Why is my mouth cracking open in the corners?/open forum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Well, that sums it up.  My mouth is cracking open in both corners, I didn't even realize it until I tried to eat an apple a few minutes ago.  Now it hurts.  Why is it doing that?  What can I do for it?  

Feel free to use this as an open forum too.
This might be a condition known as angular cheilitis, or angular cheilosis.  Here are a couple of links.  In the first one, ignore much of what the original poster says and read what Dr. Rockoff (from the Derm forum here) says you can do about it.

http://www.medhelp.org/forums/dermatology/messages/32071a.html

http://www.webmd.com/hw/health_guide_atoz/sta123239.asp

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angular_chelitis
That kinda sounds like it.  But I don't know what I did to cause it. Anyways, thanks for the info.  

Where did everyone else go?
If they're east coast, they are getting ready for bed or something.
Dehydration can do this too.  Keep super-hydrated.
ZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZZ
i used to get a crack in the corner every time i went to the orthodontist!! i dont now. put some carmex on it. i know that must hurt both sides!!
WAKE UP!!!! what are you up to tonight? im on my way out to see Carlos Mencia. should be a fun night, except my stupid head hurts and im lazy as can be.
it's only 9:30 where you are oceans!  wake up girl!  how was your thanksgiving?

have fun tonight siren!
Anyone left?  Sorry I left,  FDH made shrimp scampi and I couldn't pass it up.
I just did.  That's awful and I just found the original post.  I was trying to figure out who that was.  That's horrific!!!
one word for you!

carmex!!
Hey pb&j!  Sorry to hear about your cracks.  I've gotten those before.  I remember they hurt like a b****** while eating anything spicy.  I can't remember why I had them, but they obviously went away, because I am crackless now.  Does lotion help?
I think we are the only 2 left tonight.
Have you read the post above about Coki?
sorry i was answering "i cheated on my wife" grrr..
anyhoo, you know us N. EASTERNERS's like to go to bed early so that what i am doing! miss you guys!
nighty night. notice i opened some forums for you to keep the night "YOUNG"!!!
have fun siren! i will be living vicariously through you! hey..hows that for a 5 * word?????
that used to happen to me all the time. try putting Aquafina lip oil on it.
thats wierd, it just happened to me last week when i bought a tube of that tooth paste (A&h) that has peroxide in it.
i used it for a week an noticed the corners of my mouth cracking
and all dried out.  i went back to the non peroxide paste and things are back to normal.            l.e.
*leif enters that on his list of not to do's!
Don't use carmex!  Don't use Chapstick!
You don't want to use any "waxy" like substance---think about it...(I feel a little like Leif on this one).

My doc told me once that your lips get chapped because of dehydration.  So, you purchase one of those products that forms a seal of *protection* over your lips.  Well, actually what it does is form a barrier over your lips and dries them out more!  You should use a product like regular vaseline lip therapy, or blistex ointment.  Those do not contain any waxy stuff, and your lips will be able to *breathe*.

(Or, if I'm Leif, its a conspiracy theory by the makers of Carmex and Chapstick.  They make it waxy so you have to continue using their product, and you basically get addicted.  Of course, only if you aren't having enough apple-cider vinegar!)
Quit using cafiene, and see if this helps,  I know it is hard to do, but good news is, it only takes two days to see if it works, my bet is that it will.

I am able to drink decaf, but if I drink a lot of it the trouble will persist as decaf still has cafiene in it.