Why did I skip my period? What's going on with my body?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

11 days late. We Had unprotected sex the three days before leading up to my ovulation date. Never had a missed period in my life or late as I'm clock work every 28 days besides when on birth control. I'm healthy and turning 30. 9 days after ovulation I had cramping which made me think my period was early to go to bathroom and find pinkish spotting when I wiped kind of looked like a blood clot. Two days following that I had brownish black spotting only when wiping and very scattered. Definitely not anything like a period or flow. That ended after two days and I had unusual cramping in my lower back and slight pains on my side and by ovaries , not severe just uncomfortable. I run to the bathroom several times a day with a tampon swearing my period has came but nothing is there when I wipe not even discharge , it's more like just really moist feeling.  Im also only been able to eat one meal a day as im feeling full right away. I took several hpts all negative besides one question mark which I'm pretty sure means a faulty test.  I'm not sure what's going on but I'm so scared and I've been consuming my life with this . My doctor says it could be stress and to come in if I missed a second period. I have been stressed out about the possibility of  losing my job because of a reorganization within the company however this has been going on for several months and the one time me and my husband decided to have unprotected sex this happens is such a weird coincidence.   I'm very terrified as I have always been very healthy and regular and this is making me feel like my body is trying to tell me something is wrong however I'm not pregnant according to 5 hpts.  Any similar stories or insight would really help put my mind at ease until seeing my doctor. Thank you!!
Hi there and welcome.  Well, first----  since the idea of being pregnant obviously causes you stress/anxiety----  I would not have unprotected sex anymore.  

I'd try one more home pregnancy test and then just wait.  You've already consulted with your doctor.  Those tests are pretty accurate and you should be far enough along at this point to get a positive test.  Please don't read on the internet that a pregnant women got negative tests all through her pregnancy as that is really quite rare if it ever happens at all.  Those tests pick up the hormone for pregnancy that has to be there to sustain the pregnancy.  

anyway, periods can indeed be late for a variety of reasons including stress.  Try not to worry and test one more time.  If it doesn't show and your next period is late as wel----  do as your doctor says and go in for an exam.  good luck dear
If I am pregnant I wouldn't mind.  Me and my husband weren't trying but it would be a blessing and we would make it work.  I am more concerned that something is wrong because of the negative hpts reading 10 days past AF was due.  I believe what you said that they are mostly accurate.  Since I'm probably not pregnant I am just trying to figure out what the spotting and other weird symptoms can be from or what my body is trying to tell me.  It's not like I am irregular or have had this before.  I never ever spotted before besides when on birth control which I have been off since we got married last April.  The spotting resembled what everyone talks about being implantation so something inside of me thinks I had a possible missed miscarriage or  ectopic pregnancy but again I am just going by what I read on the internet and was hoping for more real life experiences to hear.  My doctor appointment isn't for 2.5 weeks.  
Have you recently been under any stress?
yes stress due to work for the past several months. do you think that could be the factor and its just a coincidence it was the only time we had unprotected sex on the right days.  why would stress cause me to spot a blood clot? I'm very confused!  I have been stressed before and it has never caused my cycle to be off or weird symptoms.  if you have please let me know so I can relax until my doctor appt.  Do u think its possible I had an early missed miscarriage?  The spotting was very minimal and not a flow only when i wiped besides the pink blood clot that came first.  
I think the combination of stress from work and worrying about if your pregnant is making your period wacky. But in my experience I had spotting(pink and red blood for 2 days)and cramping around the time my period was due. 5days into when my period was supposed to start I took a test and it came back positive.
Business_woman2
Hello just read comment. i have to say it sounds like you are pregnant but the pregnancy hormone is not strong enough so sadly you MIGHT be headed for a miscarriage. dr can take blood to test for hormone... of course i could be totally wrong because each person is so different, only time will tell. I hope thats not the case because it is sad. this has happened before to me. I have been preggo five times. 2 miscarries, 2 kids, one termination.  When you are preggo it feels like period has come and it just doesnt. you have cramping sore breasts and the normal pms symptoms but including lots of moisture down there. you also have swelling of vaginal walls but it comes as pregnancy progresses. my experience, my p was late and i kept taking tests but they kept coming out negative. my previous pregnancies i had gotten naseous right away and was wondering why i wasnt feelin like that. finally about 7 weeks or so late (thats counting from first day of last period which is known as gestational age not fetal age which is a 2 wk diff) a test finally came out + but it was so faint i almost mistook it for negative. a few days later i started spotting pink blood and later it came to full on bleeding and then i went to dr. they tested blood for hormone. i went home and passed a clot the size of a grape mayb after cramping all night in center of pelvic bone. called dr in morning and went back and had blood taken. they said preg hormone went from 48 down to 2 so i had lost it. brown or black blood is old blood and pink or red is new blood. it could be a hematoma outside of baby sack body is expelling or whatever. its hard to say. i have had instances where i have gushed blood from vag while in 1st trimester w/no cramping and ended up being ok. it was hematomas. it happened w/both my live children. i hope this helps. like i said it may not b the case with you. women vary sooo much. your body still could up hormone and preg could take or it could just be a molar pregnancy. Just remember things happen for a reason. if ur not, or are but lose it, just remember its just not ur time yet. when time is right you will be blessed with what you wish for. it just means someone up there is looking out for you and has another plan in store. good luck to you!
Thanks deedee for sharing your story.

I'm just really scared something is wrong with me and all my friends tell me I am making myself crazy by thinking to much into it but I know my body they don't and something is off whether it be good or bad.  That's why I started posting bc instead of googling random things I thought it would make more sense to  understand other peoples cases before I rule anything out.  I can handle whatever god has gave me however the fact of not knowing is tearing me apart and driving me insane.  

Also do you think I could have already miscarried and not knew because it was such early stages?  Would have I bled like a period or could the little pink spotting which looked like a blood clot been the full miscarriage?  If that's the case can I move forward with my life or do I need to have surgery if there is still something left inside of me?