Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures

For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
Viewing 1-200 comments:
I have been having this exact same problem for months!!  I tried everything I could think of and nothing help.  I finally went back to the doctors yesterday and he hesitantly gave me a prescription for Estrace.  I am 30 yrs old, he does not think this is the problem but will let me try.  He also ran a test for a strange rare yeast and sent it to the lab. We will see. I'm very hopefully the estrogen will work, my skin feels like it needs some help rebuilding or healing. If not I'm to go see a vulva specialist.
Any thing else you can tell me about your situation?  How long did you try the estrogen, was it cream or oral?
I have been having the same problem for a month, I thought it was because I very seldom wear any underwear. But after a couple weeks of trying not wear them no changes; I am still wondering if maybe I am allergic to my razor and gel. I tear all the time and the itching in almost everyday out of the blue it will itch so bad and I know I can't itch cause then I just tear and then bleed and then it just hurts more. I could really use some help, I just lost my insurance so I don't want to go running to the doctor, also I just was at the doctors and found out I have HPV could this have something to do with all the itching and tearing also?? Please help me I'm going crazy here!
Hi I've been dealing with this same problem also, for quite some time. It seems to be getting more frequent that I have fissures or cracks in the perineum area. I had always used witch hazel to heal up the fissures but that doesn't seem to work any more, in fact I'm wondering if I'm making the problem worse. I've been doing some research online and see that Drs. prescribe  topical corticosteroid ointment, also read about trying lanolin cream or hydrogenated vegetable oil, thought I'd give that a shot. The skin seems to be so thin and cracks very easily, I do experience burning sometimes during sex also. I also would appreciate any help on this matter.
omg i am so glad i am not the only one with this problem...recently i have had a fissure and it is soooo bad..i went to the drs nearly in tears asking for help..he gave me antibiotics and nystatin and triamcinolone cream  i have been on this cream over 5 days and no progress.  the fissure is at the top of the hood area and therefore cracks open again every time i sit down to pee or wash or get up from sitting on the floor..i switched to wearing boxer shorts all day and night and no help there..god does anyone have any helpful ideas?!!!!
jnw for one in that area I found it helps to keep it shaved
Here's a group I wish I wasn't a member of but I know exactly what your talking about. It feels like a razorblade when you do something a simple and gentle as wipe. I almost dread sex due to the pain an knowing it will result in new tears. I'm going to see a new GYN in 2 weeks I hope he can tell me something.
By the way- I've found that Desitin(for baby diaper rash) works good at coating so air and toilet tissue aren't so painful.
me again..been to the docs again he put me on 20days of keflex and gave me two different creams ..the first one a nystatin type cream didnt seem to help much but the second cream has helped tremendously..its called clobetasol propionate ointment .05%  this seems to have worked alot by using morning and night..wearing boxer shorts only and during the day keeping triple antibiotic ointment on the fissure..hope this helps..finally getting some relief myself!!!
I'm really not sure if I experienced the exact same thing, but the paper cut-like tear is something I experienced after childbirth (along with anal fissures). It hurt to urinate and it was only one cut - I can only imagine the pain with many. I called my ob thinking one of my stitches opened. I went in and a suture was removed because it was not dissolving and one of the nurses suggested dabbing Neosporin on it. She said it would help to heal as well as create a barrier to help lessen the pain when urinating. This particular thing worked for me. The cut (in the perinuem) healed and I have not had an issue since. The anal fissures, on the other hand, is something I am still dealing with.  I went to a gastroenterologist and she put me on antibiotics and Nitroglycerin ointment. This seems to be working, but slowly. I also had a colonoscopy and upper-GI/lower bowel series which impeded healing. The Nitroglycerin gives you a bit of a headache, but it is better than the alternative. I also take Colace daily and stay on a high fiber diet and drink a LOT of water. I hope this helps a little - I didn't realize so many others are suffering from similar issues. Best of luck to all of you.
Thank God I'm not the only one with this problem.  I've been trying to research this all day because after going to the doctor she thought it was herpes, but the results came back negative.  I had a tear almost probably about an 1/2 long right between my vagina and anus.   It burns sooo bad to wipe, pee, if I move and stretch the area in that skin.  It happens after sex with my boyfriend, probably because sometimes we are rough, and there isn't enough lubrication.  I have to wait a few days until it has healed to have sex again.  The doctor isn't much help, she was hell-bent on thinking it was herpes.  If anyone finds anything out, or what can be done to stop these awful tear, keep me informed! Thanks
I have had these vulvar paper cut tears for over a year.  It started the fall of 2002.  I didn
I experiance these same kind of lacerations.  The best treatment I have found is Balmex- a kind of skin protectant found in the pharmacy area with diaper rash items.  Other similar products containing zinc oxide were recommended by my doctor but cause intolerable itching.
I have been experiencing the same type of vaginal and anal fissures for a few months now and I was scared to death until I found this forum.Just like many of you, I went to the doctor about three weeks ago and the first thing she said also was Herpes.She took a blood test and a normal pap and I still haven't received any results yet.At first I was pretty sure it was going to end up being Herpes but when I read the first comment posted and it sounded identical to mine, that made me feel a lot better.Hopefully I will be getting some negative results for the Herpes and a more positive solution to this problem that we are all dealing with on a daily basis. If I find any new discoveries I will be sure to share with all of you. Good luck ladies!
I have similar issues-i'm 19 and am going to the doctors this coming tuesday and i'm afraid they may say its herpes-i thought it was a yeast infection-i just got off of antibiotics and then this yeast infection, or what i htink and hope is one, came around, and i know that can happen.  but then i have some cracks  in my skin down below and some reddness, i sometimes have gotten cracks before, and thought it was maybe from stretching the skin from sex or something.  after reading these post i researched a little more about cracks and what they could mean to ease my mind in hopes i dont' have herpes(which i dont htink i do because i dont have any blisters or anything like that, just itchy and reddness and the cracks-the discharge went away).  I found it could be vaginal atrophy-but can it happen at my age?  also it could be a severe case of a yeast infection or vulvitis.  I'm hoping its something like that and not herpes, i'm really really really scared and dont' know how to handle this all-any other advice?  other background info on me, i got done having mono for a long time this may, and then i had a bacterial infection and i got antibiotics for that-which caused this yeast infection, i hope.  Also, i got bit by a deer tick, but i dont think it was on long enough for lyme disease to be a factor.  i work outside in the heat for 9 hours a day, and swim as well.  I live in a swimsuit on the weekends and i'm always sweaty from exercising-what do you girls think?  thanks!
I am so relieved that there are others out there with the same problem. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what this skin irritation is. When I read the first post It was like someone was reading my mind. About 6 months ago I was at work and went to the bathroom and did my business when i wiped it hurt and burned so bad so I looked at the toilet paper and there was blood. I knew I wasn't on my period so I immediatly freaked and called my GP. I got an appointment the same day. He said it looked like some kindof skin fungus and gave me this cream:Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropoinate Cream. This made it go away. I went on with my daily business and it came back even worse. So I used the cream again and it went away after a couple of days. It came back two weeks later. Every time I use the cream it comes back two weeks later. So one day I couldn't even walk I was in so much pain. I called my doc to give me a referal to a Gyn. Well it was on a friday so they didn't get to it...Needless to say I went to a walkin clinic and they gave me the same cream as my GP and gave me this awful pills called FLAGIL. I went to the GYn a week later. She told me not to use the cream and to see if it heals on its own. She tested me for yeast and bacteria and all was negative. WHATEVER. I don't think she quite understands what this is all about. I used the cream two weeks ago and now it's back. My appointment is in a couple of days so I am going to try and hold off so she can see what I am talking about. I am also going to print out this forum so she can see all of you share the same problems. I was wondering if any of you have any other skin irritations on any other part of your body Other than your vaginal area?? I have the same irritation on my hand but not as bad as the vaginal area.
The cream does work it just comes back a couple of weeks later...I am going to try and get an anti fungal pill to see if that works...good luck to you all
I was wondering maybe we all have something in common, like something we do or have done that is causing this.
Breif history:
Army Reserves
2 cats
2 mini long hair dauschaunds
eat all natural foods and use natural products for hair and soap
married
water purification in home-Rain Soft
like to garden
25 yrs old
use Cheer detergent
had weird cracked scaly skin condition on my leg went to hand and now looks like it on my vaginal skin
remodling bathroom
excercise almost daily
Anyone else see any common issues...
I went to my gyn today...has anyone else had a skin biopsy done?
oh my god, i feel kind of relieved. i have had this fissure for about 3days now and it has been worrying me to death.  i have gotten on the internet and searched for information.  my regular doctor could not see me today so i had to go to a clinic because i was about to go out of mind. i have a cut just like the rest of you and my first thought was herpes, because that is how herpes can start off, like a cut. since i went to a health clinic i have to wait a week before my results will return.  i kind of feel at ease after reading others like me and thinking that it was herpes and you all found out that it was not. i do not sleep around, nor have i had many sex partners, so i am wondering how the hell did i get herpes. my boyfriend and i are always together, so i hope this man has not cheated on me and brought something back to me. he has no symptoms of herpes, nor does he have these fissures. however, i will take the advise of a someone who posted their comment, how their doctor prescriped clobetosol cream .5%. i actuall use clobestol on my eczema that is on my hands and fingers.  my hands get so dry at times that they do crack, so i put the clobetasol on it and it starts to heal in no time. so maybe it will work down there.  i have some relief......thanks all. please continue to post your comments and updates.
this comment is for oaj.  i just got off of an antibiotic and when i went to the clinic today, i did in fact to have a yeast infection, because of the antibiotics. i wonder if these fissures are related to some skin problems.  as mentioned before, i do have eczema and my skin does crack and hurts until i put on the clobetasol cream for a few days.
I was so relieved to find out that I'm not the only one!  All the same things are happening to me. Maybe we all have something in common, like birth control or something like that. I use the ortho evra patch, let's see, what else. KY warming gel,tampax compact tampons, skintaminte shave gel, intuition cucumber-melon razor/soap.  Maybe I have it all wrong or something, it could be something that just happens. I haven't been to the doctor for it yet. I just went for a bladder infection a couple weeks ago, but now that I think of it, this was going on durinig my bladder infection too. I just want to figure out how to get rid of it!
Ask your doctor to do a skin biopsy...I did one last thursday and I will find out the results in 2 weeks...hopefully. My GYN seems to think that nothing stumps her so hopefully we will solve this mysterious skin disorder. I was also thinking that we all have something in common. I take Kariva birth control. I did use KY Silky at one point in time. I have a cyst on my labia. I have cats and someone told me that cats can give people a skin disorder I forgot what it is called but it comes from their feces(gross) I guess you get it when changing cat litter. I give them advantage and I thought that maybe touching that stuff could cause something. I am getting these cracks on the top of my hands. It starts of as little scabs but I don't understand that becuse there are no cuts or anything for it to be scabbing. and then it cracks and looks like dry skin.  I use aveno shaving cream for sensitive skin becuase i also had this **** on my leg. I use Kiss My Face soap (natural soap)...cant really think of anything else except I started getting all of this when we got our water softner put in...maybe it was just a coincindence.
I also am having this problem! I thought I had cut myself shaving or was having a herpes outbreak (unfortunately, I do have mild herpes...yuck) but this is completely different than my rare herpes outbreak. So, for those of you afraid of having herpes, this is probably not it. My herpes outbreaks looks like real blisters and don't bleed, these are def. like paper cuts...so I'm thinking it's my toilet paper that is the problem. (???)

I initially had two small lacerations and now have about 10-12 that are slightly bleeding, all on my perineum. This started about 2 weeks ago when we switched toilet paper brands. Went from a softer brand to a tougher brand that's supposed to be more septic safe. As of today I am back on the soft stuff.

Just curious if anyone else has linked this to toilet tissue brand? The only other thing I can come up with is that I am perimenopausal and maybe my skin down there is getting thinner?

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm hopeful it's just the TP...
Nope...It's definitly not the TP...and no signs of being perimenopausal. I did a biopsy and hopefully I will find out on August 1st what this is and be able to tell all of yall.
I've also had the same problem, about a year ago I got a nasty yeast infection, and i was misdiagnose with herpes with out even been tested. This stupid doctor told me that she thought that I might have herpes, she gave me a list of clinics where I could go and get tested. I called every single one of them and they all answered the same thing " we can
As an FYI: Your doctor is incorrect. being able to insert the spatula/tampon is BY NO MEANS an accurate method of diangosing herpes. is she on crack????? It is possible to only experience herpes lesions on the external genitalia.
I cannot tell you how relieved I am tonight to have found this website! I'm 22 years old, and I have been having the exact same problem for a few years now! I had used the clobetasol initially. The intense itching around my anus and the papercut-type tears on my labia minora came back later and I asked my gynecologist for another prescription of the clobetasol...he wouldn't give it to me because he said that prolonged use causes thickening of the skin. He then prescribed Hydrocortisone 2% and told me that I most likely just had some contact dermatitis and told me to avoid detergents and soaps. The cream heals the cuts temporarily but causes a lot of soreness...the itching and fissures around my anus reappear within days. I haven't had the tears on my labia minora in the last few months...I used to get them right before my period. I have been on birth control (ortho tricyclen lo) for the past 4 months, and I think that is what has caused the changed. The tiny fissures around my anus and the itching inside of my rectum and around the anus are still occuring everyday and are absolutely AWFUL!! I haven't gone to my doctor about this for months because he'll just keep trying to convince me that its due to chemical irritants...I know better! Anyone had any luck yet figuring something out?
I have suffered from anal fissures for about 10 years.  I am 30 now.  Cream sometimes works but stool softeners work best and give the fissure time to heal.  I had to go into hospital for an operation on the fissure and was in and out in a day.  No problems for years after that.

I try to eat plenty of fibre and drinks lots of water - my downfall is that I don't get enough exercise but I am not overweight
Oh my gosh I have this too!  And my doctor is at a loss and dosent know what to do.  I can tell you this I dont have cats and live a crazy life so I dont think its any of that.  So cat lovers your safe.  Keep the litter box clean and hug your kittys.
Well that's a relief...Has your doctor done a biopsy on any of you? If so you would know. They stick you with a needle on your labia or where ever they see irritation and she had this instrument that was called a "hole punch" and punched a hole the size of an eraser in my labia and put the sample in a jar. She is sending to the lab and I will find out the results on August 1st. My doc said she doesn't want to prescribe me anything until she knows what exactly she's dealing with...Let me know if any of you have had a biopsy done PLEASE!!
I'm sorry each of you are feeling this pain too. I am sure you can relate to that feeling when sex is getting really good and then suddenly you gasp with pain because just by moving your legs a particular way he has stretched and split the skin again!! I would like to get to the cause here. I've had reoccuring bladder and yeast infections and now this strange paper cut problem. I use Canestan (might be english brand) which might be a cause. My perinium seems to be short, meaning my vagina and anus are quite close together. I don't want to be on creams for ten years because my fiance doesn't like cream in his mouth! Would very much enjoy getting to the bottom of this and believe we should keep talking to figure it out. HAS EVERYONE EXPERIENCED YEAST INFECTIONS? IS THIS A TRIGGER?
lots of love and happy healing.
everyone: i have the same problem. i am 24 years old. i have no cats, no history of herpes, no history of yeast infections and i use the soft, expensive kind of t.p.  i do have sex and i do wear thongs.  PLEASE let everyone know as soon as you find a solution. thank you.
It definately has something to do with yeast infections...    At first i got freaked out thinking it was herpes. A few docs examined me and all told me that it didn't look like herpes and told me that usually herpes wasn't itchy. I got a pap that came back negative as well as blood tests. For the past 3 months i had a yeast infection and didn't know it. I had one in april and used Canestin to get rid of it. I thought it was gone (because i no longer had ANY symptoms) and it turned out that it was still there the whole time... I got the tear during sex and now it just opens up all the time. My doc says that it should go away a few weeks after my infection is cured. So all of you should really check to see if it's a YI... I hope this helps a little...
Wow, You'd never imagine this would be such a common problem. My paper-cut like tears are on the "lips" and are itchy and annoying. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I'm hoping I can heal them before I go into labor for fear that my lips will rip into shreds during delivery. I suspect it could be irritation due to the intimate deoderant spray I've started using or maybe because I was recently on medication to cure poison ivy. I even thought for awhile that it was poison ivy. That would suck, huh?
  I'm trying a little of everything to help with the itch. No such luck yet. Did anyone else have swelling before the tears. I did. It started with an itch which I rubbed until it got swollen and when the swelling subsided I was left with these tears.
i am so freaked out. i have the same problem but like someone said above i also have the pea like lump on my labia. my gyno is hellbent on thinking it is herpes as well! i have to wait for a phone call from the clinic if my culture is positive. if i dont hear from them then i have to call by monday. i really dont want to hear its herpes. my partner didnt tell me he had it and i never saw anything on his penis(which i know doesnt mean he cant have it). it could have been spred by a cold sore but i dont recall him having anything like that either. i do have the tears as well as the bump, so i dont know what is going on with me. i want to know but i dont know what i will do if its herpes.
Hi there-I felt the same sense of relief reading everyone else's story.  And I think it is a great idea for us to try to find out what links us together.
I will just add my history to the list and hope it helps.
I have had recurrent yeast infections all of my life-since early childhood.  I am 24 years old and in 2002 I noticed bumps on the formerly smooth skin, just inside my vulva, toward the vaginal walls.  I went to the 8 different doctors about the issue.  5 of the 8 doctors thought I may have genital warts so they treated the warts (with a topical application of acid).  But each time the bumps would come back and be more irritated and raw.  
The last few doctors I saw decided it wasn't warts and can't finda  casuse for the bumps-but my major concerned changed.  I was no longer able to have intercourse because it was excruciating-this happened in 2003.  recently in 2005 my doctor noticed the fissures.  I can develop fissures with or without intercourse.  My Dr. also noticed that I have nodules of nerves-exposed and extremely sensitive-which may be causing some of the pain.

My doctor thought I may need to switch to a low-oxolate diet and gave me a steroidal cream to heal the immediate fissures.  The cream helped but I found the diet very confusing.  I find the best defense is avoiding sex.
I don' t know if you all are as frustrated as I am-but why don't they know more about what makes vagina's tick?

My history:
recurrent yeast infections
moderately sexually active
desk job-grad school
have one dog and cat
no STDs
itching, bumps and fissures for 3 years

I hope we can solve this mystery!

I honestly don't understand why your doctors' gave you some sort of acid to put on your vagina without even testing to see if it was really warts. Sometimes I really don't know what doctors are thinking. It doesn't have anything to do with yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. I know that for sure becuase when I went to the gyn the first time with this problem she tested me on the spot for both. She took a swab and went into the other room and looked under a microscope. It was neither. She told me not to use soap and not to wear underwear to bed and alot of other things that she thought could be the problem. Well it didn't help so when I went back the next time she did the biopsy. Anyway I am married and have had sex sporaticlly so I know it is not from sex. When I get the cuts I do not have sex until they are gone. And right now I am not experiencing them becuase I put the cream I've been using on. It works for two weeks then comes back like clockwork. But that at least gives me two weeks of relief. Like I said before on August 1st is my appointment and the results should be back by then so hopefully we can put this whole fissure problem to rest...but if they don't know then we're screwed!! I have the pea sized nodule right on left side of the opening of my vagina. She said it was a cyst...
Well, I have to say that I was extremely relieved after reading this forum.  I had never had vaginal tearing or fissures until about a month ago, and I ignored them.  They went away and came back worse about 2 weeks later.  I had been cleaning them with peroxide (OUCH!) and putting bacetracin ointment on them to try to heal them, which slightly worked. I was trying to write it off as the toilet paper, etc!  But then I became more and more worried, and began to research it and that's when I came across this website.  After reading everything I decided to go see my OBGYN.  He of course tested me for Herpes, and even though I had read everything that you have all been through, and knowing that none of your tests had come back positive, I was still nervous.  He also tested me for a yeast infection.  Well, right there on the spot he said I had a horrible yeast infection and wrote me a prescription for 2 Diflucan pills.  I was to take one (they stay in your system for 3 days) and then repeat 3 days later.  He also gave me a prescription for a topical cream.  I took the first pill, and applied the cream.  The itching became 100 times worse.  I kept putting on the cream until the itching became unbearable (2 days), and then I took my second Diflucan pill after three days.   A few days later I got the results of my Herpes test and I am happy to say that it came back negative.  And the best news is that my fissures are completely gone.  I've had no signs of them reappearing.  Back to normal and very happy!!  Just thought I'd share my story to hopefully help someone else out.  Good luck girls!!  

For those of you that were looking for a common link between all of us:  

I am 28
Serious Boyfriend
Sexually Active (not more than 2 times a week)
Desk Job
Work out
Have 1 cat (4 years old)
Live in somewhat humid climate

I was looking for something else (lichen sclerosis) and came upon you poor people - Just a suggestion, to take ZINC and Vit C, for tissue repair and has anyone thought about whether an imbalance in the pH or the vagina & area could be hindering repair or causing in the first place?  Good luck.
don't use hydrogen peroxide more than once, to clean out the cut!! it delays healing. use a triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin). it will kill bacteria and prevent scars. i had a cut that didn't heal and kept re-opening. (the cut was from rough sex--not a pre-existing condition, although I may have had a yeast infection at the time). it led to scarring. sex is painful, in that particular spot, and now i also have general irritation in the areas of friction. i used clobetasol propionate 0.05% for over a month to get rid of the scar tissue. but it thinned the skin, so then i had to use an estrogen cream to rebuild the tissue. this still hasn't solved the problem, and i've been dealing with this for a year. i'm 22. i've been to a few different gynocologists, and they all treated the problem the same way. i just got a new gyn though, and she says that those treatments are good, but there's also something else going on (most likely a yeast infection or some type of bacterial infection--I've already been cleared for all stds) that is causing irritation and preventing healing. she showed me with a mirror all the spots in my vagina that were red and irritated. her plan is to treat the yeast infection first and then to heal the tear. i'm supposed to continue to use the estrogen cream and then use a salve of essential rose oil on top. also if i want to have sex, to prevent irritation, i'm supposed to put some vitamin A and D ointment on the spot, as a barrier, and also use lubrication (astroglide is good, ky is no good because it drys out quickly) i cannot stress the importance of lube enough!! my gyn has had a lot of success with this treatment and hopes that in 6 weeks i should finally be healed. i'll post an update soon.

extra advice: if your gyn is not helping, get a new one!! ask other women and see who comes recommended. it's also nice to find a doctor who is open to incorporating herbal remedies into the treatment. western biomedicine tends to focus strictly on the part of the body that is sick. sometimes they miss the bigger picture. many doctors don't even bother to explain thoroughly what is happening. especially for this type of problem, a holistic approach is essential. good luck all!!
wow this all sounds so familiar!! :(
no gyno has ever figured this out. i have fissures that feel like paper cuts around my labia that hurt so much if they are touched and come when they want...ANYONE FOUND OUT WHAT THIS IS??
i do unfortunately have genital herps but don't break out.. and the gyno said that is not what it is but the idiots can't figure it out...
as many of you said:
i work out sometimes
wear thongs
have a stressful job
don't take birthcontrol
have boyfriend and casual sex
do have sensitive skin i guess

i noticed i definitely get it when there is rough sex... and becomes a yeast infection.. so i get it before and after a eyast infection and it makes the yeast infection much worse and painful
putting monestat cream and baby powder at the same time calms it down a bit temporarily (or the pain at least an itch)
i also get them sometimes before my period too!!
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF YOU FOUND AN ANSWER.. it is ridiculous that no gyno knows frmo seeing all these people with the same issue
let's hope for an answer or cure

oh, and it comes back also when i am very STRESSED out from work or over working my body (like working late, working out, not sleeping enough)
Hi, I too had this same problem or actually still have but not as severe as a couple of days ago. Wednsday of last week, I would feel the most agonizing pain each time I would urinate, as soon as the urine would come in contact with my tears I would  hold on tight to the sink which is next to my toilet and cry in pain, sometimes I would hold it until I couldn't anymore just because of the fear I felt to go urinate. When I finally couldn't take it anymore I got on the internet and came accross this website, I read a lot of comments most of which sounded like my story.  The next day I came to work as usual only that I was in horrible  pain and my jeans were making my problem worse by the second. As soon as I left work I stopped at Walgreens,and bought a non expensive ointment, which worked miracles on me. I applied it at night on the tears, I slept with no underware (loose shorts only) and in the morining I  showered and cleansed my tears as carefully as possible, then I applied more ointment, yes, I did feel sticky but believe me it beats having to feel that horrible sting each time I  urinate! Some how the ointment protects the urine no longer touches the tear, the ointment is kind of thick and sticks well to the skin it stayed the entiretime I was at work (8 hours), I am almost completely healed and I can now urinate like normal woman, no more tears!!! The name and brand of this ointment is Walgreens Vitamin A & D Ointment.  It's working for me. I  wish all of you luck and hope all of you heal as well.

P.S, I was  able to have a love session with my partner (figure from wednsday (horrible pain) and by saturday night (love session no pain) my partner was of course extra super gentle!
Hey everyone! I am sooo glad I am not the only one experiencing these tears/fissures. I have been getting them for about a year now and it is usually a few days before I have my period. It is also usually right after sexual activity. Sometimes I can have sex and not get them, and other times I do get them. I seem to have almost the exact same symptoms you all have, the itching, burning, irritation and of course the tears. This is like the most annoying thing ever. I go to the gyno every year to be able to stay on birth control. I haven't gone this year yet because I was afraid the Dr. was going to tell me I had herpes or something else crazy. I have had the same boyfriend for a year now that has now problems or symptoms of anything. We do not use condoms so you would think if it was something like herpes he would have it too. I usually use A and D ointment on the tears, but it doesnt seem to heal them as quickly as I would like. I would have to say the itchiness and the burning is worse that the actually tear. I usually only get one or two at the most and they are very small. I guess I'm going to try some of the creams you women have used to see if they help better than the A and D. Good luck to everyone, this problem really sucks:(
Just an update, 8 days later I am completely healed! And yes this problem really sucks =(, I wish good health to all woman with this condition.
I just wish we had a definitive answer as to why we're getting these annoying cuts.  I've read that people suffering from this were both positive and negative for Herpes.  I think it has something to do with hormones and/or vaginal flora.  It seemed like mine would show up around my period as well.  Lately, they've been giving me a lot of trouble and I've had major reoccurence of BV.  Still waiting for my retest on HSV-2.
I have been getting the same problem all you women have. It started about 2 months ago and I seriously thought it was herpes but got them swabbed and cultured and haven't heard anything back. I got these checked a month ago and I am assuming it's negative for herpes. So if anyone gets a diagnosis plz let me know it just sucks to get tears on your vagina. I don't want to be intimate  any more as I am scared to infect my partner for anything. Never had problems like this in the past.
Hi ladies.  I cannot believe that so many of us are having the same issue with no results!  I am 24 and have suffered from these vaginal tears and itching off and on for many years.  I have found that it comes at the same general time in my menstrual cycle... and it is definately NOT HERPES!  I have regular check ups and have never been diagnosed with herpes (even before I became sexually active!).  I too think that it has something to do with the vaginal flora and the yeast levels.  I am a certified herbalist and nutritionalist, and I am starting to think that the cause for all of this may be a systemic candida infection.  Candida albicans is the scientific name for yeast.  When it becomes systemic it can cause all kinds of problems.  Google it and you will find many holistic websites that list the many and varied symptoms.  It effects everyone differently, so it can be hard to diagnose.  This is also the reason why the mainstream medical community does not really recognize systemic candida infections as a real illness.  

We are all on some version of the standard american diet... over processed foods with too much refined sugar>> candida's best friend!  I am not sure if this is a definitive answer, but don't be surprised if your GYN blows it off.  Most of them will not accept this as an answer but I am going to look into it more... Unfortunately, curing systemic candida usually requires major diet changes and a strict herbal regimen.  I will post again with more info when I can.  Good lcuk to you all... keep the info coming!
I also have been getting these fissures for the past few months pretty regularly, with a few weeks/days of no symptoms. It first started when I had surgery and developed an infection and was then put on antibiotics, to clear it up. After taking the medication for a few days, I developed the worst yeast infection that was so sore and swollen. I also developed fissures that it was nearly impossible to use soap, because it burned so bad. After using an over the counter cream like  Monistate for 7 days it cleared for nearly a month, but after that I've had at least 4 others times, all with extremely painful fissure that seem to tear in the same spot. I have been to the doctors and I've had my vagina tested for yeast each time, which all have come up positive. But this most recent case that I have has no symptoms of itchiness or burning only fissures that are pretty much always in the same spot. only this time when I went to the Dr.s, my yeast test was negative.  I also have herpes simplex 1 which I've had for about 4 years and have only had 1 outbreak in that time. Out of fear of experiencing another outbreak, I take Valtrex daily which reduces and shortens the length of time if I was ever to get another.  my Dr. says that it doesn't look really like an out break at all, and it certainly doesn't feel like how I remembered it to feel like. No one knows what this is and why I keep feeling like this.  I have had sex like 5 times in the last 4 months, and I've noticed that I would have sex when I was feeling better and after 4 or 5 days, I would develop symptoms of a yeast infection. If Any one has any useful information or ways to help clear up my problem, that would be much appreciated.
I feel like I could have typed the original comment verbatim to explain my symptoms.

My doctor recently diagnosed me with interstitial cystitis, which he claims is the cause of all my problems.  I know for a fact that it isn't.

Years ago, I developed a yeast infection after taking antibiotics, which was followed by the first time I got these horrible cuts.  I was tested and told that it came up positive for HSV 1 and so that's what caused the cuts, not the horrible yeast infection.

Periodically throughout the years I would get a bout of these cuts and think I was having an outbreak.

Well, for the last 10 months straight, I have had the cuts for at least one week out of the month if not longer.  The first two months I believed I was having a yeast infection because I was on antibiotics.

I always get them the week before my period, coupled with intense itching and burning.  One of them appears and clears up within a day or so, only to be followed by more.  They are usually in the creases of the labia, above the clitoral hood, and on the perineum.  They have begun showing up every time I have sex now.

My doctor refuses to listen to my symptoms, and continues to blame herpes and interstitial cystitis, even after the herpes culture he took came back negative.

I went to his office last week in tears, bringing information about recurrent yeast infections and an extreme sensitivity to yeast which perfectly described what has been happening to me.  He told me that he would (reluctantly) test me for yeast next time I went in.

I go in tomorrow and I made sure to have sex yesterday in order to bring on the symptoms.  I am extremely nervous that he won't find any type of infection and will continue to dismiss my concerns.  I can't live like this forever.

How many of you have been tested for yeast?  Is it usually positive?  I have read that often times this is caused by another strain of yeast that doesn't show up on the typical test.

If my tests come back negative and he refuses to help me, I am definitely going to see another doctor.  I hate being treated like a crazy person.
Ugh...I hate it when you write this big long post and then you lose it!  so...here's my thoughts in a nutshell:

With thoughts to yeast:  I have heard there is a strain of yeast that doesn't typically respond to typical treatments.  Also, it can be passed back and forth according to what I've read, so it might help to have your partner treated as well.

Freya-Faery...I think you're on to something and agree with you!

to the last two posters:  Is your HSV-1 gential (genital) or oral...just curious if you knew for sure as genital HSV-1 is not as common.

As for me:

* have had cuts in my vaginal folds for years...didn't bother me much until the last few years

*placed IUD after 2nd child (may 2004) and took it out (aug 2006) due to recurrent Group B strep problems

*took blood test for HSV 1 and 2.  Results came back positive for both,but with a result for 2 that could be false.  

* had culture done on cut (it was negative)

*did have an overgrowth of bacteria when I got the herpes culture done...am currently treating the bacteria with Clindamax (gosh, I hate this stuff!!)

* waiting for results of the confirmatory HSV-2 test.

* have been taking Valtrex since June 13 and it seems to be helping, but have gotten a few cuts that have healed quickly since I started the treatment.

BUT, even if I am + for 2, I'm not really convinced that's what's causing the tears.  After all, how often have you read that someone had an outbreak for 2 months straight??

Will keep you posted.  Find it amazing how similar all of our symptoms are yet nobody can tell us what the problem is.

I actually don't know if my HSV1 is genital or oral.  I was tested years ago and don't remember if it was a blood test or a culture.  If it was a culture, then genital, obviously.

But you're right; who has ever heard about months long outbreaks that return negative cultures?  Additionally, cuts often appear hours after sexual intercourse.  I'm not sure that the virus could activate that quickly.

And from what I've read, HSV-1 of the genitals rarely causes break-outs beyond the initial one, if it ever does at all.

I'm frustrated, and worried about tomorrow's appointment where he will do another test for bacterial and fungal infections.

I don't want to live with this for years and I hate putting my boyfriend through this.

Have any of you had symptoms that just went away over time?

Also, what is the false positive rate for herpes cultures, if it exists at all?  I'm going to be very upset if I have lived for years thinking that I had this when I didn't.
I would go ahead and get a Herpes Select IGg test done for 1 and 2, just to rule it out (or in as the case may be.)  After my initial devastation...granted I'm still waiting for the confirmatory test results...I've found this site to be very helpful and have resigned myself to the fact that I may have it.  More importantly, the diagnosis could be worse.  At least this won't kill me.  Not to mention, I potentially  have an answer as to why its happening.  Still have some unanswered questions, but if that's what it is and Valtrex will keep it at bay, then all is good.  

I'm not sure what the rates are for false positives when using the Herpes Select Blood Test.  I just know that if you are positive for one and your results for two are between 1.1 and under 3.5, then it's probably wise to get a confirmatory test unless you have obvious Herpes lesions (when I say obvious, I mean the blister looking ones)  
I have been researching an itching problem i have and came accross something called dermatitis which is the same exact symptoms and is caused by an allergy to almost anything. so research it dermatitis i hope it helps
I started experiencing the tears on my perineum after my first yeast infection about a year ago. The yeast infection was not itchy nor did i have any discharge, but I had a HORRID painful rash all over my perineum, and 3 tears opened up during that time. It was treated as a yeast infection with Diflucan and went away. I was fine for a while but then the tears started coming back. I notice that they tend to happen near my period(more moisture?) or after/during sex. I use NuvaRing, which causes a light discharge during the month for me. My Gyno, who I love, told me that the tears we fairly common in women, and that if it didn't heal with antibiotic ointment, or if they got worse, she could put me on a steroid cream to help the skin stretch a little more. She also said that would be a last resort for her. I am very prone to bacterial and fungal infections, and it has to to with my body chemistry/ph(prediabetic/hypoglycemic). My mother who is Type 2 Diabetic, experinced these tears along with yeast infections and athletes foot infections all through her 30's and 40's until her diabetes was diagnosed and she got her levels under control.

I honestly find it rediculous that the modern medical community, which treats the majority of women's reproductive health problems as shameful, has no flipping idea what causes these tears or how to really treat them. Seriously, how many of you felt the stigma attached to the possiblity that your doctor thought you might have herpes? How many of you knew they were wrong and they wouldn't take your concerns seriously. It makes me so angry.

I just want effective unbiased medical help. In a way the empowers me to help my body heal.
I went to the doctor Tuesday, but he was unable to see me due to another woman going into labor.

I did, however, see his amazing nurse to receive my IC treatment.  She took a look at the tears, and compared them to a dotted line.  I noticed that she was correct.  The skin seems to make many tiny holes that form a sort of dotted line.  

She said I was one of the "mystery cases" and that she would alert the doctor about what she saw.

He called in and prescribed a steroid cream which healed the tear above my clitoris almost immediately.  It has since returned with a vengeance, and severe itching.

Sageeyes, I am with you on just wanting unbiased medical help.  I want a doctor to actually listen to my symptoms and how I am feeling and not assume that it's the most common problem he can think of.  Typical treatments (for infections and herpes) are not helping me.
Well I have another tear on my vagina...just went to the bathroom and hurt myself wiping...took a mirror to have a look and there it was again. Last tear I had was like over a week ago...getting sick of it already. Even though the last time I had any intimacy was way back in April and I know this can't be from any sexual activity. I am now keeping a log on when these tears appear and will show them to my doctor. I know it can't be herpes...herpes ob don't come every week from what I've researched. I wish someone had an answer to our dilemma, but I guess only tests and more test will tell.
I am so glad to have come across this forum! I have been experiencing the same pain from tiny tears along my perineum for almost a week now.  I have been driving myself crazy thinking that it is herpes, although I have no visable blisters or pus.  LIke many of you, I am close to having my period and this did occur within a day after having rough sex without much lubrication. The pain is mostly only present when I touch it or wipe, it has been accompained by some itching and a burning sensation when urine hits it. In the past I have had a itchy fissure around my anus, as well as a tear on my clitoris. I have been tested for herpes in the past, which came back negative, although since that time I have been sexually active with someone who has herpes (although we always used condoms). I will still get another herpes test in hopes of ruling that out, but it is very comforting to read that so many of you have experinced the same thing and do not have herpes! I think it is too much of a coincidence that this happened to me after unlubricated sex (with a fairly new partner who has a larger than average penis), and am thinking it may be either a sex injury or a yeast infection. However, I have never had a yeast infection, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have finally found relief from the pain after applying tea tree oil to the affected area.
My situation is crazy and completely hopeless to say the least
October /Nov -06-is when I started feeling this hot uncomfortable tingling sensation under the clitoral hood-Dec started having watery discharge,Jan -started having weird pain sensation on my butt and left thigh along with all other issues- negative on herpes ,std, candida, gonoreah etc,  Feb-skin around the labia gor sensitive-the clitoral hood started cracking -had a fissure in my anus- doctors siad everything looked normal (they were on dope), March- bleeding in the vaginal area when I to poop!, April -they found ecoli bacteria both front and back- took antibiotics/also got ultra sound and they found small firoids-but doctors told me the placment of these couldn't be causing the problem,-May- thigh pain worsened so went for accupunture-clitoral sensitivity remained the same-one other doc said it could endometriosis-June-nothing changed -JULY- the tears in the clitoral hood are causing extreme itching, the skin in my anal area are sensitive -there is a obvious skin issue-along with other 100 problems- No. of doctors visited to date 9.
One of the things  I think there is something going on under the hood or deep inside that is putting pressure on other organs causing these infections. It could be a scar tissue that is adhering itself and making other areas to infect and cause these skin erruptions. I am no doctor but doens;t look like a doctor also is able to figure this one out.
One big help would be from whoever is reading this- can you please give me names of good gynocologists in the new york area whom you have gone to and can recommend.
thank you -wish you all a speedy recovery- this too shall pass
October /Nov -06-is when I started feeling this hot uncomfortable tingling sensation under the clitoral hood-Dec started having watery discharge,Jan -started having weird pain sensation on my butt and left thigh along with all other issues- negative on herpes ,std, candida, gonoreah etc,  Feb-skin around the labia got sensitive-the clitoral hood started cracking -had a fissure in my anus- doctors said everything looked normal (they were on dope), March- bleeding in the vaginal area when I to poop!, April -they found ecoli bacteria both front and back- took antibiotics/also got ultra sound and they found small fibroids-but doctors told me the placement of these couldn't be causing the problem,-May- thigh pain worsened so went for accupunture-clitoral sensitivity remained the same-one other doc said it could endometriosis-June-nothing changed -JULY- the tears in the clitoral hood are causing extreme itching, the skin in my anal area are sensitive -there is a obvious skin issue-along with other 100 problems- No. of doctors visited todate- 9.
I think there is something going on under the hood or deep inside that is putting pressure on other organs causing these infections. It could be a scar tissue that is adhering itself and making other areas to infect and cause these skin erruptions. I am no doctor but doesn't look like even a doctor also is able to figure this one out.
One big help would be, from whoever is reading this- can you please give me names of good gynocologists in the new york area whom you have gone to and can recommend.
I recently (10 days ago) got this problem. It started as a yeast infection I thought then the second day it all started swelling, my inner lips swelled to the size of my thumbs.  I went to the ER because i head laid in bed for 9 hours with an ice pack that did not help.  At the ER they said it was a yeast infection gave me an anti inflamatory injection, a precription for a steroid (methoprednosone) and Dyflucan.
Two days later the swelling was gone but the itch and pain were still killing me.  I called my gyn and he sent another Dyflucan.  I took that and finished the steroid pack and everything seemed to be getting better.
Two days after the steriods were gone it was back with more cracks, splits fissures. So I went to my gyn and he instantly said Herpes did a test for it and I am waiting for those results (scared to death).

That is how found this forum (THANK GOD FOR HOPE).

I have read all through these and think the common factor my be fake estrogen.
Some in birth control pills or patches mine is hormone replacement from hysterectomy,. and I am 34

however I do agree that keeping it shaved or short helps the pain not be so bad, also I am using baby wipes and A&D ointmentabout every 2 -3 hours and it is helping to keep the pain and itch at bay.

Best of luck .... to all of us.
I wonder if it could be cystosis or Candida.  I'm currently traveling in Japan--I just arrived here when the symptoms appeared for the first time--at the same time as my period, and these were recommended by a doctor I saw here.  I am currently using a Bayer topical cream to relieve itchiness.  She also prescribed antibiotics for three days in case it is cystosis (while she explained itching would worsen if it is Candida probably).

I have also have varying issues with dry skin (some friends suggest it might be a mild form of eczema) especially on my hands (resulting in tiny bumps or cracks, especially with seasonal/weather changes or stress).

I live in a humid climate, and sporadically wear underwear, microfiber and cotton...now switching to cotton with this onset.

I use a large variety of toilet paper while traveling, but I worry if water or food infections could be the case.  I have had a varied diet, but remarkably very non-Americanized high sugar diet (rather, much fresh food, asian food, etc.).

I have taken Alesse and Ortho-Lo, but not currently taking either.

I have had an ovarian cyst removed as well as ulcer problems before (five and three years ago, respectively).

Some casual but safe sex, but very little as of recent (last two attempts have been quite painful)..those were the first in a few months.  Before that, rarely would I experience any pains with any sex.  I have also cleared STD tests as of one month ago.

It definitely appears to be hormonal, as it seems to correspond with ladies' periods (either just before/after or during).

Here are my questions:
I think it is something yeast related, but what foods in particular should we avoid to test this theory?

Has anyone experienced some diarrhea with this, too?  I am in the third or fourth day of extreme symptoms, but diarrhea has just started.  It is actually so much better as I don't have to secrete as much urine this way, I admittedly think.

I will try to get some A+D Ointment asap.

Also, would everyone try to remember to check back in, because I'm really curious how the '05 cases are these days.  Thanks, gals!
Hey there ladies, one more thing:

Please, check out this link....notice how it also makes the connection with yeast levels, estrogen (especially for BC-users) levels, cuts on the skin elsewhere and diabetes concerns (both of which I've seen mentioned a bit), problems with infection of cuts near vagina area, and wearing wet clothes (a classic culprit, which I had not mentioned, but I have been doing more lately).

http://www.medhelp.org/Medical-Dictionary/Terms/1/001511.htm

I have already been upping my dose of yogurt and I will begin forcing myself to enjoy cranberry (without added sweeteners) juice.

I read somewhere about applying yogurt directly to the infected area.  Does anyone know about this?  
hey, thank god i'm not the only one, but i have a bit of advice for all of you to try. i'm only 18 and a bit embarrassed to go to the doctor, but the best thing i have found so far is to stay on large doses of a b vitamin complex. i also get these tears in the corners of my mouth, the corners of me eyes... pretty much anywhere the skin is soft and moist. but when i stay on vitamin b pills, i rarely have problems with the tears. if i skip them for a few days, they are back in full and i am miserable. another thing i have found to alleviate the pain when you have them is neosporin lip treatment, like i said, i've never been to the doctor so i don't know if this is good to use or not, but it provides a lot more relief than neosporin or anything else like that along with a cooling sensation, it's meant for cracked lips so i put two and two together and gave it a try in a moment of desperation. if i combine a lrage dose of vitamin b (not any type in particular, just something that has all the b vitamins together) with the lip treatment, they are gone overnight sometimes.

well, i hope this helps all of you, i feel your pain!
For more information about Candida, check out   ---it's great to think that the varying symptoms are just that--varying--but all still symptoms of the same, very real, problem!  

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Here's an update on myself: I just came back from the doctor this morning. She took one look at me and said "This is definelty not herpes, it's probably yeast."  I asked if fissures were a symptom of a yeast infection, and she said that yes, it is common. I did in fact test positive for a yeast infection, and she gave me a pill and some topical cream to apply. In additon, I am eating lots of yogurt and am about to go to the store and get some cranberry juice! In answer to your question conlapaz, I do know several people who have applied plain yogurt directly to the area when having a yeast infection.

Nonetheless, this was quite a scare!! I hope everything works out well for the rest of you girls too!

HI guys!
I am new to this,but really glad I found it!
I actually was diagnosed with Herpes in August of 2005.But about a year and a couple months ago I begin getting these cut and tears in the vaginal area.Three doctors have told me they are NOT symptoms from HSV.....I have been prescribed Estrace, Cream for Eczema,steroid cream and just today I was tols it was simply a severe yeast infection. I am thionking it is probaly not,but I guess I will try anything at this point!!
The Estrace cream helped me for about3 months but then my Dr.would not prescribe me anymore (i guess maybe b/c of side effects)???
Has anyone found a solution to this crazyness????!!! I will let youknow if the Yeast infection Rx works.......Can you have cuts and tears from Yeast??!!!
Thanks for your help!!!!
MUST READ
check out this link ladies. I just found it

It explains why and maybe clues us into prevention and treatment
Good luck.

Here it is ladies sorry.
I have this same problem, though "luckily" it's only affecting the clitoral hood area and not my perineum. I just got off the phone with a nurse-midwife and she said that it's a common problem with women who are exclusively breastfeeding because of the lack of estrogen in their systems. So it's a hormone issue. Low estrogen levels, ladies. The link that lil2blunt provided corresponds with everything my nurse-midwife just told me.
Thank goodness for this forum or I would be freaking out still. I'm having the same problem right now too. I've been cleared of herpes and all your other run of the mill STDs. Mine started after wearing tight pants on a hot day. I had swelling that night, but had sex anyway because it wasn't painful. The next day the swelling was worse and I noticed micro tears which itched and burned. I had the tears before after rough sex but they went away after 2-3 days. These haven't gone away. I also noticed that my vaginal discharge has changed from the usual, its now clear and thin and smells like yeast. I have a feeling this is related to the yeast infection. I recently switched birth control pills and I'm on antibiotics, so this is probably the cause of the yeast. I'm trying to use Monistat, but the external cream burns! I just started using Neosporin on the tears, which are above the clitoris, on the perinium, and between the inner and outer labia. It ended the pain and itching. But I want to know what to do from here, I'm going to try a change in diet, start taking vitamins, and try to follow these tips I found:  http://www.colposcopy.com/vulv-sk.html.
http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/resources/show_res.cfm?ID=42286

Hopefully it works this time.
My doc today doubled my estrogen and gave me estrogen cream.
After one day of it it is already healing.
I will let you all know how it goes
Also here are some other more common signs of low estrogen

Sign and Symptoms of Low Estrogen Levels:
Rapid pulse rate
Bloating
Fatigue that worsens during the day
Constant fatigue, lethargy and fatigue on light exertion.
Short-term memory failure
Poor Memory
Hot flashes
Joint pain, swelling and stiffness
Decreased Sex Drive
Depression
Headaches
Osteoarthritis
Low Back Pain
Dry skin
Vaginal Dryness
Recent unexplained weight gain
                Balding or hair not growing

OMG!! i am so relieved i could cry.. but have done enough of that already!! the stories i have read are me to a T... i have had issues with recurrent yeast infections since i was about 13.. i am now in my 40's.. i feel like i just delivered a 20 lb baby.. the pain is awful.. i am amazed and dumbfounded that no medical professional can figure out a concrete reason or treatment for so many women.. i am wonderinf if anyone else has lessions that are so big the skin looks like it would if a blister had been there.. oodles of small lessions too, but the large ones are really freaking me out.. any ideas?? am on my way to the store now to pick up a and d, triple antiboitic cream and balmex.. surely one of those will allow me to urinate with out feeling like i am going to split in two!! also for what it is worth.. i can not use soft toilet paper.. like charmin.. it feels seems like it leaves fibbers behind that set off a yeast infection every time.. i found angel soft from walmart works the best and dab.. dont wipe!!!!!! :) my doc did say i too am perimenopausal, and this is common due to vaginal dryness that comes hand in hand with that.. that being said, know the cause is not a cure.. so keep writing ladies.. we may be the best source for a solution with each other!!
ps... just thinking.. i am italian, have thalesemia minor?? anyone else?? i know this causes your tissue to not stretch like normal and is an issue when bearing a child.. wondering if anyone else has this issue?? anemic?? comes hand in hand always with being thalesemic/or having the trait i believe...
have your doc give you a blood test to check your estrogen level,

mine just upped my estrogen dosage and gave me vaginal estrogen, I've been using it for 2 days now and my symptoms are almost gone (cuts swelling itching burning)

Especially being premen. this is from lack of estrogen.

Like I said 2 days and it is almost gone.

Also if you start eating a quart of PLAIN yogurt (you can add sugar) a week your yeast infections should slow down alot.  You can also mix plain yogurt with distilled water (half and half) and douch with it. Yogurt has the same natural cleansing bacteria as our vaginas do so it helps restore healthy discharge.

and just one more thing..for a full body nutralizing or cleansing drink a glass of dill pickle juice once a week.after the first time you do this you will be hooked the next day and every one after you will just feel amazing.  The vinagar is a natural nutralizer/cleanser and dill is a natural healing herb.
Just as a warning though do this when you will be home for the night the first time you do it you will get really really thirsty (drink water) the you will probably have cramps and diareha and then you will pee ALOT.  The next day you will be happier and more energetic and just AMAZING.
IT IS WORTH IT BELIEVE ME.
It is a super body toxin remover.

Good luck

i read somewhere that the yogurt douching is actually the worst thing.. that it can make it worse.. so now i am confused.. i know years ago they said yogurt was a good idea...but you know as times change, they seem to know what is bad for us as woman but not so much what will help.. i did buy some balmex.. it helped at first, but now seems to be setting of a yeast infection.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. my boyfriend bought me some monostat cool wipes (he felt so bad about this!!) and they help a bit.. so thank you for the input.. i will find out abut estrogen.. am not on anything yet.. but guessing maybe it is time!!  hmmm pickle juice... i will try it!!!! will let you know.. :) have a great day...
Just an update
Day 3 and all fissures are gone ad no burning and very little itching left.
I will keep you all informed but estrogen is DEFINATLY THE ANSWER.
wondering if you have been intimate yet.. wierd question, but now i am deathly afraid to heal and try again.. :( any suggestions for a good lube?? ky is not a good choice for me..  thanks
WOW!  It's such a relief to feel like I'm not alone with this condition.  The first time I felt pain/discomfort when I used the restroom and misdiagnosed myself with a yeast infection.  I made the painful mistake of using the one day treatment for yeast which is really strong and it irritated what I later learned were tears from rough/dry sex.  The reaction became really painful and I ended up going to ER and was told that I most likely had herpes and was put on a anti-viral medication.  I talked with my boy friend about it who was very sure he didn't have herpes and sure enough all std tests came back negative and I had a UTI.  The pain with urination came again with all the same symptoms as before so I went to the doctor again today and this time around I don't have a UTI just a couple tears that are about 2/3 of an inch long.  My doctor told me to avoid wearing pants and wear skirts as much as possible and to use hydro cortisone cream.  I read above that clobetesal propionate also helps which is convenient as I use it already for psoriasis (a skin condition)  Thanks to all who have contributed I feel so relieved after reading other accounts.
Clobetesal is AMAZING!  While I still don't know the origin of these cuts, that ointment has healed them within a matter of days.  I am continuing to use it on the areas even though there are no open wounds which I am hoping will help them from occurring again.

I'd love to know the cause of this problem, but I'm happy now to have treatment.

Intercourse lately has resulted in no new tears.
No, no intercourse yet my husband is a truck driver.
BUT with all the extra estrogen and him being home this weekend and my being all healed up I will definatly let you know by Monday. HAHAHA
Try AstroGlide for lube but if you are healed up and it has been as long for you as it has me you may not need it.
Also if you are using estrogen cream as I am it is much faster to work if you use it on the outside rather than the inside.put it a little thicker where the cuts are.  Estrogen is what promotes new skin cell growth in women.
Good luck all.
someone on here said something about the common factor being fake estrogen, I think that seems to be likely. Mine didn't start until after my miscarriage a few months ago, I've been on all kinds of hormone altering medications, several differnent types of birth control, and I've had so many hormone related problems, the tears and fissures is the most recent and most annoying. I'm recently married and I hate telling my husband we can't have sex! I've been tested for everything under the sun and the only thing that has come back positive is a bacterial infection, but that has been treated and gone away so I don't think it had anything to do with the tears. The doctors keep telling me its because I'm not lubricated enough, but that really doesn't seem to matter, I get them no matter how much lubrication we use. It's so frustrating!
all.. k maybe it is a back lash of hormone use? birthcontol side effect of long term?? i had a tubal pregnancy rupture and was on birthcontrol for years?? everyone have that connection?? what about tampons? do we all use them? are we all guilty of using them even off our periods on occasion?? i use tampax solely, have for years?? anyone finding a corolation???? i know i am reaching here.. but want to figure it out so we can all be healthy and happy and live our lives normally!! :)  i did switch to vagi gard.. that seems to be working the best.. no hormones yet.. so that and estroven is what the pharmasist recommended! i am trying it for now along with the other suggestions!!

thanks all.. lil2blunt, have a GREAT WEEKEND!! :)
Hi ladies,

I have been having the same problem, am on to dr no#4 and still no answers, its driving me crazy!!! Is there any feedback on how the Estrogen went after the 1st week? As every other solution I have tried so far seems to work temporarily then come back 10 fold. I to have has reoccurring yeast infections and a recent bladder infection, which the doc diaged as PID.. but then these tears showed up and I am not so sure thats all there was to it. Would love some feedback on estorgen therapy. Any help? I cant go on with this.
The estrogen helps to heal the 'cuts' but the itching and only go away with steriods.  (So far any way).  The cuts were half gone the first day I used the estrogen cream and completly gone tha second day. The day you start the steroids the itching swelling and burning stops but as soon as you are done with the steroids it comes back.  But they both work great as a TEMPORARY fix.
But have no fear ladies I wont stop or slow down til the real CURE and cause are known.
I dont think any person should think about their crotch this much and I am NOT going to do this the rest of my life.

Thanks!
Great GENTLE sex (smallest amount of friction possible(I was scared)) lots of lube.
One new cut this morning but my steroids are gone as of yesterday and that might be why, so good luck.
Please copy and paste this link and read it very import info for all of us.
I am hoping that everyone read the info here. this is half the battle know the cause.
I'm 23 and have been having this same problem for at least 6 months...intense itching, burning, pain, and tears on my labia and perineum.  I was tested for yeast and it came back positive.  I've had an IUD in for about 2 years and sometimes have heavy discharge.  My GYN told me that the heavy discharge is because it all builds up around the IUD strings and then gets discharged all at once (I know...lovely).  I have noticed, however, that the pain that comes with the fissures gets worse if I'm having heavy discharge.  My GYN is stumped (as it seems all of yours are as well).  I'm wondering if the PH level in my vagina is off...  I also have skin problems in other areas of my body.  Perhaps instead of seeing a GYN, we need to see a dermatologist??????

I've read every post in this thread and can't seem to find any one thing that we all have in common...
I have all the same problems as the original poster, also neg for HSV and yeast.  I did stumble across a treatment that works miracles when nothing else would do anything  to ease the symptoms or speed the healing.  

You might not believe what it is, but its Honey.  Raw, uncooked honey.  

I had recently read an article talking about the amazing properties of honey - how its been used since the days of the Egyptians to treat burns and skin infections of all types - and how modern day medicine is rediscovering its inherent anti-biotic, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties - they are even finding it works against skin infections of antibiotic resistant staff! So I figures, what the hell - Ill try it on my weird skin thing.

Anyway- for me, It has an instant calming effect on the sores, and clears them up within two days.  Maybe it will help some of you ladies here.  Best of luck.
I'de be very interested to know how you fair up long term on the A and D cream, but am glad you have found relief, hopefully for good. I am 52 now and first developed a tear on my perineum 18 years ago shortly after childbirth, I have had problems with it ever since and now it is many as well as around my anus. I don't have swelling or lumps or puss or any other symptoms.The itching and pain is shocking. I have been put on eostrogen cream and tried cortisone creams to no avail, once you stop it's back again. I have tried 3 or 4 Drs. but like the rest of you they wouldn't have a clue. It would be my bet that there is and has been little or no research done in this area, which is wrong as it is potentially physically, emotionally and marriage destroying. I was told by one Dr. to take baths with vinager as it is healing, I haven't done this one yet but will do. What about salty water, just a thought! I am currently applying Tea Tree oil, it stings a tiny bit but is mostly warm for a while. It hasn't been recommended to me, it's just self decided last resort, so ask your Dr. first! I have only been doing it for about 5 days, it's a little relieving but not healed by a long shot. One thing that might help those that aren't aware of it, soap has skin irritants in it, and you should never use them down there as much as you should never use them on your face! Two such ingredients are... Propylene Glycol and Sodium Laurel Sulphate (please excuse spelling if wrong), these are dangerous chemicals and they get into your organs too. Google them, it's an eye opener! They are also in shampoo which will irritate down there as it runs off in the shower. I have found safe products from NU SKIN/PHARMANEX they are truely beautiful! you can get products from your health food store as well, just read the ingredients. I am in Australia so your store may be called something else. I wish you dear ladies well, keep in touch and God bless.
What I find works:
A and D ointment was pretty good.  It really helped towards the pain of peeing and I think it quickened the healing time.

I have used Johnson and Johnson baby lotion (try the original plain plain formula, with no vitamins or anything added)...it helps the pain of walking and just getting around.  I also used the baby powder in the morning to help some of the excessive moisture (I am also in a very humid climate).  I switched to the baby lotion and powder because I didn't have other meds available, but they really expedited healing.

Also, I have had the great privilege of having handheld showerheads during this.  They are amazing.  They really allow me to clean thoroughly and to target precisely.  I really encourage them--especially if you are on your period during this.

While on my period, I had to stop using tampons and just use pads.  I was reluctant, but I needed the change and I am glad I did it.  I kept changing them, and I think I would consider sleeping with nothing, though, at night.  Since I have been traveling for the past months, I haven't had the opportunity, though.

I ate 1-2 yogurts a day to relieve itching.  I also tried to avoid those starchy and sugary foods (which encompasses so much!) that exacerbate the itching.

BEST THING:
Drinking water.  I am swearing by this one. I think I averaged about 2-3 liters a day during the height of everything.  At first I was a bit reluctant, because water, of course, equates to peeing more.  However, I think it really dilutes the urine so the first millisecond may have a bit of pain, but as you can shift to a side, it really is much much better than when I was drinking moderate amounts.  I also think it flushes any bacteria out.

Maybe a reason why?

I am sticking with those who see the estrogen/hormone connections.  Periods/birthcontrols/premenopausal....common connection is estrogen.  

I also wonder how much the true problem could be with the cuts (or in some cases, blisters), and then then there are varieties of yeast infections and UTI that accompany the cuts which can be easily infected.

For me, I also am really thinking this is connected to the HPV and herpes sector more and more, which I had tested positive for once, and then negative for once (after the initial test).  A partner a couple of years ago expressed concern for having herpes from oral-genital sex (a big reminder for those who may be virgins for intercourse, but otherwise engaging in sex), but he and I had both tested negative many times.  However, I have realized these slight bumps I would rarely get (maybe one bump every three or four months, along underwear between legs) is what turned into blisters this past week during the commotion.  

So for me, yes, I am beginning to really think it probably is herpes, as it is just too difficult to rule it out,even if doctors do.  Like I said, it seems to have been dormant for just a very, very long time in me, I think.  Also, I have had varying test results.  Either way, I am so grateful for a chance to share stories, symptoms, realities, and potential solutions.

I am eager to continue hearing different remedies for the symptoms.  Thanks gals.
hey guys.. me again.. well i am on day 7.. have tried almost every suggestion on here.. am now down to just tissue paper wet with water to cool and clean now and again.. i do wonder about something.. the last post talked about herpes.. i actually was told about 10 years ago, i had it.. then two years later told no, the tests were negative.. now i do suffer from canker sores in my mouth with any kind of injury, like potato chips are out for me!! if i bite my lip, i can bet a canker sore.. so, i cant help but wonder if she had a point.. maybe it is a TYPE of herpes that is being mis diagnosed???  what about chicken pox as kids ladies?? arent they in the same family as the herpes virus?? i am 99% sure they are (ok, i just looked on line and they are!!).. i had them really severly as a kid.. eyes bandaged shut the whole deal.. come on.. lets keep throwing it out there.. maybe we can find our own resolution.. i know i want to.. i do not want to live with this for the next 40 years.. (god willing!!) i am divorced, finally met someone i really enjoy and do not want this to be on ongoing issue.. really would like to find a sloution here.. so how bout it.. anyone else have chicken pox severly?? how bout canker sores..  keep the posts coming ladies.. we may not be smarter then a fifth grader, but we know our bodies!!! :)
I am thinking the canker sore world is more likely.  I never had a severe chicken pox outbreak, but it might be related.  The canker sores are regularly linked with a strain of herpes.  To be more explicit about how my former partner thought he contracted genital herpes (but again, we both tested negative after the fact):

He had had some bizarre feeling in his lips after eating dinner.  He thought it was a reaction/sensitivity to the metal, and didn't think too much of it.  However, we suspected that after he and I had kissed (therefore what was possibly type-1) orally, I then could have passed them orally to his genitals without realizing it whatsoever.

At any rate, a lot of our symptoms do align with herpes symptoms, but the number of negative tests and limited research makes me think that this is truly related to herpes.  For those in committed relationships or limited sexual activity, please honestly consider:

different ways of contracting the virus (metal silverware has been a reported way many times, for instance),

test results that are inadequate (unable to correctly identify, especially without an outbreak) or altogether false,

the ability you or a partner of having had the virus for a long time without any major symptoms (a dormancy of sorts).

I am definitely not a doctor, but I am just compiling what I am noticing from myself and others.  I could be on a completely wrong track, but I also want us to be completely honest even if it is the *H word.  

I have a major question, though....both for theorizing and also just for personal purposes....how frequently are people getting these breakouts?  Women are reporting them in conjunction to stress or their menstruation cycles, but are we talking every month?

I mostly ask because I just had my first one, and I am flat-out worried if I have to anticipate these every month from here on out???  How many outbreaks have the rest of you had and how frequently?

Thanks again so much for the support (and sorry about another long post!).
I stopped using the A&D and am using estrogen cream(PREMARIN)the same way.  It heals the fissures in a day or 2.
Saturday morning I woke up with a new cut but it was healed 4 hours later (I clean it every 2hours with unscented baby wipes and put fresh estrogen cream on it. I also have no burning any more since starting the estrogen cream.
I am lucky enough to have a doc that is willing to listen and read and ask other people and send me somewhere else if he cant do it he doest want me to suffer.
He has told me that if he cant figure it out by the end of this week he is sending me to the University there is a lady there who specializes in problems on the outside of the vagina.
The oral steroids and the estrogen cream together get rid of all the syptoms (symptoms) but it is only a temporary fix if you stop either one some of the symptoms come back, and that is not good enough for me so it is not good enough for him.
Remember that your docs work for you and can be fired.  Then remind them of that.
At the end of this week it will be 4 weeks that Ive been dealing with it.  

I do have a question though, Iwas reading about anal fissures to see if the is a link between the two kinds and am wondering .. Do any of you have hard bumps deep under the skin where it itches the worst?  I do above the hood.
With anal fissures they are caused by hormonial imbalance and ussually come with hemerroids(a blown out vein) which causes a lack of blood flow.  I have never had hemerroids but I am sure I have heard they itch...bad and burn.  

I am thinking that I want my doc to do a ultrasound of the area and see if the bumps are blown out veins but I would like to know if any else has noticed this, hopefully we will get this figured out soon and none of us will have to find out how long it can last.

My doc reads this so he can learn more about it too.

Do any of the 2005 post-ers ever check in I just went through agian and it looks like they just dropped off the forum...seems like they would have been nice enough to let us know if they were cured.  So we could be to ...I will.
sweetglowing11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I know how frustrating these symptoms can be! I have had very similar vaginal issues to those posted here. I had sustained them for over a year. I had tried to find answers at my gyno and I even checked this site amongst other websites searching for any information before I found the conclusive reason for my condition.

I had small vaginal tears that came and went. My vaginal skin seemed thin, sometimes even appearing shiny. It often felt extremely dry. It also was consistently red and irritated. Sex was painful and could make my symptoms worse. I had a large “tear” in the crease of my buttocks, above my anus. All the areas would occasionally even slough off skin, like dead skin rubs off.

I tried the following based on information I got from a variety of sources:

1) Got tested for STD’s - I was negative for everything, except for HPV, of which shouldn’t cause any of these types of symptoms.

2) Used no soaps, wore cotton underwear only, wore loose clothing, washed gently, etc.

3) Natural Progesterone “wild yam” ointment – to strengthen skin (in case it was hormone related, which can happen in older women after menopause, but I’m 30, so that seems unlikely and I had hormone tests that indicated I was fairly balanced)

4) Prescription yeast infection pills and both non & prescription anti-fungal creams – in case it was yeast related. The creams tended to make my whole vaginal area burn even more. However, yeast can cause cuts, but I was negative. Be sure to ask your doctor for a yeast culture before they give you creams, etc. that may be useless or may irritate you more.

5) A steroid/anti-fungal cream mixture. - This was successful in relieving my symptoms, but didn’t seem like a long-term cure.

I tried to find hope in all these, and sometimes I thought something had worked, but my symptoms always returned. I wanted to know what I had!

I think it is important to not only communicate with your gyno, but also SEE A DERMATOLOGIST! And I don’t mean any dermatologist; ask for one that specializes in genital diseases. Mine specialized in STD’s, Genital Disease, and General Dermatology. The reason is that a general dermatologist may not be able to successfully evaluate you. I went a general dermatologist that had no idea and gave me the usual creams. Luckily, she had a fellow doctor that she knew might know more. She sent me to the doctor that eventually was able to diagnose me.

He advised the following tests to narrow it down:

1) Take Diflucan (a pill to clear yeast infections) - He had me take a dosage 3 times longer and stronger than usual to be certain. If it is successful, one should see a significant difference in a day or so. I saw no change.

2) Do a patch test. This was a 2-day test you wear on your back that can determine if you have a contact dermatitis. This means you could be allergic to something from your exterior environment. They test you for ~150 different possibilities (e.g. ingredients in toilet paper, laundry detergents, etc.) He even said that you could have an allergy that shows up in different areas than the area of contact. Example, you can touch something with your hand and get a reaction on your foot. I was allergic to a few things, but nothing that would cause my symptoms.

3) Get a biopsy, Of course this does not seem like a pleasant alternative, yet it was successful in determining the cause of my symptoms. The procedure was not nearly as dreadful as I anticipated. They take a tiny amount of skin for testing. I easily healed in a few days with no major discomfort or pain.

SUCCESS!

The test results revealed that I had very early stages of Lichen Sclerosis. The biopsy may reveal other conditions as well. This came as a surprise as most information I read on Lichen Sclerosis usually show the extreme symptoms and usually applies it to elderly women. I learned that Lichen Sclerosis can occur in young women, men and even children. It is an autoimmune disease. It is not contagious, can occur at any time, and the early symptoms can be exactly like mine. Many gyno’s are not aware of the early symptoms. Please note that itchiness was only occasionally a symptom for me, yet itchiness can be a common symptom, often making people think it is yeast.

Lichen Sclerosis can be scary; it can yield very devastating results if diagnosis does not happen early. There is no cure, but symptoms can disappear with treatment (a prescription steroid cream cleared everything up – I may have to use it occasionally to relieve any future symptoms). There is a good chance that it will not progress if kept in check. I’m back to normal, sex is comfortable (as always, be sure to use lubrication if you are irritated) and I’m happy that I at least know what I’m dealing with. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to have symptoms and not know how to make them better.
Always ask doctors to perform tests for symptoms so you have conclusive results - yea or nay - so you are not searching in the dark, unable to determine if something worked for you for the right reason.

As far as birth control pills (they seem to cause so many issues!):
I had started taking birth control pills at the time my symptoms started (LS may be linked to fluctuations in hormones amongst a few other things), However, my condition had even continued a year later after I had stopped taking them.

I apologize that this is such a lengthy post. I just hope something in it could be an option in searching for an answer when there is so much good and bad advise out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My last post is copied from another forum.
two women were diagnosed with that one lady with "sweet syndrom (syndrome)'  and one with  'Vulvadynia'.
All of which you need a biopsy to get a diagnosis.
GOOD LUCK
I have had the same symptoms everyone is describing on & off since August 2005.

In December 2006, I married and moved out of my former apartment into my husband's place.  When moving, I found mold in my old apartment.  Since being in my new home with my husband, I've not had any of these symptoms whatsoever until last Sunday (07/15/07) when we were visiting my mother-in-law for a week.  I noticed at her house the towels smelled mildewy and she has a dehumidifier in her basement.  To me this suggests she may have mold in her home.  However, I've been at home for 4 days now and I've still got the paper cuts, burning/tearing sensation during sex, and itchiness.  I thought I'd finally figured out the source of the problem (mold), but since the symptoms haven't gone away  after several days, I feel I'm back to square one with this mysterious problem.

Went to doctor this morning, he was very skeptical of this being a mold problem.  His first thought was that I have lichen sclerosis, but since I don't have the bumps to biopsy, he's not sure it's that either.  I'm at my wits end because this affects my sex life with my husband.  And these first months of marriage have been so wonderful, with sex being pain free:(  I'm quite sad today.

Anyone else ever assocated this with mold?
Well the more I read about   Lichen Sclerosis   the more it sounds like what I am dealing with I am calling my doc in the morning to set up a biopsy I will let you all know how it goes.
My Dr. suggested that my tears were fugal and told me to get Hydrozole, it can't be used for too long though and was only a temporary fix, while relieving the symptoms. We have mould on our ceilings that keeps returning, an interesting thought! I have often wondered if a little sunshine wouldn't help, like 5 - 10mins per day. One would need a private secluded spot (hard to come by) to shine that dial to the heavens!
Do you have to have the tell-tale white bumps for your doctor to biopsy?  I think my doctor would have done that straightaway yesterday, but he said there wasn't anything he could biopsy....(this was a gynecologist).  Let us know how your doctor chooses what skin to sample.

Faith 007:  My doc was very skeptical of this being related to mold.  He said it was just a fluke that my symptoms seemed to coincide with exposure to mold:(  This is so devastating.  I thought all these months I'd finally figured out the problem and now it's back.  I'm 27 years old and can't have sex whenever I want ;(
No I dont but according to the 500 or so articles any area of effected skin (swollen, cracked, torn,oddly pigmented, there are lots and lots)
I am going in at 9 am in the morning so I will let you know.
Also acording to the articles gyno's dont usually know much about it. Dermatologist ussually do the test the only reason my gyno is, is that he is the only doc I have.
I will let you all know about it tomorrow.
ok, so i'm reading/writing on 2 forums....WOW!  I can not believe that this is such an undiagnosed and unsolved problem for us.  I have all of the SAME issues...and I'm not even going to write my history or symptoms, because they are the SAME as almost all of the posts I just read.  
So here's my question:

what can I put on my vulva to stop the itching?

And here's my tip:

try pouring a cup of cool water over your vulva while urinating when you have tears/fissures...it dilutes the urine and decreases the burning.  

And here's my theory/question/hypothesis:

are we suffering from yeast infections/varying pH levels due to estrogen level imbalances?

peace to all...and let's FIGURE THIS OUT!  :-)
I started suffering with the same symptoms approx. 4 months ago. Still do not know what it is since it goes and comes back. Sex with my husband is very painful so I avoid it if possible.

Let your doctor know it is contagious. My niece who is 7 yrs old has the same papercut on the labia and lots of itching. I took care of her for a few days and she must have used the master bathroom when I was having a bout. I am so devastated.

For all our sake, I pray and hope for a cause and cure soon.
I know everyone has pain externally, but does anyone else have pain INSIDE their vagina during sex?  Is this a symptom of lichen sclerosis?  With every inch my husband penetrates, pain comes.  The specific feeling is a burning/tearing sensation...it feels as though my vagina is too small.  Even though I know my vagina is not too small for him because we've had sex hundreds of times pain free.
i think all of the pain (inside or out) is due to raw, sore, itchy skin that is not surviving in a natural state.  i don't think it's contagious, as much as it's probably hereditary.  i'm really going on the low estrogens levels.  i think that these hormones regulate sooooo much of our bodies, including the pH of our vagina and vulva area.  incorrect pH then equals increased yeast infections, dryness, itching, skin tears....etc.  i dunno, these are just my theories.  i read a lot on estrogen yesterday, and decided to take an herbal supplement to increase and regulate my hormonal levels.  it may take a while, but i'm gonna try this and see what happens.  no health insurance right now.....so i'm self-medicating.

one more helpful idea:
buy baby washcloths to use down there on the tender areas.  they are very soft and can be moistened for cleaning or even used to dab away urine.  

lil2blunt....any updates?
Quote:    "My last post is copied from another forum.
All of which you need a biopsy to get a diagnosis. "

I don't know what 'sweet syndrome' is, but you do not need a biopsy to diagnose Vulvodynia. You need a gyn who knows what this is and a physical therapist who will check out your pelvic floor muscles to determine if there is a problem.

Douching of any kind is bad.  You will only disrupt an already fragile vaginal ecosystem.  Eating yogurt is a myth. The bacteria in yogurt can not travel to your vagina, also they are of the wrong strain so they do not have the ability to attach to your vaginal walls.

Take it easy with applying steroids to your vulvar area.  This will thin out your already inflammed tissues.  This makes you more prone to cuts and fissures.

Do not use products containing glycol or any other type of alchohol or sugar.  No babywipes, no perfumed products, no dryer sheets.  Use All Free and Clear detergent for your clothes.  Wash yourself with water and your fingers only.  As someone suggested, rinsing with water after urination can help ease symptoms too.

If in pain or itching, you can try a sitz bath, using a frozen pack of peas. Try not to ice the area, as this can also lead to damaged skin.

Fight to get a proper hormone panel done.

To help ease the dryness, you can use a little dab of olive oil, coconut oil or crisco shortening. This helps alot when you have your period.  Beware of Always brand products.  Many women are alergic (allergic) to their pads.  Try Naturecare pads.

I suggest reading the following book by Dr. Elizabeth Stewart,  'The 'V' book'.  There is a wealth of information in that book that every woman should know.

If you are having pain inside your vagina, you should look up information on vaginmus:  http://www.vaginismus.com/

Also,   vulvodynia.com has a lot of information.

One last tidbit.  Try to avoid yeast treatments that use creams or suppositories.  Once you become sensitive to stuff like monistat, the reaction will only get worse.  Asking for a  yeast culture and having it typed with sensitivities is a good thing to do.  Though I was told by a top notch dermatologist, that many cultures will also be negative even though there  may be a low level infection going on.  Especially if you have developed a sensitivity to yeast.

Foods to avoid or cut back on,  wheat gluten, sugar, alcohol.  There is a candida diet ( I don't have the info) but may be worth looking into.  

fs
Well my doc spoke to the woman from the university for 3 days and she told him what to do.  So he did more cultures and said thinks I have a 'rare' yeast infection and gave me a new cream.  he did not want to do a biopsy this time because it would create another area to be infected but he sent the cultures to the university to be examined and said he will be sending me next Monday to the university to see that woman if the results come back negative for yeast.  

The woman said she will do a biopsy if all these test come back negative.  

I wiil keep you informed.
All of us are getting our info from each other, other forums, our docs and web searches if one or more of us give wrong information such as how a test is done it would be accidentaland what I read on the web.  We are all only trying to help each other. We are all dealing with this **** that totally consumes our lives, and we all just want it to go away.

We are also very tired of people who only want to tell us that it is herpes when we have already tested negative for it.  Even the people who have herpes said that they KNOW that this is not the same thing. Those poor women are dealing with twice as much.

We are here to support each other because people in our lives that dont have it dont understand even though they want too.  Trail and error is the only way we are going to get this taken care of and that is what we are trying to do.

So if you are from that other forum and the person who was telling everyone that this is herpes and just being mean to everyone then we dont need you here,  if you are like the rest of us, and just need the help and support that the rest of us do, then please join us, and help everyone on here stay positive.  A negative attitude is easy enough for us to come by without any help.

hi all!!! i too, am uninsured at the present time.. so i am trying to self medicate as well.. i also got a hormone supplement to try to "balance" levels like the box suggests.. also bought a cream that is supppose to do the same thing.. now that i take a step back, i have spent so much on treatments and preventative!! i should have just gone to the doc.. my guy has been gone for a week, and i was in so much pain the week prior we have only been togehter the one time thus far and the outcome was horrific!! sooo, he comes home tonight.. i cant wait and i am scared to death at the same time.. i took suggestions and picked up so astro-glide (fyi, k-y anything is yeast city for me!! especially the warming ones!!), with any luck, this time will be different.. i am 43 and have had this problem once a couple years ago, but no where near this bad..i can not imagine a night of loving and 7-10 days for immense pain for the rest of my life!! my hope and prayer is that we will find the culprit and put it to rest...  to the gal who is thinking contagious, i have two grown daughters that live with me, and you know teenage girls, they are in my stuff all the time!! neither of them have it (or at least no sypmptoms yet!!) (on that note fyi, i did have my first pap and pelvic at the ripe age of 12 for vaginal discharge, the diagonsis was simply, some people have more saliva in their moths, some woman have more of a natural discharge!! not sure if anyone else had this issue as a kid!)

lil2blunt, please please let us all know what your doc says and i so pray they figure it out for you as well as the rest of us.. i am with barbie 1979, i want to be able to have sex anytime i want, and be pain free...  hang in there ladies, not sure about the rest of you, but just knowing i am not alone in this makes in a little easier to handle.... happy friday
There was nothing derogatory, demeaning or negative in my statements.  

These are facts that I have picked up over the past 3yrs suffering from 24/7 constant vulvar pain due to vulvodynia.

There is a lot of mis-information out there and a lot of unkowlegable doctors.   When women deal with these issues, they need to know what is going on so they can look for a doctor who can help them with the proper treatment.   Incorrect diagnosis, patronizing doctors and ignorant doctors can be difficult for some women to deal with.   Some old wives tales and home remedies can actually make things worse and more difficult to diagnose.
I do apologize for the misunderstanding.

It would have been different had I known but in your first post on here you criticized everything we have said in our search for something that would help.  You did not mention anything that would tell us that you had any diagnosis of any sort, only that we were wrong. I am sure that everyone else feels all bad feelings easier while dealing with this, because we already feel so bad already that negativity is easy to come by. That is not something that will help any of us heal mentally or physically.

Again, I do apologize.
Has anyone else noticed that the dates of this message board go from 07/24/05 to 06/25/07?  I find it hard to believe that there were no posts between these dates?  Is there part of this message board missing?  How can we find out?  There is a poster by the name of "mindboggled" who had a biopsy and I can't find her posting of the results due to the dates jumping from July 2005 to June of 2007.  I'm curious to know what her results were, what action was taken from there, the rest of the story, etc.

Also, the original poster "arrowsmom" mentioned a specialist in lebanon, N.H.  I looked it up and found the Hitchcock Medical Center Vulvar Clinic... I'm going to see my doctor again on Monday, I'm going to beg him to do a biopsy, and I'm also going to ask him to contact these specialists in N.H.

I'd also like to add that, I had a bout with this previously that lasted for 16 months.  I tried all these home remedy type things that people have posted about, and nothing worked.  I had a "remission"  period starting in December 2006 and this problem has returned as bad as ever as of 2 weeks ago.   I don't want home remedy advice I want medical advice.  This is not in my head, otherwise, why would it go into remission as suddenly as it has reappeared?
I emailed the sites tech support about a week ago to find out about  'mindboggled'  because she got my attention too.
They have yet to reply though.

I dont know your location but the University of Michigan has a clinic like this, and there may be one at your local university (just a thought).

Good luck with the biopsy issue ( I threatened my doc telling him if he doesnt have results for me I would be going somewhere else).
The docs dont seem to understand that we are ready to gouge it out with a potato peeler.  That it effects everything in our life and we just want to feel like a human being again.
They dont get the fact that even if we are healed up enough to attempt to have sex that we dont get as much out of it as normal because we are scared to death.
I bet if their marriage or sex life was effected by it we would all be cured already.

Sorry I'm not having a good day I have been crying since I woke up feeling like this will never end.

I do wish you luck and when you get the results from your biopsy please do not forget about us.

Found the following in another forum. I posted the question as to a diagnosis or is it just to treat symptoms I will let you know as soon as I get an answer.  Also here is the link to the forum.

FYI.  I went to my ob/gyn a couple weeks ago.  He prescribed Nystatin and Triamcinolone - Acetonide Cream USP.  I haven't had a problem with vaginal cuts since.  The cream doesn't burn like what I have used before for a yeast infection.  After sex, I applied a little bit and felt fine in the morning!  I feel great!
My gyn prescribed a combo Miconazol 2% Triamcin .1% cream as of this past Tuesday.  I too have had external results with this as far as no paper cuts.  I still have the redness though.  Sex is still painful on the inside as of Wednesday night, but I didn't have the usual swelling/burning/paper cut after effects.  Since Wednesday night I've been putting this cream INSIDE of my vagina.  I plan to have sex Saturday night to see if putting it there helps ease the pain inside my vagina.  My doc wanted to try this for a month, but when sex was still painful on Wednesday, I made another appt. for this Monday.
I called to get info from the Hitchcok place and the transferred me to the Mass. office.
The docs name is Elizabeth Stuart  # is  
The doc is on vacation for the next 2 weeks but the receptionist talked to some of the nurses and got some print outs on diseases and infections that can cause this problem we are all having, that I can take to my doc.  She is sending them to me today. When I get them I will scan them to my pc and post them so that we can all have a chance to maybe get a closer look at specific symptoms that we relate to the most to better help our docs help us.
I will be going back to the doc Monday as well. and plan to point out this forum again. He sent the link to the lady in Ann Arbor and I just hope we can all get this over with soon.

I hope that works for you, Let me know. I would love to have sex agian and be able to just enjoy it.

Have LOADS of fun on Saturday I will be looking forward to Sundays report, Hopefully I will be able to read the smile in your words.
Aiyiyi - I'm joining the club - this has been a problem for me for ages... at least four years, if not more. I'm 21, sexually active, tested negative for herpes. Last time my doctor told me that a yeast infection caused the fissures... and I am quite prone to them, but it sounds like some people here are having them even WITHOUT a yeast infection?

It does seem absurd that this is so common and so completely mystifying to doctors. Then again, it probably never killed anybody so there goes all the funding for research. :P

Is it bad to keep putting that "vulvar cream" that comes with yeast infection medicine on it? To tell the truth, I'm not sure it's helping anyway...
funny someone mentioned the triamcymilone.. i just started using that at the tail end of this last bout.. wasnt sure if it worked or i was at tail end.. but thanks for the fyi.. :)

lil2blunt.. :( sorry your having a tough day.. i am sending you a hug and a smile and hopefully in a year or so (being optomistic and realistic!!) we will all know what the cause is and have treatments.. thus creating a bunch of much happier men in the world.. dont they say if mama aint happy aint nobody happy!!!  hang in there sweetie!!

barbie1979!! good luck saturday.. hopefully come monday we will all have wonderful stories to share and not horror stories..

also wondering if any of you use tampax?? i asked once before, but no one responded.. i have used them for years.. and i mean years!!! :) and yes, sometimes when i am not on my period.. was also sexually active at a pretty young age.. not alot of partners, but started young?? anyone else.. i am just trying to find a common denominator.. if we start backward maybe we can move forward... please keep the info coming.. share what works for you.. even though it may not work for everyone.. out of desperation, i tried almost everything (lil2, i didnt try the pickles!!) and some of it worked for me and some didnt, but it helps us newbys at least have a direction to go in!!! :) keep it coming..

free spirit, please know that we all appreciate input and some times we all have bad days.. what have you found that helps for you and how were you diagnosed and how long did it take for your doc to figure it out?? thank you a million times for the 411 on monistat!! seems to make EVERYTHING WORSE!!  have used it about every  other month for the last 2 years for itching and my doc said i was having recurring infections were from being perimenopausal.. (she is not a doc is an np.. maybe she didnt know!!) i had just done a treatment about a week before this happened so now i wonder if that made it worse?? i dont know..but thanks for the info!!!

ok, i am shutting up now.. :) thanks ladies
forgot to mention -- i'm married (14 years).  as far as i know he's been faithful.  says he has.  no reason to doubt him.  i've been faithful.  no history of stds for either of us (hubby's been my only one; he only had a couple of other partners).  two children.  i dog i cat.  used to use tampax but stopped when this started (which is ok cause they leaked anyway); now i use thin maxi pads when i'm doing a yeast treatment or on my period, no pantyliners in between periods.  
hello, all.
i have been dealing with this problem since mid may.  started out as itchiness in my vulva right after a period.  super intense itchiness that would just appear then disappear.  after a few days, used a mirror to look and my skin in that area (the fleshy bit above the clitoris) was flaking off (!) and had one tiny fissure.  went to the dr. that week.  she said yeast infection (her exact quote after looking at the culture was "all kinds of yeast in there."  after the 7 day treatment (store brand miconozale), no real results.  didn't have any other symptoms of yeast, no cheesy discharge, no vaginal itching, no yeast odor.  never had a yeast infection before.  washing area with water only and being careful not to stretch the skin when i wash, use "free" laundry detergent (no dyes, perfumes, etc.), cotton undies, loose clothes.

two weeks after first appt., went back because i had strep throat.  told her itch/fissure problem hadn't gone away.  she suggested repeating treatment at least twice since i would have to be on antibiotics for the strep.  did the antibiotics (at least the strep went away).  repeated 7 day treatment in June after i finished them.  no change.  waited a week, tried other stuff -- antibiotic ointment, petroleum jelly based -- made it itch waaaay worse, had to wipe it off (is the neosporin someone mentioned this kind of clear greasy ointment or is it a cream?  any kind of petroleum ointment stuff makes mine itch like crazy).  tried aloe, seemed to help a little for a while but not much.  tried over the counter hydrocortisone -- didn't help, plus i didn't want to be using steroid cream for long anyway.  at beginning of next period (early july), did 3 day treatment (clotrimazole).  no change.  i'd have one good day, think i was getting better, then wake up in the night with that itchy feeling.  haven't been scratching (really hard not to, but i don't want to irritate the skin any more.  

gave it a couple of weeks and just did another 7 day yeast treatment.  no change.  surely if it was yeast related it would have gone away by now?  like i said, never dealt with yeast infections before -- do they go on and on for months like this?  recently started low carb diet (basically gave up sugar, white flour, junk food)to lose a little weight (about 15 lbs) and to see if cutting out sugar and white flour will help.  taking acidopholis tablets and eating sugar free yogurt daily.  37 years old, sex about 3 times a month.  doesn't seem to be related to sex at all; if i wait two weeks it's just as bad as if i don't.  just the one tiny cut and itching in the surrounding area and occasional skin flakiness (doesn't look at all like photos of lichen sclerosis, btw, no skin thickening, any of that, nor is it spreading to other areas).  some days doesn't itch at all, but others like crazy.  maybe it is a stress thing, and thinking about it just increases the stress so it won't go away.  i'm ditching the yeast treatment for a month or so, going to try meditation for stress relief, and continue with the low carb diet.  don't really see the point in going to the dr since they don't seem to be able to figure out what the hell it is.  i'm just glad mine isn't anywhere near my vagina.  i have no pain during sex -- just itchiness!  glad to see i'm not the only one dealing with this.  too bad none of us are in medical school -- we could become obgyns and dedicate our life to educating the public about this and searching for its cause!  you're all in my thoughts!
it seems that ive been having THE SAME exact problem as m2w&l .... almost to the T, except i have the same reoccuring cut near the opening of my vagina and my GYNs (i went to 2) say its a really tough spot for a cut to heal. sex hurts so im trying to avoid it to give it time to heal, although i cant tell how much thats helping... ive been tested for STDs, infections - alll negative although i did try treatments for yeast infection and BV, no apparent results. the funny thing is the itchiness started around mid-may as well after my period ended. i'm guna try some ointments once my period ends and if the cut is still there after a month, i guess i will revisit my GYN. pleaase let me know if there is any improvement in your case. I'm 19 only having sex with my boyfriend and just got my wisdom teeth removed in late march which caused me to be on antibiotics for a month and a half, oddly when strange things started happening (pain during sex, reoccuring cut, soreness/tenderness) i recently went off the pill to exclude any potential factors. i have faith we will find a solution... hopefully.
First off I was surprised to find a thread about this topic.  I have searched before for solutions, but never came across this forum until yesterday.  What a relief to know I am not alone, unfortunately it is for a problem like this.

I have found that Neosporin plus Pain Relieve CREAM works well for healing the cuts, and just soothing the sting of the cut.  Be sure to only use the CREAM though and not the greasy looking ointment...that STINGS & BURNS bad where as the cream doesn't.

I too get the cuts right after my period, usually with in a week, and I am pretty I get them with or without having sex, I guess I should pay more attention.  It just seems like the come up so suddenly....guess I need to keep better track of the whole problem.

All my best to all of you.
hi all...

first of all i want to say that i will never be able to thank all of you enough for your stories and advice.. it is priceless.. i also want to say that i amusing estroven supplement and a menocream i bought over the counter.. i have stopped using tampons all together.. used astorgide this weekend (that is now to me worth its wieght in gold!!)stopped using body wash and am using soaps only! my boyfriend thought maybe it was his body wash as well so he switched to soap also.. he bought me some monostate cool wipes when this first happened cause he felt awful (it was the first time we were intimate) and they helped a little..

i am not sure what my end result will be, but this weekend was amazing and lets just say busy and i have no cuts at all.. a tiny bit of itching and that is about it.. so i will keep you posted.. but please keep giving the info. for what its worth, my symptoms got worse around my period as well and that is why the doc said hormones could be my issue 2 years ago..  lil2?? barbie?? how was your weekend?? you two ok?? :) take care
I've been using the Miconazol 2%/Triamcin .1% combo cream the gyn prescribed since last Tuesday (07/24/07).  I put the cream on both the external vulva and internally in the vaginal canal.  Had sex twice yesterday (07/29/07) and once today and the only discomfort (note I use the word discomfort and not excruciating pain) was in the posterior fourchette area of my vulva.  Have no tears at all.  My vulva has returned to a nice pink color and I feel very healthy.  Like I say, very little pain during sex.  If it doesn't completely subside in another week or 10 days, I'm planning to go back to the gyn.

My doctor gave me another prescription for Hydrol 2.5%.  It's also a corticosteroid like the Triamcin.  He is having me apply it to my vulva 3X per day for a month, and then 2X per day the next month, as he wants to "wean" me off it once I'm totally healed.  Then he wants to see me after the 2nd month for a follow-up.

As for a Dx, all he can say at this time is I have very sensitive skin.  I show some symptoms of lichen sclerosis (the paper cuts, swelling, redness, itchiness), but I don't show enough of the symptoms to biopsy to test for lichen sclerosis, lichen planus, etc.  However, that may not be the case for other people on this forum.

Doc also said that the come and go nature of this problem is characteristic of long-term, chronic diseases (such as lichen sclerosis).

I hope this info helps.  In the next few weeks I will come back on here periodically and report how I'm doing with this treatment program.  Until then, I think it's well worth everyone's time and money (even if you don't have health insurance) to go see a gyn and get a scrip for a corticosteroid.  If you have what I have, it may not go away for a long time.  And even if it does, it will probably come back.
Hi, so glad to hear your weekend was GREAT.  Mine was pretty good and no cuts.

Sorry about last week and my boohooing.  My poor daughter had to deal with that for 4 days straight.

I agree that I could not have made it through any of this with out this site. This is the craziest thing I have ever gone through.

Spoke with my doc today and he is giving me a topical steroid that I will pick up tomorrow.  He also said that he will do a biopsy Friday if the new stroid doesnt make all symptoms go away.
I'll keep you all informed.
i've been away for a few days, and it was very comforting to get back to my support group!  i still can't get over how i can read another post and think......"it's like i wrote that myself!"  it's all sooooooo similiar.  

i had three good days (no itching, felt normal, cuts healed) then woke up this AM itching and red.  horrible.  i've been putting vaseline on every morning and it certainly is the best thing i've found for me.  but i'm with the rest of you......what good are the home remedies if we can't make it go away completely?  

have been terrified to have sex....good thing my fiance is understanding.  i think my biggest worry is that this will be still "flaring up" or become a problem in october during my wedding or honeymoon.  

lil2blunt, if you can scan those documents, that would be awesome and i'd be very grateful and appreciative.  :-)  i feel like i've found a new group of friends!!!
I believe I am having a similar problem.  My boyfriend and I were both virgins, so naturally the first time hurt for me and I experience minimal bleeding.  Usually, it still hurts just a tiny bit on entry, but then the pain goes away.  I noticed the other day, towards the end of sex, it started to hurt just a little.  I had realized that the pain was from lack of lubrication.  When we were finished, he noticed that there was a little blood on the condom.  I had just finished my period the day before, so I had assumed that it was just remnants left over.  However, still, almost a day and a half later, I am still getting a little blood when I wipe.  It's not bright red, but it's like little dots of dark red.  The area doesn't seem to be red and doesn't necessarily hurt either, it's just uncomfortable when wiping.  Clearly, we're not having sex until I feel comfortable again, but I guess it just makes me a little nervous.  Any ideas or suggestions?
hi guys!! well after 5 straight days of nothing but bliss :) had to take a break last night.. started to feel itchy and irritated yesterday am.. so, took a break, used the vagi-gard and before bed last night, i showered and used the triamc.. today i am like new?? wierd huh!!! :) trial and error.. ok guys.. stillw waiting for response about tampons!! havent used a tampon now since this all happened on the 16.. and i seem to be having less issues?? could be coinky dink, but still wondering if the strings are causing the small irratation?? let me know.. at least so, if nothing else, i can shut up and put it to rest!!

remy.. for a while, try using a lube everytime, even if you think your ready!! i know for me astro glide is like fairy dust!! works great and since the wrong toilet paper can set me off, this is something that works great.. they actually have one special for sensitive skin!!! try that.. not sure how long you have been sexually active, but sometimes the hymen tears slower for some women instead of all at once... my daughter had that issue and it caused her some discomfort the first several times she had sex.. if it persists.. please please go to your gyno.. you need to know if that is the issue.. could be a million things.. but those are my two thougths!! :)

ok.. to work i go.. thank you all for this support system.. i no longer feel funky and gross!! happy to know there are so many others like me dealing with this stuff!! looking forward to a day when this becomes a "remember when" site because we are all healthy and happy!!!

lil2.. dont apologize!!  that is why we are all here.. to help each other.. :) have a great day
i know everyone has said this...but wow!  i have been getting these tears/scratches...whatever they are, for a little over a year now (new partner).  i never thought to see what they were, or how to "fix" them until this last episode.  

let me start by saying someone else posted exactly where my tears are happening...above the clitoris (sp?) kind of where the lips meet...its like if my lips (please excuse me, i am not being anatomically correct) get pulled too far apart, that part cracks or tears.  i have gotten them in the area between my vagina and anus, and on either side of the vaginal hole.  most common was the one on top.

in the past, i have used antibacterial ointment and it seemed to help (not 100%...but definately better than nothing).  so naturally when one popped up this week (no sex since early sunday, so it wasnt caused by sex), i put some ointment on and went off to work.  during the day, i had other symptoms like discharge that had green in it (never ever had this before...and ive had yeast infections and bladder infections before), some itcing, just plain uncomfortable-along with the normal stinging.  (sorry for the rambling...just super excited in a way...that i have found people like me)  

okay so i came home and took a mirror to see what was going on.  the discharge had stopped (im guessing it ws from the ointment...like on the verge of a yeast infection...but that is gone)...but saw a larger than normal scratch.  that clicked in my mind with all of the other stuff i have had going on down there....scratches, rash type thing for a few weeks on my inner butt cheeks, itching, soreness...etc.  so i decided to look up scratches...and here i am.  

after reading all of this from you girls...i went out and bought some a&d ointment and that helped...put it on last night and today im doing much better!!

anyway...thanks for everyones candidness here...it really helps to know that im not the only one going thru this.  i will keep reading!

thanks again :)
I have been having the same problem for the past few months now. I went to the doc today and Im sceduled for a colposcopy and biopsy on wed. He said that it looks like it could be *lichen sclerosus*. But Ive noticed that no one is being healed from it on here. Im really scared about the whole biopsy thing and that it will never go away. Have any of you had a biopsy? And is it something I should be scarred about ...im only 21. Why are we all going thru this pain??? It sucks so bad!!! And I feel for all of you gals too!
Hello all... I have been experiencing this problem since January of this year.  My fiance and I are abstaining from sex untily we get married next June, but we slipped up today and the fissures returned.  I don't want this issue to affect our sex lives (once we get married) and I am truly looking forward to having sex... or at least I was until the fissure returned.  Now I'm terrified to go through the same thing every time we have sex and because of that fear, I'm afraid to even try.  I'm scared and I don't know what to do.  I tested negative for all STD's and the fissures only accompany sex and I have or at least had a very healthy sexual appetite.  Anyway, I have to make sure to somehow take care of this issue before I get married.  Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.
Geez...who invented this?  It sucks!!!    I have the same problems - they started about 10 months ago.  I have used all the creams others have used, but began using some of my husband's wound care creams and I like them better.  They don't cure anything, but I just like them better.  I use Secura Skin Protectant (by Smith&Mephew and Baza Protect (by Sween).  I also use Gentle Rain Extra Mild kin cleanser (by Sween) I don't know if you can get them in stores - I get mine on-line.  There are several good sites for would care medical supplies.  I use Sween.com and RTA Medical Supply.

I am 53 and was sure this was related to aging hormonal shifts, but I see several younger women are having the same difficulties.

I liked the brainstorming attempt several posts up - what might we have in common.  Here are my thoughts...

- I also have some little bumps and  a knot or two and the fissures and the spots that feel like paper cuts or really dry cracked skin or like dermabrasions.
- I sit at my desk for hours most days.
- I had to have an anal fissure reparied about 10 years ago, but these symptoms weren't present then.
- The bottom half of my body has always been very sensitivet to nylon - since childhood, I have had to wear cotton undies and slips.  I can handle pantyhose for maybe two or three hours, but I itch like crazy afterwards.
- Condoms have always bothered me.  After using one, I would itch and burn for about two days.
- I have wondered if "pleasure pals" (vibrators/sex toys) ever really get clean.  Does the plastic get inbedded with microbial bacteria or fungus.
-  I do have other skin problems - acne rosecea and periodic eczema
- I wonder if there is a surface skin infection - this happens with rosecea sometimes.  When it does happen, I have to take tetracyclien for several weeks.  Hmmm, I think I will see a dermatologist about this.
- My gynecologist tested for herpes, yeast infection and baterial vaginosis - negative for all.  He really didn't have an answer couldn't offer much more in the way of soothing the irritation. He did prescribed a lidocaine gel (like they use in mouths) to help relieve the pain.  It sort of worked,but you have to reapply it often.

That's it for now.  I look forward to what others may have experienced or what other remedies may be available.
wow.. ok.. so i too sit at my desk for hours a day!! i am 43.. have always been super sensitve in the netherlands!! :)  had my first pap and pelvic at the ripe age of 12.. hadnt had a period yet, but was already having unusual discharge.. love the sexy feeling of pretty panties, but most of them are not 100% cotton, so i cant wear them for long!! have figured out that my body wash is a huge issue, though i dont use it in my vaginal area, it runs down i am guessing and creates an issue.. bath and body stuff is the worst!!

i too thought most of mine was hormone related, but alas, so many younger gals with same issues, so, thinking that is not either.. one other thing that i have found this month is using pantie shields has helped immensley!! i did have a wierd issue the other day, felt like the onset of yet another yeast infection, but i started on natures cure tabs 4 a day and just kept area super clean with water and paper towels.. no sex for 24 hours and it went away.. this so bites!!! my heart aches for everyone who is having an issue.. one more time also, vagi gard to stop the itching works great!! one time a day and i am good to go.. also i started using replens once a week.. that helps with the itching and dryness..

best wishes ladies....
any kind of diet connection, do you think?  I have to admit over the years my eating habits have been pretty bad.  I've been halfheartedly avoiding sugar to lose a little weight, avoid diabetes (my mom has it) and reduce moodiness, but i haven't been at it long enough or consistently enough to give it a good chance.  What kind of eating habits do you all have?  
After posting this morning, I too thought about the diet piece.  For me, sugar could have made sense prior to last September because I ate lots of bread, pasta, cakes, pies, doughnuts, etc.  But in Sept. I had bariatric surgery (stomach stapling) and have not had any sugar since then.  (Sugar makes you really sick after this type of surgery).  White flour products also make me sick so that is not in my diet any more.

Now my diet is high protein - chicken, whey protein, quite a bit of soy, ... other things strawberries, cucumbers, cauliflower, avocado, cream of wheat, oatmeal

Other things.....
- I drink alot of stuff with Splenda, Sweet and Low or Equal - Coffee, tea, Crystal Light
- Take thyroid medicine and an antidepressant
- I use Tide and fabric softener sheets or Downy Simple Pleasures fabric softener
- Panty shields irritate me

I'll keep thinking...
I posted back on 7/02 while awaiting my confirmatory tests for HSV-2.  I'm happy to say, they came back negative!  But, of course, that puts me back to square one as to what the cuts are.  Don't you all feel like you're on a merry-go-round that's not so merry?  I feel like I've tried so many different things trying to fix the problem, but they all seemed to be temporary solutions.  

Here's my stats:

-36, married
-2 kids
-have had tears for many years...even before kids.  Seems to have gotten worse in the past couple years.  Can't remember if I had them before the husband.
-live in So Cal
-not very good about drinking lots of water or eating vegetables
-have been on Loestrin-24 for the last 10 months continuously (didn't take placebos...went straight to a new pack...was trying to see if keeping the hormones constant would help with my monthly migraines.  Results were so-so. Decided after finishing the last pill pack to take a break and see if it makes a difference for not only the tears, but the dryness I've been dealing with
-have had trouble with Bacterial Vaginosis for past several years....think it was brought on by IUD that has since been taken out
-am currently on a probiotic to help stablize the flora down there called "Fem-dophilus" by Jarrow
-sometimes sex is painful/burning feeling if it goes on for too long. Often feels irritated down there afterwards.  Have started using condoms (ugh) to see if keeping the sperm off my skin  and out of my Vuh-J-J helps with the cuts and BV.  (Nothing like dealing with more than one thing.  I love being a girl!  :/ )
-using Vagisil lube...likeit MUCH better than KY...that stuff burns like hell.
-periodically use the premarin cream.  I rub it between the folds which is where I have the most trouble with the cuts.  just recently started getting them under the vaginal opening

My thoughts have been that it has something to do with the hormonal balance and natural flora.

And by the way....wanted to comment on the thoughts about canker sores in a previous post.  Canker sores are NOT herpes.  Cold sores, however, are a form of herpes.  Canker sore occur inside your mouth and cold sores are often found outside your mouth on your lips.  Cold sores ARE contagious.  My best advice for getting tested for Herpes is to get tested both for both 1 and 2 using Herpes Select IGg or a Western Blot test as those are most reliable.  If, however, you are positive for one and your result for 2 is above a 1.0 and below 3.5, then I encourage you to get the Herpes-2 Inhibition Test done to confirm your results.  Apparently, being positive for 1 can cause false positives for 2 (which is exactly what happened in my case...and possibly a problem with the lab)

Anyway, it definitely sounds like these cuts are NOT a herpes outbreak as I've read so many people that are positive say their Herpes outbreaks are completely different.

Keep us posted, gals.  I'm so hoping to find a cure for this.

jp
As I posted last week I was trying Tea Tree Oil, this made no difference at all, I am now swabbing with diluted vinegar,.... again I will let you know how I go later on. Do any of you swim in the ocean regularly? I use to all the time till I got married and moved a bit further away, and my husband dislikes the beach so I stopped going. Two years after, approx, I started to have this problem. I want to give the vinager a fair run first then I will try sea salt, but I will soak in it. I should ideally be doing that with the vinager like the Dr. advised but I'll see how the swabbing goes first. The sunsine theory can wait till it warms up first. Yes they are all natural theories but when you have tried every thing else, what the heck! I have also read that honey is a great healer, the topic was mouth ulcers at the time, but yes it 'was' used by the Egyptians.

BARBIE_1979: I tend to agree that it's got nothing to do with mould, I wish we were'nt so bound by our symptoms, this problem is so controlling. I reach out to you and give you a hug Barbie_1979......and all you dear ladies. X
Till next time...
these are questions for those of you who have had yeast infections (prior to May, when i first went to dr., i never had been diagnosed with one).  

when you have a yeast infection, does the treatment usually work within a few days?  (the reason i ask this is becasue after dr. diagnosed me, i used the 7 day treatment with no effect whatsoever on my symptoms...same with the subsequent 7 day treatment and 3 day treatment i did within the next two months)

when you have a yeast infection, do you ever have just external symptoms (the reason i ask this is because when i was diagnosed, i had no unusual discharge, no yeasty odor, no vaginal itching... just the itching on my vulva, up near my clitoris and nowhere near my vagina)

have you had yeast infections that last more than 3 months?

when you have a yeast infection, do you ever get flaky peeling skin on your vulva where it itches?  Is anyone else having flaky skin as a symptom along with the tears? my skin is flaking up near where i get the tear (fleshy area above my clitoris, under the hair)

it's not that i don't believe i had/have a yeast infection (she did a culture, so i'm sure she saw the yeast, seemed sure thats what it was as opposed to an std), it's just my symptoms seem so atypical to what i've found on the net.  maybe the yeast infection was just a coincidence, and this other is totally unrelated; i've read that women can have yeast infections with no symptoms at all.  

thoughts/comments?
Hello all, I cannot tell you how much reading your similar worries has oddlyl enough, given me a sense of relief that i am not alone.  I am a 24 years old and have had horrible yeast infections on/off for as long as I remember.  I know that they can commonly occur prior to the onset or during your period due to hormonal changes that cause the pH of the vagina to increase, making it more basic, and allowing bacteria to breed more easily.  I too recently thought it was herpes out of fear.  I had a new sex partner and was worried that he was cause of my my old pains/infections being exacerbated with some new symptoms. However, my symptoms presented about 1 month after our encounter and a large % of the time, your going to present within a week or less. Also, I tested negative prior to my encounter with him, many times and had the "paper cuts" prior to our sexual, one time encounter.  I have yet to get tested since them but I am going in a week or so and have sex with my current boyfriend since then and he presents with not a single symptom.  I think we can all relax about it being herpes.  I was in major discomfort on 8/4 and had to call the emergency on call doctor at my regular Ob/gyn office.  Just as a note, he seemed to be as concerned as to the underlying cause of my symptoms as all of your doctors seem to have been..and at that time my "paper cuts" were not even as severe or as numerous.  I now have about 3-4 at the base of the vagina, one in the perineum (skin between the vagina and the anus) and one on the anus; they are painful, can bleed if I move a certain way or God forbid I wipe them..ugh.  Anyway, I infomed her of my "typical" yeast infection symptoms of discharge, redness/swelling in the vulva...but this new found thing that looked like a heat rash at the base of the labia majora, on either side of the perineum and some slightly reddened skin higher up ..all of which was in areas of hair growth and NOTHING that resembled the "typical" look of herpes...but obviously I assumed it was and felt so nervous/anxious.  I told her that I started metronidazole prescribed previously by my gyn MD figuring it woud help when it actually got worse.  She told me....that Antibiotics + yeast infection = WORSE YEAST INFECTION and that my symptoms still presented as  Y.I. and to start vagisil OTC...not comfortable when you have your period too.  Anyway, when I said I was worried about herpes since these new found bumps in addition to my cuts..she said herpes can present as little cuts (great, adding to my worry) but that a severe Y.I. can present with a rash and cause such skin irritation that it can tear the skin.  She also added "if you had herpes, they're extremely painful (which mine are not) and you'll typically know you have them".  She said try the over the counter vagisil and keep my appointment for the 8/18.  My appt on 8/18 is with a new M.D. because I almost feel like I cannot trust my current Gyn because I am in constant distress, avoid sex and I feel horrible for my boyfriend who has been understanding....

So very concerned and I promise to keep you posted on my visit from the 18th or sooner if they can get me in.  So note...no antibiotics if you suspect an infection.  I will take all of your comments and suggestions into account when I visit with the new MD on the 18th and keep you all posted.  For the record, I saw a doctor at South Bay OB/Gyn in West Islip, New York on Long island preivously.  

I hope we can figure this out together ....it can really, and has already for me, ruined my life in a way because I am constantly in worry about STD's or that this will never get better

mindboggled --> did you ever get your bipsy results???

Promise to keep in touch,
soconfused, Long Island NY
I began having burning during urination this past January for the first time. After checking the area, I saw a white, shiny patch of skin on my perineum that was very dry, much like lichen. That then turned into very linear tears that would bleed slightly when wiped. The first doctor who saw me was a general practitioner and agreed with me that my symptoms looked like Lichen Sclerosis. I had done some internet research and the description of that matched my symptoms exactly. She referred me to a GYN, who I saw about a month later. She said it was not LS, although she decided this just by looking, and took a culture and had blood work ordered. The culture came back NEG for HSV, but the blood work was POS for it, as well as a high white cell count. She prescribed an antibiotic just in case I had an infection from the tears and Valtrex. Only after starting the Valtrex did I experience itching. The tears healed, although this was normal, as the tears usually healed in about 5 days before I even saw a doctor. When my symptoms kept returning, I saw another GYN, and he couldn't come up with another diagnosis other than HSV. I have a very minimal sexual past, as does my husband, and we have been monogamous for 12 years. Before January, neither of us had ever shown any of these symptoms before. My symptoms continue to exist, even though I've been taking Valtrex since January. When the itching begins again, I assume it's an outbreak and double up on the Valtrex as instructed by the doctor, but it doesn't ease the symptoms; they just run their course like always. I am calling the GYN clinic tomorrow to ask for a biopsy to check for LS. After reading the post from 7/23 regarding early stages of LS, I am thinking that my first hunch was correct. I'll post again after I've seen the doctor.
Yellowrunner,

Did you take a Herpes Select test for both  HSV 1 & 2?  I'm asking because I get those cuts as well and was tested for Herpes 1 and 2 and to my surprise they both came back positive (well, I was surprised with the positive result for 2). I started on the Valtrex and was doing o.k. for awhile, but then the cuts plagued me for  weeks on end (so how could this be herpes?? was my thought.)  After the diagnosis, I was pouring over the internet to find out as much info as I could on Herpes, BV and these crazy cuts we all get.  I read on the STD doctors forum that sometimes if you're positive for one and have a low result for two (b/t 1.1 and under 3.5) then your result for HSV-2 could be a false positive.  So I pushed to have another test done and lo and behold, it was negative.  Also, if your culture wasn't done on a fresh cut (within 48 hours), then it could come back negative. (I also had a culture done before my second test and it was negative.  Things that make you go hmmmm)

So, if any of this is true for you, then I recommend you have your dr put in an order for the HSV-2 IGg Herpes Select w/ref. to Inhibition.  Quest Diagnostics does it and the code is #17170.  Good Luck!

Also, I just read on another post that her dr told her Dove soap is known to cause this??  Her dr suggested Aveeno or Basic.  So now I'm curious girls...how many of us use Dove?  
I use dove soap
my symptoms seem to be slowly improving, to the point that they've almost gone completely (perhaps they'll return, but i haven't had the monthly symptom cycle some of you have been experiencing; mine has been pretty much constant since the symptoms first arrived).  i'm wondering if i might have seborrheic dermatitis on my vulva (same stuff that causes dandruff and cradle cap). see this link: http://www.lifespan.org/adam/healthillustratedencyclopedia/1/001445.html  -- that would explain the itchiness and the flaky skin by the hairline, and apparently it can occur in the genital area.  it also can be a chronic condition, with flareups.  as far as the fissure goes, mine seems to have disappeared over the last week and a half (and it had been pretty much constantly present the last two months).  maybe my cut was yeast related?    i know most of us have been seen by our dr.s or obgyns, but has anyone been to a dermatologist?  if so, what did the dermatologist say?  i wonder if it is a skin issue that just happens to be in the genital area rather than a genital issue in and of itself.  

what a crappy ailment.  never thought i'd spend so much time thinking about my vulva.  my thoughts are with you all.
:( i dont use dove.. but was using sauve body washes...  again... bath and body juniper breeze is a huge no no.. and no, i dont wash my peri area, but it just drips down i gather...  as for diet.. i do as i stated, eat way more sugar then i should.. and mostly chicken as far as meat goes.. drink milk every day... (wine coolers seem to set me off for a yeast infection.. ) i also use tide, and fabric sheets, bounce or snuggle...

my new guy thought maybe it was something he did.. thought maybe HIS body wash??? so he hasnt used it.. went out and bought ivory soap!! (how cute is he!!) we havent had an issue again yet.. but we have no idea what the solution was.. stopped the monotstat treatments?? stopped using tampons?? stopped using body wash both of us?? started using astro glide every time?? have put myself on estroven??

lets keep going.. maybe we will figure it out...
I have been giving myself daily apple cider vinegar and water rinse every day and it seems to help. I had noticed that the labia had turned almost a dark purple when it used to be pinkish. After using the ACV rinses the color is returning back to normal. I still itch some externally and feel a burning/dry sensation in the vagina but I have not had I a cut in over two weeks. The cuts have left a border type scar almost like a keloid.

Still praying for a true diagnosis so we can all be cured. No one seems to know what it is and my doctor is guessing what it is just like I am.

Best wishes to everyone
WOWZER! I am just in awe at this!! Its really crazy that we all  have this problem. I havent had my period in 2 months. I've taken a total of 6 urine tests at the docs office 5 at one and another at a complete different doc. I went to the separate doc cuz i was tired of taking all these pregnancy tests and wanted my birth control. So he has to do an examination in order to prescribe me pills. He says (after the exam) that I have a vaginal fissure, I had no clue you could get one there. I knew that you could in the anus. Besides the point, I do have cuts every so often but they dont stay long enough and for me it only burns after sex (actually after I pee...after sex). It was probably worse pain wise when i was younger. I think that maybe I've gotten so used to it that I've learned tricks to make it feel better. If it starts to burn during urination usually I'll wad up a whole mess of tp and put it in front of the 'cuts' to sort of sheild it from gettin inside of them. Sex is not necessarily painful...of course he's only my 3rd partner my first was my boyfriend of 5 years, 2nd someone I knew only a year...a fling if you will and 3rdly...my husband. (not all at once..lol). I find that if he (sorry for the explicity) "loosens" me up first with his fingers...or gives oral before intercourse, there is no pain at all. I always thought it was because I wore thongs all the time. I even started alternating style from full panties to boy shorts to thongs.

Sorry went off subject a bit.

So my doctor said it was vaginal fissures and he prescribed me glycanozole ( which is one applicator filled with cream) to use he said it would clear it up. He said if it didnt he would biopsy...and DEAR GOD...i read what someone said I biopsy was and almost fainted!! I dont wanna!! I'm afraid of needles.....

The doc did a wet culture of the area and found no yeast. he thinks it might be cancerous. Never heard even the slightest mention of herpes once.  I did tell him that I was on antibiotics about a month ago and got a yeast infection (actually i may have had one for awhile...i found out i had one when i went to the doc for my annual visit..the one i had to take 5 preg tests at). They gave me diflucan and it seemed better i guess.... it didnt seem diffferent inthe first place..just a bit itchy. ANyways....so we did the one treatment last night and my tummy kinda hurts ..bleh! speaking of which does anyone else feel like they got drop kicked in the ovaries when they do that pelvic exam???
i am 20 years old and have been having this issue for quite some time now. i've went to a doctor about it and she just told me to get a hydrocortisone cream and it would help make the areas not so sensitive. this did not help. she tested me for a yeast infection and i didn't have one. i have excessive discharge normally and i could have told her that wasn't what it was. i have also been diagnosed with type 1 genital herpes a while back but as someone mentioned the outbreaks and such are totally different from the tears and fissures. i also bleed a lot after goin number 2 from tearing. i remember a point in time when this did not happen to me so i have been brainstorming trying to figure it out and i can't take it anymore. i also have the itchiness all the time. sometimes even just my clitoral region itches. i am a very clean person but this stuff makes me feel so gross. i am so glad i am not the only experiencing this. i started to think i was since the doctor had no idea what to do. i cant afford to keep goin to the doctor right now though and i'm afraid to spend the money and her not do anything again. so frustrating.
First off, thank you to everyone who posted on this site! I was driving myself crazy with worry that it might be herpes. I guess antibiotics (for skin) + birth control (ortho tricyclen lo) + yeast infection = fissures.
Someone had asked about a good lubrication to use and I can highly highly recommend Millenium ID.  It's a silicone-based lubricant. I am an avid user of this product and I used to work in a Safe Sex Store (we go through a lot of training) and this stuff is proven best. Stay far away from KY or anything that tingles or warms if you have a sensitive vagina.  Millenium ID is definitely the way to go.
Good luck to everyone who posts and visits this site! and thanks again!
I'm 24, and I have been experiencing vaginal fissures since October 2006.  They first started when I got a yeast infection for the first time (which happened right after having sex for the first time).  Along with the itchiness from the infection, I noticed tiny cuts..like papercuts along the creases on either side of the vaginal opening, above the clitoris, and in the perineum area right below the vaginal opening.  I assumed they were caused by the irritation from the yeast infection.  They cleared up on their own as soon as the infection went away, and I figured that was the end of that.  However, they have been recurring every few weeks ever since then.  In addition, I am now getting anal fissures along with the vaginal ones.  It takes over a week..sometimes even two..for each episode to heal.  Along with the cuts, I experience itching and just general irritation and redness.  I've looked at myself with a mirror and can even see tiny red spots on the skin.  It also seems like the creases down there are getting more pronounced.  I never had ANY vaginal issues before all this and I am so discouraged.  I have been to the doctor several times, and I've been tested for herpes and vaginal warts and yeast so I don't have that.  I also feel extremely dirty down there, because I have a hard time cleaning due to the pain.  It feels excruciating to even touch, so I can't really wash much..I just rinse with water and kind of sponge off with a wet cloth.  Using soap is impossible.  I am so frustrated I cannot even describe.  Sex is out of the question due to this.  I just want to go back in time before all this began.  I feel that the yeast infection first set if off, whatever it is.  I went to a new doctor just last week, and she says that this is a common manifestation of gluten sensitivity.  She recommended a gluten-free diet for me.  I am definitely going to try this and see if it works, but I can't help but feel this is somehow yeast-related.  Maybe some odd strain of yeast or something.  Good luck to everyone with this.  
I definietly appreciate everyone's thoughts on this subject and hopefully with all these suggestions we'll come across a solution that works for all of us. However,  I'm shaking my head in frustration that all of our doctors seem to be coming up with something different each time. urgh!  From using Dove, to lube, to herpes, yeast and now gluten. I will do some research on the gluten issue as that is in sooo much and many of us are exposed to that.  (some of the others just don't fit...not all of us use Dove,  we've been checked and double checked for herpes, etc.  So thanks everyone for keeping all the possibilities coming!

Also, for all of you trying to kep track of this thread and other, I wanted to be sure you knew of the knew and improved way of doing this.  You can click "Watch this discussion at the the top" and then when you log in, look to the very top of the page and it should say "My medhelp".  Yea for the site administrators for making it easier to find the threads we're tracking!
ugh, me too. i had this problem about 4 years ago - lasted almost TWO YEARS - i went into a weird remission for about 2 years and now it's rearing it's ugly head again. yeast is the issue every flare up. and it's persistent yeast too.  typically when i get a yeast infection i don't get the cottage cheese discharge type deal and i don't even get that itchy.  the first night it's itchy as hell, and then begins the stinging and what must be cuts.  last time i got a yeast infection was in february or so. it sucked, i got the paper cut stings and i took an OTC and that made it hurt like hell, but then a few days later i was good.  till now - yeast again, and i've taken two 3 day canestens and just took a diflucan. my body is reacting. i read somewhere that yeast as it's dying releases more toxins into the system - or something. hopefully it's dying, cause i hurt.  I haven't even TOLD my boyfriend about this yet.. when it happened the first time I was with a different boyfriend.  

I am crossing my fingers and praying that the diflucan pays off.  I'm eating mass yogurt and doing acidophilus too.  By the way, the first time this ever happened, I was diagnosed with yeast.  After I started treating the yeast it would go away and then when i stopped the treatment I would flare up again.  I think my body was just so out of whack.  Mine seemed to go with my cycle - my periods would be absolutely fine - well except for the cramps - and then it would start up again.

I'm glad to find people who know what I'm dealing with here.  Well, who are at least dealing with the same thing.  Keep posting and best of luck, ladies.
oh yeah and i'm std free - on orthotriclin...went off the pill the first time i went through this and it didn't make a difference... then went back on the pill about 2 years ago.
OMG - Your situation sounds just like mine. I too get this monthly vaginal pain that is cyclic. I get relief during the week of my period and then it gradually builds up again. I do not itch or have irregular discharge; instead the pain feels more like a burning or rawness and my vaginal area occassionally throbs. I am STD free (I have been tested for everything multiple times) and screens and cultures for yeast, BV, and UTIs have come back negative. I first started feeling this pain during a time when I was on antibiotics for an unrelated condition. I took an OTC medicine and it went away. However, it has returned and OTC meds are no longer working. In fact, they made me feel worse.

The doctors tell me that this is not related to yeast, but I think there may be some connection. Is it possible to have yeast issues (hypersensitivity) even if it is not being detected on typical screens? Around this same time, I also developed angular cheilitis, an inflammatory condition of the mouth that causes the skin at the corners of my mouth to crack and burn. Yeast is one of the common causes of this condition. I know most doctors don't believe in systemic yeast problems, but could it be a possibility?

I just recently went off of the pill to see if that was affecting my system. It has been a few weeks and I haven't noticed any changes as of yet...

I have an appointment with a gynecologist this next week and I am hoping to find some answers! If I find out anything new, I will be sure to post the info for you ladies!
I have been having the same problem...papercut like tears on my labia....I'm wondering if its ulcer...do any of you drink a lot of pop..I'm wondering if its from that and causing my urine to be overly acidic and causing these tears...that may be the problem for all of us...it may be ulcers from acidic urine

I'm only 26 and only been w/two guys..lost my virginity @ 25 and the 2nd guy is the one I'm going to marry...hes my soulmate...both guys are STD free so I can't have an STD...I did have vaginitis about 4-6 months ago (but I didn't have any tears) I'm wondering if it could be that again...I personally think its some kind of ulcers from my urine being to acidic (my mom thinks the same thing and she is an LPN)...I'm a college student in the medical field and I believe it to be ulcers but doesn't mean I can't be wrong...If it is ulcers it has to be from pop...I drink a lot of pop (Diet Dr. Pepper) Or it could be from my bf having acidic semen/urine and from his penis touching my labia...or maybe the lubrication on the condoms? I'm also a vegetarian and don't think that would have anything to do with it...anyone have any ideas or have any answers?
Forgot to add...the detergent I use it tide free (free of dyes perfumes, etc)...I have to use tide free when it comes to washing underwear...I'm very sensitive and if I use regular detergent on my underwear I get itchy down in the vaginal area...using the tide free detergent has stop that...but I don't understand where the tears are coming from...I have never used tampons (I'm allergic to rayon (which they use in tampons))...I don't duche never have and never will (because our bodies have a natural cleaning system and duche interupts that and can cause lots of infections and other problems)..I use lever 2000 bar soap but have been using that for many years and these paper like tears I have had twice in the past 2-3yrs
I'm not sure if your urine is the problem.  But it might be a good idea to cut pop out of your diet in general.  If you think it's the condom or the lubrication, you can do a couple things.  First, to test if you have a latex allergy, wear a bandaid under your armpit for a day. If you develop a rash, you could have an allergy to latex (but check with a doc).  Secondly, make sure you're not using spermicide.  Spermicide is a harsh detergent that will dry out your skin.  If you are using Trojan condoms, I recommend switching to Durex or Lifestyles. Trojan uses water-based lube on their condoms whereas Durex and Lifestyles do not (assuming you don't buy the "natural lubrication" kind).  Water-based lube is really bad if you have a sensitive vulva (ky is water-based) b/c the water-based lubes dry and become sticky (even during intercourse) and can track bacteria. Switch to a silicone-based lube like Millenium ID and switch condom brands.  This might relieve some of the problems, but I'm not certain it will completely eliminate all fissures.  Since the silicone-based lube is so safe, you might try applying a *small* amount during the day. My old boss (the owner of the safe sex store) uses Millenium ID on cuts all over her body and they heal so much faster. I would definitely not use any soap on your vagina, just use warm water.  I hope this helps a bit. Good luck!
I am totally convinced this is due to yeast, that resists typical over the counter meds.  When I take any yeast medication, the first day is bruuutal, and then I start to feel better to the point of even symptomless. But then it comes back, slowly but surely.  Even for people who are saying they didn't have yeast, a lot of them are mentioning being on anti biotics at the time this started. What do antibiotics cause? Yeast Infections.  

I have been reading a lot about Candida and how it can totally ravage your body - that yeast infection creams and most OTC stuff cures only the symptoms but if you don't treat the root cause, you will probably never get rid of it completely. Everyone has a certain amount of yeast, the issue is I think we're all just off in our balance and it's causing this crappy reaction in us.  

A lot of times, yeast won't show up in cultures. If you read medical studies they all seem to say the rate is less than perfect and that it's actually very easy to culture negative but in fact be positive.  The last time I had this I only tested positive the first time - the thing that brought it all on - and negative every time after that - after I had taken one or so OTC.   I did a million different things trying to fix this the last time - I went hardcore - cortisone cream, different prescription creams and diflucan on a maintenance dose, acupuncture, biofeedback - ridiculous.  God bless the Canadian Health Care system.  Hard to say what worked, but I eventually drove it away for over two years.

I've been stressed lately, it's been super humid and gross and sweaty, my diet has sucked more than usualy, so hey yeast infection!  felt better with canesten.. then it came back.. felt better again.. came back... now i'm onto the diflucan and any kind of probiotic i can get my hands on.  day one on diflucan was terrible.  this is day two, and! much better! we shall see how day three does.

anyway, i will be shocked if this isn't yeast, regardless of what any culture tells me. i was reading some other stuff about candida that say it can also contribute to or cause sinutis which i also have and man, if i could lick this via antifungals hardcore and naturopathic stuff, aaaaannnnd lessen my sinus issues...

so.. i'm on the "yeast is the culprit" train.  would love to hear other thoughts...
I think it is also a yeast issue, although doctors keep dismissing me. I didn't know that yeast could cause sinus issues; I just thought mine were due to an increase in allergies. I'm going to the doctor this next week, and I am going to insist that they give me some medications to combat yeast...

If she offers any other info or possible causes I will be sure to post them...

What probiotics have you found useful??
Hi Ladies sorry Ive been gone soo long.  Here is an update on me though I have been symptom free for over a month now (still using estrogen cream 3 times a week and steroid cream once a day).
The papers I got from the clinic dont say any thing except that you should use estogen cream and/or steroid cream.  They mention Lichen's, Vulvadynia, Candida, and Itch scratch cycles.
However it does NOT give any of the symptoms it says to call the clinic to set an appt.

The yeast infection idea is one that my doc also had and sent in cultures for rare yeast I got the results for that today and all was NEGATIVE.  

All of the above diseases are first noticed by cuts, swelling, burning, itching and LOW ESTROGEN levels.

Please ladies do yourselves a favor and get some estrogen supplement.  You can order some really good creams online or ask your doc for one if no script coverage ask for Estrace it is the cheapest one and works the same.  Good luck all.

itsnotjustme- Glad to hear your still doing good, My weekends have been pretty great lately too.  It has been nice to not feel guilty when my husband is home we can have sex again.
for those of you looking for a good probiotic, I've been using Fem-dophilus by Jarrow (recomended by Grace, a nurse on the STD site.)  Look it up...there's been some good studies done on how this specifically targets which flora is the good kind, etc.  Its supposed to help stablilize the region down there.  So far, its helped with my BV issues!  It can be found in the refrigerated section of your local health food store. Mine comes in a pink box! Keep it refrigerated though!  

My vote as to why we're having these issues is: its a hormonal issue!  It has to be...I mean really, what "Thing" could we ALL be eating, using, etc   I was intrigued by the possibility that someone suggested of gluten being the culprit, but after seeing the diet I'd have to go by to be gluten free, I decided I'm going to have to suffer on!  I'd starve doing the gluten free thing!  More power to those that can stick to that!
and BTW, I do think if you have BV or a yeast infection it could stir these cuts up a bit...after all, the flora down yonder is out of balance so it makes perfect sense.  For those of us that suffer from it without yeast, I think it does have something to do with our estrogen levels. Does anybody else suffer from hormonal migraines?  
First off, I just want to say that it is a relief to know that I'm not the only one going through both the symptoms of this and the frustrations of dealing with doctors who don't have answers. It is so nice to find a community of women talking about this.

I first had vaginal tears before I was sexually active, but they re-emerged a lot about 3 years ago when I started taking Yasmin and getting frequent yeast infections. I was tested for STDs and diabetes and was eventually diagnosed with "chronic yeast infections." (maybe this fits with what you are asking, m2w&l) I took Diflucan weekly for 6 months and switched to Apri, but that still didn't clear up the tears and itching once I stopped taking the Diflucan. So, I finally switched doctors, tried a couple other things, and am currently on a "no period" perscription. I noticed some other people saying that their symptoms seem to really happen right before/after their period...this was the same for me, so my doctor thought I should try Nuva Ring (it's the lowest hormone dose birth control available) and leave it in for 4 weeks at a time to skip my periods. I've found some success with this, but still get some of the symptoms when I get spotting. Although I'm not totally in the clear, this is the best it's been in several years, so there's hope. Someone earlier mentioned tracking their symptoms on a calendar and I think this is a great idea..I think I will try it and at a minimum hope it will reinforce my doctor's idea that I am serious about this being awful and wanting to fix it.

Just curious...saw some mention about dermatologists in previous posts. I have an appointment set up with a dermatologist for an unrelated issue, but I'm wondering if it is worth bringing this up. Has anyone had success with dermatologists?
Hello to you all, Ive been reading this forum for the past two weeks because ive had the same symptoms, itchiness paper cut like fissures. I freaked out thinking it was herpes but I got the blood test and the culture that both came back negative.  The nurse practitioner I saw diagnised me with atrophic vaginits after looking at my d/c under the microscope and seeing immature epithelial cells.
Im 26 and have chronic bv, never had too many problems with yeast infections.  Havent been on birth control for 4 years.  I do use summers eve wash. I dont use condoms.  I run 3 miles a day and dont ever drink soda(pepper I think your safe <:)  I think it has to be a hormonal thing although ive been using estrogen cream for the past month and it hasnt really helped.

Oh, and both times this happened it was the week before my period started.
I had no success with a dermatologist and I went to one that is actually known for her work with vulvar issues.  She put me on cortisone cream - didn't work.  And gave me amitryptaline (elavil), which really, all it does is help cut off the pain signal before it hits the brain. It also has a ton of crappy side effects like making you sleepy, you're not supposed to drink on it, you develop a tolerance to it, it takes a while to wean off it.  The only good thing she did was keep writing me Diflucan prescriptions.

I'm still on the "this is yeast" train.  I've had some pretty bad die-off reaction since I took the Diflucan on Monday, but it's starting to settle down -- I decided to hold off on the second Diflucan till my body settles down.  I've been reading about die-off and basically the word is with anti-yeast meds sometimes you get worse before you get better.  And that means the yeast is dying, but the toxins are released into the body, and with hardcore meds like Diflucan, you sometimes may kill them faster than you can eliminate them (I'm a once a day only kinda girl...)  Soo, I'm trying to flush my system... and then, I'll see if I need the second Diflucan.  Symptoms are a lot more tolerable now.  I'm taking acidophilus and eating yogurt like nobody's business.

I read on another thread about some test you can do for candida where you leave a glass of water out all night, spit into it first thing in the morning and if it's stringy, it likely means yeast.  I'm gonna try it tonight.   I definitely have some of the other symtoms (symptoms), so I'm going to try to starve out this yeast before it gets strong again.  I'll get my period next week, and the week after should be the moment of truth, it's either back or not.
I went to the Dr 3 weeks ago because sex w/ my boyfriend was very painful. It had been painful for about a month off and on. So I finally go, and right away she says, "you have a tear right at the opening".  She prescribed Estrace 0.01% cream and neosporin day and night, a diflucan because there was some yeast from the sample she took under the microscope and advised no sex for 10 days. On another note, i feel no pain, itching, burning, etc from this cut. The only pain i feel is when i have sex.  3 weeks go by, my BF and I have sex last night-It didnt hurt but it didnt feel normal either. I went to the bathroom to clean up and their was blood on the toilet paper.  I looked @ the cut and it was red and raw. Sooooooooooo im going back to the gynocologist on Monday. This is such a pain! Not to sure what the heck is going on. Below is some info on me?

Birth control-Midocon
Monogamus relationship for 4 years
Herpes-Yes, 1 outbreak that i am aware of. Confirmed via culture from dr.
Very stressed
Condoms-Yes
KY-Yes

I am almost 100% certain that this is yeast related.

Last time I was at the doctor's office for my IC treatment, and was experiencing the symptoms as it was a week before my period, the nurse took one look at me and told me I had some yeast present.  She gave me a prescription and I have had no problems since.  This is despite having sex multiple times over the last three weeks or so.

Next week is the week before my period, and if the symptoms do not come back, it will be for the first time in nearly a year.

My symptoms also started at a time when I was on a few courses of antibiotics.

In fact, my first bout with these cuts many years ago, which was diagnosed as herpes, was at a time when I was on an extremely strong sequence of antibiotics and had gotten a yeast infection as a result.

Over the counter yeast creams burned and made the problem worse.

When I initially went to the doctor to tell him I had a recurrent yeast infection, he refused to believe me.

It took his female nurse (on a day when he was not in), to realize what I had been saying for three months!

If you can't get your doctor to prescribe something for the yeast because your cultures are coming up negative, buy it on the internet!
Is clobetasol a corticosteroid?  Are you still taking that?

I'm currently applying 2.5% Hytone 3 times per week, both on my vulva and in my vaginal canal.  There are times when I feel some slight burning following sex, but I put some Hytone on it and the symptoms go away.  This treatment program seems to be working for me.  I feel terrific.  For a while there I thought my sex life was over....having this problem makes you realize what's important in life.
I still have the clobetasol (which is a corticosteroid) and I will apply it if I need it, but I have not used it in weeks since I have no symptoms right now.  This is what I was told to do by the nurse.
At this point (knock on wood), things are back to normal for me.

So you've never got a diagnosis?  Has a doctor ever suggested what this might be?

Mine suggested LS, but said he couldn't biopsy to say for sure...the Tx program I'm on is how you'd treat LS.
I happened upon this chat room while doing research on vaginal fissures.  As with everyone, I was relieved to find that this is a common problem amongst women and that I am not alone in this struggle.  My situation is that I am prone to these fissures following intercourse and that they usually heal within a week.  However, I also have a history of yeast infections and have tested positive for HSV-1.  I have become increasingly frustrated with these fissures and have been beating myself up about it for years, thinking that they could be outbreaks of herpes (although they feel different and heal quickly).  I haven't had any tests run on them, but I am wondering if anyone has found anything conclusive.
Okay i have recurrent bladder AND yeast infections (not so much yeast anymore) but i have these things to not bad anymore but still.. and i am pretty sure i have had a yeast infectino the whole time for months and months, i dont have the symptoms but i do have it and i know i do. ive taken thigns but it still hasnt gone away so i just leave it casue its not bugging me. but that could be what they are from. i got checked for herpes to and nothing so it cant be that/ but it has to be something and its such an annoyance
so, I've been taking one capsule a day of Fem-dophilus (by Jarrow), got off the Loestrin birth control and have to say my region has been pretty good...even after sex!  Just thought I'd let everyone know in case the Fem-dophilus is what is helping to balance out the flora.  If none of the other things you are trying seem to work, try this stuff...I think they're on to something!
Basically, about a year ago I found out I had HPV, thanks to the ex who didn't know he had it. I was misdiagnosed with a yeast infection first, then broke out...waiting maybe too long/too scared to go to the gyno. I was 18 then and felt like I shouldn't have to go through this!!!! But anyways, i got treated and didn't think much more of it. About 6 months later, i started a new relationship and sex was always painful/stung upon entry. The area between my anus and vaginal opening (not sure what the specific name would be) also stung. BUT...i didn't have any pain other than starting/after sex. Sometimes having sex when there was more lubrication.., i wouldn't feel any pain..but recently, I don't want to have sex period!
I'd been told before that i had two lines, almost like scars, on either side of that area where i'm sore. I didn't think anything of it. Two nights ago I had sex, and checked out the area the morning after really worried! Noticed three lines, tears..looking like little cuts, maybe a centimeter long each. Sex is so frustrating with my boyfriend and I. (He's well endowed also.) Does anyone else with this problem feel like they're letting their partner down?? ug. Half the time i cant even finish sex!! If any ladies have suggestions about how to go about this, or even if they think it might be related to latex in condoms, please let me know! My past relationship, i'm sorry to say, didn't always involve a condom...hence HPV. stupid. but..no pain then. Why now? Advice!???? much appreciatedd
First of all, I hesitate to say what I'm going to say b/c I don't want it to sound like an unsympathetic repsonse or whatever b/c I feel like I definitely know what you mean with painful sex. But, based on the info you gave me and assuming you're not suffering from vulvodynia or some other painful disorder let me make a few suggestions.  First, definitely try to let the cuts heal.  Nothing worse than vaginal or even oral sex for that matter with cuts. Secondly...lube obviously.  Finally,  I've found that in the recent past, I was so worked up about sex being uncomfortable that without thinking I was very tense which of course didn't make insertion or the act very comfortable.  The next time I probably seemed like a dead fish at first, but really was concentrating on being relaxed and it seemed to help.  do you feel like you're anxious about it hurting?  Perhaps next time you can see what your mind is thinking.  As to your question about letting your partner down.  Definitely.  And my husband has been so understanding, but I still feel so much pressure to perform!  UGH.
I recently read on the internet (I posted about it on someone else's question) that scientists have discovered new types of fungal infections, maybe these new types of fungus need new types of antifungal creams? I hope a treatment is not far off for you guys and it seems there are a lot of women suffering this condition. I really feel for you all.
I wouldn't doubt it.  I just asked Nurse Grace on the STD site why it seems that every time my husband gives me oral sex, he seems to get a little pimple type/canker sore on the tip of his tongue and I feel itchy (even after washing)??  Its just strange.  But, its not worth making an appt and paying the $ for them to tell me they have no clue. ( I wish I could make that much money every time I couldn't answer one of my 5 year olds questions! ha ha)

thanks for the idea though...its something to check into
Hey ladies,

Well, I went to see a gynecologist today. She did a pH test and took more swabs for culture. Once again, nothing showed up under the microscope - no detectable yeast, BV, or other organisms. However, the doctor noted an increase in my white blood cells, which makes her think that I have inflammation occuring. She put me on clindamycin suppositories. I have to insert two a night for two weeks. I know this is double the normal dose, and I'm really not looking forward to getting a full blown yeast infection from this. I feel like I'm in one awful cycle over here...

I just thought I would see if you all have any words of advice to offer. I suggested that this all might be hormone related but no one has tested my hormones as of yet...

The last time I saw my doctor, she seemed to think it was hormone related because my symptoms tend to get worse with my period. Cutting down on my period by continually taking birth control has helped with some of the symptoms (itch, discharge), but the cuts still happen if i am spotting. i'm going to do some journal tracking of my own to see if the cuts really do get worse at that time. I have also been told by a couple of doctors that the hormone fluxuations that come with your period are associated with changes in yeast levels. so..maybe it is an interaction of the two?
Thanks for the advice regarding which test to ask for. I've recently been referred to a new GYN, and I plan to demand this type of test. I am a military dependent, and the clinic I attended before doesn't offer anything other than just your basic blood test to determine HSV 1 or 2. My appointment is Monday, so I'll report back after I get some results and information that might help others of you.
I went to see my doctor here in the UK to talk about my history of vaginal tearing and possible causes/treatment. When I got a bad tear just pulling on a pair of jeans I thought enough was enough! I volunteered the theory about estrogen levels and she wasn't convinced. She said that she saw this problem in pre-pubescent girls, much older women and all ages in between and whilst she didn't rule out variations in symptoms as a result of the menstrual cycle, was more inclined to link it to yeast infections.

She suggested the following treatment strategy:

1) Try and rule out a dermatological explanation. If this is a recent problem can it be traced to changes in personal hygiene products, washing powders, shampoo etc?
2) If 1) can be discounted then move to the assumption that it is yeast related. She recommended using only Aqueous Cream as a body cleanser. No soap. No shower gels etc. Only the aqueous cream. You can still use your normal shampoo when showering but just be careful what nooks and crannies it is getting into. In the UK you have to ask the pharmacist for aqueous cream - they tend to keep it behind the counter with the other washes designed for eczema and dermatitis - but it is really cheap (£2 something for a large tub).  She then prescribed a 1% anti-fungal + 1% hydrocortisone cream to be applied to the affected bits twice per day. And recommended the generous application of lubrication during sex.
3) If 2) doesn't result in an improvement after 14 days then make an appointment to be tested for all the common vaginal infections and STDs.
4) If the vaginal swabs come back clear then make an appointment to see the doctor again and discuss the possibilities for referral to a specialist regarding possible hormonal causes or dermatological problems.

She told me that she rarely gets patients who get to step 3 because 95% of cases respond to the first couple of approaches outlined. I was skeptical (I've had systemic thrush infections in the past and this didn't feel the same thing at all) but the combined thrush/hydrocortisone cream and using aqueous cream as my body wash seems to have sorted the problem. I have also started taking a "Well Woman" multivitamin and hormone balancing supplement and am feeling much better. No tears thus far and I'm starting to feel confident that they aren't something I just have to live with...
yea, i'm a dependent too and decided when we transferred to go Prime and deal with the bills.  Just hated that it was so difficult to get an appt and absolutely NO continuity of care (in my case anyway...which annoyed me cause you'd have to rehash everything each and every time with somebody new.  UGH! oh well, can't complain I guess..at least we have benefits!

Hope you get what you need.  Keep us informed!  :)
My biopsy said it was dermatitus... I dunno if that helps anybody.  It certainly doesn't help me because I have ruled out so many things for it to be an allergic reaction.  I really hate dr's because they don't seem to care.  If they can't diagnose it in 10 mins or give you a pill or some cream for it they don't want anything to do with you.

When I got my biopsy result I talked to the doctor for a bit trying to throw out ideas and next steps...she actually had the gaul to say to me:  "Well I've been talking to you for 10 mins now and I don't think anything I'm going to say is going to make you happy."  She really almost made me cry because these stupid papercuts are just getting to me.

As for Rooster Girl's post, I'm at stage 4... what's next. :)

Getting a sympathetic doctor is such a lottery. I went to see my regular doctor a year ago with a bad case of gastroenteritis and he pulled his chair to the furthest corner of the room, put on rubber gloves and then sprayed the door handles I had touched with disinfectant declaring that "he didn't want to catch it!". Honestly, why be a doctor if you have the people skills of a plank?

I didn't want to go to the doctor about the vaginal tears. I was worried that the doctor would be dismissive or tell me I was fussing over nothing. My husband was incredulous at this attitude and sees it as 'very female'. His words? "If I had a cut on my penis that meant that it hurt when I walked, that I had to be careful when I put on clothes, that stung when I peed and ruined sex for me do you think that I would be sitting there worrying what the doctor thought of me?  I'd be raising hell until they sorted it out or made me an appointment with someone who could."

I think sometimes we are too well-behaved for our own good. :)
You could be right... I think we all need to say where we live and a bunch of us go to the same doctor... 1. so they can see there are lots of people that get it and 2. make them realize they need to figure out what this is.

My mother has a disease called IC (innercysticial cystitis) and before she was diagnosed with it it was a very new disease that nobody knew anything about and everyone thought all the women were crazy.

Maybe we've all got something that is new... I dunno... just brainstorming.
Ladies, Just checking in to let everyone know that My cuts have been gone for quite some time now and sex is wonderful again. I am not even using the creams any more.
I did find through out my experience that there are many reasons this could happen but all of the reasons require using estrogen cream and some form of steroid for these cuts to heal. However finding the cause is more important so if you are trying to self cure GO TO THE DOCTOR.  

I myself had a staff infection from a spider bite.

I wish you all the best of luck. Happy healing.
ive been dealin with the same bs for about 2 months now. my bf lived in georgia and he came to visit and i had pain during sex and i noticed tears also and it itched so i used monistat because i thought it was a yeast infection. the tears went away. now he has moved here and after 3 days of having sex the tears came back worse than the first time. im going to school to be an RN and i never get sick looking at any gross stuff but when i saw them in the mirror i got sick and started crying. it just doesn't look normal. i tried antibiotic ointment and it helped a little but they didn't go away. the first time i had them the doctor did all the std tests and my boyfriend also had them done and everything was negative. now ive had them for 2 weeks and im going to the doctor in an hour. but now i don't even want to go since ive read that no doctors actually found out what it was for any of you. i really hope they figure it out this time and i will definately let you all know what happens. i feel your pain literally. good luck to everyone with this problem.
Just a quick update -

After another round of swabs and cultures, everything is still coming up negative. All my gynecologist can find is white blood cells under the microscope. She put me on two weeks of clindamycin suppositories in case I have BV, but neither she nor I really think there will be a change in my symptoms. She thinks that I have non-infectious vaginitis, possibly an allergy or nerve issue that is causing my pain and inflammation. The next step will likely be some steroids for me. I am also going to see if I can get some estrogen cream to help with the minor skin tearing that I am dealing with...
OH MY GOSH ITS ABOUT TIME! I have been dealing with the HORRIBLE burning and tearing and NOONE can figure out what the heck it is! I have had EVERY TEST DONE and still no idea! I am 26 years old, married.

I am on a steroid cream that helps and heals it BUT I CAN NOT LIVE ON IT! I want to know the source of it! I feel so much better that there is other women out there that have the same problem!
I wonder if we all have something in common.....Things we do, use ???

I have PCOS and hypoglycema, also an intolerance to glueten.

I use Cheer to wash my clothes, use dove soap the hypo one.

I have irregular periods! Could it be hormones??????

I just want to know what it is I am so boggled! So is my doctor. The only thing that helps is the steroid ointment! It will go away, but it always comes back!
This forum has been really helpful to me.  I hope my experience will be helpful to someone else.  I had a bad yeast infection that went critical on august 10th (today's the 30th).  Of course it was saturday, so I couldn't see the doc until Monday.  She was really good, and prescribed diflucan, the anti-fungal pill.  I took it that afternoon.  It took a week before I felt pretty good.  My husband and I had sex, but it wasn't too enjoyable for me.  I thought I was just still tender.  I had to go out of town for a week, and had my period, and felt better, so when I got back we tried again.  That was august 25th.  I didn't want to let him down but it hurt.  Next morning it hurt even worse, and I took a look with a magnifying mirror.  Besides everything looking redder than it should, which it had ever since the yeast infection, I had two shallow cuts, like paper cuts.  One was about an inch and a half long, between the inner and outer labia, and the other was shorter but wider, and right at the base of the vaginal opening, where the labia meet.  The cuts were very sensitive (painful!) to touch, and the flesh underneath felt swollen.  
I started doing some research.  I am a cell biologist, which is helpful in understanding some of what I read, but there's not a lot out there.  On Aug 26th I read through this forum completely, along with some other web resources.  I decided I must still have a low level yeast infection, and that the cuts must be related to that.  I'd already had the pill, so I tried the following for three nights in a row:  One tablespoon of vinegar in two cups of water, poured over the vulva in several washes from a dixie cup, followed by use of the three-day over-the-counter yeast treatment.  The next morning the long cut was more than half healed, and the outer surface of the labia was already normal color!!  I did the same for two more nights.  the second morning the long cut was gone and the short, wide one was down to about the size of the head of a pin, and all the surfaces I could see in the mirror were a healthy pink, not angry red.  I am amazed at how fast this happened.  Today, I'm all healed up.  I'm a little apprehensive about sex, but also anxious after all the abstinence.
After reading all the posts here, I think the cuts may be a reaction to inflammation, regardless of what causes the inflammation.  For me it was yeast.  lil2blunt had a staph infection, which you can't treat at home.  Both steroid (cortisone) and estrogen cream will reduce inflammation, but not treat the cause.  Other things that cause inflammation are allergy, traumatic injury, and sensitivity reaction.  A sensitivity reaction is like an allergy, but can be to anything that's used too much, like soap, deodorant, or even medication!  I had a sensitivity reaction to the yeast medication three years ago, and it felt as bad as the yeast infection.  It went away when I stopped trying to treat it.
Bottom line, there can be many causes of inflammation, so the same treatment won't work for all of us.  You need to find out what can be causing inflammation for you.
I hope you are all successful, and that others like me find this forum and know that what they have is normal.  It's so weird that modern medicine has not even recognized this, let alone figured out the cause/cure.
I'm soo glad I found this..with everyone saying that its NOT herpes and maybe a yeast infection or intercourse or something that we're doing wrong...

I've been gettting these "paper cuts" since the begining of this summer..very painful of course and bleed a little on tissue. They come and go every so often. At the begining of this month, I was itching and buring soo much it was killing me..so I took a shower and rinsed my vaginal area with warm water. Once I got out, another different pain was forming where my flap, or the lips are. I decided to check it in the mirror and my entire left side of the whole thing was completely inflammed! It scared me too much ..it was soo inflammed and my heart just stopped. Thats when I knew something serious was wrong rather than just b/c my boyfriend might of ripped me open during sex.

The inflammed part went away the next day...Thankfully, I havent got it anymore. Although, I still continue to get the tears inside the vaginal lips..on the sides always in the crease.

I went to go get tested with my boyfriend a week ago, but they couldn't test anything without that cut that had decided to go away for a few days but yet, come back again..

Everytime the papercuts appear, its in the evening...so we schedule for an appointment the following day except when I wake up, they're gone again.

Right now, I just notice I have a paper cut on my butt crack..might sound weird. I'm not sure if any of you have got this before, but its above the anus not that close to it.

I also thought it could be a yeast infection, it still could be. One day I bought this cream for Vaginal Itching and Burning and Redness, and sure enough it all went away..EXCEPT for the tears!

I'm 17 and I've only had sex with one person; my current boyfriend. On the other hand my boyfriend lost his virginity to a girl that went around..he didnt use a condom.

We always use a condom but we also do oral ...thats where it could also be a possibility for herpes. Now I havent had any sores, no fever..nothing to the extreme. Just the itching, burning, redness, and tears...which also could be a yeast infection.

Ah please, I just need an answer...
What is it?!
Viewing 1-200 comments: