White edge around vagina opening

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

White edge around vagina opening

I feel burning and have a white edge around my opening of my vagina.  It looks like it is freezer burnt.  Slight itching, but not bad.  What could this be?
It could be either lichen sclerosis  or  lichen scleroderma.   You need to have a dermatologist check you out.  It is treatable, but will get worse without any treatment.

http://womenshealth.about.com/cs/linchensclerosis/a/lichensclerosus.htm
it could also be bv or trich. white area on the vagina mean infection. pink area in vagina mean a healthy vagina. i am a certified medical assisatant but could very well be the above mention dx. i would say go to the ob/gyn and get pap smear and culture sent to the lab.
I've had this problem for the last 2 months..
It happened a couple weeks after unprotected sex. My doctor diagnosed it as a yeast infection without swabbing it. However, another doctor swabbed it and it was negative for yeast. I have been tested for STDs including chlamydia, trich, gnorrea and I took a blood test for herpes (results should be back by next week). The doctor who DID swab it said she had no idea what it was (and she works at the STD clinic).

What could it be?? It's been 2 months!
Have any of the above posters resolved their issues???  I have been having inflammation, pain, and the skin around the opening of my vagina is white for about 10 months now. I have been tested for bacteria, yeast, parasites,and all std's (all negative). I've been to three gynocologists and no one can determine what is wrong with me. I am seeing another specialist next week. I am really hoping he can properly diagnose and treat me. In the meantime I am searching online and talking to other women w/ similar problems. Please let me know how your current situation is and please tell me what has helped you. Thanks!
I have the exact symptoms that "FreezerBurn" is talking about. Noticed some itching in my inner vagina a couple of days ago.  I took a look yesterday because the itch didn't seem normal and i saw in the inner part of my vagina on the edge of the skin is white.  Like the other person described like the tip is freezer burnt.  I've never experience anything like that.  There is no strange ordor or discharge.  I've made an appointment to see my doctor but am really worried about it.  Anyone here got any answers when they went to the doctor on what this could be?  Please let me know.
Please keep us updated as to what your doctor says. Good luck and I'll be thinking of you.......  Just curious..... Do you have an other symptoms: burning, inflammation, pain, etc???
No other symptoms for now.  
I'm kinda freaking out because last year my now ex-bf gave me HPV and found he was cheating on me with Multiple women.  Hence, giving me HPV.  I got the warts treated and haven't had sex in almost a year because the whole ordeal freaked me out.  approx. two weeks ago, i was intimate with someone and we were maybe two minutes into vaginal sex when we realized the condom broke and I just stopped completely after that....I got so paranoid.  Now, two weeks later i'm having these symptoms and am hoping it's not related to any of that but my mind keeps going back to the HPV of last year and the condom breaking two weeks ago.  I have to wait to see my doctor this week and am hoping its just some type of yeast infection.  Although, I have gotten those in the past and there was a discharge but never a whitening of my inner vagina.  Cross your fingers for me and I will definately let you know the outcome but if anyone here in the meantime has ANY idea of what it could be....Please let me know.
I know this is way easier said than done, but I would try to not worry too much until you see the doctor and hopefully have some test results. Make sure the doctor knows you have HPV, and be totally honest about your recent sexual activity. I would request a full std screening including blood work. Just in case it is simply yeast you might got to your local health food store and ask for a good probiotic for women. Even if it's not yeast, the probiotic would be good for you. Well, I understand your pain. Lately, I feel like I'm holding on by a thread. So, if you ever need to talk.... I'm here. We can continue to post publicly or feel free to send me a private message if you like. Although it's very hard for me as well, I'm going to try to take my own advice and not worry myself sick. I'm going to try to start my day. (((((((((((((((e-hug)))))))))))))))
I went to the doctors and turned out it was a bad yeast infection ((PHEW)).  I was worried sick.  She gave me intibiotics and i'm ok now.  She said anytime there is a change in a womens PH that does happen.  I have gotten her to do some retesting on for any STD's and should have results this week but i feel good about the outcome.  Thanks soooo much for your support. :-)  
I'm surprised the doctor gave you an antibiotic????? Antibiotics can make yeast infections worse. I'm surprised he didn't give you Diflucan. If you don't get better, I'd ask about Diflucan. Also, a probiotic is still a good idea, especially after taking antibiotics. You need to replace your good bacteria. Well, my news is not so good :(  I have genital herpes 1 AND vulvodynia. The herpes probably caused nerve damage which causes me constant vaginal pain (vulvodynia). I'm taking acyclovir for herpes and Lyrica for the vulvodynia. At least I have some answers, but I don't like the answers. I am very depressed :(
I have been diagnosed with hpv just recently. I cried and cried to my now ex bf about how could this have happened, I have only been with him. Later on down the line I find he has been sleeping with ts. To make it worse I just had a leep procedure a month ago. I decided to have sex and now I have these white cluster around my vagina. Guys are very dirty ladies and if we do not pay attention, they will kill us off. I'm very devestated and I have to be secretive about myself down there, because some guy has been cheating the whole relationship!
I had unprotected sex the other day with someone, I know him and we have before, last time I got a bacterial infection but I thought it was a coincidence but now I have the same symptoms as worried_0123 and I am scared! I will go to the GYN Monday... I hope it's nothing serious, maybe next time I won't be stupid and day condum instead of just thinking it
I'm 16 never had sex but my periods has been irregular for some years and I recently started using tampons the first time I was using my tampon it filled up a lot which caused it to get stuck so I yanked it wich ripped my hymen.......now that was some months ago today or the past couple of days my vagina hole is like a freezer-burn white and it's this clearish white mixed discharge coming out.....I don't feel any irritation down there or itching I don't feel any thing uncomfortable I REALLY NEED HELP BEFORE I GO TO THE DOCTOR I DONT WANT MY MOM THINKING I HAD OR IS HAVING SEX