Vaginal odor, After hysterectomy

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Vaginal odor, After hysterectomy

Hello everyone, I had a partial hysterectomy about 8 years ago. I noticed everytime I have sex with my boyfriend, my vagina smells different. I douche and I take warm baths. I douche maybe once or twice a month. I am wondering if I am having this odor because I don't have a menustration anymore. Before I had the partial hysterctomy I never had a problem with having a vaginal odor. I went to the doctor my pap test are fine. Do I need to douche more? Please Help! Thank You!
Sorry to hear that you had to have a hysterectomy. I would say:
Number one: quit that douching, will ya? This by itself can change the "good" vaginal bacteria into something that is out of balance and can cause different odors. It is a vicious cycle. Number two: I did once overhear an old man saying that women smell different after they stop having periods, even though I am pretty sure that would have to be linked to the uterus that is not shedding it`s lining anymore. So we can exclude number two. And it sounds like your doctor has checked for any infections. Number three: maybe your boyfriedn needs to get checked. Sorry, very vague advice. Good luck.
Yes, I have always been told by my gyno never to douche--it is very bad for your system--takes out allt he good bacteria that does fight off different things and leaves you with nothing so then the bad bacteria takes over.
hello
i was looking this up to find out more about me, and i came across your question.  i had a partical hysto about 6yrs ago i am 41 and i have a foul oder too!!!  i have been with the same man for years so it is not that.  i dont douch, so it is not that.  i am very clean and buy new underware often.  so i am puzzeled myself... i think that it has to do with the hyst.  what else could it be.. it smells like "old lady" sorry no offense to anyone..
im happy to hear its not just me..i had a hysterectomy at 28. i was embarrased by the fact that i sometimes think i smell so freaking bad, but to hear others are experiencing the same issues makes me feel better. they say no douching but if your periods cleaned out your uterus and vagina. what cleans out your vagina know? i am clean & aware of my body yet i feel like nothing i do makes a difference the odor still remains. does this mean that stuff just sits in there??? i dont know embarassing questions ...need answers too!!
I wonder sometimes its because of no period anymore..
I need answers too..sometimes I think men doctors cant explain it
Did u notice men dont smell it
I have exactly the same situation you described here two years ago.  I used to smell sweet, now the odor can be foul.  I genuinely believe that our periods literally cleared out the sperm of our partners (and sperm smells foul after a day) so without a period, there is nothing cleaning us out.  The sperm does just sit there.  I'm going to try douching, but I'm worried about that too.
I had a complete hysterectomy when I was 28 yrs old. Within two years, I noticed a foul smell as well. After several test, it was determinded that I had no infections or STD's. It got so bad that I was embarrassed to even have sex with my husband. I tried medicated douches, herbal douches, and regular douches. About ten years ago, while waiting to get my harmone replacement precription filled I walked over to the feminine products and ended up buying Monistat 7.

I found that by using the Monistat 7 (NOT the one or 3 day treatments ... they did not work!) once a month and avoiding sexual activity during the seven days, that I no longer have the problem. My doctor told me that since I told him about how great it worked for me, that now he recommends it for other women experiencing the same problem.

I've used it once a month religiously since then and have not had only gotten rid of the odor, but my sex drive has increased ten fold.

Hope this helps you ladies too :)  
BTW ... I'm 54 years old now and STILL use it!!!
I had the Novasure procedure May 18, 2012 and prior to having it I asked a lot of questions and visited many websites that pertained to the procedure.  It will be exactly 2 weeks tomorrow since the procedure and I am still having the slight yellowish and sometimes bloody discharge.  I did experience the excruciating pain and fever days after the procedure and at times the pain still exist.  I called the docor a few days after the procedure to complain about my the pain and the high fever and they called out a bacterial medication to treat an infection.  It seems the pay is worse during the night than in the day.  I thought by now at least the discharge would have subsided but it hasn't.  I will be giving my doctor a call today to do the post appointment.  I just hope I am told that I am healing okay and that this pain and the discharge will subside.  I am so against having a full hysterectomy and just hope that I won't have any regrets about having the Novasure procedure.
I am 42 and had a total hyster on 11/20/12. My gyno had suggested Novasure due to my heavy/long periods. However, we decided to skip the Nova and had the hyster because results of my sonogram showed numerous fibroid tumors and a cyst on one of my ovaries (other vary blocked by tumor).  I was looking forward to the hyster as I dont plan to have more kids, and my periods left me totally worn out, dizzy and fatigued.  Additionally, I learned that I was a severe anemic (lack of iron/red blood cells) and ended up in the ER for a blood transfusion before my hyster. I had another transfusion 2 days after surgery [before I was discharged]. I am 5wks post-op and also have that weird odor that everyone has mentioned. I still have a beige (no blood) discharge which my doc says is quite normal as I am still healing inside. Other than the odor,  and a short bout with constipation, my recovery has been uneventful. I have cherished this time out of work as my boyfriend and family are spoiling me rotten. I will talk w/my gyno more on 2/03/13 prior to returning to work on 2/07/13. In the meantime, I find that many of my questions can be answered at the website www.hystersisters.com.  I wish all a happy, restful recovery. Add to your favorites:  www.hystersisters.com
I had a partial hysterectomy a little over 3 weeks ago. I too have noticed a foul Odor. I go back to my doctor on the 25th. I was using Boric Acid Suppositories for the Vagina before the surgery. Last resort, but it works. I will probably start using them again when I get the ok from my doc. I hope this was helpful.
What about oral sex after using monistate 7  please help

I am definitely going to try this out. I had a partial hysterectomy about a 2 years ago and I'm only 24. This smell is driving me insane and its very embarrasing, so I hope this works for me too.
I had a partial hysterectomy on my birthday one year ago and thought it was the best present ever until I too started having problems with a foul odor, I find it very embarrassing and bless my husbands heart he says it doesn't bother him. He has helped me try to research it. We found an artical that read that if you mix 1tbs of baking soda with a glass of water and drink it every day will cure vaginal odor so I'm going to give it a try. If it works I  will post on here again if it doesn't then I guess I will try the Monistat every month dealeo ....good luck to everyone...
Thank you so much for sharing your experience and what has helped for you. I really thought it was just me and be feeling so ashamed. I'm like I know I keep myself clean but what the heck I'm like I'm not suppose to smell like this whats wrong with me. I so appreciate your sharing and everyone else to. God bless.
had a Partial Hysterectomy in December 2012 and the Vaginal odor is unbearable. I havn't been sexually active for months and ladies, forgive my vulgar description, but the odor smells like a rotting carcass! No infections found. It's gotten so bad that I went back to using tampons to "cork" up the odor! I do not douche, I use unscented or mild soaps and Nothing, I mean NOTHING has helped. Had I known this was going to happen, I would have kept my Fibroid covered Uterus!
Did drinking the baking soda help?
Whewwwww I'm so glad I wasn't the only person experiencing this.I thought since I had my Hysterectomy something was wrong.I too have gone to Dr on SEVERAL OCCASIONS..lol..I even thought crazy like myHubby was cheating..I didn't know what was going on but I didn't like that SOUR SMELL..I found that Norforms work and fresh liners WORK also sleeping with no UNDIES ladies..The overnite air works miracles.U wake up feeling fresh as ever...Good luck Ladies!!!
I have used Monistat 7 for many years, even before my partial hysterectomy a year ago. It definately helps with the "rotting" odor I've experienced after the hysterectomy & intercourse. I have a lot of pain with deep penetration during intercourse. This caused problems and my engagement ended with fiance. Any suggestions on how to help with less pain on my cervix during intercourse? I've coonsidered inserting lidocaine jelly but I'm concerned about an infection or a bad taste ( or mouth/tongue numbness ). Any suggestions. I'm heart broken.
I am going to try this using monistsat 7 while my hubby is away @ work will help us both. Thanks so much 4 sharing
too have had a total hysterectomy and suffered an odor problem. I have no infection and I bath daily and wear clean undies and clothes. I figured it out. I am losing just little drips and drops of urine throughout the day. I am not "peeing" my pants and sometimes you don't even realize you are losing a little urine. The crotch of my panties were damp and I was occasionally conscious of a few drops coming out. I started wearing a Poise Liner (and changing it a couple times a day) and Viola! My problem is over.
I just had a partial hysterectomy about four weeks ago and I'm experiencing a very foul odor.  I'm still having a little bit of a bloody discharge, which they say can happen after hysterectomies, but the odor is to die for...literally.  I can't take it any more.  I'm hoping it's just the discharge and once that is completely gone then so will this odor.  I'm sad to hear that you guys are still experiencing the odor YEARS after your surgery.  That makes me sad.  I'm still in the timeframe of "no sex for six-eight weeks" so I can't say it happens after sex.  I'm not married or dating anyone right now, thank goodness but I can not endure this smell.  To me, it smells like old blood.  That's the only way I can describe it.  Horrible!  I'm going to wait until my 6-week appointment with my doctor and mention it to him, but I really, really hope it's stopped by then.
I had a hysterectomy 4 years ago and I have also been with the same man since then and have been checked for everything. And douching was out of the question. Also I thought about trying the monistat but it is costly each month and I hate the stuff coming out all day. Sorry to be so graphic but the subject just is anyways. Was talking with my husband about it and he agrees  that is because I don't have periods anymore and his sperm has no way of coming completely out of me since I have no period, plus all the other bacteria that is in there. The normal bath does not work because the water does not go up in there. We had talked about finding something to just squirt water up in there while taking a shower which was hard. Now this might sound gross but it worked for me.  My mom has a big bath  and I go visit every other weekend. So I started taking a hot bath with some clear soft soap and while I was in there I used my hand and swished water up in there. U might have to suck in. And the I would push it out. And you need to be able to feel it to know it went in.  I do that several times. It works because that is the only time I would do it cause are bath is small.. My husband started noticing and said I smelt good after I would come back. So I am going to start trying to do it several times a week. Sorry this is so graphic and it might be gross but I will do anything to keep from smelling that foul odor. And you can always rinse off in the showe afterwards. I hope this will help you, cause I know how all of you feel.
Hi ladies. I'm 47. I used a reusable douche kit for 27 years now. I need it for after intercourse because my hubby’s sperm irritates me (burns and itches) It happens to a lot of women. My doc said it was ok with only water. Have never had problems with that (no infections etc...) Also before having intercourse i wash the outside of my vagina with spectro gel (the non scented one) I keep it on for 30 sec then i rinse it off. (i do this after the dove soap job!) It takes all the odor away so it's not embarrassing to have sex (especially oral sex) Also I wear a light poise pad because my plumbing leeks a bit, this started about 10 years ago! If you have a urine problem, it is better to use a pad for that and not for menstruation because it is specialy design to illimate urine odor. I had a complete hysterectomy feb 14, 2014. Very happy about the results, no more menstrual pain etc... I'm 4 weeks recovery and yeah had the brown,yellow,beige discharge arg! But it is slowly stopping. Not going to try the douche for a least an other 1,2 weeks. Hope this helped!
I am 42 years old, had a hysterectomy December 2013. Since then, I have had abdominal pain, it's painful during sex; feels like the top of my vagina  is sealed up or closed at the top.  I am very much OCD, therefore I don't use or do anything that I think May cause me an infection; like putting chemical in my baths, douching, or using scented soaps and/ or body washes. I wash before and after sex and still have a foul odor and it's embarrassing to me.  I believe it's bacteria infections but don't know how, I am extremely  a cleaned person and washes twice a day. I have been to the doctor several times and he continue to prescribe a cream for me but I'm sick and tired of using creams when I'm doing everything to prevent these issues. Thanks for sharing
This I am going to try, did your doctor say anything about side effects or if you do not wait the 7 days for sex with husband?
Glad you did not marry a man that would leave you when you are having problems. Try lubricant and see your gynecologist to see if she needs to perscribe a cream (hormone) for your vaginal area. A person I know did this and it was a success, please check with gyne first!
Ok I had my partial hysterectomy in March 2013 and noticed a very weird smell like burnt hair or flesh and was worse with sex I would Wear a pad every day then my mom she's 60 told me about vinegar douche I tried it once it worked the smell was gone so now I use of vinegar and water douche now I have no more smell I hope this helps
I'm 38 the doctor dint even give me a choice, if I had to get a full hysterectomy, I was very young I was 21 in June of 97, I had mine, over the years I never had problems, till a few years back, if I'm really attracted to that person, I start off having sex dry, then I noticed I would wet my fingers and rub my g spot, then I would begin to relax, sometimes I would get super wet, but it fill like I peed on myself, and my BF would say did u per on me, I would have to explain know I didn't, but truly know the feeling really do feel if u pissed on yourself, I never new of taken any hormone medicine, I never used hormone medicine till last year, I'm 38 now, my reason I started hurting really bad trying to have sex, then it got to were I hurt so bad down below, when my BF ask for sex, I just made a excuse why I didn't want sex, then it got so bad for me, I could not stand to wipe my kitty with tissue, or use a wash cloth, then different soaps would make my kitty hurt bad to, then it got the point where I could just be laying down resting or walking, then I would get really sharp on and off throbbing pain, that would last for 10 seconds, sometimes threw out the day are week. I kept my family doctor everything she check me for came back good, so she just gave me some cream to insert 3 times a week. I use to use that cream for years but it wasn't helping, so my doctor sent me to a GYN , I went she check me, I cried like a new born screaming, because I could not stand the touch, with in the past 4 years my sex life went from good, to having sex once a week, 2 times out of a month, till 0, to hurting not wanting sex, and going with out sex 1 year straight, so after I went to this GYN doctor she gave me  some Vagifem Estradiol Vaginal Tablets 10mcg I insert 2 a week, I take Estradiol by mouth 1 time a day 1mg. After taken the medicine, I've gave myself 4 months before I tried to have sex in June 2014, I had to coach my BF  on how to do my body, I use some KY, I asked him to easy it in, I was tender and a little sore, I could not feel that on the outside, because the outside feeling went a way, that's why I felt like I was well. When couldn't stand 1 stroke, I begin to handle 4 or 6 stroke, so I made my BF wait a few more weeks, July 2014 came we tried again, now I'm having sex at least 3 to 4 times a week, but my kitty can't handle any hard stroking, my wall I go back to hurting, get sore tender my wall when I wipe have light blood. So now I have to use the KY and make love if I want sex. I just allowed my BF to have oral sex with me over 4 years. So since I been taking the medicine, I'm able to let him go little longer down below, but my kitty is still tender. So I'm not able to handle that much as I would like. So thanks to the  doctor, I almost gave up on life and ended my relationship. I'm still praying I get back 100%, Now I'm getting my sex life back day by day. I hope what I have been threw and going threw help u.                                                                                                                Can someone out there answer, I have a question about hysterectomy why when u climax it be a lot, of it to were I have to change my sheets, I hate that pee feeling, thanks for listening...
I'm 60 and had a complete hyst 6 weeks ago. I have not had a period in over 10 years because of menopause and NEVER had any odor until now.  I've resumed sex with my husband and I can not stand the odor. I'msure it has something to do with the hysterectomy. I am perplexed and have not talked with my doctor yet about this.