Why can't I stop dreaming?!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Why can't I stop dreaming?!

Here is some history: I'm 24, I have Anxiety/Panic disorder. I have been taking Effexor XR since April, and it seems to help with my symptoms. I also take Xanax as needed for panic attacks. This also helps. However, I have not been able to have one night's sleep without dreaming in 8 months! I told my psychiatrist, and she prescribed Ambian, which helped me fall asleep fast, but I still had dreams all night. Then she suggested taking the Xanax every night, starting with .5 mg. When that didn't work, she told me to try 2. Nothing helps. I dream all night long. Nightmares, stupid dreams, ex-boyfriend dreams, vacation dreams, high school dreams, etc. All freakin' night! I wake up in the morning feeling like my brain hasn't rested! It is getting really annoying. This happened to me a few years back when I was first diagnosed with Anxiety/Panic disorder. But it went away after about a month. This has been 8 months now!!! Does ANYONE out there know what is causing this and if there is some kind of medication out there that would help this?
we all dream every night... at least 4-5 of them at approx.90 min. intervals.sometimes people do not recall their dreams because of an illness, overly tired, certain meds., disinterest, repression.. dreams are doors to your unconscious. its just a matter if you are open to recalling them or not. dreams allow us to know ourselves a lot better, they are the real self, they convey messages (lots of them). if you can learn to interpret your dreams and apply what you have learned, they can give guidance and be a powerful tool for personal growth. i could go on forever about dreams and i love to analyze them. my friends are always asking me, ok, i had this dream about..what does that mean? i think the fact that you are aware you have been dreaming and just by talking about them is going to encourage more of them.

keep dreaming!!!
I used to be a great dreamer.  Like going to the movies every night.  I could even wake from a dream and go back into it.  I don't dream like I used to, but pretty close.  Sounds like you might not be getting enough deep sleep.  I know that depending on a sleep aid is not the best thing, but maybe for the short term it might be okay.  Talk with your doctor.  My sister takes Lunesta, and it does the job.  It's new on the market.  But, beware, take it lying in bed.  She fell asleep one night sitting in a chair with her laptop on her knees.  Didn't move an inch, and her thighs were quite hot from the computer.  The stuff works very quick.  The big negative to this medicine is the after taste it leaves in your mouth the next morning.  But she takes it when she needs a good night's sleep.  I hope you get a good night's sleep soon...
At least 2 to 4 times a week I have horrible nightmares. My boyfriend has to literally shake me awake. If I scream in my dream then I scream in real life. I don't have any trouble falling asleep I just seem to have terrible dreams. Sometimes I wake up and I am soaked in sweat. One night i was screaming and tossing and turning and in my dream something had grabbed my side and squeezed really hard and I woke up and it actually hurt there and I accused my boyfriend of doing it trying to wake me but he denied it.(maybe pain just in my head I dunno)

I have been thinking of going to see someone to see about taking something, but it's my unconscious mind at work so my question is, is there something to control that?

Any suggestions?
It seems that I wake up after every dream. If I don't get up and go to the bathroom, I go back to sleep and continue the dream.My last dream will always be about going to work at a new place and not being trained or really messing up. I'm unemployed, so I guess that it's a guilt thing.I take Valium, but it doesn't give me a good night's sleep and I think that it causes weird dreams.
I'm also takimg med for hypothyroid. Hard to find a good night's sleep adding that to the mix. Take care.
Cat
I have dreams about my husband.We don't even sleep in the same room anymore.We basically stay together for financial reasons.If I could get out of this marriage, I'm sure that my husband dreams would go away. Take care.
Cat
The Effexor. I take it, (Effexor-XR, 300 mg), too. I think it says on the side effects thingy "may cause abnormal dreams that should subside after prolonged use" or something pharmaceutical to that effect. I didn't remember my dreams but once in a while before taking this med., now I can remember at least one a night on average--for 2 1/2 years. Usually they are normal, just about my day but VERY vivid. I dreamt a conversation with a coworker that I had been meaning to have the other day, and had to ask her if I had already had the conversation with her or not! Sometimes they are bizarre, though not usually scary but the brain does interesting things with processing info while you sleep and with the anxety component, that may have something to do with your nightmares. But I would bet money and a lot of it that it's the Effexor. My doctor gave me a vague answer when I asked about it but I have heard this often from other people on the types of antidepressant that Effexor is.
Thanks all for your comments! Graystreet, I think you're on to something with the Effexor. Although, I THINK I started dreaming like this BEFORE I was on it. I can't remember anymore. But I also sometimes can't tell if something really happened, or if I dreamed it! While I don't mind remembering my dreams once in awhile, this is really starting to ruin my daily life! I also fall asleep right away, but it's like I can't get passed that REM sleep. I wake up EXHAUSTED, like I haven't ever fallen asleep. And if I talk about someone during the day, I dream about them all night. If I have a bad day at work, I dream about it. I'll even dream I'm still working at places I haven't worked at in years. It's so weird! I'm getting so sick of it. I can't even take a 1/2 hour cat nap without dreaming very vividly!
dreams is stuff you think sbout subconciously you dont even realize you think about these things because there in your subconcious thoughts hope its some kind of help
I haven't ever dreamt since my prepubescent days. I am 52 now and have been bipolar for years. I take multiple medications and was having dream-less sleep(ah, I miss it) until my dose of Seroquel was adjusted to 300mg in the morning and 700mg at night.  I think this dosage is correct, but I'm tired of dreaming. Any
feedback would be greatly appreciated.

The Wolf
A few years ago i was on high blood pressue meds for about 7 months without having high blood pressure. I tensed up when the doctor took my pressure that gave a high reading. After 6 months  with severe side effects resulted in an anxiety disorder caused by fear of the unknown. About 3 months in i started dreaming every night. This has been going on for the last four years and i cannot stop the dreaming. There is one way that worked for me that i do not understood. Whenever i get a headache i take advil pain reliver. I fall into a deep sleep without dreaming. This works but if you took this nightly you will be soon hooked on pain killers. I think this medication relaxes the nervous system to the point where it is not on high alert. You fall into a deep sleep. I also read that the only way to remember dreams is if you awake during rem sleep. Maybe the nervous system is so hightened that dreaming is enough to wake you during the hightened state of rem sleep. These are all just theories i came up with during my research. Most professionals just tell me dreaming is normal. I say yes but not everyday for years on end. If anyone has an answer please let me know. Thanks.  
Wow! It's interesting to read everyoneone's comments, at least I know I'm not alone. As someone diagnosed with Bipolar Disorder II, I take Effexor and have been diagnosed with an anxiety disorder and also take Xanax but frankly I feel I have dreamed vividly for years before taking these medications. Usually I'm okay with the vivid dreams but now and then they seem problematic because I am very tired when I awaken and carry the "dream residue" throughout the day. Plus, I don't seem to get a break from the dreaming so sometimes I feel I never sleep but am always living various lives. My psychiatrist and general practioner don't seem to feel it is a problem, but rather a side effect, that i must accept along with the good of the medicine. Perhaps so. I appreciate others sharing their comments. I think one day, more will be revealed.

Lucille.
I agree with your doctors.  Dreaming is a fact of life and I think that those of us who maybe more sensitive than others,  dream more.  While some dreams can be disturbing, they must be regarded as the brain clearing up all the random thoughts of the day and trying to make sense of them at the same time. Its a function of the brain and should be regarded as such. Meaningless trivia.
Hey , I noticed the same thing when I took a tylenol 3-4 times for a headache and got some deep sleep with no dreaming although I dont recommend it to anyone.I started dreaming nonstop everynight since 4-5 years ago am currently seeing a pschiatrist who stated it was normal but I disagree cause I didnt before and now I wake up so tired mentally and physically.Ive tried the assortment of sleep aids both perscription and herbal they just get me drowsy but the dreaming is still there (bad quality of sleep).Ive also seen a neurologist and he stated it might be a chemical imbalance. Ive also had lots of blood work done that came back normal too and am currently on meds for anxiety,depression although the dreaming was there before the meds mind you although I did have some rootcanals /dental work done right before the dreaming started I wonder if theres any relation?Anybody else have any dental work done or surgeries Prior to the dreaming state?Has anyone seen a holistic healer or witch to ask them what causes this?Hey you have to try all avenues.I use to only need 5 -7 hours sleep tops but it was good sleep, miss those days.
I used to take effexor xr for generalized anxiety disorder and I have had dreams like this before, during, and after...  i can think of a handful of times i have gone for a bit without recalling my dreams.  i have studied dreams as a psychologist and interestingly have never made this connection.  i literally am so sick of my dreams that i googled "how to stop dreaming" and came across this blog.  i think it is more to do with anxiety than the meds.  especially when you read all of these entries, that seems to be the one thing we all have in common...high anxiety.  I can relate to the ruining of ones life because currently what i dream about is all i can think about during the day and just when i finally get my mind off it...i wake up in the middle of the night wanting to cry (or worse) because i am so upset from my dreams.  i want to keep  my mind right and positive in a particular situation, trust my heart, but my head keeps interferring and making this compulsive replaying of my memories lose grasp on reality and the sub conscious fears.  
i am 39 yrs old and have been having nightmares EVERY night for the past 23 yrs. i have been to several sleep clinics, taken too many prescribed medications to mention and have been to psychologist/psyciatrists and the list goes on. nothing has ever helped me get rid of the nightmares. it's very aggravating to have medical professionals tell you that dreaming is normal but have no real answers for nightmares.  i'm sure it is normal for people to dream every night but to have nightmares every night is entirely different.  i would pay anything to have just one nights sleep without nightmares. i have recently been prescribed Seroquel and started at 25mg and have just started 100mg. the only result of taking the medication is a more vivid nightmare experience!  i have heard every suggestion listed in the prior comment before, believe me. any new suggestions will would be GREAT!!!!
I am 29 yrs old and feel like I am crazy. I recently broke up with my boyfriend, who has moved on very quickly. I have had non-stop nightmares and dreams which wake me up about every hour or so. I am on the anxiety/depression med. Lexapro and I am seeing a therapist which help control the emotional rollercoaster. But these nightmares are preventing me to move on because I can't get him out of my head. It literally consumes my whole day because I am not getting enough deep sleep and all I am thinking about is how horrible my dreams are. I really don't know what to do . . . I am afraid if these last much longer that I am going to go crazy. My friends and family are already seeing the negative change in me and they don't understand what I am going through. I feel so distant from everything and everyone. I really want my life back without these nightmares. Can anyone help!?

Desperately looking for answers. . . .
I've had similar experiences for years now. I also have an anxiety disorder and I dream nonstop every single night and wake up feeling exhausted and sore, like I've been working out all night or something. The only thing I've found that helps this is to clear my mind right before I go to sleep. My therapist taught me a great relaxation exercise that helps me get to sleep. It's called progressive muscle relaxation. Here's a link: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Progressive_relaxation
You might want to ask your therapist about relaxation techniques and such. I found that it really helps me when I'm feeling especially anxious and my anxiety overall isn't as bad as it used to be.

Also, try not to dwell on the negative and find positive things in your life to focus on. I find that focusing on something nice right before I go to bed gives me better dreams. They're still dreams but at least they're not nightmares.

Just know that you aren't alone, people go through this kinda thing everyday. I've been dealing with this for a long time, and am doing just fine these days. Once you learn how to cope with it, it gets a lot better. Hope I've helped and hope things get better for you.
It most definitely seems like anxiety has a lot to do with this dreaming issue we're all sharing. Like a few of you have stated, I also remember having this "over dreaming" problem before the medication and the anxiety, which begs the question 'is this possibly a reason for the anxiety?' I couldn't really believe when after 100's of tests my doctor told me I had anxiety, and sent me to a psychiatrist (which has been a really good thing i must admit), but i've never really been depressed or anxious as far as I can remember, and then about 3 years ago I had an attack. I think that maybe after an extended period of bad sleep, maybe anxiety develops due to the lethargy that comes from this somehow.
It seems really odd that doctors and psychiatrists have not looked into this further, as clearly there are quite a few people out there going through this.
Anyway, sorry I couldn't post a cure for you all, but I thought i would give my 2 cents, and give a big thanks for starting this post, as it does help to know i'm not alone with this.

Cheers all.
i dream about 80% in my life and out of all this dreams i see things, i hear people who are in need and i even have dreams about my relatives who were long gone, i have mightmares about 40% of my dreams i even scream in real life when something went wrong, i tell myself its just a dream. about four weeks ago i experience a very unexpected thing whatever you call it, i see things in my dream and when i woke up its happeing at the same time, i was always alone in my inlaws house and i started to see things i dont want to be seen, i tell my husband about it and he said its probably b-cuz im scared too much or something, so yeah i have weird dreams and i eevn dream about things that were happeing later on in our family and i ask myself the same question why me? sometimes i thought maybe i have some kind of connection with the dead but i dont wanna think of it that way, have you even wonder what if things come to life? like toys and stuff like that! i dream about it and i woke up feeling a little sick and see everything in our house gathering right around me, i have never been so scared in all my life, i've seen things but not this worst. my husband was going to have the bishop talk to me and see if he can help wiht my problems but i didnt want it to happen i was scared what if this is gonna make things obvious to my dead friends and make them come to me more often? so yeah thats how i think about it, but yeah the point is dreams are messages to us, they tell us things and all we need to do is listen and hear it, im kinda getting used to it now and its never going away, maybe i just needed to do something about it but i think that my dreams are trying to make me see the real person i am. we all dream and we all have different ways of receiving our messeges so yeah i hope non of you is experiencing the same thing i am going through, to whoever who posted this question! you should feel lucky to have dreams and not a nightmare, i hope you can find  a cure cuz obviously mine will stay with me for a long long time.
I have had a dream disorder for 6 years now.  Every single time I sleep I wake up in the dream stage.  I have also heard how great it is to dream but it is ruining my life!!  I have not had ONE rested night of sleep in 6 years.  The dreams are not nightmares just about whatever, no rhyme or reason.  I have been tested for every medical thing possible and tried so many medications and nothing has helped.  If anyone ever hears of a solution for this please let me know.
Have hope. There is a solution.
Here’s my story, in case it helps anyone:  I too have an anxiety disorder (GAD) and for most of my life have woken up in dream-sleep - still tired - every time I wake up (no matter how long I've slept).  But, during a brief, blissful period when I was seeing a highly-rated psychiatrist, who focused solely on cognitive-behavioral therapy, I was able to wake up feeling rested and energized - even after only 5-6 hours of nightly sleep (as opposed to my usual 8-9 hours, which I wake up from feeling as though I haven't slept at all, and which I'm reluctant to wake up from because I feel as though I still have things to resolve/problems to solve in my dreams- problems that are mostly fictional, which have never, and never do, materialize in my "real" waking life.) Also during this period when I was getting the best sleep of my life (which also happened to be a very stressful time in my life), I remember feeling more focused and productive than ever (i.e. while I usually feel that there just aren’t enough hours in the day to get done what needs to be done - let alone things I’d actually enjoy doing, during this time, I felt as though there was plenty of time for everything - and I truly did accomplish a lot).  I told my psychiatrist about the wonderful changes, which I found remarkable for the following reasons: (1) I was being treated for anxiety, not sleep problems - problems I had never mentioned to my psychiatrist (because, at the time, I didn’t realize they were problems; I thought that’s what happened to everyone when they slept); (2) these changes occurred very early on in my treatment (after only 3 or 4 sessions/about 2-3 weeks into treatment); and (3) my treatment had “only” consisted of breathing exercises and muscle-relaxation exercises, combined with talks with my psychiatrist (with the exception of a couple of low-dosage Xanax tablets I had used to get through a few rounds of interviews without panicking).  I was taking no other medications at all at the time (unless you count my daily multi-vitamin). I also was not exercising (except for doing household chores and walking back and forth to my car, etc.)  My psychiatrist told me that I felt so much more rested and energized because, previously, my brain had not been resting while I was sleeping - instead it just kept going, thinking anxious thoughts throughout the night.   I will try to find my notes on the type of breathing and muscle-relaxation exercises I was doing, and then I’ll post another entry on this site when I do (I’ll do this for myself and for the rest of you because, you see, once I fell out of the habit of doing those exercises and stopped seeing my psychiatrist, my dream/sleep problems returned.  That’s why I stumbled upon this site; I was hoping to pinpoint the solution, and with the help of those who posted before me - whose experiences have helped to enlighten my own experiences- it looks like we’ll find a way to get rested and feel better.)
Ok girls and boys I am not sure who is in this list more so fill me in. I am 54 this year for the past two years I dream all night long. For the last year its even worse can you even  think it could be? I dream all night nothing really relaxing or pleasant,I wake up all night tossing and turning from side to sid eup and down. My alarm is set for 6:30 I jump right up get out of bed and get ready for work. My husband says to me how can you do that you haven't slept all night! I do it in fear of dreaming any longer. I am exhausted but need to get out of the bed. I get really tired around 3:00 in the afternoon but I keep on going I do not nap every its jus tnot me can't!
Do I take anything? Not now I have tried it all amiben ,P.M. Lunesta, none o fit works. I am not over weight good condition no problems with my heath just plain old every day life problems. I just said to my husband tonight I am tired out I aske dhim once agin how it is he sleeps he answered good,dreams some up always realxing and good thoughts.So with this all said jus twanted all of you to know I take nothing an I do the same, Seen Doctors known telling me I am Bipolar? So what is it? I sure do not know other than the fact I know my body is change I call it MENTAL PAUSE. I can't wait to some day once agin to just sleep to peace tha tI get as I look up toward the sky and see the clouds and see just nothing up peace.
hello everyone.
  I'm tired.  Every night when I go to sleep I cant shut off my brain.  There is alot of stress in my life as of late.  I have always had very vivid dreams, and 99% of the time I remember every detail.  People are in pure shock when I describe a dream to them because I can remember it like someone would remember a movie they had seen a hundred times.  Up until lately it hasnt really been a problem for me, I would just get right into it and enjoy the show.  But lately it seems like I am just an outsider watching, half asleep/half awake.  I am even able to control the dream if I dont enjoy the direction its going in.  So I lay in bed, watching myself dream, knowing that I am dreaming and it doesnt feel like sleep at all. Even when I wake up in the morning, im still 80 % in my dream. If its a good one, ill go back into it changing it as I go along.  I just want to go to sleep and actually sleep, not do all the things I didnt have time to do during the day... in a dream.  It is especially frustrating because even though I am accomplishing things and I feel like Im getting things done I am half awake and I know that its only a dream.  I just want to sleep.   I have tried reading  a book before I go to sleep because I used to have toruble falling to sleep but that only helps me get to dream land.  I has no effect on just sleeping, without being kept awake by a dream. can someone help me?
Courtney  26
It sounds to me like there is alot of habit going on in this thread.....Anxiety causes alot of habit because we create a habit to fight of the thoughts we want to stop thinking about so we are not anxious anymore (i hope that makes sense to you all lol) Mostly everyone in this thread is on meds and this vivid continuous intense dreamy state is also a side affect of meds.......now if you were to work on a new habit lets say a brisk walk to flush out any adrenalin meditation to relax the mind and release all the thoughts in the brain and memory relax the nerves, then go sleep in a different room and instead of letting the thought of "im going to dream intense and toss and turn" enter your mind entertain the thought of "im rested relaxed and i look forward to deep relaxation" give this a try you have nothing to lose.
I don't take any medications, and don't have nightmares, but I am similar to some of you in that I dream every night, can sometimes control the dreams, wake up exhausted, and am really tired of all the dreams. My dreams started about six to seven years ago. I've had hyperthyroidism (about six years ago, fine now) and TMJ syndrome (a year ago, still ongoing). Both are supposedly caused by stress. Through my work, and my nature, I have been a "stressed out" person for the past ten years or so. It has been really helpful reading all of your posts as I try to self-diagnose why I keep having all these exhausting dreams. In now thinking back to six or seven years ago, I realize it's when I started watching television a lot. (Like two or three hours a day.) Before then, I hardly watched at all. (Like two or three hours a week.) So I am going to try my new television theory (although it's going to kill me to pry myself away from something I've become so dependent on :)) and see how it goes. Thank you so much for all your posts!
I'm a 24 yo girl and all my life I've had terrible dreams, hundreds, at least 5 a night and I can remember them all so clearly when I wake up. My dreams are often more real than my day-life. I'm always emotionally drained and for so long I was a zombie and became trapped in my half-awake, half-dream state world of memories, grief, disasters and never-ending epics.

I was an insomniac for 9 months, sleeping less than 5 hours a week and it was probably the best year of my life, then I got into a serious relationship and started sleeping again and the dreams came back.

The ANSWER WAS my friend. She told me not to eat anything of substance before bed. It is so hard to do. No red meat, and no sugar for at least six hours before sleep, no dairy, no fats... I really look forward to breakfast now!

And I sleep... I still dream maybe one dream a night, occasionally they are bad, but it helped me a lot. I can now sleep enough to live and interact during the day time without seeming to be a mental withheld zombie.

I hope this might help someone else too.
God, there are so many idiots posting to this thread "just enjoy your dreams, we are supposed to dream" - what ******* part of "ruining lives" don't you get?!
Idiots.
Thank you so much for al of your comments. I have terrible nightmares and have had them for the past 7 months. They started after I had surgery and I was on pain medication. I then had brain surgery and continued on pain meds. I have been off of the pain medications for over a month and the nightmares have actually gotten worse. I will try the relaxation and breathing exercises and not eating before bed and see how that works. I have not had a good nights sleep in so long it will be a miracle if I get one. Last night was so bad that I thought I was being choked to death and now I am afraid to go to sleep tonight fearing that I will not wake up. It is so terrible. I at least know that I am not alone.
I'm the same way as everyone else on this thread! Very Vivid dreams, my boyfriend thinks I should just be a author b/c of how intense and ridiculous my dreams are! I also walk and talk in my sleep. My mom found me in the neighbors swimming pool once! I'll even have an entire conversation with you while asleep and swear to you that i'm awake, but nothing I'm saying makes any sense! Ive been like this for years but its getting worse with age, probably because more is being expected of me. I'm twenty years old and have seen many doctors over this, it all seems to point towards anziety and how I'm handeling it DURING the day. If I keep it all in and dont deal with a problem in my waking hours it'll affect me while sleeping. What helps me is drinking a glass of wine before bed (over the counter PM stuff just makes me drowsy all day) and making a list of everything I have to get done the next day or anything I didnt get done that day. Just get it all out so youre not dealing with it while sleeping... I will look into the breathing and relaxation techneques too, I think there may be promise there. Dreaming is nice especially if you have a good imagination but if its all the time you really have to do something about it, especially when you have a hard time distiguishing dreams from life. Good luck to everyone, its good to know I'm not crazy!!!! haha
I'm not on any medication although I do have anxiety and various other mental health issues. I've always remembered my dreams, but recently every time I sleep I'm having crazy dreams that I can't shake when I wake up. 3 hours ago I woke up, from a two hour sleep, crying because I had been dreaming about holding a gun to a small girls face. I haven't been able to get back to sleep at all, and now I have to be up in less than 3 hours. These dreams are ruining my life, screwing with my sleep pattern and leaving me exhausted. Are there any tips/meds that could help? Everyone suggests dream journals but that only keeps the dream in my thoughts longer. I usually feel reasonably relaxed when I fall asleep so "thinking happy thoughts" achieves nothing. Slightly relieved to know I'm not the only one suffering - was starting to think I was losing it a little. Good luck to everyone with the same problem.
smoke pot
smoke pot
hey i've been reading these threads and IM GOING THRU THE EXACT  SAME THING :(
im only 17 tho , and ever since decemeber i started having many sleepless nights and it only got worse.
my doctor gave me lorezepam the sleeping pill , but it didnt help.
but then in march i started sleeping again. but it was horrible because i keep having so many freakin dreams , and then waking up. and then dreaming again, and im never getting any good damn sleep. this whole problem all together has been ruining my life , so if anyone has any really good ideas or tips, that would really help, thanks
These medications will only help you till a certain degree.

Panic attack/anxiety... you are really dealing with demons/evil spirits.

To make it easy to understand:

Sin = problems = open doors in your soul to demons activities.

Panic attack/anxiety disorder = spirit of fear...

Solution:

Come to the light, come to Jesus.

Ask Him for His Holy Spirit to heal your wounded soul.

If it's not you that sinned, then you are being affected by the sins of your forefathers, and if that's the case don't blame them, forgive!

Once you accept Jesus (His teachings into your heart) you will be born again of the Spirit. But your soul will need to be restored by the power of His Holy Spirit.

This may take sometime to heal, but once you are healed these evil spirits  won't harass you again.

Important:

Be humble, love and live the word of God. Jesus loves you and He died for us because we all sinned against God.

Once you do this, you, your children and your children's children will be blessed!

e-mail me: ***@**** if you have more questions.

God bless.

The problem with anxiety is lack of trust in God.

You will only get rid of it when you start to know Jesus/obey His word, then His Holy Spirit will guide you and give you power to overcome anxiety and bad dreams.

Remember: sin = pornography, forgivingness, lack of understanding of God's word... this things attract evil spirits/fear, bad dreams...

So be careful with what you watch, and live a holy life. I'm sure you will be ok if you truly do this things!

Otherwise you will be stuck with these evil spirits because you put your own toughs above Gods word.

Jesus loves you. Get to know Him.

I have had similar dreams as Daydreamer78 when my boyfriend (at the time) and I broke up. It was horrible to have the nightmares about him all of the time.

I have had dreams my entire life. I still remember dreams I had as a child from power rangers to being one of the cartoon simpsons (and am now 24 years old). I have come to the conclusion that they do not mean anything other than anxiety and stress of the day (if they are bad) and if they are just weird, neutral or good then it doesn't bother me as much- just mixed consciousness. I think that it could be the brains jumble of thoughts (conscious and subconscious) coming up.

It helps for me to talk about the bad dreams. I almost always try to get some of my dreams off my chest asap. it helps me move on in the day (as long as the person i am talking to reminds me it is not at all real). A lot of my nightmares are insecurities and fears due to anxiety. when I do not have bad dreams, I know that things are getting better. It is hard to feel refreshed when you have nightmares but for me, talking it out helps. When I do not have anyone to talk to, think about how it is not real or true and most likely just insecurities. Turning on a movie that makes me feel good helps (STAYING AWAY FROM gore movies or feel bad movies). I think it makes things much worse to go to sleep watching a scary movie or seeing something to that nature. I avoid violent movies and movies that make me feel worse after even if I am not going to sleep.

I often pray after a nightmare. I believe that God has a plan. I trust in God. It definitely helps. We are human and people dream. It simply helps me to pray to God when going through any difficulty. (I am christian so I mean God the creator of all things and the father of Jesus)

I dream almost every night and I have a very good long term memory (although my short term memory is not very good). It is a sure thing that I will remember a dream if I wake up and then go back to sleep. Maybe I am not getting very good sleep. I am often tired and do not feel rested in the morning.

I think a big part of having nightmares is due to anxiety but regardless, I dream. It bothers me most when they are bad dreams. I think it is important to get anxiety under control especially if nightmares are regular.  I would guess nightmares are partially due to depression and anxiety if they are re-occurring, but could just be random subconscious thoughts being skewed or distorted. I know that my dreams feel amplified with emotion so if the dream is sad or bad, it really feels like my heart is sinking and it is hard to get rid of that feeling when waking up since (for me) it is not just a feeling in the dream, it is a feeling after the dream. I just make an effort to feel better after (since it can spoil a perfectly good day).

Hope this helps anyone struggling with dreams.
These are just things that help me... everyone is different so everyone has their take on dreams, what they mean and how to stop them or forget them.

This is just my opinion on the matter at the moment.
Guys relax. Everybody dream every night. some remember them some don't. you should be blessed if you do. Use your dreams as a learning tool about yourselves. if you are having anxiety its very probable that your dreams will relate to the cause of your anxiety. Don't be afraid to dream for they teach about your unconsciousness. By being on pills you are increasing the process to deep sleep and that’s why you can remember most of your dreams for they occur in deep sleep. The daily feeling of tiredness is a mind set, seeing that your body actually does get some rest. I recommend everyone to check this link about dreams.

http://allphilosophy.com/topic/234

Dream On
I agree 100% with "merkator". People who make comments like these are not genuine sufferers and don't know what they are talking about. My problems started 10 years ago. I suffered with painful joints all over my body which took hospitals 2 years to diagnose as Fibromyalgia. At the time I was still working full time and running a home with a family. In the end my body gave up, and I collapsed with total fatigue, followed by shingles and then anxiety and depression. The dreaming started at around the same time. Prescribed Effexor to control panic attacks which helped greatly, still taking them even now and probably will have to for ever. My dreams are just like other people have described, very vivid, cant differentiate what has happened for real and what was in my dreams. My brain feels like a "washing machine", everything is inside, but all jumbled up. Friends think it funny when I tell them about my dreams but in reality it is very exhausting. Sleep depravity is the worst thing. Even after 10 years of suffering, I am still in bed for 10-12 hours most days. I would like to say sleeping, but as we know, it is just dreaming and even when you wake up you still go back into that dream again. My dreams seem to be getting worse now, whereas they used to be very vivid, you know the sort you could write a movie about, well now I am starting to scream and shout out, also thrashing around as well. My GP has given me Zopiclone sleeping pill to take occasionally just to break the pattern. It does work on that particular night but then back to usual after that. I dont want to become addicted to sleeping pills so just have to suffer. Needless to say, I gave up work at the beginning of my illness, no choice about it. However I can honestly say that I didnt expect to still feel like this 10 years later.
I continue to have vivid bizarre dreams nightly since I began taking Effexor XR as well. It is horrible. Extremely difficult to wake up in the morning and I'm exhausted after a full night's sleep. On my days off, I can nap all day too because I'm so tired. Effexor has literally saved my life and after going through so may other treatments / drugs I am extremely reluctant to give it up.
ONE THING THAT HAS HELPED ME: I can avoid the crazy exhausting dreams sometimes by leaving a book on tape playing all night or a calm movie playing on a loop all night. I take my laptop and or mp3 player to bed with me. I fall asleep easily so it works for me because I sleep alone. I often dream about what's going on in the book/movie, but it's not as vivid and exhausting.  
this really helped. reading everyone elses problems doesnt make me feel so alone. i was starting to think something was wrong with me im only 22 i feel so tired everydayi want to sleep more but hate sleeping because of all the dreams i feel like im not even in my bed most of the time.  i look "dead" or like a zombie with dark circles around my eyes all the time. i dont know where it is i go when i "sleep" but i know im very much awake.  and to all you assholes who think we should enjoy this **** its not fun im tired! soo soo tired.

i had a dream about the end of the world that was very disturbing to me not so much the concept but just everything that happened watching people and animals die and others trying to hide from the checmical air  war and everything thing was so vivid i woke up very emotional..i spoke to a being who was in the ocean with me as i gazed at all the beautiful fish who were laying dead i promised it, man kind would be better and we wouldnt hurt anything living anymore if it would let everyone come back..in my thoughts tho i knew i made a promise i couldnt keep and that broke my heart even more. the being i spoke to in water had life on her lips she was the one that created everything and was just as sad as me to see the way things had gone with the air chemical that man created to kill everything but she restored all life. i will never forget the sadness i saw in her eyes tho. that was one of like 4 other dreams i had yesterday i just wanted to wake up soo bad i was so scared
I found this site while trying to find out why i dream all night ,i wake up go to the bathroom ,go back to bed fall asleep just to start dreaming again.I dont think this is normal because if so then you would think everyone would do this.I have done this for so long im 44 years old and so tired all the time .it makes me feel like im 70 or 80 years old....NOT NORMAL...im going to talk to my doctor about this and i do have sleep apnea and sleeping with a cpap machine dosn't help and i have insomnia and i awaken in the morning in pain with stiff joints .i have always been scared to talk to people ...even my doctor afraid they would think im mentaly ill....but after finding this site and other sites like this has encouraged me to talk to my doctor .....so wish me luck!!!!
I don't take any anxiety or antidepressant medication. I dream every night though and they are always weird, long and vivid. I know the whole "everyone dreams every night, but you don't always remember them"... I went to boarding school, and i was the only person out of 50 people who had this problem. I wake up every morning and I'm still tired, everyone loved hearing my dreams at breakfast. All the other kids would have a dream to talk about occasionally, but i am EVERY morning.

I'm 18, and I can't find anything on the internet to help me STOP dreaming - I can't remember my last dreamless night. I really just want to go to sleep and wake up without remembering my dreams, I just want a good nights sleep. My dreams aren't scary or anything like that, just tiring.
The problem for many of us who have "dream apnea" is not the dreams at all but the waking up after the dreams and the realness of the dreams as to having a tiring or emotional drain on you,not invigorating or enlightening..Those who think that regular dreams are the same type as those who dream excessively are usually dream analysis freaks or don't pay attention to what others are saying.Its not about the dreams its about not getting any rest.
For those who think its about mental issues of any kind you are wrong.People who are happy,sad,successful,enlightened,confused,all have excessive dreaming.The fact that physical conditions like weather change,temperature,travel, diet drugs and other things contribute to some peoples excessive dreaming points to chemical triggers in the brain and not ego centered "dream analysis"as to a cause.
Marijuana is reported to control excessive dreaming,even amounts below intoxicating levels.I suggest sufferers journal their diets and physical factors including exposure to pollutants (location)to see if you can spot factors that regularly occur before or help reduce your dreaming.Good luck
Dreamaholic
Ive been dreaming constantly for a good month now.. i recently got laid off and been having some girl troubles. im only 22 and i feel like i cant turn my brain off. ive smoked weed since i was 16 but have recently cut back due to me thinking its had something to do with not being able to stop thinking. Is  there something wrong with me? How do i know if i have anxiety? i dont want to get on any medication to help me sleep cause ive usually always slept really well, probably cause the mary jane. I just need help on how to manage my thoughts and to stay positive. i feel like this is gonna ruin my life and im in a hole i cant escape. ive been having problems with ED and im only 22 also another thing i feel i cant escape...im stumped on what to do.. other than go see my doctor. ugghh dear brain ppplzzz stfu!
i too dream every day night i want to stop it as it is disturbing me a lot.....i dream some new places,waterfalls,mountains which i have never seen in my life...sometime i see some new people whom i have never met in life.... any ideas to share
Try looking into narcolepsy. Gets miss diagnosed for bi polar all too often.
Glad I found you all although it won't help except for feeling part of a larger group of people who aren't sleeping well because of dreams. I am on no medications and have dreamed like this forever. Yell and talk and even have dreams when I am being hurt and feel it in my dreams.  As I am aging it just seems to take more and more outta me so the next day I feel like I haven't slept at all.  
So my question is HOW to increase the deep sleep portion of our nights and reduce the lenght of time we are in the dreaming part. Any ideas?
I will try to not watch TV (altho that never influences my dream) and I will write down all my worries (have been using virtual worry dolls) and try relaxation techniques and foods I eat and when. Did I sum up the last 8 years of this thread!?

Good luck to you all and if you ever have a breakthrough, tell us!
One more question:
ANybody ever try melatonin? I was going to try it to help me go to sleep but i read it may cause "vivd dreams and nighmares". So what happens when one of us (yes we have bonded) takes something that might cause this? THAT is a slightly scary scenerio!
I need help too! Have been diagnosed with anxiety - had quite a few stressful months to say the least - just trying to get back to normal - but keep remembering my dreams vividly every morning - even when I just go for a nap. It feels like I'm not getting enough quality sleep - I look tired all the time, the dreams also play on my mind as well - it's not nice! Have been experiencing this for around 4-5 months now!!
Just was wondering why I can recall vivid dreams for 2 - 3 hours each night, more than all of my friends and partner do, didn't seem normal, although I am a fairly normal 24yr old woman and so I googled it and found this forum.  I am quiet an anxious, highly strung person always have been, so by the looks of it dreaming may be connected, have just started yoga consistantly with meditation and breathing techniques, helps with anxiety at the time to clear all the mind chatter I wonder if it will help reduce the dreaming if I continue long term...
I think one person nailed the issue, anxiety at some level affects sleep. Remove anxiety, be able to relax, & sleep will come. I too have many of the symptoms discussed above. The only way I can get rid of them is totally relax, do they come back, yes sometimes but not for a while. How do I relax, the only thing that works for me is a 'stress eraser', a small electronic device that helps you control your breathing & clear your thoughts (google it). I read the entries to see if drugs could help, if only for a while, now I know they won't. Thank you to all who have written, & I hope you find a solution, I will continue to try & find a long term answer too, Jamie
I also would suggest going to church (if you're not too sick).  I wasn't having any sleeping problems until recently and I haven't been to church in 3 weeks and I think that's one of the reasons why.  Also praying and reading your bible.  Getting together with people who go to church and have Jesus in their life.  That HELPS a lot.  You will sleep like a baby then.
I'm 24 but I've had these dreams all of my life and my mom has them too. Of course I have the usual.. severe panic disorder, depressive disorder, and social phobia but the dreams started before all of those really got worse. I remember my dreams, at least 1 or 2 a night, and that's part of the problem. They are so real! When I wake up in the morning I'm just exhausted, I'm tired all day. I've tried dream crystals and dream catchers.. no i'm not a hippy but I'll try anything.. when I used the dream crystal the amount of the "bad" dreams went down but I still woke up all the time and in the morning I was exhausted... hm.. Maybe I should elaborate on the dreams.. I have the "bad" dreams which range from just me laying in bed but knowing I'm asleep and I can't wake up, I've dated people who could tell when it was happening and they would wake up but mostly I have to make my body shake itself awake. It's really creepy,, then I have dreams where I wake up and get out of bed, walk into the living room and there's a demon just standing in the middle of the room or I'll look over the edge of my bed and writhing bodies in hell have replaced my floor. It gets to where I keep dreaming when I'm awake, I hallucinate.. I either hear or see things.. it was really bad a few nights ago though.. the cabinets looked like they were breathing and my hands had the "sparkler effect" I felt like I was tripping and I don't do drugs. I take trazadone at night to stay asleep because if I don't I wake up after every dream.. and I start dreaming as soon as I fall asleep as annoying as that is. It's the only phase of sleep I go through, stupid head is all messed up but my mom has that problem to. If anyone has any suggestions please let me know.. I'm so tired.
Thank you, all of you for letting me know that I am not by myself. I googled " how can I stop dreaming" and this was the first site I came to. It was faith. I needed all of your words, thought and feelings. I am not alone. That was so important to me. By reading everyones post, I see that this is not something that will go away. We are a rare few..... Those who say this is " just dreaming" and " to enjoy it" will never know what we are going through. I would like to ask them to stay up for days and days and then try to function. They would never be able to do it. They would be the one who would complain after one sleepless night. We have no choice. We have to function with our day to day lives even though we did this all night and into the morning.

Thank you for all for letting me into your life and sharing your stories.
I knew I wasn't crazy

Depression, anxiety, panic attacks, even OCD are all related to excessive dreaming, the dreams keep you in REM state for too long preventing the brain to stay in NREM sleep where your body is restored, that's why you always awake feeling exhausted and very tired no matter how long you sleep, in fact, the longer you sleep the worse: your brain will be stuck in REM sleep most of those hours, that's why sleep deprivation can "cure" depression at least temporarily: you just don't get on REM sleep for too much time. Awakening in the middle of a dream can be seen as your body attempt to lift from the exhausting REM state.

Read this web site NOW, it will explain everything better then me, it talks about mostly about depression but you'll learn how excessive dreaming plays a role in many disorders:

http://www.clinical-depression.co.uk/depression-learning-path/

Hope this help.
What a depressing topic to read. I started dreaming heavily a year or 2 ago and it's destroying me. Everytime I wake up I remember every detail. On a rare occasion I'll be awake inside the dream, conscious and moving, trying out ridiculous things because I'm dreaming, only to wake up shortly ever. Random stuff. People I haven't met in years, the girl I fell in love with when I was 11 years old, work scenarios, the end of the world, monster attacks, political discussions, completely random. I started writing down my dreams hoping there was a message in between the lines but reading the lines back after I wrote them, it's like a crazy person wrote down his thoughts.

I came here looking for a solution, but all I find is more people with problems. All the suggestions here, I've heard a million times before. Calm down at night, pray to the lord, visit a therapist. I can't calm down that which I cannot control, I'm an atheist and these overprices therapists give me nothing but worthless advice that worked for their other patients.

For those that share these problems, and by the read of this topic there are many of you, you have my sympathies. I would wish this condition or whatever you call it unto no man.
Excuse me....But I have a GREAT relationship with God and Jesus. You have no idea. I love them and they love me. They love everybody. Get a clue.
You are WRONG!!!!! My sugar levels are completely normal and I have had a glucose tolerance test.........I did not know there were other people like me. I am so tired. I just want to sleep and feel rested. I too have also had vivid dreams since I was a toddler. I'm fixing to get back to the forum to see what else everyone is saying. I also grind my teeth (have always done this) and have arthritis in my neck (now that I am older) (56). I wake up and HURT!!! My grandmother and I are just alike in this respect and come to think of it, she also had vivid dreams as did other people in my family. btw - my husband is tired of listening to my dreams. also btw - I'm diagnosed as  being ADD. Maybe I'm really not. I just never get any rest and am tired all the time.
Just about a month or so ago,
I started dreaming every night non stop,very extensive and descriptive. I feel so tiresome and exhausted. I dream about ex boyfriends,weird events,old memories of parents , just weird old things......I don't get it. I just need some advice,please. Email me at. ***@****
i smoke one or two "zol" before i go to sleep and i don´t dream anything :D
The best solution that works for me every time to prevent the detailed and excessive dreaming - is to be creative.   Many of us go through our daily routine and never use the part of our brain that allows us to think up thinks and provide solutions.  So at night, our brain does it for us.  Take up a hobby - paint, take pictures, sew, fix the leaky faucet, write a poem...  What ever it takes to make you mind work differently then normal.  I find the less creative I am, the more I dream and I am exhausted!  Give it a try.
There is no alternative to seeing your doctor. Ou have a list of symptoms that need treatment. Ask for a recommendation for a psychiatrist. They will able to get you the right meds.  You should get a therapist too. It seems like a lot of work and a big step to take but it's just what you need to do to get better. And you do want to get better don't you?
did you consider that maybe it's the copious amounts of drugs you're taking? your doctor and psychiatrist are not very responsible people.
There is only one sure fire solution to stop dreaming. Marijuana will definitely stop those dreams! It has always worked for me. Unfortunately, my work place has recently instituted random drug testing and I have had to quit my nightly smoke. My dreams are back - vivid and nightmarish. I am thinking about changing jobs because I'm not sure I can take these stupid dreams anymore. I feel marijuana is a much more natural solution to this problem than all these medications you are all taking. Look into it and good luck.  
I'm fifteen and having dreams continuously for the past 4 months. Mum tells me its just me thinking about dreams that makes me dream every night. BUT ITS NOT!!! Even when i don't think about anything I DREAM EVERY BLOODY NIGHT. Just because these people don't go through it they think its normal and that we are making a big fuss out of it. They dont know how its ruining our lives.Waking up so exhausted every morning and not being able to concentrate and they think its our fault? SERIOUSLY.
My dreams r driven me mad, an their mad dreams like im flying or in a war or about people bein realy sick, i must dream about 7 times anight an wake up very nerves, i jt want them to stop d.d
It's the Effexor medication!..... I am on it too and only for.a month I dream all night and have same problem as you, waking up feeling exhausted! I never had this problem before I started taking out! the only thing that I can think of that can stop this us stop very taking that particular medication and try a new one! It won't stop....unfortunately this is probably the only other option :(
have you been tested for Narcolepsy? I have it and am going crazy trying to get a restful nights sleep. In narcolepsy, REM is the main cycle of sleep a person will stay in (falling asleep into REM and usually waking up from REM).

Anti-depressants seems to just make dreams more active and prominent and adds to the EDS symptoms.

Sleep aids don't help for someone with narcolepsy because our sleep phases are already messed up. Adds to dreaming problems, EDS and more prone to sleep walking.

Relaxation exercises suck because I can fall asleep at the drop of a hat anyway...and I just go right into REM...I never get much delta stage sleep.

I've heard Xyrem helps for people with Narcolepsy/Cataplexy. Helps with EDS, stops the remembering of alot of dreams. I'm too scared to try it though.

If anyone knows a way for narcoleptics to skip the first stage of REM, I think they'd be a bazillionare. I'd make them one!  
hello oceans3,, you same as me.... try takes vitamin B complex. i hope can help with you to reduct your dreams.... pls. email me if effective....

carl_brienz06***@****
Can't believe that no-one has found a solution to this. Beginning to think that this is it for the rest of my life now!
i have the exact same issues as you, but i don't take any meds. i am 41 and can still remember so many dreams from my childhood, so i know this has been going on for a long time. everything you have said, not feeling rested, the dream residue...everything!! and i'm just so over it. did you ever find a solution? i am searching the internet now trying to find answers. let me know if you ever found something to make the dreams stop. i also asked my parents if they have dreams every night that they recall in the morning & they said not very often. my dr. seems to think i am so creative and that cause the dreams. perhaps, but seems like a long shot to me. it's helpful to know i am not alone, but heartbreaking to know someone suffers as i do. take care & i really hope we get some good sleep one day.
I have the same problem. And if one more person says, "Everyone dreams every night" I'll scream. This is different. I've always been a dreamer but, it used to be a few nights a week.Now Its almost like being in a movie. I'm activly particpating and its very real. It happens every night, ALL night. Sometimes its one dream and other times it as many as 4-5. I wake feeling like Ive never slept. I'm tired all day. It's been happening for about 10 months now. I dread goin to sleep. I take no medications on a daily basis. I'm at such a loss to whats goin on. I've tried exercising, goin to bed early. I stopped smoking. I feel really helpless.
Don't read it if it bothers you. These people are not talking about remembering an occassional pleasant or interesting dream, they are talking about being exhausted in the morning because their brains don't shut down or relax normally. Sleep is supposed to make you feel rested not exhausted Einstein. You be quiet.
well all of my life i have suffered from frequent and very vivid dreams as well as lots of night mares.  and since i was a teenager have suffered with severe insomnia.  in my early 20s i was diagnosed with manic depression and anxiety.  i have been in and out of therapist and psychiatrists offices for years.  three years ago i was put on cymbalta ambien ativan and risperdone and my dream state went to zero.  but resently i have been switched from cymbalta to welbutrin and noticed my dreams are starting to come back...but they aren't as bad as they used to be. but if they get worse i might go back on cymbalta....so for all those out there on effexor maybe try cymbalta instead.
Hey Aruba417, it's been a while since you posted something on here i just wanted to know how you are doing and if you are still having those dreams because i am going through the same thing, if you are better or had any luck with something please let me know thanks..
Hey Daydreamer78, it's been a while since you posted something on here i just wanted to know how you are doing and if you are still having those dreams because i am going through the same thing, if you are better or had any luck with something please let me know thanks..
You *****.. you just don't understand do you?  it's not the dreams that bother us it's how they make us feel when we are awake. if you don't have anything nice to say or a solution to the ******* problem then don't leave a comment ok...
Hey whats your email.. i really need your help i cant stop this dreaming i pray a lot to God  but continue to sin it's so hard please get back to me thanks.
I've been having vivid dreams every night for the past six years i m 30 yrs old woman my dreams feel so real that i can even eat drink and smoke like i was awake most of them feel like nightmares cause they interfere with my waking life, sometimes i even feel psychotic because of them.
To top it off in my waking life i allucinate and hear voices and sometimes i misshear what a person is saying as well as hearing noices that coincide with my thoughts as if they were answering. I've never been suicidal but felt a s force been trying to kill me in several occasions.
So it does get worse people for me it has, i obviously need help but i m reluctant in using medication besides hypnotherapy and maybe the occult.
I just felt like sharing my experience hope it makes you feel better cause it could of gotten much worse i could go on........
Still, no solution - almost 7 years later :(.
I had no idea so many people had the same problem as me.I'm 30 and this has been happening all my life.Growing up I used to wonder why I had dark circles under my eyes.It never even occured to me it was because of my dreams.I thought everyone dreamed like that until my sister said she hardly ever dreamed.I've been to a therapist for social anxiety, agoraphobia, and depression.When I told my therapist he said not to worry about and to cut back on the caffeine,Not too long ago I started looking into why we dream and found out about gamma and delta brainwaves. Gamma waves happen all the time in small doses but seem to happen the most when we dream.Delta waves are apparently a state of unconsciounsness where the body repairs and recharches itself.Sounds nice huh.^-^ After more digging I found out that apha and theta brainwaves help relax the body.I plan on finding brainwave music and downloading alpha and theta waves to listen to while going to sleep in the hope of bypassing rem sleep and going straight to delta.I'll let you know if this works.  Chaos
I am a big dreamer, everynight I sleep comes along a dream... Depending lots on what's happening in my life, my dreams mean so much to me regardless of any kind... Good, bad, insecure, lonelines, exciting and scary in a lot of cases, however my dreams have always eventually made sense to me!
Ive had this same problem and it seems to be getting better rather than worse, i can have a good 8 to 10 hours sleep and sleep right through but be so drained! I have a young daughter and have suffered from anxiety and PND every since i've had her but my dreams are getting more and more vivid wether I take my anti depressants or not so cant see a link there, its exhausting ive mentioned it to my doctor but like many they dont see it as a problem but it is! it effects everything when your tired especially having a job or child to look after you dont have the energy to be able to do anything else! hope someones got a good idea for us all!
Okay,I tried the brainwave music and all I got was a headache.Went back to surfing the web for an answer,any answer,and found this website dedicated to mens health.The original poster and many others have the same problem.In the answer posts there were the usual "Dreams are normal" and "You need Dream",but there was something I never heard before.This one had the same problems and a bit ago his mother took him in for a sleep study.Afterwards the doctor told him he had narcolepsy.So I looked it up and it said,"Narcolepsy is a chronic sleep disorder.Narcoleptics, when falling asleep, generally experience the REM stage of sleep within 5 minutes; whereas most people do not experience REM sleep until an hour or so later.The main characteristic of narcolepsy is Excessive Daytime Sleepiness (EDS), even after adequate night time sleep. A person with narcolepsy is likely to become drowsy or fall asleep or just be very tired throughout the day, often at inappropriate times and places."It also says," Hypnagogic hallucinations are vivid, often frightening, dreamlike experiences that occur while dozing, falling asleep and/or while awakening.In most cases, symptoms first appear when people are between the ages of 7 and 25. In rare cases, however, narcolepsy may appear at younger age or in older adults. If left undiagnosed and untreated, early onset narcolepsy can interfere with psychological, social, and cognitive function and development and can undermine academic and social activities."From the sounds of it narcolepsy means a person spends an unusual amount of time in rem sleep.Causing an extreme amount of tiredness despite the amount of sleep a person gets.Now to find a way to push myself out of rem sleep.Hope this help everyone.

Try ashgawanda herb.I've read that it can you move into nonrem sleep.I plan on trying it myself as soon as I can find it.You should also ask your doctor if it will interfere with your meds.Plus our problem is known it just isn't very well studied because people thought that those like us were just lazy or need mental help.If you can afford you should have a sleep study done by a sleep therapist.They know more about sleep problems than other doctors.Though I think the other doctors should have at least a passing knowledge of this stuff so people don't get misdiagnosed for stuff like depression which a person may only have because they're so exausted.Good luck and I hope this helps.
I used to have those same dreams. I would scream and I would feel the pain in my body that I would feel in my dream. I think it in my case anyway may have come from many yrs of repressed memories. I'm 38 now and I'm have chronic pain due to some injuries but I went on to have yrs of peaceful sleep. The bad dreams are back but they are not as bad as they used to be. Don't give up hope. Mabey you just need to let some things go. God bless and I pray sweeter dreams to you.
I hear you...You are just like me.  I too have anxiety/ panic disorder and haven't had  a  good nights sleep in like years.  But I am sure I used to dream a lot before I was diagnosed.  I too take xanax , but doesn't help with dreaming.  I dream about train crashes , plane crashes, sunami's, bridges collapsing, travelling over the world, stupid ex boyfriend - exactly like you....I am so over it.  I'd sooner not sleep at all.
I too just want one night without dreaming.  I've been dreaming since I can ever remember.  I am now 34.  I am so over it.  I wake up so exhausted and drained.  And they aren't pleasant dreams either.  no fairies or butterflies or rainbows here!
This is really depressing to read all these comments. I feel like I will dream forever and never get a good nights sleep again. I have been diagnosed with schizophrenia and depression and I take Risperdal and Trazodone. I have a very hard time sleeping it seems my brain won't shut off. When I sleep I toss and turn from side to side. I also can not sleep during the day at all. When I wake up in the morning I wake up bright and early and can not go back to sleep until bedtime. There has got to be some research out there that can explain this. If anyone knows how to help please share.  
I am SO happy to have found this, because almost everyone I've told about this I have to CONVINCE it's not a bad thing. Everyone thinks it's so cool and interesting but it's NOT.

I remember being a little kid and having a night where my mom tucked me in, then came back after what felt like a few seconds to wake me up. I was so confused... I had never experienced sleeping without dreaming at all. To me, sleeping feels like a movie length of time or longer. The only other times I have slept without dreaming were one of the first times I smoked weed, and the very first time I took the tranquilizer I'm prescribed for hormone related anxiety (that I only take when I have PMS symptoms).

I have had really awful anxiety related to my hormones and PMS since I hit puberty. I have Polycystic Ovary Disease. I take birth control to regulate my hormones (they were way too high before) and that helped shorten the length of the anxiety, but I still take Lorazapem for about 4 days a month. The dreaming has been ever since I can remember though.

I don't have "scary" dreams in the horror movie sense (I don't really get scared by horror movies, thankfully!) but I have REALLY REALLY awful negative dreams about realistic things happening.

I also have lucid dreams very often. In most of these dreams I want to wake up, but I can't. Sometimes, despite it being lucid, I'm still not rational. For example, I had a dream that my little brother (who I am extremely close to) died and I felt EXTREME anxiety, depression, etc for what felt like a very long time. I realized I was dreaming... but then for some reason I thought that if I didn't wake myself up, everything in the dream would come true. I spent a long time running around, crying, clawing at the walls until my boyfriend woke me up for unrelated reasons (I never seem distressed in the real world).

I have also experienced sleep paralysis...

When I was a little kid, my dreams were so crazy that my mother thought I was making up stories.

I'm going to a sleep clinic over the holiday break but I'm not convinced it's going to do anything to help. I hope that someday someone finds a solution...
I too am a lifelong dreamer. I don't take meds but have been diagnosed with PTSD. I was bit by a dog on the face when i was a year and a half old but have no memory of it. I have a huge fear of the dark, loud noises, and cannot sleep in silence. I have been told i have sleep apnea. Hell, i quit breathing when i'm awake too!!!! Maybe twice a year I get a good nights sleep. What to do?????

Wow it is crazy how many people are disturbed by this dreaming thing! After I lost my brother who suffered bad for 3 years at a young age of 50, I began to have very aggressive dreams. Hateful, mean and anything unlike myself. The doctor told me to be glad that I was able to let this all out even if it was in dreams. He said its better than having the anger bottle up inside of me. I have always been a dreamer, all kinds of wierd, crazy, make no sense dreams, mixed with family, friends, husband, strangers. The hateful anger dreams that I changed to after my brothers passsing lasted only for a little while. I was mad and upset about the way he had to die but as I prayed about my anger they seemed to change back. I am sorry for the nightmares people suffer but I think those of us who dream ALOT everynight ought to be glad we are NOT having nightmares. I believe myself that the state of mind you are in and your anxiety level has alot to do with dreaming. I am gonna try that musle relaxation site someone wrote about. Thanks to everyone who shared. God bless....grandbuddyf
You have never really experienced this kinda problem. actually it's not just a dream. it's a series of dreams all night long for months. not a single night gets spent with full perfect deep sleep.
Dog
I also have panic/anxiety disorder, for past 20 years. I don't know about meds that stop you from dreaming but there are a lot of meds for anxiety that will cause dreams. I am on trazadone at night and it causes to to have very significant dreams. But they are always good dreams so I love having them. Maybe check the symptoms on the meds you take and see if they are causing your dreams?  Vicki
This has been going on for years with me. Like everyone said it isn't the dreams. Its the exhausting feeling the next day. It has ruin effects on my life. I don't work ut that much cause I go thru the day with the zombie feeling.  The interesting thing is if I take a nap during the day that is the only time I really don't dream. Like everyone else I wish there was some cure for it. I have been killed in my dreams so many times. Even with nightmares I dont wake u afraid I just wake up open my eyes like it is just another day.
All you dreaming people need to follow a ritual every night to help you relax and switch off your brain;-  
Get a portable cd player for your bedroom.
Don't drink any alcohol after 7pm
write a journal every night about your day and your feelings,
run yourself a nice warm bubbly bath with lavender bubblebath.
Light some candles and dim the lights,
Lay in the bath and soak and try to switch your brain off and think of nothing, meditate and concentrate on your breathing, it helps you to stop your mind wandering. If you start thinking stuff just re focus on blanking your brain.
Make yourself a hot chocolate in the winter or a cold milky drink in the summer.
While you are drinking your drink, write a list of things that you have to do the next day and leave the list with your keys and bag or wallet etc for the next morning.
Put on a sleepy relaxing music cd at a low volume and put a night light on in your bedroom.
Get into bed and be warm and comfortable, if possible with a small window open.
Good night guarenteed!
Good Luck!

I know exactly what you are talking about!!  I have been doing the same kinds of dreams but they go from one dream to the next nonstop until I wake up in the morning.  I was beginning to think I was the only one who had this problem and started looking online for solutions when I came across your comment.  If you find out how to get them to stop I would love to know.  I have cut out all caffeine including Tea and Coffee as well as chocolate out of my life now for 5 months.  All I drink is water and sometimes a caffeine free Sprite.

I wonder if it is a vitamin we are lacking.....
Oceans3 you said you like to analyze dreams? do you have an email adress so i could talk to you personally about some dreams me and my fiance have been having
Your sleep problem is probably due to high levels of glutamate in your body. Take a GABA supplement (like Gaba Mood Assist from MD Nutritionals) and that will stop your brain's overactivity, which is the cause of your incessant dreaming. I also recommend Ziziphus as a sleep aid. Take both supplements an hour before bed. It will take some time, but eventually your sleep patterns will begin to return to normal. I am speaking from personal experience.

Ps. Praise Jesus?? Smoke pot?? Pharmaceuticals?? There are some real jokers on this site. Remember that this sleep problem is caused by excessive Glutamate levels. So it will help to cut out sugar, caffeine, and anything that causes stress. That will lower glutamate levels to a degree, but after that, you will need Gaba Mood Assist which is actually Gamma amino-butyric acid. I got all of this information from my naturopath, by the way, and am now on the path to better sleep and better health.