Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures
For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
First, thanks to all who have posted comments/suggestions for the past few years.  I finally got through all of the posts (400!).

Here is my story.  I stopped taking BC in 1997 and haven't been on any since, except for the mini pill after the birth of my daughter in 2000.  I took it for less than a year.  I also had the interuterine (?) ablation done in May 2008, and I haven't had a period since (yay!).  Prior to that, I used to get a lot of yeast infections; several a year, all right after my period.  I think I may have had 1 last year.  I just experienced one, I believe, a few weeks ago after taking antibiotics for a UTI.  That was my first UTI, and boy, I don't want another one!  I had gone to my GP for this, so she called in Diflucan as I hate monistat.  It either did the trick, or that wasn't the problem.  It just so happened that my annual pelvic was due on 3/17, so I mentioned all of this to my gynecologist.  I was still feeling "not normal" and a tad itchy.  Just that morning, I had gotten the paper cut tears in my perineum area.  He said it definitely wasn't yeast, he tested me for low estrogen levels and something else that I can't remember at the moment.  Everything came back normal.
Here is the weird thing that no one else has mentioned.  I seem to get these cuts most often after having pooped.  I have complained for a couple of years that I can never wipe enough to get all the poop removed.  I now theorize that all the wiping is causing the tears.  This especially seemed true on the day of my gyno appt.  I had to go twice before my appt., and both times I had to wipe many times.  Presto - the tears appear.  About 15 months ago, I saw a G/I doctor about the pooping problem and how it tears up my whole bottom area.  His solution was to do a colonoscopy.  Everything was normal.  Even in my drugged state, I asked "so what's my problem".  Uh, well, I guess it's IBS.  I'm not sure I believe that.  And I certainly am not going to follow that diet!  You can't eat anything that's healthy or good for you, it seems :)  I tried the medicine once or twice, and it didn't seem to do anything.  
After seeing my gyno, he recommended seeing a Colon/Rectal doctor, so I'm supposed to go tomorrow.  I was going to cancel since he thought I had anal fissures.  After reading up on those, I'm sure that I don't.  However, I'd like to know what to do about the problem of having to wipe 10 times to (sometimes) feel clean.  Gyno dr. wanted them to do a biopsy, but we'll see.
I don't think I mentioned that I've been having these tears in the perineum for a few years now.  I could tolerate them before because they were so sporadic.  Now they seem to pop up more often than not.  Like others, my sex drive has vanished.  I was very sexual before.  I think we've had sex 3 times in the last month because the thought just sounds so painful.  Even starting out with lube, it doesn't feel good.  Not particularly painful but not pleasureable either.  I have tried pleasuring myself once, which I usually enjoy now and then, but even that was severely lacking.  
I think I really do have low levels of estrogen, even if the recent test says otherwise.  Thankfully, I have a wonderful dr. who is open to suggestions.  I have created a Word doc with all of your invaluable insights.  I am going to send this to him so that he will have it to read over at his leisure (ha!) before I come in for another appt.  I'm crossing my fingers that we can rule out a lot of things but running several tests.  I'm up to just about anything except that biopsy.  Yikes!  I've had enough pain in my lifetime, and I'm not doing anything voluntarily again unless it's absolutely necessary!
I will post back as soon as anything happens.  Thank you ladies for commiserating.  We have to look out for one another.  
Dear Ladies,
I think I may have found a solution for myself and everyone. I have been dealing with all of the same issues and all of the wrong diagnosis for the past 3 years. I won't get into all of my issues because they mirror all of yours.

Last week, I went to see a UROGYNECOLOGIST that I was referred to. He told me he believe that the cause of the itching, burning, tearing/papercuts etc. was from muscle spasms of the LEVATOR muscles of the vaginal area. He said spasms can cause this type of itching.

I thought he was crazy. He told me to call the office when the itching was intense and they would have me evaluated by their PELVIC FLOOR THERAPIST. He also told me to stop using the steroid cream I'd been prescribed by my GYN. He said the cream only served to thin the skin and make the tearing/papercuts worse.

Last night I woke up at 4:00AM with intense itching/burning/throbbing. It had been building for days. I was seen by the Pelvic Floor Therapist at 11:00AM. She hooked me up to a machine that looked kind of like a ultrasound machine. She placed sensors on my lower abdomen, inside my vagina, and just inside the rectum. Within seconds of turning on the machine she said, "You are definitely spasming." She asked me to do Kegle-type exercises and some deep breathing.

The result is this... many women internalize their stress which causes the Levator muscles to spasm. The spasms cause intense itching or burning or both and a discharge sometimes. In addition, the scratching or rubbing of the vaginal area during the times of extreme irritation leads to the tearing/papercuts -- especially if you are using steroid-based creams for relief (as they thin the skin).

She gave me a treatment by inserting a small instrument into the vagina which sent electrical impulses into the muscles. It was not painful at all -- there was just a warm sensation. She also gave me simple vaginal muscle exercises to perform at home. I'm supposed to go back weekly for the electrical impulse therapy until the condition is under control.

She told me she had a patient come to her that had had this condition for 25 years and within a month of this therapy was pain/itch free. She did say that this is a condition I will probably have all my life but proper management will prevent the flaring.

Lastly, the Urogynecologist suggested that if I needed and extra boost until the therapy and exercises begin working, he could prescribe Xanex to use on an as needed basis. I didn't take the Xanex because I want to give this therapy a chance to work.

I have looked up Levator Spasms on Google but can only find information about problems with the rectum.

I hope gives all of you some new direction in finding a solution to this problem.
First thanks for your post, second can you please tell us what are the muscle exercises that you were told to do at home?
The exercises are basically Kegle "flicking" exercises. You have to do the Kegle properly without involving the abdominal muscles. Concentrate on squeezing the muscles of the anus as if you were stopping urine mid-stream. That's the way to isolate the Levator muscles. Then do the excercise as follows:

Take two full deep breaths through the nose and let your whole body relax. Then do a Kegle for 1 second (squeezing as tightly as you can), release and relax for three seconds. Repeat this 10 times.

The pelvic floor therapist says to do this 5 times between breakfast and lunch (not 5 sets at a time: 1 set of 10 "flicks"). The 5 times between lunch and dinner and 5 times between dinner and bedtime. By the end of the day, you will have done the exercise 15 times.

It's hard to remember doing them this often. She suggested wearing 5 bangles on your wrist and taking one off after each exercise as a visual reminder.

I'm going in for the electrical stimulation therapy (again, not painful at all) on Tuesday. She said once things were under control that she would put me on "maintenance" exercises that would not involve so many sets. I'll keep posting as I learn more.
I also have the exact same problem. Tiny, almost non-visible cuts (lik paper cuts) around the entrance to the Vagina and near the perineum. They appeared only a few days ago, for no apparent reason. They are not itchy at all though.....

I have been on and off antibiotics for 3 years with recurring pneumonia. Recently changing drugs to Doxycycline. You will soon see how this is relevant.....

I have had a few friends with the same problem over the last few years, all initially baffled by its sudden onset and lack of information about it. Luckily they did the ground work for me. My best friend has had this same skin issue and did everything humanly possible over the course of a year to source out the cause and fix the problem, it was affecting her sex life and long term relationship with her boyfriend. He was very patient and waited for her to figure it out - She did!!!! Finally!!! after seeing Gyno after Gyno.

OUR ANSWER!!! It is caused from excessive use of antibiotics and/or a particular antibiotic that just doesn't react well with your skin. There are many types of antibiotics... penicillin, diflucan,amoxicillan, erythromicin etc But certain types have certain side effects. The drugs weaken the tissue and cause the skin to rip and tear easily. For women, commonly around the vagina (labia majora).

So, what to do??? and why don't the doctors know about it??? You have to keep the area dry, so it can heal, but sometimes bepanthen or paw paw ointment is good, so you can at least urinate without the sting. Have warm salt baths, avoid soap on  the area and use anti-bacterial wash. Avoid sex.... I know, its hard but you have to. ... for at least 3 weeks sometimes more. In most cases the skin will repair itself. You can assist with bio oil, vitamin E capsules, evening primrose oil or omega 3 fish oil to help skin cells replenish......you can even open the capsule and rub some directly on the skin, when it starts to heal a bit. BUT, in some cases, like my BF's she had to get the skin removed from the area because it just would heal.

GPs see so many variations of different skin problems and STDs that they probably don't think of the side effects of the drugs they so easily prescribe! They are so pro-drugs that they dare not think it has such devastating reactions. Just think of what's going on in our insides, if thats going on on our outsides! Only a few Drs and specialists would be familiar with the actual cause, so, thats why I thought I should help bring awareness.. It's a real problem and I hope my insight helps.

Good luck, keep me posted.
Boy, have I been miserable.  I stopped taking my 8-year long chemical: anti-depressant Lexapro, a S.S.R.I.

I was taking 20 mg a day 2-3 months ago, had an episode of depression, and followed my doc's orders to do do 40 mg a day.

After a lot of really bad sleepiness (not helping! missed work!) about two to three months ago,

I "tapered down" over about 2-3 weeks.  The last week, I was taking 5 mg a day.

Since then, I have been having digestive abnormalities of the worst kind!

First, it was constipation for 2 days, then diarrhea for a day or two, and then the constipation.  So this is what began 1-1/2 months ago.

Over the 1-1/2 to 2 past months, I've experienced anal-tearing and horrible anal itching that feels like "bugs" are in my peri-rectal area.  Horrible!

I've tried many treatments for this:
-Preparation H (topically and "up there")
-diaper cream
-mineral oil with vitamin a and d
-benzocaine
-tucks witch hazel wipes
-showering every time it itches.
Orally:
-codeine
-teamazepam (so I could get to sleep and slow down the itching)
-benadryl
-acyclovir (because I have herpes and I am trying to cover my bases now).

I've seen a P.A. and my doctor.  The first one gave me a pinworm test (negative).  The second one had me just "come back to see him if it didn't get better" (I suggested this is basically Irritable bowel syndrome).

I have started "Eating for IBS" a diet made by a lady online with unresolved symptoms.  So far, it has been the only sort of relief I've gotten, but the diet seems partially under-nourishing and now I have a cold and I think I have a herpes outbreak too. :(

I've missed a LOT of work because of all of these problems.

I have read three helpful documents online.
(1) www.eatingforibs.com
(2) http://www.medhelp.org/posts/Womens-Health/Vaginal-and-anal-tearing-fissures/show/25417
(3) http://www.aafp.org/afp/20060801/449.html

2 is that "anal tearing" can be the result of levator muscle spasms in the pelvic floor, and that I'd have to see a urogynecologist. 3 is that anti depressant withdrawal symptoms can last for weeks, serotonin problems, including downstream neurotransmitters.

So, I have to conclude
--it has something to do with serotonin,
--leading to IBS,
--meaning I have to "eat blandly" until I am healed "in the bowel" and "back there
--the stress has led to me getting a herpes outbreak.
--I have a cold because of the stress and/or the malnourishment of this horrible IBS diet.

That's it.  That's the only help I have for this right now.

Every night, I wake up or can't sleep because of the itching and "now" the pain in my lower right buttocks.  I use Ice until I can fall aslepp or some combination of temazepam, benadryl, codeine. Sometimes I get to sleep, only to wake up 1 hour later due to intense pain/ itching, leading to me praying and crying in the shower at least once a week.  I am so frustrated and tired over this problem.

It just doesn't seem right that my choices are
(1) eating blandly and possibly mal nourshing foods (i've already cut it the caffeeine, milk, dairy, egg yolks , whole grain breads, meats, chocolate...)
(2) taking an addicting psycho- active drug. (lexapro)

I am very concerned I could lose my job over this.  However, I don't want to start taking the anti depressants anymore because I think it's dulling my life and *obviously* it has long term detrimental psychological/ addiciton implications.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.
I too have been suffering from this problem, for about 7months now on anf off the fissures will appear and disappera, right now theyve been here for over a week and a half..
Im at the point now where its driving me insane, im in so much pain its ridiculous, i mean ive tried salvlon anti secptic spray, sudo cream, canesten, the lot and nothing seems to be getting rid of them. it hurts so badly to urinate im at my wits end.
Ive been to my gyn and am awaiting herpes results, although i am almost dead certain its not herpes, He told me it doesnt look like herpes and i told him my tears have increased over the few months rather than decreased (liek herpes)
when i was there, he did tell me i had BV so i took some tablets for that and a thrush tablet, he said they should bring down the symptoms, although the swelling of my vulva has suppressed, the tears havent.
im glad to no im nto alone with something as dreaful as this as i did think i was the only one until i found this thread, but if anyone does have any advice on how to calm the pain of the tears please let me no because i have had enough!!
Hey, I just began to notice a big cut down there as well, so sore and kills when I pee, I don't know what to do about it, I've tryed creams for yeast infection and it just seems to make it worse. It already is scabbing over but it seems to peal off a wee bit and bleed rarley. I'm not sexual active so I don't think it's anything caused by that! It came out of the blue. Some say It could be from using tampons? Maybe just from shaving? Idk I need help, the pain KILLS.
Okay here goes...In Dec. I found this site and read everything.  I took some advice here and there....I was so desperate.
Well after years and years of diahrrea, tearing in vaginal area, mood swings, depression, stressed out, no sleep, on and on....I finally have the ans.  I went into diabetic shock last month.  Once I got on the right meds all my vaginal symptoms went away, except I do use a vaginal hormone because I am menapausal in the worst way.  But I have something to work with now a diagnosis.  I even thought I had the worse case of Rosacia...but even that has completely cleared up.  My eyes were always full of scratchy stuff, my face was inflammed, my vaginal are from back to front was raw, diahrrea, ear aches, allergies, nausea, mood swings, anxiety ridden, sore joints, tired as all get out, miserable!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Get a AC1 test and see if you may have diabetes, I was tested three times over the past 10 years and I never had a consistant reading.  I was diabetic when i was pregnant 22 years ago.  I thought I would just try to give you guys a heads up....Good luck out there girls....its rough.
I have been searching forever to find anyone that has this and poof...here it is.   I am 28 and have had vaginal tearing for 11 years now.   I tear all over the vulvar area, perineum, and inside the vagina opening.   I actually have a 2in laceration scar from a tear down my labia.   Fun.   I tear from anything...sex...toilet paper...near my period...yeast infections...washing..sometimes there is no reason.  You name it and it will cause a tear.   I have had the estrogen cream, steriod cream, estrogen pills, permarian cream, different soaps, different underwear..no underwear, allergy medication, different lubricates.....  and so forth.  NOTHING WORKS!   I use lubrication during sex...doesn't stop the tearing.  I have had a biopsy and it came back and chronic skin irritation.  No kidding.  Blood work for hormone levels a few times and they are fine.   I have seen about 10-15 different docs and no one knows.   I am just relieved to find other people out there that are my age and have this.   I thought I was alone in this.   Has anyone ever tried testosterone cream?   The doc thought this might help.   The only I notice is that when i'm pregnant...the tears aren't as frequent.  I do know that this is not caused by a yeast infection or not enough lubrication or hormone levels being off.   I do not think that other medications are involved either.    I don't know if I will ever know what causes it.  Each year the tearing seems to be worse.    It is horribly frustrating though especially with sex.   Anyways, that is my story...if anyone finds an answer....SHARE!   :)    
your symptoms sound like my daughter and she has lichen sclerosis. it is treated with betamethosone cream and very successful. hope that helps. buy the v book . it will save your life.
I posted back in April about finding my way to a Urogynecologist who then referred me to a Pelvic Floor specialist. I saw the Pelvic Floor specialist twice a month for 3 months for intense vaginal itching, papercut tears/fissured of the vaginal area including the outer and inner labia, clitoris, and vaginal opening. I have been performing the kegel-type exercises she prescribed daily. I now have MAJOR improvement. I have times, depending on my stress level that I begin to itch or tear. I increase the amount of the exercises and the problem greatly improves or goes away. I am currently having my period and for the second month in a row, I've had NO itching or tearing. Generally my problems are much worse just before and during my period. As a result, I am a much happier person and no longer think of my vagina as a pit of dispair. I also have a renewed interest in sex which had pretty much disappeared from my life because of the pain it inflicted. It's wonderful to be a willing partner, rather than just consenting and getting it over with.

I HIGHLY recommend finding a Pelvic Floor Specialist and being evaluated. It has changed my life.
I have researched Lichen Sclerosis.  I do not have any white spots or itching which are two of the symptoms.   I also had a biopsy done and it was not this.  So, although I want an answer...this one isn't it.  Thanks though!
After reading other women's stories, Im relieved that Im not the only one with such an issue, but I feel sad that anyone is expreiencing it
:(.   Thanks for positing  I had an initial really itchy, painful "outbreak" like everyone is describing. Seemed like a y.i. but when I treated that it seemed to get worse. This happened about 2 weeks after I started birth control (nuva) for the first time.    Gyno said the irritation couldn't be caused by the birth control, but I believe a bad y.i. could've been caused by the b.c. and then resulted in the irritation.    Took diflucan, which initially inflamed the discomfort but 5 days after completely cleared up. The gyno suggested Desitin (diaper rash ointment) for irritation and I must say it worked brilliantly.  
Currently I am much better though have one recurring fissure from sex.  Its frustrating.  I've never had a problem like this in my past. I'm 30 now, had a baby 16 months ago, have a VERY stressful life at the moment, and as I mentioned, am on birth control.  It seems like my problem began when I started the b.c. Has anyone else seen a correlation with birth control?
Thank God I found my way to here! I'm having the vaginal pain problem for 1 month, go to several doctors and searching crazy online but to no avail.

I went to my gyn doctor he notice my vaginal has crack and suspected me with herpes. He gave me herpes cream and I applied it. The major cuts healed but i still feel some pain after toilet. When the pain strikes I have to sit still for some time in order to get rid of it. I don't think I have herpes because me and my bf only have sex experience between us.

Few days ago I realized that avoid stretching my vaginal can reduce the pain. So what i did was to hold the pee/poo and let it out very very lightly/gently. Because stretching my vaginal makes me feel the pain again. Anyhow sometimes I still feel a little pain after shower/toilet. I examined myself through mirror but I din't see any cut. Maybe they are tiny/ paper-cut like..

Also I don't clean very thoroughly on my vaginal. I just let some water run through it. If I open it I'm afraid that the cuts will reopen again.

Today I started and tried to apply some lip moisturizing oil. So far I don't feel the pain today. I'm going back to my gyn doctor if I feel the cut within this week.
I think mine could be related to birth control.   I noticed that when I'm off birth control it's not bad.  When I'm pregnant...I really don't have much tearing occur.   After my second baby was born...I didn't go on birth control for a few months after.   When I went back on...I noticed within 2 week, the tearing was back and bad.  I think there is some correlation.
I had sex for the first time in three years last Friday. I didn't know the guy hardly at all. We had sex twice even though by the end of the first I was in moderate pain. During the second time, it felt like someone was ripping me apart. I let him go on but told him to hurry up because it was hurting like crazy. I couldn't sit or walk for the next few days. Monday evening I started to worry that he gave me an STD. I went to the Dr. and they took one look and said that I had severe tearing right underneath the vaginal opening. The Dr. told me I needed to wait for the tears to heal and to abstain from sex. She also told me to use an ointment with an antibiotic in it to help heal the tears. She then told me to use a lubricant the next time I have sex.
I still have slight burning/itching. It feels like it's going to take forever for the tears to heal. It's been 5 days and still no signs of healing.
My best advice to anyone that gets tears during sex: use lubrication!
hmm, strange, i thought i had posted a comment but now i can't see it.  so like everyone else, i am so sorry that so many others have to suffer through this painful and mysterious issue but i was so happy to find people who could share and offer support in this seemingly never ending battle.  

i've had these annoying and painful tears for as long as i can remember and they happen whenever...even just sometimes when i shift myself when sitting or just about any time.  i've just gotten so used to having so many female issues that i can't even remember when they started.  the few points i wanted to share are as follows:

birth control pills - during a 20/20 story i heard recently about women who have inexplicable vaginal pain, the narrator mentioned that birth control pills thin vaginal skin.  does anyone know if there is any truth to that???  i am sitting here right now wondering if i should just stop taking the pill.  i tried to research that fact but found nothing...not even in the online synopsis of the 20/20 episode.  

for SisterShelly and anyone else who has these tears mostly when pooping, i have noticed that most of the time, my tears do seem to coincide with that.  about 15 years ago, i saw my doctor for something that seemed like hemorroids and these tears and he said that they are anal fissues and that these and the tears come from aggressive wiping and pushing too hard when going #2.  i, too, have issues with wanting to be sure that everything is clean (for so many reasons), and at that time, truly understood why bidets were invented.  my doctor suggested only wiping a couple of times (i resolved that by using wipes instead of just tp or at least wetting the tp as much as possible) and also taking fiber so there is less straining.  i also read on webmd that these can be caused by diarrhea/ibs which all make sense.  also he suggested sitzbaths (can't remember how to spell that) but basically warm baths and compresses are supposed to help.    

but sometimes i get these tears near the front so it's painful to pee.  another doctor recommended carrying a spray bottle with water so you can wash or blot away any urine so the stinging will stop.  

i've had almost every female problem ever (well, a lot) and the things i can recommend for general care of our most delicate and sensitive area (and i'm sure many of these are obvious but in case they aren't, i hope this helps.)

- don't use any scented feminine products and be careful what you use down there.  ph balance is oh so important so try not to disrupt the natural environment.  anything can potentially disrupt the ph balance and when the ph balance is off, you are susceptible to so many things
- wear cotton underwear or anything fabric that breathes so that the vaginal/anal area can always be as dry as possible.  any excess moisture tends to lend itself to a lot of issues or any blocking of pores of the skin as well.  i have read that you can use a hairdryer (on cool air) to dry the area after showers,etc. and i read somewhere that you can even iron your underwear to make sure it's really dry.  i tend to stay away from pants in really hot weather.  also be aware of being in a wet bathing suit for extended periods of time
-obviously avoid anything that is going to irritate the area like underwear with fabric that is not super soft, underwear that rides up and rubs the area (like thongs).  
-neosporin helps with healing and mostly protecting the cut from urine or anything else like underwear, etc.  
- also having sex during your period can lead to yeast infections and other irritations

on the subject of herpes, i think i read a post by sue07 but it was a few years ago so hopefully she found out the correct infomation.  i've had so many issues, it's hard to remember all the details but i'm almost 100% that there is a blood test you can take to determine whether you have the herpes virus.  you no longer need to have an outbreak to be tested.  sorry to scare everyone but herpes is incredibly easy to get for a lot of women  and a lot of men are carriers but show no symptoms.  i got it when i was in my mid-20s from the only person i was ever close to marrying so we didn't use condoms.  he had herpes 1, the kind you get orally, except his outbreak was on his chin.  back then, it was possible yet very rare for cases where hsv-1 morphs into the genital variety but i have read that now it's very common.  so people be aware that if someone has the oral kind, that can actually be passed on during oral sex which is very scary.  

well, that's all i can think of right now.  hope some of that helps.  good luck and i hope we have some solutions soon.  i wish the best for all of you - hang in there - i know it's so painful and frustrating!  why is there SO little research on women's issues!  men have no idea how hard it is to be a woman!  i wish all men could just experience one period or one of these painful tears...they wouldn't be able to handle it while we have to deal with things like this all the time!    
I posted this on another subject

Vaginal and rectum paper like cuts
Well I have been having two paper like cuts on corresponding sides at the top of my vaginal lips, also one long one at the side of my rectum, they have been there for about 2 months, I recently moved to another country so I was busy and tried to ignore this...  the cuts seem to get better until I have a shower then they open up again, today I notice in the vaginal folds/outer lips, a creamy white discharge... now I believe after looking at some pics it could very well be a yeast infection...

I was going out of my mind thinking about herpes and thought maybe my husband cheated on me but we are both deeply in love and faithful but needless to say the thought crossed my mind....  I think I should just go to the doctor and finish with this... but for those of you that are interested, here are some pics of yeast and the one with the long cuts looks like mine, my discharge is also located in the lip creases....

some more info, I have a toddler and before I delivered I was checked for Hep B, Herpes 2, vdrl, hiv, and other stuff, I was living aboard and apparently this was routine at the  hospital... everything was negative... so I believe my problem could be explained as yeast, check the photos below , copy and paste in your address bar, for some reason it does not show up as a link...

http://www.dermnet.com/thumbnailIndex.cfm?moduleID=18&moduleGroupID=545&groupIndex=0&numcols=0
I think your problem was having sex. If it hurts, wait 5 days (after using the monistat) to have sex again. I had a yeast infection last week. Although I didnt have the cheesey stuff yet, I used the monistat and didnt ahve sex for 5 days. Its all good now. No matter how much you want it, no sex, and not alot of soap usage down there.
i just found this forum and haven't had the chance to go through even half of it yet because the thread is so long.  

but, to add my experience...it's been about 7 years for me.  my fissures are primarily at the top crease of the labia majora, probably once a month at least, and the skin irritations are around the same area.  

i've been living in italy for the past year where they sell pH specific "intimate detergent."  i've been using 4.5 and it has helped a lot.  also, having a bidet makes it much easier to wash more often, and, as i mentioned, the pH specific soap is a godsend.  i'm going to stock up before coming back to the us.  

i've also found that keeping the hair really short (or waxing it off completely) helps a lot.  the last thing that i've observed, kind of a silly thing i suppose, is that when i'm drinking enough water, the itching, dryness and thus the fissures are WAY less common.  good luck to everyone.
I can't tell you how refreshing it is to know that I am not the only one with this problem! I have suffered from tears for 20 years!!!! It so strange through... sometimes they will happen everytime I have sex. Then randomly... won't happen. I remember thinking "Wow! I am having sex pain free!!!!" then feel inclined to do it as much as possible. Then randomly... boom... vaginal tear! Ugh....  painful sex again. It just *****!  The pain free only happens once every 5 years or so. It's crazy. I try to figure out what I am doing different but it's nothing. I've asked every gyno I have EVER gone too... Oh! You just need more foreplay!" I could have foreplay for hours... it's not going to make a difference! I just started excepting that this was going to be my life. It seems sometimes they are worse than others. Sometimes they take a week to heal, sometimes as little as a couple of days. It hurts so bad to pee. I've never found anything to relieve the pain. Yesterday, I went to the doctor for what I thought was Hemorrhoids but ended up being anal fissures. That is what led me to this message board. I thought if I am having fissures in my anus. (Like a bigger version of what's going on near my vagina) Maybe they are related! I've decided I just have BAD orifices!!!! The descriptions I have read are dead on... paper cuts! Exactly! Painful paper cuts!  Some of you have posted that maybe there are underlying problems... like taking antibiotics, diabetes,   etc... well... I've got nothing!!!!! Haven't taken an antibiotic in years! I just want an answer! Like some magical skin strengthening cream or a shoe horn! (Always thought that would work...lol! )

If you are reading these comments...PLEASE post your own experience! We truly need to bring more attention to this problem!!!
Let me just say. Like so many others, I am glad that I found this forum. When you go to Dr after Dr, sometimes it makes you feel better to see others who have the same symptoms as you do and realize what you are going through. I too get tiny paper like cuts right below the clitoris near the vaginal opening, I got one before on the anus too. Some times I thought it was sex, now I think it may be herpes. but I think Im just freaked out about herpes, I had a boil a couple of days ago and thought it was that. I have a test pending. This will be the longest two week of my life, Any way I Think it(papper cut like tear/ fissures) may have something to do with vaginal irritation, dryness, sex, a mixture of things. Like one other person I also noticed some after I took a poop (not to be nasty but it was a really big bowl movement) and i think this in conjuction with the wiping may have something to do with it. Any way thanx Reading this forum has help me deal with my erratic mind while waiting for my test results,

good luck to all
Wow,
I just had to put in my insight about this situation. The first time I had vaginal tears, I was freaked out that maybe someone gave me an STD. I went to the doctor, and got tested for everything under the sun and everything came back negative. He really didnt even know what it was. He suggested that it could be stress and try to keep the levels down. That was about a year ago. I am now battling it AGAIN! this really *****. I am taking a vacation to Orlando at the end of this week, and now I have to worry about this. I am scheduling a doctors sppt to test again to make sure I dont have an STD. these tears are so painful! the first time was the worse. I had them in my perineum and anal area. this time its just in the perineum. i think antibiotics does make it worse, so dont take it. wish me luck as i am going tomorrow to get rechecked. if he tells me anything new, i will let you guys know ASAP. lets hang in there ladies!!!
I'm 99.9 percent sure it's lichen's! I tested negative the first time. If they don't get a biopsy of the right piece of skin, it doesn't show. I've had lichens since I was a little girl but I was only recently diagnosed. All the same symptoms...tearing of the labia, fissures, bleeding. It's a result of thin skin. Steroid cream helps reverse the problem. Please ladies get tested again especially if you notice a reduction of your labia minora
I had this same problem and read everyone's posts.  I finally got to my gyno this past week, and I was diagnosed with herpes.  I just want everyone to know that you should really consider the possibility that you have an STD.  

Batteries of STD tests cannot include herpes because it's impossible to test for unless you are actually having an outbreak, and even then only at the very beginning of the outbreak.  Herpes doesn't have to be sores, in my case it just showed up as small paper cuts on the perineum, eventually moving downward.

Please don't assume that because you have been tested you are negative!  I was negative on all my STD tests.  Gynos can't test for herpes until you have an outbreak, so you need to make sure that you go to your gyno as soon as you are feeling any symptoms at all.
My doctor also diagnosed me with herpes. I later found out it was a misdiagnosis after being sent to an infectious disease doctor. A urogynocologist determined the cause of the itching and tearing to be from levator spasms. After a few months of physical therapy, am without symptoms except for right before my period if I am under stress. Look for a post from me "dgrabowski" further up in this thread posted on April 2, 2009, April 19, 2009 and July 31, 2009. It explains it in detail.
I have had the same problem with vaginal fissures from time to time.  I have been tested for HSV 1 & 2 twice & both tests have come back negative each time, plus my symptoms are really not indicative of HSV & I have always been at very low risk for STDs.  It is NOT true that you can only be tested for HSV when you are experiencing an outbreak.  There are very reliable blood tests available that test for HSV antibodies.  If you get the right test performed, it is highly reliable.  My vaginal irritation & the occasional accompanying fissure(s) always started at the same time - at the beginning of my off week of my birth control, close to the time my period started.  My GYN said the fluctuation in estrogen levels that is created during the off week can cause the vaginal lining & surrounding area to become irritated because it is sensitive to those changing hormones. The related fissures for me could very well be related to scratching the area on occasion, (try as I might NOT to scratch, sometimes it was just unavoidable due to the discomfort).  The best thing I did for these symptoms was get a prescription cream from my GYN (it's called Clobetasole) to apply to the affected area to stop the itch.  I also skipped the shower for a day & made sure not to touch the area at all, with the exception of applying the cream, (even then - watch those fingernails!).  48 hours of no water, soap, etc. getting on the area & not touching it pretty much did the trick & they healed up.  Also, to help soothe the area & provide a barrier of sorts while the fissures are healing, you can apply a thin layer of vegetable shortening, (yup - like Crisco).  It really helps!  I read that on the GYN expert forum.  It keeps the fissures from coming into contact with urine (OUCH!) & helps keep things moisturized down there.  Hope this helps someone!  :)
OMG...I'm about in tears knowing that my fissures are not unique!!!

I never even thought about it being a medical issue...and now that I've read some of the things on this post...OMG..I am so excited to go home and tell the boyfriend...I have not had sex in a while...i'm stressed, w/d from drugs (now clean! yay), had a herpes outbreak and now a tear at my rectum that hurts tremendously.

I use neosporine for every thing! I love that stuff. I use it when I feel an outbreak coming on and it almost never comes all the way 'out'...and i've been using it every time I go to the bathroom since this tear next to my anus. He keeps thinking its him...or that i don't love him...but now i know...and can share with him...the truth of the matter. And now I can go to my doctor with instructions of what to look for!

THANK YOU SO MUCH

what a breath of relief...I'm not alone...again, I find I'm not alone with my problems. I am going to try the tucks pads also...my tear is almost healed...but its the biggest I've ever had and its taking more than a week to heal.

Again...thank you.

I thought I was the only one suffering from this condition

I have a tear on my vagina since I started to have sex, about 13 years ago. I'm 32 now. I've been to some doctors and they told me that me and my boyfriend weren't doing foreplay. That's not true. Then I went to a new doctor and she prescribed me a steroid cream every night. My tear is, as doctors say, at 6 oclock and some times after having sex it bleeds a little. I looked it at the mirror and it bleeds. I had a biopsy and it showed nothing.
I'm having lots of pain during sex, I've tryied to change positions, but the pain is still there.
I do not have itching. my gyn examination is ok
but I'm sad that sex sometimes is not pleasant for me  :(
I was thrilled to find your post.  I've been dealing with this for years as well, but it's now getting worse and I'm going nuts.  Several yrs ago it was constant itching around the bottom of my vulva with occasional discharge.  After a battery of tests that all came back negative, the doctors kind of gave up as did I.  They gave me Diflucan to take as needed.  It seems to bring relief, but a few weeks later it will come right back. It seemed to corrolate with sex.  If I didn't use betadine right afterwards to help the ph then I'd have a flair up within a day or two.  I attributed all of this to being allergic to semen, which I'd read a lot about. When my bf is deployed I get maybe one attack every 7 months instead of once a month or so.  Fast forward five yrs to this summer.  I still have the lower vulva itching with discharge, but now I also get those awful paper cuts that itch like mad.  I stopped the bc's thinking it was hormone related as well.  Sex is fine but I've had a few times where the condom burned like mad in my vagina!  Skin to skin didn't burn inside, but then the condom did.  Any thoughts on that? My other question is do you find that your labia tingles??  I have random tingling when I get the tears. Everything I read about tingling pops up herpies.  But I have no blisters and I had the itchy vulva years before the tingling and the paper cuts.  Also could you tell us the continued kegle exercises you do after the initial treatment? Thanks
I also have been experiencing small tears/papercuts in the vaginal area.  It has started when I got on birth control about 3 months ago.  It has been recurring every couple of weeks and each time lasting longer and longer.

I am also experiencing back pain with mine.  I have seen that no one else has said anything about back pain and was wondering if anyone else gets it.  

My back pain happens at night and most of the time I am not doing anything more than sitting or laying down for it to start.  It starts low in my back down toward my butt as far down as you can go.  It feels like a big bulge and then starts to move up and down.  It has gone all the way up my neck and down to my knees the last time.  Each time it happens it gets worse.  

I have not gone to the dr about any of this due to I at this moment dont have insurance.  But am working on that so I can figure this out.

If anyone is experiencing anything like I am please let me know and if you have any other symptoms too.

Thanks.
Ok. my situation is similar to most..about a year ago I started having sex w. my boyfriend or whatever. Now I've been known to get UTI since before I ever started having sex. Like always I got an UTI like a few days after we had sex. I took it upon myself not to go to the doctor bc I did what i normally do..Well a few weeks later it came back. Now i'm trying to hold out from going to the doctor bc my insurance had not kicked in yet from my job. Anyway the pain intensified so i decided to go to the emergency room. The doctor ran test told me what i had was a normal UTI and gave me some antibotics. I was ok for like two weeks and then the pain came back. I had used some vaginal ointment thats when I noticed the blisters and sores. It was horrible I could hardly walk.This time I went to the hospital and the doctor prescribed me Valtrex(i think thats how u spell it) & antibotics to treat the UTI. Since i did not have insurance and Valtrex  is almost $250, i purchased the antibotic first. By the time I went and put the prescription for the Valtrex in (like 3 days) my blisters or small cuts were gone.
I took the Valtrex anyway to be safe but like 2weeks later I got another UTI. by This time I had insurence so I went to the doctor and once again they treated me for a UTI. I even had my boo go to the doctor to be tested for Herpes and he does not have it.
After I went to the doctor the last time, I had no more problems. Now all of a sudden the problem is back minus the UTI. I get small cuts at anytime. This is like my third outbreak this year. I used Neosporin the first two times this has happened. So I had an outbreak a few days ago in one area of my vaginal area and it went away. I woke up a few days later its in another spot.
i just don't know what 2do?
I've got the same thing.  Tingles and one random "paper cut" now and then that itches and hurts.  I've found that A@D ointment makes it feel better and it usually disappears in a day.  
i kind of hav the same thing. im 18 n hav been gettin these cuts the same as every1 else here and i find that baby oil applyed everytime after peeing and use a monistat cool wipe B4 bed bcuz of the vitamine E in it and ull b good as new in a week
vaginal tears peri anal tears.. 45 yrs DRY hypo thyroid on synthyroid causing dry eye DRY obgyn? area? sex hurts my clit and then i tear, vit a & D, diaper-ine, zinc oxide,
solor caine spray , liodocain gel valtrex lysine supplement my Vit D low vit b 12 low ? HSVI in my blood, lotrisone cream now my butt has blisters  allergies to most RX drugs i'm a mess
gyno does not see yeast diflucan x 2 treatments eatting yogurt..  partner has no symptoms of HSV I  he shaved his pubic area is it whiskers scratching me  rubbing tearing me? friction on top... position?
So glad to find so much information. I have had intense but sporadic itching for over a year and lately tiny tears around the anus and perineium.
The itching doesn't seem to correspond to anything...ie diet, sex, non-breathable clothes, maybe my period and probably stress but that last one is hard to evaluate sometimes. I and wondering if anyone out there has noticed a correlation between hemerhoids, vaginal itching or itchy hives on other parts of their body. I occasionally have outbreaks of all of these things and although they don't always happen at the same time I feel like they are all physiological and affected by my stress level.
I am really intrigued by the pelvic floor spasm theory because I teach Pilates which involves a lot of engaging the pelvic floor, in addition I have been dealing with recovering from the effects of childhood sexual abuse for the last seven years and I think that these two things combine might be contributing to "holding" stress in my pelvic floor. I can't tell you how relieved I am to find information about this. I was thinking that it all might be related but also feeling like it was so esoteric that I couldn't possible explain it to anyone.
I wish you all luck and relief from your symptoms.
your reference...My back pain happens at night and most of the time I am not doing anything more than sitting or laying down for it to start.  It starts low in my back down toward my butt as far down as you can go.  It feels like a big bulge and then starts to move up and down.  It has gone all the way up my neck and down to my knees the last time.  Each time it happens it gets worse...
I have hypo thyroid symptoms on synthroid and  a vit D Deficiency  vit b 12 defiency also  it could be your shoes  or your bed, did you try pillow between your knees try tonic water with quionine , try calcium magnesium potassim  food are you drinkin enough water? dehydration now i like propel vit b water  i'm 45  i use my chiropractor for my muscle spasms  he has a tens unit that works  hes cheaper then a dr and i'm satisfied
I had some valtrex left over from my shingles out break had shingles 3 times so far shoulder  surgery 2009 gallbladder surgery 2007 and in my head and throat during my divorce  internal they said 2003 and voilia,  my rectal  burnin and tears and pain  disappeared with valtrex  so  perhaps its a viral attack ?  knowing the HSVI cold sore virus is in my system   maybe you should get that tested ?  see how many of us carry that virus?  i notice  certain foods bring on rectal itching burnin , if i have too much acidic foods i start burning  after BM ,  also i had an antibiotic once and i had worms crawling in my butt sensation for 3 mos afterward soo perhaps medication is  a side affect i am allergic to morphine and codeines same sensations of worms  any one else like me?  also on Gluten free menu mostly stopped my IBS crazy ness , i changed my sneakers to nikke air and my back pain and butt  pain leg pain stopped  but i went to the chiropractor  soo right now today i seem normal YEAH
Hi, Im a 19yr old Virgin with no chance of an std. I have been on 'the pill' since I was 16/17 due to severe period pain. It is probably the last 2 years I have had these tears on my Inner labia and perianal region I used to have them so much worse even occuring on the outside of my outer labia. Perhaps this is something to do with the pill. Nevertheless:

I use soap alternatives now and found slight relief with Sebamed PH Balanced feminine wash (specified for pre-menopausal woman) and now have been using Aveeno Daily Wash which doesnt irritate the area at all in fact it takes the sting out. For creams I have used a number of different things. I was told to try proctosedyl by the doctors which helped with the stinging but in the end the cortisone did thin the skin I believe. I also tried rectinol (another hemoroid cream but with zinc) which stopped the stinging but didnt last as long. Ive also used vaseline, canesten, vagisil and at present have been using a simple antiseptic cream savlon which gives me relief and hopefully time for them to heal.

I would be interested what a doctor would say about such a great deal of women having his problem with it appears no real relief.
VESTIBULITIS **Birth Control Correlation**  I am a 27 year old healthy female, and when I was told I have vestibulitis, a lot of my problems went away.  I started dating my new partner about 8 months ago.  About 2 months into our relationship I kept getting what I thought to be yeast infections.  I went to the doctor over and over again, but all my test came back negative.  

Then I finally noticed that I had a tear at my 'six o'clock' spot on my vagina.  I was given steroid cream, which seemed to help, but also irritated me.  I was also experiencing some bladder pains, not a burning during urination, but at the bottom of my bladder, almost like a muscle pain.  Then I also started experience pain on the inside of my vaginal wall during sex, and was also very dry.  Later on I started to notice tiny cuts and tears around the opening of the vagina, approaching the anus, and on the outside of the labia and clitoris.

Long story short, I was referred to a Vulva specialist.  He said that I have vestibulitis which is due to a lack of estrogen in my vaginal tissues, and that my skin was very thin.  He also pushed right inside my vagina and asked me if that hurt.  I pretty much screamed yes, and he explained that this is my bartholin glands, which function off of estrogen and provide our bodies with the lubrication we need to have sex.  He said since these were not working properly, that was why I was having so much internal pain during sex.  He gave me estrogen cream to apply topically every night.  He also mentioned that if the cream does not work, that I will need to get off birth control (which I have been on for 11 years).  

So the cream made me just about perfect for about two months.  Sex was actually fun again, with no pain.  Then I skipped my period (proves the lack of estrogen), and started going through all my old symptoms minus the gland pain.  Just last week I skipped my period again, and decided to go off of birth control and try to restore my natural estrogen.  I am literally 2 days into being off birth control, but to me, this all makes sense.  I will come back and post in a little while to let you know how it is going.  

Good luck to everyone!  This situation is so hard, so much pain and no answers.  Hopefully this post will help someone.  
Ladies, I am so grateful for these postings. I am putting in my two cents here --- for me, I think my problem stemmed from chemicals in using Huggie wipes when I got a hemarroid (stress related) Thinking I was disinfecting the area, I started getting papercuts. I then used every topical cream possible but everything got worse and worse. Then I had an aha moment ... read the labels! See if you might be allergic to any of the hardcore chemicals put in these products. E.G. Huggies has Propylene Glycol ... that's anti-freeze etc. Many of the chemicals in these creams like Vagisil have side-effects stated as "hives," "skin irritations." Go figure! I'm in menopause and super-sensitive to any manmade chemicals. Try  Herbal Ed's Salve on labia etc. and all around - my papercuts VANISHED. Iit actually has improved not just my skin tone (the skin is so thin there) put also my ---to put it bluntly "juices." And yes, pelvic floor exercises are crucial.
These threads have been a huge help to me. I have been dealing with this for the past few months. I've been with my boyfriend for a year now, I came out of a 17 year marriage with the last 5+ years of it sex free. I'm almost positive it's not an std, I think it's more age related, just turned 40, having a sex life, using huggie wipes and scented body soaps and shaving. And I don't drink enough or any water. I'm really down in the dumps about this, especially after reading how painful everyone's are. As of yet, mine are not. I just just feel it, like a stingy papercut. It's just one, in the labia on the crease. I've been putting Vit E from the capsules on it since reading that on these boards. I have changed all soaps, and stopped using the baby wipes. I'm hoping things will get better. I'm hesitant about going to the doc. I would first have to see a GP and then be referred. Only to hear what you all are hearing. I don't think I have a yeast infection. I have no symptons. I'll keep watching these boards and see if anything new comes up. It's only been a few days since I've changed things, and I haven't had sex since, I'm waiting to see if things get better.
Hi everyone.  I've been suffering with these symptoms for the past year.  I mainly get the 'cuts' on my perineum but have also had them on my labia in the past.  I live in the UK and visited my doctor many times, getting nothing but useless advice such as 'don't wear thongs'!  Have been tested for STI's too - all negative.

Finally, I've visited a new doctor who has solved the problem!  She asked me if I suffer with dry skin or eczema (which I do) and said she thought it might be eczema in my genital area which makes the skin weak and prone to tearing.  She gave me a cream called Fucibet, which is a combination of fusidic acid (an antibiotic) and betamethasone valerate (a corticosteroid used to treat skin conditions such as eczema).  I used the cream twice a day for just one week.  The cut was gone within days and I haven't had ANY more since!  I also now shower with aqueous cream rather than soap or shower gel as it is also good for dry skin conditions.

Hope this helps others out there!
This may be of interest as i have this,  along with tears, it seems like mens pubic hair is rough, and it reminds me of razor burn, he likes to shave part of it off i wonder whisker burn?

Pudendal nerve entrapment

From Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Pudendal nerve entrapment (PNE) is a source of chronic pain,
in which the pudendal nerve (located in the pelvis) is entrapped or compressed.[1] Pain is worsened by sitting,
and can include prickling, stabbing, burning, numbness, and the sense of a foreign object in the urethra, vagina, or rectum. In addition to pain,
symptoms can include sexual dysfunction, impotence, anal and urinary incontinence.

Contents [hide]
1 Causes
2 Treatment
2.1 Physical Therapy
2.2 Corticoids treatment
2.3 Surgical
3 External links
4 References

[edit] Causes
PNE can be caused by pregnancy, scarring due to surgery and accidents. Anatomic abnormalities can result in
PNE due to the pudendal nerve being fused to different parts of the anatomy, or trapped between the sacrotuberous
and sacrospinalis ligaments. Heavy and prolonged bicycling, especially if an inappropriately shaped or incorrectly positioned bicycle seat
is used, may eventually thicken the sacrotuberous and/or sacrospinous ligaments and trap the nerve between them, resulting in PNE.

[edit] Treatment
[edit] Physical Therapy
There are stretches and exercises which have provided reduced levels of pain for some people.
There are different sources of pain for people since there are so many ligament, muscles and nerves in the area.
Sometimes women do pelvic floor exercises for compression after childbirth. However, there have been cases where
the wrong stretches make the constant pain worse. Some people need to strengthen the muscles, others should stretch,
while for some people it is purely neurological. There have been cases where doing stretches have helped bicyclists.
A helpful stretch for some is bending over and touching your toes. Another stretch includes bringing your knee to your chest
on the compressed side while laying on your back. One more possibly helpful stretch for bicyclists include sitting in the lotus position
and moving your head to the ground supporting yourself with your hands and keeping your buttocks up. Stretches should not be held long (about 8 seconds)
and be spreadout through the day. Acupuncture has helped decrease painlevels for some people, but is generally ineffective.
[citation needed] Chiropractic adjustments to the lower back have also helped some patients with pudendal nerve issues.

[edit] Corticoids treatment
Alcock canal infiltration with corticosteroids is a minimally invasive technique which allows for pain relief and could be tried when physical
therapy has failed and before surgery.

[edit] Surgical
Decompression surgery is done primarily in Nantes, France; Aix-en-Provence, France; Oklahoma City, Oklahoma; Phoenix, Arizona; Lake Elmo,
Minnesota; Baltimore, Maryland; Santa Monica, California; Houston, Texas; Switzerland; Belgium; Nashua, New Hampshire; and in Egypt.
The validity of decompression surgery as a treatment and the existence of entrapment as a cause of pelvic pain are controversial.
While certain doctors will prescribe decompression surgery, others will not. Notably, in February 2003 the European Association of Urology
in its Guidelines on Pelvic Pain said:

the reality is that pudendal nerve neuropathy is probably only a likely diagnosis if the pain is unilateral, has a burning quality and
is exacerbated by unilateral rectal palpation of the ischial spine, and the pudendal motor latency is delayed on that side only.
However, such cases account for only a small proportion of all those presenting with perineal pain and the proof of the diagnosis
resting on relief of pain following decompression of the nerve in Alcock's canal is rarely achieved.
The value of the clinical neurophysiological investigations is debatable; some centres in Europe claim
that the investigations have great sensitivity (1,2), while other centres, which also have a specialized interest
in pelvic floor neurophysiology, have not positively identified any cases.[2]

Three types of surgery have been done to decompress the pudendal nerve: transperineal,
transgluteal, and transichiorectal
. The results on pain are very similar (around 60% of cure). Impotence, anal and urinary incontinence can also be cured by these procedures.

[edit] External links
PNE web forum and community
Pudendal Help
Pudendal.com by Groupement Européen de Périnéologie
Society for Pudendal Neuralgia
Pudendal.info: PNE Web Community
Treatment and Diagnosis of Pudendal nerve clinical syndromes
Living with Pudendal Neuralgia Book
[edit] References
^ Filler, AG: Diagnosis and treatment of pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome subtypes: imaging, injections,
and minimal access surgery Neurosurgical Focus DOI: 10.3171/FOC.2009.26.2.E9.
^ European Association of Urology, most recent guidelines (downloadable PDF on Chronic Pelvic Pain is the first item in the list).
Am J Phys Med Rehabil. 2003 Jun;82(6):479-84. (PMID 12820792)
Eur Urol. 2005 Mar;47(3):277-86 (PMID 15716187)
Clin Exp Neurol. 1991;28:191-6. (PMID 1821826)
BMC Surg 2004, 4(1):15 full text
Retrieved from "http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pudendal_nerve_entrapment"
Thank you all for sharing your stories. They have been extremely helpful to me!  I had vaginal/anal/labial itching and tearing five years ago and went to several doctors and tried many things and eventually cleared my symptoms up.  However, over the last several months my symptoms reappeared, and I am struggling with resolving them.  I am 47, perimenopausal, and not sexually active at this time, in part because of these issues. What helps:  I only use fragrance-free, hypo allergenic detergent, cotton panties, no bleach or spot remover, only ivory soap to clean that area.  The proctologist recommended a hand held shower head to "really get down there and gently clean the area free of soap," "clenching the buttocks" when shampoing hair so as not to get runoff, drying the area with a cool hairdryer, and staying away from the steroid based ointments, as they thin the skin and increase tearing.  I have tried numerous remedies, including A&D, resinol, antibiotic-based creams, but none clears it all up.  The common factor between five years ago and now is that my ex-husband has taken me to court to further reduce his financial obligations to his child. My stress level is very high, which increases my alcohol intake, which increases my caffeine intake, which decreases my water intake.  I believe the stress, combined with the higher acidity of the urine exacerbates the problem. Decreasing the caffeine and increasing my water intake helps. This time I'm having additional trouble resolving, and I believe it has to do with the changes in my hormones and PH levels due to the perimenopause.  Hope this helps some of you out there connect the dots to your own mystery!  Good luck!
Fixing a mineral dificiency healed my perineal crack!  I had a crack that formed on the perineal area last year.  It started out small, 1/4 inch, and then kept increasing in size until it was 1 inch and a "Y" shape.  It kept getting irritated with sex and bowel movements.  I searched message boards like this one and followed many suggestions listed: I switched to cotton undies, used unscented laundry detergent and body soap, kept the area clean, rubbed Vitamin E oil on it for months,... despite all of my efforts, the crack never closed up for more than a day.  The crack stayed for 8 months.  I'm in my first year of marriage so this was so frustrating!

Other issues led me to find out that I had a Magnesium deficiency.  There are MANY different symptoms of this deficiency - one of them being "impaired wound healing."  With my doctor's suggestion, I began taking a Magnesium supplement, 250mg twice a day.  After 2 weeks, my issues began to diminish greatly.  But the best effect was that the perineal crack completely healed and stayed healed!  After 8 months of agony, it's finally gone.

This post, of course, is not to say that everyone with a perineal crack has a magnesium deficiency.  However, I would encourage you to look up the symptoms to see if any fit.  Also, evaluate your daily vitamin and mineral intake - maybe there is something else you are lacking in?  If you are like me and tried everything else, this is worth a try!
Thank you so much to everyone who has commented on this issue.  I am so glad I found this web site.  I have been in tears the last 10 months not knowing what is going on with me.  I have been to 8 doctors (including an infectious disease specialist, OBGYN and a dermatologist) and no one can really seem to give me an answer about what is wrong with me.  

I am a 30 year old mother of 2.  I became pregnant in May of 2009. A month later I became very sick.  My doctor did what is called a panel of blood tests to see what I was sick with and it came back that I was newly infected with the herpes virus.  (I did not have any symptoms of herpes)  Now there is no possible way that I could have got this seeing as though I did not cheat on my husband and I know for a fact he did not cheat on me.  We have been together for about 9 years now and were both virgins when we got married.  I have also had several blood tests for the herpes virus over the last 10 months and all of them are negative.  Every doctor I have seen have also ruled out herpes.  

The symptoms that I am having (which started in september 2009) include these paper cut sensations on my labia and the area right above the clitoris.  These sensations last about 2 weeks and then start to go away, but then they come right back before I can get any relief.  I feel like I am going crazy sometimes because I can see these cuts in my skin but to everyone else they seem invisible.  I also had this tingling painful blister on my labia that appeared and lasted about 4 to 5 days and then went away on its own.  ( there was no scabbing or anything like it).  The area on my skin that had the blister was then painful for about 2 months ( doctors still ruled out herpes).  I don't know if it is related or not but, another symptom that I get are these flat shiny clusters of spots on my skin (kind of look like fish scales) on my arms and legs that last a few hours to a day that are itchy and minimally painful.  I did try the valtrex at one point when I was having these paper cut sensations but it did not work.

My doctor gave me a prescription for Clotrimazole-Betamethasone Cream this week so I am going to see if that works.  I am also going to mention to my doctor the lichen sclerosus and get tested for that.  

If anyone has any advice on this issue it would be greatly appreciated.  

Thank you again to everyone!!!  I am glad to know now that I am not going crazy!   :)
Hello All,

I wanted to thank everyone for adding to this board your comments and insights have really helped me. I took so much away from this board that when I found a way to HEAL my fissures QUICKLY and WELL I just had to come back and share.

Just a little about my situation. I've been lucky and only had tears twice in my life. The first time around I was living abroad and actually had a case of candida. My doctor in hong kong gave me a slew of pills (don't remember the names sorry) and two creams an anti-fungal called canesten and Betnovate cream and a female wash. They worked and I never thought about it again. However the second time I got fissures was for a much less medical reason. The guy I'm seeing is pretty wide as he tops the 6 foot mark and I'm short at 5'3" Anyway we both like it from behind (too much information I know) and the seems to stretch the skin back there which seems to cause tearing. Not too painful but for obvious reasons the tears kind of freak him out. We both got tested for STDs and my gyno looked at the tear and said it didn't look like herpes.

I read these post and tried everything to heal the fissures (no underwear at night, neosporin vit d and a in a jelly and hydrocortisone).  It was slow going for the healing and we were in the honeymoon stage of our relationship so that probably didn't help. Because of outside factors we even had about three weeks window of no sex. Most of the smaller fissures healed by then and didn't re-open up but the longest one did again the very first time we had sex after three weeks. I was pissed.

After little more research and a trip to the grocery store I found an amazing TREATMENT and a completely natural one. I too was worried about overusing the creams that can cause then skinning. Again sorry for too much info but here goes. I didn't want my fissure to heal closed in the position when I'm upright and not in the act laugh. To me it seemed to be acting like any other scab on a stretch part of my body. Fine and healing when it's at rest but cracking and splitting open the first time you move or stretch that skin.

So Step #1 was to get the fissure to start healing with little more space between the two sides of skin. I found single use liquid band-aids that come in they're own applicator. I'll get back to when and how I applied them a little later.

Step #2 I went to the homeopathic section of my local grocery store looking for vitamin E caps that I could break up and apply to the fissure as I read here that helped. Instead I found cream from dermaE called Tea Tree and E Antiseptic Cream. I remember reading about tea tree oil as a treatment for women who get this condition from childbirth from a midwives website. Turns out Tea Tree Oild is a powerful antibacterial, antifungal and antiseptic and Vitamin D is great for the skin

Step #3 This last thing is me just wanting to be preventive. In the homeopathic section I found a vitamin for Skin, Hair, Nails made by Natrol. I figure if what happened to be was caused by an imbalance that they might help and at least the couldn't hurt.

Ok so now we have all the ingredients here's what I did and the timeline. I had sex and and my tear reopened on friday. I bought the supplies on Sat. I cleaned the area. Using gloves I spread the Tea tree cream down there massaging it in. It's quite soothing though it does have a bit of a methanol feel to it for a while. I let it soak in and a little later went back and wiped the excess off.

It's going to get graphic again ladies. Then I lay on my back with a hand mirror and spread them as they say to stretch the skin as wide as possible and applied the liquid band-aid over the fissure. My thinking was to try to get my body to repair the damaged skin a little wider then it had been before. As I hear that tissue is less flexible after it heals . Hold the position for 2 minutes to let is dry. Lastly before I went to bed I applied the cream again and slept without underwear. I also tried to sleep in a position that would spread the skin a little wide. I also took my supplements with my first meal of the day.

That was it and the next day when I checked the fissure was already healing and healing well. I repeated this process every day. I only had to use the liquid band-aids for the first two days as they seemed to trigger the exact healing i was looking for. After the fissure started to heal when I applied the cream I began to slowly massage and stretch that area. Hoping to make it more pliable.

I started this on Sat and it's Monday now I already have nice new skin down there and it healed a lot wider then the other time when I waited three weeks and it still reopened during my first bout of sex. That entire area looks a lot more pliable, healthy and feels a lot stretchier. As a Disclaimer I have not had sex yet so I don't know if the new skin will stretch or split when I do. But I wish I had done this when my guy was away for three weeks. I am almost 100% certain that if I had I wouldn't have split on Friday. I'm going to continue using that cream after it completely heals as it's natural and I don't have to worry about skin thinning. I'm amazed as I write this that in 2 and a half days so much healing occurred. I've been trying to heal these things since me and my guy started having sex about 2 months ago.

I really hope this helps everyone. Like I said I tried everything over the counter on here that people suggested and this has worked the best.

I'd give you all an update. My guy and I had a very vigorous session yesterday and the results are no fissures. Yeah! Not a single new one and the large one I was trying to heal didn't re-open like it did when we waited 3 weeks before having sex. With the treatment I describe in my above post the fissure healed completely and did not re-open with only one week of healing. Timeline: It re-opened on a friday after three weeks of abstaining from sex and trying every cream under the sun and then it healed in 3 days using the treatment I mentioned above and did not re-open the next friday after a very vigorous bout of fun. I can't describe how happy I am. I was starting to feel like I was broken in some way. I hope writing this will help others in the future. Good luck!
Hi I'm 21 and have been experiencing these anal/perineum fissures for the past 2 years or so. I have been tested for everything and have never had anything but 2 abnormal paps (which when followed up with a colposcopy showed nothing). I'm on loestrin 24-fe, but I started getting the fissures when I was on the nuva ring. I have digestive issues (IBS) and rarely have normal bowel movements. Is it possible that I get irritated from stomach acids or anything like that? I frequently have either diarrhea or extremely painful solid bowel movements (which don't help the already present fissures). Thoughts?
HI
I sent you a note, I have a lot of things that seemed to help what actually worked I"m not sure but I am fissure free Since i stayed on GLUTEN free menu, i have hypothyroid so i am on synthroid 37.5 mcg, i have suspect FMS, MFP fibromyalgia myofacial pain trigger point pain so maybe my symptoms are milder being gluten free, I do cheat alot and i get my IBS back so i use zinc ointment baby diaperin, AD ointment  i use this as a preventitive,  no yeast but it get red and irriated panty liners  irritate and aggravate so you may take this into consideration, alot of body washed with micro beads are scratching me so i use Alveeno bath wash , my BF is hairy and i think his pubic hair is scratching me causing me to crack friction, so he shaved and now it seems like the i am staying tear free? maybe hair conditoner will help keep his pubs softer? soo
If you drink or eat alot of citric acid foods i have more problems, so make sure your urine is CLEAR drink lots of water, try fibercon capsules any brand this will absorb the liquid from the IBS and the acid so it won't irritate us .. happy to share more on GF start with cereals  oatmeal grits rice chex corn chex GF name brand try rice crispies read ingredients NO wheat no Modified food starch,  eat fritos corn chips tortilla chips NOT dortitos that has MSG which is another no no along with wheat, no rye no barley no malt, fresh fruits fresh vegetables, cooked veggies toss salads watch your dressings for wheat, soups NO wheat or msg  broths the same, chocolate is ok smile not twix its a cookie, bob redmills has GF cakes brownies pizza, buy pasta corn or rice not regular
my area dollar stores, big lots ocean state job lots carry alot of the GF cheaper then the stores.. can't hurt to see if this stops your IBS, on the medical side i had polyps in my stomach removed they were hyperplastic benign , gallbladder was sluggish full of polyps,  my colonoscopy was normal no celiac diease no Chrones just hemmeroids so my dumping is gastric not diesased intestines.. food allergies AVOID diet sugars and diet food that cause Diarrhea, diet sugars aggravate fibromyalgia and i know alot of people with thyroid use diet.. and suffer..  stay natural if you can real milk real butter see if your body starightens up once i detoxed with wheat i was energenic but your body will dump for several days on the GF menu then you will hold everything in
i take VIT D vit B12  i take DHEA and now Lcaraitin its an amino acid to metabolize our FAT, its used for heart issue but with malabsorbition issues we dont' hold many vit and minerals so get blood work for your VITs.  

www.  glutenfreeclub. com they have lots of recipes for free
This Pizza crust is a nice change from the regular ones that use yeast and it's quick!

Ingredients:
1 cup gluten free flour
¼ cup potato flour
1 tablespoon sugar
1 teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon gluten free baking powder
1 large egg
½ cup milk
1/8 cup olive oil

Directions:
Preheat oven at 350°F. Spray a pizza pan or cookie sheet with cooking spray.

In a medium bowl, add all of the dry ingredients and whisk lightly until well combined.

In a large glass measuring cup, whisk together egg,milk and oil. Take note of how much liquid there is. You need one cup of total liquid so if you need more, add extra milk. Slowly add the liquid into the dry ingredients. Stir rapidly with a wooden spoon until well combined.

Place dough into pan. Work gently with hands to spread evenly on bottom of pan. Brush dough with olive oil and top with desired toppings. Place on top rack of oven and bake until dough is crisp and golden and cheese is melted, about 30 minutes.

Contributed by Angie Halten

this is a good start  for your IBS since i am a bread lover ..
I am not glad to find so many that have the same problem, that means you are all miserable too, but I am glad to see the problem addressed. I see everyone here has tried everything they can think of to help this problem of skins tears, burning and itching. Thanks to all, I got some good information from you. Here is something I have tried that helps. Every time you go pee, wipe yourself with diluted apple cider vinegar. It stings a little. For the extremely painful tears that itch and make you want to beat your head against the wall.... dab a little OraJel (yes, the stuff for toothache) on the area and it immediately kills the pain and itch and will last for hours. It will let you get some sleep. Carry it in your purse so that you don't scratch yourself in public and save your dignity.
36 years old and for the first time in my life I noticed one long tear about a month or two ago.  For the first month it would kinda heal if I spread Vaseline on it but never fully healed.  Then in the second month I noticed more small tears showing up and they started to spread. Since then it's definitely spread and now I have various size tears on both sides of my vagina, around my anus (sorry for the yucky word) and I think I even have a papercut tear at the very top of my backside where my hiney crack ends and meets my back.  

I thankfully found this site and took the advice of many and immediately went to my OBGYN and got tested for every STD under the sun TWICE and everything came back negative which I wasn't surprised as I am in a devoted relationship.  

I haven't been really on any antibiotics ever in my life, no yeast infections in my life either and when it comes to sex let's just say I have absolutely no problem with generating a healthy amount of lubrication so it can't be due to any of those possible causes that's making me have these.  I'm completely stumped as I'm very healthy, in great shape, eat well and yet for some reason all of a sudden this appears.  I'm stumped.  The only thing I can think of is my job is beyond stressful but who's isn't right :o)    

Odd thing is the cuts don't itch all day long but when I get home and take off my underware to change into a new clean pair the itch starts up and it's at that time that I can't stop itching because it's so damn itchy all of a sudden which of course creates more cuts from me itching it too hard.  Ugh!  I noticed the itching for me only happens once in the morning and once at night but boy when it does itch, it's close to impossible to not scratch it and scratch it hard.    

I wanted to ask everyone a few questions and am really hoping for some replies! .... Have you all experienced it spreading over time like mine has?  

Do they ever heal up completely or for most of you is this a condition that once it appears it's then constant forever?  

Please tell me no one has experienced this type of condition spreading to your boyfriends.  I know from reading this undoubtly seems to be a skin condition / skin thinning I've developed but I would feel horrible if there was any way this could be spread to my boyfriend.  Have any of your boyfriends / husbands also developed this?  I am hoping to get married to my boyfriend and would feel awful if I found out he could develop this too from me.

Thanks to all for taking the time and having the courage to tell your stories!    
I posted this on a different forum yesterday, but noticed more recent activity on this forum - so decided to copy it here.  Hope it helps!

Visited this forum last week in search of answers to my vaginal 'fissures' and didn't feel like I found answers I needed.  I've suffered with papercut-like splits among other symptoms along labial folds and surrounding vagina and bum area for several years.  Sex has been extrememely painful with awful swelling afterwards.  I've been told its yeast or bacterial infection and have been treated for both with no resolution several times.  Yesterday I visited the gynecologist that saw me during my pregnancy last year and after looking at my symptoms for only a moment declared "You have VULVAR LICHEN SCLEROSIS".  I'm having a vulvar biopsy next week just to conclude the diagnosis with certainty and rule out any other possibilities.  I've researched this disorder online since yesterday and am 100% positive I have received an accurate diagnosis and can receive treatment to control this now.  Symptoms along with images from google are EXACTLY what I have been experiencing and what sound like many of you on this forum are struggling with.  It is more common in menopausal women, but I am under thirty.  In the past I have been aggressively treated for herpes - as it was believed this was the cause, as well as yeast and bacterial infections.  I received no answers from several GP's, a different gynecologist or an infectious disease specialist.  But my gyno yesterday has experience with this disorder and recognized it immediately!! Don't take no for an answer - if you don't test positive for yeast/bacteria - it is NOT that!!  If you're symptoms aren't far enough along to recognize by exam, request a biopsy for diagnosis.  Please google VULVAR LICHEN SCLEROSIS if you have these symptoms and find a doctor familiar with the condition.  If the disorder advances too far the result can be significant development of scar tissue and further struggles with pain and sex.  Hope I've helped someone out there!!

These are my symptoms - you may have some or all of them with this condition.
-unbearable nightime itching
-painful fissures at perineum and labial folds
-redness/purplish colored flesh (bruising) around vagina
-tiny ulcers/cuts around vagina
-painful intercourse/swelling afterwards
-bleeding
-symptoms sometimes dissapear for days then return
-whitened flesh around urethra and labial folds (from formation of scar tissue)

Ask your gynecologist about VULVAR LICHEN SCLEROSIS!!!!
I looked up Vulvar lIchen sclerosis and a lot of the pictures don't look like the vaginal tears that I have. I thought it was herpes as I posted before but blood and swab both came back negative. I have some of the same EXACT symptoms you have;

unbearable nightime itching
-tiny ulcers/cuts around vagina

Especially the swelling after intercourse and intense nightime and after sex itching.
But I am still not sure its the VLS you mention, because I dont have that whitened flesh that you mentioned or that I found in searches on the internet. To answer your question, when it goes away mine heal completely (i think), because I can feel the fissures/cuts anymore, there is no pain with sex, or no longer pain after urinating right after sex.
I think the more times i get it, it does spread, though. The first time I got a fissure it was one or two spots, now its like 6 or 7 on the inner labia

So said you are recieving treatment to control this, what does the treatment consist of, if you dont mind sharing? I just usually wait mine out, it goes away in like a week and a half.
One more thing, not to get to personal, but having sex from the back position for me seems to bring these cuts on, I dont know if it because the stretching of the skin

I am 40 years old with two teenage children.  I started using the depo shot after my last child was born (13 years ago) and haven't had a period since.  About six months ago I thought I had a yeast infection and went through the normal steps to control it (Monistat etc.) but it didn't go away. I called my Gyn that I have had for 17 years to see if she would call in a prescription for  pills that would help because it seemed like any cream I used just irritated it more. That didn't help either so I made an appointment to see my Gyn. She thought it was just a bad yeast infection and gave me more medicine. When it still didn't clear it up I made another apt.(over the last 17 years the only reason to see my Gyn was to have a baby or for my yearly apt. nothing else) to check to see if it could be something else. They checked to see if I was diabetic but I wasn't. By now I was itching so bad that I would get up in the night to shower.  I also had 2-3 tears at all times.  Then I got a rash on my rear so they sent me to a dermatologist and treated me for shingles.  The rash went away but the rest continued.(after about $750 worth of medicine)  Nothing seems to work, I am out of ideas. It isn't an STD but it seems to be correlated to long term BC, age, stress and I don't know what else.  Please help!
Posted Previously

4390evans, Apr 19, 2010 05:30PM
Hi everyone,
I had a baby last november and the doc suggested I go on the pill in jan and I went on it for 4 days then came off since then I have suffered from these vaginal fissures, to be honest I thought Id scratched myself. When the first one appeard I just shrugged it off and applied canesten then I was sitting watching a movie and I felt a pop then another, it didnt hurt at first but later it was really sore, then when i ran up the stairs I felt another I asked my partner to have a look and he said I was covered in little slits and they were also on the Vagina opening which explained why sex was painful, I went to the doc he gave be a Tropical cream to insert on a night which made it worse as i started to itch and there was LOADS of white discharge. I went to a different doc and he has given me METRONIDAZOLE 400g to be take 3 times a day and he also gave me canasten once, he said to apply vasaline to the cuts to give them chance to heal which I have done so, I also dont wipe when I go to the loo I pat and I think Its working I dont feel as bad or swolen fingers crossed people xx

TODAY
Ok Just a quick update. I have been clear of these painfull fissures for nearly a month not one at all! Im so happy although I only suffered for a few months I honestly thought Id have to put up with this all my life, but Im glad to say they have GONE
Go to your doctors and ask for  METRONIDAZOLE 400g
Wow! I can't believe how many other women are suffering through this. I wanted to post because although my symptons are similar I believe all my problems started after the birth of my second child. With both children I had to have an episiotomy. First one, seven stitches, second one 12 stitches. These did not heal in the best way so they give me problems all the time. I have used antibiotic creams and have even tried some homeopathic treatments like tea tree oil and moistened seaweed wraps. Like everything else..temporary relief and then the cuts come back. I can be fine for a while and then like others, I shift the wrong way while driving or stretch down to get something and POP! there it goes again. I endlessly search the internet and Doctors for solutions but as yet no miracle cure. Keep the faith Ladies and keep communicating. Silence and embarrassment will not solve this problem. I will continue reading this link and adding any useful information I come across.
Take Care All!
Glad to hear some have recovered... now I discovered somethings that might be part of our issues... public toilet paper  , I scratched and irriated myself, it's too rough, recycled who knows what chemicals we are putting on our privates  I use zinc baby diaper rash  cream, and Prep H ointment on my whole area, I have a problem with ALL Lubricating gels name brand and generic soo ,  so what works for me is  epsom salts SITZ bath it very healing, now we all know tight pants undies thongs etc are not a good idea, too loose is not good either do you sit alot in your car I seem to get more irriated sitting for long periods of time, i added a pillow and a viberating heat massage seat and I seem to be better, now take a multi vitamin with minerals  i'm sure with stress we are lacking something someplace, remember female PADS, tampons, spray shower gel  can make problems fragrance, chemicals added,  i find my problem is worse  when I wear a panty liner, i use xtra long if I wear one temperarly, now laundry soap dryer sheets  THEY CHANGE ingredients and don't have to tell us,  that happened to a friend she never strayed from her soap and got a severe bout of contact dermatitis, soo she called the company and thats what happened, same goes with shampoo and shaving gels and body washes,  soo those who like  oral  relations  SALIVA is not germ free and you add that to your sores it makes it worse...  SOAK in epsom salts AM and at Night  and hopefully  my tricks will help some of you, DHEA suppleement is hormones  that may help,

HAVE AN ITCH FREE GOOD DAY.
i have it for the first time; I THINK, i dont want to get it worse, please help.. tea tree oil ?
IRRITABLE VULVA SYNDROME!
After years of thinking something was wrong, while at least 8 differnent MDs/NPs have told me 8 different things here is what I have experienced and learned so far:

-i contracted HSVII at age 19

have had what i thought were 'outbreaks' for years, fine skin fissures in vagina/perineum, inflammation, shooting pain sometimes in upper thighs, butt, and vulvar (or crotchal region)-  had flareups 3-4 times a year at least w/o much improvement with anti-virals (episodic and suppressive)

i went to the doctor three years ago to get treatment, and the culture comes back negative for herpes...

throughout the past three years they've ruled out fungal and bacterial infxn, lichen schlerosis, and it herpes...

The info i've found that seems to fit the most is about Vulvodynia- although that is a vague term, meaning 'pain in the vulva'- it covers a wide array of symptoms- some of which I have, or have had at some point.  

This first website links the vulvar pain with skin fissures, although as a sidenote.
http://www.obgyn.net/pelvic-pain/pelvic-pain.asp?page=/cpp/articles/glazer.vulvodynia_faq

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vulvodynia

As to causes, I've read of Israeli researchers investigating the link between a vaginal disease called vulvar vestibulitis and HPV, but I don't think they've found anything conclusive about the presence of any virus in the women with these syptoms.

Perhaps a combination of causes-
I don't have the healthiest digestive system, although I eat somewhat healthy diet.  Is there a link with IBS?  What relation with HSV, HPV, or other viruses?  What relation with fibromyaliga and autoimmune disorders? What relation with trauma?

Things that have helped:
ONLY Cotton underwear
Cutting crotches out of pantyhose or use garter belt
No tight pants, lots of skirts or loose pants
Sitz baths (or just wash area) adding baking soda to lukewarm water
Patting, instead of wiping, after peeing
Cut down on bicycle riding

I've read of pelvic floor muscle excercises that are supposed to help, addressing any psychological effects of trauma- as vulvodynia includes pain with penetration so any sexual trauma might be contributing- This all reminds me so much of a friend  describing Irritable Bowel Syndrome, so I've called this Irritable Vulva Syndrome!
I would just like to let all of you know that this forum just saved my life. I honestly thought that I had an STD and I'm at a young age and I can't stand to think that's a possibilty. I have only been sexually active once and these cuts started coming a few days after that so immediately I believed it was an STD. But I looked up herpes and saw pictures and my cuts don't look like the blisters that they show. I'm extremely scared and these cuts are killing me when I pee. I can't bare the pain but I am afraid of telling my mom about being sexually active. I read something about anit-bacterial wipes that helped these cuts heal faster and go away for a little bit and I'm going to try that and hopefully my cuts will go away. I am praying for my cuts to heal and that it is not herpes and I'm praying for all of you that have to suffer through the same pain. Good luck to you all (:
hi im from england, i pretty sure i know what is causing this.  i have suffered with anal fissures and vaginal problems for the last year, no real help from the docs, one night i was in so much pain one night i went to a walk in centre, just an ointment, that was no help. well iam a person that looks in to food, years ago my son kept coming out in hives, docs were not interested, i spent the time and found it was eggs.
i have done the same with me, its citric acid, i have looked at all food ingredients for the last 2 months, excluded citric acid for the last month and i have been fine, no more discharge , or itching no pain, no fissures or bleeding.
citric acid burns it way down, its acid, if you look at ingrediants there are other acids as well.
just like to say theres also a lot of men out there that also have anal fissures, that what makes me feel its the acids in foods.
you all take care paula
I can relate to foods... i  use alot of tomatoes  stewed marinated etc found i was having issues then the recycled toilet paper at public places @ work it seems to scratch and viola i crack i use zinc oxide, diaper rash cream and sitz bath with baking soda neutralizes acid, aka juices oj grapefruit etc.spicy foods.and strawberrys are bad for me.. i am on a wheat free menu  and feel better my issues are hit n miss now due to my above suggestion. i think alcohol can play into this.. issue. and at 45 my vaginal dryness is noted... ky always to be safe ..rinse off later  it may be causing irritation i had problems with the heat massage ky!  one day at a time!
i am so glad i found this site. i thought my va jay-jay was the only one going thru this. i also have paper like cuts around that area. i really really am relieved to see so many others with the same vaginal issues i have. i didnt want to tell my boyfriend this for a fear he might think something was wrong down there.
every now and then it is due to sex, sometimes for no reason, and others after I use monistat (i think it dries out the area)
you all have no idea how grateful i am to read all yalls stories.
I too have these "paper cuts!!!"  I am sooooo relieved to find that I am not alone.  I too have been embarrassed about my symptoms and not shared with my bf until recently.  I thought that there may have been something wrong with me too.  I noticed a more frequent occurrence of the cuts and itching after graduating college.  I have only had 3 partners, including my bf and was worried that I may have gotten an STD...  

What drabowski says makes the most sense to me.  I started undergoing alot of stress soon after I started my career.  I thought and was told by my OBGYN that it was frequent yeast infections.  It may be a combo of both, but I really think that I will see a specialist and the muscle spasm theory.  

Please keep posting...It's such a relief to know that we are not alone!
Thank you all so much for posting your experiences here. I, too have had anal and vaginal tears for the last 6 months or so.  I recently got off of birth control pills, so I suppose the change in hormone levels could be to blame. I have never had children.  I have, however, been diagnosed with HPV (abnormal pap smear, led to colposcopy, which resulted in this diagnosis). I know that fissures can be a symptoms of some types of HPV.  My husband has experienced no symptoms of this, but I am sure I contracted HPV from him, as I only had one partner prior to him, and none of these issues came up. Most of the time men do not have symptoms.

I have only found that applying neosporin makes them heal quickly (within a day for me)...but I am desperate to find a way to PREVENT them. My doctor once gave me estrogen cream to apply down there, which BURNED like crazy, so I never used it again. I've only been married a few months, and this is affecting out sex life, naturally. :-(  I would also like to have a child soon, but can barely stand having sex, because afterwards it burns, is sore, and the cuts are present. When I was living apart from my husband (before we were married, we were in different states), the symptoms were lessened greatly. I am going to the doctors tomorrow and will update if I learn anything new.
Hello everyone,

I have been suffering from vaginal tearing for the last year. It made me feel horrible about myself, as if it was my fault or my lacking as a women. However, i've recently come through the other side and seem to be completely better, so i wanted to share my success with everyone who is suffering.

First though, although we are all suffering from the same symptoms, i don't think we necessarily share the same cause, (like how a cough or headache can be caused by many different things) which means my solution may not work for you.

So hears my story. A year ago i got a new boyfriend (before that i had the same partner for many years, with no pain during sex) and soon after we first had sex i got my first ever yeast infection. I took diflucan and it cleared up but within the next few weeks i started getting the tears after sex. Sex was moderately painful, but urination was horrible. I tried not having sex for weeks and they would clear up but as soon as i had sex again they would be back. It was impacting my relationship so badly. we both felt terrible. I thought it would never go away.

So i went and saw my dr. She prescribled a higher level birth conrtol (i was on alless and now am on marvalon). This helped improve the problem to the point where sex was a bit painful but there was no more blood or stinging when i peed. I waited 3 months to see a gynocologist and it was so dissapointing. She gave me a steroid cream which didn't help at all. While i was on the cream i got a really persistant yeast infection that wouldn't clear up. I went and saw her again and she said that she "thought" i "might" have hpv. I thought this very unlikely as i have had only two partners. I went and got a second opinion and it was infact a reaction to the cream. This new dr thought the yeast infections were the problem and that my partner and i may be infecting each other. I got tested for yeast twice, but it came back negative both times. However i think there must be some problem with that test as it seems a lot of us SHOULD be testing positive. (it is an unfortunate fact that womens health is a realtively new science, with no answers to many problems).

So i went to finlandia pharmacy (which is a natropathic pharmacy) and they helped me get on a candida clense (which is a yeast cleanse) This means no yeasts, alcohol, sugar or high calorie foods (like potatoes) for several weeks. I also ate lots of yougort and acidophillus tablets. It took awhile but this made a huge differenece in how i felt in my whole body. Also i started taking boric acid tablets (which my dr recommended for persistant yeast infections) even though i didn't have any obvious signs of yeast infection, just the tearing. I took them for three days (the pharmasist said i could take them for a week or even two) and i felt really acidic and like i had had enough of the boric acid. These tablets increase the acidity of the vagina which clears out the yeast. I also rubbed vitamen e oil on the area at night to help soothe it. And since then i've been cured!

So here's what i think happened: My new boyfriend was actually carrying the yeast in his system (which is actually fairly common although my first two drs acted like i was stupid for even suggesting it). The yeast was in my system causing irritation and yeast infections (even though it wasn't detectable through the testing). Changing my diet and increasing the acid level got rid of the yeast and the vitamen e oil helped heal the skin.

So there is hope. Never give up. My drs didn't help out much but by combining all of the information together i seem to have overcome this situation. I know its hard, but being honest with your partner, family and friends can really help.
I am 12, never had my period yet, but I have had discharge since i was about 9. Recently, the skin around my vagina has been somewhat, VERY sensitive.. I was going to the bathroom and was wiping, and before i know it, my skin around is tearing and bleeding! I wiped again and there are splotches of blood. It wasn't insanely bad bleeding, but it was ENOUGH for me to look it up. I don't know what's going on.. does this mean I'm starting soon? Should I see a doctor? Oh & i HAVE had a yeast infection before, but of course, i am NOT having sex, so i have no idea what's wrong.... I was told the problem was most likely too much sugar intake (when i went to doctor about yeast) ... But recently ive been eating very healthy and not much sugar.. But all the infection was, was my vagina was very very dry, it burned, itched, & etc. HELP :(
hi,
first of all : PROPOLIS, try it, natural and antifungal, antiviral properties::

I was reading through this forum for some answers for cuts in the vulval areas....because I recetly got that and my boyfriend has herpes simplex 2 so we've been cutting out sex for the last few days. We had some propolis at home and decided to try outting this on the affected areas....for me, being the cuts that were very sensitive. It hurt like hell, i mean my whole body shut down for 2 seconds. After reading a lot of posts here, and findinf that no one actually had found too many answers as to the cause for these tears, fissures, etc., I thought I should share the information I have found. both my bf and I did not know that propolis has been used to cure herpes before, we just kind of read the properties on the package and just followed our intuition and tried it. And it just happens to be very effective!!! Completely natural, here is a link with some more info on the properties of this simple liquid bees are providing:

http://www.nlm.nih.gov/medlineplus/druginfo/natural/patient-propolis.html

http://www.**********.***/files/Propolis%20Ointment%20for%20Genital%20Herpes.pdf

Hope this helps!
Dear fellow sufferers,

I read these posts many months ago, in desperation after over 16 months of unrelenting discomfort of the vaginal opening.  And I finally now have been irritation free for over 7 months after finding the answer.  Well, this is the answer for me and perhaps many of you as well.  So please just try it, and forget about all those diagnoses by well meaning but clueless doctors who feel compelled to tell woman something, anything, as an answer to this problem.  Bottom line, after going through 2 different (male) gynecologist who gave me two different answers (vulvar vestibulitis, hormone imbalance, etc) I finally went to a female ob/gyn who then referred me to a dermatologist.  The dermatologist specializes in the vulvar skin (yes, there is such a doctor).  Quite simply he said, you have an allergic reaction, most probably to the lubricant you are using.  The reaction causes all kinds of inflammation that looks like cracks and bumps and white patches, etc.  He told me to use Alboline as a lubricant prior to intercourse.  UNBELIEVABLE.  It worked.  It was such a simple answer, after so much suffering and searching and wild diagnoses.  Please, try it.  You can buy it over the counter at any drugstore.  It was originally used for stage actors to remove makeup.....go figure...this dermatologist says it is by far the best personal lubricant to use because it has
virtually no chemicals like KY and all the others.  I had even ordered "all natural", chemical free, hypo-allergenic lubes that did no good.  Alboline!!  It saved my life and pocketbook.  (it was a very expensive 16 months with all the doctor visits and lab work.  PLEASE TRY IT.  My life, and sex life is now joyful again.  Good luck.
My dog just accidentally erased the book I just wrote so will post my story later but a couple of my favorite things.

After many trials and tribulations:

1. Emu Oil love love love! I get it at Wholefoods. Feels good heals quick and my new favorite lube. Not sticky feels like silk and you can even eat it if you know what I saying.  
    Pure Emu Oil is a deep penetrating, anti-inflammatory, non-irritating, highly moisturizing, all natural nutritional supplement for your skin as well as an ingestible dietary supplement full of Omega 3, 6, 9 and many other bio-nutrients.
    Topical application of emu oil delivers these nutrients deep into the skin to support healthy new cell growth. Emu Oil does not leave the skin
feeling oily or greasy and does not clog pores - it allows the skin to breathe and heal. Burning and itching are instantly soothed. It is hypo-allergenic, giving it a low potential for irritating the skin.
   2.Beta-glucan oral capsules and cream:
Beta-glucan is primarily used to enhance the immune system and to lower cholesterol levels. Research indicates that beta-glucan is very effective at activating white blood cells known as macrophages and neutrophils, both of which provide the immune system's first lines of defense against foreign material in the body. A beta-glucan-activated macrophage or neutrophil can recognize and kill tumor cells, remove cellular debris resulting from oxidative damage, speed up recovery of damaged tissue, and further activate other components of the immune system.
   3.Pure Tea Tree Cream.
From Wholefoods or find online. Antibacterial and Anti-fungal
   4.Neem oil.
Stinks like hell but feels good on new lesions and fissures. Very Anti-fungal and Antibacterial.
   5.Amazing Diet
Great webpage and it only makes since even if its for eczema thats basically what we have in are vaginal areas.
               http://eczema-natural-healing.com/eczema-diet.html
   6.Siberian Ginseng
Helps physical and mental performance, withstand stress and boost immune functioning. Fights fatigue and protects against and helps u recover from illness.
In a laboratory study, a 6-month study of 93 people with herpes simplex virus type 2 (which generally causes genital herpes lesions) found that Siberian ginseng reduced frequency, severity, and duration of outbreaks.
Maintains health and strengthen the system rather than to treat particular disorders.

7. If your immune system is low your symptoms will get worst. Stress will cause your immune system to weaken. So stay Calm. Breathe and be patient as should your partner. Forgot how much fun foreplay is.
   8.I havent tried it but my friend had Botox shots in her vaginal muscles and swears by it. I found someone that will do it cheap so I am on it! Since my mental anguish from so much past pain makes me so tense Im like a brick wall and have muscle spasms.

Risk factors vulvar squamous cell carcinoma (SCC) are human papilloma virus (HPV) and (HSV) infections and lichen sclerosus (LS). So if you have any of the symptoms go get Biopsy because it is known to cause cancer in that area if not taken care of.

I am 38 and in full blown menpause.  The tears didn't start until I began the HRT...it is horrible and painful.

My doctor said that it was occuring because of my excess weight :(  geesh!  Have any of your doctors said anything like that?
I also found what was causing the itching and fissure for me.  I use WIPES after every bowel moving at home.  I switched from playtex to cottonelle about a year ago.  That was the cause of my nightmare for a year.  I stopped using the cottonelle wipes for about a week and the problem stopped.  It has been about 6 weeks now and I stopped having the tears and itch.  I am now using summer's eve without any problems.  I did go to my GYN to test for STD and came back negative.  I am not sexually active and don't take birth control.  I did have a yeast infection which I took medication for but that wasn't the cause of the fissure.  I hope this will help.
hi, i have chemical allergies! I found baby wipes are not safe for me! huggies brand  makes me whacky, generic walmart same thing... no matter sensitive skin or not  my butt was raw and cracking, sitting for long periods of time, and or on a toilet.  body washes  with micro beads no can do...
shower and dry ur  body  with hair dryer.. toilet paper same thing trial and error!
using diaperine with zinc!  happy  trails!
  I’m so sorry for your pain.  Do you wait for the tears to heal before you have sex?  I don’t think using all those creams are good for you skin, especially down there…where it is sensitive…I know that one can’t help it sometimes.  But I just learned that steroids can cause skin thinning…and that could probably make it worse.

That is frustrating…  I’ve heard of skin tears down there, but not similar to your case where it comes back all the time.  
Just some things to make you feel better:  When you pee, pour cool water on your vaginal area so that the urine will not have a chance to sting your tears… rinse with cool water….pat dry, and then air dry completely…apply Vaseline to cuts (I just heard on a different site that Crisco shortening works real well down there…never tried it though)….wear only loose cotton underwear so that you don’t agitate it more.  Sleep without an underware on.  That will at lease help with the comfort level, and help the skin to heal.  Avoid sex if there are any tears, because of course….it will only make the tear worse.  May not be possible in your case since you have tears all the time…but if you do this for a few days, the tears will go away and heal.  Don’t  linger in bed or fall asleep after sex…always rinse well….if you must, use soap that is moisturizing that won’t irritate your skin down there...

You might want to check the pH of your vagina, …the vagina is acidic…if your discharge is really basic, that could be the cause of dryness, and irritation…which does lead to tears, over and over again.
If the tears aren’t as frequent when you’re pregnant…then that has to be the key to help you find out what causes it…maybe less sex during pregnancy?...You said something about it being different when your on birth controls too.  Even though your homone levels are within normal range, the pH of the vagina may not be.  I develop these tears more often when I’m stressed…and I’ve found that the discharge produced at that time is irritating to the skin outside my vagina.

I have this same problem, I feel bad for my boyfriend of 6 years because i can absolutly not have sex.  I have cuts in the corners or my vagina and in my clitoris, also burning and itching in the vagina.  I Do have anal fisures. I have been tested for std's but the only thing that came back was clymidia (that was 5 years ago).  Im thinking it may be because i have been on the birth control pill for 10 years now, maybe hormonal levels.  So frusterated and confused, I want to have kids soon, but am wondering if i can deal with this during. Plase help
Hi all,
I also have vaginal fisssures and can't seem to get rid of them or find out what causes them. To those who have had the herpes blood test, that does not mean you have genital herpes!!!! the test shows all herpes virus' and if you have ever had a cold soar or been exposed to a cold soar it will come back positive. Please stop scaring people!!!! my herpes blood test came back positive because I have cold soars, my herpes swabs have come back negitive. also the very expensive test to tell you if it's hsv1 or 2 does not mean anything either because you can get 1 genitally and 2 orally even tho people don't think you can.My dr assures me that I do not have genital herpes!!! he sees it in 1 in 3 people and it does not look like this!! get tested if you are concerned, I did and I still have anxiety atacks every time people say they were diagnosed with it with these symptoms.please be sure your diagnosis was correct before scaring us all!!PLEASE!
wow sorry that was alot of bad spelling in my last post!!
I've been having vaginal tears, anal irritation and vaginal itching off and on for the last 8 months. I've never had anything like this before then, but it seems to be a semi chronic thing now. My doc said it didn't look like any STDs and that its a common thing connected to yeast/candida. Even though those symptoms are not all present at the same time. I found that following a strict candida diet was totally effective. No sweets at all, even fruit. No coffee of acidic things. Lemon and lime water are alcalizing, which helps. No white flour and no or low wheat. Also nothing yeasty or fermented. I kept this up pretty well for six months, and was really strict for 3. I was hoping by cleansing the candida out of my body I could eventulally go back to my normal wholesome diet. I also took black walnut and wormwood tinctures for 2 months.

Now, I've been eating normally and drinking coffee again for a few months and I got another tear during sex. I also have some general irritation and a bit of itching in my labia anytime I eat anything at all sweat.

I don't have any solutions to offer, but to stop the symptoms, stop drinking coffee and tea and eating sweets. You will heal way faster.
PLEASE HELP!!

I recently (about 2 weeks ago) noticed like very small cuts almost like a papercut near the opening of my vagina. They only appear like 1 or 2 (1 on each side of the vagina) and they go away after a day or two. The skin around there feels kind of dry and has like a white flake to it... It almost looks like dry skin or something, but I don't think thats it.

I am not on any antiobiotics. I haven't had sex in awhile. As far as I know, no one I had sex with had herpes. I am REALLY SCARED because I don't know what these are. Maybe a 3 weeks before they appeared I had some pain while peeing, but that was it and it only lasted for a day or so. I am on an anti-depressant called sertraline. They don't really hurt when I pee, only if I actually scratch the actual cut (or for instance when I wipe, but sometimes that doesn't even hurt the cut). They don't itch or burn or anything otherwise. I do scrub my vagina when I shower, but I have always done that so I don't think that could be the cause of it either.

I am so scared and I feel like I should get tested for an STI, but everyone I have talked to said that what I am describing and how fast it is coming and disappearing doesn't sound like an STI. I currently don't have insurance because I am putting myself through grad school and working 50 hours a week as a nanny so any doctor visits are out of my pocket. Obviously, I am willing to see someone if what I have sounds serious. I have been really stressed lately and I don't know if that could possibly cause them. PLEASE PLEASE help me with some advice! I would really appreciate it soo much!!

Thank you!
So glad I'm not alone in this.
I was not so blessed with larger labia and as a dancer all my childhood I got a lot of tears on my vagina which I put down to doing the splits all the time. In my mid 20s I decided to get my labia trimmed as they were uncomfortable during sex, getting in the way and just plain yuck. SInce having it done I have had no problems at all, not one single tear.
However, I had my first child last year and ever since then it is back!! I have 2 small tears around my anus that will not go away, they don't give me too much trouble but every night inthe shower when the water hits,man does it hurt. I also have 3 or 4 around my labia that also will not go away. WHen my son came out he did a lot of damage, I had at least 16 stitches and my labia was stretched pretty much back to how it was befre I had them trimmed. SO I am thinking that it also has a bit to do with the size of the labia and how they get pulled and tugged on with day to day activities?? I'm currently tryin canestin for yeast infections to try and subside some of the itch as it's flared up since my last sexual encounter. My poor husband, we had a fantastic sex life before having our baby and now with all my vaginal issues (I also got Vaginismus after birth) we hardly have sex at all and when we do it is painful and causes another tear. AArrrgh. I'm at my wits end. Why is there nothing being done to help fix and treat such an obvious problem in womens health??
So I'm not crazy! These cuts are ruining my sex life! And just dealing with them all day is torture. The only thing that helps me is keeping vaginal feminine moisturizer on ALL day, I apply after every trip to the bathroom and before and after sex, the tears haven't gone away completely but it helps from the pain and dryness. If anyone finds out anything I think we should email all the other ladies! laura_marrie***@****
have any of you been told that it could be a semen allergy? I am allergic to latex so my husband & I do not use condoms. I was told by my gynocologist that I have a semen allergy??? I do not remember having the paper cut like tears prior to losing my virginity & I have only been with my husband so she could very well be correct. Although sometimes just wiping after urination or stretching creates the tears. Maybe I have thin skin down there? Has anyone found a correct iagnosis for this issue? Please let me know!!!
It is most likely lichen sclerosus, it should be biopsied by a gyn or dermatologist to be sure.  It can turn into cancer.
ok yall...my vagina really hurts and it's itching me really bad...i need to know what is going on..
hey ladies. I'd feel guilty if i didn't share this.

Here's my story. one night about a month ago i had unprotected sex, and the next morning i was pretty itchy in a particular spot on my labia majora, near my clitoral hood. the next day or so, i noticed a small cluster little pimples in that spot (about 5 of them) and all signs then pointed to herpes. I didn't get tested, because i'm seventeen, in college, and simply can't afford it right now. (don't worry, i'm searching for a clinic that offers student discounts, just haven't got around it with finals here and everything). anyways. a few days later, my labia minora and vulva became extremely itchy, ESPECIALLY my labia, and ESPECIALLY the crease where my labia minora meets my labia majora. I started the monistat treatment, because according to what i read online, it seemed like a yeast infection. This seemed to help at first, and the symptoms became less apparent.

About 4 days into treatment (out of 6), after some pretty vigorous scratching (there were times when i just couldnt handle it!) i noticed there were two cuts, one on the right crease between the labias, this one near the clitoral hood; and one on the left crease, more towards the vulva. they itched like CRAZY. and i immediately started searching the internet for relief.

meanwhile i used the cream that came with the monistat treatment (which didn't work), vagisil (which also didn't work), took some salt baths (which were irritating, burned, and didn't seem to make a difference otherwise), and one day i came across a post in a thread like this one, by a lady that said she applied ZEASORB-AF powder to the cuts, and it made them heal up. she did warn that it would burn like a *****. zeasorb is a treatment for jock itch, which is a fungal infection. it's not sold in many pharmacies, so i never got around to buying it, because i never found it. (you can buy it online)

i did try an antifungal cream, which helped sooth the itch a bit, but did nothing to heal the cuts.

as of about 5 days ago, the cuts became bigger, and there were a few more of them. two tiny ones on my clitoral hood even. I couldn't handle it anymore, so i went to a convenience store and found what i thought would be the closest thing to zeasorb, which was LAMISIL AT CONTINUOUS SPRAY. "effective relief of itching & burning" - for jock itch.

when i sprayed it on the cuts, (the day before yesterday) IT BURNED. oh goodness did it burn. i had to do small parts at a time, first one crease, then the other, then the clitoral hood. and had to wait for the burning to stop between each spray. what a process. but in my opinion, TOTALLY WORTH IT.
the directions say to use it once a day, but i reapplied a couple of times when i felt like i needed to. healing began within half a day. i knew because when i sprayed it again after about 12 hours, there was no burning, because the cut began to close up. it looked almost whitish. i'm guessing, since it worked, that maybe it's some sort of fungal infection?

unfortunately, it began to itch at some point, and i scratched some of them open again. (yesterday evening) so they opened up again. i had to go through the burning torture again. but again, after about 12 hours, the cuts are closed, and when i sprayed it this morning, it didn't burn at all. the key is not to scratch and irritate it, so it wont open up again, and has time to heal properly. I'm working on it. ice packs help with the itching, but other than that, i've been trying to do those kegel excercises, mentioned earlier in this forum. either it's in my head, or those DO help relieve some of the itching.

well, this lamisil is not for the faint of heart, but for those of you willing to do anything at this point, perhaps you should try it.
best of luck to everyone
-A
I am going through all this too... the cuts inside the labia-minora , the small pimples on the labia majora, itching, burning when passing urine, etc. And like I read from what "murregirl" wrote, I've hemorrhoids & stress all along this and also fluctuations in my periods, which could be problems with estrogen levels.
And like "MParis" wrote, one skin specialist had told me there's some infection with my bartholin glands. I remember it now.

So after reading all these mails till date, I think my reasons for getting this cuts might be due to my estrogen levels & my stress factor. I should get the level checked for a precise conclusion. I also noticed that drinking lots of water helped prevent & heal the condition to a great extent. Maybe I should check my diet too.
Come on ladies, lets just deal with this once & for all. I am planning to give this issue some light by asking a friend of mine in the WHO, to do something about this. Hope all of you will back me up, if need be? Thanks.
I have a pretty long story, so I'll try to briefly sum it up.

Back in April I got the depo shot for the first and only time. Everything was good and fine, but I wasn't having any periods. I've never had a normal period to begin with, but it made me nervous not to have them. I asked my doctor to switch me back to the pill. the shot wore off at the same time I started the pill again (with in the same week). That was when things went spiraling down hill.

In late July I began hemorrhaging. I was passing blood clots about half the size of a new born. I had a D&C which made the bleeding stop for a day, and then I was back in the hospital. I had to have 7 blood transfusions to keep me alive. Apparently, the depo shot had caused my hormones to get way out of balance and caused the hemorrhaging. The doctor gave me two choices. 1. try the mirena IUD and hope it works (if it's taken out and I start bleeding again, it's off to option 2) 2. hysterectomy. I'm 21 and don't have any children yet, so that wasn't even an option to me. In fact, the suggestion it's self nearly killed me. I was functioning on less than half the blood my body needed to live and when my doctor suggested it, my heart rate peaked at 300 BPM lying down. So the Mirena it was.

I had my IUD inserted at the beginning of August. Since then I have had a wide variety of problems I hadn't experienced before. I've had crazy spotting and periods (which I've always had, but they should be "normal" now) passing black blood and clots regularly, BV, infections of every kind, strange bumps appearing and disappearing, pain, rashes all over my body, break outs all over my body, and of course the strange fissures along with pimple like things on the outer labia. I've been getting the fissures vaginally and anally. They are starting to get worse. It stings and burns almost all the time. I've been to my doctor more times than I can count this year, each time for a different issue. I've been tested for every STD imaginable and have tested negative for anything every single time. He's told me how badly my hormones are out of balance and it's just going to take some time for my body to get right again. It's been almost 6 months though....

This is really painful and pretty embarrassing. I'm not really sure what I should do. Let it heal by it's self, or go to my doctor...again.
So sorry to find so many "sisters"! Wouldn't wish this on anyone. In my case I am 63, new widow, had chronically ill husband so haven't had sex in "forever." The worst part is that my main activity has always been foxhunting and training horses. (Great combination with the fissures, right!) I assumed my  problem was  rubbing from a seam in my breeches, and when you are out foxhunting for hours it doesn't seem too horrible until you stop galloping!

The last flare up was horrendous. I tried every conceivable cream, but it just escalated from fisures into blisters which seemed to spread! Well I knew it couldn't be STD, so I just kept trying to evaluate. (had not yet found this group) Although the fissures are, as we know, hard to understand, the worsening was clearly bad dermatitis; a reaction to all of the various experimenting with creams! So ladies, be careful experimenting, and maybe just try a new product in one spot. Just a thought.

The whole problem is getting more frequent and worse. I have a list of all of your ideas and will experiment! Clearly being post menopausal means I have dryness and thin skin. I thought this was an aging thing but see that most of you are young. Mine didn't really start until about 60...but that is when my husband started needing full time care so perhaps the stress factor plays in. There is a wonderful product called Crotch Guard for cyclists. It really helps any rubbing. But once things start spiraling down...lubrication doesn't do it! Thanks for sharing your experiences and ideas. Good luck, all!
When you said you took Boric Acid Tablets, did you take them orally?
I just want to help anyone and everyone that has been suffering from the same symptoms as me. First, I just want to let you all know that I had been diagnosed with vulvodynia 12 years ago. It did completely go away just as it suddenly began one day when I was 19 years old. I have been through so much, numerous doctors, specialists, all different kinds of pills, creams, cystoscopy, biopsy, hymenotomy, physical therapy,  and even been to the psychiatric ward for telling people at a hospital that I didn't want to live if I had to live with this pain. I've been through it all. What I really believe is that if you are tested for everything, and nothing comes back positive for a bacteria, or yeast, a virus, STD, or skin condition, please, please, please, consider that it could be your pelvic floor muscles. I am so serious about this because when you go to the doctor and they can't tell you what's wrong with you because no test comes back telling them what is wrong with you, IT"S HELL! and I have suffered so badly that I almost lost all hope  and just wanted to give up, but I didn't, and I kept praying for the day that I would be pain free, and after 6 years of horrible burning pain in the vulva, it was finally gone. So what was it, what made it go away? I really think it had to do with fixing my pelvic floor muscles over a long period of time, and finally healing an anal fissure. I have been pain free since 2003 until now, which would be 7 years now, however, I just had another baby, another episiotomy, another anal fissure, and I just gained a new symptom of intense vulvar itching. At first, I thought it was a yeast infection because, well, itching meant yeast infection for me, but after diflucan didn't work, and repeated times to the doctor testing me for everything with all results coming back negative, and then taking an antibiotic, using a steroid cream, and taking another yeast med Terazol,  inserting Boric Acid suppositories, taking baths in baking soda, and taking probiotics, NOTHING WORKED! I cried so many times, and I finally stopped thinking it was an infection of some sort, and I started to do kegel exercises (100x a day), regular cardio, and leg stretches. The itching had gone away, and I was normal again. It was completely gone until I stopped the kegels, cardio, and stretches, then the anal fissure came back, and the vulvar itching came back, so I thought it was yeast infection again, why?, when I didn't test positive for yeast, and the yeast creams I used last time didn't work, I don't know, but I used Terazol, hoping it was just yeast but it didn't work, so I started to do the kegel excercises again, cardio, and stretching, and it's going away again. I swear this thing has to do with the pelvic floor muscles, and the anal fissure. They have to be linked. I just wanted to share this because alot of women are having these symptoms whether it be burning or itching or both and they put all of these creams and stuff on their skin down there, and it could be doing more damage than good, and I think they should first rule out pelvic floor dysfunction because if you start doing kegels and your symptoms go away, then you can save your very delicate vulvar skin that can be so easily damaged by these prescription, and over the counter creams. If a test comes back positive for something that requires a perscription cream then yes please use what is prescribed to treat it but if you are one on those women who have been to the doctor over and over with negative results for everything, please, look into pelvic floor dysfunction, whether you have or don't have an anal fissure, because you can still have pelvic floor dysfuction without having an anal fissure, and please if you have an anal fissure, please go to the doctor and get the proper treatment to help heal it because that could be causing plevic floor dysfunction, and I'll tell you this from experience, I fought with myself for so long thinking what I had was an infection, a yeast infection, a bacterial infection, a UTI, whatever, because that's what it felt like, AN INFECTION! But it wasn't, it was a combination of an anal fissure that wasn't healing, and the pelvic floor muscles being in spasm all the time, and being too weak, and if I kept using yeast creams, and steroid creams, and things that people say to use on the internet, my vulvar skin might be damaged beyond repair, and I wonder sometimes about these women who develop these pre-cancerous vulvar skin condtions. So I hope and pray that I can help as many women as I can that are suffering from these horrible symptoms, we weren't meant to live life this way. God Bless.
  I am 29 and pregnant and have what the Dr described as the biggest anal fissure he had seen in a long time spanning my perineum, and it's not the only one. I am so pleased to find this forum because I thought for so long I had a fungle infection that kept recurring. I was not sure if I should keep doing my pelvic floor exercises as I was unsure how this would effect my large fissure. It's great to hear advice to keep going as it is important for birth.
I would love to hear how women here went with their births having this condition!
I had previously self pescribed steroidal cream like beta cream but was worried about weakening skin plus had no effect! I also put tea tree oil on my perineum and anus as I thought this would combat the fungle infection but this just REALLY hurt. I was also pescribed an antifungal and steroidal cream by a Dr who misdiagnosed me!
The Dr I saw who finally told me I had fissures told me just to use olive oil on my fissures and stop using toilet paper and soap and to wash with olive oil. So far I think it's going okay but it hasn't been long enough to tell.
One of the most frustrating things apart from the itching and stinging and moistness is the fact that the Dr's never believe when I say it can't be herpies or an std as my husband and I were virgins when we married and are still faithful. The last Dr actually told me not to have kinky sex, (shocking!!) as if!!
Well this forum has helped me so please keep posting your experiences!
I am posting this same e-mail on all of my "watched posts," Because my problem is solved and I want to "pay it forward" one last time before I remove my name from this forum.

There seems to be more than one thing happening. I am writing to those women who: have a reoccurring rip-type fissures on the inside of the labia, between the labia and clitoris, along the natural fold. (Mine was always in the same spot. -Note my earlier posts.) You probably have sensitive skin, you are probably high-stress, you may be more "moist" than you think is "typical." You are in relatively good health-maybe you workout. You have at times thought it was everything from soap to rough sex to a "big" boyfriend. You have ruled out everything, one at a time including Herpies and other VD's with a test from Dr. It may be worse with hormonal changes, (monthly) or cyclically reoccurring or just always there to some degree. I had this same condition. "Chronic Whatever-itis" What ever they call it, it means your skin is inflamed. They are naming the symptoms, not the cause/problem.

I went to a Dr. He prescribed a topical steroid and a antibiotic. I also had a infection, which is common when things are out of balance down there. (yeast infections also can be commonly be present). I took the meds, it got better for a week, then came right back and I didn't return to Dr. for another year-just lived with it. This was the second Dr. I went to over the years for it. I had it 2001-2003, then all of 2008-2010. (You can wait and wait and live frustrated, (like I did), or go back as soon as the symptoms return and get your life back! Be assertive! I asked a lot of questions, gave him a ton of data on all that had "ruled out", that I was a serial monogamist that always used protection with my faithful boyfriends... (Frankly, I think he was bored with all of the talk, b/c they are trained to treat the symptoms with the mildest they think will work.) When I returned, He apologized that he didn't treat it more aggressively, the first time. By then I was crying and defeated thinking I would just have it forever. As he explained paired with my research and my first-hand account, this is what happened: At some time there was a trauma to the area, a scratch, rough touch, or yeast infection that went haywire. The body’s defenses are jumping on that area because it had an issue with that area already. My vaginal balance was way off. When the ph changes, and allows more bacteria/yeast to grow, (naturally through the month), that change/moisture irritated the area, increased discharge or sweat from working out or sitting too long, (little oven) irritated the area, my changing soaps and detergents 1,000 different times trying to solve the issue paired with extra wiping, washing and attention to the area irritated it and, it just never got to totally heal. All of the junk I put on it may have made it worse and the worrying didn't help a bit. He prescribed a "Z-pack" Which is Zithromax 250MG/Generic=Azithromycin=4 pills. He prescribed Flagyl 500MG=Metronidazole=14 pills. He prescribed Clobetasol .05% cream=a topical steroid, which I was going to use if I needed it after the antibiotics, but I didn't (maybe I used it for 2-3 days) - I was worried about the steroid, b/c of the fact that it thins the skin and it seemed counter - production intuitively to me). Anyhow the Antibiotics worked great! My body was able to heal itself after the Antibiotic Napalm Bomb. I have discolored skin from the years of trying to healing, but that too is lightening up and I have ZERO pain. It made me think of the "hard reset" on my computer. You know it's not great to do, but sometimes it must be done when nothing else is working. Also, separately and unsolicited -after seeing what I was prescribed, the Pharmacist volunteered that he had only seen this prescribed this way a couple of other time, but that it was quite effective for aggressively solving issues. By the way, he also said, "Do NOT drink alcohol with the one! Like no ‘wine sauce’ at dinner, no 'just a sip of wine.' No mouthwash- It contains alcohol- unless you want to be violently sick.

I wish you all luck in getting your issue taken care of.

Thank to everyone for all of your posts!
Thank you for all of your comments.  They really helped. I'm so glad that I'm not alone with this problem. I too have had this problem for a couple of years.  I have a few theories... I was on birth control for about 7 years and got off.  When I was on the pill I never had this problem, so I think it could be a hormonal imbalance caused by being on the pill for so long.  

I swim a lot so I thought maybe it was the chlorine drying out my vaginal area.  Or maybe the wet bating suit?

Or it could be that I have hemorrhoids and I notice the problem gets worse after having a difficult BM.

Or it could be the lichen sclerosus like a few of you mentioned.  

I was tested for every STD about a year ago, and I didn't have any STDs.  I am not sexually active.  I'm a cootie freak so I've always used condoms when I was sexually active and this problem started after I hadn't had sex for over a year...so I don't think disease is the problem.  I explained my problem to my Gyno friend and she did suggest herpes but when I told her the size of the fissures she said that the fissures seemed too big to be the kind that herpes causes.

I thought is was caused by a yeast infection but when I had a pap-smear they told me that I didn't have a yeast infection.  I didn't really believe them so I bought some Monistat.  It cleared up for about 2 weeks but now it's back...I'm so confused and annoyed.  

I even thought it could be because I wasn't sexually active and the area needs some exercise :)  I have thought of so many reasons, but can't fix the problem.  I currently don't have health insurance, so I don't have the luxury to go from Dr. to Dr. to try to figure out what is wrong with me...so I turned to the internet for some answers.  

This is what I'm going to do. I'm going to do some Kegel exercises to strengthen my vaginal floor just in case I have spasms. Then I'm going to get some antibiotics to clear up any type of bacterial infection that I may have.  Then I'm going to get some diflucan to clear up any yeast infection.    Then when I get insurance, I'll get a test for the lichen sclerosus, get my hormone levels tested and maybe get a steroid ointment. ??????????????
After reading these posts backwards and forwards and a bunch of research I have found a solution. I have had vaginal tears for awhile now and have just had to live through them healing on their own. I found this forum and have used info from a bunch of different posts. Just recently I was diagnosed with a urinary tract infection and a yeast infection. I was prescribed an antibiotic and a medication to help with the burning while urinating (makes your urine orange!). Just 1 day after that I developed several cuts (above the clitoris, at the bottom of the vaginal opening, etc). I tried Tree Tea & E Antiseptic Cream (which I bought at The Vitamin Shoppe). It INSTANTLY took away the pain and burning from the cuts! Also the Vitamin E in it helped to heal the cuts MUCH faster. I think the combination of the antibiotics and tree tea cream helped the healing process.

My main wish is that doctors will soon figure something out for us women because there seems to be nothing for us! If a man goes to the doctor with a problem for his penis they instantly have the cure for them but when it comes to the vagina doctors become clueless. Go figure?!

Good luck to all!

Sarah
I am sure there may be several reasons why some have this problem, but my story is quite clear about how it happened to me. Long story, but I found out I had Lyme Disease for a very long time and my adrenals were shot and thyroid low among many other symtoms.  Anyway, my Infectious Disease Doc and other Lyme sources cite that the only treatment for this is long term antibiotic treatment, at least 6 to 8 months...possibly even a year or more, depending on the severity of your symptoms.
      I am only into the 3rd month on ABX use and these fissures have begun to appear in the vaginal area and the perineum.  I am on Azithromycin, Minocycline, and Omnicef, and occasionally Flagyl.  So , for me, this problem may not clear up till I'm off the ABX, but I am also on A LOT of Probiotics which I'm sure reduce some of my symptoms from the ABX.  It may help some of you, if you have ever taken ABX in your life, to try lots of probiotics for several months.  I also drink 4 oz. or more of Kefir (cultured), yogurt (quality like Seven Stars Farms), and Jarrow-Dophilus probiotics, and Prescript-Assist probiotics available online.  It's worth a try.  Any cultured or fermented foods would be a bonus.  Also to reduce or totally cut out the carbs to try to establish a better gut flora.  
    Hope this helps someone out there!
I wish I could have found this forum and read what you wrote about vulvodynia many years ago.  My mother was diagnosed with vulvodynia and suffered with it from age 40 until she died at age 84.  We were never able to get any decent answers for her and nothing that any doctor suggested helped her.  She had many doctors, treatments, scans, and several unnecessary operations over those years.  She had no quality of life for the last 8 years of her life and lived on painkillers...which often didn't help either.  If I had read your post maybe we could have helped her.  It really saddens me.  Glad you shared your story though and glad to hear you have found a solution.  Elizabetta 93
Hi everyone, I have had the same problem for 2-3 years now. I am 22 and have lived with my fiance for 3years. I have never been on any birth control. Around the time it started I had been on many anti-biotics for a couple of years as I suffered from many UTIs and kidney infections. I have not had a UTI or kidney infection in over 2yrs. When I first got a tear it was just one on the outside under vaginal opening, it was like a papercut and stings bad when i pee. I first started to put savlon on it then I had my first smear test and while there I asked the nurse advice about it and she said that I should never use savlon in that area and the ONLY way for it to heal is a hot bath with no soap. I believed her and have suffered since. I get them constantly, When one heals another one starts and always comes back in the same place prob 3 or 4 at the most. I have went months without sex and it just doesnt make a difference. I am just so frustrated and upset by this. I have it just now and it does get itchy but I try not to scratch it but sometimes wake up during the night with it. Can anyone tell me what my next step should be? I would be so grateful. We shouldn't have to deal with this!!
Thanks! Debs
PLEASE GO TO THE DOCTOR if it is at all persistent or re-occuring.... You have to interrupt the cycle. Do not wait for insurance! It may cost $100 you ARE worth it. Prioritize yourself! AND NOW!

Demand your Dr. to try what my Dr. finally tried. (and later apologized for no being more aggressive the first times...)

My Dr. prescribed a "Z-pack" Which is Zithromax 250MG/Generic=Azithromycin=4 pills. He prescribed Flagyl 500MG=Metronidazole=14 pills. He prescribed Clobetasol .05% cream=a topical steroid, which I was going to use if I needed it after the antibiotics, but I didn't (maybe I used it for 2-3 days) - I was worried about the steroid, b/c of the fact that it thins the skin and it seemed counter - production intuitively to me). Anyhow the Antibiotics worked great! My body was able to heal itself after the Antibiotic Napalm Bomb. Now I can eat healthier and what ever else I want to try with the problem solved!

I am still totally fine and most people who really have a solution don't return to a site like this to leave specific drugs and detail to the persistent problem they are finally rid of... I worry about people fearing something terrible and not going to dr. or trying everything under-the sun over the counter and irritating the problem... I am 100% better and "normal" as I ever was...

AND IF I had read that message (to go to dr.) earlier, instead of all of the posts that listed some or no success I could've possibly been free of this years ago. AND if it comes back I will go immediately back and demand the exact prescription I listed on my previous posting....

January 19, 2011

I seem to be having the same issue.  I went to two different doctors and they both told me that there was nothing wrong with me down there.  I noticed it started right after i started taking birth control.  I thought i had a yeast infection so i went and got monistat over the counter.  That cleared it up but the soreness was still there. So i went back to the doctor and she gave me a dose of diflucan.  So i went to the second doctor and they said i was fine as well and said i just looked a bit swollen and ran a yeast infection test and that came up clear.  I just really wish this would go away! it puts a damper on my sex life because it is so painful.  There is no bleeding or itching but it does sometimes hurt to pee!
I am 13 years old and I have never had sex or any intimacy down below. Last night it felt like I was tearing but I wasn't sure. So I ggov a mirror and looked. My inner labia on the left side has a cut that looks like someone tried to pierce me with a gage. 20% of the left labia is hugely swollen and red. It is also giving me extreme pain and it throbs.
        I opened my inner labia even more any found a similar cut again. I am currently very sick and always thirsty.  My mother is in the hospital and my father is home. What am I supposed to do? I don't want to go up to my father and ask him to take me to the hospital because I have cuts down there.... please help me.
This is it (subacute atopic dermatitis) FINALLY described for the first time this month. Here is the link    http://www.acep.org/MobileArticle.aspx?parentfeedid=5&feed_id=imn040820111457434233&parentid=742
Best of luck to all you ladies who suffer with this horrible ailment!
I think my symptoms are indentical to yours. pain during sex, but not every time - so when it doesn't hurt I think I'm cured so do it more! Then it comes back again. I get constipated a lot and after I do manage to pass a stool I noticed a hard lump between my vagina and anus, have tried looking this up and anal fissures seem to be the most likely diagnosis. I have been back and forth to the doctor, at first she said use mroe lubricant or more foreplay but the friction of too much foreplay gives me thrush (or something similar) and ubricant also gives me thrush! I can't win! She has recently started taking it a bit more seriously and has tested my hormone levels, sent me for internal scans but the only thing that has come back is that my testosterone levels are slightly higher than normal. Reading this forum is the first time I have linked the anal fissures with the vaginal problems so havent yet mentioned the problem passing stools to my doctor yet - hopefully this will help her find an effective course of treatment
Has your condition improved at all since this post? Good to know I'm not alone - I feel so unsexy and don't want my boyfriend to be put off! We've been together 6 years and never had problems until abou a year ago.