Vaginal Strep in a Non Pregnant Woman
Hi,  I had been having lots of itching, burning and a brownish discharge for two weeks after a fun sex filled weekend with a boyfriend whom I only see every two months or so.  This happens often and I have always treated it as a possible yeast infeciton.  This time it didn't go away and so I saw my ob/gyn.  She took a culture and found strep B, which has nothing to do with Strep A that creates strep throat.  She said she could give me antibiotics to make it go away but then I would get a yeast infeciton from the antibiotics and then we'd have to use another cream etc.  She said just to let it ride it's course.  Now it's been three and ahalf weeks and it's better but not all healed.  Does anyone have any ideas about treating this or preventing this?  Every article on the internet has to do with Strep B in prenatal women (when it is very dangerous for the baby) and nothing about Strep B for regular women in their 40's like me :)  Thanks, I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever been treated for this disease or any doctors out there.
I too am with the rest of you, no one explains to you what happens with Strep B. They give you antibiotics and send you on your way......I had been having this burning sensation and thought oh i have yeast infection which i get not very often. I then  treated it with the normal stuff and it came back this time i had burning itching and i had noticed some yellow discharge i went to the doctor and told her to test me for the works.....well i was so certain i had something STD but she called and said i had Strep B.......What what is that? I have had 5 children all natural and never heard of that with all the years i spent in the GYN office...........so i took the abx and then the yeast meds because i then got a yeast infection. She explained to me that if it came back to see her again and she would treat my husband and me. I have had them again and decided to do more research and i came upon this site..what a huge help. I am not alone.........So now i believe that normal flora in the body starts in the digestive tract so i will be making some changes in my diet and will continue to keep everyone posted on my progress and what i have found out. God Bless you Woman out there......
I feel for all you women, this infection is awful and so intense it interferes with daily life activities.  This is my second bout of it (the last was 2 months ago) back to the PCP who did a culture, revealed Strep B and prescribed cephalexin again.  This is day 6 on antibiotics and still have little to no relief.  I have resorted to self medicating by drinking a cup of hot water with 2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar twice a day (morning and night) also doing hydrogen peroxide rinse with warm water (3 parts water 1 part hp) it stings because I am so raw from scratching like crazy for a week, but it seems to lessen the intense itching I feel.  I am desperate that I am trying anything and everything and hope to update this post with effective or ineffective methods of calming this terrible infection.  Good luck and God Bless.

I just wanted to share with you ladies what has helped me.  First and foremost, I prayed for the Lord to show me what is going on with my body and to heal me and reveal to me what changes I need to do to be a healthier person.

I'm a 46 year old fit female who has always been slim and athletic, and I thought that gave me a license to eat all the cookies, muffins, et cetera, that I wanted to eat.  So I would go kind of overboard on the junk.  That was problem number one. Problem number two was that I was also somewhat anemic from a sort of heavy monthly cycle.  Both of these things (I later figured out) have somewhat weakened my immune system.  So when I got a UTI (E coli) and received antibiotics to treat it, after the E coli was gone, Group B Strep became rampant and eventually colonized my urinary tract.

The symptoms I experienced were fatigue and this weird prickly sensation in my back.  I went back to the doctor, was given amoxicillin, took that (but still had not changed anything else in my crazy diet), and later still showed signs of severe Group B Strep in my urine.

At that point I began to really pray and do research, and I realized that I needed to make some DRASTIC changes to strengthen my immune system to fight this stupid infection, because the antibiotics did not seem to be the answer for my situation.

My research lead me to discover the benefits of Organic Coconut Oil, Garlic, Vitamin C (1000 mg), Bee Propolis, Kefir, Dandelion Root Tea, FemDophilus Probiotics, and eliminating sugar as much as possible.  

I am strengthening my immune system with the Vitamin C and an Iron supplement (for my anemia), the Bee propolis, and the Dandelion Root Tea.
And also strengthening my immune system be eating cleaner.

I am killing the bad bacteria with the Coconut oil and fresh garlic (not taken together).

And I am replacing the bad bacteria with good bacteria with the Probiotics and Kefir.

Well, it's been a few months, and I must say I really believe that I am much healthier now than I was before.  My period is lighter, my fatigue is gone, and my back twinges have left.  My at-home AZO strips no longer show leukocytes in my urine, but I still need to have a lab culture my urine to see if anything is going on.  But I really believe that I have this stupid thing under control.

Ladies, I believe that you just have to figure out how to be the healthiest person YOU can be and that you can kick this thing's butt.  The changes I had to make were not easy, and a lot of the stuff that I incorporate into my diet now took some getting used to (ingesting large amounts of garlic, coconut oil, kefir), but I will continue to do it to be healthy and not have to keep relying on poisonous ineffective antibiotics.

I will update again after I go and get my lab results.
Just to let you know how I am feeling and what i have changed. I am slowly changing my diet and have added probiotics, vitamin b12, vitamin c, vitamin d and have started a little bit of exercise and I believe the burning and itching are still present but not as intense. The vitamin b12 has given me more energy and i dont feel as down I actually have some drive back. Of course I have prayed to God to help me to heal as well and I believe it will open doors for all of us who have this issue and I will keep you all posted.
I just wanted to say that check back in and mention that Organic Coconut Oil can also be used externally as an antibacterial/antiviral. It also can be used as a personal lubricant or just overall skin softener.

My husband once had a really weird rash on his arm, and the Coconut Oil cleared it up in about four days.

I had suffered from GBS for 3 years, and I finally found a treatment that worked.  A midwife told me to put a clove of garlic cut in half in the vagina each night for 6 weeks.  I would remove the garlic in the morning.  This treatment regime has been very successful, and I would tread dental floss through the garlic to make sure that I could retrieve it.  She also recommended using it on a maintenance schedule after the problem was cleared up by taking it every third night instead of nightly.
Prescribed medications will not cure Strep B , they have been over used and misused by doctors which have created a strain of step so strong that no man made drugs can cure it.  Go back to nature and find a cure.  Garlic inserted into the vagina over night, eating lots of organic yogurt, vitamin C, echinacea, and daily sunlight.  Avoid the garlic and echinacea if you are pregnant.  Always wipe from front to back, and always clean yourself with baby wipes after every pooh.  Never let a man insert his penis into your vagina after anal sex!  You can bet this with natural remedies, have patience and help your body reset itself.  

Experience: I took prescription drugs 6 times and it only made the strep stronger.  When I started the natural remedies, I began to get better very fast.  I only have the thick white discharge one a month for less than a week.  Other then that my body functions perfectly.
OMG the same thing for me. My nurse practioner never picked up on this as it was not active when I went to see her and in her defense I alway thought it was yeast and did go in to be checked but she never tested for strep B. I was having other issues and went back to my OBGYN as I had stopped going to her because I was no longer having babies. She's the one that dx me. So she puts me on cefadroxil 500mg. Seems to go away then I do get the yeast infection and have to deal with that!!!! I asked her if I could be on a preventive to help me with this issue and she said that it was not recommended. Im so very very fustrated!!!! The strep seems to come back like every 2 months. I dont know what to do!!!
I have had steep b for about 7 months im scared nd don't know what to do. I took a weeks round of pinicillin and it.did.nothing.I am 20 years old nd have never been pregnant...all of the symptoms began about 7 months ago nd havnt gone away since..it started after having unprotected sex with a boyfriend at the time we would have sex a lot..for about two weeks..I began feeling the symptoms after the last week of us constantly having sex...I thought it could have been an std at first because its very itchy constantly nd its very pink and tender... untill I was constantly tested negative for all test..not to mention the first 3 months of having these conditions I hasn't had a period..so i thought I could possibly be pregnant but allllllllllllllll those test came back negative also....I'm very scared that this won't ever go away nd I'm young nd just want to go back to the way I was.
I am a 39 year old black female who also suffered from vaginal Group Beta Strep.   After years of dealing with bacterial vaginosis EVERY month when my period came I was finally tested for this by the nurse practitioner.  I had been tacking tindamax to treat the vaginosis.  It would clear up but come right back.  I read a study about this that said use of antibiotics within the last 30 days and women with common vaginosis and irritable vaginosis have an increased risk of group beta strep.  Anyway, after doing my research and talking with the nurse practitioner we agreed to do clindamycin cream for 7 days to clear up the group beta strep.  I also started taking Florigen 3 which is a powerful probiotic every morning on an empty stomach.  The last change I made was discontinuing my use of tampons and switching to a menstrual cup.  This is the first time in over 3 years i have been bacteria FREE after my period.  I hope this post helps someone.  I will say that my doctor told me that black women respond to clindamycin better than other vaginal anitibiotics.  I hope this helps someone out there.
You MUST read "the body ecology diet" by donna gates!  It will change your life!
I was also diagnosed with group b strep during my pregnancy. I never heard of this before until I got pregnant.  Well it has been a nightmare ever since with vagina infections and urinary tract infections. Vaginal infections consisted of severe burning of the vulva skin.  I have seen several doctors including obgyn specialists, urologists, infectious disease doctors and they have all told me that group b strep has no side effects. I beg to differ.  Some even told me that it was in my head and to take up yoga classes.  I personally think a lot of doctors are not knowledgeable on this subject. I have been on several different antibiotics and none have worked so far. This is what has worked for me so far. The doctor that delivered my baby is the only one willing to work with me on this issue. He prescribed me penicillin V, vaginal boric acid suppositories, and told me to take a probiotic, vit c tablet, and insert Rephresh vaginal gel (this can be bought over the counter like Walgreen.  It helps with balancing vaginal ph). I am prone to getting yeast infections while on antibiotics so my doctor will prescribe me diflucan.  So far I have gone for two checks and both of the cultures came back negative for group b strep. I have tried all the home remedies like garlic, apple cider vinegar, etc and none have worked for me.  For almost a year now, I have been dealing with this and for once I have been symptom free. I am 33 years old and never had any vaginal issues until I got pregnant. Not sure if this is because of the bodies chemical changes due to my pregnancy.
Hello, Ladies:

I just wanted to share with you something that has helped me tremendously.  There is a product that is 100% Allicin Powder in capsule form that has been the final piece of the puzzle for me.  

I tried using regular garlic, and it helped, but you really have to ingest more garlic than is humanly possible to get the total benefits.

Anyway, if you google Allimax or Allican Max you can find this product.  I paid about $35.00 for 90 caplets at 180 mg strength each.  I took ten a day (they are really small) and after nine days I really felt fantastic.

Also, if you google the words "allicincure," you will find a wonderful blog on squidoo that describes in detail how beneficial this garlic cure is for all kinds of bacterial infections.

I shared with you most of my story on April 5, 2012.  I just wanted to come back and tell you about this last thing that I believe can help you all.  I'm feeling great, and I hope that you all are doing better as well.
I meant "Allicin Max" not Allican.
I've done 600 mg antibiotics for 7 days, vinegar douch, 2 rounds of yeast creams, wheat grass douches, and My gyn in LA says he's having great results with internally swabbing the vagina with betadyne.  So far (2 weeks) no itching.  Also, I rinse with only water before bedtime and sleep without restricting pants.  When showering, I use baby soap ... So pray this works.

My gyn also says that prior to having unprotected sex, both of us should shower (especially if he's uncircumcised).  Men don't have symptoms because of their exposure as opposed to our "enclosure".  StrepB breeds in warm, moist areas
So happy for this forum too.  All insights and information is so helpful.  Since June I've been fighting this StrepB yuck with antibiotics, probiotics, wheatgrass douches and betadyne swabs.  Nothing's worked until now.  I've got a fab female gyn who's put me on 3 T of hydrogen peroxide, 5 drops of pure lavender oil to 1 litre douch 2 times daily and a compound Rx acidophilus-lactobacillus inserted every other night.  It's been 2 weeks and so far, so good. but haven't finished the routine of douching daily which is probably what's stopping the itch and smell.  Eliminating sugar is a definite key to internal health too.  It's hard, but so is being in a good mood while itching, smelling and discharging  Really want this method to work.  I'll report back a month after treatment ends.
Hi Relliebellie and all other sufferers

I am so glad I have found this site.

I have been suffering with vaginal discharge problems now for over 12 years. I have been treated for thrush, bacterial Vaginosis, UTI's etc. I have a yellow discharge but no real smell I can describe.
When I was pregnant, 10 years ago, I was told I had strep group B, for which I had antibiotics during labour. It was only today, after another visit back to the doctors and another swab, that I remembered the strep B.(I will be calling the nurse tomorrow to ask if she will be testing for this)

I have also suffered with Tinnitus for as many years and was very interested when I read your comment. Has anyone linked the 2 conditions together?

I am no longer with my husband as our relationship was strained with the lack of sex, mainly down to me as it caused so many problems after. I have lost my confidence in that department now and would love to be free of all symptoms and live a normal, sexually active life again.

I have looked at all of your advise and will be listing through them to see what I can try (not sure about inserting the garlic though)

Good luck to you all and I hope that doctors and nurses start taking this seriously as I have found out, I am not alone.
I have just been reading all these comments and they all sound like me! Ive had problems with thrush for many years now and back in 2008 I was told by my doctor I had GBS. She said that it was an underlying problem that would'nt effect me but I should mention it to a midwife if I was to become pregnant. The thrush returned many times over the years but did'nt think too much of it as it was always controlled by canesten cream.

This year in April 2012, I had a baby. I mentioned to my midwife before giving birth that I had GBS but was told it didnt matter as I did'nt contract it in pregnancy. Before I gave birth I was diagnosed with high blood pressure and pre-eclamspia for which I was given a emergency caesarean. Since having my baby I have had numerous infections in my scar and extreme stomach pains. Two weeks ago the thrush returned and the doctor gave me canestan cream and pessary which didnt help. She then prescribed me Penicillin. I have severe itching, burning and stinging sensation. Also I have started getting lower back ache and sometimes leg aches and recently stomach cramps.

I was wondering if anyone else had these symptons after having an emergency caesarean and if they could be linked? Or is it just purely the GBS? Any comments would be helpful.
My main symptom currently from strep B vaginal infection is extremely painful sex. Having taken amoxicillin for 10 days (high dose twice a day) which didn't work, then bactrim ds (double strength) for another 10days, I still cannot have sex without a lot of pain. My doctor cannot understand why the strep B isn't going away and just swabbed me again but I know the culture will still show Strep B. I have previously had the other symptoms of discharge, itching, stinging etc., but those seem under control. It's possible that hormonal changes are a contributing factor since I'm just starting menopause, but desperate to get my sex life back with my husband of 33 years! Any comments and ideas will be appreciated.
Try Bifidophilus Flora Force by Natures Sunshine.  After only two days of inserting the capsules in the vagina overnight all of my GBS symptoms were gone.  I had suffered from GBS for many years and this product finally provided some relief.  It has the probiotic Casei that they have used in Italy to help resolve vaginal imbalance problems in women.
I have been battling this for four months now.  I had a severe asthma attack in May and was put on cortisone inhalers and steroid pills for a month.  Two weeks after finishing the treatment I came down with UTI (e.coli) for which I was given antibiotics.  Three weeks after that I was diagnosed with Strep B (algalactaie) in my urinary tract.  Judging by how horrendous I felt (back pain, extreme nausea, fatigue) I imagine it was elsewhere in my body too.  The gyn prescribed another round of antibiotics plus an antibiotic cream to insert in my vagina.  Then about three weeks ago I felt another UTI coming on, called the gyn and he had me come in.  This time he did a swab of my uterus and also outside of my vagina where the worst itching was.  The results were strep B in my vagina now.  My husband (nor I) can't even touch me now, I feel absolutely raw.  So I was given another round of amoxicillin for three days and then after that started myself on boric acid suppositories 1 capsule twice a day and the pharmacist gave me a spray of rosewater to squirt on every time I urinate or when I feel the itch coming on.  I am feeling better after 10 days of the boric acid and three days of the rosewater but not great.  I still feel raw and itchy at times.  Am I on the right track?  I see that I really must cut sugar out, I am practically addicted to it.  But at this point I am pretty desperate.
Hi All, I've been dealing with GBS vaginitis for a few years.  A garlic cure helped me once.  I'm wondering if any of you have had fertility problems.  I recently had two chemical pregnancies and just wondered if it might be related to my GBS vaginitis.   I recently tried a 2 and 1/2 week course of 1000 mg per day Keflex but as usual, symptoms came right back after the antibiotics stopped.  I think I will try the Allicin combined with other supplements people have suggested above, plus the garlic protocol, which I found here:

http://www.gentlebirth.org/archives/gbsCohain.html

I tried this once for a relapse (after a course of antibiotics) and it actually worked, but the next time I tried it it did not work as well.  Wondering if combining with some of the supplements (bee propolis etc) to boost immune system might be good, plus Allicin.  

Would love to hear of others' experience with garlic vaginally --how long did you use it,  did you "nick" it to release the juices-- and whether successful or not .  

One very interesting article I found said that " Lactobacillus plantarum has shown the strongest activity against GBS strains. " Here is the full abstract  http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/20873488

So maybe best to try to get probiotics that have that strain of Lactobacillis.   Have any of you tried using probiotics vaginally?  Was it successful?  Which brands?
I ahve been dealing with this since my first C-Section in 2004.  I had no idea what it was until last year when I tested positive for GBS.  I found an OB who said she knew a ton about it and would help me to live a happy pain free life.  She gave me Clindamycin 300mg to take for a week to clear it and another set to take after sex each time.  It did the job for a while but it is not only sex.. it is going to the Gym, some pools, sex, sports so sweat is the key thing here.  I went back to her yesteday in tears saying is there something I can take each day to help?  Her answer.....PROZAC!!!  This must be in your head because GBS does not cause pain!  WHAT???  Burning and itching all the time is pain to me I stay in bed on days and think if only I could sit on hot coles to kill this...don't tell me thats not pain.  I am only 34 and so sad to think I have to love with this forever :(
OMG... WHAT WOULD WE DO WITHOUT COMPUTERS????? THESE DOCTORS DO NOT KNOW SH*T... about GBS I WENT TO THE DR FOR OVER 3YRS...I was orignially treated for BV but I noticed a funky musty smell.. a few hourt after I had showered which was not normal... at first I went off on my partner assuming he was cheating.. admitly i had anal sex with no condom...and then vaginal sex.. nasty right... well I was in my 20's so it was okay to be a dumb n nasty a** anyway finally recently recently being within the last week after getting... the ol pat on the back from Dr.'s saying that they could not smell anything.. and taking that crappie...white chalkie pill for BV and having the funk of a 1000 years return..while im on the biotic...i went crazy.. seriously I wanted to kill myself y couldnt I just have herps or gono... dude y do I have to STANK!!!!!!! I am going to try to CUT OUT SUGER AND DOUCHE WITH PORIXDE if that does not wk I will try bleach... I cant take it.. over all I do believe that we need to watch the yeast..i.e. suger and porixde kills everything remember we have good bacteria as well so I dont want to make that a routine but... then again... DONT LISTEN TO YOUR DR.... I just tried to Porixde today and it knocked it out so far... Im not taking the rest of the pills because I am afraid of not having a live when Im 50...
HELP! I have been struggling with Strep A  - crazy itching. usually I get it 1 to 3 times a year for the last 3 or 4 years. Go to dr. - get my anti biotics - its gone all is good. Now we are moving into a new phase - I have had this for over 2 months - anti bitotics helped but it came back so we are ona 2nd round - what in the world is going on with my body - I am about to lose my mind!
I just went to the cleveland clinic and the doctor prescribed me a compound cream with bactroban and penicillin. I finally have my life back.  No more burning. I have been dealing with GBS over a year now since I had my son via c-section. I have been to several doctors and been on several different anitbiotics. Most doctors do not know how to treat symtomatic GBS.  I had to go to the clinic. This cream is what worked for me. GBS is a terrible thing to have if you are symptomatic but finding out what works for you is the key to feeling better.
i love coconut oil !
Hi Disney18,
It seems that I am in the same boat as you were. Who did you see at the Cleveland Clinic? I need to see them as well.
Thanks so much for your post. I have been dealing with this for 7 months and I too just want to get my life back.
Thanks!
I've had ... yes HAD ... this for about one year, on and off and I found an amazing female doctor who practices both natural and Rx remedies.  The method that CURED me ... thank God, I'm free of this bug ... is dushing 2 times daily with 4 cups warm water, 3 Tblsp Hydrogen Peroxide and 5 drops of pure lavender oil for 6 weeks.  Not only does it immediately relieve the itching but the odor is absolutely gone immediately.  For the past 8 months, I've been clear and clean.  Be well ladies ... take are of yourselves.
No, it's not forever.  My dr perscribed douching 2 times daily with 4 cups warm water, 3 Tblsp Hydrogen Peroxide, 5 drops pure lavender oil ... I'm cured, after 2 years of on and off Strep B.  Apparently we women have another thing to deal with, but the douching remedy works ... take care of yourself
douching 2 times daily with 4 cups warm water, 3 Tblsp Hydrogen Peroxide and 5 drops pure lavender oil ... I'm cured and soooooo happy.
please see my posts about non Rx remedy that works ... absolutely works ... what a relief
I saw Dr. Trabin. He is located at the clinic in Weston, Florida. He knew exactly what was going on with me. He has helped me so much. I am finally getting my life back. Let me know how you make out. Good luck!!!
the boyfriend did not have to go.  You and your boyfriend needed  to get treated together regardless if he had symptoms.  He was exposed and eventhough, he had no symptoms, he gave it back to you.
Sorry, just saw this website.
I am a nurse practitioner, if my pt has a recurring yeast infection, I will treat the partner.
Ladies,
I just wanted to chime in and offer an alternative GBS treatment that worked for me. Keep in mind I am not pregnant so anyone pregnant should keep that in mind. I had been unknowingly suffering from GBS for a few years. Finally I got a new GYN who decided to culture me to see what was going on and I came back GBS positive. I was first happy to just finally have identified the cause of my symptoms. She wanted to put me on antibiotics and I didn't want to take them. So I went online and started doing research on alternative remedies. So I created a regimen to follow and I will lay it out here simply. You can adjust the times to fit your schedule but basically you are taking something every 3-4 hours.

EXTREMELY IMPORTANT -- Step 1 -- Eliminate sugar as much as possible from your diet. The bacteria feeds on the sugar in your body so you want to starve it. If you don't do this, the rest won't work as well.

Then follow the following regimen for 2 weeks

10am - Bee Propolis capsule + 1 Tbsp Organic Coconut Oil
11am Vitamin C (500mg) + Vitamin D (1000 i.u.) + Echinacea (tincture 40 drops) + 3 Garlic Cloves
12pm - 3 Garlic Cloves + 1 cup Kefir + 1 Probiotic capsule

2pm - 1 cup kefir + Garlic cloves
3pm - Vit C + Vit D + Echinacea + Garlic Cloves
4pm - 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil

6pm - 1 cup Kefir + Garlic
7pm - Vit C + Vit D + Echinacea + Garlic Cloves
8pm - Probiotic + 1 cup Kefir + Garlic Cloves

10pm - Bee Propoplis + 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil
11pm - Vit C + Vit D + Echinacea + Garlic Cloves
12am - Probiotic capsule + 1 cup kefir + 3 Garlic Cloves

At Bedtime, after a shower, apply coconut oil topically to your vaginal opening area and labia

You should start to see improvement after about a week to a week in a half.  I got cultured and did this process for 3 weeks until my next appointment. I got cultured again and was negative and everything was all normal.
I was so relieved! This madness went on for years and drove me crazy and wreaked havoc on my psyche and relationship. And I was able to cure it without antibiotics in 2 weeks. (My appointment wasn't for 3 weeks so I just kept the regimen going until I got retested but I think you should be fine after 2 weeks.)

Helpful tips: You can get all these things at your local health food store or order them online. L. Plantarum is the probiotic strain that has shown to be the most effective against GBS so get a probiotic capsule that contains that. Nature's Sunshine makes a good one.
If your coconut oil solidifies, warm it up a little and gulp it down fast.
Also, keep a positive attitude. Do what makes you feel good, shave your legs, get your sexy back. Its important to feel good in mind because it will affect your body. You can beat this thing. Yes this isn't the easiest thing to do but it DOES work and it DID work for me. And it doesn't require you putting anything INSIDE of your vagina. I hope that this helps other women out there going through the same issue.
Has anyone considered peri menopause since most complaining are in their 40,s.   after reading about hormone changes and majority if symptoms this best explains y any itis or infection can take over.   Just a civilian thought backed by only one nurse practitioner but my gut feels this is truly the cause
Hi SheilaM1965, I've read through so many of these posts and I was particularly interested in the things you did to get better. I've been suffering from a strep b infection for probably a year if not longer. Every time I went to the doc about it, they treated me for a yeast infection. A few years ago the test did show yeast so I got treated for that with the Flucanozole and it seemed to kind of get better but not entirely. Then I went back several months later because it was getting bad again and they didn't even test me just sent me home with a prescription for Nystatin and Flucanozole...anyways long story short, after being treated for yeast several times, I finally was just miserable because my symptoms were worse, not improving at all and so I finally kept going back to my doctor to tell her it's not better. So this last time she did a full vaginal culture and I tested positive for the strep infection. She has me on a Penicillin antibiotic right now and I'm almost near the end of it. It seemed to get better initially but today the itching is back and the burning and I just feel hopeless. After reading about the things you have been doing with your diet and the other things you have taken I was just wondering if I could ask  you some more questions. I hope you're still checking this forum. Are you now better and cured? With the organic coconut oil, did you use that inside? How often did you use it? I just was hoping to get some more details about what you did. I'm just miserable and I just want to cry. Please be out there...

Sorry it took me a while to get back with you.  I just happened to check the forum today to see if anyone was still posting.

To answer your questions, I do not know if I am 100% "cured," because I still have not gotten around to getting another urinalysis.  But I do still feel really, really good.

I believe that my group b strep problem was higher up, more like a urinary tract infection, because I never had pain or itchiness or tingling in my vagina.  I had prickly sensations and flank pain more in my mid and left back area.  I also felt really fatigued.

I do still use Organic Virgin Coconut oil internally and vaginally, though.  My husband and I use it as a lubricant before intercourse, and I also use it sometimes in my cooking or just to ingest a spoonful because of its health benefits.

I think in my case eating healthier, minimizing good-for-nothing sugar (pastries, cookies, soda, etc.,) taking probiotics, incorporating OVCO, and using the Allicin continually for 40 days really made a difference in my fight against Group B Strep.

Do I think OVCO would help someone who has Group B Strep vaginally?  I think it probably would.  Something else that you might want to try is inserting collodial silver vaginally.  A young lady on another health board recently posted that she had tremendous success with that.  I will include her story below.  

But if you can afford the Allicin, I really think that you should give that a try if the other two suggestions do not work for you.  I took 1800 mg a day for 40 days.  I felt better after about 10 days, but I continued to take it so that I could be sure to get the full benefits.  The one I bought was from the UK, but they don't sell it anymore.  But there is another company called Drherbalnaturals.com that sells Allimed which is the same stuff.  But try the Coconut Oil or Collodial Silver first because those are both reasonably priced and easier to locate.

Anyway, below is the story I said I would share that I read on a womenshealth board:

"Hello, I am 23 years old and I have had a terrible case of group b strep for about 6 months. I went to my doctor because I was having pain with sex, a tingly feeling in my pelvic region, and abnormal, snotty discharge (sorry too much info). She diagnosed me with group b strep and gave me amoxicillin for ten days. It didn't help at all, but she decided to give it to me for another ten days, and of course, that did not help either. Then I went to my OBGYN, and she gave me Augmentin, which did not help either. Apparently, my group b strep was resistant to antibiotics. Anyways, I went back to my OBGYN, and she said that some of her patients swear by colloidal silver, and she suggested it for me. I just bought it at a pharmacy, and they sell it in bottles at health food stores, as well. I bought a bottle with a dropper on it, and three times a day I would put three droppers full into my body vaginally. This literally gave me relief after three days. She told me to continue for a week or ten days, and I stopped after a week and everything was so much better! I have had sex after using it, and I do not have any pain at all, and I am so happy! If you have tried antibiotics and they are not working, I strongly suggest trying this. I hope this helped someone. Good luck."
A few months ago I had a Group B Strep UTI which was treated with antibiotics and my urine has been clean since. But since then, I've been dealing with a clear and at times, heavy vaginal discharge.

There were times I felt swollen, irritated and had a slight tickle/itch inside on the back wall of my vagina, but sex has never been uncomfortable.

After the last time my gyno tested me for BV, yeast, HSV, Trich, Chlamydia, Gonnorhea (all neg. AGAIN) he sent me to a urologist. The urologist figured my urine would come back positive again for GBS (negative) so he prescribed Augmentin for 14 days. The odor and irritation went away immediately but I still have this heavy, sometimes milky, non-odorous discharge. I also have an ache that I felt a lot in the beginning but rarely now inside my vagina on the side that will radiate into my inner thighs. Sometimes after I urinate I notice white clumps in the toilet.

Is it possible that GBS has colonized in my vagina because it was in my urine? Is there a specific test for GBS? Would the "Monster" test, as my Gyno calls it, pick up GBS or is it a different test?

I'm so over this.

Ladies, I've often wondered what we all could possibly have in common.  Why did we get Group B Strep?

Well, one thing that I know about myself (in addition to all of the other posts that I've shared), is that I am Vitamin D deficient.  I spend at least an hour in the sun five days a week, yet my bloodwork showed that my Vitamin D was only 30.8.  The range from most labs is 30 to 100, but optimally one should be between about 50 to 70 for good health.

Anyway, if you search the subject of the importance of Vitamin D, you will see that it plays an important role in so many aspects of our health, including our ability to fight infectious diseases.

Ladies, please get your Vitamin D levels tested.  Perhaps this will help you to fight this stupid bacteria. The correct test is 25(OH)D, also called 25-hydroxyvitamin D.

And if you do find that your Vitamin D level is low, the best form to take is Vitamin D3, which is a fat soluble vitamin that is best absorbed when taken with a little oil or milk or cheese or peanut butter.  Also, Vitamin D works in conjunction with magnesium and Vitamin K.

Don't just take Vitamin D if you don't need it, but definitely get your level tested to find out.
hi i'm 26, a mother of three and it sounds like everything I went though since I was 16. from 16 to about 21 I DID NOT have strep b but I was getting bv and yeast infections every month  more like every week I cried and was at the gyno so much they got sick of seeing me and I changed gynos. best thing I ever did. my last gyno told me that he though pads and tampons fibers get into the vagina and cause infection so they best thing to do was the shot over time it took my period away, that helped out so much but what really helped was the new gyno she told me to try using no thongs because she sees many girls who has terrible infection from them they side from your butt to your vagina spreading bacteria when you move around... yumm right your never going to wear a thong again lol . then she told me to use cedaphil( not sure if you spell it like that) but its a bar of soap you can find in the acne section. and also to use  non scented laundry soap  it WORKED AFTER I STARTED BUYING THE BAR OF SOAP I WAS GOOD I MAYBE GOT A YEAST ONCE A YEAR SINCE changing soaps in the shower. . THE PILL TO CURE YEST INFECTION ISNT AS GOOD I NORMALY NEED TOO IF IT WORKS, ASK THE DOCTOR FOR THE CREAM ITS NO FUN AND MUCH LONGER BUT WORKS BETTER. I ALSO FOND YOU NEED TO THINK POSITIVE I'M NOT KIDDING AROUND I COULD MAKE MY VAGAINA HURT BECAUSE I BECAME SO WORRIED I COULDNT TELL WHAT WAS NORMAL. good luck.......
now I have been told this week I have strep b i'm worried  because i'm not sure what this means I don't have any burning really at all maybe a small itch but not really I went because i'm cramping after sex that last for a day and it hurts my cervix during sex. this is new and I've bee with my husband for 8 years  so nothing has changed. I recently had a baby through C-section after my appendix ruptured two times from more bad doctors! could this be why ? the doctor said lots of ppl have it and that they don't treat it, that wouldn't be whats making me cramp, but then why do I cramp now I have never had strep b and now I have it and at the same time getting cramps after sex? would I of had it while I was pregnant or beore?
no std  
omg I just thought I was reading my own life! So in February of 2012 I started having a major issue which I BELIEVED was yeast infection, the gyn told me it was a bacterial infection and then I was later diagnosed with group b strep and a reoccurring BV infection! I started doing research to find out why the anti-biotics were not working. So after all my research I started buying pro-biotics ( the highest count they have) I started taking those 2 a day and I bought rephresh PH balance and took one of those a day (but I don't think the rephresh played much part in helping) on top of that I slept with a garlic clove in my under wear ( there's also ways to insert them in you which maybe be more effective) But I started bathing with 3 cups of apple cider vinegar and when in the shower I'd sit on the tub floor and I directly poor it on the vaginal area, yes it stung a little but I'm sure your all too familiar with pain down there. So I did these things routinely and a month or so later I had an appointment with a specialist who specializes in vaginal infections (http://www.drexelmedicine.org/patient-services/obstetrics-and-gynecology/vaginitis-center/......This is the link where I found him) and they said that they could not find anything but a little yeast which was normal. Now almost a year later from when it started I feel good and I still use apple cider vinegar faithfully, especially around period time. I hope this helps and if you like more ideas you can contact me just send me your email and I'll exchange personal info with you! Hope you get better!!!!
oh yea and I used non scented laundry detergent and soap and I do clean the inside of my vagina I only use water! Sounds gross my GYN told me that she suggest only cleaning with water to women who have an odor problem because soaps really irritate you PH  
I am a married 53 year old menopausal woman and was diagnosed in Feb. 2013 with Vaginal Group B Streptococcus. My doctor prescribed me Dalacin to insert daily for 10 days. The relieve lasted 2 months and now it's back. It seems to come and go, very frustrating considering I never even heard of this before. I read all the comments on this forum and I'm going to look into the Natures Sunshine Bifidophilus Flora Force. Thank you to all you women for sharing your struggles, like alot of you said "you're not alone".
Good luck to all of you and thanks for reading my post.
This makes me happy and sad at the same time. Mine started a month an a half ago, I've taken two rounds of antibiotics and two rounds of dyflucain. My initial infection starred during a really abnormal period. It was Brown and watery. The discharge (yellow) started on day three. I thought great, another yeast infection. I have the merina implant. So I did the 5 day treatment over the counter. The discharge got so bad, I thought I had an std too. Which would have meant my boyfriend cheated on me, since my last full came back neg. The discharge doesn't smell and ranged from a milky yellow to a greyish green. Of course you look things u p online and its always an std. Went in to my . Primary care Dr and she said it looked like BV and . A yiest infection. So she prescribed me a gel, and a 10 day course of dyflucain. The discharge lightened up as significantly, but then cane right back, the test results showed strepptococcus b. She prescribed me a 5 day course of penicillin and told me to follow up. Well I'm allergic to reflex and ceklor,pretty much all the cephlasporain family, so I was not surprised I got a yeist infection day three. Day 4, they called in another dyflucain. Day 5, dine with the penicillin. Day 6, take the dyflucain. Day 7, in Urgent cafe covered in hives. Best part, the steroids can cause yeist infections. Ugh!!!!! I can not win. My Dr said to make a follow up with a gynecologist. Well see what they can do.
Month an a half, and its been a neightmare.

On the diet thing, I'm going back to strict paleo. I just started eating sugars and gluten again (stress), and this happens. I can't do dairy being lactose intolerant, so that's one less thing to worry about.

I'm glad I'm not alone. I'll keep you posted.
I am now negative for Vaginal Strep B. I went gluten free on breads, pasta and drink only pure cranberry juice, 8 fl oz every morning, cut out sweets, taking Renew 50 Billion Probiotics for Vaginal Support 1x day, Astro BioBest Probiotic Plan Yogurt. So now the doctor thinks I have Bacterial Vaginosis . I'm thinking I might have Desqaumative Inflammatory Vaginits. So I got rid of the Vaginal Strep B and now have a different bacteria/infection, very frustrating!!!
Sincerely,
Virginia 30303
I was misdiagnosed for the past two years. Doctors kept treating me for having a group b strep infection when the whole time I had something different. I decided to go to a different doctor because the vulva pain kept coming back. I knew I had something different even though the lab tests kept coming back group b strep positive. The new doctor I went to said the vulva pain wasn't group b strep related in fact I ended up being diagnosed with liken sclerosus.  I am also hypothyroid and positive for thyroid antibodies which maybe the culprit for me having this.  The reason why this was probably overlooked by doctors because I am in my mid-thirties and usually women don't get this until later in life. The new  doctor gave me the right cream to treat this and I am finally cured. Good luck to all and I hope you find out what is the right diagnosis for your pain and discomfort.
I forgot to mention in my previous post that I went to several doctors and had to find a doctor who thinks outside the box. This doctor was willing to rule everything out to find the cause and just didn't go on my positive group b strep lab result. If a doctor is not familiar with liken sclerosus and what it looks like it can very easily misdiagnosed.
I think I am finally on top on vaginal Strep B.It wasn't easy!  For comfort, I douched with Yin Care. But the most important advice I followed was washing myself with a vaginal wipe, which was ph balanced, each time I had a bowel movement. Some smart lady online wrote, "if I pooped in my hand I would wash it, so why not wash myself down there after I go?" Also important, I lined, and still do now, my cotton underwear with a mini pad liner to absorb any moisture. Those two things made my ph balance get back in line. I'm fine now. But to all of you suffering, I feel your pain. Antibiotics did not work for me. I did also take probiotics though I do believe the above two steps were what finally got rid of it for me. Good luck!
Excuse me, but I don't understand if this type of medication if prescribed to be taken orally? Then how can it be inserted into the vagina overnight.
What kind of vaginal wipes did you use?
I use the applicators that come with the yeast medication sold in the drugstore.
Can group b strep be transmitted to your sexual partner? Can your sex partner get it from someone else and then give it to you?
Would you please share the name of your gyno who treated you for beta strep? I live in LA but having no success finding a doctor who can help with this craziness. Have tried probiotics, antibiotic Keflex (allergic to penicillin), nothing helps :-(
Thanks very much for any input you can offer. Hope you're doing much better.
It has been years for me since I posted on here about having GBS and I have been doing fine at 53, but I have Strep B again after being on 3 weeks of doxycycline for Lyme.  At first the Dr. in the office thought it was yeast and put me on a 3 day dose of Terconazole Vaginal Cream .8% which actually helped lessen the itching.  But when we found out it was Strep B again from the culture, they put me on a 7 day dose of clindamyacin which so far has not helped by day 2 at all and the itching is worse over a week later.  I had to wait until my Dr. was back in the office to prescribe boric acid tablets that are compounded at the pharmacy that I will insert at night to help to align the PH.  That plus taking a probiotic helped the last time, although I have been taking a probiotic the whole time anyway since being on the doxy.  I would agree about cutting down on the sugar, drinking as much water as possible, watching the fat intake and letting as much air get to the area through a hair dryer after showering and no underwear at night as well.  Sometimes the pads exacerbate the problem, but the panti liners are usually OK. I hope that this works as the last time it took a long time to clear this up and using the Estrogen cream they prescribed made me have extreme moodiness, so I stopped that the last time they tried it.  Now I am in the middle of menopause as well and not menstruating which seemed to have given some relief in the past.  Menopause adds another dimension to it all.....Will keep you posted...With all of us sufferers of all ages, I still don't understand why when you Google vaginal strep B, the Mayo Clinic and everyone else still are only  concerned about pregnant women and they are not researching what can help us...Now they are saying having it over age 65 makes people more susceptible to other health issues...God please help us all!
Hi!  I just want to know how you are today?  My symptoms are not getting any better and i have been like this for 6 1/2 months now.  Do you still have symptoms?  Did you get rid of the strep b?  My doctors don't believe it gives symptoms, so they say I have vulvodynia, but that doesn't explain my discharge and how it always itches and burns me, not too mention everyday and sex is so painful..please respond, I am trying to find some answers..
Hi I am from the LA area too and have been dealing with strep b for 6 months.. still miserable with all of the burning and itching.  Have you found a doctor who believes in strep b being symptomatic.  Everyone i have seeing don't believe  it has symptoms.  It doesn't explain why i have a clear specked discharge and burning and itching 24-7.  I can never have sex because it's so painful.. just want to know if you have found anything to help?
please tell us what you did and how the doctor helped. phone number of your doctor? thanks
i am very worried  i found out i have strep B found out a week ago i then noticed i then start to bleed during sex i phone the doctors and they told me i had to take a weeks course of penicillin and if i coutinue to bleed during sex phone them back and get checked  should i be worried, I am also on the pill can someone please help is this normal.
I got Strep B back in Feb. of this year due to taking an antibiotic that completely depleted my immune system.  At first I thought it was bv, but I didn't have that fishy smell everyone was complaining about.  I finally discovered Strep B and realized this must be it.  I didn't want to go to a doctor because that's what caused it in the first place and everyone on here has said it hasn't helped anyway.

I looked up every remedy there was and finally got rid of it in June.  I had gotten rid of the symptoms a couple of times before that, but as soon as I got my period, they would come back.  But, since June, I haven't had any problems at all and my body feels completely back to normal.

Here's what I did:

Soaked a tampon in diluted hydrogen peroxide and inserted for a few hours to clean everything out.
At night, inserted a clove of slitted garlic vaginally and took out in morning.  (only do this for a few days.  I overdid it one time and ended up burning my skin)
I tried applying yogurt around the outside area, but I found coconut oil worked better for me.  I read some people that ate it as well.
Eat as many probiotics as possible.  I ate yogurt which is rich in acidophilus, drank kombucha about 5 times a week and ate frozen kefir.   I also took a liquid probiotic  called inner-eco which is a dairy-free kefir.
I started taking 500mg of Vitamin C daily to boost my immune system along with a capsule mixture of echinacea and golden seal.  (you can only take the second one 3 weeks a month or your body will buld up a resistance to it).
I also cut back on sugar as best as I could and have continued to do so.  I still take the probiotic and vitamins also.

This has helped me tremendously and I hope it will work for some you ladies.  Such a horrible thing to deal with.  I'm lucky I had such an understanding husband who was patient and extremely helpful in getting my health back.  Good luck to you!
hey- I was diagnoised with a uti after three sets of antibiotics i was diagnosed with strep B- ugh nothing helped the pressure. I then went to Vit C, probotics,garlic and coconut oil- am feeling better in less than 2 days. I doubled and tripled the doses at first and am now tappering off to twice a day.
Great to hear that you are feeling better! It is amazing what natural cures can do.

I hope that your body continues to heal and that Strep B issues become only a memory.

I'm still feeling great myself and am so thankful that I was able to beat it without relying on doctors and antibiotics.
I am 35 years old and have been dealing with GBS since I was 20.  Finally I discovered that according to Traditional Chinese Medicine the genitalia is controlled by the liver.  For women the liver (see Nan Lu, OMD, MS, LAc) is the most important function of the body.  I have been able to be completely free of any symptoms because of acupuncture treatment... no funky suppositories or anything.  I must keep a clean diet (no processed carbs, no sugars and properly prepared grains.  see Nourishing Traditions by Sally Fallon.)  It makes me sad that so many are suffering.  Life is meant to bring joy so let us do this right... for everyone's sake!
Hello everyone, what sort of symptoms do you get with strep b?

I have had symptoms for over 3 months, started with what seemed like typical thrush, treated but not resolved which has never happened before and I have fluctuated between sore, itchy, dishcargey and pain with sex, I have good days and bad days but to be honestI have not had a symptom free day for 3 months so I'm going mad.

I have tested negative for thrush 4 times and have no STIs. My partner is also suffering from a red but not particularly sore tip of his penis. I initially thought some sort of nerve damage for me but its going to take time to get checked with a specialist, in the meantime the thing that makes me think it might not be nerve pain is my partner's red penis under the foreskin despite he also being negative for STIs, the clinic gave him antifungal cream which has calmed things but not fully improved after 2 weeks, any sex or foreplay inflames it again. I feel uncomfortable if too hot down there and sore to touch, sex has been a disaster.

Any list of symptoms would be greatly appreciated. I don't really itch any more despite doing so at d beginning and pain is focused at the entrance of my vagina. I don't have particular redness, just soreness and discomfort. Please help :)
Oh yes and no UTI but painful around urethra area?
Hi!  Thank you for your post. Was the cream applied topically or inserted?  Do know the exact portions of the medicine?  I'd love to share the information with my doctor.
I too have found relief by inserting a garlic clove into my vagina at night.  I have been dealing with GBS on and off since I was 25 (I'm now 31) and while in the past, the infection usually cleared up on it's own, lately I've been experiencing symptoms for weeks at a time.  I've tried several homeopathic remedies such as grapefruit seed oil supplements, super Echinacea, colloidal silver, ph basic, etc but the garlic seems to give me the most relief.  I just hope I don't have to continue using garlic for months and months.  It gives me a horrible taste in my mouth and I smell like garlic when I sweat. YUK!
Does anyone know how long I should keep using the clove method?
WOW, just did a search with my signs and symptoms.  Part of me feels better knowing others have had the same problems, but yet feel bad, that we all have had such a battle with infirmity.  So after reading most of the postings, I made a list of everything that worked for you.  I could give the LONG story, but am choosing not to.  
Thank you to everyone,
OH!  Though I see a natural, homeopathic doctor/female
http://www.newbhc.com/about/dr-patricia-deckert-d-o/
my first visit was with a male practioneer who over the course of 3 months prescribed 3 different antiobiotics for a UTI.  
next office visit  saw Dr. Patricia   she gave me a prescription after doing a quick identity under the microscope and gave me capsules to put into organic yogurt, as well as garlic.  helped but ..........
then a nurse practioneer got me some monistat and probiotics, and that helped
THEN and now went back to New Beginnings health care and they found out it was not what they thought before but a strep b infection vaginally. Now all of a sudden today the burning is increasing.  So here I am listing and not to going to stop after a week or two.  Guess I need to finish or keep taking suppliments etc until further notice.  TY
Hi all,

I am 24 and pretty fit and very healthy. I have been struggling with a vulval dermatitis for a year now, and recurrent yeast infections that come about before my period, or whenever I'm even slightly at risk there (tight pants, moisture etc). I spent the past year attempting a Candida diet to solve the problem, but after many months of keeping a food log and cutting out sugar religiously, I had to conclude that the diet wasn't solving the problem. I then relaxed with the diet (though still ate well) and thought, maybe this is just a dermatitis, and it's not due to an infection. I tried treating the area with hydrocortisone, coconut oil, waxeline (a natural version of vaseline made with beeswax), but they either never worked long-term, or they made it worse. The coconut oil and waxeline in particular trapped moisture in the area, and I had flare ups of yeast whenever I used too much. I have to conclude that dermatitis is not the only issue.
I did get cultured back in April or May by a Gyno who told me I had Group B Strep, but she told me I needed to go on antibiotics, so I didn't really follow through with her (I was afraid the antibiotics would make the yeast worse, and/or wreak havoc on my body). I did some research and saw that group B strep feeds on sugar the same way yeast does, so I figured if I was doing the diet appropriately, I'd be helping both at once. However, this never really turned out to be true. Cutting out all fruit and healing foods and eating lots of coconut oil is very dangerous; that is a huge fat intake, and my digestive system was going completely nuts. I was in a lot of pain after every meal - and I just didn't understand why until later.
My advice is to cut out bad sugars, sweet baked/processed goods and white foods, but maintain a fruit intake to take care of your digestion. And do not overdose with fat intake, it's just not good for your body, no matter how healthy the fat is. Eat as much vegetables as possible (more green/colorful and less starchy), and just otherwise try to eat well, but don't overfocus on the diet. This is an imbalance that needs extreme attention.
I was reading WellnessConsultant359's regimen that she said worked for her, and I am about to try it out. It sounds like she was taking around 20 cloves of garlic per day for two weeks.
That's almost 300 cloves of garlic.
It seems that's the kind of antibiotic intake you need here, which explains why a diet wouldn't really do much, no matter how long it was done.
I know that garlic can burn the digestive lining and needs to be taken carefully. It can cause upset stomach, diarrhea, and vomiting, especially when taking too much at a time, and on an empty stomach. DO NOT take it on an empty stomach - it is just too dangerous for your organs.
This is what I've learned in my experience, so I want to share so that everyone can benefit.
I will begin the regimen (or a similar one) and update after 2 weeks with the exact terms and my final results. It would be absolutely incredible to get rid of this after a full year of dealing with symptoms.

Thank you to all who have posted! I wish you luck, and hope my experiment helps to find us all some answers!
___________________________________________________

Ladies,

2pm - 1 cup kefir + Garlic cloves
4pm - 1 Tbsp Coconut Oil

6pm - 1 cup Kefir + Garlic

Hi all,

That's almost 300 cloves of garlic.

The only Kefir I know is loaded with sugar.  Is there one that is not?  Thank you for your daily regimen.  I am starting it today instead of the antibiotics my doctor has prescribed.  I appreciate all the time it took for you to educate us in how to get ourselves well.  I, too, am a Health Coach.
How do you insert  the colloidal silver into your vagina? I have been following all these posts on Strep B since I am now suffering too. I am in a new relationship and am now suffering since I am having more sex. I am so frustrated with the Strep B and UTI's I could scream. I am going to begin all the natural remedies asap.
Thanks!
I found this website after many years of this infection.  I got Vaginal Strep in December of 2009 after taking Diflucan for a yeast infection.  After months of itching and trips to my OB/Gyn, who I prefer to only see once per year, there really wasn't a cure.  I started with a refrigerated probiotic, about 4 per day.  I then switched to a non-refrigerated pro-b, Culturelle.  I had it under control with just 2 Culturelle's per day.  Then, last April (2013), I had to have nasal surgery.  Obviously, after surgery, you need to take antibiotics to not get an infection in the hospital or after you leave.  Well, the Vaginal Strep cam roaring back.  The Culturelle wasn't cutting it anymore.  So, after finding this site, and researching many of the fixes on here, I finally tried the Allicin pills.  I started on 1/10/14 - purchasing it on Amazon.  I started with 10 pills per day.  Gradually, gradually, the itching stopped.  I am still taking the Allicin (I bought the book on it too - Peter Josling), but am down to about 6 per day with 2 Culturelles per day.  I can't tell you have fabulous it has been to not be itching like CRAZY!  I felt that when I had this, and it was ridiculuosly itchy, there was no way I could evr have a relationship again.  Now, I feel that dating is possible at some point in the future.  I am a 44 year old woman who is so thankful to have found Allicin.  It is pricey - about a dollar a pill on Amazon, but so worth it now that this is under control.  I know that if I need to take an antibiotic in the future, I will need to do a heavy regimen of the Allicin again, but at least I don't feel helpless like I did in the past!  See the Squidoo article on Josling & Allicin.  Good luck and thanks for having this as a resource!!!  
Clean out vaginal canal w hibiclens bought at cvs. Do this a few nights in a row in the shower and also take your probiotics daily (lactobacillus) and (acidophilus) and eat yogurt daily. It cured mine and anytime I feel it coming on or have a discharge I clean with hibiclens and I swear by it. Just try it. It's 10-15$ at cvs or walgreens
I have been suffering terribly the past three weeks with internal vaginal itching, burning, throbbing. Sometimes there is pressure on my bladder too. My gynecologist swabbed me and sent it for a vaginitis plus HSV test. Everything came back ok except candida albicans. I have been on monistat 3, terazol 7, gynazol 1, and 3 Diflucan. Nothing has changed! I am just as bad. Is the strep B a special culture or would it show up in a routine bacterial vaginosis panel like this? The doctor is not being helpful and this is the 2nd one I am on. They all say I shouldn't have symptoms anymore as I've been given everything. Weird thing is that my 2 year old has brought strep home from daycare to me 4 times in the last 5 months. I can barely function the itching is so bad and nothing helps it! Help!
I had GBS for 5 years, and a 6 day course of antibiotics cleared up the problem.  I used a Z-pack, and it cleared the problem right up.
I am on my 3rd doc.  What is the idea of sending you to a PA?  Then you tell them sex hurts and they want you to go to therapy.  Sex would not hurt if one of these so called smart physicians assists could figure out how to treat this strep b, which I have had now for over year.
TO ALL WHO HAVE BEEN TOLD YOU HAVE A YEAST INFECTION THAT WON'T GO AWAY.  GET TESTED FOR GROUP B STREP AND HAVE THE CULTURE SENT FOR CULTURE AND SENSITIVITY TESTING!!!!!!  Most doctors will tell you that Group B Strep (GBS) has no symptoms.  That is not true.  It is painful, it burns, a yellowish thick discharge appears and the vagina can turn beet red.  You need to have a culture and sensitivity test performed on the specimen to see what antibiotic will actually kill the bacteria.   A lot of times, doctors will prescribe any antibiotic and most are not effective against GBS. In fact some, like clindamycin, will actually induce the bacteria, making matters worse.  Levofloxacin is a common antibiotic used to treat GBS.  However, you must take it with Diflucan to prevent yeast and a probiotic to restore nature Flora at the same time.  Also, a ten day treatment plan can work well.  Shorter term treatments may cause bacteria to return.  Good luck and use this comment to EDUCATE your doctors.  Most are unaware that GBS CAN CAUSE PAINFUL SYMPTOMS.
Can you please tell me the dosage amount of penicillin and bactroban and did they pre-fill the applicators..I found your post online and showed my doctor then called a compounding pharmacy in my area i live in buffalo ny but the compounding pharmacist said she needs the specific amounts of penicillin on how to compound this and she would be happy to do it for me...please help..thanks
Hi- I hope you check this still.  I liked what you had to say about the remedies you used for GBS.  I have been dealing with GBS for 5 years now.  I ordered the Allimax and am awaiting its arrival.  I just wondered how you are feeling present day?
Hi Harleygirl,

I haven't checked this board in forever, but for some reason I checked it today and saw your post.  To answer your question, I am doing FANTASTIC.  It's as though I never had Group B Strep.  I really do believe that the Allimax was the final piece of the puzzle that cleared up my problem.  I hope that you have success with it as well.  I know that it is expensive, but it was worth the cost because it made such a difference.  

Make sure you take it for at least 30 straight days.  I believe I read somewhere that although you may feel better sooner, it takes a good 30 days for it to really get into your bloodstream.  Also, I made it a point to try to not eat so much sugar while I was taking it because I did not want to be feeding the bad bacteria sugar.

I don't use the allicin anymore for Group B Strep, but I do keep some in the house because my husband likes to take one a day just to keep his immune system healthy.  Here is another place to buy it from that I believe has a pretty good price, plus it's a higher dose so you don't have to take as many capsules at once:  http://drherbalnaturals.com/allimed.html

Best wishes to you, and I hope that soon Group B Strep is a thing of the past for you as well.

Sheila
Hi my name is Priscilla. I am 22 years old and just found out that I have Strep B. My husband and I are newly married and we are talking about having a baby. You say you're a single mom, did your children suffer during your pregnancy? How were your pregnancies? I have never heard of Strep B and I don't know what I should do for it. I'm like you. I was diagnosed 3 years ago with hypothyroid and have really heavy periods. I've even had ovarian cysts rupture and have scar tissue on my uterus. Do you think you could help me as to what I should do to help it?
Hi I been suffering with this for years I always have a bladder infection mostly with gbs but it's always under 10 which my docter says we don't treat when it's under ten but I always have the symptoms of urinary tract infection so she treats me with amoxicillin but after I'm done with the anthobiotics that damm bug is always back like a vengeance I'm 55 year old is this a hormone imbalance or what I also.  Take vagifem twice a week in my vagina I'm so sick of this and tired of taking anthobiotics! One thing my vagina does not burn or itch it's my bladder that burn and always going to the washroom and the bladder burn after I pee please help!! I want my life back and especially my sex life
Thank you Sheila, I have wondered about the sugar in my diet.  I have an organ transplant so I am immunosuppressed (my anti rejections turn off my immune system so it won't cause my organ to fail)  I shall try some of your solututions.
Hi Sheila,
What mg of Allimax do you recommend and is Allimed just as good or would you stick with the Allimax?  How many caps did you take to cure your GBS?
I've seen more gyn's than I can count. All I hear is, gbs is a naturally occurring bacteria...blah blah blah. I've had 3 children and belive after the delivery if my last, the gbs  travelled up my cervix causing PID. Painful sex, tender cervix, yellow/green cm, odor, pelvic pain, back pain, an abcess, you name it, I've got all tge markers fir PID but not one doc will say that PID us caused from strep b. the facts are all over the internet!!!  I believe I've got a compromised immune system and Tgats why I can't beat it down. I've been on all kinds of antibiotics and homeopathic remedies and vitamins. Just starting to come to terms that I have to live with it.  I'm sure something will happen yo my body eventually, sepsis or donethibg. Then there'll be no denying it. I'm tired of fighting with doctors. They don't  get it.
Allimed is just as good as Allimax.  Allimed comes in the 450 mg capsules.  I would take four of those a day for at least 30 days straight.  They are expensive, but they really work.  You may experience a "healing crisis" the first week and have a high temperature for a day.  
please i need you to coach me on how to do local kefir by myself, i like your advice and i want to try it. thanks alot
Hi Sheila, I would really appreciate your answer :) I wonder if you were having vaginal issues as well next to your UTI? I've seen your comments around the web on many forums and you always say you had a strep B UTI. But did you have vaginal discharge or burning dat cleared with taking the Allicin?

I too have a Strep B infection after taking many rounds of antibiotics and yeast infection medication. I've had it for 6 months now. In my country (the Netherlands), strep B is not recognized as pathogenic so all I get is yeast infection medicin, which I do not have. My symptoms are: thick white discharge that burns and creates a feeling of dryness, irritation inside my vagina, pain with intercourse, frequent UTI's.

I have started a regimen of many supplements a few days ago. These are the supplements (after weeks of research) I started:
- Bee Propolis
- Berberine HCL
- Echinacea Extract
- Super Lysine
- Bearberry
- Vitamin C
- Probiotics (strains: L. reuteri and L. rhamnosus)
- Allimax

In addition I bought Hibiclens to douche with and eat very healthy (already did that). I am lucky that Allimax was actually invention in my country, and the company that invented the stabilized allicin created a new formula that is 35 times stronger than the original Allimax. So you can take 1 capsule per day or per two days. So that's a lot cheaper and more convenient to take. I will report my findings in a few weeks, I hope this clears me, because if it doesn't I will lose all hope. Things have been very stressful the last months.

I'm sorry for any spelling errors, English is not my native language.  
Hi everyone, I just want to say a big thank you to the women in this forum. I was diagnosed with strep B a few months ago (in conjunction with Thrush although swab didn't show that up) and had all the symptoms described above (awful itch, discharge, burning - and crankiness as a result!) . After two months of all the usual Thrush treatments plus a round of antibiotics not doing much I searched on line and found this forum. The only solution my doctor was offering was another round of antibiotics. After reading all the post here I decided to do the following:
- Allicin Max capsules - 8 a day for the first week, then reduce gradually to one a day
- Relactagel (a ph re-balancing vaginal gel) - initially a full tube each night for a week, then reduced down to 1/3rd of a tube nightly
- Probiotic capsule daily (Acidophilus 20 billion)
- Vitamin C every day (1000)
- Cut out sugar from my diet (wasn't rigid about this, but cut out sweet things, desserts, etc)
- Canistan cream externally twice a day

I am very glad to say I am symptom free for three weeks now! It is such a relief to feel normal again. I'm still continuing the measures above and will do so for another few weeks just to be sure, but it is so fantastic to have found things that work!

Thank you ladies!!
Hi Ladies,

I had Strep B three years ago and managed to get rid of it with a reduced sugar diet and hydrogen peroxide douching (50\50) hydrogen\water twice a day. I only had to douche for 4 days and it was gone for 3 years.

After recently taking strong antibiotics (without also taking probiotics) it is now back with a vengeance. My symptoms are itching and burning and this time some discharge. The hydrogen douching hasn't worked at all sadly this time.

I am using emla numbing cream at night when the itching is at it's worse so I can get some sleep and stop tearing myself to shreds. It is expensive ($20AU for a tiny tube) and I had to tell a fib to get it (said we were having travel vaccinations and need to numb the kids arms) but you only need a tiny bit and it is my saviour at the moment. It stings slightly for about 15 seconds and then blessed relief for a few hours!

To attempt to rebalance myself and my bacteria I am now cutting down sugar, taking blackmores women's biobalance probiotic capsules orally (6 per day), allicin max (8 per day) and inserting PH gel daily. I've also increased my vitamin regime. Fingers crossed. Will report back soon.
Hi. I've had current UTI's for the past 9 months. Horrible pain in my abdominal area and back. Nauseous a lot and kidney pain. My urine cultures all tested positive for strep B. Been going to Urologist. Several different antibiotics. And nothing helped. Had CT to rule out stones. I'm still in horrible pain. Still have no answers except Doctors telling me they need to find where this bacteria is starting from. Never mentioned seeing my GYN.  I had a hysterectomy over 3 years ago so never occurred to me but since then sex has been extremely painful. Like I have sores in my vaginal wall. No std's! Now I'm wondering if this is all due to the strep B. I'm extremely tired all the time and weak. My vitamin D count in low. Everything I've been reading in you posts sound like my life. I guess I should visit my gym
Hi, everyone. First and foremost just wanna say, this site has saved me so much peace of mind and has given me so many options for possibly beating this thing.

About 3 months ago, I had what I thought to be a yeast infection. They're not uncommon for me, I'm 24 now and have had them since I was around 16, usually quite a few every year along with BV infections. I'm a redhead and increeedibly sensitive so I just learned to live with the constant problems down there. Like I said, 3 months ago I thought I was getting a yeast infection. I had sex anyway two days into feeling tender down there and woke up the next day already knowing something was very, very wrong. Let me tell you, ladies, never in my life have I experienced pain like this. Over the course of the week I developed a raging infection that left me looking utterly unrecognizable down there. I had these shallow, bright red ulcers (they looked like small circular cuts into the skin) EVERYWHERE on my vagina, a few inside, and then some that eventually spread to my anus. I've never experienced pain like it and the swelling was unbelievable. I went to the doctor and she gave me antibiotics right away (Z pack) and a shot in the hip to fight the infection. I had discharge literally running out down my legs (sorry to be graphic, but it was insane) and it was a dark orange color (not like blood, it was different than spotting), the most severe itching I've ever experienced, rawness, severe redness, and a constant tingling. I slept with frozen peas between my legs for a week straight and peeing was utter agony due to the acidity in my urine hitting those open sores. I could barely even touch water to any of my skin down there. I went back to the doctor after two days when the ulcers started to appear and my doctor did another swab and felt pretty strongly that I had herpes. I was heartbroken and waited on pins and needles for the tests results to come back. NO STD's, but tested positive for Strep Group G. I got another antibiotic (amox500mg) and eventually, slowly, everything cleared up.
Not long after, I got my first tiny ulcer back. I wasted no time, got into the doc the next day after noticing it, and got amox500mg for ten days. Cleared it up fine, no problems.
A few days ago, waddya know, another very small ulcer popped up, this time with very mild itching and an odor like before. Got into the doc today and she's giving me an antibiotic specifically for the strain G strep this time. I'm also taking probiotic pills but they haven't seemed to do me much good thus far. We'll see. I'm in the process of quitting smoking to help my immune system and I recently changed birth controls (switched to the "mini pill", no progesterone) to see if all this has anything to do with how hormonally messed up I was on my old birth control. This all started around the time I started taking BC so I'm leaving that possibility open. My boyfriend is soon going to be treated for the strep G strain as well since I feel like we're just passing it back and forth to each other, which my doctor said could be very possible.
Ladies, do not give up hope. I feel for you all so deeply, as I've struggled with issues down there since I was a young girl and sometimes it feels like there's no end in sight. All we can do is keep fighting and pushing our doctors to research and spend the time on us we deserve to figure this thing out!
I'm 35. Recently diagnosed with a group strep b UTI. Was given cipro, macrobid, and clindamyacin for it over the course of a month. None worked and I ended up in the hospital near sepsis bc the infection had gotten into my bloodstream and started taking over. Was a very serious situation. Glad I stumbled upon this page.
In the hospital I was on vancomyacin via IV and then Rosephin via IV. I also had to go home with a PICC Line (google it) in place and continue the rosephin infusions by IV home health nurse for an additional 5 days. Since then I have had numerous appts with a Urologist. In the hospital I was working with an infectious disease dr. Was in there for a total of about 8-9 days. White blood cells in my blood and urine were off the charts.
Hi all,

I just want to report back, I posted a message here about three months ago that I was going to try the supplements regimen for my vaginal problems.

Sadly, this did not help at all. The Allimax (high strength) did nothing for me as well. Since then I have found a few things that work temporarily, so I can get through the day. Firstly, If I douche with a little bit of Hibiscrub (chlorhexidine) mixed with water, the discharge only returns in about a day or two. My problem is, when the bad bacteria (strep) is killed, I always end up with a yeast infection. In this whole year I've been struggeling with this infection, I've not once had my normal discharge. It is always bacteria or yeast. So I end up having to fight the yeast, only to get a bacterial infection again. Anyone recognizes this?

Nothing works to get rid of the yeast, even the strongest antifungal prescriptions do nothing.The only way I have been able to get rid of the yeast problem is to raise vaginal ph, so that the yeast can't grow. I can do this by douching with baking soda or using a product they sell here with a high ph. So douching with Hibiscrub and then using a product that raises the ph gets me through a day without discomfort (or using a Hibiscurb baking soda mixture). Unfortunately, by having the high ph, lactobacillli can't grow and I'm creating room for bacteria to grow. So by all means, this isn't a solution and I don't encourage you do the same. But it's the only thing that has me functioning pretty normal. I still experience the nuisance of douching everyday though, and having dryness problems with intercourse because I've douched away all my fluids.

I'm continuing to search for a solution, and once I have, I will immediately report to all the ladies here. I wouldn't wish this on my worst enemy, it has made my life pretty miserable, to the point of being suicidal sometimes. I know a lot of people are worse of then me, but it occupied my mind every moment of the day for the last year.

Oh and something else, look into something called desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. It is an overgrowth of a bacteria (usually strep B) accompanied with inflammation of the vagina. I'm pretty sure we all struggle with this, and unfortunately there is no cure, just maintenance therapy with estrogen cream, steroid cream and an antibiotic cream.

My heart goes out to all of you in this thread. Please, if you find a solution, share it with us!
Thank you for posting this.  I went to my NP and had my pap, and I came back positive for this, they say it's not transmittable and it's not an STD, but nobody can say how you get it, and nobody seems to be able to answer my questions and they said I would not be treated unless I got preggo. I'm like why would I NOT want to get treated now. Reading all these posts and everyone else is complaining about burning and itching and I don't have those symptoms, but I don't want to even risk it progressing to that. I'm going to start doing probiotics and look into that cream that you mentioned. I don't want to go through antibiotics and deal with what everyone else is posting about it recurring after antibiotic treatment. I hope that since 2012 when you posted this that you actually had good outcome and no recurrences? If you are still around, I'd love to know how it went through to today? Any recurrences? Or is it gone gone gone!
hi how are you doing with strep b? are you better?
Hi. I was diagnosed with gbs 7 years ago when I was pregnant with my son I was told I was born with it, that I contracted it threw my mother?
But I have not had any itching or burning since then, I've had yellow discharge and odor about 3 years ago but no itching so I douched every other week and it went away.
recently I have had a symptoms of a yeast infection. I took over the counter monistat but that hasn't worked. It's more on the outside of my vagina not the inside so I did some research and found TEA TREE OIL to be affective on gbs. a
I haven't read about anyone using tea tree oil but it has been quite affective, it is a natural anti fungal and soothes the itching so I researched it more and it has been really helpful for others suffering from gbs. I am going to try to cure myself the organic way so far this is the first thing I've tried and it is working well, I have only been using it for 2 days and I hope it cures me. I hope this has helped !
If you try it make sure it is natural tea tree oil.
Hi all, I am glad I have come across this site as I have just been diagnosed with a group B step infection.  However my infection is in my anus. I was wondering if anyone else has the infection there. The itch in that area and perineum is unbearable. It is itchy constantly, I wake most night a couple of times with the itch. I have had this itch for over 5 years and have tried every lotion and potion. Only last week did I ask the doctor to take a swab (after being to a dermatologist who couldn't do anything for me).  That test came back with GBS infection so I have been put on a course of antibiotics for 2 weeks.  I really hope this is what is causing the itch. Is anyone else experiencing this itch in the back end?
Greetings Ladies, this evening I discovered these posts and I am very glad that there is so much information available; it provides the great opportunity to seek a solution. So far from what I have gathered strep b has nothing to do with strep a. It is a normally occurring bacteria in the lower intestine, that can become colonized and have negative effects if allowed to bloom when the bodies immune system is lowered and unable to keep its healthy bacteria at a 'normal' level. When strep b does in fact become colonized ( in either the female urinary tract, vagina , or men's urethra/ no pain accompanied for men) it often causes a series of side effects including: tenderness, swelling, redness, irritation, burning, itching and chunky, snotty, thick or creamy white, yellow or green discharge. It can also cause pain during sex, cramping, tingling, leg pain, back pain, irritability and anxiety and low self esteem(no doubt from prolonged symptoms). From what I can tell the bacteria seems to have patterns/waves/blooms where the infection can  become very intense and pervasive followed by periods of hibernation/ dormancy. The numbers of no. Pregnant GBS carriers in North America has risen from approx 4%to 7% in the last 20 years and is now being seen in young women who are not pregnant or have not been pregnant as opposed to earlier statistics where GBS mostly occurred in menopausal women or pregnant women. Studies - although very few - show that women of African descent are more suseptable. GBS sis not an STD , although it is believed by some medical practitioners to be triggered by sex. Although many women who have suffered yeast and vaginitis often become carriers of GBS  it does not mean that having yeast infections or vaginitis will ensure and increased risk of GBS. There is an undeniable link however, to women that have take. Antibiotics within the past 30 days and having GBS. So far from what I can tell this seems to be a vitamin/ hormonal imbalance issue that can mostly be fixed with regimented natural  remedies/diet/ supplementation and excersize. Two years ago I was very ill and went to the ER, it turns out I was disastrously I'll with a cervical infection and that I was pregnant . They gave me antibiotics that were so strong they insured my child would have severe birth defects. Unfortunately I could not carry my baby to term and underwent a severely traumatic time in my life. A few weeks later I received a phone call from the doctor who nonchalantly told me I had GBS but not to worry about it. The following years have been vaginal hell. Every clinic has treated me for bladder infections or cervical infections etc., it was not until a few hours ago that I realized how very real GBS Is and how completely uninformed the medical community at large is ( special thanks to any practitioners who stay relevant and updated). I will keep you posted on my healing journey and methods. Thanks to all good luck!
Hi guys,

Update from me: I'm still fighting this infection and it is worse than ever. Intercourse hurts very bad, I feel like I have glass in my vagina. I also have pain with urination. And still the thick white discharge. Will definitely update if I ever find a cure.
Hi, I've been reading this for a few hours and although I'm happy that I'm not the only one I am annoyed that since 2009!!! There is no proper cure, why would they only treat pregnant women these symptoms are putting me under so much stress and irritation all the time. It is all confusing me because a lot of people have been saying it all started after they've had sex, but apparently you can't catch it through sex, however I've been seeing trends of people saying their boyfriend has diabetes and they think it is something to do with that, my boyfriend has diabetes also, but I don't want to ask him to get checked for it unless it really could be something to do with him because it will just cause a big argument, I've already made him get an std check and after that he said he never wants me to make him do that again because "he knew he was all clear, and that I should just trust him... I'm 18 and I really don't want to have to go through this the rest of my life, I'm currently on my first treatment of penicillin, although I haven't completed the course yet I'm pretty sure it's not going to do anything for me after reading all of these comments. I'm sick and tired of this as I'm sure most of you are but if anyone has found a proper treatment not just vitamins and putting garlic up there as experiments, I don't have the money for all this experimenting I'm just wondering if anybody can give me some proper advice or if anybody has found a proper cure, I've read from 2009-2013 and after that they all sort of said the same... The symptoms I've got is the itchiness, pure white discharge, and irritation, sex hurts and not only is there the stress of dealing with this ideation but it's getting it in the ear all the time from my partner asking when can we have sex again. Another thing, this could just be me, but the smell of what I've got isn't bad but it's a distinctive one and i remember when I first had sex with my boyfriend it is the same smell as what he smelt like (down there) I didn't think anything of it because it isn't a bad smell it's kind of bland but it is still the same as what I've now got, however he has no symptoms so really don't want to bring it up unless I am right, and one last thing we use condoms all the time so can I really catch it off him from just just touching each other down there-  can you catch strep B and is there a cure??? Thanks  
AUGMENTIN!!!!!
Anti biotic with potassium.
For the last month I've been noticing milky white discharge and a slight oder that I could sometimes smell trough panties and pants as well as some itching. They started to ebb as my period approached. 1 week ago today I did my usual Brazilian waxing. Later that day, I douched with my typical brand I use before and after my period, and it burned like heck all inside of my vagina. I dismissed it as maybe they had changed their formula.

Later that night, my boyfriend (having not yet had a shower) and I had fairly rough sex for an hour straight and we were both quite raw. I noticed a small tear on the thin/tight skin at the bottom of my vaginal opening (where I often get tears from sex or hastily placing a tampon, etc), but I thought little of it. The next morning we were both still rather raw and it burned the tear/cut when I urinated. Later that day (Saturday), I was stuck in the cold pouring rain for 2 hours in very tight (non-cotton) leggings. Later that night, I started my period, but we decided to have sex again despite both of us being sore. He ejactulated inside of me for the first time, and I rinsed it out with warm water immediately. The next morning we were both even more sore and raw, and I noticed the burning was worse when urine hit the tear. I also noticed another small tear on the side of my vaginal opening. Urinating was becoming worse. I also noticed some yeast infection, so I started taking Apple Cider Vinegar baths every night and it eased the pain and the yeast went away. But the tears, itching and milking period blood discharged stayed.

Over the next few days, another tear appeared on the other side of my vagina but not directly across. Then I started swelling, and some of my hairs had started growing back and causing ingrowns, and I noticed even more tears appearing. The pain from urinating on them was causing me to nearly pass out. To the point I spend most days in tears, and can only pee when in  a bathtub full of warm water.

I finally got in to see a doctor (Wednesday) and explained what was happening. He took one look and said "these look herpetic."
I aske "really? Even though they aren't clustered together, aren't ulcers, aren't puss filled, and my last test since my last partner came back negative?"
He replied "the ingrown hairs are throwing me off. Do you wax INSIDE the labia/lips? Is that a thing?"
When I replied yes and that I'm most prone to ingrowns in that area, he said "then it might be BV. I'm going to take a swab test to be positive."
(I had found a post from a girl with identical symptoms and tears, who's doctor could never figure out what it was. They got it to go away with an antibiotic, antiviral and topical lidocaine for the pain)
He concluded my visit with saying it's probably just BV but taking blood work to run a full STD screening just to be safe as I am exposed to bodily fluids with my job. He prescribed me Doxycycline, Fluconazole, Valtrex, Metrogel, and lidocaine. He said I could wait on the Metrogel and get it if it doesn't clear up.

The last 2 days I have noticed more severe pain (not when I urinate as the lidocaine helps alleviate that) but from significant swelling and general pressure, as well as pain in and around my anus. Still no ulcers or clusters or typical herpes symptoms. The last 2 days I noticed flu like symptoms. Everything I've read points to about every single infection and disease and logic tells me it isn't herpes, but that seed of doubt is there that maybe my last test was negative and it's just been lying dormant in my system.

To add to my thoughts it might be bacterial and not viral, I haven't been taking my probiotics for a month as I normally do, been eating a ton of sugar and carbs everyday, douched (which can kill off the good bacteria that fight the bad), drinking more alcohol than normal, was in soaking wet tight clothes for 2+ hours, was ejaculated in (semen lowers the alkaline levels so your body has a harder time fighting infection/disease/cancer), and I'm already prone to candida overgrowth.

Just found out about GBS an hour ago. Am wondering if this is what I (as well as that girl from the other post) possibly have? Won't get my test results for another 5 days. Still in pain. Taking the medications WITH my probiotics
It makes me so sad to see so many of us suffering!!  Until we find a way to fix this, please know you can numb yourself with over the counter numbing cream - Vagicaine is a Target brand and is about $3.00 a tube - it's the only thing that has kept me alive and going.  

It stings at first, but, then.....relief, sometimes for hours.  I sometimes mix it with a probiotic powder  - I open up a pill and mix it in a small container I keep with me at all times.  I've had doctors tell me that Benzoicaine, (one of the ingredients) is not good for a va-jay, but, I believe that is just another fact they learned in medical school that they regurgitate, in all sincerity, not knowing why.....that, and, "here, have some antibiotics".

I completely quit using this particular numbing cream and tried another without Benzocaine to see if there was any improvement to see if there was any validity to the doctors claim claim......zero improvement.  So, if I can get numb to get some relief so I can do my job and not drive my car into a tree, I'm in....namaste, who knew having a vagina could be so painful, love and healing....
Hi!  My problem seems to be in my anus and vaginal opening - nothing going on on the inside, no discharge or odor.  I've suffered with this for 6 years.....it's horrible.....I'm constantly searching for answers.....I feel like I acquired it from waaaay too many antibiotics, wrongly prescribed...modern medicine seems to say, when in doubt, have some antibiotics.....I've gotten relief from soaking in a sitz bath with water and apple cider vinegar or water mixed with 3% hydrogen peroxide.....but, I couldn't survive (literally) without Vagicaine numbing cream from Target.....it's inexpensive and numbs the area - almost can forget you have it.....love and healing
Hi I have some questions, I was tested positive for vaginal strep 2 days ago and started taking penicillin today for the next 13 days, 4 x a day.

Does anyone have a strong opinion of where this disease comes from? Is it most likely sexually transmitted? My doctor says nobody knows where it comes from. ALSO, do I have to have my partner tested/ tell him about it? Could he have given it to me/ could I have given it too him? We haven't been dating that long. I'm 21 years old. Freaking out a little bit.
Thanks for all the posts! Helps me feel less alone because theres NOTHING else on the internet about this.
Thanks for all the comments. I'd appreciate folks weighing in if they've had a similar experience because I'm getting a little frustrated.

I tested Group B negative with all my kids (oldest is now 11), but after a bout with BV and Strep Throat (A) and what was probably also a yeast infection, I found out that I was Group B positive last year around this time.

And here's the fun part: I found out because I had white spots on my tonsils and a UTI. From what I can gather, I was having oral sex with my boyfriend after he was inside me and I infected myself.

I had no other symptoms with the Group B other than the spots, but I just immediately took antibiotics and it never was an issue again for me. Or so I think. I wasn't really having sex because I got scared with all the BV and yeast infections happening.

Now I'm finding myself in a similar situation. I had Strep Throat (A) a few weeks ago and was on antibiotics, I had a weird late period, and now, here I am, with spots on my throat and no other symptoms. My educated guess is that it's Group B again (I had sex with my current boyfriend and then had oral sex).

The odd part is that I don't have any vaginal symptoms other than what I'd describe as a light yellow discharge that's thin and watery. No weird smell. No itching or any discomfort. But it's almost a constant for me unless I have my period. I've always chalked it up to hormones, but now I'm wondering.

So I'm wondering if I should start the antibiotics to be safe (I actually thought I had Strep A since my kids did last week, so when I started to feel a little off, I visited the dr -- online though, so no test). I probably will because I don't want to risk anything.

And, I'm wondering if there's a way to get rid of the Strep B. Clearly, I can make simple steps to not infect myself again during sex, but I would like to get rid of the infection that I assume I have and keep it out of my system for as long as possible.

Has anyone had a similar experience? I've only read a few stories about people passing Strep B during sex but then it's unclear as to whether it just goes away or not. I'm going to try some of the natural remedies too.

Thanks.

Why are all you ladies just treating your vagina's. Do you realise that Strep B is also on your intestines?I believe I have had Step B for on and off for two years. I have it really bad at the moment and I cannot even go to work. I am on my second lot of antibiotics and they are not working. The doctor has given my third lot of antibiotics!  And he says if this does not work then I have to go the specialist. I have had night sweats, nausea, occasional vomiting, weakness and cramps and itchy ears which may be Strep? I have just bought coconut juice today and I hope if I drink it a few times during the day it may work. Fingers crossed!. This Strep has stopped me in my tracks.  Its so bad I had to call my boyfriend to pick me up fro the supermarket because I felt so ill! Are we all going to die if our antibiotics do not work!!!???
Really interesting to see the similarities between myself and so many of the people posting here.

A bit of info on myself and what brought me here. I'm 30 years old (no children) and have suffered with Thrush for at least 8 years. Although not severe symptoms I have constantly had the cloudy/yellow discharge and infrequent itching. I don't often get ill but if I do it is always in my throat - tonsillitis,pharyngitis etc.
I started researching all my symptoms and read a lot about problems being related to an imbalance of flora/bacteria in the gut. Basically the problem starts in the gut and either works its way up to the throat or down. I do take Acidophilus but never notice a massive difference. However, I did once take a course of Kefir (a natural fermented goats milk which tastes gross!) as a probiotic and this did help.
More recently I was diagnosed with an underactive thyroid or hypothyroidism caused by an auto immune disorder. (I noticed that a previous poster also had this). Basically the body attacks itself for some unknown reason and this can cause a weakened immune system. Not wanting to take medication I tried cutting out (or down on) caffeine,sugar,yeast and this had a hugely positive result on my levels. I do now take a very small dose of levothyroxine to help bump up my thyroid production.

I discovered I had a Strep B infection as I had wanted to get to the bottom of my thrush problem as my husband and I are planning to have children. My tests came back with high levels of Thrush but also a Strep B infection and I was prescribed with penicillin.
I'll be taking my acidophilus whilst taking the penicillin as i'm sure it will make my thrush worse! My doctor also gave me a pessary for the thrush to take after i've finished my course of antibiotics.
I'm also now taking a vitamin D supplement which aids the immune system.

I'll post again in a couple weeks to see how things have progressed.

I do believe that there is a link between gut flora/auto immune/infections such as Strep A/B.

It would be interesting to see if others have connected illnesses/symptoms etc.

So I saw another doctor because I was still in a lot of pain and I wasn't giving up. I ended up having a exterior urethra polyp. My urine was burning my vulva skin that was causing my pain due to this polyp. The polyp has since been removed and I am back to normal. All these doctors thought it was group b strep that was causing my pain and my condition had actually nothing to do with GBS at all.
I was keep having white vaginal discharge for 3 years and I am desperately finding for the cause of it for all these years including several std and blood test but they just come out normal. Until I can't torelate anymore I decided to have hysteroscopy. It come out normal but   strep b is diagnosed. I am relieved because at last I know why I am having so much white sticky discharge like yeast but not like yeast. And I found this site which I feel so many women out there is suffering.  I need to share this with you all. I am having clear discharge at the moment by doing this;

Eat doctor medicines which is augmentin
After that antibiotic all bacteria in your body is wiped off so you need good stuff
I have a blender which I mixed
-half lemon
-one apple
-half cucumber
-half carrot
-some milk (very little)
-most importantly I mixed in probiotic powder
-sometimes I add in more veg such as celery

And drink it instantly but not right after antibiotic.

I see result immediately after two days. Watery discharge and I feel I finally can see the light after living in hell for so many years

Can you tell me how you use the tea tree oil? It is a very strong ingredient, and I would think it could burn the delicate tissues in the vaginal area?
Normsie
Hi everyone,

My first post here was a year ago. I just wanted to provide you with an update on my situation. (disclaimer: English is not my native language).

After almost 2 years of intense suffering from this vaginal condition and sore and raw vagina, I feel like I'm 'cured' now. I am so, so happy about this, I could cry. I can have intercourse normally again and I feel normal. I'm not aware of my sore vagina anymore and my discharge is normal again. Hurray! The only thing that is left to fix for me is having a UTI every few weeks, but that's a different story.

So I just wanted to let you know what I did to get normal again. Everytime I was in forums with women suffering from this, they would never return to update on their situation, so I promised myself I would.

First of all, for almost 2 years I took almost every supplement on earth. It cost me a lot of money (A LOT!) and it did not work at all. Allimax, propolis, garlic, probiotics, you name it. It did nothing. I understand that it's maybe hard to hear, because it would be so nice if we could fix this with just a supplement. But it's just not strong enough to make a major change in your vaginal health. So you could try it, but you could also save your money. I did extensive research and tried almost everything. However, I won't say that it won't work for you, you have to decide for yourself.

Another thing I did during the past 1,5 year, was douche a lot. Hibiclens, hydrogen peroxide, apple cider vinegar, you name it. I put it all up there, just to make me feel 'clean', without the sticky thick discharge I had. Well, it caused my vagina to never get normal again and I destroyed my whole vaginal flora.

So what I did: first of all, I quit all of the above. No supplements, no vaginal douches, etc. In my period of suffering, I did a lot of research and decided I would try to heal my vaginal walls and flora. Because Strep B is a normal vaginal pathogen, and only takes over when your vaginal flora isn't normal (because of antibiotics or hormones, for example). I myself have had a lot of antibiotics and yeast medication. Besides that, I have a hormone imbalance.

So I looked up remedies for vaginal atrophy and desquamative inflammatory vaginitis, and I found that a suppository with DHEA restored the vaginal walls and flora in menopausal women, because it converts to estrogen in the vaginal walls. You can use it as a suppository. I also found that probiotics are best used when they are inserted directly into the vagina. I also used a vaginal gel with the right ph, named Multigyn Acti-gel (available in my country). It is really good stuff with a lot of reviews, just look it up. It restores vaginal flora and allows good bacteria to grow. So my regimen everyday:

- I take a pill of probotics (the right kind, with vaginal bacteria: rhamnosus GR-1 and L. reuteri RC-14)
- I take a pill of DHEA (pills are 50mg, I use only use 5mg)

I open the pills and mix a bit of them with the Multigyn Acti-gel (with resembles vaginal fluid, it is just a clear gel). I mix it in a vaginal cream inserter (don't know what it is called in English). I use this mixture in my vagina everyday. It use just a tiny bit, so it doesn't run out during the day.

So for the first few weeks I did this, I was still sore, because it takes a while to restore the vaginal epithelium and flora. Before I didn't have the patience to wait for it to heal, but I did now.

It's been a few months and I'm all better now, still use this every few days for maintenance (mostly after intercourse). I have a normal sex life again and now irritation. I couldn't be happier, because the solution was so easy and I don't have to use antibiotics anymore.  

My apologies for the long post, I just want to help all of you. I you have a question about my regimen, please ask. Please look up all the research on vaginal DHEA and vaginal probiotics. Also, look up research on desquamative inflammatory vaginitis. This strep B only takes over because something is destroying or vaginal flora (auto-immune, hormones, antibiotics). It is not the main cause of our infection. Also, if you could get your hands on Multigyn Acti-gel, please try it. It's not just restoring, it's also soothing and allows you to have normal vaginal fluid again.    

I hope I can help someone with this, please feel free to ask me anything.

I had suffered for 5 years with GBS, and then I had to take a probiotic called VSL 3 for a different problem, and it cleared up the GBS. A recent magazine article had said that VSL 3 was one of the best probiotics on the market, because it will actually recolonize the body with good bacteria. I get it from a large pharmacy/drugstore chain here in the US. If you try to order online, I think it says you need a doctors prescription, but my pharmacy just orders it directly for me whenever I need it. I don't have any problem with GBS any longer, but it is nice to know that VSL 3 is available if I ever need it again.