Vaginal abscess?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal abscess?

My left outer labia has been sore and swollen for a couple days...I just had a UTI so I thought it could be a yeast infection becuase of the antibiotics. This morning I noticed a skittle sized lump on my inner labia.  It was already "oozing"---yeah VERY gross I know. I havent been sore that much today but i am still a little swollen and there is still very little pus--more like a clear substance and barely a bump there.  Can anyone tell me whats happening? I got tested for std's and Im negative for EVERYTHING.  I no longer have health insurance so I need allll the advice and help I can get. Thanks.
it could be a zit....it's rather rare to have a pimple in that area....but it's happened before.  Also if you were on anti-biotics, sometimes that can mess with the ph levels and stuff in your vagina.  I once had a friend who got a pimple in that area every time she recovered from a cold, was on antibiotics for something, etc.
yeah I was thinking thats what it could be...Yuck!!!!  I dont know why i would still be swollen. Thanks for the information...I need all I can get! I tend to worry A LOT.
Yeah I know what your talking about, don't worry your not the only one that has em .

I used to get it the following morning after BDing, which prevented any more BDing until it cleared up.
I GP said not to worry that they were inflammed pores possibly from being infected or inturned hairs.

My ones oozed puss/blood (sorry tmi), but once popped they would be gone.  
You know since I have been taking meds for Hypothyroidism since August 2006 Iv'e not had any, weird eh?

Uncomfortable, I know

coild be an abcess (abscess) or boil.. and it could be bacterial.. like with staph or something. I'd have it looked at if it doesnt dry up in  a day or two
I went to the doctor today and it is a cyst. He said it is infected so he gave me some antibiotics and said it should go away. I am soooo happy that this is all it was! woo! It sure had me scared!
I believe I have a similar problem.  It first looked like a zit, and gradually got bigger.  Looks like a big blister/ boil.  Only its not on my outer labia, its the inner labia, on the right side. Was yours on the outter or inside?                  
I have had these before.  There are 2 main causes.  #1 Ingrown hair. for this i suggest you go see a skin doc he can write you a script for medicine to bring the hair to the surface or you could go to the regular doc and have him lance it open (OUCH!).  #2 Abcess (abscess) usually caused by an irritated fat cell. these can put your overall health at risk if not taken care of quickly these are usually very deep in the skin and can not be "popped" at home, they must be lanced and antibiotics will usually be given (also linen packing may be needed depending on the size of it, to keep it from comming back.  This WILL leave a scar) If it is on the inside lips it is probly a plugged duct, you have one on both sides of the vaginal opening.  Over all if you have any painful "bumps" downstairs play it safe and see a doc even if you dont have insurance you can still go to the emergency room and be seen they cant turn you away its better safe than sorry when dealing with any possible infection.
I had a crazy big gigantic lump on my left vaginal lip which was so swollen with blood and puss that the pressure was un bearable and would not pop for nothing.
I went to my OB gyn and she gave me a shot so I would feel the pain, and she put a hole in it and squeezed the day lights out of it. The blood and puss that came out of it was shocking. While it didn't go down right away, it felt so much better. She prescribed me dicloxacillin and said take it 4 times a day for 5 days. It went away in a few days. She said its an abscess.
I got another one now and its really small comapared to the one I had before but its on the right side this time she prescribed me dicloxacillin again and said it should go away soon. This time it didn't need to be popped because its really small and donts hurt at all like the first one.
Hope this helps but I do suggest to anyone to not rely on a fourm / website for info to go to a doctor or emergency room to get it taken care of.
thank you girls for the information i cant affored to see a doctor right know so this is helpful
Ive had these quite large puss filled and blood filled lumps on the outer side of my vaginal lip and in the groin for bout 2 months, they come and go..when there is one there{sometimes a few} i can hardly walk because of the pain, while looking recently i noticed a small hole in my groin, im so embarassed to go see my doctor, i dont know where they have come from and i keep myself very clean??..
I had all the symptoms you describe for about 4 days so on day 5 i went to the doctor and was told it was an abscess.  she recommended that i see an OBGYN asap like tomorrow to have it drained.  Hope this helps.  Also she told me that abscesses occur from a build up of bacteria in your lady region
i've had a cysts before and i think now i have an abcess (abscess). when i had the cyst i was pregnant and i went to the gyn and he cut it open and squized the blood and puss out of it, he also gave me antibiotics, when you have a cyst u can't even walk or sit or do anything becuse of how bad it hurts. with an abcess (abscess) it hurts alot less but you can still feel it when you sit. a friend recommended i bought some Epson salt and cup with hot water and with a cloth apply it on the affected area for as long as you can take and repeat the process a few times for a few days, her advice is been working cuz i feel it alot less. hope in t next couple of days itll be gone. plus that salt is super cheap and you can get it in any pharmacy or store
I've had something pretty much the same. It started as a smiall bb sized lump under the surface in the crease of my leg and vaginal area. I went to my OBGYN and he gave me anitbiotic. Said it was possibly a in grown hair that became infected.In a matter of days it took over the whole side of my left outter labia. I went back to the dr and the next day I was in for surgery. He had to meke two VERY deep inscissions. It was filled with puss.(GROSS)! I was kept in the hospital for two days with fear that it could have been MRSA. My coltures came back negative for MRSA and typical staph. Its been over a month since that happened. I now have two ugly scars. To make matters worse,a few days ago it came back. I went back to the dr and he said this time it looks like a cyst. He put me back on antibiotics. It getting bigger by the hour. How do I stop this from happeneing.The dr said there is nothing you can do to prevent them. Am I going to have to deal with this forever? Is there any end??
I am 24 and have suffered with lumps and abscess' for the last 10 years. The first time I ever got one I thought it was something dirty (yet I was a virgin) and was ashamed to tell my mam, However I left it too late and ended up with 2 cratrs on boths sides of my labia. When I did go to the dr's I was given anti biotics and told it was either a blocked duct or hair folicle. Since then I have treated them at home by having warm baths and then lancing them myself, once when I was 8 month pregnant which was very difficult as I cudnt see past my bump. Sometimes they are just best left alone if they are not too sore or big as alot of the time mine go away without treatment. My doc told me there is basically nothing I can do about them and with age they may just stop.
I am 22 years old. I started to get a lump on my left labia. I thought it was just a zit or something and it started to go away. Soon after I developed 2 more. One on the inside of the lip and one lower around the bartholin gland. I went to the emergency room and was diagnosed with a bartholin gland abscess. Had the incision and a word catheter was inserted as well. A couple days after this I had a follow up appointment with the local womens clinic and was referred there by the doctor who performed the first i and d. I was then diagnosed with a labial abscess as well and that day had to have another surgery with incision and drainage. I also was diagnosed with mrsa staph infection. I also have no insurance and make very little money. My local hospital admitted me into the er and performed all the necessary procedures as well as gave me a financial aid application to help with bills. I would advise you to get it looked at. Mine started out with just one but it can progress into many very fast if not caught quick enough. I just got out of the hospital today and feel significantly better.
A few days ago, I noticed a small painful hard lump on the left side of my labia.  This grew at a very rapid rate, and became unbareably painful.  I went to an Urgent Care Clinic and the Dr said its a Staph infection and put me on 2 anitbiotics.  1 in pill form the other a topical cream to apply to the abscess.  By that night, it had grown twice the size it was earlier in the day.  I couldn't take the pain anymore, and frankly, it got so big its scary so I went to the ER the next morning.  The ER Dr said it may be MRSA.  He gave me a couple pain pills, numbed the area by inserting a needle, and then used a bigger needle to see if it was ready to drain.  He said it wasn't ready yet and he called my OBGYN.  I was instructed to go ASAP, so I have an appointment tomorrow.  The ER Dr also said that I will probably need surgery being put under with general anesthesia.  Also, he told me to stop the topical cream ASAP (Bactroban) because it wasn't good for it, and in fact it did make it sting when applied.  It is still growing at a very rapid rate, and its making its way into my vagina.  I see my OBGYN tomorrow and will find out more.  This is probably the worse pain I've ever felt!!  How does one get MRSA?  I've heard of it before, but not sure how it came about.  I've never been so happy to see a Dr in my life.  I want relief ASAP!  
I have been suffering from something painful for a little over a week.  Went to the dr. yesterday, and was told it was a vaginal abscess.  I'd started soaking in hot epsom salts bath day before yesterday, and she prescribed Avalox yesterday (antibiotic) .  Well, this morning, I was quite rudely awakened when it decided to pop and drain.  Thank goodness I had undies on - it was a mess!  But the relief was instantaneous as far as pain goes.  So, I can highly recommend epsom salt baths and Avalox combo for this kind of problem.  Oh, and she gave me another Rx for pain.  There is nothing even remotely fun about vaginal abscesses.  She said it could be caused by wearing undies or pants that are too tight... I was just stumped as to what could have caused it.    Very frustrating, very painful, and I'm glad it's about over with.
That's weird I recently started taking meds for Hyperthyroidism, I just got one, which scared the B-gebers outta me!!
I wonder if they have something to do with the Thyroid hormones.. if so FML..
- it popped like a pimple after a day which was soo gross but a huge relive for someone like me I automaticly think Cancer :-|
I had the same problem...occurring every month and extremely painful.  Every month I was put on antibiotics and it would go away but come back the following month.  I was finally sent to my GYN and was told until the core was removed...it would continue to return.  Even though it "disappears" and the skin is smooth, the problem is still there.

Two days ago i went into outpatient surgery and they removed the core.  Hopefully this helps and they never return.
BTW...it is an abscess that causes scar tissue to build if you don't take care of it .  The antibiotics are to clear up the cellulitis.

One thing I was told was to never shave down below...use nair or veet...because when you shave..and you get those little "bumps"....staph which lives on your skin enters into the nick and you end up with this problem...
I am going through the same thing. It's horrible and I'm so tired of it. I have another abscess where they removed my bartholin gland. They didn't get it all out and now it's reinfected. I'm headed back for a 3rd surgery. This is the worst thing ever. Thanks for sharing your experience.
omg ladies I was at a bbq the other day out door of course and I felt a little sting and I thought I was bit by a bug later that night I took a bath and felt a little bumb and it was hurting slightly the next day I felt it grew a little bit bigger and wonder should I go to dr and like many of you I do not have insurance either so I go to work and by the time I got home this sucker is hurting and I now can see a white head so I go to er to find out that I have a abcess (abscess) caused not from being dirty but from shaving a week earlier in the er i was numbed by needle and it hurt like a mofo and then lanced and percribed antibiotics and two days later it still is very swollen and sore it hurts to walk but I have been taking tyleno 500 mg every couple of hours and that help ease the pain a little I am taking antiboditcs now and if no changes by tomorrow I will be returning to er the pain is unbareable at this point I sure hope it goes away soon
I have had cyst for four years on and off any ways I have a bump that stays there and I gets infected some times what should u do
I know this is a very old thread but i am having the same problem! My right outer labia is swollen and painful.  a lymph node in my groin area  is also tender and swollen. my labia feels almost hard... It started out just a small lump but I keep messing with it trying to get it to pop and now I have this. I hate goin to the dr bit I think I might have to bite the bullet on this one and just go...
I was just researching how common vaginal abscesses are, and this discussion board came up and I thought I might share my story in hopes it may give at least somebody somewhat of a clue what is going on when they notice a lump on either side of the clitoris, I noticed I was a sore down there, after getting trying to find out what might be causing it, I noticed a lump the size a little smaller than a golf ball. Throughout that night, the pain was only worse, I was not sleeping at all, I could not get comfortable, and it got to where it was excruciating to deal with. I woke my dad up ( I am 17) and told him there was something very very wrong with my down stairs and I am in so much pain that I need to see a doctor now. He called my pediatrician, who had an appt. available three hours out, which absolutely was not going to cut it. We proceeded to go to the emergency room, where they told me that there was an abscess the size of an orange on the left size of my vagina that they'd have to do surgery on. Which did not go well, (especially when they won't give you morphine when you're an adolescent who has been to the same emergency room for heroin withdrawal having came in the local detox van(as if that was a necessary part of the story) (as if half of this stuff isn't rambling :) ) particularly because they were unsuccessful, it only made it more painful and they didn't give me any pain meds.
But, as soon as I got over to the regular hospital, they did the correct surgery and took all the necessary measures in making me more comfortable and abscess free. Surely, you half of you must know how painful it is, especially one that size, I wish you all the best.
The point I'm getting at, my lump appeared suddenly and grew in size and more painful very very quickly, at that point, I'd advice you to get to the hospital! :)
im really young, in my late teens and I have had this happen since I was in jr. high. I am a virgin, so I know its not an STD. its on the right side of my vagina, on the outter lip. I am really scared because I dont want to tell my mom. when it gets swollen, it hurts so bad and it usually happens around my period. when it pops, it smells bad and its all pus and blood, but with a green tint to it. kinda yellow, I also have another one right above it that is smaller but just as painful. im not sure what to do, and im scared to tell my mom because she might think I have STDs or somehing. I used to get them evey two years, but recently they have been coming in more. sometimes when they do, they only swell then go back down. I beleive they have only popped maybe about 5 or 6 times since 7th grade.
so im only 16 and iv gotten like skittle sized bumps on my labia at least 3 times now, they don't hurt unless i squeeze them. The first time i got one it went away, then the second time i left it alone for about a week and then squeezed it and everything came out and it went away and i just thought it was a zit but its been about 2 weeks and i just found another one. I squeezed it today in the shower and it started to discolor so i stopped. I'm embarrassed to tell my mom and go to the OBGYN because iv never been before. I'm confused why i'm getting these, i'm still a virgin! I think i will try the hot bath and see how it goes and give it some time and then check up on it again. Since i squeezed it in the shower its become less swollen which is good, but some advice would be greatly appreciated!
Hi ladies :) I hope I can be of some help.  First I am a mom and a grandma and I have had a couple of these in my life time.  I think they are caused by  our panties or pants that are too tight.  And sometimes they can be ingrown hairs that became infected.

I am proud of you for looking for help because your unsure how your mom might take this.   But please talk to her and tell her what is going on.  Tell her that you even looked it up on the web and it says you most likely have a vaginal abscess from an ingrown hair.  That will calm her down if you think she might freak out or something.  Because she as a mom and a woman will know that ingrown hairs just happen.

They need to be taken care of and you need some prescription medicine.  If it hurts and I know mine hurt so bad ! They will also give you some medicine for pain. (Thank goodness!)

But let me say again.  You Must go see a doctor okay ladies ?  This will not go away completely with out help by a doctor.  Plus going to the doctor is a lot better than hurting so bad until you can't take it any more , ya know ?

To the younger girls,  your body is going through and will continue to go through so many hormonal changes that these things may happen more often.  So it is very important you go to the doctors.  Okay Ladies ;)

Hugs ,
GypsyBlu
Grandma. :)
would it be bad that I just pin pricked what I think could have been a cyst/absess on my left labia near my clitoris.. I persevered with ot for a few days and couldn't handle any more.. Could I have made it worse? I had blood and pus secreting..
No way..don't pin whatsoever. That can cause an even worse infection. I know its tempting because you just want it to go away!

Instead place hot moist towels on the abscess. This hot compressant will relieve pain and it'll either bring it to head or reduce it. Either way..it'll be on its way out. Try to do it several times a day.

Hi and I have currently been dealing with a abscess just as this 2 years ago I got one after sitting in a part of satin pants on hot day 3 days later it popped on it's own I kept it Very Clean and dry the entire time it went away

and when I went to my GYNO Doctor I think within a week she didn't even see it anymore, and she told me they are common and nothing to really worry about

Now I recently had a stomach aliment and My doctor prescribed me 3 different Antibiotics to treat it, after a few days of taking them I noticed i was starting to feel REALLY under the weather when i had previously been feeling fine after the medication had adjusted when i was showering I felt it, it was not yet starting to swell but, within hours of that shower it started to.

I hot a Fever and started taking mortin for it, I was talking to a friend of Mine after I read up on it and everything was telling me to go to a doctor to have it pretty much Lanced off, and I was terrified to do that because I was afraid the medication which gave me loose bowels periodically and to have a open wound was a NO NO, so i talked to a she simply said "very simple remedy.... take a peace of saturated paper towel put TOOTHPASTE on it and press it over the abscess and leave it... do this several times a day, I after the second time I noticed the puss coming out onto the the napkin,

it didn't NOT POP, it was just absorbed into the tissue, I'm on my fourth application and it's almost gone, and the Menthol in the toothpaste soothed the pain INSTANTLY, (Only if your not moving around to much and agitating it) My friend told me Just do this every day for 3 days straight and make sure it's completely dried out and you shouldn't have any more problems. I'm going to continue to follow her instructions to make sure it's fully dried out and keep an eye on it because i still have one more weeks of these medication so it may flare up again, but, that what my remedy is and IT WORKS,

But as a precaution after it has drained go to see a physician to make sure that all is good, and there isn't anything else wrong and that it has FULLY cleared up, I was more fear full because I didn't want to take MORE antibiotics on top of the one i'm ALREADY taking,

Well that my two cents I hope that helps you guys with money issue and can't go to the doctor often, and I will try to update you on the results when it's done BYE