Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures
by arrowsmom, May 09, 2005
For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
Related Discussions
Member Comments (639)
by pleaseguideme, May 24, 2005
I have been having this exact same problem for months!!  I tried everything I could think of and nothing help.  I finally went back to the doctors yesterday and he hesitantly gave me a prescription for Estrace.  I am 30 yrs old, he does not think this is the problem but will let me try.  He also ran a test for a strange rare yeast and sent it to the lab. We will see. I'm very hopefully the estrogen will work, my skin feels like it needs some help rebuilding or healing. If not I'm to go see a vulva specialist.
Any thing else you can tell me about your situation?  How long did you try the estrogen, was it cream or oral?
by Myaa, Jun 03, 2005
I have been having the same problem for a month, I thought it was because I very seldom wear any underwear. But after a couple weeks of trying not wear them no changes; I am still wondering if maybe I am allergic to my razor and gel. I tear all the time and the itching in almost everyday out of the blue it will itch so bad and I know I can't itch cause then I just tear and then bleed and then it just hurts more. I could really use some help, I just lost my insurance so I don't want to go running to the doctor, also I just was at the doctors and found out I have HPV could this have something to do with all the itching and tearing also?? Please help me I'm going crazy here!
by 62mags, Jun 06, 2005
Hi I've been dealing with this same problem also, for quite some time. It seems to be getting more frequent that I have fissures or cracks in the perineum area. I had always used witch hazel to heal up the fissures but that doesn't seem to work any more, in fact I'm wondering if I'm making the problem worse. I've been doing some research online and see that Drs. prescribe  topical corticosteroid ointment, also read about trying lanolin cream or hydrogenated vegetable oil, thought I'd give that a shot. The skin seems to be so thin and cracks very easily, I do experience burning sometimes during sex also. I also would appreciate any help on this matter.
by jnw, Jun 09, 2005
omg i am so glad i am not the only one with this problem...recently i have had a fissure and it is soooo bad..i went to the drs nearly in tears asking for help..he gave me antibiotics and nystatin and triamcinolone cream  i have been on this cream over 5 days and no progress.  the fissure is at the top of the hood area and therefore cracks open again every time i sit down to pee or wash or get up from sitting on the floor..i switched to wearing boxer shorts all day and night and no help there..god does anyone have any helpful ideas?!!!!
by 62mags, Jun 09, 2005
jnw for one in that area I found it helps to keep it shaved
by candyce1, Jun 16, 2005
Here's a group I wish I wasn't a member of but I know exactly what your talking about. It feels like a razorblade when you do something a simple and gentle as wipe. I almost dread sex due to the pain an knowing it will result in new tears. I'm going to see a new GYN in 2 weeks I hope he can tell me something.
By the way- I've found that Desitin(for baby diaper rash) works good at coating so air and toilet tissue aren't so painful.
by jnw, Jun 16, 2005
me again..been to the docs again he put me on 20days of keflex and gave me two different creams ..the first one a nystatin type cream didnt seem to help much but the second cream has helped tremendously..its called clobetasol propionate ointment .05%  this seems to have worked alot by using morning and night..wearing boxer shorts only and during the day keeping triple antibiotic ointment on the fissure..hope this helps..finally getting some relief myself!!!
by kgr, Jun 23, 2005
I'm really not sure if I experienced the exact same thing, but the paper cut-like tear is something I experienced after childbirth (along with anal fissures). It hurt to urinate and it was only one cut - I can only imagine the pain with many. I called my ob thinking one of my stitches opened. I went in and a suture was removed because it was not dissolving and one of the nurses suggested dabbing Neosporin on it. She said it would help to heal as well as create a barrier to help lessen the pain when urinating. This particular thing worked for me. The cut (in the perinuem) healed and I have not had an issue since. The anal fissures, on the other hand, is something I am still dealing with.  I went to a gastroenterologist and she put me on antibiotics and Nitroglycerin ointment. This seems to be working, but slowly. I also had a colonoscopy and upper-GI/lower bowel series which impeded healing. The Nitroglycerin gives you a bit of a headache, but it is better than the alternative. I also take Colace daily and stay on a high fiber diet and drink a LOT of water. I hope this helps a little - I didn't realize so many others are suffering from similar issues. Best of luck to all of you.
by cw04, Jun 25, 2005
Thank God I'm not the only one with this problem.  I've been trying to research this all day because after going to the doctor she thought it was herpes, but the results came back negative.  I had a tear almost probably about an 1/2 long right between my vagina and anus.   It burns sooo bad to wipe, pee, if I move and stretch the area in that skin.  It happens after sex with my boyfriend, probably because sometimes we are rough, and there isn't enough lubrication.  I have to wait a few days until it has healed to have sex again.  The doctor isn't much help, she was hell-bent on thinking it was herpes.  If anyone finds anything out, or what can be done to stop these awful tear, keep me informed! Thanks