Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures
For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
I have been having this exact same problem for months!!  I tried everything I could think of and nothing help.  I finally went back to the doctors yesterday and he hesitantly gave me a prescription for Estrace.  I am 30 yrs old, he does not think this is the problem but will let me try.  He also ran a test for a strange rare yeast and sent it to the lab. We will see. I'm very hopefully the estrogen will work, my skin feels like it needs some help rebuilding or healing. If not I'm to go see a vulva specialist.
Any thing else you can tell me about your situation?  How long did you try the estrogen, was it cream or oral?
I have been having the same problem for a month, I thought it was because I very seldom wear any underwear. But after a couple weeks of trying not wear them no changes; I am still wondering if maybe I am allergic to my razor and gel. I tear all the time and the itching in almost everyday out of the blue it will itch so bad and I know I can't itch cause then I just tear and then bleed and then it just hurts more. I could really use some help, I just lost my insurance so I don't want to go running to the doctor, also I just was at the doctors and found out I have HPV could this have something to do with all the itching and tearing also?? Please help me I'm going crazy here!
Hi I've been dealing with this same problem also, for quite some time. It seems to be getting more frequent that I have fissures or cracks in the perineum area. I had always used witch hazel to heal up the fissures but that doesn't seem to work any more, in fact I'm wondering if I'm making the problem worse. I've been doing some research online and see that Drs. prescribe  topical corticosteroid ointment, also read about trying lanolin cream or hydrogenated vegetable oil, thought I'd give that a shot. The skin seems to be so thin and cracks very easily, I do experience burning sometimes during sex also. I also would appreciate any help on this matter.
omg i am so glad i am not the only one with this problem...recently i have had a fissure and it is soooo bad..i went to the drs nearly in tears asking for help..he gave me antibiotics and nystatin and triamcinolone cream  i have been on this cream over 5 days and no progress.  the fissure is at the top of the hood area and therefore cracks open again every time i sit down to pee or wash or get up from sitting on the floor..i switched to wearing boxer shorts all day and night and no help there..god does anyone have any helpful ideas?!!!!
jnw for one in that area I found it helps to keep it shaved
Here's a group I wish I wasn't a member of but I know exactly what your talking about. It feels like a razorblade when you do something a simple and gentle as wipe. I almost dread sex due to the pain an knowing it will result in new tears. I'm going to see a new GYN in 2 weeks I hope he can tell me something.
By the way- I've found that Desitin(for baby diaper rash) works good at coating so air and toilet tissue aren't so painful.
me again..been to the docs again he put me on 20days of keflex and gave me two different creams ..the first one a nystatin type cream didnt seem to help much but the second cream has helped tremendously..its called clobetasol propionate ointment .05%  this seems to have worked alot by using morning and night..wearing boxer shorts only and during the day keeping triple antibiotic ointment on the fissure..hope this helps..finally getting some relief myself!!!
I'm really not sure if I experienced the exact same thing, but the paper cut-like tear is something I experienced after childbirth (along with anal fissures). It hurt to urinate and it was only one cut - I can only imagine the pain with many. I called my ob thinking one of my stitches opened. I went in and a suture was removed because it was not dissolving and one of the nurses suggested dabbing Neosporin on it. She said it would help to heal as well as create a barrier to help lessen the pain when urinating. This particular thing worked for me. The cut (in the perinuem) healed and I have not had an issue since. The anal fissures, on the other hand, is something I am still dealing with.  I went to a gastroenterologist and she put me on antibiotics and Nitroglycerin ointment. This seems to be working, but slowly. I also had a colonoscopy and upper-GI/lower bowel series which impeded healing. The Nitroglycerin gives you a bit of a headache, but it is better than the alternative. I also take Colace daily and stay on a high fiber diet and drink a LOT of water. I hope this helps a little - I didn't realize so many others are suffering from similar issues. Best of luck to all of you.
Thank God I'm not the only one with this problem.  I've been trying to research this all day because after going to the doctor she thought it was herpes, but the results came back negative.  I had a tear almost probably about an 1/2 long right between my vagina and anus.   It burns sooo bad to wipe, pee, if I move and stretch the area in that skin.  It happens after sex with my boyfriend, probably because sometimes we are rough, and there isn't enough lubrication.  I have to wait a few days until it has healed to have sex again.  The doctor isn't much help, she was hell-bent on thinking it was herpes.  If anyone finds anything out, or what can be done to stop these awful tear, keep me informed! Thanks
I have had these vulvar paper cut tears for over a year.  It started the fall of 2002.  I didn
I experiance these same kind of lacerations.  The best treatment I have found is Balmex- a kind of skin protectant found in the pharmacy area with diaper rash items.  Other similar products containing zinc oxide were recommended by my doctor but cause intolerable itching.
I have been experiencing the same type of vaginal and anal fissures for a few months now and I was scared to death until I found this forum.Just like many of you, I went to the doctor about three weeks ago and the first thing she said also was Herpes.She took a blood test and a normal pap and I still haven't received any results yet.At first I was pretty sure it was going to end up being Herpes but when I read the first comment posted and it sounded identical to mine, that made me feel a lot better.Hopefully I will be getting some negative results for the Herpes and a more positive solution to this problem that we are all dealing with on a daily basis. If I find any new discoveries I will be sure to share with all of you. Good luck ladies!
I have similar issues-i'm 19 and am going to the doctors this coming tuesday and i'm afraid they may say its herpes-i thought it was a yeast infection-i just got off of antibiotics and then this yeast infection, or what i htink and hope is one, came around, and i know that can happen.  but then i have some cracks  in my skin down below and some reddness, i sometimes have gotten cracks before, and thought it was maybe from stretching the skin from sex or something.  after reading these post i researched a little more about cracks and what they could mean to ease my mind in hopes i dont' have herpes(which i dont htink i do because i dont have any blisters or anything like that, just itchy and reddness and the cracks-the discharge went away).  I found it could be vaginal atrophy-but can it happen at my age?  also it could be a severe case of a yeast infection or vulvitis.  I'm hoping its something like that and not herpes, i'm really really really scared and dont' know how to handle this all-any other advice?  other background info on me, i got done having mono for a long time this may, and then i had a bacterial infection and i got antibiotics for that-which caused this yeast infection, i hope.  Also, i got bit by a deer tick, but i dont think it was on long enough for lyme disease to be a factor.  i work outside in the heat for 9 hours a day, and swim as well.  I live in a swimsuit on the weekends and i'm always sweaty from exercising-what do you girls think?  thanks!
I am so relieved that there are others out there with the same problem. I am at my wits end trying to figure out what this skin irritation is. When I read the first post It was like someone was reading my mind. About 6 months ago I was at work and went to the bathroom and did my business when i wiped it hurt and burned so bad so I looked at the toilet paper and there was blood. I knew I wasn't on my period so I immediatly freaked and called my GP. I got an appointment the same day. He said it looked like some kindof skin fungus and gave me this cream:Clotrimazole and Betamethasone Dipropoinate Cream. This made it go away. I went on with my daily business and it came back even worse. So I used the cream again and it went away after a couple of days. It came back two weeks later. Every time I use the cream it comes back two weeks later. So one day I couldn't even walk I was in so much pain. I called my doc to give me a referal to a Gyn. Well it was on a friday so they didn't get to it...Needless to say I went to a walkin clinic and they gave me the same cream as my GP and gave me this awful pills called FLAGIL. I went to the GYn a week later. She told me not to use the cream and to see if it heals on its own. She tested me for yeast and bacteria and all was negative. WHATEVER. I don't think she quite understands what this is all about. I used the cream two weeks ago and now it's back. My appointment is in a couple of days so I am going to try and hold off so she can see what I am talking about. I am also going to print out this forum so she can see all of you share the same problems. I was wondering if any of you have any other skin irritations on any other part of your body Other than your vaginal area?? I have the same irritation on my hand but not as bad as the vaginal area.
The cream does work it just comes back a couple of weeks later...I am going to try and get an anti fungal pill to see if that works...good luck to you all
I was wondering maybe we all have something in common, like something we do or have done that is causing this.
Breif history:
Army Reserves
2 cats
2 mini long hair dauschaunds
eat all natural foods and use natural products for hair and soap
married
water purification in home-Rain Soft
like to garden
25 yrs old
use Cheer detergent
had weird cracked scaly skin condition on my leg went to hand and now looks like it on my vaginal skin
remodling bathroom
excercise almost daily
Anyone else see any common issues...
I went to my gyn today...has anyone else had a skin biopsy done?
this comment is for oaj.  i just got off of an antibiotic and when i went to the clinic today, i did in fact to have a yeast infection, because of the antibiotics. i wonder if these fissures are related to some skin problems.  as mentioned before, i do have eczema and my skin does crack and hurts until i put on the clobetasol cream for a few days.
oh my god, i feel kind of relieved. i have had this fissure for about 3days now and it has been worrying me to death.  i have gotten on the internet and searched for information.  my regular doctor could not see me today so i had to go to a clinic because i was about to go out of mind. i have a cut just like the rest of you and my first thought was herpes, because that is how herpes can start off, like a cut. since i went to a health clinic i have to wait a week before my results will return.  i kind of feel at ease after reading others like me and thinking that it was herpes and you all found out that it was not. i do not sleep around, nor have i had many sex partners, so i am wondering how the hell did i get herpes. my boyfriend and i are always together, so i hope this man has not cheated on me and brought something back to me. he has no symptoms of herpes, nor does he have these fissures. however, i will take the advise of a someone who posted their comment, how their doctor prescriped clobetosol cream .5%. i actuall use clobestol on my eczema that is on my hands and fingers.  my hands get so dry at times that they do crack, so i put the clobetasol on it and it starts to heal in no time. so maybe it will work down there.  i have some relief......thanks all. please continue to post your comments and updates.
I was so relieved to find out that I'm not the only one!  All the same things are happening to me. Maybe we all have something in common, like birth control or something like that. I use the ortho evra patch, let's see, what else. KY warming gel,tampax compact tampons, skintaminte shave gel, intuition cucumber-melon razor/soap.  Maybe I have it all wrong or something, it could be something that just happens. I haven't been to the doctor for it yet. I just went for a bladder infection a couple weeks ago, but now that I think of it, this was going on durinig my bladder infection too. I just want to figure out how to get rid of it!
Ask your doctor to do a skin biopsy...I did one last thursday and I will find out the results in 2 weeks...hopefully. My GYN seems to think that nothing stumps her so hopefully we will solve this mysterious skin disorder. I was also thinking that we all have something in common. I take Kariva birth control. I did use KY Silky at one point in time. I have a cyst on my labia. I have cats and someone told me that cats can give people a skin disorder I forgot what it is called but it comes from their feces(gross) I guess you get it when changing cat litter. I give them advantage and I thought that maybe touching that stuff could cause something. I am getting these cracks on the top of my hands. It starts of as little scabs but I don't understand that becuse there are no cuts or anything for it to be scabbing. and then it cracks and looks like dry skin.  I use aveno shaving cream for sensitive skin becuase i also had this **** on my leg. I use Kiss My Face soap (natural soap)...cant really think of anything else except I started getting all of this when we got our water softner put in...maybe it was just a coincindence.
I also am having this problem! I thought I had cut myself shaving or was having a herpes outbreak (unfortunately, I do have mild herpes...yuck) but this is completely different than my rare herpes outbreak. So, for those of you afraid of having herpes, this is probably not it. My herpes outbreaks looks like real blisters and don't bleed, these are def. like paper cuts...so I'm thinking it's my toilet paper that is the problem. (???)

I initially had two small lacerations and now have about 10-12 that are slightly bleeding, all on my perineum. This started about 2 weeks ago when we switched toilet paper brands. Went from a softer brand to a tougher brand that's supposed to be more septic safe. As of today I am back on the soft stuff.

Just curious if anyone else has linked this to toilet tissue brand? The only other thing I can come up with is that I am perimenopausal and maybe my skin down there is getting thinner?

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm hopeful it's just the TP...
Nope...It's definitly not the TP...and no signs of being perimenopausal. I did a biopsy and hopefully I will find out on August 1st what this is and be able to tell all of yall.
I've also had the same problem, about a year ago I got a nasty yeast infection, and i was misdiagnose with herpes with out even been tested. This stupid doctor told me that she thought that I might have herpes, she gave me a list of clinics where I could go and get tested. I called every single one of them and they all answered the same thing " we can
As an FYI: Your doctor is incorrect. being able to insert the spatula/tampon is BY NO MEANS an accurate method of diangosing herpes. is she on crack????? It is possible to only experience herpes lesions on the external genitalia.
I have suffered from anal fissures for about 10 years.  I am 30 now.  Cream sometimes works but stool softeners work best and give the fissure time to heal.  I had to go into hospital for an operation on the fissure and was in and out in a day.  No problems for years after that.

I try to eat plenty of fibre and drinks lots of water - my downfall is that I don't get enough exercise but I am not overweight
I cannot tell you how relieved I am tonight to have found this website! I'm 22 years old, and I have been having the exact same problem for a few years now! I had used the clobetasol initially. The intense itching around my anus and the papercut-type tears on my labia minora came back later and I asked my gynecologist for another prescription of the clobetasol...he wouldn't give it to me because he said that prolonged use causes thickening of the skin. He then prescribed Hydrocortisone 2% and told me that I most likely just had some contact dermatitis and told me to avoid detergents and soaps. The cream heals the cuts temporarily but causes a lot of soreness...the itching and fissures around my anus reappear within days. I haven't had the tears on my labia minora in the last few months...I used to get them right before my period. I have been on birth control (ortho tricyclen lo) for the past 4 months, and I think that is what has caused the changed. The tiny fissures around my anus and the itching inside of my rectum and around the anus are still occuring everyday and are absolutely AWFUL!! I haven't gone to my doctor about this for months because he'll just keep trying to convince me that its due to chemical irritants...I know better! Anyone had any luck yet figuring something out?
Oh my gosh I have this too!  And my doctor is at a loss and dosent know what to do.  I can tell you this I dont have cats and live a crazy life so I dont think its any of that.  So cat lovers your safe.  Keep the litter box clean and hug your kittys.
Well that's a relief...Has your doctor done a biopsy on any of you? If so you would know. They stick you with a needle on your labia or where ever they see irritation and she had this instrument that was called a "hole punch" and punched a hole the size of an eraser in my labia and put the sample in a jar. She is sending to the lab and I will find out the results on August 1st. My doc said she doesn't want to prescribe me anything until she knows what exactly she's dealing with...Let me know if any of you have had a biopsy done PLEASE!!
everyone: i have the same problem. i am 24 years old. i have no cats, no history of herpes, no history of yeast infections and i use the soft, expensive kind of t.p.  i do have sex and i do wear thongs.  PLEASE let everyone know as soon as you find a solution. thank you.
I'm sorry each of you are feeling this pain too. I am sure you can relate to that feeling when sex is getting really good and then suddenly you gasp with pain because just by moving your legs a particular way he has stretched and split the skin again!! I would like to get to the cause here. I've had reoccuring bladder and yeast infections and now this strange paper cut problem. I use Canestan (might be english brand) which might be a cause. My perinium seems to be short, meaning my vagina and anus are quite close together. I don't want to be on creams for ten years because my fiance doesn't like cream in his mouth! Would very much enjoy getting to the bottom of this and believe we should keep talking to figure it out. HAS EVERYONE EXPERIENCED YEAST INFECTIONS? IS THIS A TRIGGER?
lots of love and happy healing.
It definately has something to do with yeast infections...    At first i got freaked out thinking it was herpes. A few docs examined me and all told me that it didn't look like herpes and told me that usually herpes wasn't itchy. I got a pap that came back negative as well as blood tests. For the past 3 months i had a yeast infection and didn't know it. I had one in april and used Canestin to get rid of it. I thought it was gone (because i no longer had ANY symptoms) and it turned out that it was still there the whole time... I got the tear during sex and now it just opens up all the time. My doc says that it should go away a few weeks after my infection is cured. So all of you should really check to see if it's a YI... I hope this helps a little...
Wow, You'd never imagine this would be such a common problem. My paper-cut like tears are on the "lips" and are itchy and annoying. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I'm hoping I can heal them before I go into labor for fear that my lips will rip into shreds during delivery. I suspect it could be irritation due to the intimate deoderant spray I've started using or maybe because I was recently on medication to cure poison ivy. I even thought for awhile that it was poison ivy. That would suck, huh?
  I'm trying a little of everything to help with the itch. No such luck yet. Did anyone else have swelling before the tears. I did. It started with an itch which I rubbed until it got swollen and when the swelling subsided I was left with these tears.
i am so freaked out. i have the same problem but like someone said above i also have the pea like lump on my labia. my gyno is hellbent on thinking it is herpes as well! i have to wait for a phone call from the clinic if my culture is positive. if i dont hear from them then i have to call by monday. i really dont want to hear its herpes. my partner didnt tell me he had it and i never saw anything on his penis(which i know doesnt mean he cant have it). it could have been spred by a cold sore but i dont recall him having anything like that either. i do have the tears as well as the bump, so i dont know what is going on with me. i want to know but i dont know what i will do if its herpes.
Hi there-I felt the same sense of relief reading everyone else's story.  And I think it is a great idea for us to try to find out what links us together.
I will just add my history to the list and hope it helps.
I have had recurrent yeast infections all of my life-since early childhood.  I am 24 years old and in 2002 I noticed bumps on the formerly smooth skin, just inside my vulva, toward the vaginal walls.  I went to the 8 different doctors about the issue.  5 of the 8 doctors thought I may have genital warts so they treated the warts (with a topical application of acid).  But each time the bumps would come back and be more irritated and raw.  
The last few doctors I saw decided it wasn't warts and can't finda  casuse for the bumps-but my major concerned changed.  I was no longer able to have intercourse because it was excruciating-this happened in 2003.  recently in 2005 my doctor noticed the fissures.  I can develop fissures with or without intercourse.  My Dr. also noticed that I have nodules of nerves-exposed and extremely sensitive-which may be causing some of the pain.

My doctor thought I may need to switch to a low-oxolate diet and gave me a steroidal cream to heal the immediate fissures.  The cream helped but I found the diet very confusing.  I find the best defense is avoiding sex.
I don' t know if you all are as frustrated as I am-but why don't they know more about what makes vagina's tick?

My history:
recurrent yeast infections
moderately sexually active
desk job-grad school
have one dog and cat
no STDs
itching, bumps and fissures for 3 years

I hope we can solve this mystery!

I honestly don't understand why your doctors' gave you some sort of acid to put on your vagina without even testing to see if it was really warts. Sometimes I really don't know what doctors are thinking. It doesn't have anything to do with yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. I know that for sure becuase when I went to the gyn the first time with this problem she tested me on the spot for both. She took a swab and went into the other room and looked under a microscope. It was neither. She told me not to use soap and not to wear underwear to bed and alot of other things that she thought could be the problem. Well it didn't help so when I went back the next time she did the biopsy. Anyway I am married and have had sex sporaticlly so I know it is not from sex. When I get the cuts I do not have sex until they are gone. And right now I am not experiencing them becuase I put the cream I've been using on. It works for two weeks then comes back like clockwork. But that at least gives me two weeks of relief. Like I said before on August 1st is my appointment and the results should be back by then so hopefully we can put this whole fissure problem to rest...but if they don't know then we're screwed!! I have the pea sized nodule right on left side of the opening of my vagina. She said it was a cyst...
I was looking for something else (lichen sclerosis) and came upon you poor people - Just a suggestion, to take ZINC and Vit C, for tissue repair and has anyone thought about whether an imbalance in the pH or the vagina & area could be hindering repair or causing in the first place?  Good luck.
Well, I have to say that I was extremely relieved after reading this forum.  I had never had vaginal tearing or fissures until about a month ago, and I ignored them.  They went away and came back worse about 2 weeks later.  I had been cleaning them with peroxide (OUCH!) and putting bacetracin ointment on them to try to heal them, which slightly worked. I was trying to write it off as the toilet paper, etc!  But then I became more and more worried, and began to research it and that's when I came across this website.  After reading everything I decided to go see my OBGYN.  He of course tested me for Herpes, and even though I had read everything that you have all been through, and knowing that none of your tests had come back positive, I was still nervous.  He also tested me for a yeast infection.  Well, right there on the spot he said I had a horrible yeast infection and wrote me a prescription for 2 Diflucan pills.  I was to take one (they stay in your system for 3 days) and then repeat 3 days later.  He also gave me a prescription for a topical cream.  I took the first pill, and applied the cream.  The itching became 100 times worse.  I kept putting on the cream until the itching became unbearable (2 days), and then I took my second Diflucan pill after three days.   A few days later I got the results of my Herpes test and I am happy to say that it came back negative.  And the best news is that my fissures are completely gone.  I've had no signs of them reappearing.  Back to normal and very happy!!  Just thought I'd share my story to hopefully help someone else out.  Good luck girls!!  

For those of you that were looking for a common link between all of us:  

I am 28
Serious Boyfriend
Sexually Active (not more than 2 times a week)
Desk Job
Work out
Have 1 cat (4 years old)
Live in somewhat humid climate

don't use hydrogen peroxide more than once, to clean out the cut!! it delays healing. use a triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin). it will kill bacteria and prevent scars. i had a cut that didn't heal and kept re-opening. (the cut was from rough sex--not a pre-existing condition, although I may have had a yeast infection at the time). it led to scarring. sex is painful, in that particular spot, and now i also have general irritation in the areas of friction. i used clobetasol propionate 0.05% for over a month to get rid of the scar tissue. but it thinned the skin, so then i had to use an estrogen cream to rebuild the tissue. this still hasn't solved the problem, and i've been dealing with this for a year. i'm 22. i've been to a few different gynocologists, and they all treated the problem the same way. i just got a new gyn though, and she says that those treatments are good, but there's also something else going on (most likely a yeast infection or some type of bacterial infection--I've already been cleared for all stds) that is causing irritation and preventing healing. she showed me with a mirror all the spots in my vagina that were red and irritated. her plan is to treat the yeast infection first and then to heal the tear. i'm supposed to continue to use the estrogen cream and then use a salve of essential rose oil on top. also if i want to have sex, to prevent irritation, i'm supposed to put some vitamin A and D ointment on the spot, as a barrier, and also use lubrication (astroglide is good, ky is no good because it drys out quickly) i cannot stress the importance of lube enough!! my gyn has had a lot of success with this treatment and hopes that in 6 weeks i should finally be healed. i'll post an update soon.

extra advice: if your gyn is not helping, get a new one!! ask other women and see who comes recommended. it's also nice to find a doctor who is open to incorporating herbal remedies into the treatment. western biomedicine tends to focus strictly on the part of the body that is sick. sometimes they miss the bigger picture. many doctors don't even bother to explain thoroughly what is happening. especially for this type of problem, a holistic approach is essential. good luck all!!
oh, and it comes back also when i am very STRESSED out from work or over working my body (like working late, working out, not sleeping enough)
wow this all sounds so familiar!! :(
no gyno has ever figured this out. i have fissures that feel like paper cuts around my labia that hurt so much if they are touched and come when they want...ANYONE FOUND OUT WHAT THIS IS??
i do unfortunately have genital herps but don't break out.. and the gyno said that is not what it is but the idiots can't figure it out...
as many of you said:
i work out sometimes
wear thongs
have a stressful job
don't take birthcontrol
have boyfriend and casual sex
do have sensitive skin i guess

i noticed i definitely get it when there is rough sex... and becomes a yeast infection.. so i get it before and after a eyast infection and it makes the yeast infection much worse and painful
putting monestat cream and baby powder at the same time calms it down a bit temporarily (or the pain at least an itch)
i also get them sometimes before my period too!!
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF YOU FOUND AN ANSWER.. it is ridiculous that no gyno knows frmo seeing all these people with the same issue
let's hope for an answer or cure

Hi, I too had this same problem or actually still have but not as severe as a couple of days ago. Wednsday of last week, I would feel the most agonizing pain each time I would urinate, as soon as the urine would come in contact with my tears I would  hold on tight to the sink which is next to my toilet and cry in pain, sometimes I would hold it until I couldn't anymore just because of the fear I felt to go urinate. When I finally couldn't take it anymore I got on the internet and came accross this website, I read a lot of comments most of which sounded like my story.  The next day I came to work as usual only that I was in horrible  pain and my jeans were making my problem worse by the second. As soon as I left work I stopped at Walgreens,and bought a non expensive ointment, which worked miracles on me. I applied it at night on the tears, I slept with no underware (loose shorts only) and in the morining I  showered and cleansed my tears as carefully as possible, then I applied more ointment, yes, I did feel sticky but believe me it beats having to feel that horrible sting each time I  urinate! Some how the ointment protects the urine no longer touches the tear, the ointment is kind of thick and sticks well to the skin it stayed the entiretime I was at work (8 hours), I am almost completely healed and I can now urinate like normal woman, no more tears!!! The name and brand of this ointment is Walgreens Vitamin A & D Ointment.  It's working for me. I  wish all of you luck and hope all of you heal as well.

P.S, I was  able to have a love session with my partner (figure from wednsday (horrible pain) and by saturday night (love session no pain) my partner was of course extra super gentle!
Hey everyone! I am sooo glad I am not the only one experiencing these tears/fissures. I have been getting them for about a year now and it is usually a few days before I have my period. It is also usually right after sexual activity. Sometimes I can have sex and not get them, and other times I do get them. I seem to have almost the exact same symptoms you all have, the itching, burning, irritation and of course the tears. This is like the most annoying thing ever. I go to the gyno every year to be able to stay on birth control. I haven't gone this year yet because I was afraid the Dr. was going to tell me I had herpes or something else crazy. I have had the same boyfriend for a year now that has now problems or symptoms of anything. We do not use condoms so you would think if it was something like herpes he would have it too. I usually use A and D ointment on the tears, but it doesnt seem to heal them as quickly as I would like. I would have to say the itchiness and the burning is worse that the actually tear. I usually only get one or two at the most and they are very small. I guess I'm going to try some of the creams you women have used to see if they help better than the A and D. Good luck to everyone, this problem really sucks:(
Just an update, 8 days later I am completely healed! And yes this problem really sucks =(, I wish good health to all woman with this condition.
I just wish we had a definitive answer as to why we're getting these annoying cuts.  I've read that people suffering from this were both positive and negative for Herpes.  I think it has something to do with hormones and/or vaginal flora.  It seemed like mine would show up around my period as well.  Lately, they've been giving me a lot of trouble and I've had major reoccurence of BV.  Still waiting for my retest on HSV-2.
I have been getting the same problem all you women have. It started about 2 months ago and I seriously thought it was herpes but got them swabbed and cultured and haven't heard anything back. I got these checked a month ago and I am assuming it's negative for herpes. So if anyone gets a diagnosis plz let me know it just sucks to get tears on your vagina. I don't want to be intimate  any more as I am scared to infect my partner for anything. Never had problems like this in the past.
Hi ladies.  I cannot believe that so many of us are having the same issue with no results!  I am 24 and have suffered from these vaginal tears and itching off and on for many years.  I have found that it comes at the same general time in my menstrual cycle... and it is definately NOT HERPES!  I have regular check ups and have never been diagnosed with herpes (even before I became sexually active!).  I too think that it has something to do with the vaginal flora and the yeast levels.  I am a certified herbalist and nutritionalist, and I am starting to think that the cause for all of this may be a systemic candida infection.  Candida albicans is the scientific name for yeast.  When it becomes systemic it can cause all kinds of problems.  Google it and you will find many holistic websites that list the many and varied symptoms.  It effects everyone differently, so it can be hard to diagnose.  This is also the reason why the mainstream medical community does not really recognize systemic candida infections as a real illness.  

We are all on some version of the standard american diet... over processed foods with too much refined sugar>> candida's best friend!  I am not sure if this is a definitive answer, but don't be surprised if your GYN blows it off.  Most of them will not accept this as an answer but I am going to look into it more... Unfortunately, curing systemic candida usually requires major diet changes and a strict herbal regimen.  I will post again with more info when I can.  Good lcuk to you all... keep the info coming!
I also have been getting these fissures for the past few months pretty regularly, with a few weeks/days of no symptoms. It first started when I had surgery and developed an infection and was then put on antibiotics, to clear it up. After taking the medication for a few days, I developed the worst yeast infection that was so sore and swollen. I also developed fissures that it was nearly impossible to use soap, because it burned so bad. After using an over the counter cream like  Monistate for 7 days it cleared for nearly a month, but after that I've had at least 4 others times, all with extremely painful fissure that seem to tear in the same spot. I have been to the doctors and I've had my vagina tested for yeast each time, which all have come up positive. But this most recent case that I have has no symptoms of itchiness or burning only fissures that are pretty much always in the same spot. only this time when I went to the Dr.s, my yeast test was negative.  I also have herpes simplex 1 which I've had for about 4 years and have only had 1 outbreak in that time. Out of fear of experiencing another outbreak, I take Valtrex daily which reduces and shortens the length of time if I was ever to get another.  my Dr. says that it doesn't look really like an out break at all, and it certainly doesn't feel like how I remembered it to feel like. No one knows what this is and why I keep feeling like this.  I have had sex like 5 times in the last 4 months, and I've noticed that I would have sex when I was feeling better and after 4 or 5 days, I would develop symptoms of a yeast infection. If Any one has any useful information or ways to help clear up my problem, that would be much appreciated.
I feel like I could have typed the original comment verbatim to explain my symptoms.

My doctor recently diagnosed me with interstitial cystitis, which he claims is the cause of all my problems.  I know for a fact that it isn't.

Years ago, I developed a yeast infection after taking antibiotics, which was followed by the first time I got these horrible cuts.  I was tested and told that it came up positive for HSV 1 and so that's what caused the cuts, not the horrible yeast infection.

Periodically throughout the years I would get a bout of these cuts and think I was having an outbreak.

Well, for the last 10 months straight, I have had the cuts for at least one week out of the month if not longer.  The first two months I believed I was having a yeast infection because I was on antibiotics.

I always get them the week before my period, coupled with intense itching and burning.  One of them appears and clears up within a day or so, only to be followed by more.  They are usually in the creases of the labia, above the clitoral hood, and on the perineum.  They have begun showing up every time I have sex now.

My doctor refuses to listen to my symptoms, and continues to blame herpes and interstitial cystitis, even after the herpes culture he took came back negative.

I went to his office last week in tears, bringing information about recurrent yeast infections and an extreme sensitivity to yeast which perfectly described what has been happening to me.  He told me that he would (reluctantly) test me for yeast next time I went in.

I go in tomorrow and I made sure to have sex yesterday in order to bring on the symptoms.  I am extremely nervous that he won't find any type of infection and will continue to dismiss my concerns.  I can't live like this forever.

How many of you have been tested for yeast?  Is it usually positive?  I have read that often times this is caused by another strain of yeast that doesn't show up on the typical test.

If my tests come back negative and he refuses to help me, I am definitely going to see another doctor.  I hate being treated like a crazy person.
Ugh...I hate it when you write this big long post and then you lose it!  so...here's my thoughts in a nutshell:

With thoughts to yeast:  I have heard there is a strain of yeast that doesn't typically respond to typical treatments.  Also, it can be passed back and forth according to what I've read, so it might help to have your partner treated as well.

Freya-Faery...I think you're on to something and agree with you!

to the last two posters:  Is your HSV-1 gential or oral...just curious if you knew for sure as genital HSV-1 is not as common.

As for me:

* have had cuts in my vaginal folds for years...didn't bother me much until the last few years

*placed IUD after 2nd child (may 2004) and took it out (aug 2006) due to recurrent Group B strep problems

*took blood test for HSV 1 and 2.  Results came back positive for both,but with a result for 2 that could be false.  

* had culture done on cut (it was negative)

*did have an overgrowth of bacteria when I got the herpes culture done...am currently treating the bacteria with Clindamax (gosh, I hate this stuff!!)

* waiting for results of the confirmatory HSV-2 test.

* have been taking Valtrex since June 13 and it seems to be helping, but have gotten a few cuts that have healed quickly since I started the treatment.

BUT, even if I am + for 2, I'm not really convinced that's what's causing the tears.  After all, how often have you read that someone had an outbreak for 2 months straight??

Will keep you posted.  Find it amazing how similar all of our symptoms are yet nobody can tell us what the problem is.

I actually don't know if my HSV1 is genital or oral.  I was tested years ago and don't remember if it was a blood test or a culture.  If it was a culture, then genital, obviously.

But you're right; who has ever heard about months long outbreaks that return negative cultures?  Additionally, cuts often appear hours after sexual intercourse.  I'm not sure that the virus could activate that quickly.

And from what I've read, HSV-1 of the genitals rarely causes break-outs beyond the initial one, if it ever does at all.

I'm frustrated, and worried about tomorrow's appointment where he will do another test for bacterial and fungal infections.

I don't want to live with this for years and I hate putting my boyfriend through this.

Have any of you had symptoms that just went away over time?

Also, what is the false positive rate for herpes cultures, if it exists at all?  I'm going to be very upset if I have lived for years thinking that I had this when I didn't.
I would go ahead and get a Herpes Select IGg test done for 1 and 2, just to rule it out (or in as the case may be.)  After my initial devastation...granted I'm still waiting for the confirmatory test results...I've found this site to be very helpful and have resigned myself to the fact that I may have it.  More importantly, the diagnosis could be worse.  At least this won't kill me.  Not to mention, I potentially  have an answer as to why its happening.  Still have some unanswered questions, but if that's what it is and Valtrex will keep it at bay, then all is good.  

I'm not sure what the rates are for false positives when using the Herpes Select Blood Test.  I just know that if you are positive for one and your results for two are between 1.1 and under 3.5, then it's probably wise to get a confirmatory test unless you have obvious Herpes lesions (when I say obvious, I mean the blister looking ones)  
I have been researching an itching problem i have and came accross something called dermatitis which is the same exact symptoms and is caused by an allergy to almost anything. so research it dermatitis i hope it helps
I started experiencing the tears on my perineum after my first yeast infection about a year ago. The yeast infection was not itchy nor did i have any discharge, but I had a HORRID painful rash all over my perineum, and 3 tears opened up during that time. It was treated as a yeast infection with Diflucan and went away. I was fine for a while but then the tears started coming back. I notice that they tend to happen near my period(more moisture?) or after/during sex. I use NuvaRing, which causes a light discharge during the month for me. My Gyno, who I love, told me that the tears we fairly common in women, and that if it didn't heal with antibiotic ointment, or if they got worse, she could put me on a steroid cream to help the skin stretch a little more. She also said that would be a last resort for her. I am very prone to bacterial and fungal infections, and it has to to with my body chemistry/ph(prediabetic/hypoglycemic). My mother who is Type 2 Diabetic, experinced these tears along with yeast infections and athletes foot infections all through her 30's and 40's until her diabetes was diagnosed and she got her levels under control.

I honestly find it rediculous that the modern medical community, which treats the majority of women's reproductive health problems as shameful, has no flipping idea what causes these tears or how to really treat them. Seriously, how many of you felt the stigma attached to the possiblity that your doctor thought you might have herpes? How many of you knew they were wrong and they wouldn't take your concerns seriously. It makes me so angry.

I just want effective unbiased medical help. In a way the empowers me to help my body heal.
I went to the doctor Tuesday, but he was unable to see me due to another woman going into labor.

I did, however, see his amazing nurse to receive my IC treatment.  She took a look at the tears, and compared them to a dotted line.  I noticed that she was correct.  The skin seems to make many tiny holes that form a sort of dotted line.  

She said I was one of the "mystery cases" and that she would alert the doctor about what she saw.

He called in and prescribed a steroid cream which healed the tear above my clitoris almost immediately.  It has since returned with a vengeance, and severe itching.

Sageeyes, I am with you on just wanting unbiased medical help.  I want a doctor to actually listen to my symptoms and how I am feeling and not assume that it's the most common problem he can think of.  Typical treatments (for infections and herpes) are not helping me.
Well I have another tear on my vagina...just went to the bathroom and hurt myself wiping...took a mirror to have a look and there it was again. Last tear I had was like over a week ago...getting sick of it already. Even though the last time I had any intimacy was way back in April and I know this can't be from any sexual activity. I am now keeping a log on when these tears appear and will show them to my doctor. I know it can't be herpes...herpes ob don't come every week from what I've researched. I wish someone had an answer to our dilemma, but I guess only tests and more test will tell.
I am so glad to have come across this forum! I have been experiencing the same pain from tiny tears along my perineum for almost a week now.  I have been driving myself crazy thinking that it is herpes, although I have no visable blisters or pus.  LIke many of you, I am close to having my period and this did occur within a day after having rough sex without much lubrication. The pain is mostly only present when I touch it or wipe, it has been accompained by some itching and a burning sensation when urine hits it. In the past I have had a itchy fissure around my anus, as well as a tear on my clitoris. I have been tested for herpes in the past, which came back negative, although since that time I have been sexually active with someone who has herpes (although we always used condoms). I will still get another herpes test in hopes of ruling that out, but it is very comforting to read that so many of you have experinced the same thing and do not have herpes! I think it is too much of a coincidence that this happened to me after unlubricated sex (with a fairly new partner who has a larger than average penis), and am thinking it may be either a sex injury or a yeast infection. However, I have never had a yeast infection, so I don't have anything to compare it to. I have finally found relief from the pain after applying tea tree oil to the affected area.
My situation is crazy and completely hopeless to say the least
October /Nov -06-is when I started feeling this hot uncomfortable tingling sensation under the clitoral hood-Dec started having watery discharge,Jan -started having weird pain sensation on my butt and left thigh along with all other issues- negative on herpes ,std, candida, gonoreah etc,  Feb-skin around the labia gor sensitive-the clitoral hood started cracking -had a fissure in my anus- doctors siad everything looked normal (they were on dope), March- bleeding in the vaginal area when I to poop!, April -they found ecoli bacteria both front and back- took antibiotics/also got ultra sound and they found small firoids-but doctors told me the placment of these couldn't be causing the problem,-May- thigh pain worsened so went for accupunture-clitoral sensitivity remained the same-one other doc said it could endometriosis-June-nothing changed -JULY- the tears in the clitoral hood are causing extreme itching, the skin in my anal area are sensitive -there is a obvious skin issue-along with other 100 problems- No. of doctors visited to date 9.
One of the things  I think there is something going on under the hood or deep inside that is putting pressure on other organs causing these infections. It could be a scar tissue that is adhering itself and making other areas to infect and cause these skin erruptions. I am no doctor but doens;t look like a doctor also is able to figure this one out.
One big help would be from whoever is reading this- can you please give me names of good gynocologists in the new york area whom you have gone to and can recommend.
thank you -wish you all a speedy recovery- this too shall pass
October /Nov -06-is when I started feeling this hot uncomfortable tingling sensation under the clitoral hood-Dec started having watery discharge,Jan -started having weird pain sensation on my butt and left thigh along with all other issues- negative on herpes ,std, candida, gonoreah etc,  Feb-skin around the labia got sensitive-the clitoral hood started cracking -had a fissure in my anus- doctors said everything looked normal (they were on dope), March- bleeding in the vaginal area when I to poop!, April -they found ecoli bacteria both front and back- took antibiotics/also got ultra sound and they found small fibroids-but doctors told me the placement of these couldn't be causing the problem,-May- thigh pain worsened so went for accupunture-clitoral sensitivity remained the same-one other doc said it could endometriosis-June-nothing changed -JULY- the tears in the clitoral hood are causing extreme itching, the skin in my anal area are sensitive -there is a obvious skin issue-along with other 100 problems- No. of doctors visited todate- 9.
I think there is something going on under the hood or deep inside that is putting pressure on other organs causing these infections. It could be a scar tissue that is adhering itself and making other areas to infect and cause these skin erruptions. I am no doctor but doesn't look like even a doctor also is able to figure this one out.
One big help would be, from whoever is reading this- can you please give me names of good gynocologists in the new york area whom you have gone to and can recommend.
I recently (10 days ago) got this problem. It started as a yeast infection I thought then the second day it all started swelling, my inner lips swelled to the size of my thumbs.  I went to the ER because i head laid in bed for 9 hours with an ice pack that did not help.  At the ER they said it was a yeast infection gave me an anti inflamatory injection, a precription for a steroid (methoprednosone) and Dyflucan.
Two days later the swelling was gone but the itch and pain were still killing me.  I called my gyn and he sent another Dyflucan.  I took that and finished the steroid pack and everything seemed to be getting better.
Two days after the steriods were gone it was back with more cracks, splits fissures. So I went to my gyn and he instantly said Herpes did a test for it and I am waiting for those results (scared to death).

That is how found this forum (THANK GOD FOR HOPE).

I have read all through these and think the common factor my be fake estrogen.
Some in birth control pills or patches mine is hormone replacement from hysterectomy,. and I am 34

however I do agree that keeping it shaved or short helps the pain not be so bad, also I am using baby wipes and A&D ointmentabout every 2 -3 hours and it is helping to keep the pain and itch at bay.

Best of luck .... to all of us.
I wonder if it could be cystosis or Candida.  I'm currently traveling in Japan--I just arrived here when the symptoms appeared for the first time--at the same time as my period, and these were recommended by a doctor I saw here.  I am currently using a Bayer topical cream to relieve itchiness.  She also prescribed antibiotics for three days in case it is cystosis (while she explained itching would worsen if it is Candida probably).

I have also have varying issues with dry skin (some friends suggest it might be a mild form of eczema) especially on my hands (resulting in tiny bumps or cracks, especially with seasonal/weather changes or stress).

I live in a humid climate, and sporadically wear underwear, microfiber and cotton...now switching to cotton with this onset.

I use a large variety of toilet paper while traveling, but I worry if water or food infections could be the case.  I have had a varied diet, but remarkably very non-Americanized high sugar diet (rather, much fresh food, asian food, etc.).

I have taken Alesse and Ortho-Lo, but not currently taking either.

I have had an ovarian cyst removed as well as ulcer problems before (five and three years ago, respectively).

Some casual but safe sex, but very little as of recent (last two attempts have been quite painful)..those were the first in a few months.  Before that, rarely would I experience any pains with any sex.  I have also cleared STD tests as of one month ago.

It definitely appears to be hormonal, as it seems to correspond with ladies' periods (either just before/after or during).

Here are my questions:
I think it is something yeast related, but what foods in particular should we avoid to test this theory?

Has anyone experienced some diarrhea with this, too?  I am in the third or fourth day of extreme symptoms, but diarrhea has just started.  It is actually so much better as I don't have to secrete as much urine this way, I admittedly think.

I will try to get some A+D Ointment asap.

Also, would everyone try to remember to check back in, because I'm really curious how the '05 cases are these days.  Thanks, gals!
Hey there ladies, one more thing:

Please, check out this link....notice how it also makes the connection with yeast levels, estrogen (especially for BC-users) levels, cuts on the skin elsewhere and diabetes concerns (both of which I've seen mentioned a bit), problems with infection of cuts near vagina area, and wearing wet clothes (a classic culprit, which I had not mentioned, but I have been doing more lately).

http://www.medhelp.org/Medical-Dictionary/Terms/1/001511.htm

I have already been upping my dose of yogurt and I will begin forcing myself to enjoy cranberry (without added sweeteners) juice.

I read somewhere about applying yogurt directly to the infected area.  Does anyone know about this?  
hey, thank god i'm not the only one, but i have a bit of advice for all of you to try. i'm only 18 and a bit embarrassed to go to the doctor, but the best thing i have found so far is to stay on large doses of a b vitamin complex. i also get these tears in the corners of my mouth, the corners of me eyes... pretty much anywhere the skin is soft and moist. but when i stay on vitamin b pills, i rarely have problems with the tears. if i skip them for a few days, they are back in full and i am miserable. another thing i have found to alleviate the pain when you have them is neosporin lip treatment, like i said, i've never been to the doctor so i don't know if this is good to use or not, but it provides a lot more relief than neosporin or anything else like that along with a cooling sensation, it's meant for cracked lips so i put two and two together and gave it a try in a moment of desperation. if i combine a lrage dose of vitamin b (not any type in particular, just something that has all the b vitamins together) with the lip treatment, they are gone overnight sometimes.

well, i hope this helps all of you, i feel your pain!
For more information about Candida, check out   ---it's great to think that the varying symptoms are just that--varying--but all still symptoms of the same, very real, problem!  

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Here's an update on myself: I just came back from the doctor this morning. She took one look at me and said "This is definelty not herpes, it's probably yeast."  I asked if fissures were a symptom of a yeast infection, and she said that yes, it is common. I did in fact test positive for a yeast infection, and she gave me a pill and some topical cream to apply. In additon, I am eating lots of yogurt and am about to go to the store and get some cranberry juice! In answer to your question conlapaz, I do know several people who have applied plain yogurt directly to the area when having a yeast infection.

Nonetheless, this was quite a scare!! I hope everything works out well for the rest of you girls too!

HI guys!
I am new to this,but really glad I found it!
I actually was diagnosed with Herpes in August of 2005.But about a year and a couple months ago I begin getting these cut and tears in the vaginal area.Three doctors have told me they are NOT symptoms from HSV.....I have been prescribed Estrace, Cream for Eczema,steroid cream and just today I was tols it was simply a severe yeast infection. I am thionking it is probaly not,but I guess I will try anything at this point!!
The Estrace cream helped me for about3 months but then my Dr.would not prescribe me anymore (i guess maybe b/c of side effects)???
Has anyone found a solution to this crazyness????!!! I will let youknow if the Yeast infection Rx works.......Can you have cuts and tears from Yeast??!!!
Thanks for your help!!!!
MUST READ
check out this link ladies. I just found it

It explains why and maybe clues us into prevention and treatment
Good luck.

Here it is ladies sorry.
I have this same problem, though "luckily" it's only affecting the clitoral hood area and not my perineum. I just got off the phone with a nurse-midwife and she said that it's a common problem with women who are exclusively breastfeeding because of the lack of estrogen in their systems. So it's a hormone issue. Low estrogen levels, ladies. The link that lil2blunt provided corresponds with everything my nurse-midwife just told me.
Thank goodness for this forum or I would be freaking out still. I'm having the same problem right now too. I've been cleared of herpes and all your other run of the mill STDs. Mine started after wearing tight pants on a hot day. I had swelling that night, but had sex anyway because it wasn't painful. The next day the swelling was worse and I noticed micro tears which itched and burned. I had the tears before after rough sex but they went away after 2-3 days. These haven't gone away. I also noticed that my vaginal discharge has changed from the usual, its now clear and thin and smells like yeast. I have a feeling this is related to the yeast infection. I recently switched birth control pills and I'm on antibiotics, so this is probably the cause of the yeast. I'm trying to use Monistat, but the external cream burns! I just started using Neosporin on the tears, which are above the clitoris, on the perinium, and between the inner and outer labia. It ended the pain and itching. But I want to know what to do from here, I'm going to try a change in diet, start taking vitamins, and try to follow these tips I found:  http://www.colposcopy.com/vulv-sk.html.
http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/resources/show_res.cfm?ID=42286

Hopefully it works this time.
My doc today doubled my estrogen and gave me estrogen cream.
After one day of it it is already healing.
I will let you all know how it goes
Also here are some other more common signs of low estrogen

Sign and Symptoms of Low Estrogen Levels:
Rapid pulse rate
Bloating
Fatigue that worsens during the day
Constant fatigue, lethargy and fatigue on light exertion.
Short-term memory failure
Poor Memory
Hot flashes
Joint pain, swelling and stiffness
Decreased Sex Drive
Depression
Headaches
Osteoarthritis
Low Back Pain
Dry skin
Vaginal Dryness
Recent unexplained weight gain
                Balding or hair not growing

OMG!! i am so relieved i could cry.. but have done enough of that already!! the stories i have read are me to a T... i have had issues with recurrent yeast infections since i was about 13.. i am now in my 40's.. i feel like i just delivered a 20 lb baby.. the pain is awful.. i am amazed and dumbfounded that no medical professional can figure out a concrete reason or treatment for so many women.. i am wonderinf if anyone else has lessions that are so big the skin looks like it would if a blister had been there.. oodles of small lessions too, but the large ones are really freaking me out.. any ideas?? am on my way to the store now to pick up a and d, triple antiboitic cream and balmex.. surely one of those will allow me to urinate with out feeling like i am going to split in two!! also for what it is worth.. i can not use soft toilet paper.. like charmin.. it feels seems like it leaves fibbers behind that set off a yeast infection every time.. i found angel soft from walmart works the best and dab.. dont wipe!!!!!! :) my doc did say i too am perimenopausal, and this is common due to vaginal dryness that comes hand in hand with that.. that being said, know the cause is not a cure.. so keep writing ladies.. we may be the best source for a solution with each other!!
ps... just thinking.. i am italian, have thalesemia minor?? anyone else?? i know this causes your tissue to not stretch like normal and is an issue when bearing a child.. wondering if anyone else has this issue?? anemic?? comes hand in hand always with being thalesemic/or having the trait i believe...
have your doc give you a blood test to check your estrogen level,

mine just upped my estrogen dosage and gave me vaginal estrogen, I've been using it for 2 days now and my symptoms are almost gone (cuts swelling itching burning)

Especially being premen. this is from lack of estrogen.

Like I said 2 days and it is almost gone.

Also if you start eating a quart of PLAIN yogurt (you can add sugar) a week your yeast infections should slow down alot.  You can also mix plain yogurt with distilled water (half and half) and douch with it. Yogurt has the same natural cleansing bacteria as our vaginas do so it helps restore healthy discharge.

and just one more thing..for a full body nutralizing or cleansing drink a glass of dill pickle juice once a week.after the first time you do this you will be hooked the next day and every one after you will just feel amazing.  The vinagar is a natural nutralizer/cleanser and dill is a natural healing herb.
Just as a warning though do this when you will be home for the night the first time you do it you will get really really thirsty (drink water) the you will probably have cramps and diareha and then you will pee ALOT.  The next day you will be happier and more energetic and just AMAZING.
IT IS WORTH IT BELIEVE ME.
It is a super body toxin remover.

Good luck

i read somewhere that the yogurt douching is actually the worst thing.. that it can make it worse.. so now i am confused.. i know years ago they said yogurt was a good idea...but you know as times change, they seem to know what is bad for us as woman but not so much what will help.. i did buy some balmex.. it helped at first, but now seems to be setting of a yeast infection.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. my boyfriend bought me some monostat cool wipes (he felt so bad about this!!) and they help a bit.. so thank you for the input.. i will find out abut estrogen.. am not on anything yet.. but guessing maybe it is time!!  hmmm pickle juice... i will try it!!!! will let you know.. :) have a great day...
Just an update
Day 3 and all fissures are gone ad no burning and very little itching left.
I will keep you all informed but estrogen is DEFINATLY THE ANSWER.
wondering if you have been intimate yet.. wierd question, but now i am deathly afraid to heal and try again.. :( any suggestions for a good lube?? ky is not a good choice for me..  thanks
WOW!  It's such a relief to feel like I'm not alone with this condition.  The first time I felt pain/discomfort when I used the restroom and misdiagnosed myself with a yeast infection.  I made the painful mistake of using the one day treatment for yeast which is really strong and it irritated what I later learned were tears from rough/dry sex.  The reaction became really painful and I ended up going to ER and was told that I most likely had herpes and was put on a anti-viral medication.  I talked with my boy friend about it who was very sure he didn't have herpes and sure enough all std tests came back negative and I had a UTI.  The pain with urination came again with all the same symptoms as before so I went to the doctor again today and this time around I don't have a UTI just a couple tears that are about 2/3 of an inch long.  My doctor told me to avoid wearing pants and wear skirts as much as possible and to use hydro cortisone cream.  I read above that clobetesal propionate also helps which is convenient as I use it already for psoriasis (a skin condition)  Thanks to all who have contributed I feel so relieved after reading other accounts.
Clobetesal is AMAZING!  While I still don't know the origin of these cuts, that ointment has healed them within a matter of days.  I am continuing to use it on the areas even though there are no open wounds which I am hoping will help them from occurring again.

I'd love to know the cause of this problem, but I'm happy now to have treatment.

Intercourse lately has resulted in no new tears.
No, no intercourse yet my husband is a truck driver.
BUT with all the extra estrogen and him being home this weekend and my being all healed up I will definatly let you know by Monday. HAHAHA
Try AstroGlide for lube but if you are healed up and it has been as long for you as it has me you may not need it.
Also if you are using estrogen cream as I am it is much faster to work if you use it on the outside rather than the inside.put it a little thicker where the cuts are.  Estrogen is what promotes new skin cell growth in women.
Good luck all.
someone on here said something about the common factor being fake estrogen, I think that seems to be likely. Mine didn't start until after my miscarriage a few months ago, I've been on all kinds of hormone altering medications, several differnent types of birth control, and I've had so many hormone related problems, the tears and fissures is the most recent and most annoying. I'm recently married and I hate telling my husband we can't have sex! I've been tested for everything under the sun and the only thing that has come back positive is a bacterial infection, but that has been treated and gone away so I don't think it had anything to do with the tears. The doctors keep telling me its because I'm not lubricated enough, but that really doesn't seem to matter, I get them no matter how much lubrication we use. It's so frustrating!
all.. k maybe it is a back lash of hormone use? birthcontol side effect of long term?? i had a tubal pregnancy rupture and was on birthcontrol for years?? everyone have that connection?? what about tampons? do we all use them? are we all guilty of using them even off our periods on occasion?? i use tampax solely, have for years?? anyone finding a corolation???? i know i am reaching here.. but want to figure it out so we can all be healthy and happy and live our lives normally!! :)  i did switch to vagi gard.. that seems to be working the best.. no hormones yet.. so that and estroven is what the pharmasist recommended! i am trying it for now along with the other suggestions!!

thanks all.. lil2blunt, have a GREAT WEEKEND!! :)
Hi ladies,

I have been having the same problem, am on to dr no#4 and still no answers, its driving me crazy!!! Is there any feedback on how the Estrogen went after the 1st week? As every other solution I have tried so far seems to work temporarily then come back 10 fold. I to have has reoccurring yeast infections and a recent bladder infection, which the doc diaged as PID.. but then these tears showed up and I am not so sure thats all there was to it. Would love some feedback on estorgen therapy. Any help? I cant go on with this.
The estrogen helps to heal the 'cuts' but the itching and only go away with steriods.  (So far any way).  The cuts were half gone the first day I used the estrogen cream and completly gone tha second day. The day you start the steroids the itching swelling and burning stops but as soon as you are done with the steroids it comes back.  But they both work great as a TEMPORARY fix.
But have no fear ladies I wont stop or slow down til the real CURE and cause are known.
I dont think any person should think about their crotch this much and I am NOT going to do this the rest of my life.

Thanks!
Great GENTLE sex (smallest amount of friction possible(I was scared)) lots of lube.
One new cut this morning but my steroids are gone as of yesterday and that might be why, so good luck.
Please copy and paste this link and read it very import info for all of us.
I am hoping that everyone read the info here. this is half the battle know the cause.
I'm 23 and have been having this same problem for at least 6 months...intense itching, burning, pain, and tears on my labia and perineum.  I was tested for yeast and it came back positive.  I've had an IUD in for about 2 years and sometimes have heavy discharge.  My GYN told me that the heavy discharge is because it all builds up around the IUD strings and then gets discharged all at once (I know...lovely).  I have noticed, however, that the pain that comes with the fissures gets worse if I'm having heavy discharge.  My GYN is stumped (as it seems all of yours are as well).  I'm wondering if the PH level in my vagina is off...  I also have skin problems in other areas of my body.  Perhaps instead of seeing a GYN, we need to see a dermatologist??????

I've read every post in this thread and can't seem to find any one thing that we all have in common...
I have all the same problems as the original poster, also neg for HSV and yeast.  I did stumble across a treatment that works miracles when nothing else would do anything  to ease the symptoms or speed the healing.  

You might not believe what it is, but its Honey.  Raw, uncooked honey.  

I had recently read an article talking about the amazing properties of honey - how its been used since the days of the Egyptians to treat burns and skin infections of all types - and how modern day medicine is rediscovering its inherent anti-biotic, anti-viral and anti-fungal properties - they are even finding it works against skin infections of antibiotic resistant staff! So I figures, what the hell - Ill try it on my weird skin thing.

Anyway- for me, It has an instant calming effect on the sores, and clears them up within two days.  Maybe it will help some of you ladies here.  Best of luck.
I'de be very interested to know how you fair up long term on the A and D cream, but am glad you have found relief, hopefully for good. I am 52 now and first developed a tear on my perineum 18 years ago shortly after childbirth, I have had problems with it ever since and now it is many as well as around my anus. I don't have swelling or lumps or puss or any other symptoms.The itching and pain is shocking. I have been put on eostrogen cream and tried cortisone creams to no avail, once you stop it's back again. I have tried 3 or 4 Drs. but like the rest of you they wouldn't have a clue. It would be my bet that there is and has been little or no research done in this area, which is wrong as it is potentially physically, emotionally and marriage destroying. I was told by one Dr. to take baths with vinager as it is healing, I haven't done this one yet but will do. What about salty water, just a thought! I am currently applying Tea Tree oil, it stings a tiny bit but is mostly warm for a while. It hasn't been recommended to me, it's just self decided last resort, so ask your Dr. first! I have only been doing it for about 5 days, it's a little relieving but not healed by a long shot. One thing that might help those that aren't aware of it, soap has skin irritants in it, and you should never use them down there as much as you should never use them on your face! Two such ingredients are... Propylene Glycol and Sodium Laurel Sulphate (please excuse spelling if wrong), these are dangerous chemicals and they get into your organs too. Google them, it's an eye opener! They are also in shampoo which will irritate down there as it runs off in the shower. I have found safe products from NU SKIN/PHARMANEX they are truely beautiful! you can get products from your health food store as well, just read the ingredients. I am in Australia so your store may be called something else. I wish you dear ladies well, keep in touch and God bless.
What I find works:
A and D ointment was pretty good.  It really helped towards the pain of peeing and I think it quickened the healing time.

I have used Johnson and Johnson baby lotion (try the original plain plain formula, with no vitamins or anything added)...it helps the pain of walking and just getting around.  I also used the baby powder in the morning to help some of the excessive moisture (I am also in a very humid climate).  I switched to the baby lotion and powder because I didn't have other meds available, but they really expedited healing.

Also, I have had the great privilege of having handheld showerheads during this.  They are amazing.  They really allow me to clean thoroughly and to target precisely.  I really encourage them--especially if you are on your period during this.

While on my period, I had to stop using tampons and just use pads.  I was reluctant, but I needed the change and I am glad I did it.  I kept changing them, and I think I would consider sleeping with nothing, though, at night.  Since I have been traveling for the past months, I haven't had the opportunity, though.

I ate 1-2 yogurts a day to relieve itching.  I also tried to avoid those starchy and sugary foods (which encompasses so much!) that exacerbate the itching.

BEST THING:
Drinking water.  I am swearing by this one. I think I averaged about 2-3 liters a day during the height of everything.  At first I was a bit reluctant, because water, of course, equates to peeing more.  However, I think it really dilutes the urine so the first millisecond may have a bit of pain, but as you can shift to a side, it really is much much better than when I was drinking moderate amounts.  I also think it flushes any bacteria out.

Maybe a reason why?

I am sticking with those who see the estrogen/hormone connections.  Periods/birthcontrols/premenopausal....common connection is estrogen.  

I also wonder how much the true problem could be with the cuts (or in some cases, blisters), and then then there are varieties of yeast infections and UTI that accompany the cuts which can be easily infected.

For me, I also am really thinking this is connected to the HPV and herpes sector more and more, which I had tested positive for once, and then negative for once (after the initial test).  A partner a couple of years ago expressed concern for having herpes from oral-genital sex (a big reminder for those who may be virgins for intercourse, but otherwise engaging in sex), but he and I had both tested negative many times.  However, I have realized these slight bumps I would rarely get (maybe one bump every three or four months, along underwear between legs) is what turned into blisters this past week during the commotion.  

So for me, yes, I am beginning to really think it probably is herpes, as it is just too difficult to rule it out,even if doctors do.  Like I said, it seems to have been dormant for just a very, very long time in me, I think.  Also, I have had varying test results.  Either way, I am so grateful for a chance to share stories, symptoms, realities, and potential solutions.

I am eager to continue hearing different remedies for the symptoms.  Thanks gals.
hey guys.. me again.. well i am on day 7.. have tried almost every suggestion on here.. am now down to just tissue paper wet with water to cool and clean now and again.. i do wonder about something.. the last post talked about herpes.. i actually was told about 10 years ago, i had it.. then two years later told no, the tests were negative.. now i do suffer from canker sores in my mouth with any kind of injury, like potato chips are out for me!! if i bite my lip, i can bet a canker sore.. so, i cant help but wonder if she had a point.. maybe it is a TYPE of herpes that is being mis diagnosed???  what about chicken pox as kids ladies?? arent they in the same family as the herpes virus?? i am 99% sure they are (ok, i just looked on line and they are!!).. i had them really severly as a kid.. eyes bandaged shut the whole deal.. come on.. lets keep throwing it out there.. maybe we can find our own resolution.. i know i want to.. i do not want to live with this for the next 40 years.. (god willing!!) i am divorced, finally met someone i really enjoy and do not want this to be on ongoing issue.. really would like to find a sloution here.. so how bout it.. anyone else have chicken pox severly?? how bout canker sores..  keep the posts coming ladies.. we may not be smarter then a fifth grader, but we know our bodies!!! :)
I am thinking the canker sore world is more likely.  I never had a severe chicken pox outbreak, but it might be related.  The canker sores are regularly linked with a strain of herpes.  To be more explicit about how my former partner thought he contracted genital herpes (but again, we both tested negative after the fact):

He had had some bizarre feeling in his lips after eating dinner.  He thought it was a reaction/sensitivity to the metal, and didn't think too much of it.  However, we suspected that after he and I had kissed (therefore what was possibly type-1) orally, I then could have passed them orally to his genitals without realizing it whatsoever.

At any rate, a lot of our symptoms do align with herpes symptoms, but the number of negative tests and limited research makes me think that this is truly related to herpes.  For those in committed relationships or limited sexual activity, please honestly consider:

different ways of contracting the virus (metal silverware has been a reported way many times, for instance),

test results that are inadequate (unable to correctly identify, especially without an outbreak) or altogether false,

the ability you or a partner of having had the virus for a long time without any major symptoms (a dormancy of sorts).

I am definitely not a doctor, but I am just compiling what I am noticing from myself and others.  I could be on a completely wrong track, but I also want us to be completely honest even if it is the *H word.  

I have a major question, though....both for theorizing and also just for personal purposes....how frequently are people getting these breakouts?  Women are reporting them in conjunction to stress or their menstruation cycles, but are we talking every month?

I mostly ask because I just had my first one, and I am flat-out worried if I have to anticipate these every month from here on out???  How many outbreaks have the rest of you had and how frequently?

Thanks again so much for the support (and sorry about another long post!).
I stopped using the A&D and am using estrogen cream(PREMARIN)the same way.  It heals the fissures in a day or 2.
Saturday morning I woke up with a new cut but it was healed 4 hours later (I clean it every 2hours with unscented baby wipes and put fresh estrogen cream on it. I also have no burning any more since starting the estrogen cream.
I am lucky enough to have a doc that is willing to listen and read and ask other people and send me somewhere else if he cant do it he doest want me to suffer.
He has told me that if he cant figure it out by the end of this week he is sending me to the University there is a lady there who specializes in problems on the outside of the vagina.
The oral steroids and the estrogen cream together get rid of all the syptoms but it is only a temporary fix if you stop either one some of the symptoms come back, and that is not good enough for me so it is not good enough for him.
Remember that your docs work for you and can be fired.  Then remind them of that.
At the end of this week it will be 4 weeks that Ive been dealing with it.  

I do have a question though, Iwas reading about anal fissures to see if the is a link between the two kinds and am wondering .. Do any of you have hard bumps deep under the skin where it itches the worst?  I do above the hood.
With anal fissures they are caused by hormonial imbalance and ussually come with hemerroids(a blown out vein) which causes a lack of blood flow.  I have never had hemerroids but I am sure I have heard they itch...bad and burn.  

I am thinking that I want my doc to do a ultrasound of the area and see if the bumps are blown out veins but I would like to know if any else has noticed this, hopefully we will get this figured out soon and none of us will have to find out how long it can last.

My doc reads this so he can learn more about it too.

Do any of the 2005 post-ers ever check in I just went through agian and it looks like they just dropped off the forum...seems like they would have been nice enough to let us know if they were cured.  So we could be to ...I will.
sweetglowing11-19-2006, 08:47 PM
Hi everyone,

I know how frustrating these symptoms can be! I have had very similar vaginal issues to those posted here. I had sustained them for over a year. I had tried to find answers at my gyno and I even checked this site amongst other websites searching for any information before I found the conclusive reason for my condition.

I had small vaginal tears that came and went. My vaginal skin seemed thin, sometimes even appearing shiny. It often felt extremely dry. It also was consistently red and irritated. Sex was painful and could make my symptoms worse. I had a large “tear” in the crease of my buttocks, above my anus. All the areas would occasionally even slough off skin, like dead skin rubs off.

I tried the following based on information I got from a variety of sources:

1) Got tested for STD’s - I was negative for everything, except for HPV, of which shouldn’t cause any of these types of symptoms.

2) Used no soaps, wore cotton underwear only, wore loose clothing, washed gently, etc.

3) Natural Progesterone “wild yam” ointment – to strengthen skin (in case it was hormone related, which can happen in older women after menopause, but I’m 30, so that seems unlikely and I had hormone tests that indicated I was fairly balanced)

4) Prescription yeast infection pills and both non & prescription anti-fungal creams – in case it was yeast related. The creams tended to make my whole vaginal area burn even more. However, yeast can cause cuts, but I was negative. Be sure to ask your doctor for a yeast culture before they give you creams, etc. that may be useless or may irritate you more.

5) A steroid/anti-fungal cream mixture. - This was successful in relieving my symptoms, but didn’t seem like a long-term cure.

I tried to find hope in all these, and sometimes I thought something had worked, but my symptoms always returned. I wanted to know what I had!

I think it is important to not only communicate with your gyno, but also SEE A DERMATOLOGIST! And I don’t mean any dermatologist; ask for one that specializes in genital diseases. Mine specialized in STD’s, Genital Disease, and General Dermatology. The reason is that a general dermatologist may not be able to successfully evaluate you. I went a general dermatologist that had no idea and gave me the usual creams. Luckily, she had a fellow doctor that she knew might know more. She sent me to the doctor that eventually was able to diagnose me.

He advised the following tests to narrow it down:

1) Take Diflucan (a pill to clear yeast infections) - He had me take a dosage 3 times longer and stronger than usual to be certain. If it is successful, one should see a significant difference in a day or so. I saw no change.

2) Do a patch test. This was a 2-day test you wear on your back that can determine if you have a contact dermatitis. This means you could be allergic to something from your exterior environment. They test you for ~150 different possibilities (e.g. ingredients in toilet paper, laundry detergents, etc.) He even said that you could have an allergy that shows up in different areas than the area of contact. Example, you can touch something with your hand and get a reaction on your foot. I was allergic to a few things, but nothing that would cause my symptoms.

3) Get a biopsy, Of course this does not seem like a pleasant alternative, yet it was successful in determining the cause of my symptoms. The procedure was not nearly as dreadful as I anticipated. They take a tiny amount of skin for testing. I easily healed in a few days with no major discomfort or pain.

SUCCESS!

The test results revealed that I had very early stages of Lichen Sclerosis. The biopsy may reveal other conditions as well. This came as a surprise as most information I read on Lichen Sclerosis usually show the extreme symptoms and usually applies it to elderly women. I learned that Lichen Sclerosis can occur in young women, men and even children. It is an autoimmune disease. It is not contagious, can occur at any time, and the early symptoms can be exactly like mine. Many gyno’s are not aware of the early symptoms. Please note that itchiness was only occasionally a symptom for me, yet itchiness can be a common symptom, often making people think it is yeast.

Lichen Sclerosis can be scary; it can yield very devastating results if diagnosis does not happen early. There is no cure, but symptoms can disappear with treatment (a prescription steroid cream cleared everything up – I may have to use it occasionally to relieve any future symptoms). There is a good chance that it will not progress if kept in check. I’m back to normal, sex is comfortable (as always, be sure to use lubrication if you are irritated) and I’m happy that I at least know what I’m dealing with. Believe me, I know how frustrating it is to have symptoms and not know how to make them better.
Always ask doctors to perform tests for symptoms so you have conclusive results - yea or nay - so you are not searching in the dark, unable to determine if something worked for you for the right reason.

As far as birth control pills (they seem to cause so many issues!):
I had started taking birth control pills at the time my symptoms started (LS may be linked to fluctuations in hormones amongst a few other things), However, my condition had even continued a year later after I had stopped taking them.

I apologize that this is such a lengthy post. I just hope something in it could be an option in searching for an answer when there is so much good and bad advise out there.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

My last post is copied from another forum.
two women were diagnosed with that one lady with "sweet syndrom'  and one with  'Vulvadynia'.
All of which you need a biopsy to get a diagnosis.
GOOD LUCK
I have had the same symptoms everyone is describing on & off since August 2005.

In December 2006, I married and moved out of my former apartment into my husband's place.  When moving, I found mold in my old apartment.  Since being in my new home with my husband, I've not had any of these symptoms whatsoever until last Sunday (07/15/07) when we were visiting my mother-in-law for a week.  I noticed at her house the towels smelled mildewy and she has a dehumidifier in her basement.  To me this suggests she may have mold in her home.  However, I've been at home for 4 days now and I've still got the paper cuts, burning/tearing sensation during sex, and itchiness.  I thought I'd finally figured out the source of the problem (mold), but since the symptoms haven't gone away  after several days, I feel I'm back to square one with this mysterious problem.

Went to doctor this morning, he was very skeptical of this being a mold problem.  His first thought was that I have lichen sclerosis, but since I don't have the bumps to biopsy, he's not sure it's that either.  I'm at my wits end because this affects my sex life with my husband.  And these first months of marriage have been so wonderful, with sex being pain free:(  I'm quite sad today.

Anyone else ever assocated this with mold?
Well the more I read about   Lichen Sclerosis   the more it sounds like what I am dealing with I am calling my doc in the morning to set up a biopsy I will let you all know how it goes.
My Dr. suggested that my tears were fugal and told me to get Hydrozole, it can't be used for too long though and was only a temporary fix, while relieving the symptoms. We have mould on our ceilings that keeps returning, an interesting thought! I have often wondered if a little sunshine wouldn't help, like 5 - 10mins per day. One would need a private secluded spot (hard to come by) to shine that dial to the heavens!
Do you have to have the tell-tale white bumps for your doctor to biopsy?  I think my doctor would have done that straightaway yesterday, but he said there wasn't anything he could biopsy....(this was a gynecologist).  Let us know how your doctor chooses what skin to sample.

Faith 007:  My doc was very skeptical of this being related to mold.  He said it was just a fluke that my symptoms seemed to coincide with exposure to mold:(  This is so devastating.  I thought all these months I'd finally figured out the problem and now it's back.  I'm 27 years old and can't have sex whenever I want ;(
No I dont but according to the 500 or so articles any area of effected skin (swollen, cracked, torn,oddly pigmented, there are lots and lots)
I am going in at 9 am in the morning so I will let you know.
Also acording to the articles gyno's dont usually know much about it. Dermatologist ussually do the test the only reason my gyno is, is that he is the only doc I have.
I will let you all know about it tomorrow.
ok, so i'm reading/writing on 2 forums....WOW!  I can not believe that this is such an undiagnosed and unsolved problem for us.  I have all of the SAME issues...and I'm not even going to write my history or symptoms, because they are the SAME as almost all of the posts I just read.  
So here's my question:

what can I put on my vulva to stop the itching?

And here's my tip:

try pouring a cup of cool water over your vulva while urinating when you have tears/fissures...it dilutes the urine and decreases the burning.  

And here's my theory/question/hypothesis:

are we suffering from yeast infections/varying pH levels due to estrogen level imbalances?

peace to all...and let's FIGURE THIS OUT!  :-)
I started suffering with the same symptoms approx. 4 months ago. Still do not know what it is since it goes and comes back. Sex with my husband is very painful so I avoid it if possible.

Let your doctor know it is contagious. My niece who is 7 yrs old has the same papercut on the labia and lots of itching. I took care of her for a few days and she must have used the master bathroom when I was having a bout. I am so devastated.

For all our sake, I pray and hope for a cause and cure soon.
I know everyone has pain externally, but does anyone else have pain INSIDE their vagina during sex?  Is this a symptom of lichen sclerosis?  With every inch my husband penetrates, pain comes.  The specific feeling is a burning/tearing sensation...it feels as though my vagina is too small.  Even though I know my vagina is not too small for him because we've had sex hundreds of times pain free.
i think all of the pain (inside or out) is due to raw, sore, itchy skin that is not surviving in a natural state.  i don't think it's contagious, as much as it's probably hereditary.  i'm really going on the low estrogens levels.  i think that these hormones regulate sooooo much of our bodies, including the pH of our vagina and vulva area.  incorrect pH then equals increased yeast infections, dryness, itching, skin tears....etc.  i dunno, these are just my theories.  i read a lot on estrogen yesterday, and decided to take an herbal supplement to increase and regulate my hormonal levels.  it may take a while, but i'm gonna try this and see what happens.  no health insurance right now.....so i'm self-medicating.

one more helpful idea:
buy baby washcloths to use down there on the tender areas.  they are very soft and can be moistened for cleaning or even used to dab away urine.  

lil2blunt....any updates?
Quote:    "My last post is copied from another forum.
All of which you need a biopsy to get a diagnosis. "

I don't know what 'sweet syndrome' is, but you do not need a biopsy to diagnose Vulvodynia. You need a gyn who knows what this is and a physical therapist who will check out your pelvic floor muscles to determine if there is a problem.

Douching of any kind is bad.  You will only disrupt an already fragile vaginal ecosystem.  Eating yogurt is a myth. The bacteria in yogurt can not travel to your vagina, also they are of the wrong strain so they do not have the ability to attach to your vaginal walls.

Take it easy with applying steroids to your vulvar area.  This will thin out your already inflammed tissues.  This makes you more prone to cuts and fissures.

Do not use products containing glycol or any other type of alchohol or sugar.  No babywipes, no perfumed products, no dryer sheets.  Use All Free and Clear detergent for your clothes.  Wash yourself with water and your fingers only.  As someone suggested, rinsing with water after urination can help ease symptoms too.

If in pain or itching, you can try a sitz bath, using a frozen pack of peas. Try not to ice the area, as this can also lead to damaged skin.

Fight to get a proper hormone panel done.

To help ease the dryness, you can use a little dab of olive oil, coconut oil or crisco shortening. This helps alot when you have your period.  Beware of Always brand products.  Many women are alergic to their pads.  Try Naturecare pads.

I suggest reading the following book by Dr. Elizabeth Stewart,  'The 'V' book'.  There is a wealth of information in that book that every woman should know.

If you are having pain inside your vagina, you should look up information on vaginmus:  http://www.vaginismus.com/

Also,   vulvodynia.com has a lot of information.

One last tidbit.  Try to avoid yeast treatments that use creams or suppositories.  Once you become sensitive to stuff like monistat, the reaction will only get worse.  Asking for a  yeast culture and having it typed with sensitivities is a good thing to do.  Though I was told by a top notch dermatologist, that many cultures will also be negative even though there  may be a low level infection going on.  Especially if you have developed a sensitivity to yeast.

Foods to avoid or cut back on,  wheat gluten, sugar, alcohol.  There is a candida diet ( I don't have the info) but may be worth looking into.  

fs
Well my doc spoke to the woman from the university for 3 days and she told him what to do.  So he did more cultures and said thinks I have a 'rare' yeast infection and gave me a new cream.  he did not want to do a biopsy this time because it would create another area to be infected but he sent the cultures to the university to be examined and said he will be sending me next Monday to the university to see that woman if the results come back negative for yeast.  

The woman said she will do a biopsy if all these test come back negative.  

I wiil keep you informed.
All of us are getting our info from each other, other forums, our docs and web searches if one or more of us give wrong information such as how a test is done it would be accidentaland what I read on the web.  We are all only trying to help each other. We are all dealing with this **** that totally consumes our lives, and we all just want it to go away.

We are also very tired of people who only want to tell us that it is herpes when we have already tested negative for it.  Even the people who have herpes said that they KNOW that this is not the same thing. Those poor women are dealing with twice as much.

We are here to support each other because people in our lives that dont have it dont understand even though they want too.  Trail and error is the only way we are going to get this taken care of and that is what we are trying to do.

So if you are from that other forum and the person who was telling everyone that this is herpes and just being mean to everyone then we dont need you here,  if you are like the rest of us, and just need the help and support that the rest of us do, then please join us, and help everyone on here stay positive.  A negative attitude is easy enough for us to come by without any help.

hi all!!! i too, am uninsured at the present time.. so i am trying to self medicate as well.. i also got a hormone supplement to try to "balance" levels like the box suggests.. also bought a cream that is supppose to do the same thing.. now that i take a step back, i have spent so much on treatments and preventative!! i should have just gone to the doc.. my guy has been gone for a week, and i was in so much pain the week prior we have only been togehter the one time thus far and the outcome was horrific!! sooo, he comes home tonight.. i cant wait and i am scared to death at the same time.. i took suggestions and picked up so astro-glide (fyi, k-y anything is yeast city for me!! especially the warming ones!!), with any luck, this time will be different.. i am 43 and have had this problem once a couple years ago, but no where near this bad..i can not imagine a night of loving and 7-10 days for immense pain for the rest of my life!! my hope and prayer is that we will find the culprit and put it to rest...  to the gal who is thinking contagious, i have two grown daughters that live with me, and you know teenage girls, they are in my stuff all the time!! neither of them have it (or at least no sypmptoms yet!!) (on that note fyi, i did have my first pap and pelvic at the ripe age of 12 for vaginal discharge, the diagonsis was simply, some people have more saliva in their moths, some woman have more of a natural discharge!! not sure if anyone else had this issue as a kid!)

lil2blunt, please please let us all know what your doc says and i so pray they figure it out for you as well as the rest of us.. i am with barbie 1979, i want to be able to have sex anytime i want, and be pain free...  hang in there ladies, not sure about the rest of you, but just knowing i am not alone in this makes in a little easier to handle.... happy friday
There was nothing derogatory, demeaning or negative in my statements.  

These are facts that I have picked up over the past 3yrs suffering from 24/7 constant vulvar pain due to vulvodynia.

There is a lot of mis-information out there and a lot of unkowlegable doctors.   When women deal with these issues, they need to know what is going on so they can look for a doctor who can help them with the proper treatment.   Incorrect diagnosis, patronizing doctors and ignorant doctors can be difficult for some women to deal with.   Some old wives tales and home remedies can actually make things worse and more difficult to diagnose.
I do apologize for the misunderstanding.

It would have been different had I known but in your first post on here you criticized everything we have said in our search for something that would help.  You did not mention anything that would tell us that you had any diagnosis of any sort, only that we were wrong. I am sure that everyone else feels all bad feelings easier while dealing with this, because we already feel so bad already that negativity is easy to come by. That is not something that will help any of us heal mentally or physically.

Again, I do apologize.
Has anyone else noticed that the dates of this message board go from 07/24/05 to 06/25/07?  I find it hard to believe that there were no posts between these dates?  Is there part of this message board missing?  How can we find out?  There is a poster by the name of "mindboggled" who had a biopsy and I can't find her posting of the results due to the dates jumping from July 2005 to June of 2007.  I'm curious to know what her results were, what action was taken from there, the rest of the story, etc.

Also, the original poster "arrowsmom" mentioned a specialist in lebanon, N.H.  I looked it up and found the Hitchcock Medical Center Vulvar Clinic... I'm going to see my doctor again on Monday, I'm going to beg him to do a biopsy, and I'm also going to ask him to contact these specialists in N.H.

I'd also like to add that, I had a bout with this previously that lasted for 16 months.  I tried all these home remedy type things that people have posted about, and nothing worked.  I had a "remission"  period starting in December 2006 and this problem has returned as bad as ever as of 2 weeks ago.   I don't want home remedy advice I want medical advice.  This is not in my head, otherwise, why would it go into remission as suddenly as it has reappeared?
I emailed the sites tech support about a week ago to find out about  'mindboggled'  because she got my attention too.
They have yet to reply though.

I dont know your location but the University of Michigan has a clinic like this, and there may be one at your local university (just a thought).

Good luck with the biopsy issue ( I threatened my doc telling him if he doesnt have results for me I would be going somewhere else).
The docs dont seem to understand that we are ready to gouge it out with a potato peeler.  That it effects everything in our life and we just want to feel like a human being again.
They dont get the fact that even if we are healed up enough to attempt to have sex that we dont get as much out of it as normal because we are scared to death.
I bet if their marriage or sex life was effected by it we would all be cured already.

Sorry I'm not having a good day I have been crying since I woke up feeling like this will never end.

I do wish you luck and when you get the results from your biopsy please do not forget about us.

Found the following in another forum. I posted the question as to a diagnosis or is it just to treat symptoms I will let you know as soon as I get an answer.  Also here is the link to the forum.

FYI.  I went to my ob/gyn a couple weeks ago.  He prescribed Nystatin and Triamcinolone - Acetonide Cream USP.  I haven't had a problem with vaginal cuts since.  The cream doesn't burn like what I have used before for a yeast infection.  After sex, I applied a little bit and felt fine in the morning!  I feel great!
My gyn prescribed a combo Miconazol 2% Triamcin .1% cream as of this past Tuesday.  I too have had external results with this as far as no paper cuts.  I still have the redness though.  Sex is still painful on the inside as of Wednesday night, but I didn't have the usual swelling/burning/paper cut after effects.  Since Wednesday night I've been putting this cream INSIDE of my vagina.  I plan to have sex Saturday night to see if putting it there helps ease the pain inside my vagina.  My doc wanted to try this for a month, but when sex was still painful on Wednesday, I made another appt. for this Monday.
I called to get info from the Hitchcok place and the transferred me to the Mass. office.
The docs name is Elizabeth Stuart  # is  
The doc is on vacation for the next 2 weeks but the receptionist talked to some of the nurses and got some print outs on diseases and infections that can cause this problem we are all having, that I can take to my doc.  She is sending them to me today. When I get them I will scan them to my pc and post them so that we can all have a chance to maybe get a closer look at specific symptoms that we relate to the most to better help our docs help us.
I will be going back to the doc Monday as well. and plan to point out this forum again. He sent the link to the lady in Ann Arbor and I just hope we can all get this over with soon.

I hope that works for you, Let me know. I would love to have sex agian and be able to just enjoy it.

Have LOADS of fun on Saturday I will be looking forward to Sundays report, Hopefully I will be able to read the smile in your words.
Aiyiyi - I'm joining the club - this has been a problem for me for ages... at least four years, if not more. I'm 21, sexually active, tested negative for herpes. Last time my doctor told me that a yeast infection caused the fissures... and I am quite prone to them, but it sounds like some people here are having them even WITHOUT a yeast infection?

It does seem absurd that this is so common and so completely mystifying to doctors. Then again, it probably never killed anybody so there goes all the funding for research. :P

Is it bad to keep putting that "vulvar cream" that comes with yeast infection medicine on it? To tell the truth, I'm not sure it's helping anyway...
funny someone mentioned the triamcymilone.. i just started using that at the tail end of this last bout.. wasnt sure if it worked or i was at tail end.. but thanks for the fyi.. :)

lil2blunt.. :( sorry your having a tough day.. i am sending you a hug and a smile and hopefully in a year or so (being optomistic and realistic!!) we will all know what the cause is and have treatments.. thus creating a bunch of much happier men in the world.. dont they say if mama aint happy aint nobody happy!!!  hang in there sweetie!!

barbie1979!! good luck saturday.. hopefully come monday we will all have wonderful stories to share and not horror stories..

also wondering if any of you use tampax?? i asked once before, but no one responded.. i have used them for years.. and i mean years!!! :) and yes, sometimes when i am not on my period.. was also sexually active at a pretty young age.. not alot of partners, but started young?? anyone else.. i am just trying to find a common denominator.. if we start backward maybe we can move forward... please keep the info coming.. share what works for you.. even though it may not work for everyone.. out of desperation, i tried almost everything (lil2, i didnt try the pickles!!) and some of it worked for me and some didnt, but it helps us newbys at least have a direction to go in!!! :) keep it coming..

free spirit, please know that we all appreciate input and some times we all have bad days.. what have you found that helps for you and how were you diagnosed and how long did it take for your doc to figure it out?? thank you a million times for the 411 on monistat!! seems to make EVERYTHING WORSE!!  have used it about every  other month for the last 2 years for itching and my doc said i was having recurring infections were from being perimenopausal.. (she is not a doc is an np.. maybe she didnt know!!) i had just done a treatment about a week before this happened so now i wonder if that made it worse?? i dont know..but thanks for the info!!!

ok, i am shutting up now.. :) thanks ladies
forgot to mention -- i'm married (14 years).  as far as i know he's been faithful.  says he has.  no reason to doubt him.  i've been faithful.  no history of stds for either of us (hubby's been my only one; he only had a couple of other partners).  two children.  i dog i cat.  used to use tampax but stopped when this started (which is ok cause they leaked anyway); now i use thin maxi pads when i'm doing a yeast treatment or on my period, no pantyliners in between periods.  
hello, all.
i have been dealing with this problem since mid may.  started out as itchiness in my vulva right after a period.  super intense itchiness that would just appear then disappear.  after a few days, used a mirror to look and my skin in that area (the fleshy bit above the clitoris) was flaking off (!) and had one tiny fissure.  went to the dr. that week.  she said yeast infection (her exact quote after looking at the culture was "all kinds of yeast in there."  after the 7 day treatment (store brand miconozale), no real results.  didn't have any other symptoms of yeast, no cheesy discharge, no vaginal itching, no yeast odor.  never had a yeast infection before.  washing area with water only and being careful not to stretch the skin when i wash, use "free" laundry detergent (no dyes, perfumes, etc.), cotton undies, loose clothes.

two weeks after first appt., went back because i had strep throat.  told her itch/fissure problem hadn't gone away.  she suggested repeating treatment at least twice since i would have to be on antibiotics for the strep.  did the antibiotics (at least the strep went away).  repeated 7 day treatment in June after i finished them.  no change.  waited a week, tried other stuff -- antibiotic ointment, petroleum jelly based -- made it itch waaaay worse, had to wipe it off (is the neosporin someone mentioned this kind of clear greasy ointment or is it a cream?  any kind of petroleum ointment stuff makes mine itch like crazy).  tried aloe, seemed to help a little for a while but not much.  tried over the counter hydrocortisone -- didn't help, plus i didn't want to be using steroid cream for long anyway.  at beginning of next period (early july), did 3 day treatment (clotrimazole).  no change.  i'd have one good day, think i was getting better, then wake up in the night with that itchy feeling.  haven't been scratching (really hard not to, but i don't want to irritate the skin any more.  

gave it a couple of weeks and just did another 7 day yeast treatment.  no change.  surely if it was yeast related it would have gone away by now?  like i said, never dealt with yeast infections before -- do they go on and on for months like this?  recently started low carb diet (basically gave up sugar, white flour, junk food)to lose a little weight (about 15 lbs) and to see if cutting out sugar and white flour will help.  taking acidopholis tablets and eating sugar free yogurt daily.  37 years old, sex about 3 times a month.  doesn't seem to be related to sex at all; if i wait two weeks it's just as bad as if i don't.  just the one tiny cut and itching in the surrounding area and occasional skin flakiness (doesn't look at all like photos of lichen sclerosis, btw, no skin thickening, any of that, nor is it spreading to other areas).  some days doesn't itch at all, but others like crazy.  maybe it is a stress thing, and thinking about it just increases the stress so it won't go away.  i'm ditching the yeast treatment for a month or so, going to try meditation for stress relief, and continue with the low carb diet.  don't really see the point in going to the dr since they don't seem to be able to figure out what the hell it is.  i'm just glad mine isn't anywhere near my vagina.  i have no pain during sex -- just itchiness!  glad to see i'm not the only one dealing with this.  too bad none of us are in medical school -- we could become obgyns and dedicate our life to educating the public about this and searching for its cause!  you're all in my thoughts!
it seems that ive been having THE SAME exact problem as m2w&l .... almost to the T, except i have the same reoccuring cut near the opening of my vagina and my GYNs (i went to 2) say its a really tough spot for a cut to heal. sex hurts so im trying to avoid it to give it time to heal, although i cant tell how much thats helping... ive been tested for STDs, infections - alll negative although i did try treatments for yeast infection and BV, no apparent results. the funny thing is the itchiness started around mid-may as well after my period ended. i'm guna try some ointments once my period ends and if the cut is still there after a month, i guess i will revisit my GYN. pleaase let me know if there is any improvement in your case. I'm 19 only having sex with my boyfriend and just got my wisdom teeth removed in late march which caused me to be on antibiotics for a month and a half, oddly when strange things started happening (pain during sex, reoccuring cut, soreness/tenderness) i recently went off the pill to exclude any potential factors. i have faith we will find a solution... hopefully.