Women's Health Community
Very Scared Endometrial Cells Found In Pap Test My Mother Died ...
About This Community:

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Font Size:
A
A
A
Background:
Blank
Blank
Blank
Blank Blank

Very Scared Endometrial Cells Found In Pap Test My Mother Died Of Uterine Cancer In Just 4 Months After Diagnosis At 49!

Subj: Scared Endometrial Cells On My Pap Test My Mother Died Of Uterine Cancer Age 49!  
Date: 8/8/2008 4:34:49 PM Eastern Daylight Time
To: ***@****

I   have  posted  a  lot  on  the  thyroid  disorders  forum  about  my  3   small  thyroid  nodules  that were  found   by  accident  in  Ocober 2006  on  an  ultrasound  I  asked  for  because  I   had  always  thin  all of  my  life  and  my  metabolism  got  very  slow   and  I  had  to  go  on  a   diet  for  the  first  time in  my  life  and  my  thyroid  blood  tests   have  always  been  normal. I  had  an FNA  on June  24th  by  a  very  good  endo  and   I   had  my  samples  sent to  another  pathologist  at  a  top  hospital  University  of  Penn  for  a second  opinion  and   both  pathologists  didn't  see  any  cancer  and   the second  pathologist  says  he  does  recommend  clinical  follow  up  for these  nodules  and   another  FNA  if  any of  them  grow.

I  do  have  some  of  the  ultrasound  features  that  are  commonly  found  with  thyroid  cancer  and   The  American  Association  of   Clinical  Endocrinologists  says that  FNA  is  only   95%   accurate  and   I   know  it's  not  as  easy  to  get  a  great  sample  when the  nodules  especially  my  other  2  or  this  small. So  now  after   almost   2   years  of   being  so  afraid  about  this  and  reading  a  lot  of  scary  medical  information  about  thyroid  cancer  which  The  National Cancer  Institute  and  The  American  Thyroid  Association  reports  has  increased  especially   in  women, and   they  are  finding  an  increase in  very  small  papillary  thyroid  cancers  often  picked  up  like  mine  were  by  accident  on   ultrasounds  and  other  imaging  tests  and   communicated  with  many  thyroid  cancer  survivors  some  of  which  had recurrences, and  having  the  thyroid  FNA,  I  now  have  to  have  a  uterine  biopsy  on   August   28  and  my stepmother  is  taking  me  to  her  gynocologist  for  it.

I   had  a  Pap  test  on  July  24th  and  a  week  later  my  gynocologist  calls  me and  tells  me  that  endometrial cells  were  found  on  my  Pap  test!  I  asked  her  what  does  this  mean   I'm  really  scared  because  my  own  mother  died  of  uterine cancer  on  September 1, 1985  in  just  4  months  after  being  diagnosed  at  the  age  of  49!  My  gynocologist  didn't  even  tell  me  or  explain  that  much  and  all she  said  was  it  happens  sometimes  and  that  if   I  was  under  40  we could just  ignore it,  but  because  I'm  43  she  is  required  to  do  a biopsy.She  said  it  might  have  happened  because  my  period  had  ended  2  days  before. But  my internist  said  that   it's  not  very  common  for  this  to  happen  and  that  other women  have  Pap  tests  near  the  end  of  their periods  but  endometrial  cells don't  usually  show  up  in  their  Pap tests.

I  have also  been spotting  reddish  browinish blood  for about  3  or  4  days  at  a  time  in  between my  period  off  and  on  since  the  Fall  of  2005  and  it  happened again   in  March  and  April and  I  have  been  getting  my  period  since  I  was  12  and  half  but  I  never  had  any  spotting  in  between  my  period before. I  also have  never  been pregnant  and  I   have  never  used  birth  control  pills  and  I  know  that  these  are  also  risk  factors  for  endometrial  uterine cancer.

I  have  found  women  on other  health  boards  who  also  had  endometrial  cells  in  their  Pap  tests  and  they  are  really  worried  too  but   they  didn't  say  they  had  any  family  members  especially   their  mother  who  had  and  or  died   from  uterine  cancer  so   I'm  doubly  afraid!   I   have  found   many  very  good  medical  studies  on  great  academic  medical  sites  like  the  journal  of   Obstetrics  and Gynecology  and  discussions  on OBGYN.net  where  both  gynocologists  and  patients   have   discussions  and   there   and  they  say  that  it's  not  very  common  for   endometrial  cells  to  show  up  on  Pap  tests   but  it's  not   rare  either  especially   towards  the  beginning  or  end  of   a   woman's  period  and  that   it  does  happen  sometimes  and  most  of  the  time  it's  not  uterine  cancer  in  menstrating  women  but  is  more  often cancer  in  postmenapausal  women   but   also  if   there  is  other   symtoms (symptoms)  like  vaginal  bleeding. But  they  also  say  that  one  of  the  causes  of  endometrial  cells  showing  up  on  Pap  tests  is  because of  low  or  high grade  uterine  cancer! And  there  have  been  medical cases of  women  between  the  ages  of  40-50  who  had  normal  benign endometrial  cells  on their  Pap  test  and  they  had  endometrial  uterine  cancer!

From  the  time  my  mother died  I  have  asked   4   different  gynocologists  and  my  internist  if  uterine  cancer  is  genetic  and  if   I   have  to  worry  about  it, and  they  all  always  told  me  that  breast  cancer  is  more  commonly  genetic  but  that  uterine cancer  usually  isn't. Yet  I  spoke  with  a  woman  at  The  American  Cancer  Society  and  she  said  that  contrary  to   what  I   have  been  told  their  document  does  say  family  history  is  a  risk  factor  with  uterine  cancer. The  Women's  Cancer  Network  also  says  that  women  with  family  members  who  had  uterine  cancer  or  more  likely  to  get  it  and on  the  web  site of  the hospital  where  my  mother  died  they  talk  about  risk  factors  and  they  say  that  women  who  have  family  members  especially  a  mother  or  sister  who  had  uterine  cancer  or twice  as likely  to  get it!

So  I'm  very  afraid  and   I  wanted  to  know  from anyone on  here  who  has  had  a  uterine  endometrial  biopsy   if  it  hurts  that  bad.  And   I  would  really  appreciate  any  info  and   support  you  have  about  endometrial  cells  on  Pap tests.

Thank You