Vaginal scan
. I just went to a gynae. He did a vaginal scan and said I didn't ovulate and my lining was thick 12mm and had no corpus luteum. But he said my left follicle looked like it was going to burst soon. Does this mean that my body cannot sustain a pregnancy as no corpus luteum = no progesterone production? I need someone to explain laymen terms thank you!
How are you? According to your scan at that time, there was no ovulation and corpus luteum was absent.  While the corpus luteum is essential for establishing and maintaining pregnancy, this is a temporary endocrine structure that is usually involved in the production of  progesterone needed in pregnancy. So, if the egg is not fertilized, the corpus luteum decays and degenerates into a mass of fibrous scar tissue expelled during menstruation. On the other hand, when the egg is fertilized and implantation occurs, corpus luteum continues to secrete  progesterone, maintaining the thick lining  of the uterus and providing an area rich in blood vessels where the baby can develop.  While this is the function of corpus luteum, additional information such as your medical history and symptoms present will help determine if your body can sustain pregnancy or not and to determine why there was no ovulation present at that time.  It is best that you discuss the results with your doctor for proper evaluation. Take care and do keep us posted.