What is a blighted ovum?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

What is a blighted ovum?

Me again sorry. I guess my mind is in overtime now my scan is less than 24hours away. I was just wondering what a blighted ovum is exactly and any experiences any ones had with it? Is it dangerous if left untreated etc?

I was speaking with my grandmother who was saying there was a story on the news a while back where a woman thought she was 8 months preg the dr has said she was too (I assume she got a pos preg test for this to happen) and people thought she was having twins etc her stomach was so big, until something like she got pains or somethng she went in and they found it was some huge growth! Could this have been a blighted ovum? What kinda growth can give positive hpt?

Its like every month I have a bright red bleed for a couple of days, then I feel sick and have to throw up, and constantly tired. Im running out of ideas. Ive tried changing diet, exercising more.. I dunno please some experiences of blighted ovums if you dont mind girlies :-)
have you tried researching it on the web like web md or something?
From http://www.americanpregnancy.org/pregnancycomplications/blightedovum.html:

A blighted ovum (also known as
Thanks Annie, I was a bit busy at the time needshelp so I was just wondering what people knew about it. Thanks for taking the time Annie u didnt have to put so much detail :-)

Has anyone actually experienced this? Thanks
Hi red rose! I had a blighted ovum. I must say....it was one of the strangest things ever. My doctor told me it was actually fairly common but the first time I heard of it was when I went in for my ultrasound. I guess it's one of those things that you don't really talk much about you know?