What happens to your hymen when you lose your virginity?

A community for people with Women's Health-related concerns. Ask a question, join a conversation, share experiences.

I'm a virgin and this is something that bothers me. I've tried looking it up but haven't found exactly what i'm looking for so thought i'd ask on a mature site like this where i won't get silly replies.

I know your hymen is thin bit of tissue that covers the opening of the virgina, but when it breaks what exactly happens to it? Does it break away or does it go back into your virgina? I know it will probably hurt a bit too and maybe bleed but that doesn't bother me. When i do lose my virginity (which won't be anytime soon anyways) i just don't want to be alarmed if i find a bit of weird tissue or whatever on my sheets.

Does anyone actually know?

Thanks. x
I think that would be an interesting question for a gynecologist.  I don't think the hymen is (as in popular culture) like the top of a drum or a piece of Saran wrap stretched over the top of a glass, after all, it has a hole in it already to let the menstrual flow out.  This probably means that that hole gets stretched, and with continued sex it either rips a little or a lot, to make room for the (tampon or) penis.  I think if the tissue were thin it might essentially scab over and the scabs fall off after a time, but if it were thick it would just stay there to the sides of the vaginal opening and be part of the whole fluffy area down there.  Don't know for sure, though.
ps, it's "vagina," not "virgina."  From the latin for "sheath," it has nothing to do with the word "virgin."  Those Romans named about everything after something military or martial, a knife sheath is what they were thinking of.  :)
You don't actually need to lose your virginity for your hymen to break as well though. Mine did when I started to use tampons for the first time, so I can't say for sure what actually happens to it. It can also break if you do certain activities or sports too. There's a chance that you might not even actually have it anymore. A lot of girls don't actually notice it breaks because there isn't always bleeding or pain involved when it does.  
Vency commented on Saw the babies again ...
50 mins ago
KTowne commented on KTowne's status
KTowne commented on veronica0808's status
Menstrual Tracker
Track your cycles
Reach your weight goals