Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Viewing 601-657 comments:
I am new here.  I am 30 yrs old.  I have never had sex before.  I have had really bad constipation which caused me to
have bad anal fissures and I have also had pain around the lower vaginal area/ not inside the wall but right around the outside.  It feels like the skin around the vaginal area is really thin and it aches particularly with any kind of positioning- depends on the way I am sitting.  I went to see a urogyn dr. and he gave me this cream- diltiazem
ointment b/c he thought the skin around the vaginal area wasn't getting enough blood flow b/c of the fissures and it didn't help.  I really would like to have sex some day, a relationship, and be pain free but I fear that sex is going to kill me even though I haven't had it.  It makes me sad to think about a lack in social future.  How do I fix this?

I have the same problem as you. I heal after 2 days though, and i'm not in pain down there. I went to a gybn and she gave me a cream (steryode cream) so i used it maybe 7 times total in the last 3 years. My son will be three next month and all these problems down there started to happen after having my first child ( c-section) but i also agree since i had my 2 kids hormones have changed me down there. So, what i'm getting at is i went for a regular physical 2 weeks ago and metioned this cream i got years ago expired and i wanted some more and he was like" this cream is a steryode and will make you really thin down there" your skin down there. So, i said to him what can i do? I bath everyday with the espom salts, shower before bed etc. He told me to buy vitamin e capsules and squirt the liquid down there, he told me i could use these 2 a day. so, i've been usung the vitamin e 3 times a week. Hope this is helpful!
Hi, i have the same issue.. After i had my first child 3 years ago this started happening. I went to a gyncologist and she prescribed me a steryode cream which i just found out over time a steroyde cream will just thin the area even more. So, my doctor told me to start using vitamin e capsules and squirt the liquid down there. It has helped me, hope this info helps you.
I'm 13, and I'm having this problem. I'm a virgin, Nd everytime I try to wash or wip it Burns sooo bad xc and I don't feel comfortable telling my mom or anyone, its embarrassing. And idk what to do?
Oh ladies, why do we have to deal with such difficulties? I too have the same problem. Only one partner for almost 10 yrs and even got tested for STD's about 2 months ago. Every few months I end up with some type of something going on. It's making me crazy! I can't sit, stand, or urinate without some type of pain.Sometimes it even feels like I am being pinched really hard. I have a cut on one side and a sore on the other. I have tried my sons Butt Paste, DON"T DO THAT! It burns like the dickens and doesn't help at all. On top of all that, I now have a UTI from all the creams I have been trying. Saw someone suggest Vaseline, going to try that next. Good Luck!
My daughter has the fissures too and was on Nuvaring... she is now divorced and celebate and been off Nuvaring for two or three months. She said she is more lubricated (I guess the birthcontrol does cause dryness) but she still has the fissures come and go...just had a biopsy done this a.m. so we are hoping for an answer but after looking at this comment thread we may be still wondering. The dr did say it is not an STD, but hinted that it may be a systemic disease. He was confident that it was not likely to be cancerous though... that is good news since we lost her dad to cancer when she was 9. Hope some news comes through...
I have been getting the same thing for months and finally I got an answer from my gyno! It was from reoccurring yeast infections. Apparently the yeast makes ur skin super susceptible to tearing... Not fun. Tearing can also be causes by scratching, intercourse, and stretching the skin down there. Hope I was some help.
Here is a good link to help you understand the wide array of issues that can be the culprit for your problems:
http://www.wfoflou.com/health-topics-vulvovaginal-pain-women-first-obgyn-louisville-ky.html
Causes of vulvovaginal pain can include:

Infectious conditions, such as recurrent or complicated yeast, trichomonas, and herpes. These conditions are diagnosed by looking at the vaginal discharge under the microscope and by culturing the vaginal discharge. Treatments can include long-term antifungal use, both topical and/or medications, and antivirals and antibiotics.

Inflammatory skin disorders such as atrophic vulvovaginitis, allergic vulvovaginitis, lichens simplex chronicus, lichens sclerosis, lichen planus and desquamative vaginitis. These disorders are diagnosed by distinctive characteristics of the skin and the vaginal tissues or by biopsy. Treatments can include topical steroids or topical immune modulators, antihistamines, topical numbing preparations and topical estrogens; often a combination of these therapies are used.

Neurological disorders such as pudendal nerve entrapment or injury from childbirth or trauma including sports injury, referred pain from ruptured disc, herpes neuralgia, pelvic floor dysfunction or neurologic diseases such as multiple sclerosis. Treatment for these conditions would be to treat the underlying condition.

Neoplastic (cancerous or precancerous) disorders such as squamous cell carcinoma and vulvar intraepithelial neoplasia (VIN). These conditions are diagnosed by biopsy and have a range of treatment depending on the severity of the lesions. Mild lesions may be treated with topical immune response modifiers; others may need to be excised or removed surgically.

Vulvodynia or vulvovestibulitis syndrome, vestibulodynia, vulvar dysesthesia, clitorodynia, and vaginismus which are diagnosed by excluding all other causes of the vulvovaginal pain and based on symptoms. In the case of vestibulodynia which is the most common vulvar pain condition, the presence of symptoms known as Fredrich criteria confirm the diagnosis.
I am having the same problem I have had yeast infections in the past and my boyfriend and I have been sexually active for about 5 months now I have never experienced a cut like this before. Mine is on the left of my clitoris near the pubic hair. I thought herpes and freaked myself out but I don't think it is anything sexually transmitted because to me it seems like something would have happened earlier. My thoughts are a yeast infection cause the cut, fissure, whatever it is. Today makes a week since it's showed up I haven't been to the doctor yet. I also thought that maybe the cut could have been from his fingernail or teeth because the last time we had sex he used both hands and oral. So idk, I am just worried, and scared, and stressed, and extremely itchy and tired of this!
I have been having vaginal itching/burning for the past 2 months. I stopped taking birth control (Kariva) in July, and After my period in September, the itching was unbearable. I went to the doctors, had all the STD/Vaginosis tests, and they all came back neg.  She gave me Diflucan, which surprising helped, and the itching was gone within a day or 2.  Fast forward to a month later, and I have the exact same symptoms after the end of my period. Itching Burning, it is the worst when I go to bed at night, and when I wake up.  I even wake up in the middle of the night because it's so bad. I can go a normal 9 hour workday with no real discomfort, but immediately when I get home $#@$#@!! It's bad. There is no discharge with this, and I noticed the little cutson the skin inbetween my vaginal opening and anus, would leave small blood mark on my toilet paper (that's the only reason I knew they were there). What is happening to me!?? This all started after I went off birth control, should I go back on!?
I've had this issue for over two years and have seen 4 different doctors, all of whom told me different things.  I had tearing inside the opening of my vagina and around it on the outside as well (sex or even toilet paper could cause this).  I had constant itching, dizziness (head rushes), foggy mind (I couldn't think of basic words), worsening allergies, fatigue, and around the same time this started, I was having stomach issues (it felt like a painful spleen if you've ever had mono).  I was told I had recurring yeast infections, even though the tests were really negative.  I was told it was jock itch.  I was tested for all types of STDs (all negative) and biopsied - came back with nothing.  I was given creams, that made me nervous based on comments here.

I read this site for hours and decided to start the candida diet, which was extremely difficult. I wasn't until I saw a doctor who was a certified gynecologist at a holistic doctor's office that she recommended I remove gluten and that changed my life.  My itchiness disappeared in addition to foggy mind, dizziness and many allergic reactions.    My vaginal tears improved, although they didn't go away.  Now, if I have gluten my *** will itch the next day (seriously) and my nose will itch.  

Also, based on recommendations from this site, I went off my birth control for a few months and found sex wasn't nearly as painful.  Thinking I was on the mend, I went back on BC for a month and found the pain worsening again.  So I'm back off BC, which stinks, but it does seem to be helping.  I got my first tear in months, but I think I wasn't off BC for long enough again and had been eating too much gluten.  Now that I've been off BC for a while, I've noticed I'm having discharge again, which I didn't realized had stopped, which I think shows I'm not as dry as normal.

My doctor also found I had low iron, Vit D and B12 levels, which helped with the fatigue.  Zinc levels sound interesting, and now I'd like to get that checked.

I don't think I've figured this thing out 100% (maybe I have more allergies I need to get under control), but removing gluten and BC has helped me tremendously.  

I'll let you know if I find anything else that finally cures this!  I know how difficult this can be, especially when you're in a relationship and just can't have sex because it hurts too much.
I recently had a crazy outbreak of itching and swelling and dry peeling skin and consequently bleeding from itching the peeling skin, i also had splits along the edge of my vagina and thighs after using a few 'feminine care' products. I went to see my doctor and he said i had a dermatitis burn most likely from those products. I did get a swab and urine test done and i am waiting for the results. He prescribed some quarterzone cream and salt water baths. It has been 2 days and i have found a slight relief...  not as much as i had hoped for but we will see how it goes.
It might be that women are usually shaved... n men are not.. the friction from pubic hair???....
Wow, God Bless this thread and the folks contributing information to it. The stress of being a woman!
Hi, I am 37 years old and I have had the same problem for about 3 years now.  The first doctor thought that I had Psoriosis (psoriasis) causing the itching and then my scratching that area would cause the skin to tear.  Then a bit later, I noticed a little sore on my vaginal lips that looked oval with a little cut in the middle.  I also noticed that the skin around my vulva, the vaginal lips and towards my anus was kind of discolored--instead of pink, it was kind of greyish white.  I investigated the symptoms on the computer and found a picture that looked exactly like my sore.  On the computer, they said it was an autoimmune disorder called "lichen schlorosis".  I  went to the doctor and he examined the sore and the grey area and agreed that it was lichen schlorosis.  He prescribed a cream for me :  Hyderm 1% Clotrimaderm CR1:1  Compound.   I find that I can go for a long time without getting the sores but, my skin tears very easily near anus and my clitoris and the whole vulvular region actually.  I find that I have more problems around my period (maybe because of more wiping?)  The cream I use does really help soothe the pain when I get an "outbreak" though.  Hope this helps.
I'm 22 and I've had these issues since October of last year. I could never find relief. I tried apple cider vinegar, hydrocortisone cream, sulfur oil, and astringent. I tried cocoa butter and vagisil as well. Even colloidal silver gel. The vagisil kind of soothed the itch and the cuts would come and go. I've gone to the doctors at least 3 times now and they could never find anything wrong. They said the pap smear was normal, herpes tests came back negative, blood came back negative, everything. Ugh it's still so annoying and painful.

Well I tried taking Lysine. It didn't work either. So I'm going to try making a solution with oil, lysine, and alcohol. I have a solution of oil and rubbing alcohol now that I spray on the area (Hurts like hell of course but just fan it with a fan and deal with the slight pain.) and then I put neosporin onto it. Well the neosporin was working but b/c I use it all the time, I think my body is getting used to it. So now I'm using Elocon cream (for eczema) and it's helping a bit too.

Another tip is that keeping it waxed down there really helps the cuts heal and dry out. I made my own sugaring wax and gave myself a Brazillian lol. Honestly, it felt so much better when I got rid of all the hair. It ripped up the dead, peeling skin, and kind of healed the cuts too.
This may be the answer for some of you!!  I had the same itchy problems you are describing for about 9 months.  I went to 4 different Gynecologists and they told me the same things you are hearing- maybe it's your soap, sleep naked, use these creams blah, blah, blah..  I could not take it anymore, and I was convinced that this was not normal and I should not have to do all this stuff just to feel not itchy.  Finally, I went to the fifth doctor.  She tested me for "GROUP B STREP".  I tested positive- she gave me some sort of 5 or 7 day prescription (pills) and it was gone - totally- for 6 years now- back to normal - no more creams, no more anything!!!  I could not believe I suffered for that long before finally a doctor figured it out.  Group B Strep is NOT a sexually transmitted disease.  It happens when microscopic amounts of fecal matter end up in your vagina and can cause a disruption of the flora in there.  Not hard to happen if you have been going to the bathroom all day, have had a bowel movement, and then have sex that evening without taking a shower first.  I know it sounds gross but, it easily happens to people.  So...  it's worth a shot- ask your doctor to test you for "GROUP B STREP".  Also, this is VERY important to know if you are going to have babies because once you have Group B Strep it lies dormant in your body and when you have a baby, they need to put you on an antibiotic during delivery.  It's extremely important!!  Don't worry you cannot pass Group B Strep on to your sexual partners.  (At least not as of latest research)  I was shocked that I had Group B Strep, as I was not engaging in anal sex or anything but, my doctor told me it's actually very easy to get, you do not even have to be sexually active and you can get it.  So even if you think this can't be what it is, it's worth a shot to mention to your doctor to be tested for Group B Strep.  It's real easy, it's just a swab test.  

Also, here are some things that might help, they are cardinal rules for me and should be for every woman!!  They should have taught this in health class!!  I have had no more problems:

1) ALWAYS urinate immediately after sex.  Even if it is just a few drops.  This will help eliminate your UTI's.  Do not just roll over and go to sleep!!  Very important!!

2)  ALWAYS wipe front to back.  (I know most woman know this one, but just want to make sure.)

3) DO NOT engage in anal sex.  If you must, DO NOT go from the anus to the vagina or mouth without thoroughly washing the penis with soap and water.  If you go from the anus to the vagina without washing, this is a sure fire way to get Group B Strep which causes itching.

4) Whenever possible try to have CLEAN sex.  Meaning both partners take  a bath or shower first.  If this is not possible, at the very least before sex, take a washcloth and wash your anus.  You don't want that bacteria from fecal matter getting mixed in during sex.

5) DO NOT put on underwear while wearing shoes.  You do not want any bacteria on your shoes going on your underwear.  The vagina is a delicate place!

Hope this helps!!
Soo glad I looked this up, every time we have sex I'm in agony my husband looked and said theirs 3 tears I've been 2 doctors twice they gave me thrush cream and stuff 2 balance my p.h levels but both don't seem 2 work I just seem 2 be getting more. I'm in so much pain my husband doesn't want 2 have sex,I've have the implant fitted and I haven't had a period in nearly 2 years so I'm wondering if this is the cause? Any ideas
Do you have an update or anymore information n how the year has held for you?  I saw another doctor today who was clueless also and I am still looking for answers?  Any help would be appreciated.
I have been reading this feed for over 2 years and have tried many different things but just recently did I finally figure out what is wrong with me and it could be the same for you. I too have fissures that have been occurring on and off for years now. I have done much research and had an idea that it could be (vaginal dryness) but only read that it happens to older females (I am in my 20s). I recently had a problem of reoccurring UTIs  and after many tests figured out I have a small urethra which is due to low estrogen which is a result of birth control because birth control reduces estrogen in the body (there are other reasons people have low estrogen such as women who are menopausal or younger females who do not produce enough estrogen- a urine or blood test can tell you). I researched low estrogen and low and behold one side effect of low estrogen is VAGINAL DRYNESS which can cause vaginal fissures. I have read on this feed that birth control can thin your vaginal walls which makes it easier for tears to occur. About a year ago my gyno told me I can skip my period 3 months at a time (take my pills continually for 3 months and not have a period) and I have been doing this. I believe that by not allowing my body to have periods and continuing my birth control without stopping has created this problem of low estrogen (I am not allowing my body to recuperate), Women who do not have periods (those in menopause) have to take estrogen. The doctor prescribed me an estrogen cream that will help with my urethra and I am thinking it will also help with my fissures. I am not promising this is your problem but it is one reason people get fissures and it is the reason (I believe) that I get them. Low estrogen also can cause painful sex which I have seen some women complain about on this feed as well.  I will keep you updated on my progress. Good luck!
I do suffer from the same as y'all I have been told its a yeast that grows and causes these tears.. I was told from my gyn to blow dry the area and apply nystatin powder its a prescription and it heals it up within a few days good luck!!!
Panda
Wash the affected area with water only, soap washes out the good bacteria that protects from from the bad bacteria. Cut an old cotton shirt to wipe or dry while you heal and apply vaseline or extra virgin alive oil to make whiping easier. Sleep pantyless to air dry and then apply the ointments. Don't be affraid to tell your mother we only want to help.
The same thing happened to me. I believe because I met this Guy with a monster penis lol the very first monster penis IV ever had well anyway after the fist round I was fine but the second round is when I was like ok hurry up I'm hurting the nxt day I noticed a tear. Is it possible to have the same kind if tear u wud get during. Childbirth but during sex with a late penis or is this a STD HELP PLZ
I have the same prob.., this article may help.

http://m.everydayhealth.com/sexual-health/avoiding-vaginal-cuts
I have read quite a few women's health forums on this issue, because I too get a tear every so often right beside the labia minora in the crease. It seems to be very common, and in every case, no Dr. Has seemed to diagnose the problem. All they do is prescribe different ointments and creams to see if it works. What I do as soon as it happens is put a little bit of vasoline on the tear and wear a panty liner. It seems to heal within a day, two days at most. There really is no known cure or preventative medication as far as I know, so really, you just have to deal with it.
I am so glad I found this sight. I have a possible trigger for these fissures that I can clearly recall. I had one fissure right split in the skin spot right between my anus and vagina. It healed on it's own and now a week later I have one in the crack on the outside of my labia where it meets my body. I have a thought. A week before this occurred I changed my birth control to a lower estrogen level pill because my pill was causing melasma or dark spots from too much estrogen on my face.  But never did this other pill cause me fissures. It had a high dose of estrogen in it. I have been on it for 10yrs no fissures. But less than a week after switching pills to the lower estrogen I am experiences these fissures along with irritation and burning. They did STD testing at same time as the pill switch which all came back negative.  I do get chronic bacterial vaginosis but do not havethose symptoms.  I am thinking I'm going to go back to the high dosage pill after a visit to the gyn.  It feels almost like a yeast infection but the small cut o have and just think milky discharge does not match the symptoms. I will keep u posted.
am so glad I found this sight. I have a possible trigger for these fissures that I can clearly recall. I had one fissure right split in the skin spot right between my anus and vagina. It healed on it's own and now a week later I have one in the crack on the outside of my labia where it meets my body. I have a thought. A week before this occurred I changed my birth control to a lower estrogen level pill because my pill was causing melasma or dark spots from too much estrogen on my face.  But never did this other pill cause me fissures. It had a high dose of estrogen in it. I have been on it for 10yrs no fissures. But less than a week after switching pills to the lower estrogen I am experiences these fissures along with irritation and burning. They did STD testing at same time as the pill switch which all came back negative.  I do get chronic bacterial vaginosis but do not havethose symptoms.  I am thinking I'm going to go back to the high dosage pill after a visit to the gyn.  It feels almost like a yeast infection but the small cut o have and just think milky discharge does not match the symptoms. I will keep u posted.
I have hade the exact same issue and this is what I'm thinking. An allergy to toilet paper. I usually wake up around 4 a.m. every morning to use the bathroom. I started noticing that the itching was sever first thing in the morning. I inspected myself one morning around eight so four hours after the last use and I was shocked to see how many toilet paper fuzzies that were stuck to me. I have started buying cheap toilet paper because it is less processed and I use flushable wet wipes routinely. Everything healed up and stayed healed! Now this is the reason I think I'm right, I ran out of wipes and was using the fluffy junk from the old supply and two day later I was back to where I had started from. It has to be the toilet paper because its not just women with this issue. Some tips to help the healing along: only use the wet wipes until the cuts are gone. After your shower use a blow dryer set on cold to dry the area. For women: Use PH balancing vagisil after intercourse after washing and drying with the blow dryer. I know it seems like a lot if work but it is worth it. Good luck!
I heard of something called ss sorjens nsyndrome usually the above as discussion plus mouth dryness or burning? I suffer too and just having bloods today to see if its immune system
I am 15 and I am having the same issue. I am not sexually active so I know it isn't stds. I got these fissures in the sides near the opening of my vagina towards the anus. The fissures have been there for 3 weeks now and the pain sometimes lessens but returns. The tears haven't gone away and I have tried neosporin and a baby cream for cuts and burns. None of it has worked. I have terrible pain when I urinate and the tears bleed a little when I wipe. I have no idea what is going on but I hope it goes away soon. Any ideas would be greatly appreciated!
Okay, I have been dealing with this for years now and nothing seems to help, I think it is a combination of shaving, toilet paper, and irritation. I don't have a cure for it but Today I put baby oil on it and rubbed it in. it didn't burn at all and it soothed the pain. It happens every time I shave and then don't shave again for a few days. I believe the itching is caused from the growing hairs after you shave and they start to grow back they are just poking your skin. This is just how it is for me. Try keeping it shaved and when you do shave make sure you are using warm water and soap that helps your razor glide easy so you don't irritate your skin. I am going to try putting baby oil on it after every time I shave to see if it heals them up at all. Trust me I have been trying to fix these little cuts for years and I am to embarrassed to go to the doctor. I have never been to an OBGYN because I am a virgin so these are definitely not from any sort of STD's. I hope this helps. It seems like it is just extreme razor burn honestly. Since the skin there is so sensitive it tears easily. I welcome anyone else to try the baby oil, hopefully this helped some!
I posted a really long recent response on another thread. With things you may want to try...

http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Vaginal-Fissures/show/29354
I really thought I was alone on this issue since my doctors seem clueless. The ointment did not provide any relief & I find myself using Benedryl anti itch cream daily. My gyno thought it could be psoriasis????? Don't think so though. The bad news, I have had this issue for 4 years now & it's only gotten worse. I'm thinking about contacting my dermatologist for some insight. Best of luck to all, I will keep you posted on any positive outcome.
thanks.your comment is very helpful.
apparently I've had an vaginal+anal fissure for 24 years
I have suspected it for many yrs. but due to no insurance and poor health care nobody noticed or cared.
I recently fired $150 and went to a gynecologist.
I was told right away there was a fissure that went straight from my vagina to my anus.
Freaking out
okay kinda gross but here goes
I got poop coming out of my vagina when I cough teal hard, of I throw up and yes when I poop. I have been using a douche to flush out my vagina using just water to prevent any infections. So far have have never had one but  still concerned of possible health risks. I go from constipated to diariah in a in a minute
My doctor just said I need surgery. No explanation of the risks the benefits nothing ! I will have to hope charity care will even cover this surgery? And how will the quality of the care be ? Has anyone had this surgery ? Can u offer your opinion of the risks and benefits and what are they actually
Hello
I had several anal vaginal fistulas caused by Crohn's disease. I had them repaired by a colorectal surgeon 12 years ago. If the doctor knows what they're doing its very simple problem to repair. She went up inside my rectum and found where the fistula originated and put a "patch" on it and it healed over in a few weeks.  It is done under general anesthesia.  Make sure the doctor is board certified colorectal surgeon. In Los Angeles, the surgeon was Beth Moore, md at cedar Sinai hospital. Good luck!
I have been suffering about 12 yrs now from recurring perineal and anal fissures. The perineal fissures happen just about every time I have intercourse and the anal fissures happen about once or twice a month. It could be due to previous yeast infections or genital herpes outbreaks or PCOS hormone imbalances or the fact that I'm no spring chicken anymore. It could also be that it's happened so much that I have scar tissue build up which makes the tissue less pliable. All I know is I've tried lots of lubricant and researched lots of possible issues. My skin seems thin and it seems like when I spread my legs apart the skin only stretches a certain extent and stops. Combine these and it leads me to believe whatever caused that is what causes the tears. Perhaps I was born with it? Or again perhaps it's a hormone imbalance. The only resolve I've found it cleaning immediately after intercourse with hydrogen peroxide since alcohol makes me scream with pain and then my hubby seals the fissures with Nexcare crack care liquid as it's the only brand I found that worked best without causing pain as well. By cleaning and sealing right away it keeps irritants out and heels faster. Occasionally I have to recheck for reopenings. Until I find a true diagnosis or cure I hope this helps other sufferers. For those who are young (in their teens) I'd recommend a trip to see your Dr or Gynocologist just to be sure what if they can find out it is. I know when I was young I didn't know as much about my body as I do now.
Thank you all for sharing your experiences! Here is mine:

My background:
-25 years old
-have not taken any form of birth control for five years (I took Ortho Tri Cyclen Lo and then Hi for 2 years)
-became sexually active at age 18
-am sporadically sexually active with inconsistent partners
-use condoms
-don't use lubrication
-use Tampax tampons
-have history if yeast infections and often experience dryness

About five days after coming home from a 7-day trip to Bali in mid-August where I had sex with a new partner I noticed my vagina was abnormally dry, itchy, and a bit swollen. I attributed this to wearing tight pants and sitting for an extended period of time but was also very wary of possible STDs because when having sex with my partner in Bali one of our condoms had broken.

Two days later the swelling continued and I noticed a change in discharge. It seemed to increase in quantity and became more watery. Many of these symptoms are consistent with herpes symptoms so I convinced myself that this is what I had. When the painful fissures appeared I was pretty positive they were a herpes outbreak. They started along one side of my vagina and moved to my anus.

I went to a clinic in Perth, Australia six days after the fissures cleared (did not know they were fissures at the time) where I was examined and had a blood test for STDs. The doctor told me she didn't suspect herpes and did a pH test and attributed my symptoms to a bad yeast infection. All STD results came back negative. I was skeptical and was still convinced that I had herpes.

Saw my gynecologist 20 days after this and he told me he suspected herpes. He swabbed a bump that he said looked suspicious which came back negative for herpes (although he said that many tests come back with false negatives).

I told my partner from Bali that it was very likely that I had herpes and he was genuinely surprised because he has had no symptoms and has never been made aware that he has possibly been exposed (side note: I am well aware that most men are asymptomatic and many people are also in denial). I started seeing a therapist to help cope with my herpes diagnosis.

I scheduled another appointment with my gynecologist ten days after he diagnosed me with herpes to discuss questions I had about treatment, management, etc. That morning I happened to wake up with vaginal fissures (I thought it was a herpes outbreak). After examination my gynecologist retracted his initial diagnosis of herpes and told me they were fissures. He simply said that it is a skin condition with no known cause and that I just have sensitive skin. He told me to use Triple Paste cream which is also used for skin conditions like eczema. So far I have not used any treatment except for Aquaphor to sooth the pain and help with dryness.

My gynecologist had tested me for Hepatitis B, Hepatitis C, HIV, and syphilis from my blood. The swabs he took checked for ureaplasma and mycoplasma, gonorrhea, chlamydia, yeast, bacteria, and any possible vaginal infection and all came back negative. Even yeast! I am so confused.
Please look up "Jock itch in women" - that is what I did and followed a weekly regimen of using 1. Lamisel 1x/day, 2. washing the lower extremities with selenium sulfide (dandruff shampoo) 2x/day and 3. Taking two doses of oral anti fungal Diflucan.  I did this for one week and it cleared up - now I just use the selenium sulfide wash when I shower to keep it at bay.  I also got all new underwear, change my underwear every day and no longer use panty liners.  I hope this helps someone!
I have had the same thing going on. I was told it is due to toilet paper and to use flush able baby wipes. It feels itchy, painful like paper cuts and dry! I also found bits of toilet paper has anybody else tried baby wipes or maybe it's because of my birth control (I have the implanon and don't get a period at all)... Could it be from no period? Or maybe it is an irritation from my tp and small cuts.... It's itchy and not and std or anything I'm not sexually active. I also noticed a brown pink discharge that was only one day. Sorta worried me but I'm almost certain I have vaginal fissures due to my tp irritating me
Fixed mine!  Found my symptoms matched "lichen sclerosus", and used hydrocortisone cream (over the counter) for 4 days and nights, generously.  Today, I'm back to normal.
Rectocele,may be an issue for this too. After reading other sites,bring me to this forum,same symptoms...however no tears. I to have the itching,burning when I pee,swelling and blood. All I had been using was ice between the cheeks...cold but felt good...I swear that it feels like there are tears galore in the "taint" area...so called.... but my husband assures me there is none. Tried lots...of creams,but nothing seems to work. Just wondering if this Rectocele thing may be attributing to it all. I just hope someone out there has the answer.
I've been having similar issues with a vaginal fissure on and off for about eight months now. It always opens in the same spot and It only seems to happen during intercourse. I had witch hazel recommended to me to help with pain but it did not work for me. When it first began I went to my gynecologist and she recommended using Vaseline or olive oil to help lubricate the area more during intercourse. This worked for a while however my problem started back up again within a month. I returned to my gyno today and she suggested cauterizing, however it's difficult to schedule an appointment because I never know when the fissure will tear again. Her only other suggestion (if the cauterizing doesn't work) is to have an episiotomy. I am hesitant to have this procedure done but am afraid there is no other choice.

My background:
I am 23.
married.
neither of us have STDs.
been on birth control "Caziant" for almost three years.
use Equate lubricant, Tampax or U by Kotex tampons & Trojan Condoms

I agree with you 100% here.  This tearing started with me suddenly and so I went back in my mind to see what I have changed in my lifestyle. (1) I sit a lot at the computer and this would be a lack of circulation in the vaginal area. (2) I use those flush able wipes every time I use the restroom. (2) I started drinking a cold beer with popcorn every night as my treat for the day. "Bingo!" YEAST!  Pure-raw Shea Butter is very high in vitamins A K & E.  I will start eating yogurt as my treat and sit on a doughnut cushion at the computer until I heal. Keep it clean with a different brand of wipes and drink more water in stead of beer.
I first noticed my fissure around a yr ago. As most of you did, i got tested for all sorts of STDs which all came back negative. I did get diagnosed with yeast ( I believe I have chronic yeast as I am forever getting an infection). I started researching this thing and came across information on natural cures for chronic yeast. COCONUT OIL. Pure unrefined, GMO free and organic. Use it right after your shower, ( remember to shower only) this soothes the fissures itching and dryness. I use the oil regularly even after peeing. I tried tea tree oil also. Just rubbed it on the fissure directly. Seems to heal the fissure, but then it reopened with intercourse (go figure!). But research coconut oil. I also wash down there frequently throughout the day and reapply the coconut oil.
I have another doctor's visit coming up and will get rechecked again. This thing is just too uncomfortable!!!
Hey all- not sure if this is a cure or even if it is safe-- ask your doctor ASAP.  

My suggestion for everyone who has vulvodynia/ vaginal pain and/or anal fissures---- try a powdered Magnesium supplement.  I have been having dispareunia and some muscle cramping in the vaginal/bladder/groin region for a (two years?).  Went through phys therapy which seemed to help.  Most helpful though, a combo of high fiber (chia and flax with appleseed before bed every night) and MAGNESIUM powder have helped me to cope.  

I am concerned that my kidneys may not be healthy- that this all might have something to do with an inability to process fluids the way I should ... I have had kidney stones and they do run in my family... but if I use Magnesium sparingly, the pain in my lady-parts and the tearing in my anus at least temporarily subside.  Usually the vaginal pain is at least aided within 30 min of taking a magnesium powder/water supplement, and the anal fissures are generally less painful (softer stool) by the next morning.  The fiber stuff should really be part of a healthy routine, too.

Not to be redundant, but to be clear:
Magnesium powder has made my life livable during this time-- truly made a world of difference.  I sometimes think that this might all be stress related, as the magnesium is a tonic for nerves and helps these for me as well.  

Ask your doctor- but definitely give this a try-- these supplements are generally believed to be safe (though people with kidney problems need to be a little extra careful).

Good luck
*correcting typos above-- had this for a while, two years or so...

and

it's chia with flax and applesauce before bed
Hey, I read your post. SInce you get better using the magnesium powder why don't you try taking a Magnesium supplement? I was reading this enormous tread yesterday (5/31/14) and I came across this lady that had her fissures problem solved by taking that, apparently one of the doctors suggested that. I also saw something about vitamin C deficiency in another comment. Anyway, after all I read I head up to the store and got myself some of those supplements just in case. Apparently Magnesium deficiency is hard to detect according to this link :
http://www.greenmedinfo.com/blog/magnesium-deficiency-symptoms-and-diagnosis
I'm also going to the doc to be tested for Group B strep, Lichen Sclerosus and HPV/VIN - those are other things that I read that some other people suggested and since a lot of people seem to have been to 3, 4, 5 and even more doctors that had no idea or were treating them for yeast and Herpes with no cure, I thought it will be nice to have all this info handy to tell my doctor just in case he is another one with no clue.
Starting on the supplement won't hurt right? I hope this help.
Dear Forum,

First of all, I have been reading your forums for weeks. I have had anal and vaginal fissures and extreme inflammation, caused by what I think was a UTI and Yeast Infection. I did have a UTI and Yeast Infection confirmed. However, I do not know for certain if this correlates.

My first fissure, I believe, was caused by a knick when trimming down there. About a week later I had intercourse. I developed two additional fissures between my anus and vagina (he is well above average and it was my first time). Then another when I had severe constipation.

I was treated for the UTI. UTI went away. Then the Yeast Infection. It helped calm down some of my anal and vaginal itching. I was then prescribed proctofoam which hurt SO much. I cried and cried and then had to bath three separate times just to feel semi-ok. I must have been allergic. This was not normal.

Anyway, two months in, I truly feel like my life *****. A few days after completing my Yeast treatment, I get yeast yet again. Treated again, this time myself using drug store level ointments that i bought for $10-$15. Clears up, but I'm still in so much pain, every day. I can't go out with my friends. I can't exercise. I'm itchy and pinchy and terribly achy. The whole area by that time was radiating pain.

I can't get a good look of that area, so, reluctantly, I asked my mother to take a look. She said I had no fissures anymore in the area at all. How can that be???!?!!? The pain! But, that I looked extremely inflamed and swollen. It was red and radiating heat.

She cut open an aloe vera pill, got a qtip, and put some on.

It is now about 1 hour since she did that. I am in 95% less pain.

I don't know how, but aloe vera cured all my symptoms. She took another look and said all the redness is gone.

I really thought the rest of my life would be this way. I'm so happy I cried. I've been in so much pain for two months and my pain is over! ALOE VERA GEL! Organic with no additives. Pure!

Make sure you still have your anal or vaginal fissure. It could have healed itself, but left you with some type of inflammation, like me.

Note: i never had hemorrhoids but suffer from constipation and stomach inflammation.
I am 21 and in the UK. For the last 4-5 months I have had a consistent tear and soreness especially on the left side of my inner labia.

I visited the STI clinic twice and the doctors said this was not herpes however I requested to be swabbed anyway. The results for all tests were negative.

This was the most stressful and depressing time of my life, I was given antibiotics at the doctors which made me rly sore and itchy. I also had a lot of white discharge.

Around when this happened I started taking Yasmin. About a week ago I went back to the doctors who said she thinks this is thrush. I was very skeptical about this as I've had thrush many times and had no symptons near as bad as this. I used a pessary and hydrocortisone cream twice daily. It made no difference for the first 7 days. I was also given a new pill cerelle which is a pro-oestrogen only pill.

After taking this pill for two days my vagina feels normal again !!! I'm not sure if this was the hydrocortisone cream or the new pill that made it better but I have researched and too much Oestrogen can cause as much damage as too little Oestrogen. Perhaps I had a hormone imbalance, I am praying this doesn't return and I can get back to living my normal life again.

There are a million reasons for vaginal tears don't panic it's herpes as I did. Definitely be persistent with your doctor and don't give up !! Goodluck all :)
I am 41 and my daughter is 17,  we both experienced the same symptom with the cuts and itchyness after we changed toilet paper. We think its the chemicals in the paper they are using.
I started to get cuts appearing on my labia in my forties and got no answers from any gyneacologist. I have now got rid of them by using a short course of Canestan Hydrocrtisone cream (it thins the skin so don't use for too long). What has kept it at bay and got rid of the Lichen Planus I also had is coconut oil. I used it daily for weeks and the cuts have never come back. Coconut oil is antifungal. I also use oestrogen cream.
Whilst the cuts have gone I still have a problem with the skin below the vagina splitting with intercourse, despite the oestrogen cream. I worry I will always be single as intercourse hurts too much now. Would be grateful to hear if anyone has been able to sort this problem.
LADIES PLEASE TRY THIS!

Hello everyone, like you I suffered from vaginal tearing and fissures for about 3 years. Although our circumstances may be a different I think it is worth a shot to try this cream that my doctor gave me. I am 23 years old and starting tearing since I was 20. I started to have sex when I was 20 and a bit after I started tearing after sex. It was the same paper cut like ripping that burned and just made me miserable. And although sex was the main reason why I would rip, i remember a few times I would get really irritated just from stretching. I am still with my boyfriend from when the ripping first started and I went from doctor to doctor (No STD's, not allergic to anything, etc) and just about every time was a let down. I was told to try x,y,z cream, dont wash with soap, do a sitz bath, to having HIM checked out if he had a skin type that wasn't compatible to mine (weird right), to finally hearing "you may just have to be extra careful with sex or regular stretching from now on". And I am telling you ladies, I know how this feels and can just ruin your self esteem and any thought of having an actual pleasurable sex life. It wasn't until this past year I went to a different gynecologist and I told her everything that I have been through. I told her that I have had it up to here and want to get the surgery done where the opening is just widened a bit ( i think its called a perineum) because I was so desperate!. And while she told me this is usually done only for women after they have had babies she would agree to do it but first she wanted me to try this cream  because she believes I have vulvar vestibulitis. Now I dont think this cream has an exact name as I had to go to a special pharmacy to get this cream made but I will write down the name that is on my prescription. It is: C-amitriptyl/Baclofen 2%/ 2% IN VANICREAM. Now she told me to apply about 1/2 grams three times a day for the first month, then lessen to two times a day on the second month, to once a day on the third month. She told me that I would maybe need to always have a little bit of this cream handy just incase i start ripping again. Although I was extremely skeptical. I did tried this. I should also note that during the first and halfway through the second month my boyfriend was overseas in the military, so I was having no sex (which i think helped the skin heal and strengthen faster). The first night we had sex, i ripped a little bit. (ugh!) And I was not surprised just annoyed. But I didn't stop using the cream. After a few more days, we had sex again, and I didn't rip. Then as time went by I stopped ripping completely!! Mind you we are a bit more cautious in certain positions but we do like to get a little crazy, and even at the crazy time I dont rip! I have been a little irritated but at those times I know it because we had rough sex. I now use the cream just once every other day ( or when I can remember) and hopefully in a few months I won't use it at all! So ladies, if you can go to your gynecologist and ask them about this cream!!

Good Luck!
I am a 19 year old female who is a virgin. I have a really bad history with endometriosis and intercystialcystitis and pelvic inflammatory disease.  I have had re-occurring yeast infections and bacterial vaginosis for the past 8 months. I have changed my diet, changed laundry detergents, and even changed the kind of body wash I would normally use. This has still continued for 8 months straight. I have gone to the doctor multiple times and have been on flygal, doxycycline, nystatin cream, nystatin powder, oral nystatyin, diflucan, steroid injections, and many other medications. Nothing has seemed to work. I have been tested for diabetes, std's (because my doctor said it could be that) I TOLD HIM I WAS A VIRGIN, and many other things that I didn't even know existed all in which came back negative. My question is: Why do I still accumulate the infections?? That's all I want to know. I have had the infection at a severity that is so bad an had it for so long that I am literally raw from the front to the back. I am miserable. It hurts to sit, stand, walk, squat, anything... it just hurts and is very uncomfortable. On top of that, I feel gross, I bathe up to 3 times a day just to feel clean and refreshed. It is just terrible. I have noticed since all of this began that my periods have been really late also. I just want to know, like anyone else would want to know whats wrong with me? I have gone to the obgyn, family medical practice, and urologists. I am at the end of my rope and just want to get to the bottom of this!!!!! Any help???? Any Suggestions???
Viewing 601-657 comments: