Was told to wait 3 years for pap smear- is this safe?
I was diagnosed with HPV in 2010 (abnormal, but not cancerous, pap).  It was the non-wart kind, so unfortunately it is the kind that is capable of causing cancer.  However I was only 20, so the doctor told me to wait and come back in 6 months to get it checked again.  6 months later, I went and my pap was normal.  I went again in 2011 and it was normal.  Then, the doctor told me I didn't need to come back for another 3 years because most likely the HPV had gone away.  I checked the CDC and it seems consistent with what my doctor said, but a friend of mine with HPV (in all fairness hers is far more dangerous, she's had precancerous cells) said that I should be going every year.

Two questions:

1.) Should I ignore my doctor and just go every year?
2.) It's been a year and a half since I last went.  Could I already have cancer, or does it take longer to develop?
Since you had negative paps following the positive pap, following the usual every three years routine should be fine.