Vaginal tears
Does anyone experience vaginal tears from just peeing, going to the bathroom, wiping yourself, or from sex?  

This happens frequently to me and it is very painful - I have gone to the doctor but all they give me is some ointment that does not help (steriod ointment).
steroid ointment not only would not help, but, by thinning the skin if used for prolonged periods, could make it worse. If you haven't seen a gynecologist, you ought to.
I have the same problem. It feels like someone gave you a million papercuts down there. It happens after sex alot. Hurts to wipe. Do you also get a lot of yeast infections-like occurrances? I have an appointment with a NEW GYN on the 27th so hopefully I'll finally get an answer. In the mean time Desitin(diaper rash cream) works for coating the problem area. Good enough for my baby is good enough for me.
I'm glad I'm not the only one who gets these.  I went to the gyno and she thought it was herpes!  Which, the test came back negative, so it wasn't that.  And I hate having to use the bathroom because if urine runs over the tear, it hurts!! It's also painful to wipe.  And yes, in response to your question, I do get yeast-like infections as well.  I didn't know what to try, I never thought of something like Desitin.  If anyone gets an answer from the doc, let me know!  I'm going to try to schedule another appointment this week to see if she can help me out.
can anyone help me. Lately when I have sex with my husband. I have started to bleed. And it is tearing our relationship apart. could I have a problem. I cant get into see my OB until later in the month..Could I have a tear?
i cant answer whether or not you are tearing in the vaginal area. where is the blood coming from? on the outside, or from inside? if he's being really rough and you are "small" that may cause a little blood. however, if its a lot and often, you should see a dr.
i've been having this problem too!!tearing,bleeding and just alot of irritation down there and the doc told me the same thing that he thought it was herpes but then he said he didn't think it was so i go tomorrow for a biopsy!!!!!how painful!!!i've had a ten pound child and told him that i shouldn't be tearing like this and there is no way it could be herpes cause i've been with the same person for several years and if it was that he would have something wrong with his privates but he's just fine!!!i let you all know tomorrow what he says!!!!              lois
im experiencing the same thing. Although.. i havent had sex. Im quite young and i dont know what im suposed to do. I need help. I wear bathing suits alot since i am a lifeguard and may have a yeast infection. Is there anyone i can talk to??
I am so glad I found this forum.  I too have recently started experienceing tearing after sex. At first the tears were minor and I got over them in about a day. Now, I have experienced more, the doc thought it was herpes (its not) and I'm looking for a new solution!  If anyone finds out how to quicken the healing process...please let me know!
I recently got one of these tears and its incredibly painful. Not even sure what it came from.

Through trial and error I have found that pain medication (advil or tylenol with codiene) helps, sitting on a pillow helps, using a menstral pad helps and using a squirt bottle, like a water bottle with a sports cup, while you are urinating relieves the sting.  The gyn told me it takes about a week to heal. Any other suggestions would be most appreciated...
Its good to know that I
I just read over a few more comment strings and thought it might be helpful to post my history as well.
Gain detergent
Ortho Evera birth control
I do have a history of exema and alergies
no pets
and I live in a fairly dry climate
As I mentioned before my Dr. did test me for herpes and my results came back negative.
I wear thongs, or at least I did before this problem.
No real history with yeast infections or any other infections... in fact I've never even had chicken pox.
I hope this helps someone. I'm being referred to an OBG this week and after reading so many comments on the ointments I'll be sure to say "No thanks" if it comes up.
Thank God I am not the only one!!! Unlike most of you I have herpes, but the tearing is not like a herpes sore. My boyfriend uses alot of chemicals at work and even if he washs his hand I think that the chemicals really effect me when he touches me. I get yeast infections all the time. Between the tears and the infections I have little to no sex life. I also have lots of discharge. I have been to the gyno and had ever test possible done twice. I have found no relief. I am glad I am not the only one but I am so sorry we all have to deal with this.
like most in this forum, i too experience very painful tears in the vaginal area. i have noticed that it usually occurs about a week before i get my period. i get tested every year for stds, and have come up negtive every time. i have been living with this problem for about 2 years. if anyone has any answers please respond to this forum.
Thank goodness I found this forum.  I've been experiencing a burning , like little paper cuts, in my vagina for 5 years and could not find any reason for it even after consulting many doctors.  I must also have vaginal tears!  I have also noticed that the pain usually starts a week before my period.  
I've been with the same boyfriend for 8 yrs,
am taking Alesse birth control,
live in a damp climate,
don't have herpes,
This has really effected my life.  I take several days off work because i can't bear sitting through the day with the pain and my sex life has also suffered since I'm afraid to have sex in fear that it will cause the pain to come back. I've been too embarressed to talk to anyone about it openly before.
Z.Z
This doesn't have much to do with tears, but I do have a question and I'm wondering if anyone else knows the answer. A few days ago I was in a wedding and for the rehersal I wore a thong (I was wearing white pants). Well the thong was too small, and I wore it throughout the next morning while getting my hair done and everything as well... I changed into a different thong for the actual wedding, one that fit and by the end of the night when I went home and got back into regular panties, it hurt. I'm pretty young (21) so I asked my mom and she said it's probably a rash that developed from wearing a thong that's too small.... has anyone ever expereienced something like this? and does it go away just over time??
hey..this is my first post ive been looking for some help, im 16, and have been with a boy i truly love for almost a year now, and he treats me like an angel, and he didnt pressure me into sex or ne thing like that, but i decided i wanted to. Well we have had sex maybe a dozen times, and i started noticing pain, during sex and when i wiped...well i used a  mirror and saw that a piece of my skin down there was partially ripped off...is this considered a tear? what should i do? im really not comfortable going to a doctor....someone please help me. My boyfriend and i have decided to stop until everything is healed, so i guess thats a start...but i still wanna know what to do.
Hi Girls,
I also share your problem. I was also sent to gyno, did herpes test, came back negative, blah blah blah. I'm so frustrated! I did notice that one girl said that she was on Alesse Birth Control, as am I? Is anyone else out of curiousity? I usually tear after sex or a bowl movement. Does anyone else share these symptoms. Thanks - Madison
wow.  same problem here.  tearing from sex and whatnot.  iritaions occur a lot.  seems like there's a problem we have that the doctors don't know the answer to.  i'm going to try and continue to research about this on the net.  it's really hard to do things when you have this contantly bothering you.  stupid women problems we get.  i was starting to wonder if i did infact have an std/i or something (unlikely) but this makes me more hopeful that it's infact something else.
In June a thread ran on vaginal and anal tearing/fissures. I read everyone's comments. I have been suffering from vaginal tears/slices above the clitoris in the folds for years. They would last 4 days, barely heal, and then another one. I was desperate! One comment was hydrocortisone cream. I had some on hand. I tried it. It worked. It doesn't cure it, it will still come back, but it actually closes overnight. A miracle to me. I only use it now when it feels or looks like a split is coming, and it goes away. Someone said since the hydrocortisone cream was helping, that it must be some kind of bacteria. I don't know, but saves your suffering. TRY IT! I don't believe mine had anything to do with lichen sclerosus, vulvar vestibulitis and all of the other ones, which scares you to death. PS The doctor doesn't know either.
just so everyone knows, there is a similar thread with the subject "vagina fissures" that has comments on similar problems.
hello everyone...i just found this website, and i too am comforted to hear that other women are having this issue.

this is a new problem for me.  i am ripping near my vaginal opening and on the outsides of my labia.  i have been putting neosporin on it, but i believe that that has led to a yeast infection, so a friend recommended desitin...i am trying it tonight.  i think what my problem is (an maybe this should be a consideration for some of you) is that i am not lubricated enough before intercourse.  i just had a check up with my obgyn, and this is what she thought.  she said i may not be lubricated enough on the outside, and to try ky jelly. when i think about it--i believe this is the case.  hope this helps.
Hi all -
Wanted to post my current solution to this problem.  I've been dealing with this for a couple years, I get tears during sex.  We've tried extra lubrication etc, but he haven't really figured out what the culprit is.  It doesn't happen everytime, and sometimes it's worse than others.  I know how frustrating it is.  It makes me hesitant to even have sex, and when we do I feel anxious about it happening.  A few months ago as I was thinking about this I thought that perhaps this has something to do with skin elasticity.  Therefore, I've started a new nightly regiment constiting of gentle massage in the area after showering.  I started using a cream made for pregnant bellies and for massaging the area and tissues around the vaginal opening.  Obviously this is for helping with the stretching during birth.  This seems like something which would possible help our problem as well.  I'm using a salve I bought at a natural health store, which has comfrey, calendula and a mixture of oils (olive, coconut).  The combination of herbs is known for their synergistic effects of relaxing, nourishing and rebuilding skin tissue and collegen strands as well as maintaining elasticity.  Sometimes I also rub in some Vit E oil from a capsule.  You could also use just Olive oil.  So far I've had pretty good results, and the mental aspect of doing something as opposed to just being frustrated has helped immensly.  Hope this helps someone as well.
It is such a relief that others share this problem.  I had a single fissure that will not go away.  Well, it comes and goes.  I have never had a yeast infection and I when i first had it I was in my first sexual-committed relationship with someone else who had never slept with anyone, so Herpes was out of the question.  It is on the perenium.  I think that it was two kids who were over zealous that started the tear and now I cannot get rid of it.  Any suggestions.

D
Hi everyone!
I am having similar problems to all of you, but mine is a little bit different than most of you. Except for 1 time, in which it was very small and went away in a day, I have never had vaginal cuts, tears, etc. About 2 weeks after that 1 time, a day after my period ended, my boyfriend was going down on me, using a lot of finger penetration. It felt great, as always, I mean, it hurt a little bit but kind of in a good, normal way, which I experience every time he uses finger penetration. Well, we had to stop quite abruptly b/c some of my family members came into the house, and then we realized that there was blood all over his hands and lower face. I looked at the part of the bed where I was laying and it was there too. Neither of us noticed any bleeding until right then. After this huge scare, I later examined the outside of my vagina and I found 2 of these cuts/tears/rips. One was quite large and didnt appear to be open anymore (this was several hours after the incident), and the other was a little bit further inside of me and started to bleed once I tried to touch it a little bit, and as another girl commented, part of the skin was almost torn-off. This second bleeding that day barely even spotted an extremely small panty-liner. The blood from before was like a nosebleed -- all of a sudden there was a lot and it was everywhere and within half an hour it was gone. But it was the same kind of blood -- bright red. NOT period blood. My vagina doesnt really seem to hurt but it's a little tender and when I wipe, the toilet paper has a very faded pink color on it. There is no doubt that the blood was from these tears, but I just dont understand how I could've been bleeding and tearing as he was going down on me without feeling in pain or uncomfortable.
Has anyone else experienced this? I'm kind of young and I understand that these sort of things happen, but I want to make sure I'm doing everything I need to do. I also have an app. in 2 days to have my vagina looked at and tested for STI's, just incase this is NOT from those tears.
I hope everyone is getting the help with these problems that they need!

I swear, I had NO idea what these were!  I had sex with my current boyfriend for the first time and two days later, I had a bunch of little paper-cut-looking things on my vagina.  I freaked out and went to the doctor, was tested for herpes and I was negative.  But really, it's been 3 1/2 months and I still have ONE left.  The gyno said that people with fair skin tend to get tears more than others...it's so incredibly frustrating!  She prescribed me some steroid cream which i used once or twice, but it didn't really help.  I'm so glad I'm not the only one!
I have been dealing with painful sexual intercourse since giving birth to my son 20 years ago! It was a vaginal delivery involving an extensive episiotomy. I beleive the resulting scar tissue lacks elasticity causing the skin to tear at the vaginal opening upon penetration. I have tried different brands of lubrication--no help at all, premarin cream--also no help and I subjected myself to chemical cauterization to burn away the scar tissue at the advice of a doctor who thought that once the area healed, there would be an improvement--there wasn't! I have reluctantly endured painful sex for years which has caused a tremendous strain on my marriage. My husband vacillates between  sympathy, anger, and rage since my willingness to have sex has gone from hardly ever to probably never! Before childbirth,our sex life was normal, healthy and pleasurable. Sadly, I mourn it. At almost age 51 now , with the symptoms of menopause adding to the problem, I wonder if there is any effective help for me and others who share this trauma. The effectiveness of the steroid injections I've read about seem to be questionable but so far the only treatment that might help. As it stands now, I am equally afraid of the pain from sex and the thought that I will live the rest of my life without it. Thanks for listening.
Wow, am I glad I found this forum. Actually, my fiance' found it. I too have been having this tearing issue for almost 4 years. Mine however did start off with herpes. My first outbreak wasn't like all the horror stories you hear. It was a little tear right on the outside of my opening that didn't seem to go away. My gyno didn't even notice until I asked her about it.  Then after that diagnosis every time we would have intercourse I thought I was having an outbreak. But I wasn't, I was just tearing every single time.  Needless to say we have no sex life. I am 31 and should be wanting to pounce all the time! But knowing I will tear, and it will be a few days before it heals, in the meantime it burns when I pee or wash.
The doc gave me Premarin. Which does work in a way. You have to refrain from sex (which wasn't hard) and use it every night. As soon as you quit using it the tears happen again. Like I said mine are on the outside, and there have been a few time when it has torn while having a bowel movement. Someone else had mentioned that too. I am thinking about seeing someone about reconstruction to see if they can help me. And yes, we've tried all the lube in the world. The one position you others can try that has worked for us is if I lay on my stomach with my legs closed. Doesn't do too much for me, but he's happy, and I don't tear.  Hopefully, someone can help us.
It's crazy, the number of women with this problem and yet nobody seems to know the cause or cure. I too have vaginal tears or fissures or whatever you wanna call them. Am in the process of looking for a dr to go to, but in the meantime, using a water bottle when you pee helps relieve the burning. Also, Dermoplast (happened to have some left over from having my son a few years ago) helps a lot with the pain and itching too if you have that problem.
A lot of information here. I have not read it all, and much of it is very technical, but maybe...it will help. Here is the link
http://www.emedicine.com/med/topic3340.htm
So I saw the question about Alesse.  I take it.  I get tears EVERY time I have sex.  Have for just about as long as I can remember.  Not herpes, I checked.  But I really enjoy how Dr.s like to freak you out with that one.  I think it's caused by mild yeast infections that make it extra sensitive down there.  But here's the twist.  The last few times I've had sex, I get this ridiculous tear down the crack of my a$$. Like I was just split up the backside.  And no, I don't do anal. I don't know what it's about... anybody?
I think knowing that others also suffer from this has made me feel much better.  Hydrocortisone usually helps me.  And no scratching, I know, it's hard.
I just started tearing, and ironically enough, I just finished with a yeast infection.  I've always had problems with anal fissures, so I wonder if I'm simply prone to them?  I've frequently had yeast infections, but this is the first time I've been sexually active during and after one.  Also, I'm on Ortho Evra, which I saw someone else mention.  Is there a common ingredient in O.E. and Alesse?  I haven't seen a doctor yet since it's new, but I'll be sure to debunk the Herpes suggestions if/when it's brought up.  I've only been with my fiance and he was tested before we first had sex.  Thanks for the info., everyone, and I'll be sure to let you know if I learn anything!
I have this problem too!!  Usually I get one small tear after sex that takes at least 3 or 4 days to heal.  How naturally lubricated I am before sex can have some affect on it, but that's not the determining factor.  Sometimes it comes after a yeast infection, sometimes it just pops up on its own.  

Lately I have been using sweet almond oil that I bought from a health/natural foods store.  I think it makes the area around the vaginal area more elastic, which prevents tears.  Since I've been using it I haven't had any tears (about 3 weeks).  Other people should try it out and see if it works.  I'm curious to know if this is just a coincindence and the tears will return or if I've actually found something that will help permanently.  I use it every morning after I get out of the shower.  I dry the area first and then apply about 3 or 4 drops of oil (sometimes more).  I hope this really works!
I think I have this problem too! Like when my boyfriend have sex one night I may get a tear. Then like three days later when we have sex again, it is so painful when he enters me. But it is only painful for a little bit. Afterward when I use the bathroom, it hurts when I urinate. But after we take a break from sex for a week or two I fine. Does this happen to anyone else?
I thought that i was the only one with this problem. I am surprised that so much and yet the cure is yet to come. My husband also has the tear and the thing is irritating for both of us. We avoid sex till the time it heals but then sex is so much required that at times I just forget all about it and just do it. No lubricant helps and I am now worried.
Hi ladies.  This is a repost from another thread on the same topic. I cannot believe that so many of us are having the same issue with no results!  I am 24 and have suffered from these vaginal tears and itching off and on for many years.  I have found that it comes at the same general time in my menstrual cycle... and it is definately NOT HERPES!  I have regular check ups and have never been diagnosed with herpes (even before I became sexually active!).  I too think that it has something to do with the vaginal flora and the yeast levels.  I am a certified herbalist and nutritionalist, and I am starting to think that the cause for all of this may be a systemic candida infection.  Candida albicans is the scientific name for yeast.  When it becomes systemic it can cause all kinds of problems.  Google it and you will find many holistic websites that list the many and varied symptoms.  It effects everyone differently, so it can be hard to diagnose.  This is also the reason why the mainstream medical community does not really recognize systemic candida infections as a real illness.  

We are all on some version of the standard american diet... over processed foods with too much refined sugar>> candida's best friend!  I am not sure if this is a definitive answer, but don't be surprised if your GYN blows it off.  Most of them will not accept this as an answer but I am going to look into it more... Unfortunately, curing systemic candida usually requires major diet changes and a strict herbal regimen.  I will post again with more info when I can.  Good lcuk to you all... keep the info coming!
so glad i found these posts...i couldnt figure out why i always get painful, burning urination a week or so before my period. i was actually embarassed to discuss it with my doctor because i thought maybe it was just a coincidence that i noticed it around my period, you know? my tears always seem to be on the left side. ive never had a yeast infection, or any infection, so i just couldnt figure out what the heck was wrong with me...thanks everybody
OMG!!!  I am soooo glad I am not alone...I have been having vaginal tearing for many years.  I finally went to my OB-GYN & she basically tried to tell me I didn't bath enough - whatever!  She gave me a tube of pure Estrogen and to apply it 2-3 times daily, told me to get a hand held shower head and clean myself that way, wear cotton underwear (which I have been for 10+ years), wear a tampon if my discharge gets too heavy & no soap, perfumes, bubbles baths.  Well, I did ALL of that except the hand held shower head & I still have tearing.  I do not have it all the time ~ for instance, I just had a good run of about 2 months with no tearing, now just last week I went to take a step and I ripped and now have 2 tears (look like slits of flesh showing)!  I have no idea what to do!  I have been trying to do some research & checking on webmd for matching symptoms, thinking maybe I have vulvovaginitis or bacterial vaginosis...but I have no idea what I might or might not have.  My friends tear too but only from sex...which makes sense if you are not lubricated, but I have a discharge all the time, so that is not a problem for me.  I have most of the same symptoms that everyone on this forum has.  My husband gets so irriated with me & thinks I don't want to have sex.  

It is so nice to see that I am not alone dealing with this problem.  If anyone finds a cure or any more "reliefs" as listed in some of the above messages, please share them with the rest of us.  Thanks for listening!  Lorena
i recently had sex and i was torn near the bottom of my vaginal area, between the opening and then anus. it is incredibly painful and has been bleeding a lot, will this go away on its own? should i put anything on it? should i go to a doctor? ~nel
I added some more information in the Vaginal Lesions thread, as there are even more testimonials, similar symptoms, and ideas there.

Hope to get somewhere with all of this (and to have that somewhere be a nice and painfree spot!!).
Wow!  I thought I was the only one with these problems.  I recently started having these tears about 2 or 3 months ago, which I realize is nothing compared to how long some of you have had to deal.  I have never had these problems with previous partners and like most of you I have been tested for everything under the sun, which of course was negative!!!  Yeah, and what is up with doctor's trying to freak us out thinking it is herpes!  I thought I was going to have a heart attack when they said that and sent me home with Valtrex to cure it.  I then got a phone call a week later saying it was negative.  Luckily my boyfriend and I know better and have been together long enough to wait for the real results!  Anyways, I am really glad (but not glad for you) that I am not the only one going through this.  I was curious if it possible to be allergic to semen and from what I read, yes, but more importantly am realizing there are other women going through the same thing.  I am on Yasmin and have been a lot longer than all of this starting happening.  The pain is horrific.  It usually starts a day or two after sex and lasts about a week or so.  It hurts so bad to urinate and wipe that I want to scream and like most of you I don't want to sit, stand or do anything because it hurts so bad.  Unfortunately I work at least 50 hours a week and have to deal with the pain.  If anyone has anymore suggestions or finds anything else out...please post!  We can all use the help!
wow i have been feeling the same thing i have left this guy i was datting for long time 2 years ago and i just got back with him and now  when me and him have sex i hurt so bad the health dept told me to use petroleum jelly when i have sex because maybe it is to dry well i did and that did not help so therefore reading all this i believe now i know what it is tearing and i have never felt like this in my life now every time i go to bathroom and wipe it make me want to cry along with haveing sex i just want to cry like a baby.i hope all of yall on here including me can find out what helps and then we all will be okay again .........           If any ideas please post on here please! i could use the help.  
A good first place to start is getting the level of  your hormones checked out.  The health of vaginal/vulvar tissue depends upon estrogen.  

Also,  no deoderant soap/ tampons/pads.  Use laundry detergent like  All Free and Clear.    

The yahoo group   vulvar disorders has a lot of informative ladies that may be able to offer better advice.
I get these same tears on the outside of my vagina, it hurts when i wipe and it get this stuff that is like dry skin rubs off on my tissue paper, does this happen to anyone
Holy cow, lsmdda126!  I never thought I'd find anyone with the same dry skin problem.  As for everyone else's comments, I, too, have been tested for herpes.  This tearing problem did't start until I was with my fiance.  At one time last summer one of my tears got infected and it was the worst pain ever.  They gave me I.V. painkillers at the E.R. and I was feeling just fine. . . and then the doctor lightly touched the tear and I was immediately writhing in pain.  Now, sorry if this is TMI, but my fiance and I are *very* sexually active, and I thought my problem was just that I was having too much fun.  But we are very careful to make sure I am lubricated.  I also worried that maybe it was because he is bigger than my previous partners, but I gave birth to a 9.5 lb baby 8 years ago and didn't even tear!  The comment from freya_faery really intrigued me, though.  He has a lot of fatigue issues that I thought were asthma-related, but I looked into the systemic yeast, and we both have LOTS of the symptoms.  I was wondering if anyone knows any more about budget-wise solutions to systemic yeast?  Money is really tight for us, and we simply don't have the money to go and spend on a $50.00 yeast killing product.

I'm sorry this is so long-winded.  I tend to babble when I'm relieved/excited.  Yay!  I'm not the only one!  I thought I was just weird or gross even though I shower regularly.
the other day i had sex with my boyfriend and i started to bleed. i got really scared because that never happened before. and i don't know what to do.
i have the same unfortunate problem. i have had this for 7 years. I tear and experience severe pain at the start of sex til finish.  i have been to 6 doctors and a vulvar specialist in manhattan and nobody can give me an answer.  they said its a rare skin disorder. write back soon ***@****
You know i just saw this discussion, and I know what all of you are going through. I have been dealing with vaginal issues since I was 15. i am now 27. it seems as though I will never have a normal sex life as a result. i get a lot of yeast infections, bladder infections, and the like. i do, unfortunately, have herpes and HPV, thanks to a terrible ex boyfriend. I have used medicated diaper rash ointment (A&D) on the outside area of the vagina. I found that this works quite well. This works well before intercourse or urination to help give some relief. I find that just as with any cut/tear it helps if it is covered with someting.
Is anyone else taking alesse birth control and may think this pill could be the cause of these tears?
Thank god for this website
WOW- I thought i was the only one with this problem!  A few days ago i started to have what i thought was burning sensitive pain.  I finally took a mirror and saw that I have several "papercuts" which is why it "burns" when I pee and wipe. I haven't made an appointment yet bc I want an idea of what im looking at and what i can expect...honestly, i thought the doc wouldn't be able to tell me much and just give me some kind of ointment that would temporarily fix it...i want to know what caused it!
I also get frequent yeast infections almost every month around my period.  I just started taking AZO Yeast, (over the counter- WalMart) and I think its going to help.  Its a daily pill to treat AND prevent.
CAN ANYONE CAN HELP ME DIAGNOSE THESE PAPERCUTS?
i was messing around with my bf a couple days ago and he finger penetrated me as usual, however a couple hours later i used the bathroom and noticed blood in my underwear, using a mirror i discovered i have a tear at the bottom of my vagina/perineal area.  like everyone else has said it hurts to pee and wipe, at this time i have no med insurance so i cant go see anyone about this.  will this heal on its own (the tear looks kinda long) and is there anything that will speed up the healing process???
I have been dealing with this for a while and it seemed like no big deal at first.  I got concerned after the cuts didn't go away and they seemed to be worse at some times than others.  I was very freaked out thinking I maybe had an STD but was confused that I have been with the same partner for a long time and had no concerns of him being unfaithful.  Finally I called my doctor and she told me over the phone that she felt she knew what it was but I was so freaked out she fit in the next days schedule.  Once she checked me out she knew right away what the problem was.  Well, I now have piece of mind and didn't need to bother going to the doctor and paying the office visit.  She said it was using a perfumed soap to switch to Aveeno or Basis, and that Dove soap is known for causing this.  I don't use Dove but a scented body wash and soap along with scented wipes in place of toilet paper.  That was the problem - I switched to Aveeno soap for just the vaginal area, and stopped using the wipes and all of the cuts were gone within 2 weeks.  The doctor told me that in extreme cases soak in Aveeno  baths 1x a day for about a week to help with the irritation and if any problems happen that since there were cuts that it could cause a yeast infection but not in most cases.  I went back for a 3 week checkup and she said that I was all clear just to keep perfumed, scented, or fragrance away from the area.  It is just that some of us girls are a little more sensitive.  Good luck and I hope this works for you.  
I feel that I have the same situation. About 6 days ago It started to hurt when I urinate (when it drips over the sore area) and so I started checking myself frequently because I thought it was herpes as most of you thought too. I finally went a couple days later to the local STD clinic and got tested for all STDs just to be safe. I check myself obsessively and am scared to death that it is herpes (I won't know until later this week) but I still do not have any blisters or bumps. Since finding this forum I'm starting to think that I have a tear of some sort. I just bought Desitin and after puting that on, it has actually soothed the area. So hopefully this will work!
To all and its ur soap,

Thanks for your input.  I do use Dove and have for some time.  I always thought Dove was the least offensive (well, maybe next to Ivory). Even though I try to just wash with water... I'll switch and see what happens.  How silly I would feel if that's what's been causing it all these years.  Worth a try!  Keep in touch and let us know if it keeps working for you!
Hi I'm so glad I found this forum. I had sex for the first time, and im pretty sure i have a tear because It hurts when i wipe/after peeing, we used a condom, and the guy doesnt have any STD's.
What could i use to calm the pain/heal the tear ?
This is a repeat post from vaginal lesions board, but thought people may not be on both!!

Hello everyone,

I have been searching for a solution to this problem for months now. For the past year I have been having recurrent severe yeast infections, or as my gyno says a higher level of  "natural" yeast at all times it seems! So that has been going on for about a year and prob about I don't know, 6 months ago? I started having a lot of soreness with sex. Same monogamous partner, over a year. Both tested for STDs, both negative. In the past few months every time I wipe after going to the bathroom (especially after sex) I have spotting of blood. I localized the blood to be coming from the lower opening of my vagina. Shortly after that I started having the paper cut-esque symptoms which have only added to the pain in sex. The irritation/pain/cuts (maybe) radiate up into my butt (NOT anus, just the crack) especially directly after sex (vaginal sex). This is frustrating, but glad I am not alone!

So here is info about me...

Diagnosed about 9 months ago as being allergic to scents/fragrances, so I use fragrance free soap, tampons/pads, fragrance and glycerin free lubrication (brand is Pink, its the ONLY one which hasn't irritated me)

Monogamous relationship for past year +, both tested for STDs, both negative.

On Apri birth control.

Do not use condoms.

I started trying to think WHY this is happening, when this has not happened in past relationships. There is not really a large size discrepancy between past boyfriends and current one, but I did realize that now 1) we don't use condoms (did with previous partners) and 2) now I shave/wax completely.

My sister also has suffered from this and she also shaved all hair completely, and her gyno said to stop shaving. So here are my questions for you...

Do any of you shave all hair (maybe somehow weakens the skin???)

And how many of you do NOT use condoms? (maybe its from the semen??)

Side note: Went to the store today and spent a ton of money on lots of stuff that I saw recommendations from this board! Including Aveeno body wash (fragrance free), Aveeno oatmeal bath (fragrance free) and tried both today, seemed to sooth! And I also both AVO yeast and garlic pills, I will see how that works! Also, I am about to start my period, but have cuts all the time, but the yeast problems to increase prior to period.

Hope to hear back about whether or not you all use condoms or shave!

Thanks!!!!!!!!
YES, I recall noticing the first cuts after I started to shave again...I have been shaving for years..but it was only in the last year, that I noticed a recurrence of these cuts (also around my menstrual cycle).  I've had cuts even when I'm not sexually active.  SO it sounds like there are multitudes of factors that could contribute to these 'cuts': fragrance pads/tampons/tissue, abrasive shaving, etc.  I will look into the same recommendations to sooth the skin and make it more elastic.  Should this be a question for dermatologists? anyone ever seeked their advice? Thank you all!
saw on the other post about this issue that gluten may be a factor.  What do you all think of that idea?  After all, its something that most of us are eating on a daily basis....unlike some of the other possibitlites that we've ruled out for ourselves like herpes, yeast, not all use dove soap, etc...
As many of you have already stated, I can't believe I am not the only one!  I do feel alone in that my cuts do not seem to occur around sexual activity, but depending on the underwear I choose to wear; if I wear a thong or full panties that are a bit too small, I get small cuts with EXTREME pain when I have to wipe after urinating, etc. Does anyone else get that due to their panties also and not just sexual activity?
I had sex for the first time 2 nights ago. I'm assuming my vagina wasn't wet enough and that i was tight.  My partner's package is quite big aswell so i'm sure this had a part.  My vagina has a tear in it, and that night it was bleeding a lot, like my period.  The next morning there was no blood at all and it hasn't been bleeding since.  It obviously still stings when i pee because i have an open wound, and i could visily see the tear when i was looking in the mirror.  I'm thinking that it'll just heal on it's own because it has compleely stopped bleeding, do you think it will?..I'm really scared to go to the doctor and i'm really convinced it's going to heal on its own in a few days or so
I have been getting these Papercuts for going on 6 months now and I had seen one about 3 years prior to that.  For some reason I keep getting them frequently in the last few months.  They are always on my labia ... either on the lips themselves or at the base where the labia meet right below my urethra.  I suppose I could have them and not realize it depending on the location.  Mostly I notice them when going to the bathroom (stings when peeing) or by moving a certain way in a chair and I can feel it.

I have been through so many tests over the last few months its not funny.  Pretty much every OB I went to said I had herpes... I have been tested for that multiple times and it is in fact NOT herpes or any STD.  

I'm not sure how or why I get them... I know it is NOT sexual related and it is NOT my soap.  I have been to over 5 different Gyn's in the last 6 months and none of them have a clue what the hell it is.  They seem to heal pretty quickly...within 1 or 2 days so its hard to get the OB to see them sometimes.  

I had one last week and I went to a new gyn ... she recommended doing a biopsy to see if it was a skin condition.  The biopsy came back as "dermititus"  ... definately not worth the pain of the biopsy for that result!  So, she's telling me its an allergic reaction to something.  Which frankly does not make any sense to me.  It would have to be something coming in contact with my vagina and not just in my hair but on my lips (since that's where I get the papercuts).  It could also be a food allergy or something... I'm not sure I'm buying the allergy thing.

The one common thing I find in my research is I can't find a woman that has said OMG I FOUND THE ANSWER!  Only thing I keep seeing is women saying please tell me if  you find an answer... this is sooooo frustrating.  I would just ignore it since I know its not an STD or a skin disease...but the little buggars are painful.  I'm on a steriod cream now... but I dunno if that will help.

Sigh.
I hear ya!  Be careful with the steroid cream, though. Why they perscribe this, I'm not sure.  I've also been prescribed it as well.  However, the thing with steroid cream is that it can thin the skin and make your skin more susceptible (I think i spelled that wrong) to tearing.  I have been using a daily dose of Fem-dophilus by Jarrow, and a dab of Estrogen cream in the labial folds (which will strengthen the skin which can thin with frequent yeast or BV infections) about 2x a week. Its actually been fairly comfortable down there lately!
Hmmm... my mother is a big fan of asodophilius...but I've never heard of ferndophilus.  I'm at the end of my rope with this... I think the most annoying thing is that the biopsy hurts way more than the papercuts ever would and is taking forever to heal.  It better not leave a bump down there or a scar.  That would make me even more mad.  :)  Thanks for the advice.
I had never heard of it either...usually just the old standard things...yogurt, acidophilus, lactobacillius tablets,  etc.  Grace (on the STD site suggested it and I decided to give a whirl since nothing else was helping.)  The good news is I'm feeling the best I've felt in months (or maybe even the last two years).  Fem-dophilus comes in a pink box and can be found in the refrigerated section of the vitamin dept at your local health food store. you need to keep it refrigerated.  Which reminds me...I didn't take it this morning!

Here's a quote I found on a totally different site from Grace:

"It helps restore the "good" flora to the genital area so it's good for bv and yeast. Google dr gregor reid and urex cap 5 - it's well worth the read.

Regular acidophilus products don't colonize the urogenital tract. They are helpful if the problem was coming from your gastrointestinal tract but not if the problem is from other factors. Lots of research that shows this."

grace

(its jp again...) Do some research on it.  I think they may have found something that works!

I've just started having the same problem so i started washing without soap in that area because the fluids that build up in your vaginal area clean your vagina naturally anyways i stopped using soap in that area and no toilet paper i just use a water bottle to clean after i use the bathroom and vaseline everynight before i go to bed and before intercourse so im using vaseline at least three times a day because you never know when you'll need to use the restroom or when your going to have sex with your significant other i have been tested for my std's and everythings fine im just sensitive in that area and also my boyfriend is extremely well endowed and that could be apart of it as well we also stopped using condoms because the latex would irritate me and the don't have non latex in his size so we go get tested every so often and im just really careful down in that area!  hope my tips help you also no thongs and no underwear at night i also only wear white underwear no dyes!
Ladies, I have had the same issue for over a year now.  My doctor basically told me that when it first happened I did not let it heal all the way through before having intercourse again.  Therefore, the skin has been compromised!  Scar tissue has formed and that is what keeps splitting.  He suggested massaging with Vit E oil every night.  When I do the massage the tears are smaller or do not occur, if I don't ...I tear each time.  So keep massaging and stay away from any and all steroid creams these only damage the skin even further.  
I just wanted to post my experience here after reading all these comments.  I too suffer from vaginal tears (don't know why, definitely not STD's).  Usually they just go away with me doing nothing but I wanted to try SOMEthing!  I decided to pop open a Vitamin E capsule and rub the salve on the tear.  It worked fairly quickly!  The red around the tear is still there but burning when I pee is not.  This is only my second night using the Vitamin E and it'll probably be healed by tomorrow.  Next time this happens I won't waste any time and just pop a Vitamin E (very inexpensive) and treat right from the first sign.  Man, this getting old thing sucks, never had these problems as a teenager!!!
Everything written here sounds very familiar.  I've been married for 17 years to the same man and have battled this issue for the past year.  Two doctors and several tests later and I wasn't even close to having any answers that might help until I sat down at this computer and started searching and reading everything I could find on perineal tears etc.

What I found is that I'm probably allergic to glycerin, an ingredient in many personal lubricants and soaps.  My husband and I have been testing lubricants that are glycerin and paraben free to see if the cuts return.  So far everything is normal, like my old self is back again.  I haven't had any redness and raw feeling after intercourse either.  

My advice is to read labels and stay away from glycerin!

I hope that this information will help someone else.
Also, Astroglide has a new product that is glycerin and paraben free.

http://www.astroglide.com/products_astroglide_free.asp

I saw that Walgreens in my area carries it.

I've been using Slippery Stuff and so far so good.

(((((((Hugs to all))))))))  It's not an aging thing, it's an allergy thing!
I have been experiencing the tears/pain for a about 6 months now. I have had every test possible (no STDs, no yeast infections), seen 3 different gynos, they had no idea what it was.  At first I thought it had to do with sex, but my husband is in the Army and is away, so I haven't had sex in months... but the tears are back!  I was searching online tonight because I'm fed up with what the doctors keep saying. -I only use hypo-allergetic everything, I use Aveeno soaps, wear loose cotton undies and never use perfumes or soap down there.  Also, I'm on alesse birthcontrol, which I saw a few other people mention- I wonder if this is a contributing factor.

What I found online:
Lichen Sclerosus is a skin disorder that affects the vaginal area and causes tears around the vagina.  It also causes itchyness.  There is no cure and the only form of treatment is cortisone creams (could be why so many people here are using them).  
I'm planning on making another appointment with a gyno asap to take a biopsy (scary thought but at this point if it can help, it's worth it) to see what it could be and if it is Lichen Sclerosus.  I'll let you all know what happens.  I'm so glad to have found this forum & know that I'm not alone in this.
I have been experiencing the same paper cuts on my perineum, usually after sex,  but think the intial trigger was after a courses of antibiotics, and subsequent yeast infection. I have tried lots of things to try and rlieve the discomfort and heal- i have tried canisten cream, hydrocrortisone cream, anusol- the best thing so far has been athletes foot powder (strange i know) used after showers on the area like talc- seems to dry the cuts up quickly and helps healing. hope this helps. I hope someone does some official research into this as it is obviously a common problem for many women and highly worrying when there is no medical knowledge, literature or adivce available on this even from many GPs.
well im glad to have found this page im having the same problem altho ive found soaking in a bath of baking soda helps soothe the splits and tears  ive tried salt in bath too tea bags the herbal ones too are good  i never have periods as i skip them on pill as it gives me the yeast infection {thrush}   but i still get the tears  and the dam sore toilet breaks are so bad sometimes in the shower i well pee {yes i do clean shower afterwards}  as water does help stop the pain im on my 4th day of it now and have more tears than ever one quite deep.  i would love to know if any more ideas of relief or advice  thanks.
I have these + anal fissures. Has anyone tried this: http://www.ageless.co.za/reconstr.htm#anal%20surgical%20wound%20care  I am ready to try nearly anything, but if anyone else has already tried it, I'd like to know. Thanks!
This may sound strange, but whenever i have an issue down there i take my "Just Like Me" lubrication that i got from "Slumber Parties" (in home sex toy parties) i take a dime size amount on the tip of my finger and i rub it all over the outside wherever the pain or irritation is and just inside the vagina, then i grab the closest toy or man and work it out!  (it feels really good!  the pain like disapears) when i am done i go the bathroom, as usual, and wipeing never felt better! i dont shower right away, seems like the longer its with you the better it feels kinda thing!   I have also been tested for all std's and i have had these issues since i was a kid!    i never wear underwear or pants to bed, seems like it needs to breathe, to me unlike some of you it seems like mine come about a week after my period!  but it really feels great afterwards!  you will notice the differance as soon as you slide your toy or your man in!  

www.slumberparties.com

Just Like Me lubrication

hope this helps and best wishes to all!
Thank goddess for you women who put all your private issues up here to share. I have been having the same problem and freaked out when my husband and I thought it might  be Herpes. I have always had skin irritations down there (DR. mandated no bubble baths as a kid) but haven't had a really bad problem in a long time. I just got over a yeast infection right before my wedding/honeymoon. I was so afraid I might have gotten something nasty from the hot tub in our cabin- and I have a DR's appointment tomorrow just to be safe, but this site pretty much confirmed that I don't have any crazy std's and that we're all looking for a good solution. Thank you, ladies. Hope we all get better.
Does anyone else get tears inside their vagina?  I recently had sex for the first time and it seemed like I felt something tear even though there was no pain.  I looked in a mirror, and it doesn't appear to be my hymen that teared.  I'm pretty sure the blood is coming from inside my vagina.  It's also not my period, as I had just finished that before I had sex 10 days ago.  The blood isn't nearly as much as I would have while on my period, but I'm tired of wearing pads every day and worrying about it.  I don't have health insurance, so going to a doctor is pretty much out of the question.
It is comforting to know that other women out there are having similar problems.  I believe my vaginal tears originate from my first yeast infection 5 months ago.  Because I had never had a yeast infection before I couldn't explain the discomfort I was having during sex.  My doctor prescribed me medication for the yeast infection, however I don't believe it went away as sex was still quite painful.  I am with a new partner and we had 'normal' sex for about 3 months.  It is starting to drastically effect our sex life, as we are also involved in a long distance relationship.  The second last time we had sex it was quite painful.  I returned to my doctor and she noticed serve redness around my vaginal and a small tear.  Given my description of my symptoms, she diagnosed me, again, with a yeast infection.  I took the medication and didn't see my boyfriend for  6 weeks....which I feel is more than enough time to have the medication do its work and allow the area (undistrubed) to heal.  So you can imagine my surprise when we had sex for the first time in 6 weeks that I experience some minor discomfort again and noticed a tear on the inside of my labia, right near the entrance to my vagina.  This has become extremely frustrating to both my boyfriend and I, as we don't know what to do.  I am going to my doctor tomorrow, and I am hoping for some solutions.  
Hey, i've been having this same problem as well. I'm convinced that it's from messing around with my boyfriend, but we don't have sex.  I don't know what to do! I'm in major discomfort when i pee or take showers because there are tears all over my vagina area. I'm expiriancing fevers as well, which scares me that the cuts are infected or something.  They are starting to scab so hopefully they will go away soon. Is there anything i can do to help my comfort before they heal? The pain is becoming unbearable.
well like most I have to say "thank goodness for this forum"...you have no idea how hard it's been to suffer through this alone.  I was assaulted as a teen and contracted Herpes as a result and thought that the tears I had consequently were related to that.  When others described the tears between the butt cheeks and being herpes free I knew for the first time that I was dealing with an entirely different problem.  Thank you!  I'll share my experiences and hope that this can help lead us all in the right direction...I have been on birth control (loestrin) since the age of 19 (I'm 26 now)...I use perfumed soaps almost exclusively...my husband and I have a pretty active sex life but I do suffer with tears a lot...especially on the bottom of my vaginal opening...he's not overly large or anything so I'm not sure what causes it...the tears between the butt cheeks are the worst...like super sharp paper cuts that hurt when you move and itch like no tomorrow...in general I don't have any allergies so I'm not sure if that's a contributor but I am very sensitive to smell in general so being allergic or sensitive/allergic to perfumed soaps makes perfect sense!  Not saying this is a cure but until one of us finds a cure, posting methods to cope is very appreciated!  I've read the whole page up to my post so I'll summarize the soothing methods for those who read after ...good luck ladies...I'll be sure to try all these out and let you know what worked best for me,,,although this sucks as it has affected my life in ways that I often feel are unfair...try to think of it this way...in some way ...I'm sure it could be worse...(I believe that but I DON'T WANT TO KNOW HOW!  smile)....anyway....

SUMMARY OF RELIEF METHODS (not listed in order of effectiveness..all from this msg board):

1. VITAMIN E (POP A CAPSULE AND RUB ON AFFECTED AREA)
2. ADVIL FOR THE PAIN
3. GARLIC
4. SWEET ALMOND OIL
5. DIAPER RASH OINTMENT
6. UNSECNTED SOAPS/BODYWASH (TRY AVEENO)
7. AVOID PRODUCTS WITH GLYCERIN (YOU MAY BE ALLERGIC/SENSITIVE TO IT)
I just recently suffered a 1/2 inch tear from sex. I had no idea it was a common thing in women. Its often caused by rough sex. I was taken to the emergency room from bleeding. I needed stitches. So I reccommend that any women suffering from this go to the hospital so a professional can tell you what needs to be done to be relieved from the pain. If your OBGYN can not diagnose the problem, you need to consult a professional. There is, however, an ointment that will numb you so it will not hurt to urinate. No pain in the slightest. You can find it in any drug store. Such as Walgreens or CVS.
Chryssie do you know the name of that ointment and will it numb all feeling, like when having sex?  lol  I am so glad I found this site, I was worried about std's too, Ive tested negative though. Ive been with my bf for 6 months and ive been having a vaginal tear for the past four months. sometimes hurts worse than other, but it makes me not wanna do it. but I still do. I dont understand why it just came about all out of the blue though. Ive never experienced it before. But doesnt seem like it wants to go away. But im so tired of it now, this has gotten old!. I am going to try everything listed until something works. I never have pain unless its during sex, as he enters me is where it hurts. Then after a day or two Im fine, it doesnt even burn. well, I appreciate everyone offering all this advice. Its been very helpful to me and im sure plenty of others. :) I thought it might be dry skin causing it too tear. Sometimes I have dry skin there (ash6 like), below the opening and on my butt. So i'll definitely try the oil. thanks
Also I was reading in another forum about dehydration.  I know as for myself I dont drink enough water, and they lady was saying that dehydration could cause vaginal dryness and a change in discharge and even cause tears/irritation. Which of course can possibly cause an infection. So just in case thats another tip! ;)
Question!! This is my first time researching this or finding this article and I would love some feedback! I am a twenty year old female who just got over her first yeast infection a week or so ago. My boyfriend and I are in a monogomous relationship for 3 1/2 months now and we were both tested for std's and both came back negative. I have always been a very sexual person and am very experienced sexually and usually never experience pain or discomfort, but ever since I got over this yeast infection, so it seems, I experience pain during intercourse. NOT internal pain, but it seems as if, like you all are saying, that there feels like there is a cut that is being stretched as my vagina opens up for insertion. I am just wondering if you guys can see the cuts or if it just feels like they are there? I have examined my vagina very closely and it doesnt seem like there are any noticable cuts or bumps or sores or anything, it just simply hurts during intercourse when he tries to put it all the way in ( he is very well indowed). I am just wondering if you all have any advice!! Like I said before, its not that its pain, it just seems as if its irritated when the skin stretches before the penis enters.  THanks and have a happy holiday!!
I have had the tests...blah blah blah as u all have been saying... and im free and clear. I have never had a tear before untill a few weeks ago...oh my god...talk about pain...when u sit, pee, walk...total agony! I have came to a few conclusions...T believe that it was caused by dryness, not being totally wet when being entered...especially by suprise!  and the position u are being entered, i found that with me laying flat on my stomach is not helpfull at all just makes it more painfull..the passage way is not as smooth. And also size matters...make sure u are lubricated well if he is larger than normal. I have looked down there with a mirror and can see the cut at 6 o'clock just inside my opening. I have been using A and D ointment, and a cooling gel by prepreation H that contains witch hazel, they are wipes u can use for anal and vaginal elacerations..it burns thought but feels better latter. Vitamain E can be used along with desitin for diaper rash...but be carefull and make sure they can be used internally. I would also consult ur doctor/ob-gyn just to make sure he or she can better diagnose you.~ ashley~23
oh man I am so glad I found this thread, I've been having a hard time having sex with a new boyfriend, and I always thought it was because he was larger than normal and I wasn't used to it, but I figured I could always get KY to help. Sex most of the time is painful and one day he penetrated me and I felt a very sharp pain and I started bleeding lightly (bright red blood). I thought it was spotting from taking birth control, since I always felt pain with him anyway. It turns out that I have a tear right outside of my vagina opening (diagnosed via hand held mirror in the bathroom) and when I stick my finger inside myself, there is slight pain, and I'm thinking the skin there must be irritated and thinned out from all the rough sex.

thanks for letting me vent here because I have been so worried and frustrated, and I think I will try some of the remedies posted here!
The ointment is called Nupercainol.
I recently went to the doctor about this and she prescribed me an estrogen cream and I have had no improvement. I am only 18 and have never had sex, but any kind of fingering leaves me in loads of pain. I have had rips above my clit, in the folds, on the skin between my vagina and my anus, and on the other side of my anus too. I just thought that the guys were being too rough. Like many of you, mine also rip with bowel movements, sitting, and just stepping wrong. I report back to the doc in two weeks and she will probably continue to make me feel as if there is just something wrong with me. I am scared to become sexually active and don't know what to do when that time comes. Thanks for making me feel im not alone!
I read through all the above comments because I too was experiencing a small tear near my perineum. I went to the doctor and have been tested for STD's numerously only to have every test come back negative. I have gone to her several times about this and the first two times she just said that I should use lubrication when I am sexually active. I tried that and it didn't work, so this time when I went to her, I had a list of all the potential causes in which you all list above (Fragrant soaps, birth control pills, etc) and asked her if it may be one of those. She wanted to try one other thing. She tested me for a yeast infection-something that I never thought I had ever had before. Sometimes the yeast will clear on its own and other times you have one and you have no idea that you have it. She said that vaginal fissures or tears are VERY common with yeast infections. She tested me and that was exactly what it was. She gave me a pill, that with insurance, only cost 26 cents, so I don't think without insurance it will be much more. I was sexually inactive for a little over a week and haven't had a problem since. Again, I made sure I was tested for STD's and that my tests were negative and I remained persistent and we finally realized together what it was. I'm not saying this will be the diagnosis for everyone, but if you have a tendency to be prone to yeast infections or think that you have never had one, this may be the cause for your tears. Good Luck!
I TIHNK I FOUND SOMETHING THAT WORKS!
for months i was dealing with vaginal tears, almost came out of no where. I had no idea what to do, everything seemed helpless. i told my mom and she told the doctor the next time she went in.  they gave her this cream, it is a yeast infection cream with a type of neosporin to heal the cuts.  basically she explained it as a lower yeast infection that is acidic to your skin so it breaks it down easily, the cream both relieves a lower yeast infection and the cuts as well. it has helped for me A TON. once in awhile it stings after sex, but there are no more random tears.
the cream is called :
CLOTRIMAZOLE 1%HC 1%CR
Well Ladies, this is even more troubling than I ever expected. Ihave suffered all of my adult life with these tears. I believe in the beginning they were tiny enough to not see. Now the tear is about 1/2 inch in the same damn spot every time. It is everything everyone of you have mentioned and maddening! I have see doctor after doctor and gotten no answers. It ruined my first marriage and has continued to ruin each and every relationship I start as you can imagine, how important the sex is to men and this just can't go on. I am tired of being treated like a broken toy.

Perhaps the chemicals we use in our wash and shower are damaging to us. Perhaps the sugars we are eating are changing our chemistry to be different than our mom's. But you can't tell me that semen is still the same semen from long ago. Their eating habits changed too. They use the same soap products as we do and then go inside of us. So as we examine ourselves for the cause, don't forget the partner needs to do some examining too.

Way too many women are suffering from what I am reading and it truly sucks. We lose our sexual confidence sometimes before we gain any. We feel less than a woman at times and I have even felt like I was a waste of a great body. I have never really enjoyed a sexual encounter even once. That fear has always been there for me.

So, let's get a few things out in the open. Most on here have had blood work. Let's reveal a few things.....

Blood Type:
Age:
Diet - good, eh, poor
Soap used in shower:
Shampoo used: (i always washed with shampoo and skipped the soap)
Sugar intake - very little, regularly, as often as possible
What have you tried to help the situation that has worked?
What hasn't worked?

We need to ban together here and start demanding answers from doctors. Make them earn their money. I have a new doctor that is very willing to help and I have already told him about this forum and some of the conversation. Let's figure this out!!!!!!

And I am SplittingMad
I am back from a trip to the pharmacy. I told the pharmacist my issue and asked him if he had heard of this condition. I figured, he gets people from all over and all doctors in the area prescribing various things. He said he never heard of it bu then questioned me on a few things. He could see that I was very physically fit. He asked if I had any blood work done to see if my cholesteral was ok. He was concerned that it was low. As we were talking I mentioned how involved I had always been in sports. He then said that those of us that are more athletic tend to have lower estrogen levels and higher testosterone levels. Lower estrogen means thinner skin in those sensitive areas.

I will be getting blood work done to see if my levels are fine. I will then seek help to see if the low estrogen level can't be helped. I can't go on suffering like this.

I am now curious to know how many of you that have written here are as athletic as me. We have to exhaust everything we can consider to get this figured out....if it is the last thing I ever do!

SplittingMad
Like everyone else here I'm so glad that I found this thread! I've been through so many different tests to try to figure out what's wrong with me, yet this is the first time that vaginal tearing has been mentioned.
I'm going to try some of the things mentioned on this forum as i seem to share some similarities with other people who have posted - e.g. being banned from bubble baths as a kid and having had yeast infections. I know STDs aren't a possibility, and it mortifies me that this is the first thing any doctor suggests. It's good to know that Dove can actually cause problems as I'd always thought it was one of the gentlest! I'm also interested by what a previous poster said about people who do sport having lower oestrogen levels...i was a gymnast so trained a lot and wore leotards...prob not the best for this particular problem!
I've talked to my boyfriend about it because he was offended at first, especially when I bled or had to ask him to stop because of the pain because he just though that it meant I didn't want sex at all. I don't want it to become an issue in our relationship, especially as I will be moving abroad soon and things will be difficult anyway!
Thank you to everyone on here for letting me know that I'm not a freak!!! Thank you!!
Still terrified of going to the doctor but i need some help...hope some of the suggestions here work!
^_^
I'm glad I found this board and all of the suggestions seems great, but has anyone ever considered that it might be Bacterial Vaginosis or a yeast infection? I seem to sometimes get all the symptoms that are present on this board. But I've come to realize it's always either a yeast infection or Bacterial Vaginosis.

I sometimes get it from using things such as soaps that might irritate my skin down there, or from to much friction during bedding. Usually to much friction during bedding. If I don't get treatment for it and just use creams to sooth the pain it will heal slightly on it's own. But without treatment as soon as I'm with my boyfriend I become immediately irritated again with the cracking or tearing. It's no fun! It's doesn't smell, unless you let it get really bad. And sometimes I don't even have a discharge. My only symptom may only be the tearing or irritation.

I used to think it could be an std, but after being with the same boyfriend for years, and getting tested for everything possible. I realized that I was really sensitive down there and it tends to lead to some sort of infection when agitated enough.

Also!

This is a big one. I realized that over the years men may use lotions and such to relieve themselves when you may not be around. If they do this lets say in the morning and don't wash it off with soap and not just water, and then are with you in the evening, you might as well insert lotion right up there yourself. Instant irritation and infection!

And when your men use soap down there to clean. They have to wash the soap off really well. If they have soap remains on them, guess what, you have soap remains in you too. Also no fun!

Hope that helps!
Well, the Premerin seems to be working well for me. It rejuvenates the skin there and makes it more pliable. I think you all should try it and give it time to work. I have had two really good intimate encounters with my beau and all went well with no splits. If that skin there isn't elastic, it is going to split. The Premerin helps put the elasticity back. Try it!

Splitting Mad with a smile.
you guys i'm so happy i found this forum i was just runnig out the door to the emergency room and being me i wanted to be prepared for the worst so i checked out swollen vagina lips and here i am although this isn't that section i have problems with tears as well i went to the gyn and the clinic twice since the beginning of december i just knew i had a std that had festered or something to that extent because it was so painful and i hadn't had sex since october of 2006 anyway i was so irritated my gyn tested me for herpes as well the test came back negative but i did have a sugar related yeast infection that made the tears harder to heal he prescribed me some liquid lidocane to put in the area to numb it during the healing process now the next thing i think i'm going to be a diabetic because the yeast keeps coming back and i have a history of high blood sugar ....  back to the subject... about twenty minutes ago i was itching so i scratched and women who've had a yeast infection knows you can sometimes get carried away, my vagina lips all of a sudden became swollen i got scared hopped in the shower and was out the door i'm happy because i came here and read that extreme irritation and ie pulling, scratching, and rubbing hard can cause the lips to swell tommorow night i'll go to the doctor if they're still swollen but in the mean time i'm so happy there's a place i can express my concerns get feed back relate and realize i'm not alone thank you! sometimes you can't discuss things like this with anyone and not be totally humilliated and or embarrased
I posted earlier on this forum and since then have had surgery (sphincterotomy) to "fix" the anal fissures i was experiencing (it did not work). My perenium is still tearing and next week i am going to get botox shots in and around the area. My doctors think it is the muscles spasming not the skin itself. Like some of you I have been very active all my life (gymnastics, softball, basketball, tennis) and doctors believe the tear is a result of a previous injury. Im only 18 and embarrassingly enough my dad is determined to find a cure (he found the botox idea). I will report back after I paralyze my downstairs! Hope this works and possibly helps anyone.
I have been experiencing sharp pain during intercourse with my latest partner for about 2 months now.  Every once in a while I bleed a little and just today I inspected the opening of my vaginal canal and noticed a sore that looks more like it has been severely rubbed away skin.  I have tried waiting for a week or so to give it time to heal but it keeps happening. It might be due to the fact that I have a history of yeast infections that might have made the walls of my vagina less elastic?  The thing is that I have never experienced this problem with any of my previous partners (who have been larger than him so I know thats not the problem) and I really enjoy sex and want to go back to normal painless sex as soon as possible.  If anyone has any suggestions as to what is going on or how to quicken the healing process please let me know!  
I am telling you, some of us don't have the right hormone levels and need some help. Try the premarin. As we age, at different rates, our bodies change. I have had this problem since i was 21, now 43. I continue to have good encounters now using the medicine. I apply it once a day. in the morning.

Splitting Mad now happier...
I just got back from the gyno and she thinks my tears are herpes. I'm freaked out. I've been getting these tears for years and always thought it was due to sex or wearing a thong. They hurt initially and then get very itchy when healing - which makes them worse, and the skin in that area is dry. They're usually located near the bottom of the vaginal opening, just above the perineum. I'm waiting for test results, but it's comforting to know others share my problem. None of my girlfriends know what I'm talking about or can relate.
I am a medical student and the tears are from yeast. Yeast infections can and do cause small tears in the vagina they look like paper cuts and can burn and itch and hurt. The best way to get rid of them quickly is to take diflucan if you have to take one pill a day for two weeks some yeast is very strong and takes a long time to get rid of. Trust me it is not herpes, with herpes they eventually turn into open sore and look like a blister not a paper cut.
  hey ladies....this problem was why i joned this forum! I too had the papercuts on the perineum and one on the clitoris.  It made showering, urinating, wiping, sex very painful and difficult.  After orally treating the yeast infection and using a steroid cream for only a week, I am better. Because I didn't treat mine promptly, it took a long time to go away and left scars. Go to your doctor immediately! Some doctors are stumped by this. I got STD screening and a blood test to eliminate the possibilty of herpes. I found out yesterday that I have nothing!!! YEA!!! If you have ongoing yest infections I suggest a doctor visit, cotton panties ONLY in the day, no panties at night, no harsh products on the area, and try to limit sugar, pop, alcohol, carbs, you know...all the good stuff lol.....mine was caused by wearing thongs, being in sweaty clothes all day(i'm a trainer), heavy smoking which depletes estrogen, poor diet, and extreme stress. This is an awful thing to go through and I hope this info helps someone.  To anyone overly paranoid about STDS like I was, go get tested.  It made me feel a lot better.  But for some peace of mind.... typically herpes do not last as long as these cuts, herpes do not scar, herpes do not bleed, an usually form as a blister which opens and scabs. Although all cases are different, I just wanted to write that for all the ladies who were in the same situation as I was....frantically looking all night long on the computer for an answer worried and scared and paranoid and driving themself crazy.
I am so amazed that I have come accross so many people who seem to be experiencing the same horrible symptoms that I have been. I have read every entry and although I do not have any answers I want to confirm our symptoms and finally find an answer!! Ever since I was a young girl I have experienced what I know to be an unnormal amount of discharge. I am wet almost all the time, and it seems to increase during physical activity. I'm now 22 and I have been sexually active for about 6 years with only 2 partners. The problem of vaginal tearing has only been a problem with my current boyfriends for the past couple of years even though we have been together for four years. I have been tested for every type of STD, and my GYN does not have any answers. I feel that he just dissmisses my problem, and does not understand how horrible it really is. So here are all my vaginal problems. Sorry for the descriptive bluntness.

1. Always wet- Dischard is clear to milky, slightly yellow and will crust in my underwear, usually odurless, but becomes very strong when I get a tear.Like a yeast infection with feeling itchy occassionally. Doctor says it isn't.
2. Pain during sex- With both boyfriends I experienced this, ALWAYS at the beginning of penetration and sometimes during. Though my current boyfriend is vey well endowed, I am afraid to have sex because of the pain I experience.
3. Vaginal tear- Between the the opening of the vagina and the anus. Does not seem to be soley caused by intercorse. Appears often-usually 1-2 weeks before my period. Extemely painful in the shower, when pee runs over it, or to touch it. Very red, burning itchy area...discharge still present.

Thought maybe the tears were related to being wet all the time.

4. Birth Control- I had to stop my BC approximately 2 years ago, becuase I got blood clots, around the time that the tears started to occur.

So PLEASE tell me if you suffer from the same symptoms because there doesn't seem to be a name for this illness!!
And I thought I was done... haha =)

I also have had those paper cut like soars on the labia or upper "flaps" and had the same symptoms. Just as painful. Have not had this problem for a long time now. I only experience the tear on the lower area of the vagina now.
that's where i experienced them...on the perienum. I thought that I experienced an unusual amount of discharge, but my gyno says its normal for women in child-bearing years to have light, moderate, or even heavy discharge. She said as long as it didn't smell or was an unusual color, that it was okay. Mine came over time because I didn't treat a yeast infection promptly, which caused cuts, and then some sort of secondary fungal infection that went all the way from the perineum to the top of the buttcrack. It has been gone for about a month or two now and I am grateful. I have pain during sex unless I'm really in the mood and I was on BC for 4 years, quit for 6 months, and have been on it again for about a year. This problem did coincide a few things: 1.starting my BC again. 2. Getting a sitdown job where I was literally sitting in sweat 6 hours a day. 3. Working as a trainer, therefore being in sweaty workout clothes all day.  To avoid this happening again which seems to be working: 1. I'm airing out at night. 2. Cotton granny panties rule! 3. Not overwashing the area. 4. Witch hazel vaginal wipes which sting at first but are awesome!! Can't recommend them enough...It seems like our problems are different but similar.  I totally blame hormones and yeast.
What about a birth control pill connection? (hormones)

I have been taking Seasonique, a birth control pill that gives you only 4 periods per year, for about a year now. In that time, I started getting a tear at the base of my vagina every time I have intercourse with my husband. It is very painful when he enters (it tears at this point) and continues to be painful during intercourse. I pee after we finish and always find blood on the toilet paper and am sore for a few days.

In addition to this, I have been getting what I believe are UTIs (not affected by yeast infection medication and much more internally painful) frequently--every month or two. The symptoms come up during the night or the morning after we've had sex. I visit the gynocologist each time and get an antibiotic prescription that helps the symptoms very soon after I begin taking it. AZO Standard (a urinary pain reliever you can buy at Walgreens) has also been a lifesaver during this time. I never had these come up before I started taking Seasonique. Just the other day, I got the test results back from the last time I had these symptoms from my gyno and they showed as negative for an infection (which has left me curious, to say the least!).

My husband and I have been married for over three years and been together for 7 1/2 years, always monogomous. I also have noticed a tremendous drop in my libido. Like most of you, I also have begun associating this pain with intercourse and get turned off at the thought off so much pain. It's affecting our sex life, which has decreased to just a few times a month. :(

So, I got to thinking about the time line of everything and realized there was a connection to the time I started taking this pill. The last time I visited the gyno, she mentioned that Seasonique is one of the most powerful birth control pills. (I went on it to keep ovarian cysts down and decrease severe period pain and flow.) I would imagine if it's that strong, it is probably affecting my hormones strongly (and, therefore, making the skin thin, decreasing my libido, etc.).

So, I'm curious for those of you that have gone to the doctor about this if you have ever asked if there might be a connection between this and the BC you're taking? I'm planning on visiting the gyno soon, wanting to switch pills, and will report back on what she says.

Here are some facts about me:
Age: 27
Height: 5'5"/Weight: 120 lbs
Relationship status: married 3 yrs
Birth Control: Seasonique (symptoms appeared while taking this med)
No Herpes or other STDs
Activity level: moderate
Diet: moderately healthy
Sugar intake: moderate
What have you tried that has worked?: AZO Standard for urinary pain relief, antibiotics for urinary pain (UTI-like symptoms), hydrocortizone cream and Neosporin work okay for immediate relief but not longterm
What have you tried that has not worked?: switching to water-based lubricants (I thought it might have been allergic to the other type), peeing directly after sex

I visited my gyno today and thought I'd post the effect. I got a prescription (and samples) for Loestrin 24. So, I will begin taking that in about a week. My doctor said that she believes I have Interstitial Cystitis (IC). Here's a little more about IC from the Interstitial Cystitis Association website:

http://www.****

Interstitial cystitis (IC), also known as painful bladder syndrome, is a chronic, painful, inflammatory condition of the bladder wall that affects over one million people - women, men, and children - in the United States. Although its cause is unknown and there is no cure, there are many available treatment options to help relieve symptoms. Although IC is considerably less well-known, it is as common as Parkinson's disease or Type I diabetes.

She thinks this is the cause of the vaginal tearing, the pain during intercourse, the UTI-like symptoms, and my low sex drive. However, I still believe a lot has to do with hormone changes from Seasonique, which is why I insisted upon trying a different BC.

I'm going to try modifying my diet a little based on the info from their website. I'll make another post in a few weeks to let you know how it's going!
OMG!
I have the exact same thing!
-odd little tears in my vagna flaps,
-creamy discharge that goes crusty in undies,
-it is more noticeable right before period otherwise i rarely notice it
-etc

I live in a a changing climate, sexualy active with my partner, and I dont have any std's NOR AM  I ON THE PILL. never have. I noticed that alot of other women with this problem have used birth control. hmm. if you're wondering why its because my partner is sterile. I've never had children or an abortion. I've been experiencing this annoyance for at least 4 years, am 22 and my dr's dont seem to know sh*t either.
-I've also tried several different types of luberacants- no different effect
-on advice from dr I tried thrush treatments. -works on discharge for a small while- then it comes back
-I'm am relatively fit, eat as healthy as I can. I weigh on  average 50kl
and am almost 5/ 3"
-I also experience adominal pain for very brief periods of time only once a while (1time in two weeks maybe?)
-also, I've experienced the creamy discharge thing even before becoming  sexually active

I've read almost every post here, so maybe these details may help with research.
It really depends what is causing your symptoms...If it is because of  thin skin or vaginal dryness it could be caused by a hormone problem. If not, it could be an immune disorder called Reiter's Syndrome or Behcet's Syndrome. I would definitely want a biospy and cultures done. I have Behcet's Syndrome that causes cuts mainly in the same place over and over again. If it is a fissure caused by continued diarrrea you might get better if you get that treated. There are many different things...The main thing is you see the doctor and get started on figuring out what this is exactly. Cortisone cream will help if this is related to an immune disorder. Hormone creams might work for dry fragile skin. The main question right now is why is it happening. Do you have any other symptoms...arthritis, bladder or bowel problems or anything like that? With Behcet's Syndrome your immune system is weakened which can cause yeast infections, thrush, all those kinds of things. It may be years before you have enough symptoms to say for sure what it is exactly.
If you are having genital lesions "cuts" repeatedly for no known reason like scratching, it is the first symptom of an autoimmune disorder called Behcet's Syndrome. I developed this problem when I was 15 and I had never been sexually active. Behcet's Syndrome is not contagious and it does not run in families. It happens to people when their immune system is damaged by something in the enviroment, some researches think it may be caused by the strep throat infection. With Behcet's you wouldn't be able to know if you have it from any test. The symptoms are often vague and doctors in America no very little about it although it's the world's oldest known disease. You can visit the American Bechet's Disease Association Website for more information. Read through the messages on the public form, but remember it's only worst cases posting there. Most people with Behcet's are doing fine and are too busy with their lifes to write there. People don't usually die from Behcet's, but they do need to rest and take better care of themselves than other people do. They have to avoid stress to keep their immune systems from freaking out. They say it is really rare in the U.S., but that is very much not true. People who have it, often go many years or even their whole lives, before they develop enough other symptoms like arthritis, and eye inflammation to be diagnosed. Even when all the symptoms are present doctors have a hard time diagnosing this disease because there are no tests to prove it. The thing is to keep a look out for these in the future if they continue to happen. The criteria for Behcet's is vaginal ulcers, cuts, or inflammation, etc., and canker sores in the mouth at least three times per year. Years later you may develop some inflammation in your eyes. These are the things to look for, but they can be much more vague than your doctors may imagine. Chances are your doctors don't know much about this disease so it's up to you to keep an eye on things down there and report any symptoms you have right away.
I am 24 years old and I have been dealing with this problem since I was 15 years old. At first it started out having yeast like infections very often (up to 3 times a month), but after having children it has reduced the skin around, in and on my vagina to little paper cuts and open sores EVERYWHERE! Like everyone here, I have been tested for all STD's regularily and have been with the same partner for many years. When my first son was born they did not cut me but instead let me rip and tear naturally. The cut was jagged and messy and required 7 stiches on the inside of my vagina and opening. After my third was born I had to go to emergency days after getting home with bloody open cuts and wounds all of the way from my vagina opening to my anus. I since then have had this problem. It comes and goes, although the majority of the time it is commonly a week before my period and lasts for a few days after it is gone. It is EXTREME pain, unimaginable. The cuts sting and burn when I go pee, and in the summer with the added heat, it is almost all summer long that I endure the constant pain. My GYNO has no answers and I was even frozen with Nitrous Oxide to freeze burn access tissue off of my ripped uterous.

I have used diaper rash creams, the new chafing cream from Monistat, hydrocortisol cream, vaseline, KY, different types of topical creams, etc,etc, yeast infection pills still seem to work the best, but it always comes back.

I am only 24 and I no longer have a sex life or drive. The thought of having sex drives me to insane thoughts of the extreme pain that it may or may NOT cause.  I have went without sex also for a couple of months and there was absolutely no difference.  Do I have to live like this for the rest of my life??!! Please someone out there find a cure!!
My symptoms also started at 15. After having two children, my symptoms got a lot worse.  The stress of my relationship, the pregnancies, the births, and caring for my children all pushed my flares out of control. See before, I was able to handle it a little better,  I was able to avoid a lot of the stress that I can't avoid now. For instance, as a teenager, I slept a lot. I took it easy. People just took me for being semi-lazy, probably self centered. I was the black sheep in the family. My mom even sent me to a shrink that said I was bi-poler. Well I'm not, I never was, I just couldn't explain why sometimes I was really tired and felt like ****. I was misdiagnosed with herpes simplex at 15 and when I told my mom she just assumed that's what I had and she looked down at me for it. I hate my mother because she completely ignored me and my problems.

So stress in our lives is the main thing that sets off a flare. Other things like common illnesses, injuries, surgeries, like the birthes, will trigger flares. After surgery, the body will want to keep attacking that area, as though it thinks it doesn't belong to it. Doctors recommend anyone with an autoimmune disorder take prednisone right before surgery to keep this from happening. What are you taking for your yeast infections? You need to get your system under control. It's very important to take a mult-vitamin everyday and learn ways to control stress. Also try digestive advantage from the drug store and a high quality pau d' acro inner bark extract to get your yeast infections and immune system under control. After a while you will become resistant to prescription yeast treatments if you keep using them. Also, you may have a yeast that is already resistant to treatment. Pau D' Acro treats 11 different types of yeast including several species resistant to your doctors and pharmacies treatments. Ask your doctor to test you for the drug resistant yeast species. There is a test for this besides just the normal test for a yeast infection. Make sure they are doing all the tests they can. You can e mail me at ***@**** I have a mountain of advice I can share. You can get this under control.
Have you had any other symptoms? Muscle pain, fatique. Have you had problems or have you ever been tested for bacterica vaginosis? This can happen along with the yeast infections. It just means your PH balance is off. The first step is clearing up the yeast an possibly BV, adusting your PH balance and getting yourself the nutrition you need to get better. You need orange juice or fruit, stay away from all other sugars. Stay away from white bread. Exercising is also very important, these things will help to control your flares. During times of stress you many need an immune suppressant from a Rheumatologist, so I would find one of these doctors who is willing to keep an eye on your symptoms. Have you ever had a slightly elevated white blood cell count? This is the only thing that shows up on tests in regards to these attacks. Most of the time nothing shows up. Doctors don't like this disease because they have no tests for it. You can imagine with things like this, there are a lot of people in this world, just like my mom, that think if you look normal, than you must be normal. If the tests say your fine, you must be lying or crazy. That if you are a good person, than nothing bad is going to happen to you. You are young and it's them, not us, that has to be worried about health. That we couldn't possibly know something that they don't. It took me fifteen years and a least one hundred doctors before I finally found someone who knew anything about this. It's really hard getting any answers.
If you do all of the things above, you will feel like having sex again. Gential to Gential contact causes flares even if you've been with the same person for years. Basically flares are allergic type reactions. Using condoms (make sure your not allergic to them), will keep you from having a reaction from sex.
I FOUND A CURE...
I'd been suffering with the same symptoms as all of you, and had tried all the same remedies. Nothing worked. Then after mowing for three hours, I had a huge flareup. It was so bad I thought I was going to have to go the emergency room. In addition to the usual rips and tears, my skin looked like it had been boiled or burned and was sloughing off. So in desperation spent the next few hours searching the Web.

You know what causes our symptoms? JOCK ITCH! Seriously, that's it. A fungal infection. Seems it's more common among women these days because we spend more time in gyms and/or sweating. That, combined with nylon underwear and panty liners that stay damp, plus the extra weight we all seem to carry, means our nether regions never dry out. It's a perfect breeding ground for the fungus.

So get a can of Cruex, or any of the other "made for jock itch" sprays and give it a try. It stings a tiny bit the first time you use it, but actually has anti-itch and pain med in it. My less serious spots were cleared up in two days, and the more serious spots a couple of days after that.

Be sure to follow the instructions and use it twice a day for 2 weeks or it'll come back. And wash yourself and change your underwear a couple of times per day. You might try sleeping without panties too.

Sure hope this helps you as much as it did me!

And the next time visit the doctor, tell him if it worked for you. For such smart people, they sure can be dumb.
You could have "jock itch" particularly if you are athletic and do a lot of sweating. How long have you been getting the cuts? Do you think you have a yeast infection (which is basically the same thing), a fungal infection, but there are many different species of fungus. Some are harder to get rid of than others. You should ask to be tested for all of them. If you don't ask, they might just test you and treat you for just the most common yeast species. Jock itch is often spread by coming in contact with a certain species of fungus. I am just wondering if you had any cuts before the infection and if you will have any more after it. First, get this infection under control. Make sure you ask a doctor if you are using the right medication. Jock-itch medications from the drug store cannot be used internally. Most likely, your infection is also internal so the doctor has prescriptions they can give you to properly treat it. If you are sexually active, your partner should also be treated. Yeast and other fungal infections that don't clear up with proper treatment or continue to appear are a sign that you have a damaged immune system and that the cuts may be part of the disease process that has made you vunerable to these infections. How good is your nutrition? Do you take a mult-vitamin and eat healthy? If not, this is most likely what has done it.
No, it is not a yeast infection. I'm 52 years old and I know a yeast infection when I have one. No, it is not internal. I have no discharge or abnormal smell. What I have is super-sensitive skin that tears and itches. My nutrition is fine. I had the problem for about 2 months, for the first time in my life.

The bottom line is this... the problem cleared up within days of starting the over-the-counter fungus treatment. No itching, no tears, no problems having sex, no problem wiping.

And, there's no down side to trying it. It's approved for external use, costs about $6.00, and is as simple as spraying your nether regions twice a day. Sure beats spending hundreds on doctors and tests that, as many here have stated, can't pinpoint the problem.

If you try it and it doesn't work, THEN go back to the doctors.
Definitely, it's worth ruling things out, that's the only way to figure it out. For me, I was tested for everything under the sun regularly. I've had my cuts on and off for years with or without any type of yeast infection or fungus infecton present. I have been tested for everything and according to blood work, I'm in perfectly health, but in reality I have a very serious auto-immune disorder called behcet's syndrome. Behcet's is diagnosed by symptoms only. There are no blood tests to tell if you have it. It's not genetic, it happens because of improper nutrition which made us vunerable to something, possbily a virus that they have yet to identify.  Research the failure of the Polio Vaccine, for more information about the monkey viruses we have been exposed to and are still being exposed to, and how that also has caused the babyboomer generation and the generations that followed to become far sicker than they should have, even after factoring in all other possible reasons for these occurances. Fungus, if you were infected with it, would be most attracted to the moistest places and spread out from there. I am not confident that you would have this infection on the out side, without it being on the inside. Have you had your hormone levels checked, your symptoms could be related to the change. Another thing to remember is that food no longer contains enough nutriants to substain us due to the over cultivation of crops. Without a multi-vitamin, it's almost impossible to get what you need everyday. Vitamins are your bodies best defense against all illnesses.
There is no doubt that nutrition, or lack thereof, is the root of many health problems. That's why we moved back to the country. I grow and can many of my own vegetables, buy organic whenever possible, and only use the eggs we get from our own hens. In a another year or so, our apple, pear, lemon, and nectarine trees will be producing as well. I don't use chemical fertilizers... we have more than enough chicken poop to feed the garden. We don't smoke and have about 6 alcoholic drinks per year. We have vitamins and supplements out the wazoo. I'm taking a probiotic multivitamin plus.

We've gone back to real butter, gave up teflon-coated cookware and most plastics, and don't have more than the ocassional soft drink. Heck, when I have time, I even make our own bread... with organic, whole grain flour. All things considered, I think we're living a healthier lifestyle than most.

And no, I'm not starting the change. God help me, my periods are regular as clockwork. (I am SO looking forward to menopause.)
Please stop using Premarin!!! It is very cruel to the horses. Plus it comes from PREgnant MARe urINe, hence the name. The mares are kept pregnant constantly, and when they give birth to the countless foals, the foals are fattened then sold to slaughterhouses. There is no need to be aiding these barbaric farms. In fact, I am blown away that people still use it! Especially when there are so many other forms of hormone replacement therapy that are natural and cruelty-free. The quality of life for these animals is so low, it is very sad. PLEASE educate yourself and STOP USING PREMARIN!
i also have this problem, and am so glad to find this site and see that other women feel this pain. my fiance thinks i do not want to be sexually active with him, and we have had 5 years of a great sex life. Just in the past few months i have had painful intercourse, to the point that I cannot enjoy or want it anymore. I went to the Dr. and he said i had yeast infection (which i get recurrently) and i am taking Diflucan once a month for 3 months, which helped last time. I stayed away from sex about 3 weeks to heal and now we had sex and it is like the tears all came out of the shadows again. My doctor just says to put on steroid cream, but that doesnt help!
I am 24 year old female. Have recurrent yeast infections. do not use condoms, use lubrication, am on birth control, have HPV.
I am going to try to get diaper cream to fix it and thank you for that advice.
If anyone finds a cure, or answer, I would love to know.
It is very hard to be 24 and not have a desire for sex in your great relationship in fear of the pain it will cause. I do also have the pain during urination, as it goes over the cuts. How long does it take for them to heal??! It's frustrating, and so annoying that doctor's don't know the answer.
For now I suggest, and will try on my own, using diaper cream, loose underwear, gentle detergent, and talk to my fiance  about the soap he uses, or any other thing that may be affecting him, since men don't talk, maybe talk to your partner and ask if he has irritation. ...

I hope we find answers soon....
Wow...this has never happened to me before...I just finished my period (I also switched birth control pill to Yasmine about 5 months ago) and then had sex...at first I thougth the bleeding was from my period..but it was the wrong color...I had sex again and bled again and it killed...I was sore and kinda itchy and peeing killed...so i got some hydrocortizone and it made it feel worse..so i got a yeast infection treatment...the itchy part has mostly cleared up but the cuts ( i looked with a mirror..looked liek it does when you bite the inside of your cheek with small cuts) are killing me. I'm 25 and have been active since I was 17..nothing like this has ever ever happened to me and I've had rougher/dryer sex than this before...i can't believe doctors don't know anything about this..don't theyhave internet too??  But I'm HOPING mine was due to a yeast infection and some fragility from my period..in the meantime I'm going to try switching soaps and the vitamin E.. Thanks so much for all of the suggestions.
Hi ladies,

Like everyone else I've been looking for answers.  I'm confused about 1 thing though- I'm not sure if I have the same kind of cut.  Mine is vertical starting right at the bottom of the vaginal opening (i.e. in perineum area)- but the skin has actually been split apart (going about 3/4cm down).  It looks a little bit like if you took a pair of scissors *shudders* and like snipped at the bottom of your vaginal opening to make it bigger or something.  

I have had this prob for LONG time (this is first time I noticed this big a split though) and wondered if it could be caused by some kind of physical damage  from when I was sexually abused as a 3-year old (one incident was quite severe and I remember bleeding afterwards).

Any ideas? Anyone else have this kind of issue?
I don't know if this helps but my OBGYN thought it could be associated with bacterial vaginosis. I was treated with flagyl (oral) but there is a gel form that I want to try. For now I am using neosporin with pain reliever. it helps. i still have a small tear about my clit...horrible place! this has all happened within the last 3 weeks. still interested in hearing what other doctors have recommended.
i am a mother of a 12yr old daughter that has tears in her vaginal area all the time she says that she also gets them between her vaginal area and her butt. she has a discharge all the time and it is causing her alot of pain. i dont know what is going on with my daughter but it is starting to scare me. im her step mom but i consider myself to be her mom but the thing is it seems like the tears are always worse when she comes back home from being at her moms and grannys house for a weekend visit can anyone help me PLEASE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1
Blimey!! I can't believe there are soo many women with this problem! I really thought I might be the only one..
It's soo frustrating getting these cuts/tears down there. I've been with my boyfriend for nearly five years and only in the last year this problem has occured. It's soo annoying when you want to have sex or are having sex and it's too painful to carry on. I feel bad for my boyfriend but I don't know what to do. I'm too embarassed to go to the doctor. Looks like they probably wouldn't be able to do anything about it anyway. If anyway finds anything out please let me know.. Thanks
HELLO LADIES,
PLAIN AND SIMPLE, MOST OF YOU PROBABLY DONT HAVE HERPES OR HPV. ITS AN IMBALANCE OF THE VAGINA, EITHER YEAST INFECTIONS OR BACTERIAL VAGINOSIS. THESE ISSUES IN ADDITION TO BIRTH CONTROL PILLS CAUSE THINNING OF THE VAGINAL SKIN. MY BEST RECOMMENDATION IS TO GO TO A DOCTOR, AND DISCUSS YOUR OPTIONS. IF U DOCTOR IS AN IDIOT LIKE MINE  GO TO A DRUGSTORE AND GET A HOME YEAST TESTING KIT. OTHERWISE THEIR  ARE A FEW THINGS THAT YOU CAN DO, ALWAYS USE LUBRICATION, KEEP THE AREA CLEAN AND DRY, GET A GOOD CUT TREATMENT LIKE POLYSPORIN, HEY EVEN TRY YOGURT, ITS A HOME REMEDY FOR YEAST INFECTIONS. BASICALLY THE PROBLEM NEEDS TO BE CURED FROM THE INSIDE OUT. AS FOR THE QUICK FIX FLAGYL I NEVER HAD TEARS UNTIL I USED THAT MEDICATION AND ALLESSE! I GUESS IT THREW MY HORMONES AND PH LEVELS OFF.
GOOD LUCK LADIES!
I have just posted a solution which for the very issue you are writing about..

Doctors and OB/GYN.. only offer more drugs more invasive surguries..
The tearing/nerve damage and the scarring from birthing or sex can be helped through the use of Castor OIL... It dissoves scar tissues and heals nerve damage.. It used to be called Palma Christi... 18 years of painful intercourse which only seem to have worsened and now I am at that point that my husband wants me to please let him have a "girlfriend".. .. there has to be a solution.
Saw a physical therapist who is working with me and she uses the "Mayan Abdominal Massage" technique.. which is helping... in so many ways.. also gave me this bit about Castor Oil.. I have been using it and only after 1 week I am seeing such great results.. Just too easy for the doctors to tell us and doesn't cost anything!   Try it out and let me know if you have the same results.  I have been seen by so many doctors for this pain, the gave me creams that burned, painful shot to numb that area.. just so depressing... Had the best best sex for years with my husband and now it is "nil"..
I am working on this method and for now it I am really seeing progress. there is HOPE for this to heal and I am certain I am on the right track. Getting closer ... Would love to hear back if anyone has success using this method.... It is soothing... I somehow believe that our lifestyles have the PH balance too acidic.. Very important to strive to get you PH more alkaline.. this is from my personal experience..
I am 38 also. Please post an update. I see a huge parallel with your sympt. and mine. I have been living with this on and off sense 2001, but the cervicitis that could've been the first stage since '97. In '01 the Dr. gave Mytrix cream. I guess it went away them, or i would've gone back... Hard to remember that far.. then in 02 Dr did shotgun approach. elocin crm .1 % (antiinflamitory); Diclofenacer tab 100 mg (antiinflamitory); Cleoncin vag ovule 100 mg (bacterial suppository), and after a week called me back with a amoxocillin 500mg for the strep they found in the smear... It is dificult to realize that I was fighting the same issue. And I don't have great notes.. This time in '08 I didn't want to go with the shot gun approach, wanted to "solve the issue." I think I changed soap, detergent and shampoo around the same time, (not totally sure-not something I log...), and happen to have 2 kids in diapers now, (stress), Do have the discharge, no smell, sit a lot more with "good posture," to help my back, but creates a little heater between my legs. I don't work out regularly, used to wear unsented pads often, because of the discharge, no "T" back underware, Please ; - ), the fissure goes away quickly when it is going to go away. I eat a lot of yogurt, not very much sugar, relitively good eater... lots of cheese. Thought it had something to do with fiber, gas, bowel movements, hormones, hydration, stress... tested negative for everything so far. dermatologist says skin is affected by stress... duah everything is! Anyhow I am tired of it and I can not find a pattern. So I am ready to resume the shotgun approach...percribe it all Doc.!! OH, I am not having periods, because I am a breast feeding mother of a 11 month old, another reason I am waiting a bit longer for all of the meds. My hormones should be whacked out naturally, but i had this before the kids, and I was on hormones a long time in my life 20-33+/- I went off of them to feel my body... I'll have to cross reference the years to see if that is when the "rip" occurred.  That's what we call it...Please give an update and I'd be happy to answer questions if you have any that could help find more commonality...
Anyone know of a good Gynecologist in the San Diego area that isn't just going to try to have me tested for herpes again or ask me if I wear thongs that are too tight??  I'm in desperate need of a Dr that can help!
Sorry for the long post, I just want to be as detailed as possible. About a week ago I had sex with a new partner. Part of the time we were unprotected, and I wasn't lubricated properly for part of it as well. I knew at the time there was some stretching and tearing, as it stung quite a bit immediately after sex when urinating.

The severe sting when urinating subsided a bit after a day or two, but I was still feeling some general soreness/discomfort where I had torn/stretched. At day 4 I went for a brisk hour long walk and noticed afterwards increased discomfort. The next day I woke up with bright red blood from the same area I had torn a little during sex, and I was in further discomfort. Things were just feeling very raw/swollen/irritated.

I took a bath and looked at myself with a mirror and where I had stretched/torn I saw several cuts. I wouldn't describe them as blisters, they looked more like canker sores - like white - the same as if you bit your lip and it tried to heal. They were to the side of my vaginal opening, and then there was one big one right on the inside of my vaginal opening. It was really stinging.

I figured that I had some abrasions from the sex that were now irritated or possibly infected but went to the doctor to be safe. She took one look and immediately stated that it was herpes. I was a bit surprised by this because I didn't think I could contract herpes and have stinging on that area immediately after intercourse but she was adamant that it's herpes.

I asked for a swab to be done, which she almost seemed put out to do, but convinced her to do it. I'm reading on this forum that a lot of people seem to have been told it's herpes when it's not. I'm now in this horrible waiting stage for a week for results.

That doctor's visit was two days ago and I feel like the pain is getting worse. It's incredibly raw/sore and a little scratchy and I'm worried that if it's not herpes I'm not being treated for whatever it actually is.

I'm terrified that I've contracted herpes, but to me that just doesn't add up. Here are some other facts:

-I switched BCP to Yasmin in the last few months, and this is the first time I've had sex since switching
-I use dove soap and wash my genitals with that
-This was just following the holidays in which I'd say yeast/sugar intake had increased for the previous 10 days or so

As of today, it feels almost like the pain is back to what it was like immediately after sex- the severe stinging is back when urinating (not from the urethra but from where the urine touches the area).

I'm intrigued by the yeast comments. I don't seem to have a yeast infection in that whenever I've had one there's quite a bit of discharge, and I am not experiencing that, although the discomfort at times mirrors a yeast infection.

I was planning on starting a cleanse (Wild Rose Herbal D-Tox) but was afraid it would aggravate the situation (in reading up on herpes boards it says that any cleansing can trigger or aggravate an outbreak). However, if it's NOT herpes maybe the cleanse could help?

Any thoughts or comments would be appreciated as I'm really worked up over this and terrified I have herpes.
Hi everyone I'm Blossom

I can relate to all of you. Whenever I have sex with my man it's great until my perineum (skin between the vagina and anus) breaks (it tears). I would get two or three cuts. I have been with my man for a year and this started happening four months ago. The cuts are very painful  every time I had to urinate. The cuts would take about four to five days to heal. I went to the doctor he did a million test and everything came out negative. The doctor reccommenede that I have to let it heal completely. He said no sex for three weeks (I know 3 weeks!!!). He also noticed I have a bacteria and prescribed a Metronidazole Vaginal Gel. For my cuts he prescribed a cream (or ointment if they do not have the cream) by the name of Gentamicin Sulfate Ointment/Cream. I put it on my perineum only and the next day no visible cuts and what's best no pain when I went to the bathroom. It looks completely healed but i have to return to the doctor office in a week so he can take alook. So far so good. The only bad part is the three weeks without sex but if this mean no more cuts hey i can be without sex for three months. I will keep in contact. Ask your doctor about the Gentamicin Sulfate Ointment/Cream.
I have a situation similar to many of yours.  Starting with my current boyfriend, who is certainly not the largest man I've ever been with, I have started getting a single tear just to the side of my vaginal opening every time we have sex.  It's always exactly in the same place and happens no matter how lubricated I am either naturally or with products.  When I look at the spot with a mirror the next morning, I see the same thing every time.  It looks as if the spot has been torn open and then rubbed raw.  Sometimes it's better than others.  It may be just a tiny cut that bleeds a little, or it could look severely rubbed and resembles a canker sore.  I have gone to my OBGYN who has looked at the spot and says it is definitely trauma to the skin and not herpes, despite how it sometimes looks.  The fact that it is clearly caused by sex, occurs in the same place every time and heals within a few days confirms that it is not an STD of any sort.

In addition to the tear itself, I am now starting to get a yeast infection a day or so after the cut opens.  My doctor says that can happen due to the broken skin and trauma which upsets the vaginal balance.  

She has nothing to recommend other than making sure I'm "ready" before I have sex.  It's very frustrating.  I love sex and have never had issues before.  Now I'm suffering every single time.
About 6 years ago I didn't have yeast infections, now they happen ALL the time.  2 things changed 6 years ago, I started using birth control pills and started having sex with my then boyfriend now husband.  I would swtich out using monistat, diflucan, etc.  I seemed to be immune.  I guess they, temporarily cured it, but they would just would just keep coming back the very next week.  I seriously had like a constan