Vaginal and anal tearing/fissures
For the last 6 months I have been getting tearing (look like paper cuts) in my vaginal area (1/4 to 1/2 inch long). I get the tears at least once or twice a week and they last from 2-4 days, go away for a few days and then come back. They continue to occur in the same locations;
1. Inside the vaginal lips on the sides almost always in the crease (between the labia minora and majora?)
2. Between the anus and vaginal opening (perineum)
3. Above the clitoris in the "hood" area.

This tearing is not related to intercourse since my husband and I are unable to do that due to the pain it causes me.  There is no real pain otherwise. I am getting some minor bleeding when I poop due to the tears in the anal area. The entire vaginal area is very itchy and if I scratch or rub the skin at all I often give myself one of these tears.  It seems as if the skin is very thin. There are no other symptoms that I am aware of.

I have had blood work and a biopsy done. Some of the things that I was tested for were; genital herpes, lichen sclerosus, lichen simplex chronicus, lichen planus, vulvar vestibulitis.  All results came back negative. The biopsy tested positive for "healing ulcers". My doctor does not seem to know what the problem is and is contacting a specialist in Lebanon, NH.

My Dr. prescribed an estrogen cream which did not seem to work. I have not been on any other medication for this. I am looking for some guidance as to what this condition may be and how to treat it. My husband & I want to get pregnant soon but I would like to resolve this issue first. Please help.
Hey there ladies, one more thing:

Please, check out this link....notice how it also makes the connection with yeast levels, estrogen (especially for BC-users) levels, cuts on the skin elsewhere and diabetes concerns (both of which I've seen mentioned a bit), problems with infection of cuts near vagina area, and wearing wet clothes (a classic culprit, which I had not mentioned, but I have been doing more lately).

http://www.medhelp.org/Medical-Dictionary/Terms/1/001511.htm

I have already been upping my dose of yogurt and I will begin forcing myself to enjoy cranberry (without added sweeteners) juice.

I read somewhere about applying yogurt directly to the infected area.  Does anyone know about this?  
hey, thank god i'm not the only one, but i have a bit of advice for all of you to try. i'm only 18 and a bit embarrassed to go to the doctor, but the best thing i have found so far is to stay on large doses of a b vitamin complex. i also get these tears in the corners of my mouth, the corners of me eyes... pretty much anywhere the skin is soft and moist. but when i stay on vitamin b pills, i rarely have problems with the tears. if i skip them for a few days, they are back in full and i am miserable. another thing i have found to alleviate the pain when you have them is neosporin lip treatment, like i said, i've never been to the doctor so i don't know if this is good to use or not, but it provides a lot more relief than neosporin or anything else like that along with a cooling sensation, it's meant for cracked lips so i put two and two together and gave it a try in a moment of desperation. if i combine a lrage dose of vitamin b (not any type in particular, just something that has all the b vitamins together) with the lip treatment, they are gone overnight sometimes.

well, i hope this helps all of you, i feel your pain!
For more information about Candida, check out   ---it's great to think that the varying symptoms are just that--varying--but all still symptoms of the same, very real, problem!  

Thanks for the feedback, everyone!
Here's an update on myself: I just came back from the doctor this morning. She took one look at me and said "This is definelty not herpes, it's probably yeast."  I asked if fissures were a symptom of a yeast infection, and she said that yes, it is common. I did in fact test positive for a yeast infection, and she gave me a pill and some topical cream to apply. In additon, I am eating lots of yogurt and am about to go to the store and get some cranberry juice! In answer to your question conlapaz, I do know several people who have applied plain yogurt directly to the area when having a yeast infection.

Nonetheless, this was quite a scare!! I hope everything works out well for the rest of you girls too!

HI guys!
I am new to this,but really glad I found it!
I actually was diagnosed with Herpes in August of 2005.But about a year and a couple months ago I begin getting these cut and tears in the vaginal area.Three doctors have told me they are NOT symptoms from HSV.....I have been prescribed Estrace, Cream for Eczema,steroid cream and just today I was tols it was simply a severe yeast infection. I am thionking it is probaly not,but I guess I will try anything at this point!!
The Estrace cream helped me for about3 months but then my Dr.would not prescribe me anymore (i guess maybe b/c of side effects)???
Has anyone found a solution to this crazyness????!!! I will let youknow if the Yeast infection Rx works.......Can you have cuts and tears from Yeast??!!!
Thanks for your help!!!!
MUST READ
check out this link ladies. I just found it

It explains why and maybe clues us into prevention and treatment
Good luck.

Here it is ladies sorry.
I have this same problem, though "luckily" it's only affecting the clitoral hood area and not my perineum. I just got off the phone with a nurse-midwife and she said that it's a common problem with women who are exclusively breastfeeding because of the lack of estrogen in their systems. So it's a hormone issue. Low estrogen levels, ladies. The link that lil2blunt provided corresponds with everything my nurse-midwife just told me.
Thank goodness for this forum or I would be freaking out still. I'm having the same problem right now too. I've been cleared of herpes and all your other run of the mill STDs. Mine started after wearing tight pants on a hot day. I had swelling that night, but had sex anyway because it wasn't painful. The next day the swelling was worse and I noticed micro tears which itched and burned. I had the tears before after rough sex but they went away after 2-3 days. These haven't gone away. I also noticed that my vaginal discharge has changed from the usual, its now clear and thin and smells like yeast. I have a feeling this is related to the yeast infection. I recently switched birth control pills and I'm on antibiotics, so this is probably the cause of the yeast. I'm trying to use Monistat, but the external cream burns! I just started using Neosporin on the tears, which are above the clitoris, on the perinium, and between the inner and outer labia. It ended the pain and itching. But I want to know what to do from here, I'm going to try a change in diet, start taking vitamins, and try to follow these tips I found:  http://www.colposcopy.com/vulv-sk.html.
http://www.womenshealthmatters.ca/resources/show_res.cfm?ID=42286

Hopefully it works this time.
My doc today doubled my estrogen and gave me estrogen cream.
After one day of it it is already healing.
I will let you all know how it goes
Also here are some other more common signs of low estrogen

Sign and Symptoms of Low Estrogen Levels:
Rapid pulse rate
Bloating
Fatigue that worsens during the day
Constant fatigue, lethargy and fatigue on light exertion.
Short-term memory failure
Poor Memory
Hot flashes
Joint pain, swelling and stiffness
Decreased Sex Drive
Depression
Headaches
Osteoarthritis
Low Back Pain
Dry skin
Vaginal Dryness
Recent unexplained weight gain
                Balding or hair not growing

OMG!! i am so relieved i could cry.. but have done enough of that already!! the stories i have read are me to a T... i have had issues with recurrent yeast infections since i was about 13.. i am now in my 40's.. i feel like i just delivered a 20 lb baby.. the pain is awful.. i am amazed and dumbfounded that no medical professional can figure out a concrete reason or treatment for so many women.. i am wonderinf if anyone else has lessions that are so big the skin looks like it would if a blister had been there.. oodles of small lessions too, but the large ones are really freaking me out.. any ideas?? am on my way to the store now to pick up a and d, triple antiboitic cream and balmex.. surely one of those will allow me to urinate with out feeling like i am going to split in two!! also for what it is worth.. i can not use soft toilet paper.. like charmin.. it feels seems like it leaves fibbers behind that set off a yeast infection every time.. i found angel soft from walmart works the best and dab.. dont wipe!!!!!! :) my doc did say i too am perimenopausal, and this is common due to vaginal dryness that comes hand in hand with that.. that being said, know the cause is not a cure.. so keep writing ladies.. we may be the best source for a solution with each other!!
ps... just thinking.. i am italian, have thalesemia minor?? anyone else?? i know this causes your tissue to not stretch like normal and is an issue when bearing a child.. wondering if anyone else has this issue?? anemic?? comes hand in hand always with being thalesemic/or having the trait i believe...
have your doc give you a blood test to check your estrogen level,

mine just upped my estrogen dosage and gave me vaginal estrogen, I've been using it for 2 days now and my symptoms are almost gone (cuts swelling itching burning)

Especially being premen. this is from lack of estrogen.

Like I said 2 days and it is almost gone.

Also if you start eating a quart of PLAIN yogurt (you can add sugar) a week your yeast infections should slow down alot.  You can also mix plain yogurt with distilled water (half and half) and douch with it. Yogurt has the same natural cleansing bacteria as our vaginas do so it helps restore healthy discharge.

and just one more thing..for a full body nutralizing or cleansing drink a glass of dill pickle juice once a week.after the first time you do this you will be hooked the next day and every one after you will just feel amazing.  The vinagar is a natural nutralizer/cleanser and dill is a natural healing herb.
Just as a warning though do this when you will be home for the night the first time you do it you will get really really thirsty (drink water) the you will probably have cramps and diareha and then you will pee ALOT.  The next day you will be happier and more energetic and just AMAZING.
IT IS WORTH IT BELIEVE ME.
It is a super body toxin remover.

Good luck

i read somewhere that the yogurt douching is actually the worst thing.. that it can make it worse.. so now i am confused.. i know years ago they said yogurt was a good idea...but you know as times change, they seem to know what is bad for us as woman but not so much what will help.. i did buy some balmex.. it helped at first, but now seems to be setting of a yeast infection.. grrrrrrrrrrrrrrrr.. my boyfriend bought me some monostat cool wipes (he felt so bad about this!!) and they help a bit.. so thank you for the input.. i will find out abut estrogen.. am not on anything yet.. but guessing maybe it is time!!  hmmm pickle juice... i will try it!!!! will let you know.. :) have a great day...
Just an update
Day 3 and all fissures are gone ad no burning and very little itching left.
I will keep you all informed but estrogen is DEFINATLY THE ANSWER.
wondering if you have been intimate yet.. wierd question, but now i am deathly afraid to heal and try again.. :( any suggestions for a good lube?? ky is not a good choice for me..  thanks
WOW!  It's such a relief to feel like I'm not alone with this condition.  The first time I felt pain/discomfort when I used the restroom and misdiagnosed myself with a yeast infection.  I made the painful mistake of using the one day treatment for yeast which is really strong and it irritated what I later learned were tears from rough/dry sex.  The reaction became really painful and I ended up going to ER and was told that I most likely had herpes and was put on a anti-viral medication.  I talked with my boy friend about it who was very sure he didn't have herpes and sure enough all std tests came back negative and I had a UTI.  The pain with urination came again with all the same symptoms as before so I went to the doctor again today and this time around I don't have a UTI just a couple tears that are about 2/3 of an inch long.  My doctor told me to avoid wearing pants and wear skirts as much as possible and to use hydro cortisone cream.  I read above that clobetesal propionate also helps which is convenient as I use it already for psoriasis (a skin condition)  Thanks to all who have contributed I feel so relieved after reading other accounts.
Clobetesal is AMAZING!  While I still don't know the origin of these cuts, that ointment has healed them within a matter of days.  I am continuing to use it on the areas even though there are no open wounds which I am hoping will help them from occurring again.

I'd love to know the cause of this problem, but I'm happy now to have treatment.

Intercourse lately has resulted in no new tears.
No, no intercourse yet my husband is a truck driver.
BUT with all the extra estrogen and him being home this weekend and my being all healed up I will definatly let you know by Monday. HAHAHA
Try AstroGlide for lube but if you are healed up and it has been as long for you as it has me you may not need it.
Also if you are using estrogen cream as I am it is much faster to work if you use it on the outside rather than the inside.put it a little thicker where the cuts are.  Estrogen is what promotes new skin cell growth in women.
Good luck all.