What does BV mean?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences: medical conditions, general health, and management.

What does BV mean?

I read the letters BV in a post this morning on this forum as a possible condition.
What do the letters BV mean ?  Just curious. Thanks
Hi there and welcome  BV stands for bacterial vaginosis.  It is a bacterial infection of the vagina and needs antibiotics to treat.  BV often doesn't itch like a yeast infection but has a very foul, fishy odor.  Discharge is present but it is more watery and greyish in color.  

good luck

good luck
Hi Eve, And if your against taken to many antibiotics, just google bv and sea salt, its a natural way to cure bv without taken drugs, works for a yeast infection as well.
Good Luck
Bacterial vaginosis.  I've had it, it's quite common and not too serious.  Just take the antibiotics the doc recommends.  It's not an STI, nothing to be ashamed of.  I got it from using harsh soap.
Hm, are you sure you got this from using harsh soap?  Why do you think that?

BV isn't an STD per se but actually it passes from partner to partner.  Often they give the male partner the same round of antibiotics that they give the female if she has a reoccurance as they can pass it back and forth.  BV can be hard to eradicate and most do require antibiotic treatment.  

Now, yeast is common if the natural flora of the vagina is disturbed such as in use of medication and such that kills off 'good bacteria'.  

I also wanted to comment that when one has trouble with BV, they recommend wearing cotton underwear and changing it anytime you are sweaty like after exercising.  The lack of air trapped in a damp space causes an anaerobic  condition that is prime for the growth of the bacteria found in BV.  They culture for it quite easily on a routine ob/gyn appt. if one has the symptoms.  good luck
Well my doc said it was probably from using harsh soap when she diagnosed me.  I continued having sex with my boyfriend throughout treatment and nothing happened.  You do have a point about sex playing a part though- we had been long distance and recently connected again, and I basically went from NEVER having sex, to having sex all the time.  The sperm/imbalance of pH could have played a part as well.

But I guess what I'm saying is, you can get it from seemingly harmless things.
Hi specialmom,

I don't have BV. I was just curious what the letters BV stand for.
I saw it in another post on this forum and wondered what BV stood
for. Thanks for telling me. I appreciate it. Eve
Shannon79 commented on photo
zouzi commented on Please be aware of th...
Please be aware of this!!!!!!
4 hrs ago by gymdandee
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals