Visiting the gynecologist...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Visiting the gynecologist...

I am a 33-year-old woman with some gynecological problems.  I have only been to a gynecologist once in my life, and this was when I was 22 years old.  I had a pretty bad experience during my first exam, and never wanted to go back.  However, I need help, and I'm going to have to go again.

One problem for me is that I no longer have health insurance.  So, I will be going to a low cost provider.  I tend to think of these places as "getting you in and getting you out" without much chance for discussion.  What I want to know is if it is possible to schedule a short appointment just to talk to the doctor before setting an appointment for an exam.  I want to tell her exactly what is happening with me without being rushed, and also establish some trust between us because I am so afraid of going through another bad exam.  Would this be a strange request, or is it normal?

My problem is that I think I may have some hormonal problems or possibly PCOS.  I have many of the symptoms of PCOS, and I am desperate for help.  I also have lower abdominal pain frequently, as well as painful sex and frequent infections.  Something is wrong, I just don't know what exactly is happening.  And I am so afraid of going for an exam.
Tags: PCOS
One of the possibilities for your symptoms is of pelvic inflammatory disease. Pelvic inflammatory disease is inflammation of female reproductive organs (uterus, ovary, etc) and caused by viral, fungal, parasitic or most often bacterial infections. You need to go for blood test, urine test, histopathological examination and Ultrasound Pelvis. If the tests come positive, you have to undergo laproscopic diagnosis for confirmation. In any case, you need to immediately visit your gynecologist as this is a serious thing and can cause permanent problems such as infertility, spread of infection etc.

It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.