Was told to wait 3 years for pap smear- is this safe?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I was diagnosed with HPV in 2010 (abnormal, but not cancerous, pap).  It was the non-wart kind, so unfortunately it is the kind that is capable of causing cancer.  However I was only 20, so the doctor told me to wait and come back in 6 months to get it checked again.  6 months later, I went and my pap was normal.  I went again in 2011 and it was normal.  Then, the doctor told me I didn't need to come back for another 3 years because most likely the HPV had gone away.  I checked the CDC and it seems consistent with what my doctor said, but a friend of mine with HPV (in all fairness hers is far more dangerous, she's had precancerous cells) said that I should be going every year.

Two questions:

1.) Should I ignore my doctor and just go every year?
2.) It's been a year and a half since I last went.  Could I already have cancer, or does it take longer to develop?
Since you had negative paps following the positive pap, following the usual every three years routine should be fine.