Vaginal itching

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal itching

Im 25 and a really scared to go to the doctor about this. Infact I havent told anyone about this. I have itching on my vagina almost every night..i dont get it during the day or evenings- just at night when im sleeping.  This has been on for some years (possibly 3-5 yrs). I'm not sexually active at all. Can you please let me know what is going on? I'm seriously very scared and loosing sleep over this. I used Vagisil cream the other day and it helped. I'm aware that I have to use it for a while for it to show it's effect. But the next day when I didnt use it, the itching came back. I do have vaginal discharge but I've read on the internet that it's normal...my vagina isnt sore or red because of the scratching.
Please advise
hi,
I am 26 myself, and ive been sexually active only twice in my life. I have the same problem as you have and ive been to the doctor.She checked me out and referred me to a gyn to check if the discharge is normal or not. So it is the best to go to the doctor.When it comes to the vaginal itching or dicharges i get very worried and go to the doctor becuase i do not want to feel guilty later on. It is easy, just a swab and you know what is wrong, take the medicine and you are healthy. Why to suffer?
Hi Seula,

thanks a lot for your comments :) Just a question- did you have it for as long as i did- abt 3-5 years? I dont have any burnign sensation- just itching and only at night.
Ive been suffering for 1 year. and now after the treatment 3 months after the treatment, ive itching as u do, at night and at daytime aswell, get very irritated, been to the doctor she said the discharge is ok, so i dont know maybe ....maybe ...dont know, they say im ok, but mid cycle i get irritated, itching and burning. I hope i dont have bv, as the general practitioner and the gyn said im ok, however i itch or burn sometimes or get irritated.
good luck
I wonder if it might have something to do with your underwear or maybe the "stay fresh" kind of pads women tend to use.  You haven't said anything about using them, but if you are because of the discharge, you might be allergic.  Also, if your underwear is of a certain type (cotton vs. polyester) you could be just sensitive to the material, allergic to it, or even senstive to the laundry detergent used on them.  It might not be as noticeable on the rest of your body, but that area is very sensitive compared to most of our other parts.  

Make a running list of ALL your symptoms and make an appt with a GYN.  S/he should be able to figure it and, if not, send you in the right direction.  

Good luck!
I had this itch for about 15 years.  My left labia majora was all enlarged and extremely itchy and painful.  I tried a couple different doctors and all kinds of herbal self help stuff with 0% difference.  Mine seems to get worse with my period.  I did a lot of research on it and it is amazing how many women suffer from this.  I finally found a forum where one women found the problem and was cured.  So I took all this information in to a gyno.  They did a biopsy of the area and it came up as hypertrophic squamous mucosa with mild hyper parakeratosis.  That's a mouth full.  I reserched it under this name and found nothing so fa,r unless I researched each word.  The gyno told me that it was the same thing as squamous cell hyperplasia, which I found easily.  She gave me a strong steroid ointment to heal it and a numbing ointment to releave the itch.  She also gave me an antihistimine stonger then benadryl to take orally at night.  I have been using them know for 1 1/2 weeks.  My labia has almost returned to it's original size and the itch is just barely there at night.  My suggestion is to call around and find a gyno who is familiar with this term befor you see them.  I sincerely hope you find the answer.
I'm 17 I am Sexually active But I have Not Had Sex Since The 4th  An I started To Itch in The Vagina 2 Weeks Later But Its No Burning Or Discharge Juss A Itch that Comes An Goes Please Tell Me What it Is.