What is a hysterscope?
by Mentor2007, Dec 18, 2007
I'm a very healthy 63 year old, post menapausal for the last 10 years.  I'm experiencing a very small amount of spotting every couple of months for about the last year.  I've completed an ultrasound which showed abnormal cells that resulted in a endometriosis biopsy.  I do not know the results of the biopsy yet, but the nurse has called saying I'll be scheduled for a hyperscopy once I talk to the doctor. I have no idea what a hysterscope is; would you explain it?

Related Discussions
Member Comments (2)
by AnnieBrooke, Dec 18, 2007
I think it is a way of looking into your uterus.  A hysterscope ingogram or ingagram (spelling) is when they squirt dye into your uterus and look at it by x-ray to see what everything looks like in the uterus and the fallopian tubes.
by Heather5, Dec 19, 2007
Here's some info for you:

"Hysteroscopy uses a hysteroscope, which is a thin telescope that is inserted through the cervix into the uterus.  Modern hysteroscopes are so thin that they can fit through the cervix with minimal or no dilation.  Because the inside of the uterus is a potential cavity, like a collapsed air dome, it is necessary to fill (distend) it with either a liquid or a gas (carbon dioxide) in order to see.  Diagnostic hysteroscopy and simple operative hysteroscopy can usually be done in an office setting.   More complex operative hysteroscopy procedures are done in an operating room setting."

Hope that helps.