What is the normal size of the uterus?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

What is the normal size of the uterus?

I've recently undergone a pelvic ultrasound and CT scan for fibroid tissues.  Results just back and informed uterus is massively enlarged.  What is the normal size of a uterus? If the uterus is removed abdominally, how big is the incision? Thanks.
Normal size of a non-pregnant uterus is sort of the size of a pear or maybe an avocado for a bigger girl.  It grows to grapefruit size very fast in early pregnancy, then on from there.  A very stretchy muscle, and very accomodating of things inside it.  Skin is stretchy too, so they might be able to get a large uterus out of a pretty small incision.  Good luck!
I just had an ultrasound done and the comments said "uterus is normal in size measuring 6.9 x 3.1 x 4.7cm. Hopefully that helps you!
My ultrasound scan report says that i have a slightly smaller sized uterus...and also am non-pregnant....is there any prob of having a slightly smaller sized uterus??????
my uterus is enlarged and elongated to 12cm and demonstrates multiple
fibroid nodules, including posterior intramural fibroid nodule 4.26cm
and showing pre-degenerative changes. The central endometrial echo shows some distortion. do i have to remove my uteus?
my uterus is enlarge to 12cm and demonstrates multiple fibroids nodules
do i have to remove my uterus?
Ive been experiencing extreeme pain in my pelvic area which led my dr. to send me for a pelvic sonogram my uterus is 13 x 4.8 x6.8 cm. i have 2 cysts on my ovaries, and multiple fibroids. What should my next step be????
what is the normal size of uterus
I am 31 weeks pregnant and my uterus measures 39 !! im no doc but know this isnt right does this mean i can go into labour early ?

Thanks Tracey
I have a thick walled cyst in my left ovary measuring. 3.2''x 3".
I underwent 6 month course of oral contraceptives for the cure of cyst. cyst has stopped responding to the treatment and further in the latest reports , i have found that my uterus has enlarged sizing to 9.4cm.
Is surgery my last resort now?
I has just received pelvic sono result: The uterus measures 10.5 x 5.3 x 7.5 cm. The endometrium and ovaries are not well seen transabdominally. Fraom transvaginal sono: The endometrium measures 1.5 cm. It is irregular in contour and heterogeneous in texture. The right ovary measures 1.8 x 1.4 x 1.3 cm, left one measures 2.0 x a.6 x 2.4 cm. Last year's endometrial stripe measures 1.1 cm.

My doctor recommends either D & C or EMB.

I am inclined to have D & C as well as MRI.

Any suggestion and advice would be appreciated.

I have had 5 children and i always wondered why intercourse was painful to me.I told doctor after doctor but they never did anything about it.They told me it was just my body from being pregnant so many times and having my kids so close together.When I met this new doctor and told her I had been dealing with this before I had children.She did an ultrasound and said my uterus was enlarged she gave me two perscriptions Metronidazole&Ciprofloxacin HCL and said if it did not improve we would find out what was really wrong.I am so worried about the outcome because I have 5 kids the oldest is 6 and if a hysterectomy is a must.I need to know how long is the healing process.
hello I just gone and had yearly exam and the doctor said i had a uterus the size of a golf ball. is that normal? I'm 29 yrs old and have two children there ages are 11 and 7.
The uterus measures about 7.5 cm. in length, 5 cm. in breadth, at its upper part, and nearly 2.5 cm. in thickness; it weighs from 30 to 40 gm. It is divisible into two portions. On the surface, about midway between the apex and base. you may read more details on following link
http://www.bartleby.com/107/268.html
By Nabila
I am recovering from the removal of a basketball sized 2 pound uterus, cantalope sized ovary and normal looking ovary and appendex removal. I consider myself stupid for putting off the surgery and letting things get away from me for 4 years and alot of pain and bleeding durning that time of the month. If your doctor suggests doing it than do it or get a second opinion but please don't put yourself through what I did. I am now laid up in bed for 6 weeks healing time, 6 months internal healing time and a whole lot of real pain. Nevermind waiting for the lab results to come back.
Hi there, I was just wondering, did they do a laparascopic surgery on you? My uterus is enlarged and I am waiting on a scheduled appointment to have it removed.  The dr said he could pull it out through the belly button but I wondered how and if that could be done for an enlarged uterus. Thanks
i have smal size utrus what i do is any suggstion ot treatment
ola boa tarde...fiz um ecografia pélvica e o resultado indicou que tenho o útero aumentado ( 102/29/40 cm) e para alem disto um nodulo com 19mm na parede interior...estou assustado o que significa isto???  
jus now i have been to ultra sound scan of whole abdomen they said utreus is slightly bluggey andsam jus 24 yr old got married 8 months before wil thhis lead to any probs in pregency
Mine is 5 CM VIA Ultrasound a year ago
Guess they only told me Width which was 5 cm. Thanks for info :-)
My Dr. told me that a normal uterus is 4 cm to 6cm. However my uterous is 16cm. I am not pregnant and 38 yrs. old. I am scheduled to have abdominal hysterectomy next week. Dr. said uterus can not be removed vagianally or laproscopically if it is bigger than 10cm. I hope this helps some of you. I have to admit that I am scared about surgery.
I also have an enlarged uterus due to fibroids and am scheduled to have surgery in early March.  My uterus is 16cm x 11cm x 10cm.

My doctor is planning a laparoscopic hysterectomy.  If, in surgery, it turns out that the pieces are too big to take out through the trocars (tubes) then he plans to take them out vaginally.  His method of last resort is to make a 3" incision to take it out.  He said the most critical issue is how much movement he can get with my uterus.  Although my uterus is very big, it seems to move easily.

If your doctor says yours is too big to take out with laparoscopic surgery, I'd suggest getting a second opinion.
what can u say about an uterus measuring 34mm in its APdiameter?
I have many large fibroids and considering a hysterectomy.  My uterus is a little smaller than yours - but not by much!  Did you have the surgery?  Which method?  My doctor told me I had no other options but an abdominal incision.  Not sure I buy that!

Hope all is well.
I had my laparoscopic hysterectomy on March 1st and my first followup on the 19th.

Before the surgery, my surgeon told me that he was going to try to extract everything through the trocars (tubes into the abdomen).  But during surgery, it turned out that my uterus was so large that it was going to a long time if he only extracted the pieces through the trocars -- it's best to minimize the amount of time a patient is under anesthesia.  So he cut up the pieces and extracted them through my vagina.  In all, my (huge) uterus, tubes, (heavily scarred) left ovary and (my choice) cervix were removed *without* any abdominal incisions more than a 1/2 inch long.  I had 4 incisions in total -- two 1/2 inch long and another two about 1/4 inch long.

If you doubt anything anyone, including doctor, tells you, you should get a second (or even third) opinion.

I have avoided the usual lifting, physical exertion, etc. and am doing well.  My doctor [and friends of mine in the medical profession] advise me to try to walk as much as possible to help in my recovery and to lessen chances of blood clots.  The first two weeks, I just walked around my house.  Then I graduated to walking around Costco.  ;-)  Again, no heavy lifting.  Let someone else do that!  :-)

Don't be intimidated by doctors or anyone with a title!

Let me know if you have other questions.

I'm not a physician and can't say anything about your uterus.  What I do want to point out is that a centimeter (cm) is 10 millimeters (mm).  So the size of my uterus in millimeters (mm) before surgery was 160mm x 110mm x 100mm.  The anteroposterior (front-to-back or AP) diameter of my uterus was 100mm.

In inches, the size of my uterus was 6.3 inches (length) x 4.3 inches (width) x 3.9 inches (AP diameter).

Because I'm petite, my uterus could be felt above my belly button.  I'm 47 and 4 years from the average age of onset of menopause (51).  I decided not to wait for menopause for my fibroids to shrink.  I'm glad I didn't wait.  But that's a decision you'll have too make for your self.

Read and ask a lot of questions.
I had to have a partial hysterectomy due to stage 4 endomietriosis they took the tubes and the uterus and I was moving around the next day with minimal pain.
my ultrasound report says 4.29 x 4.0 x 4.15 normal sized anteverted uterus with thickened (1cm) endometrium
polycystic ovaries,  bilateral as described.
i also have here small multiple follicles each measures less than 1cm in diameter.
i still have to go to my ob gyne for the interpretation tomorrow..
i just had the lab yesterday.
i went to ob gyne due to irregular menstruation.
well, I just had a very needed over due hysterectomy. I have tried the natural progesterone not synthetic kind. if you ask me birth control will only make the problem worst. have you heard of estrogen dominance? there is a Dr. named Dr. lee Google him.. I had tumors on each ovary measuring 7 centimeters and a 9 centimeter setting behind my uterus not to mention my uterus 220. I been battling this since I was 19 now 2 weeks after surgery I'm 47. I have done my homework because I didn't want to take this route. but the tumors won. happy PMS is the best natural  progesterone cream out there Dr. Lee came up with it years ago. remember no  synthetic's. His books have alot of good info that Dr.s are going to tell you.
Thank you this information was very helpful.
im from ultra sound on 23 june and my result came with 74*43*50mm i dont really understand whats meaning of this
I just had a partial hysterectomy-just my uterus 3 weeks ago. I was having a lot of bleeding during my period and lots of back pain. I had ultrasound, MRI, and several pelvic exams over the years that confirmed that I had about 15 fibroids. My uterus was the size of a soccer ball. The normal size uterus will fit in your palm. When they completed the pathological report, my uterus weighed about 2.8 lbs. It was so big, my doctor had to cut a fibroid off the backopf my uterus to get my uterus out. Instead of the traditional horizontal scar, I have a vertical scar about 6 inches long below my belly button. I am so glad I had the surgery because it relieved so much pain and agony from my life. My enlarged uterus pressed on my kidneys and raise my level to over twice the norm. However once the took the uterus out, ,y levels are back to normal. My backaches are gone and I do not have to urinate so often at night. The surgery lasted two hours and I am feeling great. I can not lift more than 10lbs. or exercise yet, but everything else is fine. My doctor stated I act as if I never had the surgery!
Here is my Clinical info after a pelvic scan - Uterus size with an Ap diameter of 4.8cm and myometrium is expanded in the mid anterior wall and fundal wall by solid tissue masses with mixed echo textures and Ap diameters of 1.8cm and 2.0cm. They are intramural in locations. Internal os is closed. Pls what does all these imply; I'm yet to see Doc!
if you don't mind to share on how your ob interpreted the  ultra sound report as we have the same size and sono interpretation..i will see my ob this tuesday..so i know what to ask and to expect..thank you very much in advance if you can help me...
That is a great story I am so glad to hear that your hysterectomy was a success and that you are doing better. I am about to have a hysterectomy myself for some of the same reasons. I have horrible lower back pain, painful periods as if a am in labor every month but no baby comes out. I have been also told that I have an enlarged uterus 16 cm and multiple fibroid tumors. Oh and because of all the heavy bleeding I now have anemia. You're story made me feel more at ease. Now I look forward to the surgery, at first I was a little fearful. God Bless and thank you for sharing.
I have been SUFFERING for sooo long!  I have gone to my "previous" obgyn complaining, the ER for white knuckling cramps, nausia, etc!  Have had several U/S's and cat scans.  Since I was in high school (I'm 41 now), I had heavy flows and cramps that lasted 7 days!  In 2006, my cramps started coming for 2 weeks of the month.  This year, they are at 3 weeks of the month!  I have to take narcotics AND advil just to get relief, but then drugged out of my mind!  (and I HATE taking them, so I don't do it unless I'm ready to pull my hair out!)  I was able to finally find an obgyn that listened to me!  She referred me to a surgeon.  Saw him yesterday!  He sat down, and told me exactly what I had!  Adenomyosis!!!  (it's endometriosis, but deep in the thick muscle layers of the uterus!).  He said, you must be in a lot of pain!  My uterus is huge, my ovaries are huge, I had 3 large cysts on them last u/s-last summer,  and a pretty big fibroid-which may actually be an adenomysosis tumor!  I just looked at him, mouth dropped, and started crying!  It was SOOO NICE to have someone believe me, recognize that I've been suffering, and tell me whats wrong!  I've been sooo excited, I've been practically screaming it from the mountain tops!  I want sooo bad for women who go thru this stuff to find their solutions quicker!  It's ridiculous!!!  6 YEARS of being in bed 4-5 days a week, 2-3 weeks a month!  Not being able to shower b/c of fear of passing out, urinary issues, having to use exam gloves to go to the bathroom b/c of "the mess", buying $40-$50 worth of product a month b/c you go thru pads and tampons like a kid goes thru candy!!!  Almost ripping the steering wheel off b/c a cramp comes while driving!  Putting a bucket in the car b/c you don't know if you will make it to the side of the road to vomit (and all this b/c it can come on sooo quickly!!)  I'm scheduling my partial hysterectomy tomorrow and COULDN'T BE HAPPIER!!!!  I've been dreaming of it since HIGH SCHOOL!!!!!  If anyone else has adenomyosis, there is a support group on FB!  You have to be approved to join b/c of the privacy, but that's understandable!!! : )

My uterus is retroverted and measures 8.2 x 4.2 x 5.0 cm. My left ovary is 4.0 x 3.1 x 2.4 cm in size with 3.8 x 3.6 2.1 cm cystic lesion with echogenic focus inside (suspected dermoid). While my right ovary has a size of 4.6 x 4.5 x 2.9 cm with a 2 complex cyst measuring 2.5 x 2.3 1.8 cm and 1.6 x 1.7 x 1.3 cm (suspected endometriotic cyst).

Does it mean I need to undergo a surgery? It is causing me terrible pain that it sometimes makes me cry.

Thanks in advance
I assume that you've been going to a OB/GYN and have had ultrasounds taken since you have measurements.  What did your OB/GYN recommend?  How do you feel about this recommendation?  How do you feel about your OB/GYN?  Does your OB/GYN perform the surgery you want?

I liked and trusted my OB/GYN, but she didn't do the kind of surgery I wanted (laparoscopic hysterectomy).  So she referred me to one of her colleagues.  It's most important to find one you trust.  I met, liked and trusted her referred colleague.  I asked all sorts of questions which he patiently answered.

Now, it's more than 9-months post-op and I have been very happy with my decision to both have the surgery and my surgeon.  What I didn't realized besides the discomfort of my huge uterus is what it was doing to the other systems that shares space in my abdomen.  At 48, my muscles are not as elastic as when I was younger.  I'm glad I didn't wait any longer.

All the best!
my mother age is 60, she has recently done an USG & detect that Right kindney measures 119mm. It is normal in size shape and echotexture. cortical thickness well preserved. Mild to moderate hydronephrosis present. No evidence of nephrosclerosis, nephrocalcinosis, calcus or neoplasm. Right ureter is not visualozed.

Post Voide Study-Shows significant amount of residual urine. RUV 131ml approx

Uterus- Measures 103 X 33 X 45 mm. It is anteverted and enlarged in size. Normal in shape and echotexture. Collapsed endometrial cavity is well seen in midline and normal. No evidence of any mass or fibroid. Cervix normal. No fluid in POD.

Right Adnexa - There is well circumscribed small mass ? cystic (37x35mm). Righjt Ovary is not visualized separately.

My question is is my mother is having a CANCER. Is the symptom is of CANCER. Can any one tell me. Is is very dangerous or can be cured with medicine as my mother is very afraid of surgery.
thank you
my utres measures is 6.2*2.8*3.2 cm
is it normal?
my weight is 43kg
I got some problem with you, it's PCOS
Why would you need a D&C for an enlarged uterus? During one, they will only scrape out the lining of your uterus. This will not shrink the uterus itself.
my uterus is measuring:

UTV 120 cm3
UTL 7.72 cm
UTH 4.47  cm
UTW 6.65 cm
Endometrium 0.775 cm

ROV 17.3 cm3
ROL 3.05CM
ROH 2.71 CM
ROW 4.00CM

LOV 16.9CM3
LOL 2.92 CM
LOH 3.04 CM
LOW 3.65CM

LARGEST LEFT CYST MEASURES .7 X .7 X .4 CM
LARGEST RIGHT CYST MEASURES .9 X .9 X .6 CM

THE UTERUS IS RETROVERTED, ENDOMETRIUM APPEARS TO CONTAIN BLOOD, INCREASED UTERINE VASCULARITY WAS NOTED. AND BLOOD FLOW NOTED IN BOTH OVARIES.

WHAT DOES ALL THIS MEAN??? I'M DEBATING ON GETTING A 2ND OPINION. I HAD A LEEP PROCEEDURE DONE THIS PAST SUMMER BECAUSE THEY FOUND THAT I HAD MOD DYSPLASIA OF THE CERVIX. SINCE FEB 2013 I'VE ONLY HAD 5 PERIODS.
My measurements are almost identical to yours! What ended up happening to you? I am so worried!
i got ultrasound of pelvis and transvaginal sonography done on 21st day of menstrual cycle.(as i was overbleeding) it ravealed the following details...

Anteverted uterus measuring 5.6*3.2*4.5  ,normal in size and echotexture.
Small focal sac measuring 3mm seen in endometrium cavity of uterus, to be  correlated with UPT.

I am done with UPT  and the test result is negative
Now it is 25th day of my cycle and i am xpecting menstruation on 26th day as i m having PMS symptoms(26days-normal cycle length for me )

My doubt is that.....what  is the sac like thing in endometrial  cavity  at a very early satge? i have heard that gestational sac appears at about 4th week of pregnancy and moreover my UPT test is negative.

i am confused...and need help.as we are plannning to hav a baby as early as possibl.n i feel my uterus size is small.will this create difficulty for me to get pregnant?
MY UTERUS MEASUREMENTS : 8.2X3.7X4.2CM
Endometrial stripe measurement: 5.8mm
homogeneous
Rt OV measurements 2.1x1.6x2.2cm
Echogenic/solid appearing vaginal mass seen measures approx 8mm

SHOULD I BE CONCERED, I AM SCHEDULED FOR A BIOPSY TOMORROW. NERVOUS OF THE OUTCOME

Sir ,

As per my yesterdays investigation reports it is mentioned as " 4mm small nebothian cyst of cervix" so please expalin what it means and also please confirm is it harm to me to get the pregnent.

Awaiting your reply.
I want to share my story.  I have multiple fibroids that measured greater than 8cm each.  I was equivalent to 24 weeks pregnant.  I was advised by specialist to have a hysterectomy.  I would need a full abdominal hysterectomy, as my uterus was too large for easy removal.

I purchased a book called "the Fibroid Miracle" and in this book, it explains all your options, whether surgical or holistic.  This is where I learned about this procedure, "uterine artery embolization" or UAE.

Fibroid emobolization involves an Interventional Radiologist accessing your uterus through the femoral artery.  They then inject a substance that blocks the blood supply to your fibroids.  This blood starvation causes the fibroids to shrink and possibly die.  They are usually expelled from your body in the next 6 mths to a year.

I underwent this procedure on December 23/13.  It is significantly less invasive and recovery time is 7-10 days.

I look forward to the results.  I will be having a follow-up ultrasound in 3 mths, 6mths, and 1 year to monitor the progress.  I am so grateful that I discovered this treatment, as no doctors ever recommended this to me.  This procedure is ideal for those women who do not wish to be kickstarted into menopause.  It is also felt that this procedure is best for women who no longer wish to have any children.

It has been 2 weeks and I already can feel a significant decrease in pressure on my bladder.  That was my only symptom from my fibroids.  I want everyone to know about this option, as most health professionals are not even aware of its existence.
I know the date of this post was a while ago, but I have been doing some homework and your procedure sounds exactly like mine that I am having in just over one week.  The Dr. has told me the same information yours did, but I am just wondering one thing...when you say that you were up walking around the house for the first two weeks and then you ventured to Costco, how long was your recovery overall? I am a single mom who works full time so I just want to ensure that I take the recommended amount of recovery so I don't do more harm than good. Right now my Dr. is saying two weeks, but I think that's pushing it.
I also had fibroid uterine embolization, actually twice and by my first check up my fibroid had decreased in size. I am 56 yrs old and unfortunately my fibroids continue to grow. I think the embolized fibroids stopped growing but new ones formed. Today. I had an ultra sound and my uterus measures 12.72 cm x 6.27cm x 8.46 cm.  I have been trying to avoid a hysterectomy for years now and hoped my fibroids would shrink after menopause - they don't seem to be shrinking.
I am sorry to hear about your problems.  I, too am trying to avoid a hysterectomy, as I would need to be cut open from top to bottom for that procedure.  At this point, it is too early to tell if I will suffer the same problems that you are.  

I do know that my fibroids were large enough to cause a partial obstruction of my right ureter.  This leads to a significant decrease in urine output and was causing my right kidney to enlarge.  It has now been six weeks and my urine output is back to normal.  My bowels, too seem to be functioning better.  As far as the size of my uterus, I don't know what it was.  I do know that the specialists called me "the woman with the large uterus".  No kidding, LOL.

I do worry about new fibroids developing after my existing ones shrink.  I am using the book "Fibroids Miracle" to help me address that.  It gives nutritional and lifestyle suggestions to help with managing estrogen dominance, as this is the main cause of fibroid growth.  It is my belief that we are only treating the symptoms (ie. fibroids) and not addressing the causes.  Another good book by Suzanne Summers addresses the problems menopausal women face and discusses the pros and cons of  hormone therapy.

Your thoughts are welcome and I am eager to hear more about your story.
I just had the abdominal hysterectomy (bikini cut) five days ago.  Everything will be alright.  Woke up couple hours later and didn't even knew what hit me, lol.  Lots of swelling and gas in the belly which will eventually go away.  Mine has already started to shrink.  There is some vaginal dripping for the first couple of days and constipation due to medication.
Hello Sisters,

My uterus was the the equivalent of a 18 week gestation.  I was bleeding until I came very close to passing out.  I too was scared because of my other health issues (history of blood clots/on a blood thinner).  It got so bad I had to Let Go and Let God.

I had a laproscopic hysterctomy on Monday, 3.10 and was discharged home on Tuesday.  I have some soreness and gas but am glad I did it and it is over with.

Good luck to all of you
I'm sorry, it's taken me so long to answer.

At this point, I have had my surgery (laparoscopic hysterectomy) a little more than two years ago (March 1st, 2012).  Although my uterus was pretty BIG (16cm x 11cm x 10cm), my doctor was able to cut up my uterus into small pieces that were removed through small incisions (about half inch each) in my abdomen.  I had my surgery in the morning and was up and about later that night.  I was discharged the next morning with some precautionary medication.  I actually didn't use any of the pain medications.  I was and am a very "regular" sort of girl and didn't need any stool softeners either.

After two weeks, I had a follow-up on March 19th.  I actually felt pretty good by then.  I was able to walk, cook, clean, help landscape our yards and do most things as I was before my surgery -- only withOUT the discomfort of carrying the equivalent of a small melon in my belly!

All in all, my surgery and recovery was not an unpleasant experience and I would recommend it to anyone who has similar symtoms (symptoms).  Just be sure to find a doctor who makes you feel comfortable and is patient when you have questions -- I had a lot of questions.  If I meet a doctor who I find condescending, I'll look for another.  Don't sell yourself short or settle.

All the best!