Varicose Veins in Vaginal Area, any advice?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I hate to ask this, may be tmi, sorry gals, but I am at a total loss on this one.  After BDing last Saturday with my husband, I had terrible throbbing and pain.  It hurt to close my legs.  Later when I checked to see what was going on, I was so swollen and had bulging veins at the vaginal opening.  I also had scar tissue from my tearing that was right at the opening, looked like I had tissue falling out.  It's not pretty and still hurts, I called my Dr. first thing Monday morning and they pretty much told me what I feared, varicose veins.  They offered to have me come in earlier for a check up but I was told that there is nothing that can be done, short of icing it and keeping off of my feet some.  Anyone ever experience this?  It seems to be better during the day, but I stand all day long and by the time I get home I am so swollen and sore, and I'm only 24 weeks 2 days.  I still have a long ways to go and was told it probably will not go away.  I did have a discomfort already to the area where I had my episiotomy and tearing, my son was large and did a lot of damage when he was born (he was worth it though).  My Dr. was a little concerned that I was experiencing discomfort already and had mentioned possibly sending me back to see the physical therapist.  I have kept up on my exercises, but thought that was bad enough, not really sure what to do about this now.  Any advice or experience from this would really be appreciated.
Tags: varicose, vaginal, Pregnancy, Hope, Pain, scar, s, Health, Varicose veins, varicose vein, Women, Womens Health
Maybe this will make u feel better :) I just had Jordan about 2.5 wks ago & I didn't tear or have ant stiches (he was almost 7lbs & w/ my first son I tore & had stiches that still bothered me & he was only 5lbs & 7oz)
I had scar tissue coming out too (mine had no feeling though) the Dr cut that scar tissue out right after Jordan was born so I'm so glad for it to be gone bc the further along pg I got the worse it came out YUCK I know, but now it's gone & the veins don't hurt now (hopefully they r fading or going away) LOL so Good Luck!!!
I wanted to offer u hope of not tearing or being sewn up, I had such a faster recovery time w/ no stitches, I didn't have to take any pain meds after he arrived & I never filled my prescr. once I came home!! Hope this helps!!!
4got to add when I got to about 30 wks I didn't feel as much pressure or pain (odd bc u'd think it would get worse but it got better)
Thank you so much and congrats on your new baby!  I'm hoping for no stitches, my son was over 10 lbs. and I tore through the episiotomy through to my rectum.  My Dr. went on vacation right after he was born and the oncall ER Dr. discharged me, without any pain meds, even though my Dr. had told me that she wanted me to take something for awhile due to the trauma of the area.  (The other Dr. never even checked my stitches, he told me I was fine and had just given birth and was not sick, I would be fine.  Totally made me cry.)  I did tell my Dr. about this experience and she has assured me that it won't happen again.  Anyway, I feel better about the scar tissue thing, it looks awful and freaks me out a little.  They have removed it before with silver nitrate (I believe that's what they used).  It keeps reappearing, but they told me that they would do some repair work after this one is born too.  I hope the veins go away too, did yours stay the whole time after they showed up?  I'm way too nervous and uncomfortable the bd with my husband and feel bad, I still have  over 3 months to go, and after my son it took 6 months till I felt even well enough to try.  Anyway, thanks for your response, it did make me feel better.
Mine stayed thru out the pg once it showed but I just got brave & checked again & it's not on top of the skin now (u know how if u make a fist how your veins look, thats how it looked during pg) now u can hardly tell, maybe in a little more time it'll be totally gone :)LOL Good Luck!!!!
Thanks!  I totally know what you are saying.  Hopefully yours will be just a memory...as for me, I guess I get to wait it out, but it's still worth it.  You made me feel so much better!
I have had 3 children (girls) and with my 3 pregnancy had vulval veins all the way through. It hurt to just stand up, and i couldn't do any excersize which made me pack on the weight. My youngest is nearly 5 and at every period and sometimes 1/2 way through my cycle i still get the vulval swelling etc. I hope this isn't the case for you as it is awful. Hope this helps.
Had horrible vaginal varicose veins. Soak in bath tub as much as possible. If you have to be on your feet all day-there is a belt like "contraption" that applies pressure to the area and does help with the throbbing some. Keep your legs elevated as much as possible too. Also- My doctor didn't tell me about this..but I found maternity spanx and they actually help with the throbbing too-as well as hiding bulges :) Good news is they go away after birth. Mine were completely gone and my vascular surgeon said mine were the worst he'd ever seen. And sad to say-sex always hurt. But again-better after delivery! Good luck.
Hiya im 29 weeks pregnant and have just started with vaginal veins. They look terrible!! and so swollen, my doctor was very un sympathetic to me and basically said get on with it. I to had to be cut and had my daughter delivered with forceps and had problems after birth, im dreading the same or worse happening with this one.
me too, it'smy 4th pregnancy and i'm 34 , first 3 pregnancies were pretty smooth all boys but this one i have vericose veins on my entire right leg and vaginal veriscose i discovered today, it is soo painful,  doc gave me meds and elastic contraption and i can bear standing and walking longer but it is roguh and i'm only halfway there...my 1.5 and 3 year old  are with me so im always on the run or picking the little one up and it adds so much pressure it's unbearable ..from what i understood they can be removed? thanx so nice to know im not alone!
I am 28 weeks preganant with my third child and the vericose veins in my vaginal area have been hurting for about 2 months. I never got them with my first pregnancy no problems or complications. With my second pregnancy I got them as well as major swelling of the the legs and feet and high blood pressure. Everything turned out fine and my son was healthy. It feels as though the veins have gotten worse this time. Seems to be more swelling and pain. Not likely they will go away but hopefully they will lessen soon. Good Luck All!