothing abnormal. At the bottom of the report it said.  You know ..........sometimes these things happen, and we dont know why. I cant tell you how this has affected me, and I now am on my own, and dont have any intimacy at all. I feel so incredibly bad.  This was obviously caused by the patch - some sort of imbalance, but there is nothing out there to rectify it.
I have been observing these symptoms for a while now and I noticed also that when I went to Cuba my symptoms disapeared with two days or so, and when I came back to Canada it came back again,  I strongly believe it's our environment , water, foods etc.
U have urine leakage which is causing ur panties to be wet. Urine also has many different smells depending on the individual. that's where the smell is coming from. If it's not fishy it's usually not bv yeast infections doesn't smell like a dead body it usually has a doughy smell or sometimes no smell at all.
U need to see a urologist.
Good luck
hey im only 17 an i had had this smell since april an it only happend wen i had sex wit this boy it came like a week later it never went away im worried that i may have an std or somethin and one question is the smell harmful to ma baby im only 1 month
if you havent had sex in a while and you have had sex recently if you are experiencing a foul ammonia like odor down there you most likely have a bladder infection from the friction of the penis rubbing against your bladder. its normal.

Ok to all, I know allot about this subject do to the fact that I’m 42, and have had  allot of probes with infections! First of all don’t hesitate to go to your Gyno!!! Make sure you always have a yrly exam that way you keep on top of things + stay healthy. Tel them your concerns, they will give you the answers, there fore you wont have to guess + worry. They are the experts!! Another thing you should never leave a tampon in for a day!!! It is to be changed a least Hr or earlier. Leaving in to long can also cause infections, + can be very serious!! Also make sure during periods, you don’t forget to take it out + replace w/ new one or just simply forget there’s one in!! Don’t think its strange, so many woman on the go especially w/ hectic lives trying to deal w/ the period at the same time, have forgotten tampons in them, that also causes very serious infections!! Read the box instructions you will understand what I'm saying better. Other yes we also sweat in that area, and their are deodorant spray for the prob, which is normal. And you could wipe out the good bacteria’s with certain cleansers, or too much cleaning, and some people get mild infections from soap alone, because they are allergic. Use natural specific to female washes. Find out more about oral sex too! That can also cause infections, like strep, the mouth holds all kinds of bacteria’s. Also is related to cervical cancers. As your Gyno on how to keep healthy, also you can look up info on the web + WebMD is great. But the ones that know the best are your Drs!! Good luck + stay healthy, Bon :))
I'm old enough to have had a hysterectomy. I'm a VERY clean person....I take pride in smellin good for my man. I recently started wearing panty liners cause of the wet panties and ammonia like smell. I went to the doctor, who is doing a urine culture and a couple swab cultures too but he thinks its unspecified vaginosis. I've had a bacterial infection before, many years ago and i didn't have this smell. This is something totally different. I've never had a bladder infection, but I don't have any other standard symptoms....no pain during sex, urination, or otherwise, no discharge or itching...etc., no other symptoms. Regardless, the doc put me on a tetracycline antibiotic and I'm awaiting test results. I've only had 2 sexual partners in 20 years. Promiscuity is not an issue here. The only thing that does stand out in my mind would be a kidney infection (but again no usual symptoms) due to the fact that I had kidney stones a couple years ago that dissolved on their own, requiring no medication. Anywho....as soon as I find out the answer, I'll let everyone else know. I'm only on day 2 of the medicine.
hi im a 14 year old im not a virgin im not a who-re just i need help i cant tell my parents or anybody or my love but i have a bad smell in my vag area and leaking i dont know was it is but it smells down there im scared theres something wrong please help me i cant go to a Dr or anything tested i cant talked to anyone about it please anybody know whats wrong with me. im really scared because i have no clue what to do i cry about the all the time because i dont like it i want help but i cant i dont know if i cant trust my mom because i barely know her now a days so i dont know how she would react to it........and i cant stand my step dad he can never keep a secret what should i do?
Hi All,

I have had experiences with smells down there.  Sometimes, it seems like a fine line sometimes between something serious (STD or Bladder infection) and just hormone and diet difference which can affect things down there.  In my experience (luckily I didn't have anything serious) Dr.'s haven't really helped me.  

At one time I was working in a stressful job and I noticed the Ammonia smell, especially right before, during and for about a week after my period.  I read online that the chemicals used in the bleaching process for pads, tampons and even toilet paper can change the PH balance of your vag.  If I would get my period at work, sometimes I would use toilet paper instead of a pad until I could go back to the bathroom and use a tampon or pad.  

Anyways, the smell got stronger and stronger each period.  Finally it was really affecting me and making me self conscious.  I bought some cloth type pads from the health store (one kind was Glad Rags made in Portland OR and the other kind was really cute patterned, I forget what it's called by company in Australia).  They had snaps to put in the underwear.  The worst part about it, is you have to wash them.. which can be annoying/ not discrete if you live with people.   But anyways, I lived alone so it wasn't bad.  

I used these exclusively for a few months and the strong Ammonia smell totally went away.  Once I got my period and just used toilet paper from work to make like fake pad/wedge and after that period I sorta had the ammonia smell again.  So for me, it seemed like it was the the bleached paper that causes the smell.

I read online that the scented pads, can make the smell even worse.  It's been a few years and I kinda mix it up between throwaways and the cloth pads, but if I use a tampon with a cloth pad, the cloth pad will smell ammonia-like from the tampon or string.  And if I don't use a tampon, just using the cloth pad, it hasn't smell like ammonia.

Hope that helps.

Hi jskiff :)

What you are describing sounds like a classic yeast infection.  I'm not a doctor, but my friend used to have these a lot and every time she went to the Doc it was a yeast infection.  I got one once too, and knew what it was since she had talked about it a lot.  I took antibiotics and it went away.  I think I have noticed it coming on, a few times and sorta headed it off with diet and bathing, oh and not using latex condoms.

Interesting solutions with the baking soda thing.  I commend you for trying natural solutions.  I hope they work for you.  Cos I don't like taking antibiotics (and I'm allergic to a few from overuse when I was younger.. all doctor prescribed).  If the infection has a big strong hold in your system though you might need to take them.

Also I noticed using not Latex condoms helped.  I think I'm sensitive to them.  They aren't as good at preventing HIV, so better to use in only monogamous relations, but I totally recommend them if you feel dried out or itchy right after to two days after having sex with a latex condom.

You mentioned Birth Control, I think sometimes that can interact with the flora of the vag.. but prolly a lot depends on type and your body.  Also don't use tampons (if you can help it) or change them ALOT, if you have the symptoms you described cos it will make worse.  If your birth control is the type that stops you getting your period, if you can take a break from it (prolly should talk to your doctor first tho) and have a period or two, it may help your body to flush out the yeast.  

I haven't had this problem in a long time but I suspect I may have yeast in my body anyways and am taking some probiotics.  I also eat a lot of veggies and lay off sugared sodas and candy which contributes to a more acidic environment in your body.
No it won't show up in a pap. Pap tests should be done once a year to test for cervical cancer. You have to get treated specifically for STD's. They are two different tests. Never depend on a pap for an STD result!!
Hey Everyone,

I wanted to share this because I had amonia (ammonia) smelling pee for a year back when i was 23. It was so embarrassing. Omg I thought I was doomed. I finally had enough. I worked for a Chinesse Accupuncturist who use to be an obgyn in China. I told her my problem. She gave me this herbal pills. I asked her if they worked how long would it take before i saw any changes. She told me three days.  Even though i was really skeptical I took them because i was so desperate.  It didnt take three days for it to go away, it took the next time i went pee it was completely gone. Please believe me when I say this. I dont know the name of the pills because they were in chinesse but I can go and get the name. Is anyone interested?? Remember I only had amonia (ammonia) smelling pee not dischage.
Woow!.. its funny how this post began in 2005 and even in 2011 its still rellevant! .. I am 18 yrs old, a virgin and in colllege (i know its odd being a virgin in college but oh well :)
anyways.. i REEK down there and it goes through my clothes, i wear 2 paris of undies, 2 pantiliners, and  the smell passes thru my jeans esp if i sit down for long hours in class.. by the 2-3 pm my JEANS then start smelling, and i wash them+ dry with fabric softener :( oh, i also shower 3 times a day, i eat lunch for 10 min and spend the rest of my lunch hour showering in my dorm..
anyways, i now want to try FDS, Feminine Deodorant Spray,.. any suggestion?

plz help, like today i was in class and this cute guy was clearly making a move and wanted to come close.. it was like 4 pm and i had to ignore him b/c i was ashamed of the smell :( PLZ HELP!
I think it's funny that this post is still relevant in 2011 too :)

but seriously I had the same problem with the wet panties and clear, watery, smelly discharge and while there alot of answers to this post the one I thought was the craziest was the "lost" tampon story....

BUT I TOTALLY JUST CHECKED AND FOUND ONE!

I know, I feel like an idiot and feel bad that I thought all these girls were crazy for forgetting about their tampons but it totally happy apparently haha.

seriously before going to a doctor check and see id there is a tampon up there haha
just cause it has been a long time doesn't mean it definitely isn't sti. but it's most like a yeast infection. but going along with the persong above me, just go to your doctor for a accurate diagnoses.
I'm an 18 year old male and I had unprotected sex with and ex of mine. about a day later the right side of my groin smells like her vagina and i canr get rid of the smell. what do I do? I've never had this problem before. is it an STD?
The smell is a funky fishy smell. and it's gross.
Im a 26 yrs old woman I first got bv after my son was born who is now 8. So yes you can say I been dealing with this for some years now. I've try all the pills and creams my Dr givin me nothing seems to work. :( Then I came across a site try douching with hydrogen peroxide for 3 days so at this point what did I have to lose. The smell that comes with bv is like a PUS,FISHY odor that made me sick to my stomach. Ok so I douch and used folic acid pills an put a acidophuilus pill inside my vagina. It WORKS no odor... A month later I became pregnant but loss the baby at 9 weeks I had a d&c an bled for 5 days. About 3 weeks later I started to smell but it was not the smell of a bv so I douch with peroxide for 3 day and did the same as before. Then I notice I started to spot but not a full period just wondering is it from the hydrogen peroxide cuz my dr said I wont get a regular period for 28 to 32 days if longer to go see her.  
Douching with peroxide--really?  That doesn't sound healthy.   I personally sometimes have an odor, but if I drink a lot of water and keep up with my cranberry pills and probiotics, that usually does the trick.  Your vulva and vagina are self cleaning.  Though of course you wash with soap and water in the shower.  Pantyliners, too can help with the odor.  I would ask the doctor about the spotting, or ask his/her nurse or one of the 800 numbers for nurse suggestion.
this may sound weird but it could (possibly) be the laundry detergent you are using...when i use scented products and the powdered products it will smell soooooo fishy that it is humiliating so, i just use scent free stuff (like all free and clear) and it is much better.  it could also be the soap you use, bar soap makes me stink to the max and gels seem to be better...just some thoughts for you guys

Hi Ladies,

First, sorry for my English as is not my first language. I want to say I impressed of all the sharing. Make things possible.

I met a girl lately (I'm a boy), lovely girl, and when we made love (2 days ago), her smell was of strong ammonia. It never happened to me before (I'm over 40). We made love after we showered and when i got there to taste her nice fruit, I almost choked! Couldn't breathe. The smell closed my throat. (Sounds silly but that's reality).

So it brought me here for solution and after reading your post (thanks to all, it's so precious).  

Here's what I thing and my suggestion:
The smell of a person, any person, comes from the eaten food. Breathe, feet, underarm, sex etc. Have you ever breath the breathe of a baby (newborn or so). It’s a perfume as well as its skin. Why? Because the mother’s filter have let pass to the fetus only top quality stuff. As adult, if we could have flesh as clean as a baby our sweat of any kind would smell good. After a certain time without washing, it would start to smell. Per instance, while I was vegetarian eating only organic food, my waste smelled 10% of the average person waste. Almost nothing, as well as my fart. Isn’t funny?! I’m sure! Also my breath was fresh, and morning breath almost didn’t smell, and all my body smell was good.  

I could read in post that sugar doesn’t help. In fact sugar is the most puissant destroyer of good bacteria and immune system. I agree about taking pill of acidophilus and other good bacteria. In food like yogurt, most of them will be destroyed by stomach acid. So suppositories good bacteria should do the job. By the way, I had Candida few years ago (fungus that make itching like crazy) and I tried and extreme diet (recommended by doctor) and it helped but not completely. Someone told me to eat raw garlic. I eat one garlic (not baked) while eating something else and after 3 day it was gone. Eat more if needed. Garlic is extremely powerful to kill bad bacteria, fungus, and other bugs like these. (By the way, the conflict inside of me created this disorder. It was fixed after my conflict was vanished.)

Solution for PH:
Drinking one or two once of wheat grass juice per day (green veggies is also good but not as strong). It balance the PH. It’s doing miracles. (Google it). It detoxify, rejuvenate, etc. Too many benefits to write them all here. You can find it in natural health food store.
Some person who eats only raw food including wheat grass juce, sprouts and germination had their grey hair get back to natural color. It happened to one of my friend.  

So your body is made of all the food you’ve eaten for the last years. And to be frank we eat junk everyday and the body works hard to expulse the toxin by every way possible, including sex liquid.

Finaly, moe12345 comment is relevant (thanks for posting); my new girl friend has genital herpes. (She told me before making love (with comdom)). But I believe that smell of any kind can be fixed by what I wrote before (and older post)

Finaly finaly… In a new medicine way (Dr. Ryrk Hamer), symptoms appears mostly as a solution of an inside conflict that we don’t have solution. If you don’t want to make love with a man, of if you have a sexual blockage or precise opinion (limited) your body may find the solution by the smell… keeping man away. 25 years ago, I was married to a woman that I did not want to make love anymore (too long to tell. No, no other woman or man involved! ), and couldn’t find a solution (didn’t consider divorce at that time). So my body found the solution with Candida in my sexual area. I had an excuse!!! The human body being is an impressive thing!

I hope I helped you a bit. You did with your post (you suggestions and that she’s not alone whit that ammonia smell). I’ll suggest her wheat grass juice and other of your suggestion. If possible, I’ll post result. Please do so. It could help others.

Love to all.

Abel adam  
I had a foul odor for quite some time and was very concerned about it. I have been celibate for several years so I knew that it was not related to STDs. I was recently diagnosed as having a wheat intolerance and as soon as I cut wheat out of my diet the vaginal odor went away. So sometimes the foods we ingest can affect our balance in our vagina. It's worth getting yourself checked out if you have food intolerances. Hope this helps!
Hi I'm 16 and for like 2 years now iv had this smell coming from  my vaginal area like my underware has wettness and it smells like ammonia and I can smell it through my cloths and it's really embaresing to go out I'm nt sexually active iv had sex once this past year but this started last year in 2010 and I'm  embarresed to tell my parents or my doctor someone please tell me wat to do
I too have had a dead rat or fishy smell down there and just recently the ammonia smell which sounds plausible that it could be from urine...When I take a shower a few hours later I will have a weird odor. I have put on panty liners and when I go to take them off it is kinda brownish in color...I'm very embarresed to see a doctor no matter how many times they have come across women  with the same problem, plus I don't have any insurance right now.....I heard that eating and/or putting plain yogurt down there will help with the smell or taking probiotics (over the counter) but haven't tried it myself as yet....any remedies out there that has worked for other women? the most inexpesive please :)
please give me some suggestions to get rid of my horrible vaginal odor.. Im 20 years old and ive been suffering with this bad odor since i was 14 years old. the smell is so unbearable that ive tried bathing in vingar and i even tried to kill myself 12 times. i just dont  want to live anymore because of the odor i even dropped out of high school beacuse i was so embarassed by it..:(.. I go to the dr and he tells me im fine and that odor may just be normal.. their is nothing normal about the odor please HELP
Yes, I've had that pinkish watery discharge and it smells like ammonia.  It comes and goes.  I've stopped my periods (I'm 53) but have small amounts of bleeding too.  When I'm bleeding it doesn't stink.  I've asked my OB/GYN and she's never heard of anything like it.  She said that bacterial vaginosis smells like fish, not ammonia.  How can we all have this problem and the doctors haven't heard of it?
I've had this same problem and wear panty shields.  The wetness is definitely not sweat.  It comes from the vagina and smells like ammonia.  I'm 53 so I've had lots of opportunity to sweat down there, and this is very different from that.  Where could that watery stuff be?
I don't know if, as a male, I can help at all but I do have a few thoughts and views on the subject of smell.
Ammonia smells come from urine so by wiping well after urinating the smell should not be strong.  As you have noticed the smell from the age of 15, I expect you have now developed the smell of an adult female which is as it should be.
Most women are concerned if they detect a smell between their legs but usually they are fussing about nothing.  Medical checks are clear and doctors tell them everything is ok, so what can be the problem?  Well, actually, there is no problem.  In reality women have a smell that is attractive to men in a sexual context.  To confirm this, search the web for women selling dirty smelly knickers to men who are willing to pay for them.
I can understand and respect your views and I suggest you simply wash between your legs gently with warm water and then pat yourself dry.  Wear cotton type panties that keep you cool and let air circulate between your legs.  Wear skirts or dresses rather than tight denim jeans.  Try eating a pot of Activia yoghurt daily for lunch followed by Actimel, both made by Danone.  I am not in the business if promoting this stuff but it has good bacteria in it and it may diminish the smell after a few weeks.
I eat the stuff every day with a salad lunch and I have absolutely no body smell at all.  My feet don't smell, my armpits don't smell and no other area of my body smells.  In fact I feel a freak.
Drink plenty of water, a glass at breakfast, a glass at lunch, a glass or two in the PM, a glass at dinner and a glass in the evening.  Soon, you will find this very refreshing and you will enjoy.
If you have sex, make sure the bloke uses a condom.  If you like fingering your anus or using anything up there, do not put anything from anus to vagina in any circumstances.
Finally, you are a female so enjoy it.  You may well find that some men will be drawn to you and, believe it or not, it could be that they not only like you but they like your smell which to a man will be subtile and cuddly.  You might end up with a boyfriend who likes to sniff you down there and enjoys sniffing your dirty panties.
Please understand, I am not trying to be crude or offensive but just to point out some of the realities of life.  By chatting with your friends and others, there may come an opportunity to discuss this subject but be aware that although many people are attracted to certain "dirty" body smells they are unwilling to admit it due to embarrassment.
I hope these comments may be of help.  
Like so many others who have commented on this, I'm SO relieved that I'm not the only one with this problem, and thank you all soo much for voicing your personal situations/opinions and being honest. Really.

I have the ammonia smell problem as well. It started when I was about 20 years old [4 yrs ago]; I had just started running regularly, and after one particularly long/intense run, I noticed the strong odor right before I showered. It continued after that day [any time I was sweating], so I went to the store and purchased several female hygiene products; none of which completely solved the problem.

I recently started back at the gym daily.. [for the record, I am the type of person that sweats more than most, partly in relation to drinking so much water.. or so I've heard] But the smell has gotten so bad, it causes me to leave the gym after 30mins to an hour & rush back to the locker room [staying as far away from every person that I walk by as humanly possible] It's downright humiliating, and no amount of feminine powder or deodorant spray has ever really helped. Although today, right before working out I tried [the idea from above] applying the deodorant stick to the sides of the undies and to the corresponding body parts, and it made a huuge difference; there was no trace of the smell at all. My only worry about that remedy is the fact that I'm a long-term health kind of person.. and not so sure if it's safe to use deodorant in that spot daily..? [where the leg meets the pubic area]

None-the-less, I'm going to try a few other remedies posted on this page.. [like washing the outer area of the pubic region with baking soda, and buying a 'Diva Cup' instead of using tampons... reading what I have about tampons on this page, I never want to buy another] Also an attempt will be made to change my diet for the better.. although currently that is going to be rather difficult, considering a few temporary inconveniences.

Anyways, thank you all again for all your posts and comments/advice about the subject. They have all helped me more than you know.  :) :)

P.S.- [My doctor just prescribed me Acidophilus, as I had BV twice in the past 6 months, and I'm currently on my last day of antibiotics for it. I firmly believe the two issues are not related, but that is only in my case. Regardless, I'll post an update later on if the Acidophilus seems to be helping the odor issue.]
i'm 25 and recently had a baby. I used to have mild cases of trush (thrush) but ever since i got pregnant until now i've been having this serious ordour and discharge and its awful. My boyfrand pointed it out when i was preegnant and i said it would go away after the baby is born, but it got worse and he couldn't even have sex with me. After some time he came round though he has to constantly bury his head on the pillow during sex. Like others i bath 3 times a day and i cnt even be near people in college coz  the smell is obvious. and sleep without underwear and even try to stay without it indoors. But it doesnt change anything. I tried over the counter meds bt thy only cure for a short period. Im thinking of giving up sex coz i cant even enjoy it anymo!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! iv been to the gyno bt thy all say the same thing........
i also have a vaginal smell my doctor has done test and says there is no infection my boyfriend is now refusing to have sex with me i don't know what else to do any imformation anyone has i would be really gratefull
i have the iud and i have a strong smell down there and i taste like straight vinegar yuck its serious i try everything change my underwear all the time shower wash it put baby powder on after showering still after a while the smell returns
Hello !

I really need help :( I have been searching out but all i get is Probiotics and iron Supplements and to take antibiotics etc . I am reallly so confused don't know what to do i even can't go to Doc :( the smell is really bad :( and all my underwear get nasty with that garlic dirty smell :( plz any one there help me Outttttttttttt :( i nvr cared abt my dirty panties may b thats the reason bt what to eat now and what to do ?????
I've been doing some research into this.  I don't know if I have all the answers, but here is some stuff I've found.  When your body's pH is out of  balance, it creates ammonia, which can come out in your secretions, even in your sweat.  I've been learning about it in a book called The Beauty Detox Solution, by Kimberly Snyder.  She also recommends a book called The pH Miracle, by Robert Young.  Your diet makes a huge difference.  I've been trying the suggestions and have completely changed my odor.  Thank heavens!  Also, I'm sure I'm just getting much healthier as a result.  Good luck everyone, you aren't crazy!
I'm 13 and I'm having this issue, not that I'm worried about anyone being down there but if i sit with my legs open i can smell it! its horrible! i don't sweat a lot! but i do eat junk food. i'm not sexually active, im a virgin. i just don't know. this has been going on for quite some time now. :/ also i'm having itching, i take showers regularly and clean myself and i change my underwear daily, but it still won't go away.  :/ please help.
Try taking long baths and adding 1/4 cup of bleach to your bath water. First clean your bath tube with bleach. Always make sure your tube is cleaned well with bleach are the smell will come back. Doctors cannot always find the bacterias that cause these systems. Many women suffer with odor problems and it is hard for them to deal with this when they have to work or have relationships. It is most important to take a bath at night sit in the tube with the 1/4 cup of bleach for about 30 min do this for five nights in a roll and when you get out of the tube rube yeast medicine or monistate 7 on your body the bleach will dry you out. Don't use other lotions because they will help to hold the dampness in and the bacteria will grow.
Hi.I am 17 years old just going through all ur comments if this site even excists eneymore! As these comments was so long ago I'm just wondering I have the same problem my pants are always wet! And it brings of a really bad smell but its not like fish ihs just really unpleasent iv had it for like 6 months know nd I'm really embarrassed to go to my doctor I am a very clean person I shower al the time it can't be from sex or anything iv been with my partner for 4 years& he is the only 1 iv been with can eney1 help??
My ***** is warm and it stinks like fish
Wow that's all great it gives me better hope to what it might be thanks y'all
I find that the Rephresh Gel work very good for me.
I'm so glad I found this website. I've been dealing with this problem for about 6 months now. I've been sexually active with more than 1 person and the guy I'm with now I've been with for over a year. He's been tested for STDs recently and came back negative so I don't think that is my problem. He recently started not being intimate with me and informed me that I do have a smell down there. I was aware of it before but I wasn't sure if anyone else could smell it. It's a very fishy smell and gets really bad right before and right after my period. I've always been a very clean person but I can't find anything to help. I have a white colored discharge that is sometimes watery but sometimes thick like cottage cheese almost.. After reading I believe it might be a yeast infection or bv. I read that bv can also cause pain during intercourse which is what I experience also. I've only used a tampon like maybe 5 times so I don't believe that's my problem. Anyone out there have any suggestions? I dont have insurance right now so its hard to get to a doctor. And could a regular doctor help me with this? Like at a health department. Or just an obgyn?  
Thanks.
I'm 18, and NOT sexually active. I'm a Virgin. I have this discharge almost every day, sometimes clear, sometimes gray/white. It smells like chlorine (closest smell I could think of). I'm very insecure about my body, that's the only reason I haven't gotten a physical or a pap test or STD test. But I'll get the courage and do it soon, because the smell is killing me.

I've been researching this, and apparently many women get this either during pregnancy, or just randomly. Some natural websites say to dip a tampon (this sounds disgusting - bear with me) in probiotic yogurt and insert it as you normally would. Wear a pad in your underwear and go to sleep (if you walk around with it during the day.. you'll leak the yogurt everywhere) and wake up the next morning, remove and shower. Once or twice a week does the trick. The good bacteria fights the bad bacteria in your vagina and VOILA. I don't know if this helps, but thought I would let you know. Also, I think you can eat the yogurt, but it's more effective if you insert it. Also, washing everyday does in fact remove pro-bacteria which help fight the bad bacteria.

Anyways, cheers and I hope this helps!

-V

I have the same vaginal odour with cottage cheese inside my vagina and on my knickers, I'm a virgin and don't wanna go doctors! what do I do?:L xxx
yea happens to me when i eat del taco
Oka soo can yhu have odors from Having sex and nt dooshing??......
Hi, im 15 years old and well..my vagina smells and i dont know why it just does. I seriously have no one to talk to about it because im the only girl in the family. and i just want some answers also i have never had any sexual relations with anyone- if that helps it narrow it down
I'm 36 and have had an odor issue just in the last two weeks that I believe to be urinary rather than vaginal odor.  As we get older, the muscles aren't what they used to be (esp. after pregnancy, surgery, etc.) and it is common to have a little "dribble" issue.  I'm attributing my stronger urine/ammonia odor to being dehydrated (the last couple of weeks, I've been so busy I've forgotten to drink my water throughout the day) since the "dribble" has been smelling so strong.  I also agree with other people that it could be a PH issue.

Definitely find out if the odor is coming from your vaginal opening or your urethra opening (where the pee comes out)...I know this sounds silly and maybe gross, but we all need to be educated about and aware of our own bodies.  After you shower and clean yourself thoroughly, touch each part (vag and urethra) and smell to see where the odor is coming from.  I found that mine was urinary since the odor source was not my vagina, but the urethra and the odor was present right out of the shower (just like a few of others).

If it is urinary, you may want to try Kegel exercises to strengthen your muscles "down there" so you dribble less and really increase your water intake.  I am a BIG believer in probiotic supplements to keep the good bacteria in our bellies plentiful, so I am taking my probiotic and drinking tons of water.  I'll post if/when this odor goes away.  

If you have any other symptoms like burning urination, itching, cloudy pee, back (kidney) pain, etc. go to your doctor immediately as you may have a UTI / Bladder Infection.  If you start having kidney pain, this means the infection has spread to your kidneys and could be very serious...so get help fast!

Hi prisoner93,

It's very normal for your vagina to have a "smell".  All women have their own smell and it is unique to them.  Some women have strong smelling vaginas and others not-so-strong...so it's completely normal for it to smell.

What is not normal, however, is when the smell is like "rotten fish" or yeast. Or if you have itching, burning, or heavy discharge.  But from what you said in your post, you're probably not dealing with this type of smell.

My recommendation to you is to accept your unique smell and know that all of us women have the same thing.  You'll want to keep the area clean by showering once/day and cleaning all the folds and "parts" and rinsing thoroughly.  Rinsing is the key since if there is any soap residue left, it may cause a reaction that will lead to unwanted odor.  Don't put soap up your vaginal opening as this can also cause a reaction and the vagina self-cleanses, so just use water around the opening.  I'm sure you always wipe front to back...but some people forget this and it causes odor and infections.  Definitely STAY AWAY from douching or using "masking" fragrances as this will disrupt the natural balance in and around your vagina which will lead to unwanted odor as well.

Also, make sure to drink plenty of water -- this will help flush all of the toxins that can contribute to odor problems out of the body.

I'm sure it's hard to be the only girl in the family, I was the only girl for many years and we didn't have the internet back then, so it was all a mystery to me and I was very embarrassed to talk about it...but hopefully you'll find comfort in knowing you're not the only one that feels this way and all of us women have the same body part.  :)

Hi there doismell,

Dont know if you are still reading this thread, but my heart goes out to you. I also have had this problem on and off since i was a teenager. A few  years ago i read an article on the many uses of hydrogen peroxide. This is now my new best friend. Any time you feel you have the problem you get a 3% solution of hydrogen peroxide and with a ten or twenty ml syringe inserted into the vagina, squirt it up there and try and hold it there by contracting the your muscles. Repeat this two or three times straight after each other. You may experience a very mild burning, but that is all. The hydrogen peroxide breaks down very quickly but kills off the yeasty horrid stuff and encourages the normal stuff the vagina needs. It works brilliantly for me and i have recommended it to a couple of friends. Search for yourself  on the internet for a full scientific reason. Search it as a vaginal douche and lots of stuff comes up. For all the other people who comment i believe the fishy smell is the bv, but the amonia (ammonia) smell is something different, weather it is urine or not i dont know, but i really dont think it is bv. Whatever the symptoms the hydrogen peroxide gets rid of them all and you may not need to repeat it for months!
Good luck and would be lovely to know how you get on
Okay, I said on Jan 11 that I would post if I have any changes.  I have been taking my probiotic and drinking a lot of water (about 80 oz) each day and the urine/ammonia stinky smell is completely gone...it's only been two days since I started replenishing my body with the water it needed - so ladies, please try this if you had my issue.

Also, I am doing Kegel exercises whenever I think of it.  I didn't realize I dribbled before the smelly dehydrated pee episode, so I'm kegeling it to hopefully get those muscles in check.  But even with the little pee that comes out, at least now it doesn't smell bad.
So.. I have this fishy odor down in my private area.. I think I have been pregnant for about a couple weeks or a month. Me and my boyfriend are recently having unprotected sex lately because I know that you won't harm the baby if your man cums in you while you are pregnant. I am pretty sure I am pregnant.. And my man doesn't mind the smell but I really do because it bothers me and it's embarrassing! Plus I can smell things better because I am pregnant. This is just so upsetting!!! Sometimes my vagina itches or burns just randomly or whenever I have to go pee. I really want this to go away. Any suggestions on what my problem may be?
I also have the dampness and the smell.and occasional discharge. (it's white and real thin) It's a weird smell, like ammonia. And here lately all of a sudden i will get a sudden urge to pee, i'll have to go so bad sometimes i dont make it to the bathroom. also at times it's uncomfortable and hurts to pass urine. I also get really bad itching time to time. Could this be a bad UTI ? or a yeast infection?
This sounds like a bad UT to me. but get a std test to.
Hi ladies, I am glad to see I am not the only one with this problem. First let me say, that "foul or fishy or rotten " oder is most likely BV. I had that once, I had a fishy odor and I went to the OBGYN and  it was indeed BV and an antibiotic cleared it up very quickly.
NOW, the problem i am having is like so much of what I'm reading here. I have what people are calling the "ammonia odor". That isn't exactly how I would have described it, I'd just say it is like a pee smell. And yes I can smell it through my clothes and am very paranoid that other people will smell it. I shower and clean well and the odor will be gone, but it does reappear fairly quickly. I am writing to say that I am going to the OGYN very soon and I intend on getting a solid answer to what this is. I have a feeling like so many others my tests will all be fine, however I am not going to accept that this normal from my doctor. I am going to get to the bottom of this and find out how to fix this problem. And if MY OBGYN absolutely INSISTS there is nothing wrong then I will go see a urinologyst. (I spelled that wrong) But this can not be "normal". I haven't found any reasonable explanations that came from doctor on this thread. I will update and let you know what happens.
And of course, please remember to get an std test even if you think you have fixed your problem. I am not a doctor, but i think you would definately want to rule that out first...
Again I am determined to find out what this is. I'm not accepting getting blown off. by the number of posts here this is very real problem.
hey i have the same problem here is what i found that it might be but im not sure if thats even what mine is http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trimethylaminuria well it might be for part of it anyway message me and tell me what u think my email is ***@****
Hi I'm 14 and I am seeming to get watery stuff in my underwear during th day and I have never had it before??
i m 31 yrs maried. from 3 to 4 months in my vagina is smells when it became wet( Discharge) or in Period time I can't really explain the odour, it just smells tooo much bad can not take breath its happning from 3 to 4 months.my period smells horrible.
I'm having a problem with vaginal odour and am looking for a way to get rid of it. For approximately the last 3 to 4 months I've noticed that had a b.o. (body odoour) smell coming from my vagina. aftr wash it come agin aftr short period. I've never had this problem before and don't smell anywhere else. I shower at least once a day  and change my underwear frequently. There's  discharge, however my underwear is to be considered wet. I've tried shaving all hair so that there's nothing for the smell to attach to, and I also wash very thoroughly with soap. This all sounds so disgusting I know, but I just want it to go away! Any help is greatly appreciated!
I know this sounds really simple but drinking copious amounts of water can help neutralize the smells down there (and elsewhere) and helps prevent urinary tract infections. I don't know if you've noticed but the more water you drink, the less your urine smells because it is less concentrated.  Try water with lemon which is great for the body!

Also, I know it sounds counter intuitive however over cleaning in that area can stimulate the very smells you are trying to avoid. Clean around the area because many of these products can actually give you a bladder infection.

Certain foods do contribute to the stinkiness down there however again, staying hydrated tends to dilute the odours and they quickly pass through the system.

That's been my experience anyhow.  Water, water and more water!
Is it possible that you have a tampon stuck?  That may sound far-fetched, but even if you cannot feel it, it could be lodged very far up in the fornices of the vagina.
So what did they tell you cus I'm having the same problem now
I had to come and post what I have just discovered....I recently had the same foul smelling vaginal odor, and was horribly embarrassed about it.

I didn't know if I could be smelled by others, or even if my husband could smell it while lying in bed (when the blankets were adjusted).  BUT, I have discovered the cause of mine, which may be the same thing as some of you have tried to do.  There was no itching, discharge, or anything "medial" related, just smell.  

So I sat down one day and thought, "What have I added to my diet, that was not there before?", and I came to the conclusion that I had indeed added "Peanut Brittle" (homemade of course which was good as I knew the ingredients)....I stopped eating it (I was using it as a smoking substitute) and waited a few days...the odor went away!  Then I tried out of the three key ingredients, which are sugar (always eat that), corn syrup...???, and the peanuts, which I can't eat as I have no bottom teeth but found I could eat them being stuck in the brittle.

So one at a time, and over days, I added the sugar to the corn syrup.  I made candy...and nothing, then I added the peanuts and overnight the odor was back....in my case it is peanuts.

So my advise is to sit down and figure if there is a new ingredient added to your diet in the recent weeks.

BUT, if there is nothing that you added to your diet, and can't figure it out yourselves....go see a Doctor asap as it could be something medical.  HOPE THIS HELPED SOMEONE.....

Better late than never and this is for anyone else needing this advice. If you're not going to go to the Dr. anytime soon and you know for a fact that it's not VD/STD/STI, like, youre a virgin with vaginal problems, take a bleach bath. Say what? Yes a bleach bath! Depending on the size of your tub, if it's a reg tub, about a topfull to two tops should be enough. If its a garden tub like mine, 4-5 topfulls. When you get in and your skins feels silky smooth or you can't stand the bleach smell, you've pure too much. Bleach will dry out your skin so be prepared to moisturize. I take a bleach bath before he performs oral on me or after a sweaty possibly can lead to a bad smell day. Also, after bathing, add powder down there and wear cotton panties. Carry unscented wipes and panties w/u to change throughout the day and watch what you eat. I'm years late but hopefully I've helped someone in need
After my 2nd period in one month went off I started having this fishy smell in in my panties. I shaved and showered and useduche to kekeep myself from smelling. And for some reason it want go away. It don't
Hurt when I use the bathroom and when I
Wipe It don't smell... It just sit iinside my panties. But I have made me apappointment. Although I have no medicade. So therefore I'm going...
I had this problem for ever,but not anymore!First,clean area with straight vinegar(put in spraybottle and spray on cloth and wipe,inside lips and out...even arm pits) I discovered vinegar cuts Any odor,NEXT,get in shower and bathe as usual.....After shower,dry off and apply vaseline down there,to me it protects skin from sweat and urine odors,just
like we use it on our babies bottoms,i carry a little in my purse and each time I use the bathroom,i reapply.....It may seem like a lot but now whenever my husband wants to endulge,unexpectantly,i don't have odor concerns.....Goodluck,Vaseline changed my life:)
anyone ever heard of a douche? try it.. it cleans out the vagina and gets rid of the fishy smells... also if your having trouble with sweating down under then use a stick deodorant and rub it on the inside of your legs/out vaginal lips.. its works there just like it does on your pits.. keeps you dry and odor free!!
Hi there!  I have an opposite sex question, what is going on when my boyfriend's underwear, inside smells like ammonia (bad)! I know this sounds gross, but we are human and most of us want to know what and why. He and I haven't had sex in too long to mention,....(there's relationship trouble). I don't normally do not smell the guy's underwear, I was just curious when he said he wanted to wash his own clothes, so I smelled them and looked for signs of, well, I hope he's not cheating on me.
A month or two after not having sex, (last year),.....we had sex, then not long after that, I found out I contracted genital herpes as I had the break out! The Dr.s are unclear if this was something I got from my boyfriend now, or someone in my past. Although, I had a test to find out how long the antibodies had been in me, and I was told "two months". This is all screwed up. I cheated on my boyfriend of 13 1/2 yrs. with the guy I'm with now going on two years ago. Up till I was told I now have genital herpes, I, nor my boyfriend of 13 1/2 years, and nor the guy I'm with now contracted anything. I'm confused!! I cheated on my most recent long relationship boyfriend because his parents wanted to make all our decisions for us and felt marriage was not a good thing to do, so they discouraged it, and as too close as he was to his parents and family, they came first, and I was recieving attention from the guy I'm with now that pulled me in like a craving. I asked him for forgivness, but he said, "hell no". I did end up staying with the guy I'm with now, but there's too many unanswered questions and things he won't talk about so I'm left to wonder how I contracted this. I'm sorry this is so long, I just wondered since this was a chat posting about vaginal amonia (ammonia) smell, if this could happen with my guy,..keep in mind, he and I are not having sex and haven't for a long time. I ask him if he's with someone else or with them as a sex thing, he always says no. I'm 42 years old and he's 53 years old.          Thanks for reading, good luck to all of you girls.        signed: Confused.
I am a RN who has worked with women with similar such as fleshy yeasty smell(yeast infection) or fishy foul smell Bacterial Vaginitis--BV).  From my experience I have found that sometimes a woman have two different infections in the vagina. The yeasty smell can be vagina yeast, usually caused by Candida albicans  or similar species. It can be treated traditionally by OTC yeast preparations or a visit to medical provider where you can get a prescription such as diflucan. For vaginal yeast infection it is usually provided in 2 dosages. However, if you are overweight, on Birth control or going through change of life, this may not be enough dosage to kill the yeast. Ask healthcare provider and it may take up to 6 doses. Homeopathic treatment that works well is Green Tree Oil. Usually provided in 6-8 suppositories and place in vaginal at night. It will be messy. If at all possible do not wear underwear to bed but place over large bath towel where you are sleeping. It may take all of the suppositories to treat. It can also work wonders for For the fishy smell the doctor will probably prescript a wide broad specific anti-infective such as Flagyl. It will need to be taken as prescribed. Many women quit due to the horrible after taste of the medication. Also a simple wash of the outer vaginal areas, labia minor, labia majora and pons with a mixture of 1/2 vinegar and 1/2 water. Use no soap and risk well. This can also be inserted into vaginal no longer that 1 hour using a tampon. Also the physician can order washes by prescription. Some of the over the counter such as rephase or similar can also be used to help. Never never douche the area. Wear cotton pants that allow to breath. When at home don't wear underwear or if you must wear very large loose fitting jockey shorts. If you are having intercourse regularly, get up after the act and urinate. Using condoms can also stop of the smell. Some of the smell after sex is the discharge of the sperm from the vaginal and it can take up to a day for it to dispell. During your normal 28-34 day cycle the PH of vaginal can change. Be aware that this can also cause an unusual smell to the discharge. Pregnancy in and of itself can also cause a unusual smell. When wiping remember to wipe front to back. I have actually suggested to some of my clients who are larger that they can get a small bottle with a open top (similar to dish soap top) and spray area after each use. I recommend that vinegar and water solution. It can sting after intercourse some be prepared. I have them do this after RR, after intercourse and also in shower. Last of all if the smell is accompanied by any kind of bloody discharge, dark or black discharge, brown discharge or similar see you doctor. If you suffer blood discharge after intercourse (unless it is first time) see physician. Get up to date regular PAPs and also yearly pelvic check. Increase lactobacillis (which has been linked to vaginitis, vaginoisis and other similar) can be eaten in yogurt. Also, unflavored, plain yogurt (without any added sugar) can be inserted using similar device as vaginal creams for yeasts. Try eating the yogurt and the insertion of the plain yogurt vaginally. Also wash in mild soap such as dove and those unscented. Beaware of products that are perfume as you will only mask the problem. lost tampons can also be a cause. Anyone who uses alternative sexual devices such as vaginal beads or balls make sure that they are clean (wash in mild soap after use and then in a 1 to 4 bleach solution and rinse thoroughly). Never share these items either. Vaginal dryness after menopause can also cause trouble. Replens can be used. Another resort can be to see healthcare provider and have him/her do culture to determine what is causing. This would be after routine screen for the usual suspects like STD, Common Vaginal Yeast Infection, etc. Sometimes the provider may find a resistant form of the bacteria or another type of fungal infection. Don't give up. You can become free of this. Hope I have help. I have used this for myself as well. All women suffer with this from time to time. Talk to your physician, nurse or even a trusted friend.
Hi nurse151 I'm almost  50 & am having a vaginal odorI don't know how to resolve, I bathe before bed & in the morning before I go to work & am clean & nicely dressed I've tried hydrogen peroxide w/water, metal cleaning products & nothing seems to work I've had BV & been prescribed antibiotics both oral & creams but my odor consistently exist I've had cultures & biopsies & the results have always been negative, i stopped drinking coffee at work but still may eat chocolate I recently read taking glycine 500mg & carnitine can relieve BO my odor comes from my vagina especially after urinating, I'm the joke of the office & am at my wits ends as to how to cure my problem, I've been to two differnt ob/gyn's & nothing seems to be working for me, any advise I will consider & thank you in advance for your professional opinion
try duching with warm soapy water or vinager.
It was just your period starting....nothing more. Your fine
There is actually certain bacteria's in the vagina that get rid of the bad bacteria. Make sure that when you are washing that the soap isn't actually going in, but only on the lips and outer areas. Don't douche either, because believe it or not, it isn't actually healthy despite what they may say. There is certain bacteria's that we need down there, but just make sure that when washing it isn't going in the inner lips. Still, go see a doc just in case!
Im going through the same thing , did you ever find a solution?
Everyone here, If you had more than one partner in the past it is probably std, or some skin decease that would also end up infecting all parts of your body. To be safe get married and stop messing or playing the boyfriend or the fiance games DON'T YOU ALL know that it is against god's commandments to fornicate DO NOT COMMIT ADULTERY. we are offending our selves and there's consequences through our own actions the good thing is that god gives common sense, START praying about it AND GO get vaccinated for TB,HEPATITIS ETC, this might help but prayer always helps, don't be denying that you don't need it because you can end up dead for a sin that needs to be put in the past. Vaccination is a little expensive but it could help you in a big way go to a community clinic.  I hope this help, thanks and god bless you all wonderful and beautiful made woman children of god. P.S HE LOVES YOU AND WAITING FOR YOU TO RETURN IN PRAYER TO HIM.
I have had the same problem with very bad BO smell coming from my vagina.  Just after showering and cleaning that area so well, while getting ready for work, I would reek.  The smell was so bad, I tried everything. Talked to my Dr. got no answers.  The funny thing is I don't have BO under my arms, don't even need deodorant. It is something, I just don't know what.  I started putting Neosporin between my leg and my outterlip and it works.  Also the other thing I learned is, it is impotant to stay moist in your actual vagina area because that helps in your natural cleanse.
Sorry, that reply was for you and anyone else who needs it.  Hope it works for you.
Great  to get your ideas. This ammonia and bleaching of the cotton gusset has been a real mystery to me. I am going back to the doc. I am from Edinburgh, Scotland and a bit disturbed by the shocking judgemental comments from jana911 above. God needs help here! Anyway, every best wish to you all,
You say eat fruit only. Too bad fruit is loaded with sugar, and though its natural it often exacerbates the problem down there as too much sugar causes yeast and candida. Sorry to say, but youre leading these girls down the wrong path.
ive been having a smelly odor down there so bad it smells like dead cat nd idk wats wrong ive aalays smelled down there im embarassed ill wash and it wnt smell but if I dnt wash for like a day or two I star smelling bad. Nd after I get out the shower ill dry down there smell the towel and it would smell fishy idk wats wrong its embarassing I need help
I have the same issue! I went to the doctoer and they told me that everything was negitiave. I used the same product and it actually worked really well. But I have the same concern, I dont want to hav e to do this the rest of my life. If the doctor has any suggestions or anything please let me know!
A bleach bath???? are you nuts?? I just hope that noone has acctually done it... Do not use anything on your body that is not meant to be used on it!! I cant believe some people are so dumb... the chemicals in home products can cause cancer and all kinds of other problems!! Dont believe everything this other phychos are writing here!!
Wow!  I am so glad I landed here.  Same problems.  I have or had pretty much most of the suggested causes at one point or another so I know it's not those. I am 42, 5 children, and married for 15 years, together for 18.  This smell just started the last 6 months.  I did have my pap in summer and mentioned the smell.  My doctor checked and she is excellent (have been seeing her for the last 10 years) and I came back perfect.  I read every comment here, wow multiple women different ages since 2005 and we are all still complaining about this foul ammonia like smell?  I am going to go back to my doctor just to rule out anything bacteria or ph being out of whack.  Every OB Gyn and my sister who is a midwife has told me not to douche but i will try the vinegar and water.  I will say my odor is more intense after intercourse.  It get's so bad I won't have sex the night before I have to work. My husband had a vasectomy so we no longer use condoms.  It is embarrassing, I am washing more (than once a day) and changing underwear often,as well.  I am going to try some of the things listed above.  I have nothing to lose.  It does remind me of the smell of my discharge during all 5 pregnancies and I am leaning towards the body odor/sweat theroy especially since I put on weight recently.  Before I read these post I definitely thought it was perimenopausal but odor is not a symptom.  I just want it to go away.  I will post an update as not too many people seem to comeback and do that.  Wish me luck and at least I feel better after reading these posts that I am not alone!!!
Okay, im also a rn. Forgive my typing, my fingers hurt from overwashing my hands.
Here we go... for those that take more than one bath a day... stop. Soap and water work to remove some germs. But get this fact... 20 MINUTES AFTER WASHING, LEFTOVER GERMS BEGIN TO EMIT WASTE AGAIN ! Their waste smells (it's called exotocins). Therefore,  you have 20 mins to fight the problem.
If you have a discharge, the color of the dicharge will determine the disease.
If u smell like Chicken of the Sea tunafish, u probably have BV. BV, like yeast infections, are not necessarily sexually transmitted... YOU HAVE AN IMBALANCE OF OF GOOD VS BAD GERMS UP IN UR VAGINA...
Fix it with prescription antibiotics or natural options.  Just remember what you are fighting... an imbalance of good vs bad germs in.your vagina.

WHY, WHY,WHY...did this happen to me? Could be several reasons : leftover tampons will trap germs so there's a natural imbalance of germs.
Douching is a quick way to cause a germ imbalance.
Using perfumes and scented products will irritate the vagina and make it angry, an angry vagina... is not a happy vagina. Usually, irritation produces heat. Change in temperature will encourage some germs to grow (multiply), or emit more exotocins=smelly coochie!
Or, the heat will actually kill some germs, again UPSETTING THE GOOD VS BAD GERM BALANCE!
Sex: condoms can irritate the vagina. I just explained what angry vagina can cause.
Or allowing him to ejaculate inside you... his germs plus your germs = angry vaginia.
Anal sex before vaginal sex equates putting poop into your vagina. Always go in the other order. U will definitely upset the balance of germs in ur cooch. Also, u can get hepatitis that way.
Same result will occur if you wipe from your booty to your coochie.
You know what pee smells like. That aint same as angry vagina. That's incontinence. You could have both... because pee on vagina = angry vagina if it sits there long enough. Look in incontinent section of store to get peri-wash will help the urine part.
UTI doesn't feel good at all. Frequency, burning, itching, and just irregular peeing action is also an imbalance of germs. It's just located higher than the vagina. It's in the urinary track.
My problem is that i began having seizures six months again. Therefore i am on about 15 medications. Now that's enough to imbalance anybody! So, now i have BV. Well, honestly, i also douched right before having unprotected, really good sex.
That was a bad idea. No one is perfect.
Goal and lesson, FIND OUT WHAT IS THROWING YOUR GERM BALANCE OFF AND FIX IT!!!!
How long have you had the iud? You should probably talk with your doctor and see if the iud can be causing or contributing to the odor.
This comment is to impersonate a real person and smear her online using her known username. This particular post is obviously not by the person who has had this unique username for many years. Why would she post a personal issue she does not have, when everyone knows her by this username? She wouldn't. Anyone should realize this.

This post is to get a keyword of an activity the real person enjoys, associated with embarassing, humiliating keywords, then search optimized to defame her. The real person is harassed and smeared all over the web by a malicious individual who likely is posting about her own personal problem in the victim's known username.

I can also attest to the fact this is happening offline too. The victim has suffered tremendous damage as a result. Some of us are not fooled. We are tired of seeing the abuse go on unchecked while this covert but malicious criminal cyberstalks, impersonates, smears and escalates the damage she is causing, and plays victim to glean support in shunning real victim.

If people would take a moment to just THINK, this is quite obvious. The tactics are typical of stalkers. The real victim needs your support. Stop playing into the evil rumormill, see the truth, and help us stop this harasser.
Back to the issues at hand
A smelly vagina indeed has solutions, the best part about this, is that because most women are embarrased about Vaginal issues, these remedies can be achieved at home.
To gét to the solution, its important to know what the problem is. If you have. had an annual and all nothing seems to point out the cause of the smell, then your vaginal odour is caused by a P.H. imbalance, so your V is just reacting.

Try this
Plain Yogurt
Add this to your daily diet and better still Soak a tampon in plain yogurt and put it in your V for about an hour. this helps balance your V's P.H.rid of the smell over a few days

Baking soda
Add a teaspoon to an average bottle of water, wait for it to absorb to ease the taste and drink it up, you can leave it overnight.
You can also add this to your bath water, about half a cup and let your lower body absorb this and your smell will only last a few more days

White vinegar
you can mix this up with your drinking water (please Google the ratio, I do what my taste buds can handle) also add some vinegar in your bath water

Garlic
Using a clean needle and thread, gét a strong thread through a whole clove to make something like a tampon, ensure the thread hangs loose to pull it out after 30 mins - 1hr (use a strong thread + I might need to say, please peel off the dry skin off the garlic...lol)
The strong garlic smell will wear off pretty fast

Try any of this, dont gét too crazy trying all, you might overwhelm your V..and who knows how else it might respond.
I really hope this helps
could some please help me i had bv got antibocs for it, it came back and i got the gel i have been getting like a pishy smell its been really strong and i can smell this outside my clothes i have been feeling really down cause i think others can smell i close my legs very tight buh my family say they cant smell it can people smell it??? i dont leave y house. how wil i clean my self will i use smiple soap and should i wear tamponsbut i have sensentive skin . i have been getting the clear water thing on my pants and it smells very strong but somethime i dont get that and still smell the pishy smell sorry for the langauge buh could someone please help me???
If you have to use that every three days, then it sounds like you have a bacterial imbalance down there. I've heard of home remedies for this such as inserting plain yogurt into the vagina, douching with hydrogen peroxide, taking probiotics orally and vaginally, etc etc. Personally, I've tried the probiotics thing which seemed to get rid of the fishy smell but not get rid of the sweat/sweaty smell. Rephresh sells probiotic pills, though I used probiotic pills by culturelle because I couldn't find rephresh at publix. Besides, culturelle has a higher live culture count (15 billion vs rephresh's 2.5 billion), I don't know if that plays a role in it's effectiveness but I figured it wouldn't hurt, though they do have different strains of lactobacillus. Also, many people suggested a probiotic with acidophillus culture, so you may want to do some additional research. I plan to go buy some acidophillus live culture probiotics because I only bought the culturelle out of desperation. You can use that or maybe you can try it in conjunction with the gel you're using. But I really suggest trying it both vaginally and orally. I inserted it ONCE and taken it orally EVERY day. Hope this helps and I hope it wasn't to confusing. Feel free to ask me any questions.  :) Good Luck.
I've used the customary cranberry juice cure and it does work. I always have some in the fridge! Douching isn't something I would do, period.     Also, in terms of being able to wear undies during this time, I'd go with a brand like Knock Out!. Practical and pretty too. Absorbs for light incontinence. A godsend.