Vaginal (Vinegar) Odor
I recently noticed that my vagina has this strong vinegar smell to it.... is that normal?
Anybody??
I assume you had a different type of smell prior to noticing this. I have done much reading and research on vaginal odour, as this issue once caused me great anxiety. As it turns out, the feuding over whether or not to ****** is still somewhat alive, although I gather the concensus is that sparingly and in moderation, using a slightly acidic pH (hence dilute vinegar in water) is not terribly harmful. Most medical experts seem to agree that the healthy female internal genitalia are indeed self-cleansing, and it is not difficult to upset a rather delicate balance of pH and beneficial microbes. Lactobacilli are what fight off infections on their own in most healthy women, and I looked it up - it means they are "acid thriving" bacteria. That's why BV and yeast take over when our vaginas become too alkaline (higher pH). The pungency is not likely to be caused by urine, which is more like alkaline ammonia, so if you have not other complaints, I would argue that your vagina is healthy. Otherwise seek out your physician. Hope that helps! :-)
Alice
The word censored by the nanny was d-ooooooo-sh. Curious that a med help website would consider that off-limits, although I suppose it is to quell its use as a derogatory term. Sigh.