Vaginal Swelling after sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal Swelling after sex

Ive been having the problem of when i have sex with my boyfriend i find that afterwards i am really swallon and my vagina walls really swell up badly. ive tried to take things slower using more lubricant and it doesn't seem to work. i have very sensitive skin which when scratched or bumped swells up a lot making a small scratch look really bad. i though maybe this had something to do with why it swells so bad. if anyone else has suffered from anything like this please get back to me and let me know what your suggestions would be or what worked for you. As its a growing problem for me and takes a good few days before i feel comfortable down there again. Thanks x x
Tags: vaginally
Are you using protection?  You said there is a small scratch there?  It could be that you have a yeast infection or herpies (herpes).  Of just plain old irritation from friction.  Have you had any other partners? if you have did this happen when you were with them?  Has your partner had other partners? Has he been tested for STD's?
I bring my wife to multiple orgasms and she swells so much that it scares her. I believe
that the blood just doesnt go away that quickly. we use cool cloths or onetime a ice pack. the doctor told us to slow down. which isnt going to happen but i hope this helps
No i didnt mean that there was a small scratch there i meant that my skin is reallt sensitive so say i got a scracth on my arm it would swell up looking worse than it is! and yes it has happend with all past partners. we have both been tested for STD and the tests have come back fine. So we use protection only sometimes. i looked at another forum and there were quite a lot of other girls that this happens to. but my best bet is to book and appointment with my doctors i think. it just all seems a little embarrassing to talk about to ur GP.
Hi.

I have the same problem as you do. Everytime me and my boyfriend have a sexual intercourse, my vaginal lips swell up mostly on the left side. It is sort of  hard swelling and its painful to seat down or sleep on the side. It goes away in a day but has affected my relationship and my sex life. Everytime my boyfriend tries to enter my vagina...i get paranoid and always think if i will swell up after the sexual intercouse. I only had 1 sexual partner in all my life and it only started after 2 years of being together, before this i suffered with a pain while urinating and also found out im allergic to soap as this makes me itch down below really badly! I have done alot of research and read stories that a similar to mine and it seems like it's CANDIDA (THRUSH) which affects alot of women in their life time for no paticular reason. Its easy to treat the problem as you can get 1 tablet to take by mouth and cream for the vaginal area. I hope this helps...and if you havent heard about candida then i suggest its important to check it out..if the problems do carry on then go and see a gynocoligist. Thats what im planning to do. All the Best XXXX
um i have the same problem where my vaginal lips swell up like you wouldn't believe towards the end of sexual intercourse or just being fingured :P it really really hurts and feels like its burning and hurts to sit down or pee for about a day i think i might have sti or something like that i want it to stop happening its embarrassing and is painful. it happens with or with out a condom HELP
Being swollen has to do with rough sex and not enough lubercation, this causes a lot of friction and makes you swell. Also if you had sex with an unnotticed yeast infection this can cause irritation and results in swelling and also a burning sensation. I've gone through this a few times with my boyfriend and have gone to the doctors. Don't worry alot of this is common, you usually don't hear much about it because it is awkwardly embarassing. Try water-based lubercation and make sure you are clear of infections before engaging in sexual intercourse!!
Ive the exact problem !!.
I had sex lastnight which went for very long and was kinda rough ,..
now today my right vag.lip is all swollen and it stings like mad when peeing :(:( . .

Is dis problem serious ?? what is the cause ?? der seems to be many people suffering from it .
I have had the same problem.
I had sex with my boyfriend yesturday. and he pulled out to take a rest and then when we tried again he couldnt enter. i mean i just got checked last thursday to i know i dont have anything. and we have had sex before that so obviously he dont have anything. but i dont know it is really embarrissing to not be able to get it in when you already have. And it only started happening like after six months. and it is just weird it feels like there is something wrong with me. and yes he does finger me and he all of a sudden has nails. and it does hurt when he does it but at first its a combo of sensation and hurt but then it just hurts. and last night i wanted to cry. Could it be his nails.? Could it be our roughness.? Please help. i dont want this to ruin my sex life.
Please and thank you.
I would love to hear all responses
I'm having the same problem. This happened to me twice already and I can't help but worry. The most recent was last night. I had sex with my boyfriend that i've been with for two years. I'm 99% sure that he's not cheating on me or whatsoever. I must say that I wasnt up for it last night that's why i wasnt that arroused. I was wet at first then i got really dry in the end. He was very persistent thats why even when i was really dry already, he still kept on going. He was very rough on me. Then i felt that my vagina was getting puffy & swollen thats why i decided to continue our business in the shower for me to be a little wet. It helped a little but the puffiness just got puffier afterwards. Its been over 10 hours since then but its still swollen. The last time i had this, the swelling subsided over just a night. Why is it taking a bit longer now? According to past reviews, it might be because i was dry & was not lubed enough? I don't want this to happen again because it makes me feel bad about my sex life & it really is very irritating & uncomfortable when there's puffiness & sworeness down there. What can I do to reduce the swolleness? What should I do for this not to happen ever again?I feel bad about myself.  :cry:
The same thing happened to me more than once but this last time it was different. I don't know how to explain this exactly but that night and all the next day i was like "leaking" some type of fluid. It was so bad that within 5 minutes of putting my jeans on it had completely soaked through. it was almost as if the fluid was just from the swelling and as the fluid would seep out, the swelling would decrease. I may be completely wrong.. but idk!! help please!
I honestly wouldn't worry about this at all ladies, it's caused by being too dry when having intercourse or by the roughness of sex or the position of the penis against the vagina. I'm not a doctor but i have experience dmany gynaecological problems in my lifetime and so recognise this problem. If you have any other problems along with the swelling such as a burning sensation then you probably have a UTI (urinary tract infection), don't be alarmed this is very common and a lot of women including myself experience this quite often. The best advice i can offer for the swelling is cold natural yoghurt or if this grosses you out then anything cold will do but always, always , always urinate after having sex, you won't believe how much of a difference this makes in clearing any possible infection especially if you are prone to UTI's like myself. Anything other than this and you should seek advice from a professional. Hope this helps
I believe it is normal to swell after rough sex. It happens to me. I know i have no STD's because i have been tested multiple times. Swelling after sex is nothing to worry about but burning, itching, etc. is! If it burns "down there", itches, or burns when you pee go get checked! BETTER SAFE THAN SORRY! Usually if it is something like that an antibiotic can be prescribed to cure it! Even yeast infections can be cured with a single pill!
:)
I am 18 years old and I have swelling on the left vaginal lip, I had sex with my boyfriend two days ago and I didn't notice anything strange with my vagina until two days later, I woke up and it was very itchy and swollen a bit. It didn't hurt much or hurt when I urinated. This has happened to me once before and within a day or two it was gone and nothing else happened until now. We did use a condom and I was wet at first and then after a while I became dry but he still kept going and was kind of rough. I'm hoping that this is the reason for the swelling, there also was a fluid leaking out but not too much. I was scared at first but it seems that this is a very common problem for women so that makes me feel better...if anyone has anything to say I would appreciate it :)
THIS THINGS HAPPEN TO ME AS WELL EVERYTIME I DO SEX WID MY PARTNER MY LIPS GETS SWOLLEN AND ITCHY AND I AM VERY WORRIED BUT TODAY WHEN I READ THE COLUMN I CAME TO KNOW THAT ITS NOT THAT WORRY THING BUT WHY IT HAPPENS BECAUSE NOW I GET LITTLE SCARE TO DO SEX AS I THINK THAT ITS GOING TO SWELL WAT SHOULD I DO I DONT WANT TO SAY NO TO MY HUBBY ALL THE TIME.HELP ME!
This Happens to many women and as many woman have stated its simply due to the position and wetness of the Vagina...or Penis (May also involve the roughness of sex or frequency.)Apply something cold or if it is due to a lot of sex or rough sex just take it easier in both departments...Look Swelling of the Vagina is as simple as swelling of a bruised area...It hurts it swells simple....

It's been happening to me every time it goes away if you soak in warm water. I read that your glands get clogged so your wetness can't get out which causes the swelling
For you who have swelling after sex, it could be from friction but from my past experince i have had a yeast infection, it has a burning itching and its hard to sit down and it drove me nuts. after the first few times i didnt know what it was till i went to the doctor. yeast infections are easliy treated but if your not sure or never had a doctor tell you it was a yeast infection then u should go to the doctor just to make sure its nothing worse
This has been happening to me for about 9 months now. I have been tested for everything (STD's, STI's, etc) multiple times. For the first few months I was treated for a reocurring yeast infection, but everytime I had sex my symptoms would return (swelling, burning, itching, pain when sitting and urination) - so again I would do a round of RX yeast infection treatment. My doctor said that this may be a form of vaginal dryness attributed to my bodys lack of being able to produce enough of it's own estrogen because I have been on birth control for so long. I have started using VagiFem, which is a tablet inserted twice weekly, as well as the RX yeast infection treatment once a week, and an external creme to be applied twice daily. No sex for two weeks. I had intercourse and not 24 hours later, there were my same symptoms. I think my doc may be on to something about the estrogen, I have noticed that my breasts have reduced in size almost a full cup :( We'll see. I think my next step is to stop taking birth control and see if that helps at all.
Wow, not going to slow down? Like forget that your wife is in pain? And I love that you made sure to announce that you bring her multiple orgasms. You sound like a jerk. Why are you even on here anyway?
the candida thing you mentioned makes a lot of sense. i had a bad skin infection last year that was from candida and ever since then i have had vaginal swelling after intercourse. my dr said it was because of all the anti-biotics i was on for the skin infection, but that was over a year ago and im still having problems. ive been with my husband for six years and our sex life has gone down hill due to this. i have taken stuff for the candida but i guess it wasnt enough to help my female problems. guess ill have to try and find stronger stuff and see if it helps.
okay i just realized i have a yeast infection.. and i just had sex and i'm swelling as well... am i gonna be okay? ive been crying all day and freaking out afraid something is wrong... so my questiong is, if i know the swelling is from a yeast infection, will it go away with just waiting or treating the yeast infection? or do i have to see a doctor?
My girlfriend tolled me after the day we had sex she said that her vag was puffy and it was leaking some kind of substance i dont have STD or anything but i dont want her hurting like that is there any suggestions anyone can give me
So I've just had this problem, probably for the first time and started to freak out so started to do some research whilst researching a run a very hot bath for myself *with so soap, nothing just water* and within 5 mins of being in it I'm feeling all back to normal and feeling fine again :)! Hope this will be the same for you too, good luck xx
i have Multiple partners and i use condoms for the most part , ive been tested for stds and was clean , and im pretty sure im not allergic to condomss ! i usually swell up jus from foreplay , embarrassingg HELP
I
I'm the same way. I use to think that after I had sex, inner lips would swell becuz I was allergic to latex but I now believe its cuz of the friction and lack of lubrication well into the act of intercourse. But my lips will swell so much that they protrude outside the bigger lips and it hurts to sit, walk, or lay sideways. When the swelling goes down, a liquid does come out but I believe its only associated with the swelling...Afterwards, when my lips try to heal itself, I experience itching and a bit of discomfort. This has been happening to me for years and I have been to the doctor many of times but with no answers and my results all coming back negative.
For real, a warm bath, then something cold.. Not completely gone but so much better. It has happened to me every time except once.
my boyfriend and I had sex last night for the first time. He's a lot bigger than my first time. I woke up today and my vaginal lips were swollen. I told him about it and he said he thinks he scratched me when he was fingering me. I'm not sure what to do and honestly I'm really scared.
An allergy to the latex is very common an you can get non latex condoms quite easily. Also having sex when you (female) are not wet enought can cause friction within the vagina  which can make you swell up. Also if you have a yeast infection even a small to mild one and have sex this causes the vaginal lining to become irritated and can also cause swelling!

Good luck ladies :-)
I've been having some cramping pain.. my vagina is swollen and has a brownish discharge. I got fingered 2 days ago and yesterday the discharge was pinkish Red. So I'm guessing the brown is just older blood working it's way out. I looked on other sites and it said everything to being pregnant having stds. To having cuts. I see there's alot of people having this problem.. Im a little freaked out. But Im pretty sure its just a cut. All my symptoms are the same symptoms asbgetting a cut on your arm. Because your arm swells, bleeds, hurts. But it starts going away in the next few days. So I hope this helps!  
This started happening to me about 2 years ago.
Honestly, I don't believe its anything to worry about. It happens almost everytime for me. What I've come to find works well to reduce this is, one make sure you get enough foreplay before, and if/when it occurs ice it.
My current partner and I have discovered that the best "ice pack" is actually- as odd as it seems,  a bottle of fireball whisky from the freezer. It stays cold longer than ice packs in my opinion, easier to handle too. If it feels like its starting to swell get on it immediatley.. won't swell as bad and often times stops it in its tracks. Another helpful thing we've discovered is ibuprofen. It keeps swelling down.
The cause of it so I've come to believe is a variety of reasons.. either not being aroused entirely, being too rough, having too much sex in a small amount of time, and lastly your partner may just be too big.
So, foreplay, lube up, ice it fast, pop some ibuprofen.
It doesn't have to ruin your sex life- don't worry.
I have this same problem, and its caused me to distance myself from my boyfriend. he is a real sweetheart, hes reduced the amount of times we have sex, he says no when i say yes, so i feel real bad when this problem starts.
but with the ice pack, doesn't that ruin the mood? because im thinkin u hav to stop? or do u get the ice when you are done?
I just had my first sexual experience last night with my boyfriend and he was fingering me deep and hard and as soon as he started slowing down I could feel the swelling start and in doesn't bother me during urination or sleep but it feels uncomfortable when I sit down or cross my legs. Is this something that's normal or was it because it was rough? I have had sex and gone solo before and this never happened or if it did it was only for about 10 minutes after. I just don't know if this is going to be something that will happen from now on or if was this one time.
I have the same problem as everyone else, It's very embarrassing because the left side of my vagina swells up and it hurts to walk, sit down or even close my legs together, it also burns very bad. I tried putting like an ice pack on it to see if the swelling would go down, but it only made it worse. So i took a hot bath and it helped a little, but my vagina still hurts very bad. This has happened with past partners also and even when I've been fingered... I really want it to stop because it is very painful and embarrassing. Help please and thank you!   :'C
Ehhh
Girl wtf is wrong with you nd ur nasty vag???? Gotta bag of dicks up there?
I just had sex without a condom and now I am really swollen and it really hurts when I sit down,what should I do? Should I leave it to go away on its own or should I go to the doctors? I am 15 years old and this has never happend to me before:/
I have a problem with the swelling of my lips as many of those who have contributed to this site do. I have not really encountered much swelling on the vaginal walls, but it can become very sore when our sex lasts longer than 15-20 minutes. As I read through the posts it seems like there are very similar syptoms (symptoms) to all of our conditions and I am not completely sure of the origin, but it is very nice to hear real women speaking out this issue too. I do feel like it can cause problems with you mentally. My swelling is on the occasion and usuallly follow or proceed my menstrual cycle. A more common problem that I have that is usually what is accompanied with my sex( which I will admit can be quite rough at times), is a lot of torn or cracked and bleeding skin around my vulva and the lybia majora. This makes it hard to become arroused at the thought of sex because a lot of the times it will only result in pain for me. Some thing that I have learned through my own research is that birth control can affect  hormones that make it more difficult for your body to produce the lubrication necessary for sex. However I am not willing to take the risk of not having it. I have only been with one man for the past 2 years and about a half a year into our relationship I began experiencing these problems. I have been tested twice and have come up clean each time. He has been with only me. I havnt found a cure yet, my swelling can range from lasting for hours to atleast a day and a half. It is very uncomfortable and this does put a bit of a strain on our love life. I hope that through solidarity I have maybe been able to help you, I have shared all the information I have discovered so far, I just hope that it can console you in whatever way possible  Best wishes.
  You probably have recurring yeast infection, you can help yourself a great deal by eating yogurt with active yeast cultures in it every day. Activia is a good choice as it helps to eliminate constipation. Long intercourse sessions tend to change the Ph balance in the vagina; I cured that problem by eating 2 yogurts a day only 100 calories a piece and they are yummy. not giving up on good sex.
I have had that kind of problem before, it's only been going on for half a year or less but my virginal lips swell up after having sex and it's awful, I put cream on after and can't sit properly as it really hurts but I've never been with anyone else so it can't be anything bad and he's not been with anyone else we don't use anything but I'm on the pill. I just don't know why it's happening just recently maybe it's something were doing too often but I can't cope with it if it keeps happening.
Me and my boyfriend haven't had sex for awhile and we had sex today, first off he started fingering me then it started to hurt so I asked him to spit on his hand (for more lubrication) and it felt alittle better, so then we started to have sex as soon as we started it hurt again I didn't say anything, so after half an hour I went to the bathroom to pee and it hurt really bad! So I took a mirror to look down there and my left vagina lip was swollen red and puffy, this has never happened before I don't know what too do somebody please help me!!