Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures
For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
I also am having this problem! I thought I had cut myself shaving or was having a herpes outbreak (unfortunately, I do have mild herpes...yuck) but this is completely different than my rare herpes outbreak. So, for those of you afraid of having herpes, this is probably not it. My herpes outbreaks looks like real blisters and don't bleed, these are def. like paper cuts...so I'm thinking it's my toilet paper that is the problem. (???)

I initially had two small lacerations and now have about 10-12 that are slightly bleeding, all on my perineum. This started about 2 weeks ago when we switched toilet paper brands. Went from a softer brand to a tougher brand that's supposed to be more septic safe. As of today I am back on the soft stuff.

Just curious if anyone else has linked this to toilet tissue brand? The only other thing I can come up with is that I am perimenopausal and maybe my skin down there is getting thinner?

I'm just glad to see I'm not the only one with this problem. I'm hopeful it's just the TP...
Nope...It's definitly not the TP...and no signs of being perimenopausal. I did a biopsy and hopefully I will find out on August 1st what this is and be able to tell all of yall.
I've also had the same problem, about a year ago I got a nasty yeast infection, and i was misdiagnose with herpes with out even been tested. This stupid doctor told me that she thought that I might have herpes, she gave me a list of clinics where I could go and get tested. I called every single one of them and they all answered the same thing " we can
As an FYI: Your doctor is incorrect. being able to insert the spatula/tampon is BY NO MEANS an accurate method of diangosing herpes. is she on crack????? It is possible to only experience herpes lesions on the external genitalia.
I have suffered from anal fissures for about 10 years.  I am 30 now.  Cream sometimes works but stool softeners work best and give the fissure time to heal.  I had to go into hospital for an operation on the fissure and was in and out in a day.  No problems for years after that.

I try to eat plenty of fibre and drinks lots of water - my downfall is that I don't get enough exercise but I am not overweight
I cannot tell you how relieved I am tonight to have found this website! I'm 22 years old, and I have been having the exact same problem for a few years now! I had used the clobetasol initially. The intense itching around my anus and the papercut-type tears on my labia minora came back later and I asked my gynecologist for another prescription of the clobetasol...he wouldn't give it to me because he said that prolonged use causes thickening of the skin. He then prescribed Hydrocortisone 2% and told me that I most likely just had some contact dermatitis and told me to avoid detergents and soaps. The cream heals the cuts temporarily but causes a lot of soreness...the itching and fissures around my anus reappear within days. I haven't had the tears on my labia minora in the last few months...I used to get them right before my period. I have been on birth control (ortho tricyclen lo) for the past 4 months, and I think that is what has caused the changed. The tiny fissures around my anus and the itching inside of my rectum and around the anus are still occuring everyday and are absolutely AWFUL!! I haven't gone to my doctor about this for months because he'll just keep trying to convince me that its due to chemical irritants...I know better! Anyone had any luck yet figuring something out?
Oh my gosh I have this too!  And my doctor is at a loss and dosent know what to do.  I can tell you this I dont have cats and live a crazy life so I dont think its any of that.  So cat lovers your safe.  Keep the litter box clean and hug your kittys.
Well that's a relief...Has your doctor done a biopsy on any of you? If so you would know. They stick you with a needle on your labia or where ever they see irritation and she had this instrument that was called a "hole punch" and punched a hole the size of an eraser in my labia and put the sample in a jar. She is sending to the lab and I will find out the results on August 1st. My doc said she doesn't want to prescribe me anything until she knows what exactly she's dealing with...Let me know if any of you have had a biopsy done PLEASE!!
everyone: i have the same problem. i am 24 years old. i have no cats, no history of herpes, no history of yeast infections and i use the soft, expensive kind of t.p.  i do have sex and i do wear thongs.  PLEASE let everyone know as soon as you find a solution. thank you.
I'm sorry each of you are feeling this pain too. I am sure you can relate to that feeling when sex is getting really good and then suddenly you gasp with pain because just by moving your legs a particular way he has stretched and split the skin again!! I would like to get to the cause here. I've had reoccuring bladder and yeast infections and now this strange paper cut problem. I use Canestan (might be english brand) which might be a cause. My perinium seems to be short, meaning my vagina and anus are quite close together. I don't want to be on creams for ten years because my fiance doesn't like cream in his mouth! Would very much enjoy getting to the bottom of this and believe we should keep talking to figure it out. HAS EVERYONE EXPERIENCED YEAST INFECTIONS? IS THIS A TRIGGER?
lots of love and happy healing.
i am so freaked out. i have the same problem but like someone said above i also have the pea like lump on my labia. my gyno is hellbent on thinking it is herpes as well! i have to wait for a phone call from the clinic if my culture is positive. if i dont hear from them then i have to call by monday. i really dont want to hear its herpes. my partner didnt tell me he had it and i never saw anything on his penis(which i know doesnt mean he cant have it). it could have been spred by a cold sore but i dont recall him having anything like that either. i do have the tears as well as the bump, so i dont know what is going on with me. i want to know but i dont know what i will do if its herpes.
Wow, You'd never imagine this would be such a common problem. My paper-cut like tears are on the "lips" and are itchy and annoying. I'm 34 weeks pregnant and I'm hoping I can heal them before I go into labor for fear that my lips will rip into shreds during delivery. I suspect it could be irritation due to the intimate deoderant spray I've started using or maybe because I was recently on medication to cure poison ivy. I even thought for awhile that it was poison ivy. That would suck, huh?
  I'm trying a little of everything to help with the itch. No such luck yet. Did anyone else have swelling before the tears. I did. It started with an itch which I rubbed until it got swollen and when the swelling subsided I was left with these tears.
It definately has something to do with yeast infections...    At first i got freaked out thinking it was herpes. A few docs examined me and all told me that it didn't look like herpes and told me that usually herpes wasn't itchy. I got a pap that came back negative as well as blood tests. For the past 3 months i had a yeast infection and didn't know it. I had one in april and used Canestin to get rid of it. I thought it was gone (because i no longer had ANY symptoms) and it turned out that it was still there the whole time... I got the tear during sex and now it just opens up all the time. My doc says that it should go away a few weeks after my infection is cured. So all of you should really check to see if it's a YI... I hope this helps a little...
Hi there-I felt the same sense of relief reading everyone else's story.  And I think it is a great idea for us to try to find out what links us together.
I will just add my history to the list and hope it helps.
I have had recurrent yeast infections all of my life-since early childhood.  I am 24 years old and in 2002 I noticed bumps on the formerly smooth skin, just inside my vulva, toward the vaginal walls.  I went to the 8 different doctors about the issue.  5 of the 8 doctors thought I may have genital warts so they treated the warts (with a topical application of acid).  But each time the bumps would come back and be more irritated and raw.  
The last few doctors I saw decided it wasn't warts and can't finda  casuse for the bumps-but my major concerned changed.  I was no longer able to have intercourse because it was excruciating-this happened in 2003.  recently in 2005 my doctor noticed the fissures.  I can develop fissures with or without intercourse.  My Dr. also noticed that I have nodules of nerves-exposed and extremely sensitive-which may be causing some of the pain.

My doctor thought I may need to switch to a low-oxolate diet and gave me a steroidal cream to heal the immediate fissures.  The cream helped but I found the diet very confusing.  I find the best defense is avoiding sex.
I don' t know if you all are as frustrated as I am-but why don't they know more about what makes vagina's tick?

My history:
recurrent yeast infections
moderately sexually active
desk job-grad school
have one dog and cat
no STDs
itching, bumps and fissures for 3 years

I hope we can solve this mystery!

I honestly don't understand why your doctors' gave you some sort of acid to put on your vagina without even testing to see if it was really warts. Sometimes I really don't know what doctors are thinking. It doesn't have anything to do with yeast infections or bacterial vaginosis. I know that for sure becuase when I went to the gyn the first time with this problem she tested me on the spot for both. She took a swab and went into the other room and looked under a microscope. It was neither. She told me not to use soap and not to wear underwear to bed and alot of other things that she thought could be the problem. Well it didn't help so when I went back the next time she did the biopsy. Anyway I am married and have had sex sporaticlly so I know it is not from sex. When I get the cuts I do not have sex until they are gone. And right now I am not experiencing them becuase I put the cream I've been using on. It works for two weeks then comes back like clockwork. But that at least gives me two weeks of relief. Like I said before on August 1st is my appointment and the results should be back by then so hopefully we can put this whole fissure problem to rest...but if they don't know then we're screwed!! I have the pea sized nodule right on left side of the opening of my vagina. She said it was a cyst...
I was looking for something else (lichen sclerosis) and came upon you poor people - Just a suggestion, to take ZINC and Vit C, for tissue repair and has anyone thought about whether an imbalance in the pH or the vagina & area could be hindering repair or causing in the first place?  Good luck.
Well, I have to say that I was extremely relieved after reading this forum.  I had never had vaginal tearing or fissures until about a month ago, and I ignored them.  They went away and came back worse about 2 weeks later.  I had been cleaning them with peroxide (OUCH!) and putting bacetracin ointment on them to try to heal them, which slightly worked. I was trying to write it off as the toilet paper, etc!  But then I became more and more worried, and began to research it and that's when I came across this website.  After reading everything I decided to go see my OBGYN.  He of course tested me for Herpes, and even though I had read everything that you have all been through, and knowing that none of your tests had come back positive, I was still nervous.  He also tested me for a yeast infection.  Well, right there on the spot he said I had a horrible yeast infection and wrote me a prescription for 2 Diflucan pills.  I was to take one (they stay in your system for 3 days) and then repeat 3 days later.  He also gave me a prescription for a topical cream.  I took the first pill, and applied the cream.  The itching became 100 times worse.  I kept putting on the cream until the itching became unbearable (2 days), and then I took my second Diflucan pill after three days.   A few days later I got the results of my Herpes test and I am happy to say that it came back negative.  And the best news is that my fissures are completely gone.  I've had no signs of them reappearing.  Back to normal and very happy!!  Just thought I'd share my story to hopefully help someone else out.  Good luck girls!!  

For those of you that were looking for a common link between all of us:  

I am 28
Serious Boyfriend
Sexually Active (not more than 2 times a week)
Desk Job
Work out
Have 1 cat (4 years old)
Live in somewhat humid climate

don't use hydrogen peroxide more than once, to clean out the cut!! it delays healing. use a triple antibiotic ointment (like neosporin). it will kill bacteria and prevent scars. i had a cut that didn't heal and kept re-opening. (the cut was from rough sex--not a pre-existing condition, although I may have had a yeast infection at the time). it led to scarring. sex is painful, in that particular spot, and now i also have general irritation in the areas of friction. i used clobetasol propionate 0.05% for over a month to get rid of the scar tissue. but it thinned the skin, so then i had to use an estrogen cream to rebuild the tissue. this still hasn't solved the problem, and i've been dealing with this for a year. i'm 22. i've been to a few different gynocologists, and they all treated the problem the same way. i just got a new gyn though, and she says that those treatments are good, but there's also something else going on (most likely a yeast infection or some type of bacterial infection--I've already been cleared for all stds) that is causing irritation and preventing healing. she showed me with a mirror all the spots in my vagina that were red and irritated. her plan is to treat the yeast infection first and then to heal the tear. i'm supposed to continue to use the estrogen cream and then use a salve of essential rose oil on top. also if i want to have sex, to prevent irritation, i'm supposed to put some vitamin A and D ointment on the spot, as a barrier, and also use lubrication (astroglide is good, ky is no good because it drys out quickly) i cannot stress the importance of lube enough!! my gyn has had a lot of success with this treatment and hopes that in 6 weeks i should finally be healed. i'll post an update soon.

extra advice: if your gyn is not helping, get a new one!! ask other women and see who comes recommended. it's also nice to find a doctor who is open to incorporating herbal remedies into the treatment. western biomedicine tends to focus strictly on the part of the body that is sick. sometimes they miss the bigger picture. many doctors don't even bother to explain thoroughly what is happening. especially for this type of problem, a holistic approach is essential. good luck all!!
oh, and it comes back also when i am very STRESSED out from work or over working my body (like working late, working out, not sleeping enough)
wow this all sounds so familiar!! :(
no gyno has ever figured this out. i have fissures that feel like paper cuts around my labia that hurt so much if they are touched and come when they want...ANYONE FOUND OUT WHAT THIS IS??
i do unfortunately have genital herps but don't break out.. and the gyno said that is not what it is but the idiots can't figure it out...
as many of you said:
i work out sometimes
wear thongs
have a stressful job
don't take birthcontrol
have boyfriend and casual sex
do have sensitive skin i guess

i noticed i definitely get it when there is rough sex... and becomes a yeast infection.. so i get it before and after a eyast infection and it makes the yeast infection much worse and painful
putting monestat cream and baby powder at the same time calms it down a bit temporarily (or the pain at least an itch)
i also get them sometimes before my period too!!
PLEASE LET ME KNOW IF ANY OF YOU FOUND AN ANSWER.. it is ridiculous that no gyno knows frmo seeing all these people with the same issue
let's hope for an answer or cure