Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures
For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
Does your "rash" appear to be like a white or blackhead (pimple) or is it more like exzema (which is usually allergy related).

If it's pimple like, my first thoughts are hormones, especially if they are along your jaw or chin which often indicates hormones or an imbalance of hormones.  

It is quite possible that fissures are caused by more than one contributing factor, so I wouldn't eliminate celiac disease as a possible cause.  In fact, I will keep that in mind for my daughter's fissures as celiac disease is in her Dad's side of the family.  Something to think about!

I use Grape Seed Oil to remove my eye make up and moisturize around my eyes at night.  It is also good for dry skin or as a personal lubricant.  And it is all natural!
I am in the process of getting diagnosed with an autoimmune disease and I also have these paper cut-like fissures (as well as many other symptoms).  What they are telling me is either Crohn's disease or Behcet's disease...anyone else, does this sound familiar?
I have a autoimmune desease...CELIAC DESEASE and I have the same symptoms.

Yes keep it in mind it is over looked a lot! They say it IS GENETIC!!!! Also if you are gluten intolerant than most of the time you are lactose also.

No my pimples are on my neck, shoulders and chest. They are red they look just like pimples and go away and come back and hurt, ich and are oily  SOMETIMES! I also have PCOS...I am so lost I am working on jsut getting balanced and getting normal periods.
I was so reassured to read about all of the problems you have each had with vulval tearing. My problem started about 2 years ago. I have been with my partner for 4 years, and suddenly sex became a huge problem. Each and everytime we attempt to have intercourse the pain is unbearable and I tear and bleed. I have been to 3 separate doctors for the same problem because I was concerned about herpes and candida, however both tests came back negative on three occassions. My docs suggested lubricants etc, but there is only so much lubricant you can use!!!! (and with NO benefits). I worry about whether there may be an underlying neoplastic lesion...

has anyone had any biopsy results back with any pointers?
Regarding the pimples, another thought is lactose intolerance.  I break out when I eat too much dairy so I take a digestive enzyme capsule before eating any amount of dairy.  Combined with hormones, it is the reason I get pimples on my neck and jawline.  Give the digestive enzymes a try, as you mentioned, with you having celiac disease there is a really good chance you are lactose intolerant as well.

I have been dealing with these symptoms since 2004.  It all started with a yeast infection and then another yeast infection, and then another one.  I have had other medical issues in the past few years, some which I've had to take antibiotics for which are known to cause a yeast infection.  So... recurrent yeast infections is my problem.  I am on the 'it's caused by yeast' train also, as someone else mentioned.  

My symptoms:  I am always itchy, red, swollen, with burning and pain during and after sex.  The cuts are present more often then not.  I am on seasonale birth control where I only have a period every 3 months.  It's not my birth control because I have tried everything and the cuts and related symptoms where always present.  I have tried many, many different types of treatments for yeast infections and unfortunately, if there is any relief it doesn't last long.  Your body's natural yeast flora can become resistant to treatments pretty easily.  

I recently went back to my dr after a treatment from my gyno proved to not really help except to relieve the pain from the tears but it wasn't healing them.  My dr is wonderful!  I really love her.  She also struggles with an inbalance of yeast flora.  She explained it to me like this:  your body has natural yeast flora inside and on the skin.  Some women have life long struggles with balancing the yeast and so can suffer symptoms like we are do.  There is no specific cure-all since everyone's body is different.  She said it is possible to have these symptoms on the exterior of the vagina without really having a full on yeast infection, because yeast flora is always present in and on our bodies.  I asked her about it possibly being low-estrogen levels (was mentioned on this board many times); she said no because the type of birth control I'm on has high levels of estrogen.  I asked her about Lichen Sclerocis, she is familiar with LS (had just been at a conference about it) and said it looks different then that.  Herpes has been ruled out as has other STD's.  I have been tested for many types of yeast and have a resistent type that often will not show up on culture tests unless the type is specifically tested for.  My dr said my cells are incredibly healthy looking but there is a high amount of yeast present.  

We talked about my diet and agreed I need to cut out sugar and yeast as much as possible.  Someone talked about a candida free diet.  I bought a medical health book that talks of this and how it can be incredibly helpful for women who battle yeast infections.  My sister who also has struggled with these same symptoms we all have has stuck to this diet strictly and has been symptom free for over a year now.  It says to cut out the following foods: sugar and sweetening agents (honey, maple syrup for example), sugar containing foods like cookies, cakes and pastries; candy, ice cream, sweetened cereals, soda, fruit juice, white flour products (like white bread, pasta, pizza, crackers); and yeast or fermented foods like bread, alcohol (especially beer and wine), vinegar and foods containing vinegar like ketchup, mustard, mayo, most salad dressings; pickles, soy sauce, aged cheeses, peanuts and peanut butter; mushrooms, dried fruit; prepared soups and yeast containing foods.  

Feels like you can't eat anything after reading that but here are the good foods to eat when on an anti-candida diet: meat, fish, eggs, beans, legumes, veggies, seeds, oats, brown rice, moderate amounts of fruit except grapes.  

So... my dr suggested I start trying to use this diet, at least cut out sugar and watch the amount of beer and wine I consume since they are my drink of choice.  Dr also prescribed my a combo steriod cream to heal the cuts.  

Someone mentioned they were using a cortizone cream... my Dr said to NEVER treat yeast symptoms with cortizone alone because it will make it worse.  

Good luck to you all.
Yep, yeast does thrive on sugar.  Good info on the diet, Elizabethsm5!  Unfortunately, i think I would die! ha ha ha  Guess I'll have to suffer the cuts.  Since I'm not a very good veggie eater and somewhat picky in general, I think it would be really difficult to follow it.  I love too many of the "no-no's"!  I bet I could lose those last 5-10 pounds though if I followed it!

I hope it helps you and I wish you the best of luck.  Keep us posted!
I hear ya jp813!  I never said it would be easy to do.  I love all of the no-no's!  I am just going to work at it slowly.  I don't drink soda, and I am cutting out raw sugar.  I will limit the amount of bread I eat and beer or wine I drink.  

Anyway.... the cream has helped alot after only 1 day so I am pleased with that.  I hope it keeps working.  
I feel all your pain & am jealous of those that have found their own answer to this. I find it difficult  to accept that all of us have the same/similar findings and it can supposedly be brought on by a spider bite or staff infection... two completely different sources. I think it goes deeper and although there a few younger girls(nieces, etc.) that have these fissures, they don't have the whole shebang of itching, redness, swollen areas,etc. The one common link we all have is birth control. We are or have been before taking an oral contraceptive and to think it has no long term side affects is exactly what they want us to assume. Did any of you have this "yeast infection topped with a whole lotta other ****" before you began BC? I read the forum in its entirety....it's ridiculous to think we all have our own independent causes singularly. I had NO problem getting wet, excuse me, before I started taking birth control & it's been more than an issue now. Manmade lubrication does not mean that your vagina is prepared for penetration - natural wetness is an indicator that the tissue and internal cavity are ready. Astroglide, as well as staff infections, are not the answer. I live in SoCal and am willing to take further steps to have the long term effects of BC investigated.....does anyone else feel this to be the commonality & potential culprit? I am sick of this careful life of planned sex....it's not fair & it pisses me off that the world just tallies it up as women not being as horny as men! Ha! How bout our coochies are under attack!?! Much love to all you ladies, Meg
I am not on birth control and I have the same thing as all you in here and its driving me crazy Help!!!!!!!
I'm also not on birth control.  I had the same symptoms: tears, itching, flaking, redness about 4 months ago.  I went to see my family doctor 2 months after it had started and she didn't know what it was but prescribed me with an oral steroid that cleared it up a bit but it came back after I had finished the medication.  I went to see a gyno who didn't know what it was either but she prescribed me a steroid cream used for treating severe inflammatory skin disorders such as eczema, psoriasis and lichen sclerosus.  I had to use the cream for 4 weeks and everything went back to normal.  I haven't used the cream since then and I'm really happy now.
Thanks for responding! I have just ciut out lactose in my diet and I just got a period after being 5 weeks late. My pimples are clearing up and my tears and inflmation went away. It got really bad right before i started my period, pimples and cuts....nut now i am on a NO gluton diet and no dairy so i have no idea what made it clear up? Hormones, getting my period? I just started to use different tolit paper becasu the one i was using contains gluton.....I hope this diet works and it does not come back! Do you suggest any calicum pills? I take centrum right now and cutting out all dairy i am going to need some?
i dont know what to do anymore. I have had this condition for almost a year now and am so tired of it. It ruined my sex life with my boyfriend and because of it we're not together anymore. I've been to doctors and been given nystatin cream, treated a yeast infection hoping it would go away and it didnt, and also treated BV hoping it would go away with the same result. It used to be I would get a fissure right before my period and it would go away until my next cycle but now they seem to come whenever they feel like it. I usually get them outside thet inner lips but now have one right under my clitoris and want to die. It's so painful. I've been tested for herpes and yeast and everything with no results. I just want it to end. Im going to my doctor with some of these names that I've read above hoping for some answers. Just needed to vent.
My conditon is extremely similar to the one above.  Since July, I have been getting reocurrent cuts on the outter lips and the perienum.  I saw my doctor a few weeks ago.  I was tested for std's and herpes, both of which turned up negative.  I too experience paper cuts right before my period and clear for 2 days and they are back again.  My boyfriend of 5 years is very frustrated and tested clean for stds.  I did believe the toliet paper i use at work was a factor because we get it at the dollar store.  Anyhow, I used nystatin and triamcinolone and acetonide cream.  The results were great for about a week after treatment.  Then I had sex with the boyfriend and used the shower head to clean the area real good.  Then immediatly following my shower I felt really dry and my "lips" were stuck together. The next day, I looked in the mirror and noticed a "cut" on the outter lip (along with reddness).  I have a feeling it could be attributed to the water softener because the water was really hard be cause the softener had no salt in it.  This is just a theory, I have many because I cannot pinpoint the cause.  My dr couldn't give me an explanation either.  I dont think i have been doing anything different since July.  It seems like this popped up with no explanation or any relief! ???????
i get one cut near the anal area / perineum..gone in 24 hours w neosporin..no pain besides if the skin is stretched and the cut is touched.  resembles a v small paper cut..doesnt hurt..causes no discomfort

i am totally freaking out that it could be herpes.  does not resemble and is not painful but i am so scared..dont have med insuranse right now...started in may of this year ..i got the 1st one the day i finished a 20 day (500mg each day) of TETRACYCLINE..for rosecea on my face...face clerared up then i got a horrific yeast infection

went for a herpes test..not the one this site is saying..it was a test for both types...herpes 1 was a 5.50 and herpes 2 was 1.08 (THEY SAID THIS WAS EQUIVICOL AT QUEST DIAGNOSTICS..NOT POS OR NEG.....this site is saying that a positive hsv1 test can give a false positive on hsv 2 which i have heard in several other sites

the other thing that is confusing me is that about once a month...either right before or right after my period i get the chills for about 2 hours at night and cant sleep till theyre gone...v strange and not related to cuts i dont think

everything ive read about herpes so far doesnt match at all to what i have....and i am prone to yeast infections----i am 29 and have them 4 as long as i remember....i got a 2 cuts in may 2 weeks apart, one in june, one in july and none in august...

any ideas??? one time i know for sure the cut appeared after i passed a stool that was quite large and painful (not to be gross) just trying to paint a pic...the other times just appeared..always just one..never last more than a day

i am also prone to hemmroids..think it could be related

i also read that fissures cause chills....im so confused...the result of the hsv2 freaked me out ...they said it was EQUIVICOL.....NOT POSITIVE

Whenever females take anitibotics they almost always get a yeast infection.  Your ph gets upset by the antiboitics because when it kills the un-natural bacteria it in turn kills the healthy bacteria.  Yeast infections can cause irritation and slices on the vulva.  My doctor told me this about two weeks ago.  I dont have yeast, therefore, I dont know what is wrong with me !  I would purchase an over the counter cream.  I would use the 7 day, the 3 days are useless.  Because yeast infections to affect the vulva.  Sounds like you have one that hasnt cleared up yet.  And it won't hurt you to try that at all.  Im not sure about the herpes tests, that is all new to me or the chills.  But my dr also told me herpes can be characterized by cracks and fissures.  Geeze i hope i helped.  I cant help myself because i have no idea what might be the cause for my cracks.  I dont think it sounds herpetic though.  Most likely related to your yeast infections.  Let me know what happens, aye?
omg please help me, i'm only 13, and there has been yellow liquid coming down from my vagina, this is embarassing but, it itches ALOT, i mean it hurts when i scratch and when i wipe myself i feel like screaming, please elp i need it! i'm scared and afraid to tell my mom because she always teases me and makes me feel bad please HELP! AND I"VE HAD TEARS OMG I"M REALLY REALLY SCARED!!!
Could roscacea be a common thread here?

Also, I quit my BC after 13 years and then went back on due to jawline breakouts.  The tears began a few weeks after resuming the BC (the acne went away)
Hey girl, it sounds like you have a yeast infection or maybe a bacterial infection. Take a mirror and take a look down there. If you flex your vaginal muscles to make them open and you see whitish/yellowish goo up there start to come down, it's a yeast. VERY itchy, but can be soothed with Monostat from the grocery. However, I think just getting the yeast out is better. I take a mirror and see what's going on, then push hard and wipe out what comes out. Keep the area dry, even using the cool setting on a hair dryer helps. Talcom powder reduces the moisture. Warm baths followed by a quick cold splash feels good too. Good luck honey! And if you can't talk to your mom because she's silly with you, go to a female teacher or counselor you trust at school.
So maybe this is a normal phenomenon happening to us all regardless of birth control, seeing how pollution and diet could be the culprit. However, mine started out at the vulva, labia, about two weeks ago. Now, I have gone from one fissure above my anus to 4 around my perineum and still the anal one too. My vulva feels 100% better as well as my internal vaginal cavity and labia, but my perineum and anus feel like I have fire ants running around down there! What the hell ya'll!!?! It's like my vagina passed it to my booty! Weird, has anyone else experienced this? Also, I don't have rosecea...I don't think that's it. This sucks. My poor boyfriend...it's unacceptable that we can't fornicate without such ridiculously painful repercussions....darn it, Eve! I'm gonna go to planned parenthood and see what they say. Please don't forget about this forum, Ladies! We may be onto something that women everywhere have been keeping quiet about. Something that desperately needs a cure!!! And this group helps us each deal, you know?! Have a fabulous, itch free  Sunday!
I made it half way through the posts. Tons of ideas here.  Dealing with same issues!  Mine started with intense anal itching--thought it was pinworms.  Anal itching went to vaginal itching--to the point where I would scratch myself raw but not create the cuts

Who is going to complile all the information and see what commonalities there are????????????????  LOL

My theories:

The water softner that our landlord has and maintains sporadically.  That is, the water goes from extremely hard to softened.  Often we smell/taste copper, iron.

TP?, we had switched to the soft DUSTY stuff and I hated it.  Went back to Scott.  

Allergy to my hubby's semen and/or the condoms. I don't have a known latex allergy.

Tampons--tried a million brands, seems to get worse after using them.  Haven't tried pads.

Mollusum--my 2y/o daughter has the molluscum, positively ID'ed by a biopsy.  Apparently, it is highly contagious and there is no treatment, heals itself in time.  It is considered a virus.

The systemic yeast sounds promising--I 've had one on and off for a while.  No antibiotics.  Often without symptoms.

32 years old
dog, bird, snake, mouse--rarely handled
Antidepressants (zoloft)
Walmart prenatal/nursing vitamins
poor diet
little exercise
stress
well water
breastfeeding

Blessing
PS to my above/previous post:

No birth control, have been off for about 2 years

Irregular periods-
-started a few months ago, keep getting earlier, will bleed heavy for a day or so, then extremely light for another day or so.  Used to be like clock-work, same week, consistent flow.

Blessing
I found that I am allergic to glycerin!!  Stay away from personal lubricants and soaps that contain glycerin as it's a known irritant.  Many, many products contain glycerin and I read online somewhere that 20% of the population has a glycerin allergy.

Astroglide sells a new personal lubricant that is glycerin and paraben free.

http://www.astroglide.com/products_astroglide_free.asp

Why would they make a product like that unless there was a need?  I'm surprised my doctors didn't know about it.  I'm just sick of all the money that I spent on doctor visits and tests to no avail.  I solved the problem on my own from a lot of reading and searching online for a year.  It was like putting a puzzle together.

I've been using Slippery Stuff with success and things are back to normal.  I no longer have rawness, or little cuts after intercourse.  My normal color has returned as well.

I'm not sure if it's going to help everyone, but I thought I'd post what I've found.  Even if it only helps a few, at least I figured out my problem.  I know I'm not the only one.

Doctors kept telling me to use more lubrication, but it's not the lack of lubrication, it's the KIND, the INGREDIENTS!  

I also avoid using shaving cream and soap that contains glycerin:-)
Same symptoms as most everybody else.  Sigh...To answer questions about what we may all have in common: tears tend to appear around a week before my period/I have used Dove soap, but stopped for a while using some other natural non-dye non-perfumed soad, but still the problems remain/have had problems with yeast infections that reoccur or never seem to really go away and not often with many symptoms, mostly just itching/Negative for herpes and all stds/don't use lube (KY and others were irritating)/ not on birth control/ 33 years old/ like starchy foods - beer brings on yeast infections almost immediately/use condoms/wear normal underwear (not thong - a sure yeast bringer) I find that my tight jeans bring infections on too - I guess I'm pretty sensitive down there/not on any medication/ husband had occasional cold sores/have used tampax for years without problems - had to switch to o.b. because I am in Europe now and they are mostly what is available, but actually I rarely use them now since they either cause my tears or make them worse - even pads are irritating - can't wait for next period.

That's all I can think of for now.  I also thought I was alone and am heartened by all you caring "sisters" out there.  I emailed an old friend who is a ob/gyn resident and gave her this link encouraging her to undertake a survey/research anything to help us as this seems shockingly widespread.  I will also try to check French websites to see if they have different remedies and I encourage those who can read other languages to search online as there are different trends/solutions in different countries that don't always get shared across borders.  I will also check ayurvedic sources as they have a different philosophy to health which might prove useful.

I hope the best for all of us.
I have had the same problem for nearly 6 months now. I have a tear each side of the vulva in the crease area. I have been back to my doctor umpteen times and the swabs would always come back as BV. I eventually got referred to the Gynae clinic at the hospital here in the UK where every 6 weeks I had swabs taken and they once came back positive with BV and Group B Streptococcus. They were treated with the antibiotic Metronidazole. The itching and burning goes for a while then comes straight back again.
I have been told that I have reoccuring BV and the doctor has now given me the antibiotics on repeat when I need them. I told the Gynae Dr about the tears and she said it was Thrush! (???)
I am always itching and dread going into the shower frightened that even cleaning with just water will aggrevate it. I use Aqueos Cream, E45 cream and Vaseline. Nothing seems to work.
I have been researching the internet and it seems that the problem is likely to be Dermalogical, which is great to have answer to the problem but all GP's don't seem to know anything about it.
I am so glad its not just me that suffers and I totally understand how you all feel and its s**t!
I dont want to be in tears anymore over this horrible, and at present, untreatable condition. If anyone has anymore answers please let me know. Hope you all feel better soon :o) x
I think that I cant use glycerin. I stopped using the soap with glycerin and guess what so far I am NORMAL!!!!!! No tears, not RED I feel amazing! So on top of the gluten I think that the GLYCERIN in the soaps was making me tear and inflamed! Now I need to get soap for my hubby because when he uses certain soaps it BURNS LIKE HELL!!!! I hope this is what it is and not just a fluke! I feel great! Yeah for SEX I actually want it ! LOL. I am going to keep my fingers crossed that that was the probleM!!!!
I'm glad to hear people are finding some solutions.  Keep us updated.  I've been doing well as well.  I'm taking a daily dose of Fem-dophilus and got off the continuous (no periods) Loestrin-24 at the end of August...which BTW has helped tremendously This is the first time I've felt "normal" for an extended period of time in 2 years!!   I really think that the Fem-dophilus has certainly helped even the flora out down there which has not only helped the chronic BV, but the cuts as well. (Nyel10, I thought of you!!!) I've only had one cut recently and it was after having sex that got a little dry (ouch!)  It cleared up within a couple of days.  Will be interesting to see what happens next week when I get my period.
As for the Glycerin...hmm interesting.  I just checked and its in the new lube (Vagisil) I got, but that one feels leaps and bounds better than the KY, so I don't necessarily think its Glycerin for me, but will certainly keep it in mind.  I'm still on the "hormone" wagon.
I'm so happy to hear that other women are going through the same thing. I was tested for the "H" word a few months and came back positive, and since then I feel like everything else is wrong with me. After hearing that dermatitus has the same symptoms I wonder if it may be possible it may be that! I know that you can have a normal life with the "H" but I would certainly like to have my life back, this has taken over. Just need to talk to someone who maybe going through the same thing or feeling the same way I'm feeling.
Thanks ladies
Dear Feelbad,

I know exactly where you are.  I felt some relief thinking I had an answer and in complete shock that I thought I had Herpes.  The good news for me is after all the emotional stress, etc, I got another test and it ended up being a false positive.  I am also positive for HSV-1 (which I knew).  Every so often, if you test positive for both one and two and your results for two are between 1.0 and under 3.5, it could be a false positive.  If you have any reason to question your results, go get a confirmatory test done.  If you need more info on what test to do, let me know...I just don't have the info downstairs right now (and I'm too lazy to get up right now!!)

But even if you are truly positive, your life is not over.  Many people live with this and control it quite well.  Be sure to read the many posts from Grace on the STD patient to patient forum.  She is very helpful and very knowledgeable as a nurse and as a person who lives with Herpes.  There's also another girl named estrellab that has similar symptoms as most of us and also was diagnosed as having herpes (and her husband of 14 years is still negative!) Good luck, stay strong, and remember....herpes does not define you!
I have the same problem as everyone else.  I have been having it for over a year now...maybe longer.  I never know when its coming or going.  I have tried so many different solutions, none have seemed to work for extended periods of time.  I can deal with the tearing better than the itching and burning.  I thought it was some kind of weird autoimmune problem.  I tear so easy.  It also happened when I was breast feeding.  My nipple tore from my areola.  My son also seems to have sensitive skin, he has tears behind his ears.  I have several other autoimmune problems and I just always assumed this was a part of one of them, or another one all together.  Any thought on that possibility?  Its nice to know that there are other people with this problem.  I thought I was nuts.
I am so glad to see I am not crazy. I thought for the longest time I was the only weird person with these symtoms. Anyway.
Over the past 5 years, I would get the cuts every now and then normaly in the winter when it was dryer, so I thought it was just simular to having dry skin down there, but over the last several months they are a common accurance. As with most of you, I went to my dr and she automaticly thought herpes and had me tested...test is still out- due back in this week. She also mentioned fissures, but related it to my shaving cream and or razor.
I am really starting to think it maybe a the water at my new place. I have been dealing with this off and on since May (same month I moved).  I don't use soap down there only Summer's Eve sentitive, which I have been using for years. I haven't been on any antibiotics since Aug. I changed my laundry detergant and softener back to stuff I use to use (All free and clear and the Gain sheets)
Prior to finding this forum, I was thinking it may be from being dehydrated. Has anyone else thought that?  
I have just finished reading all the posts and would like to add my two cents and address some of the comments.

First, when I was in my early teens, I too had a heavy yellow discharge most of the time.  There was no yeast infection and I was terrified that I had cancer.   I didn't want to tell my mother either.  This has gone on all my life, not consistently, but frequently.  I had one yeast infection in my mid teens and then nothing until I was in my 40's (I am 54 soon to be 55 in January) and it took a while each time for the doctor to diagnose it.  In my 40's I also started getting very sore along with painful cut like feelings in the crack between the labia, on the edges of the labia and most times the hood of the cloitis.  If I did check it out, it just looked very very angry red.

I worked in Manhattan and never felt comfortable not wearing pantyhose even in the summer.  Most of the problems that I had started towards the end of the summer when it gets the hottest in NYC.  I also sweat profusely and some days it felt like the band on my underwear was wearing a trough where my leg meets the body on the inside edge since it was wet.  Add the sweat to a very heavy discharge of vaginal fluids and my underwear was soaking wet.  Panty liners made it worse as they scrunched together and rubbed even more.  It was very painful and every step almost brought tears to my eyes.  I remembered that when we went to the beach for our summer vacation, most of the pain went away.  I bought a small squeeze bottle that they sell for toiletries, added table salt and warm to hot water (I would not reccomend the hot water if you are very sore), sat on the toilet and parted the labia with my fingers while I sprayed the salt water on.  Then I took toilet paper and very gently dabbed some of the moisture away so that it would not run down my legs that much and went to bed that way.  The salt water had a chance to lay in all the creases and it seemed to help.  But this method took me more than a month for it to help but since the doctors had no idea what was going on (one even told me that she could not help me anymore!) it was better than nothing.

I too would get sore before my period and many a time would get a yeast infection after.  Like other people, I didn't have a usual yeast discharge or smell and would be told that I didn't have one when in fact I did and it would take a few months for the usual symptoms to show before I would get any meds out of the doctors.

Then I started going through the changes and things eased off a bit.  Now it is different.  I don't get the "cut" feeling pain but tremendous dryness and soreness.  Unfortunatley the saltwater did not help but made the dryness unbearable and painful.  I have to stop here and say that my husband and I have not had intercourse for longer than I can remember so sex is not a factor.  We have not had sex because I cannot get sufficiently "wet" (yes I know there are lubricants for that) and my husband has become over weight and lost the ability to keep an erection.  If he does get one, the lubrication turns him off and he loses it.  I find now that if I get a yeast infection, it either starts in the early spring or late summer.  I work from home now and don't have to wear pantyhose so that is not a factor.  I have begun to wonder if it is related to season allergies.  I do have spring and fall allergies though the symptoms are not like they used to be.

Five years ago while rushing to finish on the toilet, I inadvertantly stabbed my anus with my finger nail very hard.  I ended up with an anal fissure and abscess and had to take antibiotics and Flagel (yuck) for 2 1/2 months.  I only mention this because this past spring I had something that never happened before.  I felt like I had a bladder infection.  Every time I needed to go to the bathroom, it was urgent and the urethra and inside hood of the cloitis felt very irritated.  Didn't hurt, just irritated.  I told the dr and they did a urinalysis and nothing came up.  Then I started getting sore and then my anus got sore and worse and when the doctor checked me out, he said I had an intestinal abscess.  Said that I had probably strained to go to the bathroom, injured my intestinal track and bacteria got into the tear forming an abscess.  After a two week regimen of antibiotics and Flagel again, I came down with the worst yeast infection.  That was in July and I have not been the same since.  I saw a new gyno and she told me about KY Silk E for the dryness that I usually have.  Last week the soreness began again and spread to the anus.  I used the Silk E with good results for two days and then nothing.  I had an appt with my regular dr for an annual physical and she said it was yeast before even looking at me.  I asked her to look and she said it was not yeast, the vaginal canal opening looked like raw meat and gave me nothing but advice on over the counter A&D which never seems to work for me but makes it worse.

When I went to the bathroom yesterday and wiped myself, my anus had two tears and I had prinprick blood on the TP.  Yesterday afternoon the irritation started in my urethra.  So I used my trusty sqeeze bottle with plain water and flushed out the labia after I urinated each time and when I had a bowel movement, flushed out the area there before using TP, then Cottenelle wipes and TP to dry it.  Seems a little better today but still don't feel right in the entire area down there.

So to sum it up (and I know this has been a long comment):  I have gotten the pain when I had periods and now without periods, seems to come on with the onset of allergy season, hot and humid weather brings it on as does heavy sweating where my clothing gets moist, salt water helps the cuts if I don't have a feeling of terrible dryness from anus to cloitis, hydrocortisol cream helps the cuts and rawness, Analpram helps the anal cuts but nothing seems to work in the long run.  Let me just say that most of the doctors don't know their "anus" from a hole in the wall when it comes to this and I think that we are on our own and we have to figure this out.  If we were men, they would have scientists working on this night and day.
Ok... so, once again, what we all do have in common... another woman, in her 30's, that has 2 cats, cuts on her vagina, has tried all kinds of methods, previously had a yeast infection & treated it), has some slight extra discharge & feels the effect this is having on a sex life (I am a very sexual person)... is making an entry to this thread! I do have itchy skin on my legs... has been itchy for a while. I don't know if it is related, but hearing that a lot of you have exzema appears that it could very well have something to do with it. I also recently ended up with a different brand of TP... it was on sale what can I say. I found that taking a hot shower and running the water directly in and on it and then spreading eagle in front of a fan helps, but only temporarily. I have a cut inside of the top of my lips above my clit. Then, a couple days ago... there was a very small one on the "hood" of my clit. It has not bled yet, and am hoping it doesn't. I just started to experience this about 2 months ago. I am in a relationship, we do not have protected sex and I am not on birth control (not a believer in controlling my hormones unless neccessary). So... that would rule out a reaction to latex. And, I have always stayed wet enough, so that rules out lube. On a different forum, I read that one of the ladies said something about autoimmune and crohns... I research my thyroid problems constantly... and they are always talking about these 2 topics. So, I am not sure what to think about that. Anyone else here have a thyroid problem? I have not used any different brand of detergent, soap or shampoo in a long time, I am kinda set in my ways ;)  It is like the skin is getting too thin and tearing. I have a friend that can bump her arm lightly and it will cause a sore... wonder if that is happening to the vagina. I don't have anything going on with my anal area other than typical hemroids on occasion that are fairly easy to get rid of. I work with adults w/ developmental disabilities, which is like working at a school or day care... you just never know what you are going to be around.

It has helped to wash my hands before I use the restroom, wipe toward the hole (gently), use a wipey every once-in-a-while... and of course the showers. As of right now... it has been barable... and I am hoping that it doesn't get too much worse. Although, it appears as if I have not hit rock bottom yet.

I do agree that if we were men, the scientists would be working 24/7 to figure out at the very least what the heck this is. Valid point sista!

I wonder a lot if this has anything to do with our partners. Maybe it is a type of body chemistry. Maybe it is in what they eat and is why it isn't constant, but constant enough. And, maybe why it happens a lot when sex is involved.

Ok... Beauty n the Geek is on... gotta get to the tube, ladies. I hope we can all figure this one out. Best wishes.

Well it came back i guess it was not the soap! It always comes right before my period!!!! ANy suggestions
I was running to a doctor's appointment yesterday when I wrote and forgot a couple of things.

I started to use a special towel just for that area after my shower.  I use just a small towel like a hand towel and use the label side for drying my butt and the other side for my vagina.  I have toe nail fungus that is not bad but thought that maybe I was transferring it by using the same towel for my whole body.

I also only use my fingers and Cetaphil liquid soap down there.  I read that bicycle racers use it for the inside of their thighs because it is non drying and their legs get chapped and sore from all the peddaling.  I make sure that I let the water run over everything to get rid of any trace and then carefully pat myself dry.  If I am still a little damp, I use the hair dryer on cool and don't hold it too close to myself.  Over drying is just as bad.

I also forgot to mention that I was diagnosed with IBS many years ago.  I have my symptoms under control more than I did but it could be a factor.  As I said before moisture from sweating aggravates it too.  I am still looking for a connection between seasonal allergies and this problem.  If the pollen or mold is heavy in the air and you are breathing it in, it has to go through your body and exit out somewhere and that could be aggravting the sensitive skin down there.  I know that season allergies can give you stomach problems.  Just a thought.
I keep remembering things so here I am back again.  When you use the toilet, after wiping yourself make sure to check that a piece of toilet paper is not stuck to you.  I had this happen to me a few times and was in absolute pain.  The paper as it started to dry started to shrink and pull the skin or hair along with it.  It doesn't have to be a large piece either.  I just saw a commercial for a new Charmin that they claim leaves less paper behind (no pun intended!).  So evidently this is a problem that has come to their attention too.
I too get the feeling that there are ants crawling around down there from time to time.
I was suffering from these little paper like cuts too, about 2 of them both in the creases. I got treated with canistan 1 oral tablet and some cream that made it worse. I got really worried and couldn't get rid of it. The doctor thought it might be herpes, but test came back negative. There were never any blisters or anything anyway. She then gave me Resolve thrush cream to use for 7 days and then to take Ecovag to mantain the natural balance of the vagina. I am so happy to say i havent suffered from the papercuts for a few weeks now and all the other irritation is gone. It is important to carry on with treatment until finished to clear it properly. Dont skip any treatments. Just thought that might help someone as i was desperately trying to find answers too.
I am so sick of this~ I have had this for a almost a year. The doc told me today he has no idea! My hubby and I had sex today and it burned and hurt like hell! I have been so emotional! I am a very sexual person and now i hate sex cause it hurts so bad! Someone has to help us! We all have to have something in common!

I have cliac desease, hypoglycemic, PCOS, irregualr periods, married (one partner), front loader washer and dryer, cheer detergent, use to use dove soap, now walmarts hypo baby soap, certain toilit papers make me swell........???? anyone anyone?

I dont know i am just at my wits end! I have baeen to my doc every month.so much money pain and frustration!

SAME!!!!!  SAME!!!!!  SAME!!!!!
I've read thru most of the posts on this forum and this is simply ridiculous!!!!  Why in the world can the medical community not come up with an answer!!!!

I've only had this problem for about a month now.  I'm pushing 50 and have had Herpes for nearly 25 years....I can tell you this is NOT that!  I haven't had a breakout in forever and only got the canker-sore type (except blisters with the very first breakout).  But this is neither.  

I thought the low estrogen sounded like a culprit but then why are you younger women getting this???  hmmm...   I think sugar is EVIL and I have a myriad of difficulties when eating it so I'd say, for lots of reasons, staying away from processed sugar has to be a good thing.  And, if it's yeast related, gluten breads, etc. should go, too.  Eating yogurt has always helped me....and for those of you that don't want the sugar of cranberry juice, AZO makes a GREAT cranberry pill - no sugar and if I feel a urinary issue arising, that takes care of it in 2 or 3 doses.  Just FYI....trying to help!

From what I've seen here, I'm not going to the Dr. just for this.  I'll mention it the next time I go but won't be surprised if she doesn't know anything about it.  I don't have this as badly as some of you....I hope that's NOT because this is the beginning.  I'm newly married and would hate for this to interrupt our (lively) sexual relationship!!!  

Here's something new tho.....I haven't read anyone referring to G-spot orgasms.  Here's a weird one for you:  my husband told me last night, after taking a closer look at what's going on, that he actually had this problem anytime he didn't wash after we had sex.  I have very wet G-spot orgasms (I understand many women don't do that) and it's real easy to just go to sleep afterward.  So, I'm going to be sure to shower after sex and see if that makes any difference.  I'll let you know.

Oh, and I'm using Melaleuca oil....soothes and seems to help healing better than aloe (don't use them together...they don't mix!).  But it has a very strong, "musky" smell....I don't care for it but hey, whatever works, right?

The best to all of you.....and don't forget to PRAY about this!!!!  God's better help than any Dr. could even think of being!
I started reading this hoping someone will have a solution, but it seems like most of the posts are of other people who have this.

It started a year and a half ago for me, when I was 21, after a major (and first) yeast infection.

Every time my bf and I try to have sex, I get fissures, and also what one of my doctors called an "ulcer" that keeps coming back in the exact same spot. It is a DEEP cut, not like a paper cut, like a gash about 1/4 of an inch long, between my labia minora and majora. I also get fissures in the skin under the vaginal opening, and around my clit. Even if we have sex for 5 minutes, these cuts will stay for 2-3 days, and the entire area will swell A LOT and become red for at least a day. I also get fissures around my anus sometimes when I poop. It seems like the skin in that entire area lost it's elasticity, and has become dry and flaky.

Every few days I notice I have this white stuff like wet powder or little white flakes surround my clit under the "foreskin" and the skin around my labia majora. My vulva always looks red and sunken in, as if it was eroded away. I still get yeast infections every month or so (got one right now actually).

I have seen 5 different gynecologist, and also a woman who is supposed to be a specialist dermatologist/gynecologist. 3 of the gyns I saw recommended her. She gave me a bunch of different creams, all were mentioned here, and none helped. She even gave me an injection of cortisone (I think. Maybe estrogen) under that ulcer that keeps coming back, and told me it will take a month and should heal, but it didn't. Nothing helps. She said I have Vulvodynia and this ulcer she's never seen before, and fissures, but nothing she said or gave me has helped. She even put me on antidepressants (amitriptyline) to help with the vulvodynia pain, which didn't help either. I have been checked for Herpes and had a normal pap smear (so I am guessing it's not HPV).

This is really driving me crazy and making me depressed. I can never have sex with my bf, use tampons, and 1/3 of the time I go pee or poop it hurts, and it itches all the time. No one seems to know what is wrong, or what the cure is, and it seems like it will never go away. Please if anyone has any idea what's going on, post it here. I am really getting desperate. I haven't read all the articles yet but it seems like most of them are about other people having the same problems. It's good to know there are others out there who have this, but it is sad to know no one has any idea what's going on, and there hasn't been much research. Of course, that's what happens when it's a women’s' problem. I bet if it was common in guys there would have been a cure a long time ago.

Thank you for any help or information
When i get the fissures (constantly, to no end) I'm usually discharging alot (discharging 24/7)very heavy white discharge. Is it a yeast infection? Because the discharge seems to promote the cracking and the redness. Does anyone else have very heavy discharge constantly?
I do all the time! But, I went to the doc and he tested it and it is NOT yeast! I get the cutting and redness real bad before my periods and after? YOu? I would go to the doc and see if it is yeast! I wish mine was it would be a easy solution! It sucks I had one week where it was normal color not BRIGHT RED and we had sex with  no problem then it want back to being inflamed and paper cut and red! I am so over this! I am going to a specialist tuesday 4 hours from my home, my familiy doc sent me there, my gyno threw his hands up and said he has no idea! I have been dealing with this for almost a year! I am 26 and cant even have sex without feeling like someone lit a tourch on my crouch! I have been through EVERY TEST!!!!!! I am happily married and I am OVER IT!!!! OVER THE PAIN OVER DOCS having no idea and just giving up! It is something we are missing! And I hope the specialist can figure it out! Look at ALL the women seeking help on this page, it is so sad that we are  in so much pain and noone can figure it out! If I get a answer Tuesday I will be the first to tell you!!!!!
I have had this same problem that everyone is describing for over four years!  I finally had an emotional and physical breakdown six months ago and really focused on getting control of my body back. I got a new doctor at the women's hospital and she's been amazing! She treated me for a yeast infection (even if you've been tested negative, you could still have yeast) with a routine of one diflucan pill every three days for one week and then another pill a week later. As well, during the first week, I followed a "candida diet" to help kill the yeast that was quite at home in my vag. This mostly helped. When a cut/ fissure came back, my doctor swabed it (ouch) and told me that it tested for a skin infection. I took a one week antibiotic four times a day... and then another week of diflucan treatment. My vagina finally feels, looks and smells healthy. I still have a few very tiny cuts which seem to be going away over time but all of the other gross symptoms are gone! I think the skin infection was preventing the yeast infection from going away so it's important to have a doctor that has determination to get you healthy.

I don't care what any doctor says, if you have vaginal fissures and white discharge (even in the sides), you likely have a yeast infection- treat yourself! get a prescription for diflucan!
btw, shiki, yeast overgrowth can cause depression- it doesn't hurt to try.

My husband and I just had a 'quickie' for the first time in years!  i think that we all need to print up this blog and bring it to our doctors! these symptoms are so consistant and truly interfere with our lives...
btw, i don't recomend any yeast treatment other than a pill- the chemicals in the creams often give chemical burns and you end up worse than you started!
have something similar but I think that itis from 2 vaginal births and an extreme episiotomy that went all the way into my butt.  Now I am 37 and have gained some weight (30 lbs) and I feel the site of the episiotomy stretching with little bulges.  It burns and itches terribly like you all have mentioned.  I thought it was hemroids too but none of the over the counter hemmeroid stuff has helped.  I take like 4 baths a day!  The vagisil cream numbs it enough for me to function at work.  But in doing other research I found an article which is hard to read but mentioned some terms that seem to fit most of you, and maybe me.  If you can't zoom in on your screen try printing it out.  You have to get past the tone of the article which says it could be psychological!  I Googled some of the terms in it...
http://www.blackwell-synergy.com/doi/pdf/10.1111/j.1471-0528.1996.tb09694.x
perineoplasty
vulvar vestibulitis
vaginismus
introital irritation
allergic contact dermititus
vestibuloplasty
dyspareunia
heres a guy who does crotch surgery!
http://www.lasertreatments.com/CA/labiaplasty_california.html
I am almost ready to plnk down the $6500 to have him chop off the parts that are giving me pain and sew me a pretty new coochie!
To follow up from my comment I posted on 23/09/07. I went to the doctors and got prescribed the anti-biotic metronidazole but in gel form (this is also used in the treatment for Roscea). I applied the gel twice a day for 5 days as directed and all the itching and burning went away and I was an extremely happy girl. The day I stopped using it, the symptoms came back. I left it another week and tired the anti-biotic gel again and once I stopped using it, back came the symptoms. These anti-biotics are the only ones you cannot drink alcohol on as it makes you very sick and they are not recommended for prolonged use. I guess its back to the doctors then. I have been in tears today with the frustration of it all. What the hell is causing it? We all have so many different remedies that help us for a while but not in the long term. Maybe the stress it causes me doesn't help the situation. Im just using E45 at the moment but it doesn't stop the itching :o(
ps jp813 - Thank you for thinking of me.....hope you're feeling better as I do all of you.
Keep the messages coming, Im sure we can find a solution somewhere!!!
x
Libby Edwards, Southeast Vulvar Clinic, 4335 Colwick Road, Suite D, Charlotte, NC 2821, or email: ***@****
.KEYWORDS: candidiasis, eczema, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, posterior fourchette fissures, streptococcus B vaginitis, vulvar fissures.
Abstract
ABSTRACT:

Vulvar fissures occur in two main patterns: at the posterior fourchette, and within skin folds and creases. The cause of posterior fourchette splitting is not known, and the treatment is a perineoplasty. Skin-fold fissures occur in response to several inflammatory dermatoses or infections, and therapy consists of elimination of any underlying infection and the (sometimes prolonged) use of a topical corticosteroid ointment.
***@****
docotr at Vuvar clinic in NC
if you want to email the doctor at the vulvar clinic in NC add the AOL and the dot com to her name
ledwardsmd
Just want to check in with everyone as to how my Tx program is going...my history briefly, first had the cuts/swelling/redness/painful sex for 16 months starting August 2005.  Spontaneously went into a "remission" from January '07 - July '07.  After it came back, I went to a gyn who started me on Triamcin .1% and Hydrol 2.5%, both of which are corticosteroids.  I feel great!  I continue to put Hydrol on 2X per day, as these is only a treatment not a cure of whatever mysterious problem I have.
I have just completed reading the posts, and I am shocked that there are so many people suffering with this. My doctor flat out told me that one you start with the recurrent BV, there is nothing that can be done. I have been tested for both yeast and BV, I usually come up positive for BV. I have used Clindesse, Diflucan, Metronidazole, over the counter yeast treatment, Flagyl, and others. My symtoms include: yellow or white watery discharge(moderate to heavy), itching, burning, tears, swelling, and very painful, burning during sex. My symptoms clear up during my period, and then come back within a few days after my period stops. I am currently on probiotics, and have been trying to cut out sugar. I do not drink soda often, or eat a lot of sweets. Its weird, because even when I test positive for BV, I never have that "fishy" smell that is supposed to be the distinct indicator of BV. Anyone else?
Hi Ladies, I have been reading your forum over and over again for two days. I wrote a new post yesterday but wasn't logged in so it was lost. But I read every post again last night for several hours and took notes to compare symptoms and suggestions from each of you. I too have had these cuts and painful sex recently. I am 44 years young and these first appeared in my life when I was about 34 and had a year long merry-go-round with yeast infections and herpes outbreaks. This forum has helped me remember how I dealt with this in the past and acknowledge that I may need to step-up to the plate and heal myself again.

Here is what I see from all the postings: (I am using caps just so it's easy to see the similarities)
*Hurray for Anouk for asking your ob/gyn student friend to research, she may make a name for herself is she follows through and writes a best-seller on the subject!
*The two links given by lil2blunt and conlapaz seem to really sum it all up when taken together.
i.e. HORMONES, YEAST and AUTO-IMMUNE SYSTEM.
*For the most part about 98% or us said this has something to do with YEAST in your life.
*Many of you question the involvement of Herpes, HPV, or many other diseases which can be linked to a low AUTO-IMMUNE SYSTEM.
*Many of you saw a link between your monthly cycle, birth control, peri-menopause, estrogen, HORMONES and this problem.
*Many of you questioned the use of chemical products, i.e. toilet paper, k-y jelly, summer's eve, soaps, laundry detergent, anti-biotic creams etc. Many people now believe these non-natural products we are so innundated with in modern society can cause harm to our AUTO-IMMUNE SYSTEM and in the case of anti-biotics in animal feeds and medicines can alter our HORMONE balance.
*Sadly one of the most common threads for so many postings is women feeling that thier doc's don't respect them, listen to them, have a clue about thier health or give a ****!

Here's what I can contribute:
After a year of dealing with this at 34, small painful cuts, recurrant yeast infections, the Monostat overuse until my skin was white and raw, recurrant herpes outbreaks, I also had symptoms of FATIGUE, sometimes having to take a nap for several hours each afternoon, and stress worrying about my relationships on one level or another. Fear of spreading all this to a partner and/or ruining my sex life because of pain. And doctors who didn't know what to do.

I sought some answers in different directions:
YEAST/HERPES/AUTOIMMUNE SYSTEM:
What I found was a book called "Healing with Whole Foods" by Paul Pitchford - available on Amazon. He was the first person to make the connection of ALL my symptoms including the Fatigue and what he discusses IS candida-overgrowth which he beautifully relates to the IMMUNE SYSTEM mostly because our bodies are not taking in the nutrients we need from our food anymore when our system is clogged up with too much "Dampness". In his book it states: "Candida Overgrowth: Immune Inhibitor, Candidiasis, the over growth of Candida yeast-like fungi in the body, it appears that candida exists in high levels in people with weak immune systems...the yeast does not always confine itself to the digestive tract, it can spread from the anus into the sexual organs especially in women...is related to other immune deficiancies and other viral related degenerative diseases. Symptoms of high level candida overgrowth may include: chronic tiredness, mental sluggishness, chronic vaginitis or prostatis, anal itching, bloating and other digestive problems, cravings for sweets and yeasted foods, recurrant fungal infections and alergies to many environmental substances."
For real: I read this book cover to cover and did his candida diet for ONE MONTH only. I was cured and these symptoms have only reappeared in me years later when I have not been taking good care of myself. What he teaches is more than what not to eat, it's also what you should eat to counteract this and why you may have it.
HORMONES/WOMEN'S HEALTH:
Twenty years ago my mother turned me onto "Dr. Christiane Northrup's book Women's Bodies, Women's Wisdom" it is an owners manual for a female body and she discusses every disease a woman could have, what the emotional factors are, what western medicine says to cure it, and what natural cures are available so you can be educated and make your own choices.
Most recently, I saw her on OPRAH and bought her newest book: "The Wisdom of Menopause". In this she explains everything you need to know about hormones, how they are made in our bodies, what glands and organs they come from, why they change, when they change and how she recommends we deal with it. There are resources for hormone saliva tests you can order yourself and she is a strong proponent of Natural Bio-Identical Progesterone Cream (which she gives resources for buying over the counter) if you are peri-menopausal or still having your periods at any stage of your life, she says using this two weeks before your period and after ovulation can bring healthy balance to hormones before you are ready for Estrogen replacement. She started the clinic called Women to Women and they still have a website which deals with hormones and offers a test of symptoms you can take on line. You can Google it. I put some of this cream on my cuts the last two days and I swear they are all but gone. However, I still feel like I may have too much yeast and a little itchy so I am going to address them together so it doesn't become another loop-de-loop.
HERPES:
I have had it for twenty years. I recommend a blood test as the only true way to know if you have the anti-bodies present for it. Try Acyclovir instead of Valtrex. It's generic and less costly and in my experience a little milder on the system for some reason. These cuts are not herpes per se: but I do see a connection in the yeast/autoimmune/hormone-period loop. I have definately had one with out the other and vis-versa. If you don't have insurance Planned Parenthood will do the blood test for you if you insist on it and free yeast cultures and free diflucan and give free acyclovir. But didn't get much from them as far as support or advise!
DOCTORS:
A few days ago, fed-up, I googled something like "Homeopathic Doctors in "my county" and a woman's name came up. She is an M.D. an internist and practices homeopathy and so I called up. I got an appointment - yesterday. She is private pay, but spent....are you ready for this... 3 hours listening to all my problems, complaints, emotions, symptoms etc. She then took a pap smear, examined me, asked for my labs from my other doctor i.e. thyroid tests to reevaluate them, she gave me a hormone test saliva kit to submit myself to a lab ($180) and she will recieve the results and consult. What I am saying is: There are wonderful doctors out there, search for them, we deserve to be heard.
MY FINDINGS:
With two or three books you can go out into the world armed, educated and enlightened about so many of these issues, you may feel astounded that people are trying to provide answers, I was!!!
It's all connected, because our bodies, minds and emotions are all connected.
Be well, I hope this helps someone, and I believe we can heal ourselves with the right help!...skf
Ok I am back went to doc (the 4th one) and he said contact dermitits...gave me another cream.... HYDROCORTISONE 1% - Idoquinol 1% been on it for 1 yeak has help sooo much. but I had sex and it burned like hell after! still same old story! I am hoping that after being on this it will make me normal! Mu husband said the colr looks normal (before we had sex) but after sex its RED and burns like hell! I will let everyone know how it works in a week. If this isnt the cure I am for sure going to break down almost a year and I am so over this!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I can say that this is the 2nd doc to tell me it is contact dermititis! I sware if I could talke all the money I spent on test and labs and docs and my time and pain I would be so happy!!!!!
Please check out this link about contact dermititis - it's even meant for kids so for me that shows that it isn't specific to the vagina.
http://www.kidsgrowth.com/resources/articledetail.cfm?id=1836
If this post won't show the link go to kidsgrowth(dotcom) and search contact dermititis.
It does say hydrocoritsone can be applied to it, but consider this.............
From my own experience and research and doctor visits this is several different things at once and we are wishing it was all one thing easily taken care of by one cream and gone in a week forever!

If you are seriously ready to try something different, try this:
Please at least look at the two books I quoted above, in the bookstore, library or online and if you are at all curious give them a shot, what can it hurt? These are long-term best-selling authors and in the case of "Healing with Whole Foods" Amazon shows this book being quoted in other books over 100 times. And even Oprah believes in Chritiane Northrup M.D. so it's mainstream, not radical thinking.

For the possible yeast overgrowth internal:
Take Jarrow Probiotics 2x day, it should regulate this in two weeks, be patient.
Cut out dairy, bread, pasta, beer, fruit, chocolate, nuts, sugar (at minimum) for two weeks.  
Try eating broiled chix (not KFC) and fish, stirfry veggies, lots of garlic (anti-fungal),rice crackers, hummus, avocados (good fat), raw veggies, celery/lettuce (natural yeast relievers) lemon in water,
asparagus, and if you must drink coffee - one a day - try it with honey and soy milk. You can eat bananas.

For immune system repair, hormone balance and life maintenance:
Copy list of vitamin supplements from "Wisdom of Menopause" regardless of your age and get to a good vitamin store and learn about them and take them. (Lower doses are fine.)
At the very least take a high potency B Complex daily (for stress, fatique and to process hormones) and Omega 3 fish oils and Vitamin C, A, E, D (as anti-oxidants and immune builders.)

For yeast/red inside vagina:
Open one of the probiotics and dilute in a little warm water, put some inside with your finger or syringe. (same principle as using yogart, but more to the point and less messy.) 1x day. Don't ****** with it, just get some of the good stuff in there.  
In addition: Hydrogen Perixode 3% can be used as a retention ****** 1x week only. 1/3 HP diluted in 2/3 pure water, retain for 5 minutes. (But only ****** if you really feel the need to, let the good bacteria start to flourish in there.)

Fungal conditions:
(These can cause the bumps as well as keep the cuts from healing.)
HP can also be used to clean the male genitals before and after sex as well as your own to make sure you are not spreading bacteria back and forth. (obviously, if you have any doubts about his where-abouts, use a condom)
For soothing and strong anti-fungal properities and to coat so it doesn't hurt when you pee. Use Nutiva brand 100% Organic Extra Virgin Coconut Oil. If you can't find it in a store they have a web-site. You can cook with it too, but DO NOT eat it if you have high-cholesterol. Even though it doesn't contain it - it doesn't go well with this condition. Otherwise it tastes great and you can use it as a sex lube, face cream, hair cream, too. (This is not the same thing as coppertone etc.)
Wash your vagina with warm water only for a while, let it rest from all the chemicals. But wash your hands with anti-bacterial soap and change your towels often right now. "Planet" detergent is made from coconut for your wash and good for the earth.

I have been doing these things since I went to my new doctor for 4 days and am feeling much better and cuts are really healing this time. Redness is almost gone, itching has decreased to almost none. BE PATIENT. I have been taking the vitamins for one week now and my energy level is so much brighter than I have felt in months, maybe years. WHAT HAVE YOU GOT TO LOOSE?

I want to say I was wrong about the Progesterone Cream I mentioned in my last post. I said I put it on the cuts and they were getting better. I was being overly enthusiastic about it and even though my new doctor said to hold off on trying it for a while, I thought I knew better. It didn't really do anything but made me feel a little soothed and a little aroused! Which isn't all bad, but wasn't the "instant cure" I was hoping for. She did prescribe all the other things in this post. Except the HP which I read in "Healing with Whole Foods" and made pretty good sense to me.

I will let you know how it's going. Thanks for listening.

i lost my whole huge post sorry -- RELIEF AT LAST
LIDOCAINEointment 5%
it is the same stuff they use for stiches. it burns for the first 10 sec than glorious nothing - it is messy but u can go pee no injury and mine were so bad it created a staph infection. instant relief! My doctor is a genius!
RUN to your doc and get some its great! i can sit down and sleep and drink water it is soooo wonderful i want to scream it from the rooftops!
i still dont know what causes it but i now have relief!!!! hope this helps and good luck ladies! :)
I too get these fissures, but only above my clitoris. I also have overall itching of my vulva, mainly the outer part where the hair is, and anus, which gets bad sometimes and the scratching increases the skin irritation. I assumed these were recurrent yeast infections (it tends to get worse before my period) but yeast infection meds never seemed to help or if they did it wasn't for long. I had tried over-the-counter steroid creams, triple antibiotic ointment, diaper rash ointment, etc. and never gotten much relief.

Here's the kicker... at one time I also had a wound in the fold where my earlobe attaches to my head. It itched and scaled and wouldn't heal for months at a time until I used a prescription antifungal/steroid cream (again, I had previously tried a combination of over-the-counter hydrocortisone cream and athlete's foot cream, and this didn't work... only the prescription stuff) at which point it healed completely and hasn't come back. I also have had at various times a scaly, dry patch on my eyelid that felt "split" and burned on contact with soap/water and wouldn't seem to go away no matter how much moisturizer I put on it. That one eventually went away on its own.

I saw a new nurse practitioner last time I went for an annual exam and was complaining of the ongoing itching that I described above, which I thought at the time was a chronic yeast infection. She took a look and asked me "have you ever gotten a scaly patch somewhere that won't heal, maybe behind your ear?" I almost fell off the table! It never occurred to me the two things could be related and I never really did know what the ear thing had been, only that the prescription ointment cured it. She said that especially considering I had had it behind my ear, she thought my vulvar itching was seborrheic dermatitis.

So anyway, she prescribed me triamcinolone acetonide 0.5% to be applied twice a day for a while, then twice a week. When I was on the ointment it was the first time in months and maybe years that I hadn't had the generalized vulvar itching (no fissures either, although those are not as bad a problem for me as for some of you so that could have been random) OR anal itching when I used toilet paper. I felt "back to normal" for the first time in forever. She also said I could use Aquaphor in between applications of the triamcinolone if needed. Now that I have run out of the ointment, the itching is returning so I need to go back and see what to do now. My understanding is that the strength of the prescription steroid creams like the triamcinolone is what makes them work where something like Cortaid might not. Unfortunately I think they can thin your skin over time, and I think seborrheic dermatitis is a chronic condition. I may also try something like a dandruff shampoo to cleanse that area if I can find something gentle enough, and see if that helps.

If you use condoms I would think you would want to avoid sex on days that you are using the triamcinolone if it's the same stuff I had. It's pretty much all petrolatum and that's not good for condoms.

I'm sure this is not the problem for everyone here but I thought it might be something else to ask your doctor about.
I think it is great to argue a somewhat minor skin irration on a majno board like this, I am in ur shoes and was wayyyyy nervous. i am allergic to aluminum, nickel and somethign else as well as shelfish. This has actually podtponed my wedding-- not the fissures , but the reactions. call me old fashion.  see a dr about nickel/aluminunm alllergy --- probabally not the issue-- but it will bring uo other issues like 14k issues---(i was told as a kid its ok---its not) even 24k isnt---surprise--surprise--no one believes it , till it happens to them --oh welll. simply whispers makes jewelry for the allergic as well as a few others. be weary of new molds as well. and much like my past post LIDOCAINE  if it hurts to pee or sit or do.........anything my dfr is a genuis. if u r in the  MA region ask for DR, Klock at Norwell Famil Medicine. (i have gone there since very small office (on washington)------- they r pretty damn good!!)   But yes....  my experience was terrible-- LIDOCAINE IS GREAT!!!! be good hope every1  is well! :'}
I am soooooooo scare. I feel a bit better after having been on here, but I am just terrified I have herpes. I had unprotected sex with a good friend about a month ago, but not for long. Anyway, about a week ago I noticed tiny paper cut like things but they went away in less than a day. I had a couple more since then, all heal very quickly. I went to my gyno and she said she really does not think it is hepres, but is doing a test anyway. I just want my results cuz this is taking over my life. The cuts are so small and I prolly would not have even noticed them if I were not so paranoid about my last encounter. Has there been anyone with just these little cuts that actually tested positive for herpes?
I know some people are saying its yeast. I never had a yeast infection before, but I did just come off antibiotics and am on the pill. I really don't itch that much, but there is some. Oh my gosh I am so sick of feeling like this. I wish beyond everything that I could take that stupid night back. I was so drunk and I honestly feel completely taken advantage of. I never in a million years would have done what I did if I were sober.
Has anyone had a partner with jock itch. My ex-husband has a severe case of jock itch that he couldn't get rid of, after being married for about three years I started having very painful intercourse and now vaginal fissures. I am also experiencing abdominal discomfort but no discharge, Just wanted to ask about the jock itch.
Amazing to find I'm not alone!

My history:
yeast infections - after stress and anti-biotic use
diagnosed with herpes but rarely get blisters, (I am wondering if I actually have herpes after reading these postings)
sensitivity to condoms - results in redness, irritation, swelling
have had imbalances with Strep B in the last year
negetive for STD's including HPV
Generally have sensitive skin.
Lots of stress lately
I have peri-oral and peri-orbital dermatitis (basically sensitive skin)
I had chicken pox when I was little
Use tampax
Took birth control for about 12 years ( haven't for about five years now)
No pets currently.

(HISTORICALLY)
Mysterious itching, swelling, redness and sensitivity happened sometime ago....
I remember getting fissures in the folds of my labia occasionally ever since I was young (very mild compared to now)
I also, did have the spliting behind my ears when very young - it was painful and took a long time to heal.
(IN THE LAST YEAR)
I get splitting at the corners of my mouth.....
but it is the little cuts on the perinium and around my anus and up my, excuse me, crack
with intense itching around my *** that are making me crazy!!
I have found a weird bump under my skin that appeared a few times and disappeared
My clitoris swells up and is very senstive for days sometimes, I have flaking skin very occasionally around here only

These symptoms that have appeared in the last year happen as a result of sex and sometimes just appear or happen from wiping too roughly after using the restroom or random odd movement.

I am in a monogamous realtionship.
My guy is also has very senstive skin and system in general.
I suspect that we may be passing some - imbalance/bacteria/fungus back and forth....
He gets odd redness and burning sometimes (he test had HPV in the past... clear for all stds)

MY HYPOTHOSIS
PH imbalance ?
fungus/ yeast ?
concerned about Lichen sclerosis ?

WHAT WORKS FOR ME (eases symptoms and helps healing - not long term cures)
Nelson's Acne gel (You think I'm crazy - but read the ingredients - tea tree and homeopathics including arnica and calendula. Pure tea tree is too strong!)
Neosporin with Pain Relief
Yeast Plus Rescue by Well In Hand

I feel better drinking more water and since quitting smoking but I'm suffering way too much.
My sex life is nothing like it used to be.

NEXT PLAN OF ACTION (based on reading this forum)
see gynocologist - retest all
actually use the Premarin I was subscribed
Starting taking B vitamins
drink more water
Research vitamins with total skin support
Reduce sugar

QUESTIONS???
Does anyone else have a partner with symptoms of any sort?
Does anyone really feel like estrogen cream has helped them?

I would consider asking your dr. about the seborrheic dermatitis. The symptoms you list sound very familiar to me and similar to those I had, and at least that is a minor condition that you can get some temporary relief from (although it sort of sucks because since you have experience with dermatitis, you know even better than I do that it is hard to "cure," you just try to avoid the stuff that aggravates it and treat the symptoms. My whole family seems to have weird genetic skin issues). Anyway, as I mentioned the triamcinolone acetonide ointment gave me relief from the awful vulvar and anal itching for the first time in many months. I felt totally normal and comfortable while I was on it with no itching or splitting, though the itching is returning a bit now... but nothing like what it used to be. I just wish there were something I could use long-term because the steroid ointment can thin your skin. But it really did work where OTC Neosporin and Cortaid didn't for me.

I will say the Aquaphor is helping too. I put some on this morning and have no itching right now. Both it and the steroid ointment are quite greasy so it's a bit of a pain... and I personally would never have sex with a condom on the days I put them on because they are both mineral oil-based... but to me it's worth it to get relief from the itching, splitting, pain, etc. I'm going to see if Aquaphor 2x a week (the frequency my NP had me taper down to for the steroid stuff) will do the trick and if not, I'll have to ask her for a refill on the steroid ointment.

Maybe your GYN would have ideas about what kind of cleansing products and such might help too. I think harsh detergents aggravate the condition. I have sort of "self-prescribed" DermaDoctor Born to be Mild face wash (same ingredient as dandruff shampoo but the detergents in it are milder--I believe dandruff is also seborrheic dermatitis) for washing my genital area. I don't know if the active ingredient is recommended for this use so this is definitely not a "doctor approved" idea, just something I'm doing on my own. I'm not sure if it's helping yet or not. In any case, it would function to kill any yeast associated with the seborrheic dermatitis but would not help the buildup of skin cells that I think is causing much of my skin irritation (the equivalent of the flaky "crust" that I had behind my ear before that healed). But a mild fragrance-free cleanser is never a bad idea anyway.

For me personally I spent a lot of time treating what I thought were yeast infections. I have done tons of courses of Monistat and the itching would either never go away or would come back very quickly. So in my case, if yeast is present, I'm not sure it's that big a factor.

Here is a crazy idea... has anyone here who is familiar with the Oil Cleansing Method ever tried it on this area? If oil dissolves oil then I can see it being very beneficial to seborrheic dermatitis sufferers. And it is the really greasy stuff like Aquaphor that seems to make a dent in my itching. I plan to try this next with either a commercial cleansing oil, or make my own and find out what soapmaking ingredients to add to it to make it more water-soluble. I wouldn't go with straight oil like a lot of folks do for their face, again because you can never get it totally rinsed and I wouldn't want the residue to damage a condom. So I do need a cleansing oil that will rinse cleanly if I end up trying this. I'll report back once I have.

So... I guess I answered exactly none of your actual questions... so I'm sorry about that (my husband doesn't have any symptoms and I've never tried estrogen cream). But your symptoms sound so much like mine that I just had to speak up.
That is interesting about the metal allergy. That is probably a nightmare for folks with piercings. My good friend has a nickel allergy and if she so much as tries on a bracelet with a nickel alloy in it, a red welt comes up on her skin wherever the bracelet touched her. But it does get her out of jewelry parties, at least until they get smart and start carrying nickel-free stuff. ;-)
you're all so nice and helpful!! I found a "cut" (just one, small, not even a cm long) yesterday morning and I've never had one before.  I haven't had sex in two years (personal choice haha) and I have no pain, swelling, itching, redness...the only reason I noticed it was because when I wipped, I definitely felt like I irritated something.  I don't know if it has anything to do with it, but I do have PCOS (someone has said they had it too, maybe related because of the hormone imbalances?), Kidney Stones, and I have been on a diet for several months now AND find myself drinking more diet pop than I ever have before (anyone find that this was related to the cuts?), working out a lot more, and stressed out because of school.  Never had a yeast infection so I have nothing to compare it to.  I probably sound silly because a lot of you are just running into so many problems (espcially with doctors!) and in my case, I'm probably just being paranoid because I freak out about EVERYTHING! Oh, and negative on the STDs.  Any thoughts? Am I being paranoid?
Surprise! I have the same issues with the reddness on the vulva along with papercuts.  I was biopsied today.  I have been at this for four months and hopefully i will get answers.  My dr tested my skin to see if the i have Lichen Planus, and also mentioned that it is caused by Hepatitis C. Now, that really scares me and I haven't been tested for that in a year?  Nor have I changed partners.  I am nervous.  Anyhow, does anyone know about this?  Seems like we all have the same problems and there isn't a clear answer.  This is sad and I am beginning to lose hope.
I tried posting yesterday, wrote a big one with all my information and it didn't post, gonna try a little one see if it posts and then write my information.
Ok, it worked!  I am 35, married to a very patient, understanding 38 year old man.  We are proud parents of 3 wonderful children ages 14, 9 and 5.  People ask why they are spead out so far, I say it is because I wanted to prolong the empty nest as long as possible, I think the real reason is because we don't have sex often enough for them to be any closer in age.  When I was 20 I started having uncomfortable sex.  It would hurt after, then it went to a burning after where I would go to the bathroom and sit with a wet cold washcloth on my bottom and silently cry.  I started going to Drs trying to find an answer and was given cream after cream with none of them helping.  I went to one dr that just prescribed a bunch of meds and wouldn't even look at the problem (I don't know how you can prescribe meds from looking at me fully clothed across the room).  When I went to fill the prescription the pharmacist was shocked and said, that is going to kill anything you have in your system.  It didn't work, so I went to a different Dr. told him what the last prescribed, said it didn't work and he wouldn't even look at me, sent me to my gyno again.  He said that I had a tear in my cervix from my first child birth and it had turned some of my cervix inside out like rolling up the cuff on your shirt and so the cells that should be on the inside were on the outside and causing a runny cervix that ran a mucuss that irritated my bottom much like a runny nose irritates your skin under your nose during a cold.  He gave me a cream, that didn't work.  I went back and he preformed cryrotherapy (for those that don't know, the dr. freezes your cervix for 10 minutes much like freezing off a wart, he said, and it sloughs off the bad cells, crampy, uncomfortable and a watery, runny discharge for a month where you can not use a tampon, just a pad) after all that, it did not work.  About a year later I went back and said, I am tired of this.  It has been 13 years where it feels like I have a yeast infection every day of my life.  I can't go for walks because it rubs and hurts, I can not ride my horse and so he sits in a pasture unused, I can not have sex with my husband and we are at the age where we actually want to.  I have had a tubal, we have 3 kids and arn't wanting to add a fourth, I do not need this runny cervix that you say is causing all these problems, take it out.  He refused, I cried, told him it was ruining my life and because I also had a slight prolapsed uterus, he finally agreed, but did say, I don't want to do this because it is going to be very painful for you and if it doesn't work I don't want you coming back and saying it didn't work and I had preformed it.  I had an abdominal hysterectomy, it hurt like hell, but if it was going to work, it was worth it.  I did not complain a bit after, I thanked him.  Well surprise surprise, it did not work.  I still have these tears and the thing is, they are getting worse.  They were only a few times a month before and now they are a daily thing.  They are spreading to more area where there was just one re occuring one by my clit, now they are from the top of my clit right to and around my anus.  I went to another Dr. and was given another cream and told it was a hormonal problem and to put this cream on times a day and use it every day.  I hate spreadying cream on, it feels gross, but OK, I'll do it.  Well it burned like hell.  I was in so much pain I had to walk around with a skirt and no underwear and my legs apart, I gave it a good try, but it didn't get better, felt worse.  So it has been 15 years since it started, 2 years since my hysterectomy and countless dollars spent on cream and meds and it is just getting worse.  My sex life is non existent and the one time a month that I do go to bed with my husband (I sleep on the couch and only go to bed on the nights where I feel good enough to have sex, no sense in having to turn him down 29 days out of the month, I feel sorry for him, he doesn't even ask any more, just if I go to bed, he knows it is because we are going to have sex.).  It is gotten to the point thought that even when we do have sex, he usually doesn't climax because he is worried that he is hurting me, or it is going to hurt later, so after 2 or 3 minutes, he just stops.  I find that it isn't as bad if I keep shaved and if he shaves his privates and rinses with water really well before we have sex.  He can't touch me down there because it stings just having his fingers on my privates.  If I start to think about sex, and start to get wet, it stings and I quit thinking about it.  I also find that as soon as we start to have sex and there is any discomfort, I get dry, quick.  It is like a switch from my brain to my wetness button.  It hurts, turn off the good feelings and dry up.  The one Dr said that it was hormonal though.  So I am wondering if I was on the pill, would it regulate my hormones a bit, would that help, is anyone experiencing this on the pill?  I do also have sensitive skin all over my body and prone to ezcema.  Could it just be an alergic reaction?  My sister in law said that she is allergic to her husbands body hair now.  She has skin sensitivity to losts of stuff.  But I didn't ask in what way she is allergic to his body hair.  I am gonna have to ask her.  I am so glad that I found this.  I thought I was the only one.
I have had this problem since July of this year and never thought it was this common!!!
I get the paper-cuts (fissures) in a natural skin fold next to my clit. It occurrs once a month it seems... and heals within 2 or 3 days, sometimes faster. I've noticed that I get it in the middle of my cycle. I went to the dr last month and was tested for yeast infection, bacterial infection, herpes, and they even did a culture. Negative to all.
Now today I had a "flare up" as I have begun to call it.. and I now have 2 paper cuts on either side of my clit, both in natural skin folds. It is maddening!!!!!
It seems to begin with some redness in the vulva area, and a slight itchy sensation when I am in the shower.. thats how I know the paper cut(s) are about to show up.
I have read that this type of thing could be hormonal, or even due to vaginal PH being off, as well as other fungi that cause itching and other things.
I DID have elevated white blood cells (WBC) when the dr looks at the slide last month as I waited in the exam room. That is usually a sign of infection.. So she prescribed antibiotics. But the paper cuts returned later that month!
They need to find out what this is. In this day and age, women should not have to suffer and Drs should not be clueless. Apparently, there is a cause for this. There is a cause for everything! They just are not looking in the right places or doing the right tests.. I am sure that insurance is the reason for that.
My Dr recommended a biopsy when my tests that she ran were negative. I absolutely refuse to have that done until she rules out everything! My hormones have not been looked at yet, and there are other cultures and slides that can look for other infections/yeasts/bacteria.
I will keep you all updated.. And thank you to you all for sharing this embarrassing and frustrating issue!!! I don't want to deal with this forever!! Something must be triggering this problem for us- we haven't had it forever!! What has changed?? I even looked at detergents and tiolet paper, but it isn't an allergy to those. Here are my stats:

age-37
Lesbian (no birth control! LOL)
Have not been sexually active since before this began happening
STD negative
Update- I saw a different dr. at the same practice as the one who wanted to biopsy right away) today who agreed that a biopsy was not needed yet. WHEW! I want to rule out other things! She prescribed Clobetasol cream that I will apply twice a day and stop when this heals. I hope this takes care of it- she said they give this medication to people who have Lichen Sclerosis so it is known to be very effective. The Dr. said that since I was tested negative for yeast, bacteria, herpes, etc.. that this is most likely a SKIN condition. The Clobetasol is prescribed alot by Drs for recurring vulvar skin issues because it is strong and only needs to be used for a short period of time.
If it doesnt respond, i will go back and we will then biopsy. I will keep you updated...
I am back! I just found out that I am pregnant,so I had to stop taking the hydrocor 1% and iodqi.....and it came back full force! I am so over this! I was told that it would be real hard of rme to get pregnant without fertility pills (i already have a 3 year old) because I have PCOS, but i changedmhy diet and my pcos is gone and i got preganant! so my idea on this is that like SKF123 had said change my diet! I have celiac desease so i have to eliminate most things all ready! I started to use a paste with acidolphisis. I am pregnant so I so not have much of a choice for things to use anyone have any idea or has anyone made any advance on what we have? Because my doc said I HAVE NO IDEA!
I guuess you can say I am at my breaking point I am so swollen and red and in pain and noone knows anything! The onlyhthing that worked I think might have masked it. I am so over this it is consuming my life! I am pregnant and I want to be happy but i am in so much pain and getting depressed~! Why CANT THEY JUST FIX IT!
For the past 4 days now (so very new) I have been taking oil of oregano and a vitamin B stress comlex pill, omega 3 and cod liver oil, plus I rinse well with plain water after my bath (we haven't finished our new bathroom yet, and the house we bought only has a tub, I hate having to sit in the soapy water and have it irritate the problem further), then I use my hair dryer on the cool setting to dry all the the creases rather than try and dry them with a towel and rub off any new skin trying to grow and heal.  I am also trying to drink a lot of water with lemon in it (as I heard that lemon in water helps your body absorbe the water better, not sure, but tastes better anyway :).  I am actually feeling not too bad.  Good enough actually to initiate sex with my husband.  I was still a little tender after, but I wasn't sitting in the bathroom with a cold, wet washcloth on my bottom crying.  I also went to a home business trade show today and met a very interesting lady that sells a product line that is supposed to have healthy aging benefits that include : Body Composition and weight loss;  Energy;  Vitamins and Minerals;  Pain Relief;  Digestion;  Circulation and Vascular Health;  Hormone Balance;  Skin/Hair Health;  Aphrodisiacs; and Memory.  I guess it is a company headed by a fabulous Dr. White.  I was telling the lady about my problem and she said she had never heard of it, I told her about this site and how there were so many of us out there and she was shocked.  She took down my name and problem and said she is going to pass it on to Dr. White and that she is confident that if Dr. White has not had any experience with this issue, she would do everything she could to find a cure.  I might just be grasping at hope.  I was always so shy to talk about this issue before, you don't want to go around talking about your private parts or your sex life or in our case our lack of one.  But I have come to the conclusion after reading this site that if we don't spread the word and get it out there, we are just going to remain the suffering in silence.  I did not know there were others out there and a lot of the ones I read on here thought they were the only one as well.  It is  ridiculous in todays day and age where women are still going through something like this with no one knowing anything about it.  
k65
I happened upon this forum one day and wouldn't you know, a few days afterwards I found splits in the folds by the labia of my own  body.  This forum has been helpful as I know what not to use.  I tried Neosporin ointment, vaginal creams and it all made things worse.  So one day I used a mecurochrome (sp) and it healed up.  I did use it for a couple of days actually, the first time.  But it did go away.  It came back after a few more days and it's not a cure all.  But it helps.  I also have red and itching on the skin inside near the hair line.  I had a cut in the area going down into the vagina and it made sex impossible.  I had a feeling it was due to constipation.  I have a couple of hemmeroids (originally came from birth of my first child and show up once in a while).  I finally got rid of the constipation and that issue is over with.  But the other cuts are still there.  

I am almost 65, on a very small amount of estrogen and I am in great health.  What ever any of you have ever listed that you do or take in your daily lives is not what I do or have.  I originally thought maybe it was from horseback riding, but hadn't been on a horse for a month when this showed up again.

Hopefully when I get back to my hometown (away for the winter) I will get to my gyno and see if she can come up with something.
Just like everyone else, I'm so glad to have finally found this page.  I had been searching online and finding nothing until this.  Too bad none of us have found a way to get rid of it yet.
In response to xox77's question, my boyfriend also has sensitive skin and was having some pain and dry skin at the same time that I first noticed that I had a tear.  I thought that maybe we were sharing something but his symptoms have since disappeared entrirely and mine haven't.  It seemed to be going away but now I have a new cut in a different place.  I suspect that I had tears before because I'd been experiencing pain during and after intercourse (and sometimes a little bleeding) for some time, but I didn't notice the cuts until I looked with a mirror.  We've been together for 3 years and neither of us have been with anyone else.  We haven't been able to have sex much since I noticed the problem about a month ago so I think I will go to the doctor if the pain doesn't magically go away soon.  I'm kind of still hoping that it will, even though I know that's not likely.  When I do go though I'll let everyone know if I find out anything useful.
Ok, I've got to be the only male in here, but as a former pre-med with a wife who's experienced many of the things each of you has, I think this forum is invaluable.

My wife has complained of this little cuts, too, and we've had a persistent yeast infection issue since about 1985.  

I also did research at Baylor Medical School and the James H. Quillen College of Medicine in both infertility and infectious diseases so I never took these things lightly.

All I can suggest is to keep communicating.  Maybe there's another way to do this that'll help better (like filling in a questionaire and looking for correlations).

I'll keep reading to see if I find a common thread.  Of course, I didn't get into medical school though I've nearly as much coursework as many MD's.  Oh, well, an MBA later and now I sell real estate (not from a lack of a love of medicine ... well, that's another story).
I hate to sound like a broken record, but I feel so sad for all of you, esp. Monica72, so I just need to repeat--at least ASK your doc or gyn about seborrheic dermatitis/other skin conditions and the possibility of getting triamcinolone acetonide or a similar stronger steroid cream (JBee, the stuff your doc prescribed sounds very similar to what I was given so I hope it works as well as it did for me! Good luck!). I found that Cortaid did not work but this stuff did. I am like you guys and I tried a billion other remedies (thinking it was yeast, bacteria, allergy to condoms, etc. etc.) and NOTHING even made a dent until my NP hit on the seborrheic dermatitis diagnosis.

In the meantime, or if you can't get a prescription, consider getting some Aquaphor and trying that (I apply a couple times a week, all over my vulva and around my anus now that I have finished the prescription cream). Both this and the scrip are greasy and, yes, a pain, but it sure beats the kind of agony you guys are talking about.

In general I also think it is important not to have sex when you don't want to and when it doesn't feel good to you (it will be hard for the cuts to heal if you are constantly re-irritating them), and to dump some of these insensitive docs who refuse to investigate what's wrong with you. I have had much better luck with female nurse practitioners but I know that's a crapshoot too. I agree with many here, it is a travesty that such a "simple" problem is still unsolved and causing so much pain for many women.
I went to my Dr. today (for something un related).  We got a huge snow fall on Monday and I spent 3 hours shovelling snow in the driveway (I live on an acreage, long driveway!).  That night I noticed that right along my hysterectomy incision scar was a huge soft bump.  I wasn't sure what it was, it hurt like heck.  Turns out it might be a knot from one of the disolving stitches that I had from my hysterectomy almost 2 years ago, that didn't disolve and my body might be rejecting it.  Not sure for sure, just going to wait it out.  So I asked him about this problem and he thinks that it is hormonal and that being I had a hysterectomy (even though I still have my ovaries) that I might be lacking in estrogen and gave me a sample pack of Vagifem.  For those that don't know, it is an estrogen tablet that you insert vaginally, rather than use a cream.  He said it should build up the walls of my vagina and help with the dryness.  I tried telling him that I have had this problem with painful intercourse (although not the tears until after the hysterectomy) for about 15 years.  He said try it for 2 weeks and then come back in.  I also had a problem with hyperthyroidism this spring (I think it was just painful acute thyroiditis, he figured it was hoshymotoes , not sure how to spell that).  So he sent me for bloodwork to check my thyroid and do urine sample.  He was questioning it being clamydia, but I highly doubt it being I have been in a monogomos relationship with my husband for years and years and I trust him fully to not cheat.  So I am going to stop all the vitamins and just do the Vagifem for the next 2 weeks.  I have been phoning and asking everyone I know about if they ever experience anything like this.  My cousin had an episode 10 years ago when she first got pregnant.  She even began questioning if she was allergic to her husbands semen.  She ended up finding a fabulous Dr. and it turned out she had a bad strain of yeast infection.  He gave her cream and it cleared up, but she got it back.  She ended up changing her body soap to an olive oil soap from a health store.  She said it works wonders.  She can't soak in a tub though without getting a yeast infection and getting the tears.  She went to buy soap one day and they were out, so she bought a bee soap that was supposed to be non allergic, she got a yeast infection in 2 days.  She is sending me some of the soap she uses, so I am going to try that.  Hopefully something works.
Ok I have recently noticed the same thing as most of you. I too had a cyst like thing in my labia majora a while back. It has disappeared now tho. I get the cuts in around my vagina and it sucks! I thought that I was just wiping too hard or something lol. I have an important question...
ARE ANY OF YOU SENSITIVE TO PADS?????
I had an allergic reaction to always brand pads like a year ago. It caused some chaffing (spelling?) and caused me to be raw and finally my skin dried and peeled. I went to the Dr and she said that I was sensitive down there and not to use always pads bc this was common for this brand. Well , i have been using another brand w/ no problems for about a year...until this period I just had! I wore pads for ONLY one day and I had that same prob again.
Anywho, I was just wondering if we all had sensitive skin.
I'm planning on going to the Dr soon. I just don't know if I need to have one of these sores in order for her to diagnose me w/ something. I don't get them very often, but I am still VERY concerned. Also, I have never been diagnosed w/ a yeast infection but that doesn't mean I haven't had one. Do you have to have a cottage cheese discharge w/ a yeast infection? ..bc I don't..or a smell.
I hope we figure out what is goin on girls! I'm soooo very happy I found this site. Get back to me about the pads!!!!!!
it  is not herpes!
Hi everyone,
A quick update...
I applied the Clobetasol cream on 11/14 for a total of twice a day for 3 days. The irritation and "paper cuts" healed and I am so relieved to be back to normal!! I am on day 11 of my cycle-so far so good! My Dr. prescribed a 45 gram tube of medication, so if need be, I have plenty to use! But I hope I won't need it!!
I will update here again soon.
Good luck everyone!
I am a 34 year old with all the same problems of all of you. Amazingly I couldn't find anything about this except this forum. Not enough answers on here unfortunately.

Here are my stats
I have taken the depo provera shot for 15 years. I don't have a period at all and haven't for as long as I can remember. Was never regular even before that and didnt ovulate and had to take clomid to get pregnant with my son who is15. Started taking the shot when it was brand new. Haven't really had any problems with it.

No cats here, 2 dogs.

Have used all kinds of over the counter creams. I find the diaper rash creams work wonders because they coat the area so well. No burn when you go to the bathroom if you are coated enough.

I have IBS that is not under control even with medication. Eating gives me chronic stomach cramps and bathroom trips which are horrible with all of the splits in my poor skin.

I am calling my OBGYN tomorrow and am going armed with all of this information.I will update all after I get an appointment.

I have a horrible "cut" since it is worse than my normal splits that I get in my hood area above my clitoris. This one happened after wonderful sex my hubby and I had last night. My sex drive is non existent and that's the weirdest thing. I was always more interested than most I know. I think the cuts have something to do with it. They are very painful but I am one to try not to complain. My hubby is great about checking them and putting medicine on for me. It's easier if someone else can slather it down good. I have long nails and it's hard for me, I hate the creams under my nails. LOL

This one that developed last night is so bad that my hubby was shocked also. Everytime I got to the bathroom it's a wipe with blood on it so I know it's bad. This one is on the vaginal opening and feels like after I had my son when I tore and had stitches down there.

I have considered the weather change, my corners of my mouth split often. I have been neosporing them to death to no relief. Going to try the Carmex next.

Hate to keep rambling but I have a lot of thoughts going through my head.
I am anxious to have my hormones checked. I am on an antidepressant and suffer from mood swings as well. I have good/bad days. I have taken Elavil for my IBS but it was horrible. I can't imagine trying to take it for this.

I hope anyone that discovers anything concrete about this will continue to post, it's important. Doctors don't want/care to spend enough time to diagnose anything anymore. It's up to us to bring to their attention what we think we have. What a wonderful healthcare system we have huh?
Oh, on a funny note. I shave and really don't like any hair in my vaginal area but my doctor told me my splits in my hood area were from shaving and I should let the hair grow because there is a reason for the hair being there. All I could think of was that his wife must have a huge 70's bush. LOLOLOLOL
Shaving does make it better, the hair is a huge irritant to an open wound.
Good luck with all and I'll be back to report what I find.
Tamie
I never had a problem with tearing until my husband started shaving his entire genital area.  I found that I would become very irritated and get tears during the times that he didn't shave.  The stubles were not felt during sex but after, it was burning and painful.  The only thing that helped was desatin cream.  I don't get the tears or pain if he has shaven himself smooth, but he doesn't do that all the time.  Maybe some of you are experiencing this too, if your lover is shaving but not doing it on a regular basis.  Hope this helps.
I also find that shaving helps.  If I go 3 days without shaving, I find that the cuts get worse.  Although I am having great luck so far with with the Vagifem estrogen tablets.  Like I said in my first post, we went down to having sex once a month on average.  I am just new to the Vagifem, never knew I might have an estrogen problem as I still have my ovaries and I am 35.  I started taking it on Thursday and it is Sunday today, but this past weekend we had sex 3 times so far and I am feeling great.  After the first romantic encounter I didn't hurt, I went to the bathroom to pee and stoppd my flow after like 3 drops, because it always stings and I always tense up and try to get through the burning.  But it didn't sting!  I started peeing again, and it didn't hurt, I was like Yahoo!  I wiped, nothing.  Ended up initiating sex the next morning and still I felt good!  We even did different positions and it didn't hurt.  Usually it has to be a position where there isn't too much friction, but this time, no pain.  I also had a huge sex drive and have gone down to none at all.  I found I was also so dry during sex.  Didn't matter how turned on I was, or how wet I started out, I would just get dry, not this past weekend.  I do also have very sensitive skin.  Hope you find some help.
I hate to say this, but I have been fighting this battle for four years!!! It started after I had my son, I was 29. dry, no sex drive, cuts. Three years and two boispeys, sterriod creams, I was so red and irritated that the docs could not even see the cuts. I changed docs., she gave me some creams to clear it up, and that was when she saw the hair-line cuts. She tested my hormones levels, it came back low estergen. I have been using a compound  estergen rub on my tummy and a compound estriol vag. cream in side and on the outside. every thing is good if i use it everyday, but if i forget just on day, the cuts are back. I have been doing this for almost a year. I have come a long way, but now my work is changing insurance companies. What this means for me is that the only doc. that has even come close to helping me is no longer in the network and the creams that I have been using are not covered. I went to see a new doc. today, she said that I am on to much hormones and wants me to quit them and go back to using the premarin vag. cream that I used over three years ago (It did not work then, it made it burn more). and wants to test me for herpes. I feel like I am stating all over again. Any HELP!!!
I feel so sorry for you.  It was only a week ago today that I found a Dr. that seems to know what he is talking about.  He too said that he figures my estergen is low (I am 35).  I had a torn cervix that cause a lot of problems for years, ended up having a hysterectomy and I figured it didn't work because I still had problems.  Turns out my ovaries might have just stopped working after the hysterectomy, or at least not working hard enough.  He put me on a vaginal tablet (it is really tiny, like the size of birth control pills).  It is called Vagifem.  It is new here (I am from Canada), so I am not sure how long it has been in the States as we tend to get things later on.  When you go on it, it is one tablet a day for 2 weeks and then 2 tablets a week from then on.  He just gave me a sample pack and told me to take 2 a week for 2 weeks and then come and see him.  I have to go back on Thursday, but except for a little hardly noticable itching every now and again, I feel great!  I have not felt this good in forever.  I, like you, was dry, no sex drive at all, if you read my first post, I was sleeping on the couch.  This past week has been fabulous and besides my husband and I being too tired for sex during the week, and having 3 kids, we still managed to have sex 4 times this past weekend.  That is the equivalent of 4 months of sex before as more than once a month was unthinkable due to the pain.  I just wish that some Dr.s would listen to what we are telling them, it isn't always a case of what is written in the book.  I do hope you find something that works for you.
Oh, one more thing.  The creams that I had been given in the past always ended up making it burn more than before I had put them on.  I told my Dr. this the other day and he said that was because they were not the right combination for me.  I didn't question what he meant, I was just happy it wasn't me that was crazy as the other Dr. told me to keep using them.  So I feel that if it is burning, maybe it is too strong, or the wrong ph, something must be wrong with it.  
I just read your first post. I felt that it was me writing it. What would we do with out our understanding husbands!!! I have all of my girl parts, I was on the pill for 10 years, I got off the pill because my husband is stile. That is when the dryness started, but it was very mild, I used k-y inserts every couple of days if needed. Than I got pregnant with the help from doner sperm. Everything was fine when I was prego. I had vag. birth  no tears or cuts.
I breast feed for two months then went back to work. I started to have a lot of burning  and stinging down there and in my butt. I thought I had hemorrhoids from giving birth. But it just would not go away. So after a year, I went to the OB and got back on the pill thinking that maybe that would help, It did for my pms, but not for the cuts. They do seem to be worse around my periods so I got on Jolessa, were I only have a period every three months and that is where my first post starts.

I do not like using the any of the creams ether, I am with you , they make me feel  gross,  but the Estriol vag. cream is the only thing that has worked for me, the problem is, I have to use it every night. I have been reading about this estradil ring that you put up inside that gives you a dose everyday and the ring last for 3 months. As for the estergen cream that I use on my tummy, there is the estradiol patch,  best of all, my new insurance will cover them. Now I just need to find a new doc. that will listen to me!!!  Thats the hard part... I know what is causing them. Even on the pill my  estergen level was low. But getting the right hormone level takes a lot of time and trial.  
I posted on 11/14 about this issue..
The update as of today 11/30 is that I have not had a recurrence of the fissures (paper-cuts) since using the Clobetasol ointment for 3 days. HOWEVER- during penetration with an "average sized" toy earlier this week, my perineum (the skin at the entrance of my vagina in the bottom) tore slightly and bled a little. It is still healing. I am dumbfounded because this happened a couple of months ago and I thought it was a fluke.
I am 37 years old and have NEVER had this problem before! I read online and it says you can do massage down there with a pure essential oil (no perfume) like almond or olive oil to try to get the skin used to stretching. Pregnant women are told to do this.
So when this heals, I'll try it. I can't help but wonder if this problem is somehow related to the paper cuts I've been getting since July.
???? SO frustrating!
Good luck, everyone.. please keep posting.
Just wondering if you have a hormonal problem or not?  My Dr that is giving me the Vagifem (estrogen) tablets said that it will help to thicken and strengthen the skin down there.  I am not really sure if you would need to get your skin used to stretching to accomodate an average sized toy unless it was your first time perhaps.  I am thinking that it is most likely related to the paper cuts that you have been having.  I also had a tear in the same spot (perineum) a few days before starting the Vagifem (and it was not because of sex as we didn't have any sex for almost a month before)  and have not had it since and have been enjoying  a decent sex life for the past 10 days (since starting on the Vagifem)  I would love to have sex more than we are, but with 3 kids and work, it is hard to fit it in due to lack of energy or someone crawling into bed with us or our 14 year old still awake.  Besides using the Vagifem I have been bathing every day and after I get out of the tub (still no shower in my house) I am using my hair dryer on the cool setting to dry my skin folds on my labia and have switched to 100% white cotton panties.  Hope you find answers.
Hi Everybody,

I have to agree with a previous post and recommend that everyone ask their doctors about SEBORRHEA. It's a form of dermatitis that causes THESE SYMPTOMS. Especially if you've ever had the peeling skin behind the ears or on the eyelids... they're linked...

Also, Seborrhea untreated can create a fertile ground for a YEAST INFECTION. (hence the yeast symptoms). I recommend treating the yeast symptoms aggressively at the same time as treating the seborrhea which is as simple as a special dandroff shampoo (on your head only).

Look into it and take control of your treatment... It is important!!!

Best of Luck!
I am only 19 and i am having these problems...please respond :)

i have pain at the beginning of sex... like at penetration.... which sucks bc I HAVE NEVER been like this before....UNTIL... i started taking birth control... i was on the Nuvaring and and then i got off it bc of the symptoms i was having...and i got on Ortho Trycyclin...and i was still having pain and STILL having cuts.... it is as if ALL my skin down there just does not stretch.. if it stretches too far it tears....  so it causes pain when i use the bathroom... and i bleed sometimes from the cuts near my anus...

ok most frustrating thing...
i went  to the gyno this morning to talk to her about it and she would not listen to all the details of what i was feeling. it was as if she had her mind set that it was herpes and that was that. i had read this forum before i went to her today and i wanted to explain to her what i had read but she would not really hear me out.... she is having me tested for STDs and Herpes... i came home and cried my eyes out. I really hated that she would not listen to everything i had been feeling. She INSISTED that it had NOTHING to do with my BIRTH CONTROL....umm ok then why did i ONLY start having these symptoms when i got on BC??????? she still didnt listen and said they werent related.... i feel so sad and upset because i was never like this. ... until i got on BC and now i feel like i have completely messed up my system down there...

can someone please hear me out??? and let me know if my BC did have something to do with this. i just want to be normal again.... :(

I posted this on the other forum, but haven't gotten any responses. So I guess I'll post it on here. I apologize for the lengthiness... but I am going crazy. Literally going crazy. I spend day and night researching this, reading the same **** over and over again. I am on the verge of having a mental breakdown. I guess my biggest fear (oddly enough) is that I have herpes. I am going to get the blood test on Thursday... but I am terrified, regardless of the fact that most of these symptoms have not been herpes-related.

This is my other post from the other forum:
Jesus Christ this is ridiculous.

Let me begin by saying I've spent the past four nights reading and re-reading this and  every other forum post about this subject I could find. I am (surprise!) a hypochondriac. Though, out of every type of illness there is, I've lost the most sleep over thinking I've got an STD. Right now, I'm experiencing the symptoms you all have described - a small cut/fissure or two that appear right below where my pubic hair stops. Of course, being as neurotic as I am, I'm always stretching my labia back to examine everything down there. Constantly. I've gotten these fissures twice now. I mean, it could very well just be dry skin, eczema, irritation from me constantly yanking back my skin to see if any new symptoms have occurred or any pre-existing ones have subsided, but I've convinced myself that I have herpes. Oh, and about three weeks ago I came down with a terrible flu (or what I THOUGHT had been a flu). I had a high fever, muscle aches, sore throat for around a week. Negative for strep ("Does that mean I have AIDS?" -me "..........." -my doctor). About four days ago, I got a "papercut." That's why I think (..know) it's herpes. Even though it could very well have just been a normal flu because I do get sick a lot in the winter. And...because the day before I got sick, I was up all night drinking at a concert in a very very small overcrowded room full, FULL of sweaty people bumping into me and proceeded to sleep on a friend's presumably flu bug-infested trashy Cincinnati living room apartment floor. So, a question. Has anyone else experienced flu-like symptoms with these cuts?

This is driving me crazy. I sit here going from medical forum to medical forum reading the same thing over and over again and it just opens the door to more and more possibilities of more diseases, lichen sclerosis, even CROHNS DISEASE. But really. The one I've decided on is herpes.

SO. Tonight I signed up to an internet dating site just to see what my options will be once I (decidedly) test positive for herpes. This was discouraging, to say the least. However, most internet dating sites are just that.

So uh. Despite the fact that this is not the least bit cohesive and I don't even know WHY I'm posting this (seeing as I'm already certain that I do in fact have herpes!) but honestly just writing this and knowing that someone might read it (and maybe even get a good laugh out of it!) makes me feel a bit more at ease.

I honestly wouldn't be surprised if the symptoms were psychosomatic. But I mean, even if that were confirmed by a doctor....by a THOUSAND doctors.....I'd still think I had herpes. Even if the herpes blood tests came out negative a thousand times over I'd pass the results off as faulty or just resort to thinking that I had some new strain of the virus and lord knows my vagina might be in a textbook ten years from now.

THIS IS EPIC!

ALSO! Out of all of this, I've even come up with a simple plotline for a short film or story! Hypochondriac convinces herself she has herpes, without medical confirmation. Signs up to an STD dating site. Finds someone she likes. Becomes very close to him/her, only to find out that she in fact never had herpes in the first place. She's now in as much of a rut as she was in the first place. (Sounds like it could be a poorly done jdrama to me.)

Ah, anyway. I've also let all of my close friends know about my condition. In detail. I'm sure that they have all had enough of my vaginal issues, but when it's the only thing on my mind, it tends to come up in conversation.

This is ridiculous. I'm done.

At any rate, I wish all of you luck. I have a doctor's appointment on Thursday (not that it'll change anything). I think I'm going to go write a hate letter to hypochondriasis. I apologize for being long-winded.

Mm, also. On a more rational note (I feel a bit embarassed after rereading what I just wrote), IF by some act of a god that has yet to materialize my cuts are not herpes, I'd guess that they're stress-related or due to some sort of hormonal imbalance. The two times these have occurred, I've been under a LOT of stress. Also, I looked up "vulva eczema" on google (I'm surprised this picture hasn't been posted yet) and found these pictures:

http://www.ak101.com/dermnet/dn2/allJPGThumb/eczema_vulva_6.jpg
http://www.ak101.com/dermnet/dn2/allJPG/eczema_vulva_5.jpg

This is exACTLY what my cuts look like when they first appear. Sometimes they're a bit redder, but the sort of white on the edges is always there. I've had skin issues before - contact dermatitis, etc. Could this be a cause as well?

HEEELP ME.
I just got back from the dr today. With cuts (similar to the links you recently posted) I was told they were probably Herpes followed by an exam thus informing me that I have a yeast infection I was not aware of. I also was told that I should have a pelvic ultra sound which they discovered a 4cm ovarian cyst. I am noticing the cuts obviously after sex (my boyfriend is rather well endowed) but we have been together for 4 yrs and these cuts are now only occuring for the last few months. Burns like fire when I pee and I find myself leaning so far forward so the urine doesn't touch the cuts that I am afraid where the urine is landing. My boyfriend and I are in a long distance relationship and see each other every 2 to 3 weeks. So I figured maybe the sex was just more "acrobatic" than usual but now I am not certain. I have been working out a lot recently and just from that received the cuts. I also know that if I spend too much time in the Jacuzzi or pool that the vaginal area gets dry and is very susceptible to getting cuts (this is all when I am not with my boyfriend so it cannot just be from sex) I am at my wits end and although I receive comfort knowing that I am not alone in this horrible experience. I am also majorly disheartend to discover that no one here nor any doctors seem to have a clue what is causing this nor how to treat it. I will drive myself crazy no doubt reading these forums. Good luck ladies and please if you do find a treatment post post post like crazy!!! I know I will. Wasn't sex supposed to be a natural part of life? I don't remember signing up for the pain train...
Heads up ladies and think positive...
Did the herpes test come up negative? I honestly think that the more we all worry about this the worse it gets...but that can't be helped. It's ironic how stress causes so many physical ailments...especially when physical ailments are the very things you're worried about. Goodluck.
I have been reading all of your posts and I have to tell you that I had the same problem about 5 years ago.  I do occasionally have the problem now, but the "outbreaks" are few and far between.  I will post this message first to ensure that my message will go through and then I will post my story along with my "cure" in hopes that all of you will benefit from it.
Okay, here it is.  
I had just gotten out of a nine year relationship and was beginning a new relationship with the most patient and understanding man on earth (who is now my husband) when I began having awful burning during intercourse and during urination afterward.  Going through this during my honeymoon was the last straw and I went to an OB/GYN who tested me for everything under the sun.  The only thing he could come up with was possibly yeast infections.  I also had the tiny tears.  When meds for yeast infections only made the problem worse, he determined that it would be a good idea to do a biopsy.  From that he learned nothing but that at some point I had been exposed to HPV.  I don't have it now and am somewhat skeptical that I ever did have it.  But it any event, there was really nothing more that he could do.  He sent me to a specialist in Gynecology/Oncology who diagnosed me with something called Vulvadynnia or Vulvadinnia (and you should all look this up!!!).  The FIRST thing of importance that I learned from her was that I should not use soap of any kind to wash the genital area.  She said water would be sufficient and that your body provides the proper cleansing system for that area.  SECOND, she had me take a citrus calcium supplement that would decrease the size of the ammonium crystals in my urine and thus burn less.  THIRD, she suggested that when I urinate I hold the skin out of the way to minimize the contact.  FOURTH, drink lots of water.  FIFTH, she had me try all kinds of creams...estrace, some cream for herpes (can't remember the name, but it started with an a), yeast creams...and nothing worked and all made my skin even more irritated since I have extremely sensitive skin.  Monistat burns so badly, it feels like my skin is just melting right off as though I had just pured acid on it.  Anyway, I was unhappy with all of these products.  SO, and this is the absolute most important step for me...she prescribed Diflucan for yeast infections.  Now, I was not sure that I was even having yeast infections all the time, but we knew that I had them sometimes, SO once the skin had been doing well for a while (from following all of the above steps) I would take a diflucan if the skin started to feel at all like it might be coming back.  By doing this, I have been able to keep the situation under control for the last five years.  I only took the citrus calcium supplement for a short time.  Now I have to take a diflucan maybe 5 times a year.  
I hope this helps all of you!!!
I have the same symptoms as everyone else here! I used to get these tears once in a while, usually after sex w/ my then boyfriend.  my gyno said to have him be more careful and put a liquid bandage on the cut.  he never said anything about herpes. he was very attentive and had many young (17-25yrs old) patients, so i think he would tell me if  he thought i had the diseas. the first one in three months showed up three days ago and i went to my new gyno.  he immediatly did a culture for herpes, for which i have to wait two weeks for theresults.  i have gotten these before and they all went away within a day or two.  i was didagnosed with chlamydia about two years ago and since then, have been sensitive to yeast infections, which suck! Does anyone else think this could be herpes? I am quite nervous and the wait has just started. Someone please let me know what they think.
By the way, does anyone know if frequent urination has anything to do with this condition? My gyno said that my urine test came back negative, but i still have to go a lot.  help!
i am still waiting on my results from my herpes test. i am not as worried about it as i was before bc now my cuts seem to be healing up. i stopped shaving and was careful with body wash and other stuff like that getting in that area. I guess now i'm not so worried that its herpes....BUT...i am worried that even though my recent cuts are healing....they might come back and i really dont want that. also the white discharge and paste-y stuff seems to be gone too. lets see if the doctor can figure out what caused these cuts so they dont come back bc having them and worrying about them has really been one of  the worst situations of my life.

i hope everyone the best.
i got my results back and i tested positive for chlamydia....but its weird that i would have it. i dont know if the cuts have anything to do with it. also.... my herpes test was neither positive or negative. weird huh??? i am so confused!!!! i have to go back and get tested in 4 months.... i hate this. has this happened to anyone else? i really hope its not herpes....
When this happened to me, I had every test possible including herpes and it was NOT herpes.  Please see my post above.  The gyn/onc specialist diagnosed it as vulvodynia.  That is the proper spelling.  PLEASE go to www.nva.org.  NVA is the National Vulvodynia Association.  Everyone who has posted here should visit the site.  I had all of these symptoms...burning, tearing, etc.  People who have this have to find what works for them through trial and error.  But I explain above what worked for me.  If you are prone to yeast infections, as I am, try the diflucan pill when you think you might be getting a yeast infection.  This has solved my problem almost entirely.  I can handle the few minor outbreaks I have each year.  When this first started, it was constant and I thought I was never going to be happy again!
First I was so happy that I wasn't the only one.  But reading two years worth of anguish from women in the same situation as me has gotten me so depressed.

(To be clear - my symptoms are constant fissures on the perineum.)

I've been to several gynos, the last 3 from the same clinic, and each of them have a different opinion.  
+ First one said herpes, for sure, refused to actually test for anything and implied that I deserved it.  (Clearly a kook, I decided to get a non-crazy opinion!)
+ Second one did a pap and tested for everything - Still no herpes, but I did have Chlamydia. I was pleased that it was something relatively simple - but treating it did nothing to relieve my symptoms.
+ Third one said Bacterial Vaginosis (BV) and we did more tests. Hey, still nothing!
+ Fourth said it was purely hormonal. She thinks that hormones are causing extra discharge, the discharge is keeping the skin moist and softening it, making it more prone to tearing.

At this stage, I like Fourth doctor's moxy. This does seem to occur more frequently the week before my period, and started happening to me right when I started using the Implanon birth control rod. So I'm inclined to think even if hormones aren't the issue, they're most likely contributing.

I plan to have my birth control implant out after christmas, see if that helps.
yea i stopped being on my birth control and my symptoms are gone. i haven't had any sex yet or anything to see if my skin will stretch naturally without tearing. i really hate having to wait another four months to find out if i have herpes but a lot of you have been negative so that makes me feel better. we'll see what happens....
ok i take that back. two little cuts this morning. i dont know why they came back :( this is the worst experience of my life.
Further to my previous post - The doc prescribed me a dose of Fasigyn (Tinidazole) 4 X 500mg tablets  (And then said to take a tablet for thrush a few days after, and boy did I need that.).

Worked like a charm, and I'm still good two weeks later.  I've been dealing with this for two years with no relief and now a handful of pills fixes it.  I'm relieved and frustrated at the same time.  No clue as to whether it'll come back, but at least I'm prepared if it does.

Sincerely hope this helps.  Even though there's an actual organisation out there for "we don't know what's wrong with your vagina so tough break, lady" (please see www.nva.org - hah!) there is hope, and it's not the end of the world.  Chin up, ladies.
im sooo good now! they told me it was a really bad yeast infection. they gave me ampicillin, fluconazole, and metronidazole. and this other cream and so far SO GREAT! its a lot of pills but they work!
Hi Everyone!  

Yes, I too suffer from the cuts. It has been about three years now since they have made their debut..... usually a small singular cut. Like clock work it arrives a few days before my period. This seems to be common with all of you, right?  My GYN has told me time and time again that it is yeast. With that I began a strict regiment of acidophillus and unsweetened cranberry juice. The problem has gotten better but still happens. In the beginning I was insanely paranoid that it was herpes but have been tested twice, both tests were negative. My GYN thinks that I am a hypochondriac carrying on like a raving lunatic in the vain of Adrian Monk. Has anyone consulted a naturopath? By the way, I am sorry to hear that all of you are experiencing the same condition but relieved that I am not the only one. Thanks to you all for being so open and honest.  
Stats would probably be helpful....

1. Have hypothyroidism and am medicated for it.
2. Obviously by my screen name I practice yoga daily and run 3 or 4 times a week.
3. Always being a paradox, I still smoke cigarettes which is the last of my vices.
4. Was told by the GYN not to use any soaps down there, just water.
5. Eat healthy and drink lots of water.
6.  Have 3 dogs and 2 cats.
7. Have not had sex for three months. Prior to that it was close to two years.
8. Live in New England.
9. Am fair skinned and have very sensitive skin.