What can I take for gas pain during pregnancy!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Hi Ladies,
I am 9 weeks pregnant and I have TERRIBLE gas pain and I have to get some relief! My Dr. is out of the office this week. What is safe to take during pregnancy? I can't take this anymore! Anytime I eat ANYTHING I have stomach pain for hours. Any thoughts are appreciated!
Call a pharmasist and they will give you free advice on this!
Jackiemoo,

Thank you, but I already tried that and they told me that they can't recommend anything that they have because they are all class C (i think) drugs and may not be safe. I thought maybe somebody that has gone thru this has already asked their Dr and could let me in on the secret! LOL
i also had horrid gas and heartburn....good ol trusty tumms!!  also good for the calcuim.  that is what was suggested to me by my dr.  hope it helps
MSSAMPY-

A BIG THANK YOU TO YOU!!!! :)
your welcome!!   have a great pregnancy gas and heartburn free!!!   :)
I found that RENNIE tablets are great. But if you can't get them over there (as I'm in Australia so I don't know if you do) then I suggest some kind of anti-indigestion/flatulance tablet that is chewable and safe to take during pregnancy.
You have my empathy!  I am now 7 1/5 weeks pregnant and I have been cursed with terrible gas and gas craps and pain too.  I did some research online and found that Gas-X is safe....THANK GOODNESS!!!  I have copied the link and pasted it below for you!

Good luck and best wishes for a safe and happy (and gas free) pregnancy!

http://www.medicinenet.com/simethicone/article.htm
That article was helpful for me to see, but also confusing.  I am up at 12:30 in the morning with gas pain, and was googling around to see if I could take Gas-X, but I came across something that looked like I probably shouldn't take it.  The link for that site is I don't know what to make of all the conflicting data and diverse opinions.  I guess this is probably just the beginning though, right?  I mean, isn't motherhood all about sorting through lots of different opinions and hoping for the best?  Oh well, I just realized I don't have any Gas-X around the house anyway.  We'll see how I feel about it in the morning :-).  Best wishes to all of you!
When I was pregnat I took Gaviscon it really worked for hartburn and gas pain
its 6 am and i cant sleep i feel like im abt 2 pop from the darn gas, gas x & tums arent doing n e thing 4 me !!! :(
you ladies are lucky i jus took 2 gas x and it didnt do squat
I am about 8 weeks pregnant, and have the worst gas in history - my husband is about to leave.  :)  I did a lot of research, and haven't seen anything that says Gas-x is dangerous for pregnant women, so I bought some yesterday.  So far, it's worked very well.  I am going to ask my obgyn today if it is indeed safe, b/c I agree - there's conflicting information out there about all this stuff.  I think they caution pregnant women to take ANYTHING their first trimester, but I don't know if I can live without this relief right now. . .

Good luck all - I'll  let you know what I find out!
i'm glad i'm not alone. i'll be 8 weeks tomorrow with my second child.  when i wake up my stomach is flat as a board and as soon as i start eating (and i'm not over-eating or eating 'unhealthy') i start to get painfully bloated, cramps, and gas. by the time i go to bed my belly looks 20 weeks pregnant from all the air! it's so uncomfortable, i can barely stand it. i drink plenty of water and exercise almost daily... i think it might be from these prenantal vitamins. i don't want to take gas-x or anything, just want to vent. figuratively and literally!!
Tell me about it!! I'm dying of gas pain here!!!  TMI - I had to relieve myself at recess today when I was sitting alone outside while the kids played.  It helped get rid of some of the pressure.
Has any one tried plain old soda water with a pinch of salt and cumin powder??? Works a treat if you drink it straight away after you've poured it into the glass. Then you will burp and fart it all out within 20 mins. Or try Eno, water and cumin powder as it does the same thing .
I a'm 15 weeks and i have croans so my gas is awful even when i'm not pregnant but now i can't even stand up the pains are so bad don't now what i can take that would be safe?
Ok i am 7 weeks 2 days prego and have had cramps/pains since i found out i was preggy, what does gas pains feel like i have pains in my abdomen that i thought was cramps but i think its gas and constipation pains cuz i have pressure to even bare down to try to relieve some gas and i get some stabbing pains. I had sono today and the baby is fine i seen my peanut and its heartbeat for the first time today. What does your gas feel like, is is in your abdomen??
I am 10 weeks pregnant and have bad gas pain too.  I found during my first pregnancy that drinking some strong hot tea can help you to pass some of that excess gas.  Hope it works for you!
I know Tums is safe to take during pregnancy. I'm not sure about anything else.

Im a soon to be Dad and it may seem weird that Im the one to ask this but I came across this thread as I was searching for an aid for my wife whose now on her 7th month along the way and is having horrible cramps and gas pains, it was a relief to see that she's not alone but Im afraid I cant settle with just that as I want her to feel better and relieved since this will be our first baby and I want the experience to be something good for the both of us.

Thanks and regards to the Mommies,
Joseph
i'm 9 weeks pregnant and my husband is about fed up with me and with my hormones.he doesn't understand that i'm cranky,emotional,gassy,and i'm tired all the time instead he accuses me of being schizo because my emotions are all out of wack.please i need advice!
I'm 6 weeks pregnant and experiencing very similar gas cramps. A natural health practitioner tells me that getting a colonic might be the best solution. Apparently, pregnant women were advised to get colonics by obstetricians until the 1920s and 30s.  
I kno!!.. I'm 7 mnths myself n wake up at 4, 5, n 6 in the a.m!... Its really *****!! I run 2 the bathroom try 2 go boom boom n let out as much gas as I can!!... But when I lay down it jus starts all over!! :(... So I c every1s suggesting gas x so I might jus give it a try. Hope it wrks!! :)
I'm 11 wks and I've been in horrible pain with gas and bloating!!  Nothing has worked until now ....... try a cup of hot water with fresh squeezed lemon juice!!  Seriously, cut through the gas!!  First relief!!  Thank goodness!!!
I am 6weeks and 1 day preganant and I am haveing cramp like feelings and gas pain in my abdomonial and it comes and goes. What can I do to get rid of them. It goes away sometimes when I am sleeping on my left side it helps.
OMG it's 2:01am and I have horrible gas pains. It's so bad I'm feeling nauseous. The pains have me sweating.

Thank you one, thank you all for the Gas-X and the Tumms recommendation. I will go to the store tomorrow morning and purchase both.

This is ridiculous. During the day I burp like I'm a participant in a beer-belching contest, and at night, I think because of all the air I swallow, I have gas cramps that are simply debilitating. Two nights ago, I laid on the bathroom floor, happy for the cool tile against my face as the gas worked its way up into the most horrific of burps and then the most satisfying of bowel movements. And just like that, the pain was gone.

I went back to bed. My husband had no clue that I felt like dyeing on the bathroom floor.
how can you tell when its gas pain ?? I'm 15 weeks pregnant
I'm not sure if I'm pregnant or not yet, our fingers are crossed but I goggled this because by the evening, I look like I'm 8 or 9 months pregnant from gas! I'm imagine after reading all of these entries that it's only going to get worse, lol.  Uh-oh.  Okay, so what do you I do?!  Has anyone come across a sure fire way to get rid of the gas that isn't dangerous for baby? HELP! Hang in there ladies! (And some gents).
x0x0x0x
I am 4 weeks pregnant suffering from IBS  / spastic colon. I already look like I am 5 months pregnant and I am belching and farting however I am better prepared this time around = 2nd baby.
Tips:* light incense sticks in the office in the afternoon and at home in the evenings.It gets rid of the smell and i do not have to run to the loo every few minutes.
* Drink peppermint tea to ease flatulence. Works like a bomb..excuse the pun. Fennel tea works as well. If you like use a tea bag of green tea and one of cammomile tea ( for pain) I usually drink 2/3 cups a day.
*Drink warm water throughout the day instead of normal cold water - it soothes the tummy.
* lastly move...exercise, walk, use the stairs or just pick up your knees to your chest every couple of hours.

hope it works!
Milk milk glorious milk great for heartburn, the whole gas thing is a nightmare tho can't hold in the gas so it's a bit embarrasing, any advice on the gas thing?
Currently drinking the "hot water with fresh squeezed lemon" and I am already burping and can feel it moving through my abdomen.
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Try Papaya enzymes which helps with digestion. They are a more holistic approach and was recommended by a mid-wife to me. They are helping as I am 9 weeks and just started having really bad gas pains!
The suggestion of hot lemon water is a great one. I'm enjoying the relief from it right now - aahhhh! I've always sworn by hot lemon water to help after a night of too much drinking, but hadn't considered it for gas relief! I take a whole lemon squeeze all the juice out into a mug and (throw in the leftover lemon pieces, too) and add hot water and a good helping of honey to make it go down a little sweeter.  
im 11 weeks pregnant i was worried and scared if having a gas pain everyday and everyhour of the day is it normal? it's my 2nd time getting pregnant the 1st one i got miscariage at 8 weeks but i didn't feel anything like what i feel now that's why i was worried if there is something happened to me...can u give some advice for the gas pain...
THANK YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Use a warm heating pad laying down to relieve pressure.  Low if pregnant and not more than 15 minute intervals. I was told it's bad to raise body temperature. I was able to sleep!
I am 10 week pregnant. from two days i am having bad tummy pain. i burp and due to gasy i get stomach pulls. i am having some antacid but it is not helping.

i am up at 5.00am and from two nights i can't sleep. :( . i was unable to eat anything.

its weekend so i can't even go to doc :(.
I am pregnant with my 3rd and have never suffered like this! It is so painful I can hardly breath! Since I'm only 14 weeks- I can still lay on my stomach- so laying on a pillow (pressure) helps a lot... But I'm going to the doc on thurs and I'm going to ask if Gas-x is ok- because Tums does absolutely nothing for me!!
Yeah I'm 7 weeks pregnant and I feel like my stomach is full of water gas I'm guessing but I can barely walk and I'm with my 4 yr old bymyself witch doesn't help what can I do?
HI! I AM ALMOST 36 WEEKS PREGNANT AND THE BEST THING I HAVE FOUND FOR GAS IS MALOX. IT HONESTLY WORKS WONDERS AND I'VE USED IT THRU MY PREGNANCY SO FAR. GOOD LUCK TO YOU
Thank god for this!! I am only 5 weeks along and I have been trying to find anything on the internet that points towards "normal" or "regular" symptoms and not complications! I am naturally gassy anyways....but after reading this I realize these pains are more than likely gas! I wake up at 12:30 am every night with the urge to go #2 and then I'm constipated! It honestly brings me to tears sometimes and it's only at 10 am, 3ish pm, and 12:30, on the clock and I have no bleeding or spotting....This is my first baby so I am already freaking out, and these cramps don't make it much better....I will try gas-x!

PS I read somewhere that if your constipated try putting your feet up on a foot stool while you are on the toliet...I tried it last night, and it works!

Good Luck Mom's!
I am so glad I found this thread. I have the same exact problems as some of you. I'm just 5 weeks along in my first pregnancy and have been having the worst gas pains of my life!  Before I was pregnant, I loved to eat; but now ANYTHING  and Everything I eat makes me bloated and I look like I'm months into pregnancy. The gas causes me to belch constantly, and gas pains wake me up at night, every night, since the day I found out I was pregnant a week ago. When we're out in public, I try to hurry off to the bathroom, but I don't always make it. It's embarassing and it's grossing out my husband.
I, unfortunately, have to go to Fort Belvoir Hospital in Virginia; and they have been totally unsympathetic to my pleas for answers as to if this was normal, and any possible remedies. I placed three calls to the Triage Nurse and when I finally got her on the line the following week, I think she hung up on me when I started explaining the Gas.  I had Acid Reflux before, but my PCM said Nexium was bad during pregnancy so I started using Tums. It does help indeed with indigestion. But I have to take them after I eat Anything. The Gas-X however, has given me No relief to my painful bloating, belching, and  sleep-interupting gas. It brings me to tears at nights, and I'm not getting very much sleep anyways these days.
Because my first appointment isn't for another two weeks, I've had to resort to scouring the internet for answers, and considering changing  my OB-GYN to Bethesda; even though it's an hour's drive away.
Thanks to everyone for sharing their stories, at least I don't feel so bad about asking the question in the first place. Now I know I'm not the only one suffering from these symptoms.
I find that Tums and Gas X actually make things worse for me (even though it worked in the beginning).  I was reading that they take all of the acid out of your stomach which actually slows down your digestion and also makes it hard for your body to absorb iron.  If you have an iron deficiency (which is common in pregnancy) it can cause big digestive problems, which causes more gas and makes it so that you aren't getting the nutrients that your body needs right now.  So I've started eating small meals of iron rich foods (because I have every symptom of iron deficiency) we'll see if it works.  I'm usually up for an hour at a time three times a night trying to stop burping.  I've noticed that if I eat more frequently it keeps my digestive system going which helps A TON!  I keep snacks by my bed and eat A LITTLE to help it get things moving again... this is the best thing I've found so that I can get back to sleep.
I am a little over 6 weeks pregnant now and it's my first one, so I had no idea the gas would be so bad!  At first, I thought something was wrong, but then I realized that my stomach was gurgling, so I figured it was gas. I'm going to try the hot water and fresh lemon as soon as I can get some lemons!  Thanks for the advice here!
OMG I almost died this morning. I was at work(I'm a pharmacy tech) filling pills till this pain hit me so hard I wanted to cry. A woman was ready to pay for her script so I started to cash her out. The pain then increased 5x worse. The woman said to me " I know I'm no doctor but you look like your in pain and the way your bent over it looks like you have cramps" so I replied " No hun I know for sure its not cramps cause I'm 9weeks pregnant and I won't be cramping for while, But thanks for being concerned" I gave the woman her change then I hit the floor. I just knew I was Dying. My boss ask if he she call for help. I told him I'm not sure but I cant take this pain then I begin to cry. A older woman (customer) came behind the counter and start digging in her purse. while doing that said, I heard you telling the other woman you was pregnant and it looks as if you want to die. She then reach down and put two pills in my mouth and told me she use to be a nurse and I know exactly whats wrong and then smiled at me. I chewed the pills and less then 5minute I was able to get back up with no pain. I then asked her what did she give me. she leaned over to my ear and said you have GAS.lolololol. how embarrassing. So before I left work I brought a big box of gas-x. there are now my new best friend :-)
hi,  im 15.. and i think i might be pregnant:S ...  i have to go for a biopsy on my stomach in a few days and i was woundering if that would do anything to my prenancy if i were to be..
I am having the same issue with gas pain. i am about 7 weeks preggo with my 4th child and have never had these pains before. I am not one of the people who can make them self burp, but i feel like i may just pop if i dont.  I am moving around and trying my best to just get comfortable. Seriously driving me crazy, Tums has done nothing for me, and as for gas x im to afraid to take anythig without talking to a doctor. Gonna try the lemon water and see if it heps any. I pray that is does, its after 4am and I have been up for about 2 hours

Im 5wks preg and on bed rest on the advice of my Dr. I had a miscarriage before and Im having stomach pains also this time, so Doc advised bed rest. But the problem is I think bed rest is making my gas problems worse. I feel bloated almost all the time and passing gas so much gas that its embarrassing. I dont want to take any medication that can be harmful during the first trimester. Any thoughts on this wud be highly appreciated.

thanks

thanks
I did a lot of research and have been taking small doses of pepto..it soothes the stomach and my nausea that I always get together in the middle of the night.
Im 22 weeks pregnant and the horrific smelly gas is unreal. It has lasted 3 weeks now. Its being a normal sound and aroma (so gross) and I have bought stock in candles and fresheners. I dont have cramping...just passing! What to do? Cuz im going to end up slipping while out in public...and I can hide or deny this!
I thought I was the only one suffering with this acidity problem. I am 8 weeks pregnant now and had severe pain and gastric trouble. Luckily, One of my Grandmother's friend brought me "MADEEPHALA RASAYANA" an DIGESTER which worked for me like a charm. Just 5ml of it in the morning after my Breakfast and a lot of relief. This is just clearing out the gas and making me hungry ao that I can eat well. Thanks to that old lady. She saved me. I was not able to get up from my couch. And thanks to this article too. Tried hot water with lemon too. This has given me a bit of relief. The "Madeephala rasayana" is an ayurvedic medicine, and has no side effects being used since 90 years in INDIA. Hope this helps. And ALL THE BEST to all soon to be mothers.
im 6 months and got gas and i dont know what to do im only 20 and this is my first child and im scared to death on what to do and my husband is going crazy cause he doesnt know how to help me. the pain is just so bad i can lay down without it hurting me so bad. can anybody help me and tell me what i might be able to do to fix it...
I have IBS, and have done ALOT of research for what is safe during pregnancy. I suffer from the gassy-cramps-wanna-poop-cant-poop-oh-jeez-let-me-die symptoms. The best thing to prevent that feeling is ACIDOPHILUS. You can get them as a powder of pill (pretty cheap too... like $4 at walmart). What it does is increase good bacteria in your intestines. The cause for cramping, constipation, diarrhea, nausea, heartburn can be to to not enough good bacteria or an overgrowth of bad. Its has natural probotics that help your intestinal tract, and its also good for your va-jay-jay in preventing yeast infections (common in pregnancy) that could cause premature birth or worse.  It is HIGHLY recommended...plus if you bring it up to your doctor that you would be interested in taking it, they would think you're a smart cookie!!!

Good luck!

PS- Its 2:30 am for me. I was having MAJOR gas cramps. I took the acidophilus pill and the pain has ceased. give it 20 to 30 min. May not work for everyone like that. But in the long run that is how IBS or NOT people can prevent this awful feeling and get some beauty sleep!!!  :)
I have the same problem. I am almost 6 weeks and whenever I eat ANYTHING, the gas cramps are so bad that I cannot sleep all night. My doctor prescribed Colace (stool softener), Gas-x (round the clock) and milk of magnesia. It helps a bit, but I'm at the point now where I'm just on a liquid diet and that seems to be helping the most. I am drinking Odwalla Protein drinks and veggie drinks. It gives me vitamins, but none of the excruciating gas pain. Hope this helps
According to a list of meds that are safe for pregnancy my OB/GYN gave me Maalox, Mylanta, Roldaids, and Tums are all safe for gas relief.
I'm 30weeks pregnant and glad to see I'm not alone! Gas is getting so bad I don't even feel like going out or being between people. Good to know some daddies out there are helping the mommy-to-be. Good luck to all mommys!
Hey im going crazy here my fiance if 11 weeks pregnant n complaining of gas pains some one help plz i hate seeing her like this she doesnt sleep which means i dont sleep ugggzzzzz plzzzzzz help me......
Fennel is very bad for you when pregnant. It can cause miscarriage. Same with a lot of herbal teas.
Thank you sooo much for the warm water and lemon treatment.

Last night I was doubled over in pain for about 3 hours. I couldn't sit, stand, lay down or move with out really awful pain in my stomach and side. I had cold sweats and felt nauseous. I took tums and what was left of the pepto and they did nothing for me.

I figured the warm water and lemon was not harmful so at least worth a try. I finished my warm mug and on the way to the kitchen was able to release a big ol' truck driver worthy burp. Within 10 minutes the pain was gone and I was able to sleep!

You are a life savor :)
Stretch! Do some yoga, it moves and releases the gas! Also watch this. Have a happy and gas free pregnancy ladies :)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DBdWbYakqGo&feature=relmfu
I m seven weeks pregnant n I had terrible gas pain in upper back, I took ajwain then got some relief, but after two hours , it started again then I ad been to doc and he had given me pain killer injection for instant relief and PAN 40 tablet which doc says is allowed in pregnancy.. I always have gas trouble with things cold in nature like coconut, reddish etc so I have to take ajwain or any other thing which is warm in nature.. Every pregnancy is different n every body is every different so will have to manage our pregnancy diet according to body.. Thanks..  
I know it is wierd but i have found a position and helps relieve gas

If your on the floor and put your but in the air while on you knees your face on the floor and your ams aound your ankles.. the gas just gcomes out!
Aww I feel your pain, I'm in the same boat. 14 weeks pregnant, aways bloated, constipated and I have a lot of gas pain along with cramping  and nothing seem to work. Ugg