Vaginal Strep in a Non Pregnant Woman
Hi,  I had been having lots of itching, burning and a brownish discharge for two weeks after a fun sex filled weekend with a boyfriend whom I only see every two months or so.  This happens often and I have always treated it as a possible yeast infeciton.  This time it didn't go away and so I saw my ob/gyn.  She took a culture and found strep B, which has nothing to do with Strep A that creates strep throat.  She said she could give me antibiotics to make it go away but then I would get a yeast infeciton from the antibiotics and then we'd have to use another cream etc.  She said just to let it ride it's course.  Now it's been three and ahalf weeks and it's better but not all healed.  Does anyone have any ideas about treating this or preventing this?  Every article on the internet has to do with Strep B in prenatal women (when it is very dangerous for the baby) and nothing about Strep B for regular women in their 40's like me :)  Thanks, I'd love to hear from anyone who has ever been treated for this disease or any doctors out there.
This is a normal bacteria for the anogenital area.  It becomes an issue in pregnancy, mainly for the infants sake.

I don't know if it's ever something that needs to be treated in a non pregnant woman.  Maybe if it sort of took over?  Just like yeast is also a normal inhabitant of the female genital tract, if there is an imbalance and it overtakes the normal flora, you get symptomatic.  Maybe group B strep is the same.
Hi, I too am suffering from a vaginal strep infection. I got it when I started having sex with a new partner. I have tried two rounds of antibiotics. The first round took it away and then it came back in a couple of months again. I have a lot of irritation and redness. I am taking a probiotic and Colloidal Silver to see if it will help. Both of these items can be purchased through a health food store. I've been taking it now for about two weeks. My symptoms are slowly getting better but still feels uncomfortable. I'm wondering if my partner needs to be treated, could he be a carrier of this??
To anyone out there with this dreaded Strep B in the vagina problem, i need some help, i too had a swab for thrush but it come back with strep b +++, i was given amoxil 500mg antibiotics but it did nothing, now im on an antibiotic cream inserted every night for 7 nights. My symptoms are only that i have a very thick white discharge all the time, i shower twice daily and am very hygenic, i dont use soap because of dermatitis down there too, instead use aqueos lotion. There is no itch or burning just this annoying pasty discharge, it doesnt smell foul, it sort of smells like salt and vinegar chips (thats the best i can associate it to) its not fishy at all, the consistency of thick white sorbolene cream almost toothpaste, it is there every day of the month even when i ovulate i dont get that thin egg white stuff anymore. Im not on the pill anymore i stoped it a month ago, my dr says to wait a month after the internal cream before starting on antibiotics again for 2whole weeks, them im afraid i'll get thrush back again, Oh i am so sick of this all, if it wasnt for this disgusting discharge i wouldnt know there was anything wrong with me, can anyone suggest what to do and does anyone else have this discharge with strep. Ive been tested for all STD's and im neg to all. Hopefully lots of people out there suffering from this can write back please. Thanks.
Hello.. for the past 3-4 months I have what i thought was a reoccuring case of yeast infection. I also have tested positive to herpes type 1 so I though this was it so my doctor gave me a course of tablets for herpes. The irritation did go away however after 6 weeks it has come back AGAIN! I went to see my doctor today and from the cultures done last time finally I found out I have strep B, the doctor was very understanding and has now given me a course of penacilin and 2 tablets to avoid getting a yeast infection - 1 to take before the penacilin and 1 to take at the end of the course. I too am trying to research on the net but keep finding info for pregnant women.. I am 27 and definitely NOT pregnant.
I am 37 years old and also have vag strep. I can definitely understand your frustration. From my research, the following do NOT work.

1. Flagyl
2. Vaginal inserts (actually can increase strep bacteria)

Please read the following article at www.wdxcyber.com/npapvg11.htm

I to have been suffering from what the test referred to as: " A slight over growth of Streph B"  It's been at least 7 months if not longer that I've been dealing with a constant but slight discharge.  I'm in my 40's and not pregnant.  I've talked to my doctor many times and have been given the option to take an antibiotic, which as most of us well know can cause yeast infection.  I've opted not to do this.  So, I've been living with this condition for a while now.  Sometimes it seems that it comes on later in the afternoon almost routine and then it sometimes happens out of the blue in the morning.  I try to change my underwear twice a day and don't wear any underwear at nigh for bed.  I'm not sure what triggers this...I know about 2.5 years ago I got a really nasty vaginal infection..Then it was treated and I've been tested for STD's all negative.  I sometimes wonder if it came from the boyfriend at that time.  I've even tried douching with h20 and vinegar which will temporary stop the discharge but it comes back.  What I hate about it is it makes me feel dirty and it has a slight odor that I can smell at times.  So I wonder if someone else can smell it or is it I'm so intune with the odor I pick it up asap.  Not to mention the constant stained underwear..:(  

If anyone has any info or treatment I'd be greatful to hear it as well.  
I too had strep b. I did amoxicillian and the pill for yeast. went pretty well but after a month the burning sensation came back. More culturs. This time ecoli showed up....did cipro and it made me sick. My GYN asures me that none of these are std's but grow in the vagina naturally. But something thru my ph levels out of whack and I have lost my vaginal flora. We thought menopause and now I have thyroid thing going on too. Now I'm on hrt's and synthroid. I miss my self . This *****.
I have the same issue.   I am 37 and have had a hystorectomy so there is no chance of a baby.  I have never had strep B and have had three children.  I have seen a specialist in the field of infections and is an OBGYN.  My husband is a carrier of Strep B.  I was put on mupirocin 1% vaginal suppositiory twice daily for 14 days.  He is taking Amox-Clav 875 mg twice daily for 14 days.  I was treated frist and after sex was reinfected.  This was a clue that he was the reason that we were having issues.  Both must be treated.  Give your Dr a call and let them know.  Good luck and feel better.
My question is, how much of having Strep B is caused by sex?  I understand that this infection is most common in pregnent women. Well I found out that the man that I was dating had a women who was pregnant. How does these situations relate to one another?
After the birth of my second child, I was told, after my post-op gyn appt., that I had Strep B. Didn't test positive for it while I was pregnant. Didn't have the usual symptoms (burning, gross discharge with ordor) too many times. Now ten years later I have had all of these symptoms plus UTI's with Strep B in my urine. I have been on anitbiotics several times and have recurring infections monthly. I don't know what is going on or how to cure it. My doctor to tells me that it is a "normal" bacteria in the vaginal. I would like someone to tell me why I didn't have it for years and it just showed up one day after the birth of my son, was dormat for years and now has returned.
I've had 3 UTI/bladder infections this year alone.  My daughter is now 2 and very strange things occured since I've given birth.  I did test positive for strep B during pregnancy but they did the IV and there were no complications at that time.  This year I've had so much urinary pain that I don't know what it's due to.  Sometimes they give me Macrobid/Nitrofurantin and it will go away but come back.  This past round they prescribed Levaquin and it's pretty good.  The discharge is down and the pain and inflamation are definately clearing up.  I'm still trying to find out if this is related to an abundance of sexual activity or if another STD makes it become more active. thanks.
I was diagnosed with GSB two years ago when I was 25 years old and not pg. I have done a lot of research and talked with many specialists, there is not too much that antibiotics can do, unless you are pregnant, then you want to protect the baby. The colonization goes through an ebb and flow. Some tests will show it,but at another time the GSB is not as abundant. The amount depends on a lot of factors- stress, other STD's, or even being sick. Your immune system and it's healthiness really drives the production of GSB. I have been taking a regimen of vitamins that has helped a lot in my symptoms and comfort. I every now and then get really bad itching, but not as much. The combo is acidophillus, garlic, grapefruit seed extract, Vitamin C, and echinacea. I don't know the exact mg, but just look it up.
Something that recently happend to me was an abnormal result on a pap smear. Does anyone know if this can be from GSB? This is soemthing new, so I haven't had a chance to ask my gyno yet.
Hope this helps.
Thanks to all of you for posting your comments.  I have tried some of your remedies, but I was mostly greatful to know that I was not alone.  Thank you again for taking your time to write.

OK, this Might work for some of you!  I have been fighting this horrific vaginal discharge that felt like a second degree burn everytime I went to the bathroom.  Sex was excrutiating!  My husband is very patient, but this went on for over a YEAR!!!!  I tried eveything from yeast infection cures to vinegar - oooh did that burn!  I went to the Dr.  I was diagnosed with many thing over the year: yeast infection (tried both systemic and topical treatments), Strep B (3 or 4 rounds of differnt antibiotics) both sytemic {Penicillin, Amoxicillin, etc} and topical {Metronidazole Vaginal gel})  NONE of them worked.  I was so very dissapointed.  I started to think it was in my brain, I have a great relationship with my husband, but then I started wondering if things were bad in my subconscious.  I was even willing to seek counseling.

Fast forward to now:  I went to a specialist he looked at a sample of my vaginal tissue under a microscope and came back with the diagnosis of DESQUAMATIVE INFLAMMATORY VAGINITIS.  Well this one was new, so I had hope.  He gave me CLINDAMAX 2% Cream.  It is supposed to be a 7 day regime, but he gave it to me for 14 days.  After about 6 days, symtoms began to calm down, after 11 days, they were GONE!  I fininshed the 14 days and so far (one week and counting) I have NO DISCHARGE!  And sex for the first time in a year was sensational!  No pain at all!  I hope if some of you have success with this.  Try this link or google desquamative inflammatory vaginitis.

GOOD LUCK and THANKS AGAIN!!!

http://www.drexelmed.edu/FindaPhysician/MedicalPractices/ObstetricsGynecology/DepartmentDivisions/VaginitisCenter/DesquamativeInflammatoryVaginitis/tabid/539/Default.aspx
Sorry, I forgot to mention that I was also on Diflucan to prevent yeast infection during this 2 weeks of Clinamax.

GOOD LUCK!  Don't forget to google desquamative inflammatory vaginitis.  
Ok I too am someone who has Group Strep B and is NOT pregnant. I believed it started after I overused antibiotics like Diflucan and Flagyl to help with horrible itching I was having in the feminine area.

When the itching finally stopped after 5 Diflucan I was left with yellow discharge and a diagnosis or Group Strep B from my gyno. He tried to give me Boric Acid Suppositories in hopes of changing my PH but that didn't work. Penicillen helped but still yellow discharge. Finally I did alot of internet research and tried this! It worked! White clear discharge and maybe one yellow dot at times and getting better. Read on

Take two tablets twice a day unless stated below- All can be found in the healthfood store.

Bee Propolis
Grapefruit Seed Extract
Super Echinacea
PH-Basic (plant caplet to regulate PH- 5 a day)
Vitamin C (1000mg) - might be one tablet
Colloidal Silver (only once a day)

This worked for me within HOURS. This is the first time I haven't had to wear a pantyliner in 6 months! I had great results with this, hope it helps. Btw other people have also tried Garlic clovers or capsules added to this list with success, but I didnt.
I am having difficulty locating the PH Basic. Could you tell me where you found it? I have looked on online health food stores and I can't find it.
Thanks,
Sorry that question was meant for you. Where are you finding the PH Basic. Thanks
I was diagnosed with group b strep last october. I have had 3 cultures done and 3 rounds of antibiotics and still positive for group b strep. I usually don't have the burning or itching but have had this happen on occasion. Most of the time I have a very thick white pasty discharge. Does anyone else experience this? I am going to try to get my dr to prescribe the Clindamax 2% cream as i have heard this is the most effective treatment.
I was diagnosed with strep B last year.  I believe this problem has existed for me for a VERY  long time.  Long history of bladder infections and vaginal infections.  Regular bladder medications would not work.  Erythomycin (spelling?) was given after culture showed "different bacteria" in urine.  Uncircumsized husband started having penile irriations after sex with me.  Long history of vaginal redness during period with external skin effects.  A lot of blood in urine one day prior to diagnosis, not related to bladder infection.  Diagnosis made by urogynecologist after discharge increased with using health store suppositories for maintaining vaginal ph.  This led to my diagnosis.  Amoxil 500 was given and no more problems! Husband was not treated and he is fine also. It has been a year now.  No more external/internal vaginal skin irritations during period either. No more bladder infections.  I hope it doesn't return! Good luck to everybody, I had this problem for years (can't even count).
I'm wondering how you found a specialist?  Where did you go?  
Hello there,

Well, my strep was cleared up by Goldenseal suppositories... but the symptoms continue!  So, now I am looking into desquamative vaginosis and cytolytic vaginosis.  I wish all of you good luck...
Hello all:

I am 27 years old and have had issues with Strep B for the last two years...My problems started after dating a man who was uncircumsized.  I have found that symtoms will appear every 4-6 months.  My symptoms include burning, itching and redness but little to no discharge.  I have found some success in using the Rephresh vaginal gel which helps restore your body's PH.  

I hope that this isn't something that lasts forever but I definitely will try homiopathic methods before taking anti-biotics.

Ok, for one... If you are getting diagnosed with Strep B you have to realize a few things. 1.) This was either GENETIC or it was the cause of a low immune system. You cannot just "acquire" strep b. It isnt triggered by anything, having rough sex, too much sex, douching blahblahblah will not cause strep B. Ive been back and fourth with my doctor because i just got diagnosed with strep b and i wanted to find out more. My story basically is when i was younger, kindergarden, i was very sick- almost got held back, i was constantly fevering the whole 9 yards. It took about 3 years for me to go back to normal and they didnt know why i was so on again off again sick. Now ever since i can remember (probably around 13yrs old) i remember always being more...moist/lubricated/wet then how i thought normal girls should be. But everytime i talked to a doctor they told me if its been a constant in your life from little on then its just how your body is. Too bad. Now i find out i have strep B which is why i was sick so long because when they find it in non-pregnant women its generally effecting your immune system. Most of the time they DO NOT treat Strep B in non pregnant women because... itll always come back. Its a bacteria that is everlasting if you have strep b youll have strep b for the rest of your life theres no cure. I am very symptomatic and ive gone through round after round of 1900mg's a day of amoxicilin which help a slight odor but the wetness is still there. The antiobiotics only help for about 2 months then back to the same stuff So if you have a history of diabetes mellitus; liver disease; history of stroke; history of cancer; or bed sores your more likely for the bacteria Strep B to show itself because those things mainly effect immune system. Basically all you can do is manage life and try to treat the symptoms but because its a bacteria theres not much you can do :/ it really *****.
I'm glad to find this forum.  I am 49 y/o, never been pregnant, never gonna be.  Menopausal since I was 41.  Finally after 8 years of hot flashes, I 'gave in' and started a bio-identical formulary HRT almost two months ago.  Soon it appeared I had a yeast infection, I treated myself, it recurred within days, a month in my doc confirmed yeast when doing my annual.  She prescribed diflucan, one pill for me, one for partner.  A week later it recurred again so I now started a 7 day course of diflucan, in the midst of that I had another unrelated issue, her NP partner did a culture.  She just called me to say it's Strep B, but there's not much to do and hopefully my body will continue to adjust to the hormone levels.  This absolutely came about from the HRT.  I'm wondering if it's worth it, my flora was doing just fine.  Now as some of the above posters, I have this somewhat thickish yellow discharge, usually daily, my underwear is all stained now, I have to change it more than once a day, hate wearing panty liners.  None of you see to mention any HRT connection, but I know this was a result of changing  my hormones.  It doesn't itch and it's not painful, so I suppose I should feel grateful for that.  Thanks for the information.  
Thanks so much for all posts and so glad to find this site but so sorry about all of us with this dis-ease. This summer, after having unprotected sex, getting the "fishy ****" flora, being treated with antibiotics, yeast medicine, and now this StrepB and penicillin, more yeast meds and again this StrepB invades my privates.  Thanks for all the advice I'll take the recommendations to my next Dr. visit and will combine the homeopathatics along with a month-long juice fast.  I need to return to normalcy ... but I am thankful because it could have been worse.
Where can I get Goldenseal inserts?
After being on augmentin for upper respitory, I developed what I thought was a yeast infection.  I hadn't had one in years.  Got monistat over the counter, seemed to work.  Then a week later it seemed to come back.  Terrible itch and inflammation.  Went to the gyno and he said strep B.  I am 53, stopped having my periods 3 years ago, married.  He gave me some type of vaginal cream which made it worse.  Went back again to be retested.  Not so much itchiness, but burning sensation.  He culture came up as something called straaga, which again, is strep B.  He gave me a 3 day cleocin suppository, which has done nothing.  This is so frustrating.  I am wondering if I should try penicillin.  I am taking the superdopolus to avoid yeast infections.  Any ideas??
A Week after I had unprotected sex I started itching really bad and have this yellow/green discharge, all my test for std's came out negative, then they did further testing and it came back that I have strep B, The itchiness is terrible! they have tried to give me augmentin and also had me douche with augementin , I ve tried flagy and levaquin, none of them worked. its been 3 months already and they are still trying to work with me, As of friday they have put me on dicloxcillin 500mg, I feel  little bit better. The guy I had unprotected sex with has diabetes and might be carrying the infection around with him, Also I found out he sleeps with several different women. Its driving me insane and makin very depressed.. gl all
My Pap resulted in positive Step B, and I was prescribed Cleocin suppositories, which I will begin taking tonight. Hope it works. The discharge is so annoying. I dont know how I got this but want to get rid of it so bad.
I have tried all the antibiotics and it did not work. I have a rx for the climdmycin cream for 14 days and am going to try that along with taking diflucan to see if this will clear it up. I will repost and let everyone know. I am so sick of dealing with this..
well I just wanted to update on here since my last post, So I have been positive with this strep b for over 3 months and the itching and discharge are crazy, But as of last friday they started me on another antibiotic since the augmentin and levaquin didnt work, this one is called dicloxcillin 500mg and im takin it with diflucan 200mg, the dicloxcillin im takin it 4 times a day and i feel so much better!! the itching and discharge has STOPPED! for the first time in 3 months...... I feel great, I went to my gyn today he checked it out and he was happy with what he saw, so, If anyone is having the problems i had for 3 months I would ask your doctor about this medication, its strictly for strep b. good luck u guys
I also was just diagnosed with Strep B after having a yeast infection and suffering from that yellow, chronic, discharge.  Luckily, I have no discomfort or odor, it's more annoying than anything else but nonetheless, I want this thing to go away.  I'm still not certain as to how I could have gotten this.  I also am in menopause, am 37 and was put on HRT at 18 yrs. old.    I have always have had discharge, but not chronically and not yellow.  Around the beginning of the year it started changing yet my HRT hasn't changed in years.  I started pennicillin today, twice a day for 1 week to see if it will clear up.  If it still is there, I will talk to the Dr. about Clindamax.  Good luck to anyone with this annoying problem.  I'm hoping this course of antibiotics works.  
7 months ago I noticed an orange-ish/light brown discharge, and slight burning around my vagina.  Went to two different gynos, both said it looks like BV or yeast.  Was treated with metronidozol (I think it's called flagyl in the US (I'm in Latvia now)) twice, which both times brought up real yeast infections.  Finally went to a third gyno for what I thought was yeast from the last metronidazol.  She finally did a full work-up, and it turns out the now white, burning discharge I have is not yeast, but strep (Enterococcus).  I remember being tested positive for strep B when preg. with kid #2 (I have 4, am 40 y.o.), the OB said it's normal, it's always there, just sometimes it flares up, esp. during pregnancy.  Never had any problem with discharge, yeast infections, until this last summer.

Anyway, the new gyno put me on Norfloxacin 400mg 2x a day, and on the seventh day take one diflucan as well as insert Gynofort creme to keep yeast at bay from the antibiotic.  Then she said that I should use probiotic suppositories once a week for the rest of my life, profilactically.  I had been douching with peroxide, vinegar and using boric acid to get rid of what I thought was yeast, and my poor vagina is probably pretty battered and tired right now, she said.  My emotional state is just as battered, I assure you.  I was going crazy, the first two gynos gave up on me, said they don't know what to with me.  This site has saved my life!
Tried the clindamycin cream for 14 days. Still have the same symptoms. I am trying the pills from the health food store. The oBGYN office is NOT helping at all.
I'm so glad I've found this site.  I've been suffering with infections for over a year now.  I'm having vaginal infections, bad breath, and body odor.  It makes you feel like your stupid and lowers self esteem.  My doctor says it's not my hygiene but a bacterial infection.  So, gel after gel, then diflucan...  Finally he did a culture and found strep B.  Now I'm on ampicillin 500mg and gel.  If this doesn't work, I'll show him this site and have a long discussion.  I'll let you know...

Is anyone else having bad breath/body odor problems (other than vaginal area)?
OMG I can't say how happy I am to have found this site. I have been dealing with the same problems as most of you! I am a newlywed and my new husband and I are so frustrated. I thought it was a reocurring yeast infection but found out today it is Strep. Picked up ampicillin today. I pray this works! I miss feeling normal.

Really what I don't understand is how it always seems that the medical community knows very little about vaginal problems. How did we all not know about the possible problems with strep bacteria? I feel like its this big secret.

Good luck to all...please post updates on your wellbeing!!
I finished my 7-day course of antibiotics and everything seemed back to normal.  I was so happy!  Midway through I got my period.  Now my period is over, and the white discharge and burning/itching is back.  Needless to say, I am devastated (I'm quite the hypochondriac, and this has brought on severe anxiety and depression).  
My gyno gave me a list of what to do, and the next thing is to take one diflucan and use Gynofort cream (one-time dose).  If these don't work, then my next option is a vaccine.  I don't know what it's called, it might not be available in the US.  My gyno says that she's ambivalent about this vaccine, but that she has some patients who swear by it.  It lasts about a year.  I'll post again about my progress.
BTW, back when I thought it was yeast, I tried a no-sugar diet, ate at least 2 cloves of garlic a day, took grapeseed extract, and ate coconut oil.  Didn't do a thing.
Hi everyone. I posted back in March but I have been following the posts ever since and wanted to update everyone on my progress, which I don't really know that I would call it progress. I kinda gave up on antibiotics. Seems that no matter what I take it never completely goes away. Antibiotics will knock out the itching and burning when it flares up but the white pasty discharge never goes away. I just had another flare up and went back to the dr and she saw BV. Usually they will find either yeast or bv along with the strep. She said when my culture comes back if it shows strep again, which I'm sure it will, they are going to do Gintin Violet (not exactly sure of the spelling). It is a dye that they paint all over in the vagina that kills EVERYTHING, even Strep B. Basically wipes the slate clean. But the most important thing about this is establishing the GOOD flora before all the other bad bacteria set in again. Because as some of you may know, strep b is a natural bacteria in some of us, about 50% of us from what I understand. It lives in our gut and bowels. The problem arises when the strep takes over because the good bacteria was diminished at some point. So, if the good flora is not reestablished after killing the strep, whether by antibiotics or in my case Gintin Violet the strep will migrate back into the vagina via the bowels and take over again. My doctor told me the best way to do this is by taking acidophilus orally or acidophilus suppositories and to start before the procedure to try to build it up definitely continue after the procedure probably for the rest of my life. For me I'm can pinpoint exactly when my problems started. I had a minor in office procedure done to remove some inflammed hymen lining in my vagina. I had stitches and got a very bad bacterial infection. So I was given Clindesse. As some of you may know Clindesse is a very strong vaginal antibiotic that wipes out all bacterias. But Strep B is very resistant to most antibiotics. So, the strep took over and I have not been able to reestablish my good flora since. This was May 2008! Ever since then I have been battling BV, Yeast, and this awful antibiotic resistant strep! I have read numerous times that antibiotics usually will not rid someone of Strep B completely and as soon as antibiotics are stopped the Strep B will flourish again. I also had a hysterectomy in 2006 at 26 years old. I still have 1 ovary but if the estrogen has dropped this plays a critical role in the reestablishment of lactic acid producing flora. The good bacteria thrive on an estrogen rich vaginal mucosa. They feed on it and estrogen also lowers the PH of the vagina which good flora thrive in. They good flora also produce and acidic environment which keeps ph low. Bad bacterias can not thrive in low ph. My dr said that she has seen strep B in a low ph but for the most part someone suffering from an overabundance of Strep B will show a high ph. I have done a lot of research on probiotics and the best ones I've found are those that are refrigerated and include Ultimate Flora Vaginal Support by Renew Life and Fem-dophilus. They focus on the bacterias that normally live in the vagina. I hope what little information I have learned about Strep B will help others. I don't know if this will work for me or you. But it seems most logical to me. It's not all about trying to kill the strep. You have to understand why it's taking over in the first place and correct that before you will see improvements.
I'm so happy I happened upon this site.
When I was 18, I was diagnosed with group B strep.  After my round of amoxicillian and subsequent treatment for a slight yeast infection, I was better.  But now, I'm having similar symptoms again.  Rather than go back to the doctor and get more pills to take, I'm going to try some of the more natural cures that were suggested.
I'm also super happy to know that this isn't as rare as I thought it was.
Thanks, everyone!
I am so happy to come upon this site today.  I was recently told by my gyn that I have Strep B.  My trouble began with food poisoning a couple of years ago.  My intestenal track had not been the same since.  Then I started having vaginal redness and a slight milky white discharge that seemed to cause the vaginal redness.  When I first saw my gyn in Oct. for this problem he found E-coli.  I was given Bactrum for 5 days but it still was not cleared up.  So I went back to the gyn and he informed me the e-coli was gone but Strep B showed up now.  He gave  the Clindamycin vaginal cream for the Strep B and I finished that a couple of weeks ago and it still has not gone away. Had a series of Blood tests done and a stool sample. Blood tests were all normal but the stool sample came back with  C-diff in my intestenal track. The medications I took  allowed for all the bad bacteria to grow.   I was then put on Alinia medication for the C-diff which has helped a great deal and I thought the Strep B would be gone. But the redness returned yesterday along with the discharge. I called my holistic M.D. and He told me to get Flora Myces because all of my good bacteria most likely is gone and it is just as effective as some of the antibiotics.  I started taking it today.  Will let you know it if works.  
im 16 and i have been having strep b symptoms i guess for like 6-8 months now. it all started when i first has sex. now everytime i have sex or get off my period its back. i have tried anti biotics, creams, these torpedo shaped things and none of them have worked. and as i looked up strep b all i found was stuff bout having it when ur pregnant. i just wanted to say thanks for posting all ur experiences on here and what u did. i was really gettin scared. but now my mom will take me to a gnocologyst and get this all fixed. thanks!
I was first diagnosed with strep B when I was pregnant with my first child (I had had 5 miscarriages) at age 41.  Since I am severely allergic to penicillin, they could not treat it, so cesearean was my only option. The dr would not deliver through the vaginal canal as it would endanger the baby's life.  I was not treated after I gave birth, and neither was my daughter.  She is now 14 and from an early age she was always very sick with croup and fever and they missed the diagnosis of asthma (didn't diagnose her until she was 13, and only because I was so fed up with her constantly being told she had sinusitis and given one antibiotic after another).  She saw a pulmonologist and she not only had asthma, but also severe acid reflux that caused vocal cord dysfunction (larynegeal reflux). She has a weakened immune system when tested by an allergist/immunologist and the she has no antibodies for strep B!  

The interesting things is that neither of us ever had strep A (regular strep - me as a child or her up to now).  Strep A has nothing to do with Strep B on all fronts.  

Over the years I was diagnosed with bacterial vaginosis and nothing really cured it.  For the past 2 years, I've been plagued with strep B, however, my symptoms are a foul odor  when I urinate.  My urine burns as well. I was so convinced it might be a urine infection which is how I stumbled upon the strep B.  However, staph aureus also showed up.  How I got that I don't know.  I haven't had sex since 1998 as my husband and I are divorced and I don't date. My gynecologist ordered 3 days of cleocin ovules, and then another round to be on the safe side.  The odor completely disappeared as did the burning. I felt great.  I was treated for this in the spring of 09.

However, about 2 months ago, the symptoms reappeared.  I was recently tested again, and I'm sure that both are back.  I have no itching and very little discharge.  Even though I started menopause 10 years ago, and I never used any hormones, I still feel I'm lubricated enough.  On the last exam though, I had such pain when the gyney inserted the speculum (I've had that kind of pain in the vaginal tract for over 15 years, and this gynecologist I have now, is the only one who could examine me and not cause pain - she used a pediatric speculum).  She said that the lining of my vagina was so painfully thin and atrophied.  In testing all my hormones, she found I am basically depleted.  I am not a candidate for bioidentical hormones as 10 years is too late to start, and I also developed hypertension this past summer due to a possible blocked renal artery (I think if I had started hormones when I first stopped my period 10 years ago, perhaps my hypertension and cholesterol issues would not have occurred).  

I also developed a tumor on my adrenal gland, a cyst in my breast which turned out to be a fibroadenoma, and I lost 30lbs when I was diagnosed with the hypertension. I cannot take any meds as they all elevate my bp.  I learned a lot about all that over the past 6 months, and my levels of vit D3 also dropped significantly (I am now taking 2000 units a day to increase the levels).  It is all mind boggling that women have so many things to worry about and so much can go wrong when menopause starts. To add to it, I started getting rheumatological symptoms. I had to ask my internist to do a rheumatoid panel (heaven forbid he would have thought about it himself; I no longer go to him by the way) and it showed an elevated ANA level and sjogren's B.  Apparentely, if you have sjogren's AB or B, you can have dyspareunia (painful intercourse or painful vaginal tract due to dryness since sjogren's dries up saliva (I had my salivary gland taken out in 1990 way before i even knew I had this disease, because I developed a tumor) and dry eye (which I don't have, but I do experience huge cysts in the orbit of my eye which no one could identify - no eye dr, no allergist - it is all from the sjogren's).  

So I am now awaiting the results of these newest cultures and blood work and my gynecologist did call the day before christmas eve but I missed her call.  Obviously, something showed up.  I am concerned about my daughter also having strep B issues as well.  I had no hot flashes during menopause. The only symptoms I had were horrific mood swings (worse than PMS and getting worse as we speak but now nothing can be done for that; I'm getting more depressed and anxious and the insomnia never ends - I've never gotten more than 3-4 hours of sleep per night since I started menopause; it's so stressful).

Good luck to all!
I agree with the comment of why we might get strep, because of the lack of good bacteria.  I believe BV medications might cause strep to become out of control.  These medications to my understanding kill most bacteria, but not STREP and allow this bacteria to become out of control in a person who carries this bacteria.  I personally take acidophilus everyday and did so prior to my diagnosis of strep B.  To my knowledge I have not had a return of strep B.  I believe I am perimenopausal at 45 years old and notice vaginal irritations here and there, MAYBE presence of BV from time to time after some periods.  Not sure, I was told I had excessive normal discharge after being treated for strep B. I really do not want to take these BV medications again, only if absolutely necessary.  Have not had symptoms that I feel need to be treated.  Still no Strep B noticed and without external problems.  I thought for a long time (years) that I had an allergy to feminine pads but after treatment for strep B, I realized there is no allergy.  I do not have to use prescribed vaginal creams any longer on my periods.  Thank God!  This is my seond post for any one interested.
For the past 3 months, I have been experiencing burning and swelling in my vagina.  I kept thinking it was a yeast infection that wouldn't go away and spent sooo much money on different yeast infection treatments and visits to the doctor.  Let alone all of the stress and anxiety this has caused!  Well anyway, I had another test done and it tested positive for this strep B.  The doctor told me not to worry that it was only an issue if I got pregnant.  I still had the burning problem then finally did some research and found out that strep B can cause this!! I was relieved in a way to find out what the actual problem was, but also bummed to find out there is no real way to get rid of it it seems like.  I'm on the 5th day of a 10 day prescription of amoxciliin and it doesn't feel as though it is working at all yet.  This is very frustrating! Please if anyone has had success in finding a way to get rid of this please post! I will try some of the supplements that were recommended but it is just so discouraging :-(  I'm so glad to find this site though and realize that I am not alone.  
kind of similar symtoms as posted here...i was taking flagyl and i finished it and now the symtoms i was having before feel like their starting up again ive had a light brownish discharge and lower stomach pain its not as bad as before but the doctor said i had a bacteria infection wondering now if i got a yeast infection from the flagyl or if its a bacteria infection?????could this be happening because i may be pregnant which i dont think i am..... can someone please help me
I was diagnosed with really bad kidney and urinary tract infections and when the urine was sent out to a lab it was discovered there was strep B in it. I took a week of Cirpo and then it came back so I took a week of Bactrim and it still came back so low i am on levaquin. What would cause this strep to be in my urine and cause infections that don't go away?
I can't tell you how happy I am to have stumbled upon this site.  I've been dealing with all of these symptoms for close to 2 years.  I'm on my 2nd gynecologist and he's doing everything he can to help get to the bottom of my issues.  

Finally, today, he cultured me for Strep B.  When I told him that I'd tested + for this when I was pregnant with my 2nd child, he's pretty much convinced the culture today will be Strep B and plans to treat me with 2 wks of Amoxicillin.  But after reading all of your posts, I'm quite skeptical about taking it.  I know for sure that this will result in more yeast, which has also been chronic.

Unfortunately for me, I have a severly compromised immune system.  I was diagnosed with Chronic Fatigue Syndrome 3 years ago and am susceptible to just about everything under the sun.  My markers for HSV-1 are off the charts, but I have never tested positive for genital herpes.  

This new doc has treated me with Gentian Violet for yeast (one gal mentioned it above) and that worked quite well.  He's also suggested that an alternative to antibiotics for Strep B (it also cures yeast inf.) could be inserting a clove of garlic, tied off with a piece of dental floss, into the vagina at night time for a couple of days.  Apparently there have been studies in Israel that show this as a proven treatment AND said that this has been something women there have used for hundreds of years.  Here's a page that talks about the treatment; http://www.midwiferytoday.com/articles/garlic.asp  

Dealing with these recurrent infections for so long have been so incredibly draining on me emotionally and physically...not to mention my sex life.  I've had recurrent UTI's my entire life and have to take profilactic antibiotics with intercourse everytime.  I'm sure that's not helping matters either.  

I plan on showing all of this to my doc when I talk to him on Monday.
I am 36 & married. Let me start by saying that I have not been prone to yeast infections or BV. I am a redhead so my skin is sensitive, so frequent oral or vaginal sex can make me irritated but nothing like a true infection. I have my periods around the 20th of each month and they last from 5-7 days. I ovulate at the beginning of the month, during ovulation I have a lot of discharge for about 2 days. I did not have strep B during either of my pregnancies.

I have been dealing with BV starting July 4 09.  I started out with itchy burning redness  and a discharge that was creamy yellow in color and was chunky but not like a yeast infection. I went to the GYN she did a culture, told me it was bacterial and gave me a 5 day Z Pack antibiotic and a topical cream(cant remember the name). It cleared up for a couple of months.  In late Sept. 09 I started having irritation again with a yellowish white thick discharge.  I had to wait until my period was over, then went to my quick care(10/7/09) at the suggestion of the gyn receptionist because they were booked for 2 months.  Again they did an in office vaginal culture found it was BV & prescribed a 10 day course of Flaghyl which ended on Oct. 18. I then had my period around the 20th.  It seamed to be cleared up, or so I thought.

I was ok for a couple of weeks. I had sex a couple of times & ovulated. Then it came back the week before thanksgiving.  my period started & i had to wait until the 1st week in Decto go to the Quick care again.  This time i had an indepth discussion with doctor about what can cause BV.  I am very careful about all of the things we talked about.  This time they did a culture and sent it to the lab(results took 1 wk) and found Strep B and a little bit of yeast.  He prescribed me penicillin 10days & diflucan which i finished Dec. 26. Penicillin seamed to work really well.  my symptoms cleared up almost immediatley and I thought it was gone for good.  

I seemed to be fine until I ovulated around Jan 7. My poor husband got to have sex once and on the 10th symptom returned.  I made my husband go with me this time when I went to the doctor on Jan 15th to make sure he wasnt the problem. He checked out fine.  They sent another culture to the lab which came back Strep B.  I was prescribed a 14 day course of Cefelaxin which is a generic for Keflex. I also started taking multi vitamins and 14,000 units of oral acidopholous from GNC daily.  The antibiotics seamed to be clearing it up at first, but by the time my prescription ended on the Feb 3rd, I was sure it would be coming back & I was right. I ovulated, but my poor husband missed his window of opprotunity for sex because he was out of town.  By Friday the Feb 5th I started getting irritation and on Sunday the  Feb 7th I was flaming ready itchy and feel like my vagina is raw.

I have an appointment with my Gyn on Wed the 10th.  I'm going to discuss some of the treatments discussed on the boards, to see what I can do to regulate my system and get this under control.  For me, It seems like the heavy discharge during ovulation triggers a new flare up of symptoms. A lot of posts mention thick white discharge with no other symptoms.  I wish that was the only symptom I had.  The redness, itchyness & raw feeling really *****.  What little sex I had with my husband is now non existent.  He tried this morning & I had to tell him my BV was back again.  I just want it all to go away!!  I will post my discussion with my doctor and how the treatment works.  

Thank you to everyone who has taken time to post.      
I posted a couple of days ago and wanted to follow up with what my doctor and I chatted about today.  I did test positive for Strep B.  Because my immune system is so out of whack and I'm so prone to yeast infections, he's having me try inserting a clove of garlic vaginally every other night for 2 weeks.  I'll then go back and see him to be cultured again and see if it was effective.  Fingers crossed!!!!

I'll check back in and post my results.
This is, I think, my 3rd post here, and I believe I've been cured!!  Yes, for real!!  For months I had a burning, white discharge after taking flagyl and anti-yeast meds for what I know believe to have been vaginal atrophy due to breastfeeding.  My gynos didn't even offer the vaginal atrophy as an explanation even though I asked about it, but after reading up on it, I'm sure that's what I had.  I was no longer nursing, but the white discharge and pain and itching were seriously affecting my mental health.  All STD tests were neg, as were yeast and BV tests.  Finallly my 3rd gyno wrote out a prescription for SolcoTrichovac, a vaccine that helps agains Trichomoniasis (which I didn't have) and other, "nonspecific bacterial infections".  The gyno wasn't too enthusiastic about the vaccine, but she had nothing else to offer, and she said she had patients who swear by it.  After the 2nd of 3 injections, each 2 weeks apart, the white discharge and burning, raw vagina is gone!  I had been using boric acid suppositories for months as the only short-term cure that worked.  I tried everything, orally and vaginally -- probiotics, garlic, propolis, hydrogen peroxide, only the boric acid worked for 12 - 24 hours, and now of course, the vaccine.  Don't know if it's available outside of Europe.  I hope the results last.  I'll post back if they don't.
Hello Ladies, I am a 34 year old married women that had been suffering from burning and itching for months. I also tested positive for strep B. That was the only thing my doctors could come up with after repeat visits from this problem. I was put on several antibotics, meds to treat yeast infections, garlic pills, probiotics, nothing helped. I am thrilled to say that I did find help from a midwife that informed me that strep b should not be causing burning, itching or discomfort. She tested me for low estrogen and that was the problem. She put me on estrace cream, clobetasol and a low dose (10mg) of fluoxetine( don't be alarmed, it is use to help with nerve pain) for 4 weeks. I am 33 years old and I am feeling better than ever! Low estrogen can be brought on by stress, bad diet, family history and so many other things. Get tested before you take anymore unneeded antibotics or other meds that make the problem worse. Good Health, Ladies!
Sorry Ladies, I'm 34. Just had a birthday I must be trying to forget:)
I am 24 and I had a yeast infection a few weeks ago and I started my monthly cycle but only it was different. I was in alot of pain and though it was a UTI but I went to my doctor and the ran test's and said that I had Strep in my Vagina and she put me Cypro and other meds and gave me pain meds but nothing is helping at all. She told me to take Amox but I just can't deal with any of it anymore and im not preg' so waht do I do please Hepl Me!
I too have suffered the dreaded strep b nothing treated it and nothing worked. I am also a Christian and after prayer at church I tested negative twice. I just wanted to share this with all you ladies out there suffering. I know how awful it is so please dont laugh or think that God couldn't do this for you too. Strep B can be a cause for despair so give God a chance.
Hey, I just wanted to recommend this book really highly.  It will really illuminate a lot of vaginal conditions and help you talk to your doctor or find a better one:

http://www.amazon.com/Book-Doctors-Complete-Vulvovaginal-Health/dp/0553381148/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1268139049&sr=8-1
i need some help. for the past three and a half months i have been suffering with itching, redness, rawness, swelling and white/yellow pasty/jelly like discharge. i have been treated for thrush 5 times been to my gp and 2 gum clinics-all useless. tested positive for strep last week and given 250mg amoxcicillin three times a day for 5 days. i completed this and took a fluconazole tablet for thrush (in case the antibitotics caused thrush) and clotrimazole cream twice a day for 7 days. the antibiotics worked really well and discharge cleared up after a few days. however, its just coming back again even worse. im on the pill and went to see my nurse for a repeat prescription on monday and she said that i might need a 15 day course of amoxcicillin. im dreading going back to my doctors as they will probably have to test me again as i had it diagnosed at a gum clinic and probably dont share notes. im sick of people prodding at me when im sore. is it true you can test for strep through urine? does anybody have a good home remedy for this awful illness? im always in a bad mood and i havent had sex in four months and im 20! boyfriend says he understands but our relationship is wearing thin. please help!
I posted a little while ago, and my cultures always show strep B. I've been dealing with this since I was pregnant in 1995.  However, these symptoms are different than what i had in 1995.  They are pain, burning and a fowl smelling discharge/urine. I thought perhaps it was the fish oil. Then at one point (I don't trust the cultures anymore), it came back with e coli! Please! I am super clean, never wipe the wrong way (that is how you apparently get it), and can't understand for the life of me how it would indicate e coli. So the dr gave me the same treatment again - 3 days of cleocin ovules. They work each time, whether strep B or the one time culture of e coli, however; it comes back again about 4-6 weeks later.  

I am post menopausal at age 57 and suffer so much NOW with menopause symptoms. In 1999, my periods just stopped.  I wish i had gone on bioidenticals, but the moron gynecologist i had back then, just told me "get used to menopause" - and i told her for the first time in my entire life i was gaining weight. I was never above 103lbs and only gained 27lbs during my pregnancy (my daughter was 9.5lbs when she was born), and I went right back to 103lbs.  The gyn said "that ship has sailed. deal with it and they should put prozac in the drinking water of every menopausal woman".  Needless to say, i never went back there!

Over the years, I was ignorant thinking if i didn't have hot flashes, i was ok.  BUT I did have a myriad of other symptoms like anxiety, depression, insomnia, mood swings and cravings! I ballooned up to 152lbs and couldn't lose the weight.  I had hair loss (still do) and it wasn't until I spoke to my gynecologist last year when suddenly my cholesterol and bp rose that she mentioned most of my symptoms were from menopause.  I can't even be examined anymore without jumping off the table because the pain is excruciating. I had my hormones tested and there is nothing left - I am fully depleted.  But they won't give me bioidenticals because it is 10 years after i stopped getting periods.  Meanwhile I can't control my bp because i reacted to every bp medication (paradoxically or with suicide headaches, i.e. cluster headaches).  It is horrific what I am experiencing and what is worse is nothing can be done.

I believe that natural progesterone can cure all these symptoms from what I read in Dr. Lee's book and after visiting so many websites, but no one wants to take responsibility and order it for me.  They feel i'm high risk now with the elevated bp and cholesterol. Talk about a catch 22! i wouldn't have it if my hormones were level!  The lining in my vagina is so thin which is why i have pain on examination.  My mood swings are terrible (and my daughter is pms having started her periods) and i'm up until 2am nightly sometimes later.  The cravings for salt and sugar are awful.  I did lose 25lbs rapidly last summer when i found out my bp was high.  They also found a thickening of my adrenal gland and a possible blocked renal artery. How this all started in 1 year (10 years after menopause) I don't know.  But it is so frightening that I'm afraid to go anywhere - I haven't been on vacation in years and I was an avid traveler. Once I went into menopause, it all changed. Fears galore, and I refuse to take antidepressants as i don't believe in them.

Word of advice to all: if you are starting menopause, and don't have hot flashes ask your dr for bioidentical hormones if you have the other symptoms. I was naive, and when i heard oprah talk about them last year and how she went on them at age 55, I wished I had done so.  Since she probably just stopped her periods, she had a better chance of getting on them than I could because I stopped mine 10 years ago.

I can't bear thinking this is how I will have to spend the rest of my life AND with this recurring strep B if it truly is that.

good luck and God bless all!
Symptoms of extreme, crazy itching to the point where it make you feel insane!  Discharge of creamy, yellowish and greenish , without odor, just annoyance.  The later in the day it got, the worse it all became.  After a week I was cultured and also blood tested for every STD including AIDS.  All negaitve.  A week and a half later, moe tests, but all cultures and she did a"DNA" test that would require my lad work to be sent out to a third party to view.  Came back pos for strep but neg for absolutely everything else again.  .The reasons why they test us during pregnancy is because this is so easily transmitted to a child that is entering the world through a strep infected birth canal.  Eeeww..
I am now taking Pennacillin LX 500 mg 3x's/day.  I just hope this works and never ever comes back again.  And I hope my husband doesn't have to learn his lesson the hard way...patience pays in a much comforting way...---no itch for you!
I was diagnosed with vaginal strep infection by my gyno.  I had gone to him b/c I was having a watery discharge for several weeks which was not painful or itchy, but extremely annoying.  I had to change my underwear 3 times a day or wear a pad.  
The Dr. did not want to prescribe an antiobiotic b/c he said it would cause a yeast infection.  He said my culture showed that I had NO good bacteria in my body and that I should take acidophelus 2 times a day.
He also thought hormone deficiency contributed to the problem since I am in menopause so he prescribed a hormone cream.
After about a month and a half of taking the acidophelus and using the hormone cream, the discharge is completely gone.
So I suggest that any of you who have a similar problem should ask your dr. about these treatments.
Thank you for all of your posts regarding menopause and low estrogen.  I have been in menopause since age 18 and have been on HRT for nearly 20 years and for whatever reason, my estrogen has dipped even lower than it  has been.  On my 4th trip to the gyno, he finally told me that I am showing signs of vaginal atrophy and that is what is causing the chronic discharge.  He perscribed estrace cream and acidophillous like the poster before me and it has made a world of difference.  He also explained that the strep is most likely not causing the discharge, that is it the low estrogen.  I finally feel human again.  Thank you for your support and sharing your stories.  It really has made a difference.  Good luck to all that are experiencing this!
Group B strep is a normal vaginal commensal (a normal bacteria that lives there), just as we normally have bacteria living on our skin, up our nose and in our bowel. Commensals are normal and don't need treatment, and if treatment was given, it would likely recur anyway. Nothing remains sterile for long - the problem is if the wrong bacteria are in the wrong place and cause symptoms.

Group B strep only needs a treatment if you are pregnant, to prevent complications to the baby when you give birth vaginally.

(NB. I am a doctor who has done jobs in obstetrics & gynaecology and we don't treat Group B strep unless pregnant. I am actually on this forum as I was looking to see if Group G strep is a commensal or not.)
I'm not sure why you wouldn't treat patients for this. Having a foul smell, lots of yellow sticky discharge, not feeling well, bleeding inbetween periods should be a reason to be treated! My boyfriend has strep B and is diabetic, has an infection in his groin and had surgery and now carries a wound vac around for the past month. The problems keep coming back no matter how many antibiotics we have been on and we are afraid to have sex because this all started 3 months ago and BOTH of us have problems that we can't get rid of. Looks like we will always have it. Doctors need to treat and get rid of this before it kills someone! They don't take it seriously and don't think it's anything to worry about..I can tell you that they need to get it to understand how bad it really is!
Also~ My boyfriend asked his doctor after he had his surgery and was in the hospital if he could have given strep B to me. He told his doctor of the symptoms I was recently experiencing, and never in my whole life have I had any vaginal infection before! The doctor told him that it wasn't contagious. Funny how I never had strep B until NOW! I should know that this isn't just coincidence! I know my body and I am 40..Never had anything like this in my whole life! I just wish there were answers on how we BOTH can get rid of this!
Um, what? Why wouldn't you treat a strep infection in a non pregnant woman? It can become serious if it's severe and left untreated. I had it twice when I was NOT pregnant and they were quick to put me on amoxicillian.
As I've posted before, I found out I had strep B when pregnant 15 years ago with my first child. I believe all the symptoms I had in the past probably were caused by strep B but were misdiagnosed as BV.  Nothing ever cleared up the symptoms, and I was allergic to many of the meds.  When I was pregnant they told me penicillin is the only thing that would clear it up for good (ha!),but I didn't take it due to my allergies and had to have a cesearean. It has never gone away.  I eat a lot of garlic and use probiotics, and one of the dr's told me to use a plain yogurt with probiotics in it on my vagina to help with the burning. I haven't tried it  yet.

My symptoms are burning at the opening of the vagina and urinating makes the pain worse.  I use baby wipes for everything (with natural aloe) as toilet paper irritates (my gyn, a woman, had the audacity to say "why are you using baby wipes? use toilet paper it's cheaper! and i said if you ever experienced this kind of burning, you would never suggest that). I cannot have a vaginal exam any longer because my vagina tissue has atrophied so much and the gyn won't do a thing about it. She said I'm in/out of menopause 10 years so it's too late for bio-identicals.  I've used cleocin ovules (3 days - 2 rounds) and it will work for a few weeks, but then the pain is back.  The dr looks at me like it's my fault that it's returned. As I mentioned previously, the cultures come back strep b, then once staph aureus (I believe half of these lab techs don't know what they are doing) and once e coli! Come on!  I am meticulous in my wiping and showering habits, and it is unconscienable that a culture would result in that.

I am so desperate to find a solution to all this myself, and I don't believe it is because of weakened immune system from birth.  Perhaps, for me, I have been stressed out for many years, and that caused my immune system to weaken (my blood work is fine), but I was not a sickly child at all.  I never even had strep throat and haven't until this day, even though the two are unrelated.  What is interesting, is that even though I had a cesearean, my daughter has LOW STREP ANTIBODIES! She basically has no protection against strep.  She has never had strep throat (she is 15) but I am wondering if this is hereditary?  I am going to take her to the gynecologist (she is a bit scared) and they will do a half exam since she is a virgin.  I want to know if this poor child will be subjected to the horrors of this disease - sorry to the dr who posted and said this is normal, but IT IS NOT! IT IS DEVASTATING TO ALL OF US WHO HAVE IT - both physically and emotionally.  

As for the person who recommended raw garlic in the vagina, I personally would NEVER do that.  I am Italian and garlic does a lot of good, but if you touch it, you can feel a burn on your fingers; if you eat it raw, some people get such severe stomach pain it is unbearable.  I can't even fathom what a clove in the vagina would feel like - a burning that would be too much to endure especially on menopausal women whose vagina tissue is atrophied.  

I wish they could do something for the thin vaginal tissue, as I don't know how I can have another vaginal exam!

Good luck to all!
Hi there...

I'm the woman who used the garlic and I can certainly understand your position.  I have the exact same symptoms that you do, especially with the burning and irriation at the vaginal opening and the pain with urination.  The garlic didn't burn one bit, as I'd feared it would.  The only annoying part was the taste of garlic in my mouth was so strong, it woke me in the middle of the night.

Unfortunately, the garlic did not cure it.  It kept it bay for about a half a day after taking it out.  The doc re-cultured me and it was still showing a lot of GBS bacteria.  He put me on 2 weeks of amoxicillin and that was only a temporary fix.  It came right back after I completed the antibiotics AND it gave me a yeast infection!!

As for the atrophy and thin vaginal tissue, talk to your doctor about Estrogen cream, especially if you've gone through menopause.  Personally, I haven't gone through it yet, but my GYN put me on Estrace cream to help with the irritation at the opening.  Where my episiotomy scar is, it  rips and bleeds with intercouse, everytime, without fail.  I can't really say that this worked for me because the side effects were a little too intense for me.  Maybe because my body is still producing enough Estrogen??

Thankfully, my doc is very open to alternative methods of treating this.  For the last 4 weeks he's had me douching with a solution of Hibiclense and (I use distilled) water.  Hibiclense is a surgical grade liquid soap. Doctors use this as a vaginal wash before performing any type of vaginal surgery AND I've discovered that midwives, who deliver babies at home, have women, who are GBS positive, douche with this mixture every 2hrs while they're in labor.  The obviously can't run an IV drip of antibiotics like you'd get at the hospital!!   I know, sounds crazy and VERY painful, but it is the ONLY thing that is working for me.  The ratio is 2tsps to every 20oz of water.  I do this twice a week and it's been really good at keeping the pain and irritation under control.  The only place I have any burning is at the opening, where's it's already raw.  No pain at all inside.  The pain is not bad, by any means, just a little irritating for about 15 minutes.

I've even gone so far as to stop using toilet paper at all.  I've switched to a diluted mixture of Hibiclense and water soaked paper towels to wipe with.  I carry a few in a ziploc bag with me in my purse and have a bunch more in a large ziploc bag next to the toilet.  This may be less irritating than even the baby wipes, which contain perfumes.

I went back in to see him 3 weeks after douching with the above mix.  He said that my vagina hadn't looked that clear in all the time he's been trying to treat this with me.  He did admit that he's still puzzled as to what's going on with the burning and irritation at the opening.  He's got me using a cortisone cream called, Clobetasol.

Good luck!!!
I'm having a very hard time believing normal healthy women are just have strep B. I'm 31 and have always been healthy with the few partners I've had. I was also with an uncircumcised man (which seems to be a trend and unfortuantely he forced himself on me w/o condom) after that I had this horrible yellow discharge and constant pain. I've only tried one round of antibotics and they worked but as other mentioned the discomfort came back. I've been scanning the forums and here's what I found out:

Push your doctor to check what you have. As one person mentioned a lot of doctors are saying it's strep B and it actually might be something else.
-Take femo-dophilus on a regular basis to help good bacteria
-Can insert lacidobacillus directly in the vagina 3 times a week.
-There's a douching recipe with beta carotene.
- acidic vaginal gelly has worked for some
- Plus up on vitamins, and anti-oxidents
- For those with HPV, viral free seems to be a good supplement

I feel the biggest problem is no one tells you about this stuff. Where is the educaiton so you can prevent?

Good luck you guys! Why is no one finding cures for this stuff? It's debilitating.
I went to the doctor about a Uti; Urinary tract infection.A while back, I was positive for it, i got medicine and it didn't help. i went to the Hospital because it was very painful. they actually told me they didnt know what to do!So they said they were done with their evaluation or whater.. So i went  back to my family doctor about two week's later for another test and it came back i had Group B Strep[not the kind in your throat], and not to mention im only 13.  im not sexually active, Ive never done anything with anyone,and i was tested not pregnant. does anyone know how i got this? I looked it up and its all about newborns or pregnant women. If you have any idea, email me at ***@****   excuse the name, Ive had it since i was seven(:
I developed itching, burning and redness/rawness about day three of my period. It continued to get worse and worse and I begged my doctor to do a culture after a failed attempt to treat what she thought was a yeast infection (I did the Diflucan and the suppositories, but to no avail, just as I suspected). The cultures came back negative for everything but Strep A which surprised her. Strangely, I also noticed that I was slowly developing a bad sore throat. She decided to give me a Z-pac antibiotic and my symptoms were markedly better after 24 hours. Is it possible to have a Strep A infection in the vaginal area even though it is a sore throat illness? I wonder? I pray it does not return! Anyone else test positive for Strep A (not B) in the vaginal region?
I can't believe it took me five years to learn enough to find this forum and discover what has been plaguing me. I feel like the doctors have either not been smart enough to know or, more likely, have been keeping it a secret from me. I'm usually a very tough woman unafraid of confrontation, but what is it about doctors that makes you shy? Since my hysterectomy (complete, only my cervix is still there) in May 2005 I have had the thick white discharge every single day. Sometimes it gets worse, yellowish, I've even seen what looks like brown blood now and then and occasionally have felt pain that may or may not be related. I've been to four (?) doctors, had more treatments, creams, antibiotics, than I can remember, including freezing (painful!), and nothing has worked. Today I got a clear answer at least about what I have: Strep B. Now I'm starting amoxycillin, 3x/day for 7 days. I don't know the mg yet. After reading all the posts, I have no illusions that I will be "cured." I have started on the probiotic pills and will start the vaginal pH balancing treatments after the antibiotic is finished. This has affected my relationship and the way I look at myself. I used to think of myself as sexy and desirable, and now I feel ... sexually disabled? Definitely not like the sexual person I used to be, and like a less desirable partner overall because of it. Not to mention my own extreme physical discomfort all the time. It's such a shame. I am glad not to be alone but sorry anyone else is suffering.
I am 44 with three children and a husband (only partner i've ever had). In the past 3 months I have experienced similar symptoms as mentioned above. It was the extreme pain and itching plus the thick yellow-greenish discharge that sent me to the doc.  She did a culture and came back Strep B.  She also confirmed that this bacteria is naturally occuring, but will sometimes go into overdrive because of a misbalanced ph. My symptoms have always occurred within a week of the start of my period.

After reading all these posts, I think I may be perimenopausal and may have my estrogen level checked. I also think I'll start something like the fem-dophilus to see if I can get my vaginal ph back to normal.
I am currently on 10 days of erythromycin (pennecillin allergy), which cleared it up the last time, but, of course, it came back with my current cycle.

Thanks to everyone who has posted. At least now I have some options to try.
I was diagnosed a couple of weeks ago with vaginal and throat Strep A.  My doctor was surprised too.  A 10 day course of penicillin (2000mg a day)  worked quickly and really well and I finished the course last Saturday.  By yesterday (Wednesday) all symptoms were back - itching, rawness, burning in the vaginal area, and a bad sore throat.  I went back to the doctor today who has prescribed a further 10 day course of penicillin.  She described it as a 'stubborn bug' and has suggested that if it comes back again my husband has the test as he might be carrying the bug but is a-symptomatic and is re-infecting me. This is a truly awful infection and I was beginning to despair of finding anyone else with vaginal Strep A, as opposed to Strep B. I'm hoping that this does the trick.  Good luck.

Did the treatment work?  I am suffering from the same symptoms for a year now, I am GBS positive and I am looking for the right treatment.  I found an article that talks about some women who have symptomatic vaginitis because of strep B
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC1784743/
The treatment that worked the best was chlorhexidine which is the same as Hibiclens which seemed to work so well for you.  I  am douching with it regularly and I am also using wipes with the solution every time I go to the bathroom.  I seem to have improved a bit but it has not cleared yet.  Have you improved since your last post a few months ago.  I need some hope that something will work.

Julie
Hi I too was test positive for strep b.  Lost of yeast infections.  What I'm wondering is if its reoccuring because of my partner.  All of you say it happens once you have sex. Is it possible that some men carry this and keep getting us infected? Just wondering what everyones thought about this?
I started to get yeast infections more frequently after I became sexually active with my current partner.  I had 3 or 4 within 10 months, which is unusual for me.  Hygiene is extremely important to me and I was getting really depressed not knowing why these infections kept occurring.  They always seemed to happen right before my period.  Last month I was treated for a yeast infection with Diflucan.  This month as soon as my period ended I got what I thought was another yeast infection.  I had the usual symptoms; burning, itching, and a thick white odorless discharge.  I've always been more moist/wet than most girls I know, but didn't think it was a bad thing.  I went to my gyno and at first look she was sure it was yeast, but when she looked under the microscope she didn't see what she expected to see, white blood cell count was high (she said this could be a result of the inside of my vagina being extremely irritated).  She thought it might be bacterial vaginosis, but now the preliminary results are showing strep b.  I was put on Terconazole, a cream that is inserted into the vagina every night for 7 nights and can also be used outside the vagina if needed.  I have used it for 3 nights now and already see positive results, the infection seems to be clearing up. My Dr. just prescribed Cipro, so I'll be starting on that, hopefully it works.  
I also have been taking acidophillus(sp) for about a week now and eating yogurt everyday!
Hi everyone, I have just been diagnosed with Strep B and am on a course of antibiotics - Curam. The discomfort has been troubling me for quite a while but I was misdiagnosed as having a yeast infection, so I'm relieved that I finally had a swab done. However, I'm 25, and I'm wondering if Strep B will affect fertility...any ideas?
Hi Everyone!

I went to the Dr. bc I thought I had a UTI. The results came back as having Group B Strep? Never heard of it and of course came home to research it.  
I'm 37 y/o & not pregnant.  I have been with my boyfriend now for over a year and have had these symptoms (discharge, some itchiness) for some time now.  I am beginning to think its a reoccurring because he is not circumsized. What do you think?
My DR says it will go away as I am currently taking Augmentin 875mg for stitches I had to get on my hand.  
But after reading everyone else's posts I think I should seek further treatment and maybe he should too?
Thanks ladies!
Quick add-on's.

I never had this problem before when I was married for 16 years. And I have recently lost over 40lbs.  

Thx!
I am a 30 year old healthy women who suffered from yeast infections in my early 20's. I was recently diagnosed with strep b after itching/burning/and some redness. I thought the symptoms were due to excessive condom use because my partner and I used condoms every time we had sex (at least 5 days a week). However, my doctor prescribed antibiotics for strep b and it worked. I no longer have issues. Also, my partner and I stopped using condoms (which I think contributed to the burning and itching).
how long have you been symptom free? what antibiotic?
Hi, I too have been suffering from recurrent BV, Strep B, and yeast... I think the yeast and flare up of strep b was from treating BV. I have tried tons of treatments but I don't know what to do anymore... I do not have discharge anymore, but a slight tickle/itch that is on and off.
Fem-dopholous worked the best so far, but I am still not 100%.
Glad to know I am not alone.
I did amoxicillian and the pill for yeast. I had to do two rounds because after the first time prescription, I still felt the burning and itching. But the second round worked and I am symptom free (for at least 6 months now). Finding out info on Group Strep B is so frustrating. I do not have HIV, Kidney disease, or another chronic illness, but all of the info I've found, says that it is unlikely that a healthy (young women who is not pregnant) can have it. Good luck!
Hello. I posted a while back too.  I had gone through about 9 months of hell.  I thought it was yeast infection, tried sooo many different treatments. Then I thought it was STD's because I was recently with a new partner, but those all came back negative, the only thing it came back as positive for strep b, so I assumed that was what was causing all of this.  I have gone through so much emotionally over this.  I went to my doctor like 10 times, then she referred me to an OBGYN and of all people, what a quack, had no clue!! Anyway, I finally switched doctor's and she immediately identified it as vaginal atrophy (low estrogen) and gave me some cream. . Come to find out it was from my birth control pills - they messed with my body so bad.  They made me severely depressed, thinning hair, etc.  I finally just decided to give up and quit birth control.  That was almost 3 months ago and I feel like I am not completely back to normal but wayyyyy better than I was for the past several months.  I'm not saying this is the answer for all of you, but if you are taking birth control or are perimenopausal it could be your hormones are all out of whack.  Man, and to think all those visits to the dr. and searching online for answers.  UGHH
Oh yeah, and I forgot to mention I tried 2 different rounds of antibiotics trying to treat strep b - amoxicyllin (sp?) & kefflex, tried the clindomycin too. and a ton of diflucan, and over the counter yeast infection treatments & tons of probiotics.
I've been dealing with this for 5 years.  I have high b/p from all my anger and frustration with drs. I learned from another site that 'sugar' sets the GBStrep into growth, since it lives naturally in my body.  I had been doing well, avoiding sugar, but last June, I drank a lot of gatorade, totally forgetting that it's loaded with sugar!! (my husband had said that I seemed dehydrated).  Well, so far I've been on 5 antibiotics and still in pain!  It's in my rectum and vaginia.  I get tested, so I'm sure it's GBS.  My dr. is an infectious disease dr.
I take several probiotics daily.  I don't know what I would do without the internet sites.  I think doctors need to publish articles on GBS women (who are not pregnant!) so the info. can get out there and help can be developed for us.  What can we do to help our cause?
We can't force doctors to do anything, but let's not get sidetracked on that!
Thanks so much for just being there and telling your stories.
(I suggest leaving off wet wipes, I finally realized they were making me itchy, I had used them for years)

I've been researching on the internet about group b strep and stimble upon this web site

I was preganant, lost my baby 5mths this january, was perfectly fine, then after my OBGYN told me to have a D&C which was not necessary after i found this out, i ended up with group b strep, proteus millibus uniary track infection.
The proteus uniary track infection was gone after taking antibiotics but i ended up with group b strep, doctors do not take this infection seriously...i have back pain and lower tummy pain plus when i urinate it stings, not burn. I was put on amoxcilline 500mg 3 times a day and on my 3rd day i ended up in emergency with sever tummy pain, blood in the stool with diaharea.
i stop using the amoxcille but the doctor did'nt give me anything else to use, i still have the symptoms..
I had a next urinary test and hold and behold the test came back group b strep, the doctor give me cipro, after reading up on group b strep, cipro does not work, i am not taking the cipro, i still do have some amoxcilline and is trying  500mg once a day to see if it would help. This is crazy doctors do not listen.
i am reading up on herbal remedies to see if i can try that.
any advise will be helpful

I'm so sorry for your heart break troubles.  Find yourself an internal med./infectious disease doctor.  Just keep asking people and don't give up.  Get off sugar!  It's in everything; 1 cup of milk has 12 g. of sugar!  Go to the health food store ( find a good one) and put yourself on probiotics for women.  Stay on them.  I found that nothing holistic for GBS works for me.  (I tried garlic and other things)  But they might for you!  And stay away from yeast products.  No sugar (or minimal since it's in everything) and no yeast bread and you will lose weight.  Remember this is for the rest of your life.  GBS lives naturally in the body and once it is out of balance, the best one can do is beat it down, get a non-growth report from the doctor and work to keep it there with diet.   I've learned this the hard way.  
p.s. Sugar seems to feed the strep!
Hi Julie,

Sorry it took me so long to respond.  Yes, I would have to say that the Hibiclens douche did help...and still does.  Unfortunately, I went on a really big, bad sugar binge this summer and completely disregarded what it does to the GBS and it's out of control again.  I've given up sugar and most carbs just this week and already it seems to be a bit better.  

I found an infectious disease GYN that specializes in vaginitis.  He's several hours away, but I will be happy to drive that far to see him.  I'll repost once I see what he has to say.
I just posted a couple of weeks ago and I apologize to anyone if I got their hopes up, but I was wrong.  I did go on the estrogen cream and it seemed to help for a while, but the burning came back very badly and the painful intercourse.  I was figuring it was the atrophy problem and went back to the dr.  This time she said it didn't look like atrophy and she admitted that Strep B can cause the burning and that there is no way to get rid of it.  This is just crazy that they can not find a cure for this terrible, terrible infection.  No I'm back to the drawing board on this and I really hate to think that I will deal with this for the rest of my life!  I saw on some website to try oil of oregano, I think I'm going to give it a shot.  But I have also been eating a lot of sweets so it makes sense, I did not know that.
I too have been suffering for 3 months now with Group B strep! And with that, I am also experiencing UTI symptoms. Was put on 3 different antibiotics. Nothing worked. My stress and anxiety is eating me away. SOMEONE HELP!!!
Don't eat sugar (it's in everything).  Get on some probiotics and get ready for b/p meds.
I understand your anger and frustration.  I can't get over it this time.  I get better up to a point, but then the strep just hangs in there, stronger than anything I've ever known.  I've increased my probiotics starting today.  I'm still on antibiotics (no telling what the long term effect of them will be..........). If you're a praying woman.....pray for the rest of us too.      
Commercial yogurt ( grocery store) is full is sugar.
Hi,  I have been dealing with strep b for 9 months now.  I'm going to a new doctor in a few weeks and will keep you all posted.  She is suppose to be a world renoun specialist.  I pray she can help because like a lot of you I can't live this way forever.  
I have had this strep infection before too. I first got it in 2006, and had it a few times that year. I didn't have it again I believe until this month. My doctor said it's not an STD, and it is normal bacteria that exists in every womans vagina. She said that some people get this strep overgrowth and don't even know because their body takes care of it. Some people, like everyone posting here, have phases where it seems like you constantly have it. She said there's really nothing that will prevent it from coming back. I don't know if maybe these things posted here might help, but according to her the chances are not 100 percent that using those things will keep it from coming back. It kinda *****.
Thank you so much for everyone's story!  I'm 29, not pregnant and have just been diagnosed with strep B.  I've been absolutely miserable for the past 3/4 months.  My Gyn thought I had BV/yeast infection, so I was repeatedly treated for that.  This last time, she cultured me and said I had strep B.  I have always been a strep carrier, but I have never had a problem with strep B.  I was put on levaquin, which made it go away for a few days, but now it's back.  I've never been more uncomfortable in my life!  I'm burning and itching and feel completely raw!  My poor husband and I don't have sex because I don't want ANYTHING near me!  I'm beyond uncomfortable and in pain.  The other night my husband had to get me an ice pack just so I could sleep.  It does seem to get worse at night.  I'm very stressed and upset about all of this.  I hope to hear that someone finds a cure for this.  It is miserable and emotionally draining.  I'm going to my dr. tomorrow and am going to have a very long talk about every available treatment out there.

Thank you all so much.  So glad to find this website!
Ive posted here before, and I believe I've found a cure -- it's a vaccine called SolcoTrichovac/Gynatren.  I live in Europe now, where it's available; I don't know if it's available in the US.  This vaccine has been around since the 80's, and it is mainly used for trichomonas vaginitis (for which I've tested negative, along with everything else under the sun except strep B), but it also has helped women with "non-specific vaginitis", which is pretty much what we're all suffering from. I found this info on a German website, in English (google it).  So I tried it last Jan.- Feb. (it's a 3-part vaccine), and I gradually got better after each shot, and now I've been symptom-free ever since.  Absolutely nothing else got rid of the itching, burning and rawness, except for temporary relief from boric acid capsules.  Some women need to be revaccinated yearly -- I'll see how I'm doing this winter to see if the strep B comes back.
How do you get rid of group b strep in your urine? I tried amoxicillin, augmenten, bactrum. is there any antibiotic that will get rid of this?? someone help!!!!
Has anyone experienced increase pain when taking an oral probiotic? I have been symptomatic with strep b for the last 7 mos. It seems like my pain increases when i take the probiotics which seems weird. Just wanting to know if anyone has experienced that.
I too have tried so many things. Have spent probably $1200.00 in doctor bills, tests, and treatments. Just looking for an answer. Maybe if we all start sharing information on what we have experienced we can narrow down what the cause is. I'm just not sure that Strep B is the cause. I tested positive with this when i was pregnant with my daughter. That was 3 1/2 years ago and i was asymptomatic. My symptoms started after having sex one night and here i am 7 mos later still in pain and $1200  out with no answer.
A couple things i do know:
On my blood work it came back as being deficient in Vitamin D. I have read studies that show that Vaginitis is common in women that have low vitamin D levels. I have not been tested again since i've started taking supplements but am interested to see what my levels are at now and if i may have a problem absorbing it for some reason.
I have found that Represh has helped my symptoms. I also notice that while i am having my period i am almost asymptomatic. Right after my period it hurts the worse.
Anyway...just wanted to share some of my experiences with this and hope that together we can come up with an answer.
I am thinking about flying to Europe to get the SolcoTrichovac Vaccine. :) From what i have read from several posts it's the only thing that has worked. Too bad i didn't know about that before i spent the 1200.00 dollars. LOL
Has anyone else tried the Dicloxacillin Antibiotic? From the poster above that tried it she said it worked. Was wondering if anyone else has tried this one. They keep putting me back on Amoxicillin time after time...wonder why they haven't tried another antibiotic if Amox. isn't working.
First off, its great (but really *****) that I am not the only one suffereing from this.  After reading everyones post and from my own experience it sounds like all the different types of Antibiotics everyone is using often only works for a very short time.  If the antibiotic is successful it will destroy the infection temporarily but also destroy the good bacteria in your gut which often times leads to other problems.  Also, shoving anything in the vagina (like garlic or even douching) is just asking for more trouble!!

It seems to me we are ALL going about this wrong!!!! The doctors CLEARLY don't know how to help us and are to quick to give us an Antibiotic and send us home.  It is natural to have so much of this bacteria living in us but once it is an overgrowth is when we experience the discomfort.  Antibiotics are OVER prescribed especially in the case when symptoms are so mild!!!  Please don't get me wrong...if you need it for relief...you need it!!!!  I just got off a round of clindomycin inserts.  

I would like to hear more from those who have tried estrace cream, could it be low estrogen? My doctor is quick to dismiss this since I am 40 and show now signs of menopause...but SO!!  What about the the desquamative vagina theory,the gal with low Vitamin D, or could it simply be our diet- like eating too much SUGAR?  What about this SolcoTrichvac vaccine??

Signed,
SICK OF FEELING GROSS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I tried Estrace and then Premarin (estrogen creams) I did the Premarin for 2 weeks, inserting it vaginally.  This did help with the strep b, for a while I actually felt like it might be gone.  But then I think from the way too much sugar I had been eating, the burning came back again.  I found another site where a girl was able to get rid of it.  She gave a list of herbs she took and said it can take 2-4 weeks.  I ordered all of the stuff and I'm going to start tomorrow.  I will post back here if it works and let you know.  I would also like to know about that vaccination.  Is it available in the US now?  That would be great if it was.
I am now 50, been married 27 years and have had the symptoms of strep B only since last November.  I still am menstruating religiously but have hot flashes at night so am peri menopausal.  Evidently I had strep B while delivering my daughter 15 1/2 years ago after having a miscarriage and D & C 1 1/2 years prior to that.  Not sure if you can get it that way, but I have had no symptoms until a year ago.  Incidentally my daughter also seems to suffer from this. My strep B symptoms started with bumps in the labia that got worse and spread which is why I saw the gyno.  I thought before this that the burning or scratchy feeling during sex or with tampon or pad use was an allergy to latex or type of condom used and the additives used on the condom and or irritation from the feminine products.  I had the same awful experience with Drs. as many of you as they don't understand how greatly this affects us.  Drs.in the same practice recommended doing different things.  The first prescribed lanacaine which I did not use!  Once diagnosed I used the Clydamycin (I'm allegic to amoxycillin) vaginally and then orally when it was not gone the second time which helped some but did not work. Then another gyno Dr. had me use Premarin cream 3 X a week and also Boric Acid tablets as needed to adjust the PH inserted internally. She also suggested using Replense as she felt it was a menopausal problem making the symptoms worse.  After about 2 weeks of use I had to stop the Premarin cream as it made my heart palpitate and heart rate increase and I thought I was having a heart attack although the GP felt it was more of an anxiety attack.  When I talked to the gyno about the reaction she wanted to wash her hands of me and send me to a specialist which I did not go to. BTW it took me three months to get my period again after using the Premarin cream as well.  Around the same time the GP found I was deficient in vitamin D, so he had me up my vitamin D to 2000 IU / day.  My pharmacist suggested using a probiotic.  So since January I stopped the premarin, started the probiotic and vitamin D, and continued using the boric acid tablets and changed to lamb skin condoms.  The strep B symptoms are still there under the surface, but more tolerable now.  Irritation during sex still can occur without enough lubrication. I wish the Drs. would figure out how to totally help and heal us all and have some compassion as well...It seems strep B manifests itself somewhat differently in all of us, but definitely affects our psyche. : ( Good luck.
So I sent an email to the Dr. Oz show yesterday explaining everything that I have been through in the last 7 mos. I was thinking that if some of you wanted to send an email as well that maybe we could start bringing this out in to the open more. I am hoping we can bring awareness to this debilitating infection, disease, whatever you want to call it. I am sure that there are also more women out there that are dealing with this and they are too scared or to embarrassed to share with anyone. If we could get national recognition maybe we could have the Solco-Trichovac vaccine approved in the US. I also know they were working on a vaccine for Strep B specifically that hasn't been approved but perhaps with awareness that it's not just about newborn babies (which is obviously extremely important) but also about women who are suffering mentally, physically and emotionally we can get the vaccine approved.  I know it may be a far cry but i am sooooo tired of feeling this way and tired of affecting everyone around me that has to deal with this as well. We need to do something for the well being of ourselves as well as those around us. If you would like to send an email just go to:
www.doctoroz.com  
From there go to the bottom of the page and find 'contact us'. When i sent the email i put a link to this web page.
I don't know if the vaccines are the answer but there has to be something that will work for us.
I just sent an e-mail to Dr. Oz.  I hope everyone else will also.  They need to know it's effects many women, not just a handful.  Does anyone else have vulvitis along with the strep as I do?  Does anyone have it in their rectum as well as vagina?
I order the probiotic, "fem dophilus"  and it does seem to be the right probiotic for me.
I am sick and tired of this and I see no end in sight...........
Everyone who has any kind of strep virus, look up OCOTEA OIL... it will get rid of this.. it sounds outrageous but theres no harm in trying something natural right? trust me it works i had vaginal strep for 4 years sleeping with my boyfriend it was embarassing. now its completely disappeared. did i mention its from the amazon. do some research but i think youll be happy with results :)
ladybug, could you please give more information on the ocotea oil?  How did you use it?  (drink it? apply it locally?) also, how often and for how long?  I am very interested in anything that can help.  I tried some herbal supplements and they screwed me up so bad, my heart was pounding and I had major anxiety and even depression just in the course of a couple of days using them.
To the comment that strep doesn't need to be treated if your not pregnant; this is so untrue!  The presence of strep B is considered normal in the body; however, a strep B infection is not.  My vagina was filled with strep B.  This is not normal and is considered to be an overgrowth and definitely needs treatment.  If left untreated, it can create problems for the uterus, bladder, and kidneys.  My prior posts noted my bladder problems due to strep.  Doctors missed my dianosis over and over again for years.  Finally because of blood in my urine, I was diagnosed and treated with Amoxil and today have not had a reoccurance of strep B.  I'm so happy! I hope my luck continues.
I was diagnosed with Strep B after having sexual intercourse with my ex-husband after 2 years.  I noticed that I had a watery discharge.  At the time there was no itch just a heavy watery discharge.  My doctor thought it was BV and I started treatment.  A few days later my labs came in and she said I had Strep B.  She did give me something for it but stated that normally they don't treat for it because it is normal to have.  She said normally its treated only in pregnant woman.  I have had 3 kids and never tested positive for this.
Well, I was good for close to two years.  I didn't have sex in all that time.  A met someone and started a relationship.  After dating and protected sex we started having unprotected sex and I started itching.  I thought it might be a yeast infection.  Well, I took a three day treatment and the 1 day pill.  I was itching so bad that I started to think he gave me something.  Off to the doctor and she confirmed that there was yeast in my vagina.  I was given a stronger medication.  She said she would check to see if it was showing Strep B since I had it before.  Well in 4 months I have itched as if I had a yeast infection.  I will use the cream then about 3-4 weeks later I am messed up again.
My doctor said I don't have a sexually transmitted disease.  I have been tested for HIV and it is negative.  I am no longer in the relationship and I am tired of feeling nasty and itching.  Isn't there anyone to help us with this?  I can't seem to get rid of this thing.  
Has anyone heard back from the Dr. Oz show?  We have come so far but something this simple should already have a cure.
I researched the ocotea oil and it looks like it can be used to decrease sugar levels in the blood, which would coinside with what eveyone has been saying about steering clear of sugar.  It also appears to be used as a disinfectant and eliminate parasites and candida.  Here is a link to read more about it:  http://aromatherapyliving.com/ocotea_essential_oil.html

I have been struggling with massive itching for six years since my daughter was born.  I was diagnosed with Strep B during the pregnancy and after a recent pap test found I still have it. My practioner thought I had Lichen Sclerosis at first look and gave me clobetasol which worked to reduce inflammation and take away the itch.  But when the pap result came back pos for strep b, she wanted to treat it.  So I was on Keflex which then gave me a yeast infection.  After 2 diflucan to treat the yeast, I went back in to make sure it was gone.  THey still found strep b in the swab test.  Now they want to do another round of Keflex.  I think that's ridiculous.  I would like to know if I have Lichen Sclerosis (which symptoms immitate those of Group B) or both.  Both seem to result with immune system issues, so I am thinking anti-biotics may not be the way to go.  But finding ways to strengthen the immune system would take care of it. It is well known that sugar can wreak havok on the immune system as well, so seems like this fits.   I have an appointment today with a different gynocologist, but a naturopathic doctor may be in my future....
I have just tried another round of Keflex.  This all started when I took flagyl for a BV infection a little over a year ago.  After taking them, I was having a burning and I thought it was a yeast infection from the flagyl so anyways, I have done 5 different rounds of antibiotics now in the last year, innumerable home remedies and now I do believe i have a problem with my liver.  I have humungous cystic acne, major depression/anxiety, skin rashes, and this terrible ringing in my ears.  This last round of kefflex gave me a hellacious yeast infection also and did not do a thing for the burning.  I am going freakin crazy here!!  I have another appointment with the dr on Monday.  I simply cannot take any more antibiotics!! they don't work!  I did order the ocotea, I think I need to wait a while till I try it bc my body is so screwed up right now from all the different meds I've been taking and herbal crap.  I have never heard of lichen schlerosis?   I will have to look that up, I need all the ideas possible for the dr.  
Tried a new female dr. I used boric acid, it seemed to work for a few days then the strep grew stronger even though I was still doing the boric acid.  I'm using Premarin now for 2 weeks, but I'm in bad shape and she wants to send me to a "specialist".      
I've heard nothing from the Dr. Oz show and we are going to lose our internet carrier at the end of this month so our e-mail will be no good!  Who else can several of you contact for help with this strep?  We shouldn't just be "venting our frustration" we should do more to help each other and ourselves!  It does seem that we are all at different degrees of strength with each case of strep.  What works long term to balance the flora of our female organs?
Have any of you the answer for what is working for you?  
try taking probiaotic pills. strep be comes from the gut so keeping this  healthy may help. also eat yogurt everyday
OK...I want to report to you all that I am healed to give you some hope.  It took almost a year, but I believe it is a miracle and only through the prayer of many people and the Lord's power am I healed...Someone had said earlier about "if you're a praying woman..."  Well I am and I did and I also asked others to pray for and with me.  Medically I had stopped the pro biotic quite a while ago and sporadically was using the boric acid tablets at night.  Toward the end of this I was feeling a lot better, but still had a few symptoms. I went to my gynecologist about a month and a half ago and my PH was perfect and I had her recheck for strep again along with yeast.  Weeks later the results came back that I have no strep B, and no infection of any kind including yeast which was no surprise because I was believing that I was and feeling healed.  In the meantime since then I skipped my period so the hormones are definitely changing...Hang in there everyone...there is hope.  Praise the Lord!  : )  
Hey All, Im 25 years old and was diagnosed with Strep B 4 weeks ago. Im not pregnant nor have ever been. I started with Horrible itching not only in the vaginal area but rectum too! It definitely gets worse at night for me. The doc put me on Penicillin but didnt help so now im trying a different type of Penicillin. They gave me a Diaper Rash type cream that seems to help but doesnt last long. Im absolutely miserable and my BF of 3 years and I have stopped having sex....the itching just really gets in the way! Please, im really desperate, any help or hope would be amazing!
well hello everyone. where do i start off? lol.. well i was 14 and i slept with my second person and i became very itchy and i treated it as a yeast infection i been to doctor after doctor spent thousand no stds nothing im now 18 and never got better they say i have vulvodynia witch is pain in the vulvo thats what vulvodynia means but this strep b thing really makes me feel like i mite have this my symtoms are itchiy burning throbing no discharge.
I too am in my 40's , underwent some vaginal surgery in november of 09  at that time was for tubal ablation and tubal ligation . I complained for several years about pain in right groin area  and pain with intercourse . At that time had none of the symptoms that i have now. Since surgery have been told I am now colonized with the strep B infection , I do not have any discharge , but do notice a constant burning like pressure feeling and pain with intercourse. I also notice I seem to be bloated all the time . I have reduced my sugar intake and cut back on caffine. I have also had a full hystorectomy as a result  of enlarged ovary . I have tried all HRT including perscription and natural supplements. Have been to physcian more than I care to admit for this with no results . Same old explanation you are colonized. Take probiotics ,drink plenty of water and use lubrication for vaginal dryness. In other words get use to it .
hi guys! I'm really glad I'm not the only one in this boat!
I was diagnosed with strep b after self diagnosing thrush (and the treatment not working). My symptoms were the same as others in this forum: thick discharge, pain, burning, uncomfortable sex, itchiness, odor etc.
My GP has put me on vaginal cream (antibiotic) for 7 nights *fingers crossed this works* she has also recommended a vaginal vitamin C pessary that is supposed to help keep strep B away I am also taking probiotics every day.
I'm only wondering if I need to get my long term partner treated? I have never had strep B before, but my BF has recently been on a long course of anti biotics & I am wondering if this could be related?
fingers crossed we all find a cure :)
Is solcotrichovac available in the US or Canada?
I was just diagnosed today after 3 years of suffering.  I was finally given an answer.  Group B Strep.  I have been to 3 different doctors.  I have been put on countless rounds of antibiotics.  I have had diagnostic laproscopic surgery to check for Endometriosis and Intersitial Cystitsis. Thank god I tested negative for those things.  I have also had urethral dialation done 5 times.  I am proned to UTI's and have reoccuring vaginal infections.  Today though my urogyno prescribed me Boric Acid Suppositories.  Most regular pharmacies don't carry them so you will have to locate a compounding pharmacy.  It is not covered by most insurance but I paid about $20 for a 5 day supply.  I was prescribed 1 vaginal suppository at bedtime for 5 nights then 1 vaginal suppository once a week at bedtime for 3 months.  She said that should clear me up.  Hope this helps some of you out there.  
It's been about 5 mos since I last posted.  At that time, I'd just found a gyenecologist that specializes in infectious disease.  He is basically retired and only teaches now.  But, one day a week he reserves time, specifially for women who've been suffering from long term vaginal infections.  In order to see him, you have to send him all of your records, labs included.  Amazingly, once he agrees to see you, you're in his office within two weeks.  He runs specialized tests, more thorough and complete than our regular OB/GYN's.  He was confident that we would get to the bottom of it, no matter what.  Of course, I'd told him about my long battle with GBS.  He seemed to think that it could very well be the GBS, but wanted to run the tests.  He swabbed and told me to wait patiently for 2 weeks for the results.

I was shocked to find out that there was some GBS growth, but plenty of yeast.  The yeast cultures that he runs take the full 2 weeks to grow out.  Every culture for 2 years prior had come back negative for yeast, but positive for GBS!!!  I was very skeptical of what he was telling me, but he had a proposed treatment plan and at this point, who was I to argue??  Because he only sees women who've had a long history of issues, his treatment plans are always long term.  He put me on 2 Diflucan a week for 6 mos and was told to really limit my sugar intake (which we know flares up both yeast and GBS).  Well, I'm 4 mos into treatment and rarely do I have any flareups.  I wouldn't consider myself cured, but I've improved by at least 85-90%.  I have a sneaking suspicion that I might need longer than the originally prescribed 6mo treatment, but I am so much better.  I do not have any of the abdominal pain that, for me, made it so unbearable.  At its worst, I have mild discharge accompanied by some localized itching.  There is no more pain with urination, no pain with intercourse.  

I certainly can't say for sure that yeast is what it is for all of us, but I sure lucked out to find this doctor who truly understands what we go through and just doesn't want to do a quick exam, write a script and send us on our way.  
It is so funny that you posted this!! I have just recently self diagnosed myself with candida (yeast) overgrowth.  I have been on so many antibiotics over the years and birth control (which both can contribute to candida) and I also get frequent yeast infections (but this strep thing is new... or so I thought)  The burning and inflammation all started after taking flagyl for BV.  Well since then I have been on like 5 different antibiotics in the last yr & half, trying to get rid of strep b, when I think I was just making my candida overgrowth worse and worse!  The last round of Kefflex I ended up in the ER because I thought I was dieing (that is how bad the anxiety was!) and I had also suffered from MAJOR depression for almost an entire year!  I had a lot of the other candida symptoms too.  So anyways, yes the doctors just want to give you more medicine instead of getting to the real problem, it is very sad actually.  My acne had gotten sooo bad, my face was covered with cystic acne! I have done so much extensive research trying to figure out what it wrong with me and how to fix it.  I started the candida diet 2  weeks ago now (no sugar, caffeine, wheat/grains, fruit, dairy, etc. - eliminate, not cut down) and man it is not easy!  but like you said this takes a long time to get things back in balance.  Well I figured what the hell, I'm not getting any better and it is worth a shot!! So I'll see how it goes, thanks for the follow up post!! I was wondering how it went with the ppl that went to see infectious disease specialists.
Is that the only treatment plan your doctor  gave you? I to think that is what my problem is. All the tests that I have done have all been negative for yeast. I have been to two different alternative treatment places and they both suggested that i may have a yeast overgrowth. I didn't believe it because all the tests that I had, showed up negative for yeast. Every time I eat sugar, drink caffeine,or alcohol it flares up. This is hopeful. Thank you for posting this!
One more thing. The other reason that I am pretty sure it's not the GBS to blame is because I tested positive for it when I was pregnant with my daughter and was a-symptomatic at the time. I have been under a huge amount of stress over the last two years which I believe  has contributed to the yeast overgrowth.
also wanted to know if it at all felt like it was getting worse before it got better. I've heard sometimes that when the yeast cells start to die off that it actually causes more pain. did you experience that?
Does anyone know any more about the SolcoTrichovac vaccine and where its available from? I'm guessing its an injection?

I have had strep b and bv since I can remember and I'm 25 now. I've tried all antibiotics etc etc and nothing works.
I take pro-biotics (I've just ordered fem dophilus) and take lots of vitamins which does help symptoms but doesnt cure them.
I'm now seeing a 'specilist' at a GUM clinic and guess what, she's putting me on 2 weeks of antibiotics again, she must think I'm stupid or something and when I asked what she's going to do if it doesn't work she just says 'I don't know'.

I've got to the point that I'm avoiding having a boyfriend because of this horrible problem and would hate to have to explain it!

I would love to have the Solco Trichovac vaccine as it seems like a last solution but would need a doctor to administer it. I live in London, UK can anyone recommend a doctor or specilist? I'm willing to travel.

I would be so grateful for any help.
Hi there,

Yes, that is the only treatment plan he put me on, with the exception of using the Nystatin cream I already had for the localized itching/redness.  From what I've gathered, the only way to get rid of such an overgrowth is a two-pronged approach; drastically minimize sugar intake and be on a long term dose of Fluconozol.  Finding the doc to prescribe the Fluconozol might be tough.  

I'm also probably going to go on a probiotic to help maintain the "correct" levels of yeast/bacteria.  There's a brand called, Ultimate Flora, that makes a good one.

Good luck!
What was the docs (retired) specialist name?  I live in Santa Monica California.  Noone mentiions any relaxation techniques to help deal with this.  I have had vaginal irritation my whole adult life.  It has been what has taught me everything spiritually.  I don't think these things (pain) are a coincidence...I practice Jin Shin Jyutsu and also receive treatments every week to understand the spiritual aspect of this.  I have done just about every remedy in the book.  It is best when I am not sexually active.  I had a medical intutive tell me once that that it wasn't my purpose to have sex in this life time....geeze...I love sex. I do feel like when we grasp the lessons from the pain that the teacher (pain) probably goes...that being said, I have learned much patience and compassion for others...I have also try Major Autohemotherpy (ozone) which really helped my immune system.  My gyno told me yesterday that sperm sometimes carries something that triggers all this....so use lamb skin condoms w/ a very mild lubricant..oh wait LOL, I am not supposed to be having sex this lifetime.  This has also taught me humor....  I still would like to know the name of that doc however...
i too have been suffering with Strep B for 2 years now. I am a 17 year old Virgin. I dont understand how i got this other then the fact of being on birth control pills for my acne for a half a year which i read above triggered a reaction.I stopped birth control because i had intense heart pulputations. After that.. i noticed horrible symptoms. i have been on 2 type of penincylin so far and still am on my second treatment. i take probiotics inbetween my 4 capsule daily regimen so it does not cancel the medication. It has been 4 days...symptoms feel like they are actually getting worse then better.  WHY AM I HAVING THIS BEFORE I EVEN HAD SEX!
feels horrible. the smell is so irritating and is prob the biggest factor since i am still in high school (graduating this year) and plan on having a boyfriend in my following year at University but how do u explain something so bizarre...ugh
sigh...i will take all the vitimans... starve myself from any sugars which will be extremely difficult because i am a chocoholic:)

thanks for all the posts. helped me a bit emotionally.

Best of luck

anonymouz
I just found out that SolcoTrichovac is no longer produced nor sold in Europe.  I was due for the one-year re-vaccination.  I'm still doing OK, but lately have noticed a bit of a burning during sex.  I don't know what to do now.  It it gets worse, I guess I'll have to go back to using the boric acid capsules -- that was the only thing that gave me relief.
Liga
I have  had a vaginal infection for the past 6 months that I can't get rid of. I'm pretty sure it is strep b because I just had surgery on my bladder for strep b. I had mucus and bumps coating my entire inside of my bladder. The urologist said he had never seen anything like in all his years of practice. The infection was eating the wall of my bladder away. Both the bladder and Vaginal infections started at the same time. I'm 40 years old I had a hysterectomy when I was 19. I had my ovary removed four years ago was put HRT then but was take off them this past August. Only have have had one vaginal infection beside this one. Was on four different kinds of antibiotics for the UTI. I took Metrogel and Clindamycin for the vaginal infection it didn't help. Now I'm the doctor gave me boric acid it helps a little. I still have discharge not as much as before but have have to wear maxi pads. There is no itching with with this infection just some burning. It is frustrating. I think this is strep since it was strep in my bladder. It just won't go away. Antibiotics don't help either. I can't take penicillin because I'm allergic. I go back to the ob/gyn tomorrow going to have her test for strep. Hope something fixes this!
Do you know why the SolcoTrichovac is no longer produced/sold in Europe? Did the doctor who administered the vaccine give you any other information? I was hoping to get hold of it but thats ruled out any hope I had.
My gyno wrote out the prescription for the booster shot without seeing me (it's weird, you have to go to the pharmacy yourself to get the vaccine, then go back to the doctor's office to get in administered by a nurse), so she obviously didn't even know it's not being produced or sold anymore.  I was told by the central pharmacy clearinghouse in Latvia that the vaccine is no longer produced (I called because I couldn't find a pharmacy that had it in stock). Tomorrow I'm going to find out if my gyno has any in her personal stock (the nurse said she might).  I just wrote an e-mail to a German pharmaceutical company that makes/made SolcoTrichovac asking what the deal is.  If I get a reply I'll post here.
After suffering with this for many years and many antibiotics and creams, etc., I started taking RePhresh probiotic capsules once a day and I have been symptom-free for a long time now. Once in a while I get a slight discharge but not enough to complain about. When I do, I add RePhresh vaginal insert cream at night once or twice a week. If antibiotics "cure" your problem, my advice is not to get complacent but to add a probiotic. Good luck. This is really a nightmare and doctors don't seem to care.
Is this doctor you've seen in the US? I live in the UK but it would be great to find a doctor who actually understands. The 'specalists' at the sexual health clinic are crap.

My main problem is discharge and an odor, I have had BV and Strep B since I was probably about 13.
I take fem-dophilus,vitamin C and D,folic acid,echinacea and just brought goldenseal today to try as well. I'm also on a 14 day perscription of metrozindal (prob wrong spelling) from the GUM clinic and I doubt it'll make any difference as I've taken it all before.

If I could get rid of the discharge it would make a world of difference. I've never tried the douching which some talk about, does anyone know if these really work and how do you go about making a douche?