Yeast Infection, Monistat 1 Day Too Strong, Still Having Problems... Ne...

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Yeast Infection, Monistat 1 Day Too Strong, Still Having Problems... Need Advice

I have never had yeast infections until now. A few months ago I thought I was having a reaction to the new pads I was using. My vagina was swollen and red, slightly itchy; no discharge the second day after my period started.  After days of suffering, I went to the Dr. who said it probably was the pads.  He said he didn't see any yeast but took a culture just to be sure. They called and said I had a VERY bad yeast infection.  This time I started feeling similar to the last time. By day 3 I was swollen and red again with mild itching and a white/clear stretchy discharge. I have been with a new partner since Nov. 2005 and these problems have started since then. I seem to be irritated down there almost always after we have sex. Do you think maybe it's his body chemistry that isn't mixing well with my "inside"? I had a refill for a Diflucan 150mg so I called it in and took it [on day 3 after symptoms started and already had gotten bad]. Me being impatient decided to go to the drug store the next day and get an over the counter yeast product as well [1st time using]. I bought the Monistat 1 ovule.  The next morning I was extremely red and raw looking, swollen and miserable. The stuff looked like glue up there. It stayed extremely red and swollen for a good two days. By day 3 is seemed slightly better, but I still feel so irritated down there. There looks like a white film on the inside of my labia. The skin still looks raw; almost like that Monistat ate the top layer of skin. Day 5 today. Slight itch. No swelling but still looks raw with white film. We are both neg for STD'S.
Continued...

Just like the last time I started feeling something not right within hours of having sex. He shaves and has felt stubbly on occasion so I thought maybe that was tearing me inside and causing trauma and a good breeding ground for a severe yeast infection. I just don't know!  I am scared and can't stand this feeling or how it looks. I can't get into see my Dr. and I didn't know where else to turn. Have any of you experienced the same or similar situation. Have any of you had a bad reaction to Monistat?  It's hard for me to tell if it would have cleared with the Diflucan because of what happened [I think] as a result of taking the Monistat. I wish I had NEVER taken the Monistat. Now I am worried that something else is wrong.  Do you think the problems I experienced were due to the Monistat? My Dr. also called me in a 200mg Diflucan which I took the day after inserting the Monistat.  It had a refill on it so I called that in and just took that.  That is 550mg of Diflucan within 7 days and I still don
Hey myangel503!!  Well, I have had a similar experience with the Monistat 1-day.  I used the 1-day b/c I thought it would be easier and quicker, but much to my surprise I have had problems ever since.  I took the monistat, and the itching went away, but I still had this strange burning/hot sensation down there.  I waited a few days thinking it was the Monistat and it was just doing it's job.  I made an app. with my GYN and she said that the Monistat is soooo strong, that it basically threw everything off balance.  I still had yeast and then had BV, which had reoccured for 4 months.  I still have a strange sensation every now and then, and am still trying not to think about it b/c the situation had made me totally paranoid.  My doc said that she would not recomend the 1-day to anyone and that they should take it off the shelves b/c she has had many patients with this same situation.  I know it's not totally the same as you, but this might help knowing that you are NOT the only woman out there dealing with this b/c of that damn Monistat 1-day.
Hope everything works out
Worried0817
Thank you for your comment.  How long ago did this happen to you?  You say that you are still suffering so I am just curious.  It sounds like you are saying this could possibly be  a lifelong problem?  What you described is sort of what I am feeling now, a burning/hot sensation vs an actual itching sensation.
Hey!  Well I didn't mean to scare you and make you think that you are messed up for life.  I took the Monistat back in either April or May, and I waited the 7 days I think it was that they said you should have results by...the itching was gone, but this strange burning/hot feeling was there.  Like I said the doc told me it threw everything out of wack and I still had yeast and then BV which I couldn't get rid of for a few months.  3 doctors appointments later, (and too much $)She did a swab of my discharge and said there was no longer any BV or yeast.  She suggested taking Acidophilus supplements, which I have been taking regularly since then.  I don't know how much research you have done on this, but if you are like me I was glued to the computer whenever I had a spare second, and luckily found this site, which really helped me as well.  There is natural bacteria in the vagina and acidophilus helps the good bacteria fight the bad basically.  There is so much more to it, but if you just google it you will find tons of info.  I was also told not to wear tight clothing, only cotton panties, don't wear any undies whenever you can (especially to bed). I don't know what the casue of this is, I do still feel this sensation occationally, sometimes I don't even think about it and it won't bother me for a couple of days, but sometimes it does.  I was also tested for STD's just in case, which I knew was not the problem.  I really really wish I had something else to tell you, something that would heal you and me.  I am planing on making another app. within the next few weeks just to make sure.  Are you experiencing a discharge?  I still have a thin milk like discharge sometimes.  I am glad that I'm not the only one with this sensation that is hard to explain..I was beining to think I was going crazy or something.  Please if you find anything out let me know and I will do the same, I promise!!  I know how this has effected me and my sex life, so the faster we can help eachother the better.  Please post if you have other questions or something that I didn't answer.
Good Luck!  Worried0817
this happened to me as well. when was the last treatment you did? i would stay away from the 1 day and maybe even the 3 day cream. go buy the 7 day. the 1 day is too strong (it burned me even worse on my vaginal lips). just go back to the "drawing board" and start all over again.
it will clear up but dont use a lot of soap (only mild)or if you can, just wash with water. dont douch, dont use any other creams or lotions except the 7 day. wait until it totally heals and then resume with sex. its awful i know!!!!
worried0817 - I, like you have spent every free moment glued to this computer. There is so much information out there though and it gets pretty scary at times. A lot of stuff links Yeast Infections with Herpes and that is one thing I wasn't tested for because there were no sores or anything. Plus the swab came back that it was a VERY bad yeast infection. It has had me an emotional mess though. I have never experienced anything like this and I started to worry that it was something else and NOT the Monistat. The yeast infection was bad enough, but I think I aggravated it by using the Monistat [at least that is what I hope it was]. Your post and the one from Oceans3 have brought me much comfort. I am glad I found this site. I have been upset for days and today is the first day that I feel a little better. I do have a discharge, but it isn't the cottage cheese type you always hear about with yeast infections.  It is more like what you described. Sometimes like what we get mid cycle [the egg white type], but white and a little thicker. I too was beginning to think I was going crazy until I found this site and read your reply. I promise to post to you if I find anything else out and appreciate that you are going to do the same. This has definitely ruined my sex life. It has made me afraid to have sex again. I definitely seem irritated down there after being with this new partner. Do you think what I said in my post about what I thought the original cause of me even getting a yeast infection in the first place is correct? A friend of mine said she always had yeast infection when she was married and she always complained that he husband was sweaty and had an "odor" about him. She has been divorced for some time and has not had one yeast infection since [she has been sexually active since the divorce]. Thanks so much for your help and kind words.  Hopefully we will be able to help each other. Take care

Oceans3 - I only did the Monistat 1 day treatment with "egg shaped" ovule, one time only on 8/2 [after midnight so I guess it could be considered 8/3]. I also took Diflucan 3 times [150mg on 8/1, 200mg 8/3 and another 200mg today 8/7]. I know what you mean about it burning your lips. That is what it seems to have done to me. It looks like the top layer was just eaten away [sorry]. The white film that is left behind now is getting better but the more I look at it the more disturbing it is. I swear I never thought I would be investigating that area! I use Aveeno baby soap on my whole body so I don't use any harsh soaps and I don't douche. I read on the internet that Hydrogen Peroxide mixed with water [homemade douche] was a good natural way to cure yeast infections. Have you ever heard anything on that one? With my first yeast infection a few months back the doctor gave me a prescription for the 7 day cream Terazole. That didn't bother me at all. Even the cream that came with the Monistat 1 day combo pack for the outside seemed to irritate me when I put it on. I only put that on the first night and then threw it away because of the misery I was in that next morning. The stuff inside seemed like it was stuck up there like glue. Sex is the last thing on my mind right now :)  Thank you for your post I truly appreciate it!
sometimes we dont get the traditional "cottage cheese" discharge with a YI. sometimes its the itching and/or burning that is most evident. either way, you have one. you have been diagnosed with one and have the symptoms.
yes, i know exactly what you mean about that burning. its almost like a rug burn on the inner lips. like you said, skin tearing away a layer.
if i were you i would place an ice pack down there for a while. next time you go out, go to the drugstore and buy the 7 day cream insert that you use at night before bed. no pills, no 1 day, no 3 day. sometimes you can get the kind that has a small tube of the external lotion to help. believe it or not, that made me worse down there and it took one application (of the external) for the burning to start, so you may want to avoid that. i get the drugstore brand that is comparable to monistat. a week of the cream is a lot i know but its better than going through all of this as i found out myself. when it was all said and done, i had this for about a month ( decided to let nature take its course and not do a thing) couldnt wait anymore and got the 7 day cream. i felt so much better by the 3rd day but you must continue even if you feel better.
sometimes we can get a YI right before or after our periods. everything is off balance. sex can aggrevate it even if you didnt know a YI was on its way. lack of lubrication /too much friction. you may also have some type of allergic reaction if you guys are using a certain lubricant.
good job with the aveeno soap you are using.
many feel this works and does not work but it cannot hurt trying....eat a couple containers of yogurt to help balance things down there.
i also know tea tree oil is an antifungal. it will help with that itching but you must dilute it or it can burn the skin (thats all you need). i may soak a cotton ball in water and sprinkle the oil on it and rub it around. or put some in a spray bottle and squirt yourself. i am hesitant to suggest that just because you seem like me...sensitive to a lot of products so maybe skip that idea.
post again with whats going on okay??? i feel your pain! go get the icepack. RUN!
I didn't read the long answers so i'm not sure if they said this.  But also another factor you mentioned is that you seem to get it after you guys have sex, well my dr has told me that a guy can get a yeast infection and it not show any symptoms, therefore, he could be giving it back to you each time you guys have sex, i would definitly mention this to your dr, and see if he/she can prescribe a pill for your partner as well, so that the two of you will not pass it back and fourth! Good Luck!!
Slow down folks.  A little background before I get too stern. I have been dealing with a chronic YI for almost 2 years. I have done tons of research, most of which I have forgotten, but I do have some really important information that I can pass on.

Be carefull with Diflucan. It's really hard on your liver and if you are taking repeated doses, it would be good to get your liver enzymes checked.

Stop using over the counter yeast infections. The over use/misuse of these meds has caused a sharp increase in drug resistant yeast strains.  If you treat yourself, do only use the 7 day treatment. The 1 day and 3 day treatments help promote resistant strains. If you have treated yourself and the yeast infection returns, more than likely you are not using the correct medication and have the bad luck of having a resistant strain.

Don't try home remedies.  They will change/mask symptoms which will not allow the doc a clear picture of what is going on. Not to mention they will probably do more harm than good.

Oral probiotics don't have any real benefit for the vaginal tract. The bacteria that live in the vagina have the correct DNA which allows attachment to the vaginal wall. The stuff, especially the 'dried' bacteria, does not have this ability.

Also, think about the route of travel for that bacteria. There just isn't any physical way that the bacteria can go through your digestive tract and somehow set up shop in your vaginal tissues. It's not worth the money. If you have digestive upsets, then they might help, but research hasn't found any strong correlation between the two.

Ok, so what to do.  First off, I'm really suprised that your doctors have not told the labs that did the yeast culture to 'type' the strain and find out what it is suscpetible to. If you don't know what strain you have, you can't treat it effectively.

If your doctor is lost and doesn't know where to turn, search out a clinic that deals just with woman's vaginal/vulval issues. You need to talk with someone who knows the latest in treatments and research.

I was lucky. I found just such a clinic where I work. My doctor and the gyn I was referred to, did not know of this clinic. Make tons of phone calls. Be persistant.

I have been on a 6 month treatment of boric acid suppositories. Yeah, wearing a 'diaper' every night sucks. But, I can have sex again, (though not as much as i would like), I can ride my bike and hike without being in a lot of pain and discomfort.  

Shortly I will be weaning myself off of the boric acid to see if my vaginal immune system has returned to normal. My fingers are crossed.

We get these strains that normal treatments don't cure. The stuff we use to treat the infection only aggrevates the local immune system even more, sending things way out of balance. The idea is to remove the burden of infection and other irritants so that we basically can heal ourselves.

You need to not  wear 'it' out by having too much sex / rough sex. When you do have sex make sure you use a non-irritating  lube, like crisco (it works). Don't rush back into intercourse. There are many other ways to please yourself and your partner.

One last tip and then I'll get off of my soap box.  I found that a water bottle filled with either really cold water or frozen water really helped relive the pain and discomfort.

There is hope out there.
Hey Ladies!!  ok well after reading the rest of the posts, I am begining to wonder if this burning, uncomfortable, hot sensation that I have been experiencing for months now, is actually a type of yeast?  Is this possible? The last time I was at the doc's she said that there was no BV, never said anything about yeast.  I believe that all she did was a wet prep, she didn't send it to the lab to culture or whatever.  Is it possible that there could be something there that she didn't see in the microscope?  This has been going on for so long now that I don't even know what to ask.  I know that they tested for STD's and all was negative.  Well, just wondering if anyone had any ideas?  After reading the new posts and re-reading the original by myangel503, if just got me thinking.  I don't know what else to do.  I have just been living with this hoping that it would go away...which sometimes it doesn't bother me, but mostly it does.  thanks a lot!!
Worried,

In a nut shell, YES! That is how I was finally diagnosed.  Everything started out with normal yeast infection symptoms, then things changed.  I was slightly itchy, but mostly sore, red and irritated. All other tests were neg.  The wet prep was always neg., very low PH of 4, but the culture finally came back positive and with a strain type.  Of course, I had the luck to have one with no known drug susceptabilities. The one thing that worked, I reacted strongly to 3 days into the treatment.

The culture takes about 7 days to grow out.
Wow!!  thanks...I guess I need to make an appointment sooner than later.  So, I should ask the doc to do a culture on on the discharge?  I'm sorry, I just want to make sure I get it right this time.  So even if she does the wet prep and it looks neg for everything do a culture anyway...I guess I just have to be persistant.  Thanks sooo sooo much for your help.  Like I said it doesn't really itch, just a burning sensation, a milky thin discharge, no odor, and basically just discomfort.

Thank you again.  I will post with results.
Worried0817
Worried,

Yes, your doc needs to have a sample of the discharge cultured for yeast, and that strain needs to be identified (named) and hopefully it will have a drug susceptability.

You sound exactly like I did 12 months ago.  Try doing some google searches for chronic yeast infections. They used to call them recurrent vulvar vaginal yeast infections or something similar to that.  I made sure that the docs I saw knew I was in a living hell and that it was starting to affect the people close to me. No sex + no bike riding = one ugly free spirit.

Good luck!
Thanks so much free spirit.  I have called the doc and the soonest appointment I could get was August 30th...ahhh!  Well I guess this will give me time to do some research.  Thanks again for all your help, you really have no idea how much this helps to know that I'm not the only one dealing or who has dealt with something like this before.  

Thanks again!
Worried0817
Yeah, I know what you mean worried.  I went for almost a year feeling that way.
Good luck!
After all these posts I decided that I should probably go see my doctor, so I went yesterday.  They have a new female Dr. who is going to take over his practice, so they put me with her.  She looked at a slide under the microscope and also took a culture to send to the lab.  She said it looks like yeast by the pelvic exam and microscope check, but said she was still going to send the culture just to make sure that it is ONLY yeast and not a combination of yeast and BV.  I do not have health insurance, so she wanted to make sure before prescribing something. I feel better having it cultured at a lab anyways.  She said she would have the results this morning and would call, but the office closed at 1pm and she never called : (  I guess I will have to wait until tomorrow.  She said to stay away from the OTC treatments, especially the 1 day stuff.  She said a great number of her patients have had severe reactions like mine.  I wish I would have researched it before trying it!  I still do not feel good today [not as bad, but not great either], even after all that Diflucan.  I'm a little scared at how much of that I took too, especially because I still have symptoms.  Plus, the negative effects it can have on your liver.  Now I want to get my liver enzymes checked, but am afraid to ask.  She said she would just give me more Diflucan if it is only yeast.  I don
Hi,i have a similar problem and im going mental!!I had a bad throat infection about a year ago and ended up being treated with penecillin tabs and injections aswell,ever since then ive had to deal with thrush infection after infection, ive seen my dr and he simply said treat it with canesten and u'l be fine it's just something that yur going to have to deal with for the rest of your life, i refuse to believe what ive been told as im only 21 and cant bear to think of this ongoing for the rest of my life!
I get a very red and unbearably itchy vagina with a thick white discharge or sumtimes a clear stringy one, ive been checked for Std's and have none but im just at a loss and could really use some advice im slowly going insane!!
Feel free to send me an e-mail aswell if you'd like parso_85***@****
thankyou in advance!
It's time for you to change doctors! He's living in the dark ages.

From reading through a lot of posts on this board, I get the feeling most women are afraid to speak up. It's time. Do research. Write questions down and get them answered.  Don't be afraid to seek a second opinion and be forceful about it. There are other doctors out there that do know what is going on, or at least where to send you. It is your body and if things aren't right, you are the one who needs to do something about it.

One thing I found when I was trying to get this p.i.a. **** under control, was to keep a journal. This way I could keep track of the symptoms, what I was doing before they showed up or got worse, what med's I tried, how they made me feel, any reactions  etc. It helps draw out a clear timeline and with this in hand you can go to any doctor and say 'Hey, this is what has been going on for X number of months. We need to find out what we can do to fix this or I'm going to go nuts.'

myangel503 - I'm soo happy that you were able to get an appointment so soon and hopefully you are on your way to getting this mess straightened out.  I really can not believe how many other women have been affected my the damn Monistat 1-day ****.  I guess it must work out fine for some, but it's just not worth it.  I too wish I could turn back the hands of time and not taken it.  Well, we all know that's not going to happen. Please let me know how your culture results go.  You can email me @ ***@**** if that is easier.  I would really like to keep in touch and see what is working for you and vice a versa.  I am so surprised to see that there is actually someone else out there and their doc said the same thing about the Monistat...this is really making me feel better...like I'm not crazy.  I feel like this has been going on for so many months now, that I was begining to think I was making things up, and now, I really can't even tell you what normal is.  Thankfully I have a very understanding fiance, but I know this has been tough on him aswell.  When we do have sex, I feel like half the time I can't enjoy it b/c I'm sooo freaking worried about whether it's going to hurt...I'm sure you know what I mean.  Well thanks again for updating us.  

Free spirit - thanks so much for your resposes...you are right we do need to stand up for ourselves and do research and know what is going on.  I am going to get everything ready for my appointment at the end of the month.  I will have questions and that I want a culture done.  

thanks again everyone, this site has really helped me though these past few months, I will keep you updated. :)
Worried 0817
My doctor said that I have a bacterial infection, NOT yeast.  I have never had a bacterial infection before so I would have never known.  I have only had the one yeast infection my whole life.  I am so glad I went to the doctor, because I would still be sitting here suffering and thinking it was yeast if I hadn
Tonight will be my last night of treatment with the Metrogel Vaginal.  I still feel the same :(.  Did the Metrogel irritate any of you?  Did it work for any of you?  Will this ever go away?  I'm not sure if anyone is still reading this post, but I thought I would ask anyway.  Thanks!
Frustrating, isn't it?  I never used the metrogel, but I took an oral form once for BV and ended up with a nice case of hives. Went on steroids and then, boom, got a yeast infection.

I would call your doc back if the symptoms get worse or continue for much longer.  It may just be that the vaginal tissues need time to heal now that the infection is gone. Fingers crossed.
Thanks for still being here Free Spirit!  This is extremely frustrating!  It seems like now I have a yeast infection as well [white clumpy stuff coming out], sorry for TMI.  It almost looks like wet toilet paper though, it is dry and pasty looking, I don
I don't know if you can use both at the same time. I react badly to both of those drugs so I won't go near them.

As for redness without a lot of/ or lack of itching, pasty white discharge, not your typical lumpy cottage cheese stuff, red irritated area in the lower region. . . you sound just like me.

Why don't you email me at:  free_spirit_05158***@****
Hi!

I have read many of these posting over the years and have experienced all of the same problems.  I have one question for all of you that might help - are you on the birth control pill?

After doing a lot of research, I found that the pill changes your natural chemistry down there and can make you more susceptable to yeast infections.  Also, the "natural" discharge at different times of the months (particularly a week before you period) will change and become irritating for some.  This is often mistaken for a yeast infection by the women, and when cultured, comes back normal.  I tried switching pills, but I sufferered for years.  I even tried depoprovera and got some relief, but that had other side effects.  

I got fed up and decided to try a non-hormonal method of birth control.  It worked!  I rarely got abnormal discharge or irritation anymore and only got a yeast infection if I had to go on antibiotics.  After 2 years, I went back to the pill for other reasons and the symptoms returned.  I immediately stopped taking it and it went away.

On a side note, I recently got a real yeast infection and treated it with the one day Monistat because the diflucan (one dose 150mg) did not work.  I have experienced the burning sensation as well - but this is often the case with the 3 and 7 day treatments.

Bottom line - get checked out.  If it is yeast, find out if it's a resitant strain.  If it comes back negative, try going off all hormonal BC methods (includes injections, patches, pill, and some IUDs).  

I hope this helps...
Thanks for your reply zephonim.  Unfortunately for me I can't blame it BCP, I have never taken them.  I am feeling somewhat better now, but not 100%.  My doctor did a  second culture, but again never called with the results.  When i went in she said "are you the one they didn't send the panel on?"  I am so frustrated.  I think they failed to send it and had me buy a $96 tube of Metrogel without an accurate result.  They were supposed to call me Friday with the second result, but again never called.  When I called them they were gone for the day and will not return until tomorrow.  Definetely time to find a new doctor!!!  I'm glad that you were able to find the cause of your problems :)

Take care,
myangel503
zephonim

The bcp may be true for some folks, but not all.  Out of over 1000 patients that my current clinic doctor has seen, only 2 had any success with stopping bcp.  Thsse 2 occurances may be purely coincidental.

I have been on bcp for years and never had a problem. I believe my current bf just happened to be carrying a new resistant strain that my body doesn't know how to deal with, not the docs. I'm not ready to give up the bcps.
I just recently took the Monistat 1 on two days ago. Thank goodness I came across this website because honestly I have been starting to worry if my down there was going to shrivel up and die. All of the symptons mentioned by you all is what I am experiencing and it is the most scariest and uncomfortable feeling in the world. Right now I am seeing a thin, milky, continuos discharge (had the real icky stuff earlier) and it is scaring me. I am wondering, do you think the capsule is taking long to dissolve in there? and maybe that's where this discharge is coming from, the capsule still in there?
Please help. I have the same symptoms as traumatized. I took the monistat 1-day (I wish I'd looked here before doing so) and now I have a nearly continuous flow of while thick discharge. It wont go away and it's been all day yesterday and today. This itching seems slightly better, but not really much better. I made an appointment to see the doctor, but I know she'll just prescribe Diflucan, which I don't think is much better. Can anyone give advice?
This post has provided tons useful information; especially regarding 1 day vs. 7 day treatment.

My issues extend back a few years now and it all centers around sex.  My initial symptoms were itching and a fishy odor.  When I went to the doctors, they said I had a yeast infection and prescribed diflucan.  This mis diagnosis went on for months until I was prescribed with gynazol.  That’s the absolute only thing that worked. I also realized that I had BV and not a yeast infection.  Although the gynazol helped, I would still get these infections regularly and it would only happen after sex.  To make matters worse, about a year ago, I noticed that along with the yeast/BV infections, I would also get a UTI.  The UTI isn’t as frequent as the other infections but they tend to happen after sex.  Well my husband was away over this past summer so I wasn’t having sex and when he came back of course we became intimate; for the first week or so, I didn’t’ experience any systems but then last week after sex, I experienced the UTI systems and had a slight itch and odor but the odor only lasted a day. I just moved to the state I’m in so I don’t yet have a doctor.  I friend of mine who would experience UTI’s said that the otc meds work so I decided to try that along with drinking TONS of water and the systems did in fact go away; but the itch was still there.  But this time, it was just a slight itch without the odor.  In fact, I had sex while having this itch and the systems just stayed the same without getting worse.  But last night, after my husband and I become intimate, I started to experience a severe itch but no discharge or odor and I also feel the UTI systems coming back.  b/c the systems were so severe and its 6am in the morning, I sent my husband to the drug store to get me the 7 day treatment.  It instantly helped the itchiness.

I guess I was just wondering if there is anyone else out there who has the same issue. It’s been so hard for me b/c this problem is affecting my sex life and although my husband is understanding, it’s still very traumatic. Especially b/c with BV, the fishy odor intensifies during sex! I even cry occasionally.  If there is anyone who has advice as to how to prevent UTI/BV/YI after sex, please let me know!    
I know exactly how you feel. In past relationships the burning and itchy feeling always happened after having sex. I was always diagnosed with yeast infections. I was also told that I may just be allergic to sperm which I totally believed because of the past experiences. I have been with my current boyfriend now for over a year and have only experienced three yeast infections (one of which is happening now. I thought maybe it was due him shaving his lower regions but I also have looked at when these have occured and its when I have been extremely stressed at work and the seasons are changing so I'm taking allergy medicine. In the past I have tried the 1 day Monistat and about died from the burning it caused me so I now only go with the 3 day when I can't get a hold my doctor for Diflucan. The last time I had a yeast infection it last almost 2 months. I had went from red and itchy to a dark purple and it burned so bad. I had the doctor test me for every STD that they could and everything came back negative except for the yeast infection. So I was given Diflucan. The first week I was given 1 of course that didn't work. Then the second week I was given 2 . It started to subside a little but it wasn't enough so as you can imagine by the time it ended I was up to 5 doses, 1 every 3 days and that finally did it. So my doctor isn't even going to play around this time. She has sent in a scrip for 1 every third day.  
I totally sypmathize with anyone who has to go through this.  
Has anyone gotten a rash on their stomach from using monistat 1 day treatment?
I Just used the Monistat 1 day or night thinking it would help get rid of it faster because i had gotten a real BAD infection from taking antitboitics....It has been 5 days and there has been no change but i think it has only gotten worser...reading the comments from oceans3 had made me wanna go 2morrow and get a 7 day medicine to see if that will help because i dont have a regualry doctor i cant just make an appt i would have to wait in the E R all day or night for them to tell me what i already no. If i dont feel a change then i guess thats were ill be in 7 days....I was really worried but im glad im not the only one...they need to take that off the shelfs have yall herd of it helping anyone??? and has anyone else tryed to go get the 7day one after this use? Did it work?

i just got my first yeast infection (haha, i make it sound like an achievement).  yuck!
anyway it's not all cottage-cheesey like lots of people say it is.  it's also not smelly at all.  just a little bit itchy and a little dry.  i saw a gynecologist cnm today and she said i have a yeast infection and that my options were the diflucan, some other stuff i can't remember, and then Monistat, i guess i'm choosing monistat because it's going to be the cheapest.  i've had the "itchy" symptoms for about 2 weeks so i'm glad i got into the doctor to find out what it is.  i'm buying some monistat tonight and i'm glad i read this because i'm NOT getting the Monistat 1 because it sounds terrible!!  i'll try out the Monistat 7 if i can find it, and i'll let you know how it works out.
Has anyone tried the 3-day monistat and it didn't work? I am on that one now because I didn't want to wait 7 seven days for it to go away but now I wish I got that one. I just got down using monistat for the second night and the discharge has subsided but my lips are still swollen and red and still itch. I was doing some research online and now I'm scared that I might have vaginitis. Plus sometimes it hurts to pee.
Re: Monistat 1 combination pack

I chose one day because I thought it would get clear up faster and I would be able to have sex again sooner when I went to visit my boyfriend. This is NOT the case. Avoid one day at all costs.

Reasons NOT to use one day:

1) It stays up there and then two days later, nasty, thicker goop comes out and it's scary. Not like the smooth cream from a three or seven day. The ovule must "melt" somehow and the goop is thicker plastic shell melted in and it's horrifying.

2) It BURNS BURNS BURNS. Like hot sauce being poured on your vagina (usually when it comes out). This makes urinating painful as well.

3) The goop continues to come out on day 3 and 4 anyway since it is designed to "stay up" there so you might as well get the three day!

4) It's more expensive.

5) It doesn't help fight against certain strains.

True dat on the monistat! Tried the Monistat 1 because I am a lazy American and I demand immediate results, and I didn't want to worry about my poor little coochie anymore....same results!

Burning / Itching which steadily increased as the ovule dissolved in me.

After about 40 minutes of trying to squirm in my seat and take it, it became suddenly more intense right at the opening (felt like someone was trying to insert a tampon soaked in Hydrochloric Acid in me) and I couldn't take it anymore. I leapt from my computer chair and hauled a** to the bathroom to use a "cooling wipe" that came with the pack to get some relief. (hmmm, wonder why they started including these?)

I wiped to find half an ovule skin and contents being rejected from my vagina. She had had enough and she was kickin' the Monistat's butt out of the house with kegel power. Unfortunately the door to the house was now painfully on fire! There was no other human option but to strip and jump in the shower to try and wash whatever I could out of there as fast as humanly possible. Water brought relief momentarily, but the burn would return. I dried thoroughly, towel and air, and put on light cotton PJs and a clean panti-liner. 30 minutes later (now) I feel MUCH better.

Ladies: if you have this same strong reaction to Monistat 1, don't leave that chemical **** on you to burn away your poor vulva. (Sounds to me like some of these ladies had actually gotten chemical burns down there) I personally wished I had tried more holistic routes before resorting to the napalm approach.

Here are some NATURAL remedies that have worked for me in the past (if you can catch it early):

YOGURT! Acidophilus and other friendly bacteria help keep vagina and tummy balanced and regulated. I have thwarted many questionable smells, discharges and itches down there by just eating a cup or three of yogurt.

NO SUGAR! No one has mentioned thusfar on this list that Candida (which causes yeast infections) thrives on sugar, not to mention that refined sugars lower your immune response. I have become sentitive to the fact that I even crave more sugar and bread when I have a candida imbalance...but then again, maybe it's the "infection depression" kicking in...So, obviously, unsweetened yogurt, or probiotic supplements would be a better choice.

Herbal remedies: (oral tinctures, NOT for topical use! mix one dropperfull into 8oz of water and drink)

USNEA: comes from a tree moss and is a natural anti-fungal. You'll notice that the Monistat chemical is called an "anti-fungal" too, but clearly has unnatural effects on our vaginas. If in doubt, this herb can be a good preemptive strike, without doing any harm in case of a misdiagnosis.

****-QUAI: chinese root that has amazing qualities of hormone regulation. This one definitely smells a little funky, but it has worked wonders for me in regulating my periods and mucous rhythms. If I was expecting my period yesterday and she still hasn't come, I can drink a little ****-quai tea or tincture in water before bed and nine times out of ten I'll wake up bleeding the next day. Since yeast can be related to our mucous compostition, this root might be able to balance things out if there is an intuition of being out of balance.

Lastly, ladies, INTUITION is not just a women's razor brand, it is an ART that has long been forgotten in modern ladyland. It is the ability to sense danger to our bodies, minds, spirits and those of our loved ones. If your vagina feels a little out of whack today, eat some yogurt, take some herbs, at least take note and think about it...don't just forget it (it's your special spot!). My intuition and my vagina collided a year ago when I began having an allergic reaction to my partner's semen (pre-***). I would burn and swell up shut  and we never really got to have sex because of it...but as it turned out, he was totally wrong for me, and I am so glad that I didn't now. My vagina was looking out for me, so I definitely try and return the favor by, for instance, avoiding corrosive chemicals that are obviously not reacting well with her.

Maybe some people's coochies can handle the Monistat 1 ovule, but apparently not us. Lesson learned!

Note to self: be nicer to my vagina in the future.  ; )    

HA! They censored the name of a chinese herb in my last post, so for anyone who would like to know what that word was maybe this will work: it is called "d-o-n-g---quai"....

and if that hyphenation still didn't elude the censors, here's a hint: rhymes with SONG, but starts with a "D".

great stuff, but definitely an emmenagogue, and possible abortifacient, so do not take it if you are pregnant!
i am in a similar situation with the monistat 1 to treat a  yeast infection which had upsetting results (i wasn't as irritated by the insert but definitely by the external cream. i was also upset that monistat doesn't describe what will happen... i tried to call their hotline, but it was christmas eve..
anyways now i have the symptoms of bv. and it's so annoying!! this is about 5 days into it.
i think i'm going on the clinic tomorrow to get this checked out.. hopefully they'll diagnose me with bv which is what i think i have and give me treatment for that.. but would any of you consider a class action lawsuit? this is absolutely horrible. they must know what their product does to women and they keep it on the market! they're asking for it!
I only read the first few threads of this...but I too used the Monistat 1-day.  I thought it would be quicker and make the symptoms go away faster. I burned like crazy the next morning and was itching so bad through church I thought I was going to faint!  Seriously...it has been five days since I used the "treatment" and I am still experiencing the symptoms.  The itching isn't as bad but there is a terrible burning fire sensation.  How long before this goes away?  There really should be more warnings about this out there.  I was wondering why anyone would buy the seven day when they could take the one!  I guess now I know!
Monistat 1 day is AWFULL. I took it and it made me super red and burn even bleed. I been sick with uti I think then thought I had some yeast still. Now dealing with this. MAN........  Yea, it did something to me. I am pissed off how is this on the market. I am going call them this is insane. What did a man make this product........ I thought medicine was advanced yet women go through hell getting different medicine to treat uti and yeast infections. Maybe the docters don't do the right test to treat what you have. I guess maybe if your in pain they just give you some medicine right there hoping it will work before knowing for sure what will help you. Doesn't make sense to me plus no ones helps you. You have to find out and get the help for yourself.
HI everyone,
I did the monistat 1 combo pack back in july after taking a strong dose of antibiotics due to being sick. it is now february and things still aren't better. i've never had a YI in my life and now i can't get rid of this thing. i don't have a lot of white discharge anymore, just burning when urinating and an uncomfortable feeling. my Dr. put me on fluconazole, it would get better and then come back. now i'm on a 2 month course of fluconazole taking one tablet a week, but things r still burning and i'm not sure if its working. i was freaking out thinking i had herpes or an STD, but all the tests were negative. Does anyone have any suggestion?

thankss!
hi everyone,

I got a throat infection last year and went on penicilline and since then I can get rid of  the monthly BV/Y infection.
my very first yeast infection started after my marriage 10 years ago, and ever since got it 3 or 4 times a year each year but now its more than a year that I get it every month.
I'm losing my mind, going crazyyyy, used to take OTC creams everytime, and recently my dr gave me 2 kinda pral anibiotic for 10 days and Flagyl at the same time, I was hoping that it wont come back, but cam back yesterday again, sooo disappointed, I'm so worried, had a culture last year, nothing found....please help I'm losing everything, so depressed about this, cabt stop thinking of it
I used monistat 1 and a week and a half later began an 11 day (and counting) stint of diarrhea.  Probiotics seem to help, but if I eat sugar, the symptom worsens.  No other symptoms, just frequency and oatmeal like consistency.  I beleive Monistat threw off my microflora in the intestines.  Because the vagina is highly vascularized, some monistat actually is delivered systemically.  Has anyone else encountered this and made this connection?
Today is Tuesday and Sunday night I used the Monistat 1 and was in the emergency room on Monday morning wanting to kill myself I was in so much pain. My vulva was swollen to the size of a small fruit, diahrea, very intense burning/throbbing  pain. Did I mention I am 6 months pregnant? I used the OTC because I thought I could not take Diflucan, which has worked just fine for me in the past. I want to sue the makers of Monistat after what I have been through, I can't walk or sit, have to lay or stand. I enjoy a healthy sex life with my husband and god knows when we will be able to be intimate again. If you are reading this and having the same problems, get the ovule out as soon as you can, I had to use a small teaspoon-not kidding-to get it out. Also wash off the external cream. This stuff has to be taken off the market. They gave me a benadryl IV at the hospital, ibuprofen worked for the pain, not Tylenol, and plain aloe vera helped cool the burn on my vulva. God I hope no one has to go through this ever!! If you know of a suit, please let me know. I have never wanted to sue anyone for anything in my life, the makers have to know what is going on with their product!!
I haven't had a yeast infection in 30 years, since my college days, until the dr. put me on Premarin vaginal cream. After 2 weeks of daily use, the itching, cottage cheese discharge showed up in full force. I used one dose of the Monistat 3 and then decided I needed quicker relief.  MISTAKE!!!. I used the Monistat 1 cream and knew  immediately that I was in trouble. I was up all night trying to get this out of me. I was so extremely irritated that anything I tried to numb it with like Vagisil just made it worse.  I finally got a frozen bottle of water, wrapped it in a thin towel and just placed it on me.  It was instant relief from the burning and itching.  After a while I could finally sleep. I'm wondering if I should go to the dr. My vaginal area looks weird, like the inside of the vagina is protruding out.  Is that just because it's inflamed and swollen?  I have no more yeast discharge, but I'm sure the Monistat will continue to leak out. Anyone heard of Premarin causing yeast infections? It is listed as a side effect.  My hat is off to those of you who are chronic yeast sufferers.
I made the mistake of taking 2 treatments of monistat-1 within a 2 day spand. I had all those reactions listed above, the gross stuff oozing out, but now I am bleeding, like I am on my period. I had my period last week. Is there any possibility that is messed up my cycle or just made me bleed?
I took the monistat 1 on Monday for immediate relief from my yeast infection. It wasn't even that bad, just a little itching. Well, the itching went away, but I have the exact hot/swollen/red feeling down there. It just doesn't feel right. Something reacted wrong. I went to the doctor and they wouldn't even look at me cause they said there is no use since taking a sample would only turn up white from the monistat.. and that this is a common reaction to monistat 1.. and to never use it.. stupid me.  They said to come back in a week if nothing changes.   Sadly, nothing is changing. It stays "uncomfortable" and I am becoming paranoid that I knocked something else out of wack and I have a diferent real problem and maybe it's not he monistat at all.  I used monistat 3 before with no problems, but this time I wanted to be quick. I am no encouraged that one poster above was saying she still gets this sensation four months later. I am so depressed now :( I hope it goes away. I don't know what to do. It is just red and swollen and really hot. So weird.
so ok.. i started getting a yeast infection on sunday, of course the day after i had sex with my bf, and it itched and burned so badly that i went out and bought monistat 1. yup bad idea. it still itches terriblyyy but at least not like b4, except i have  a different syptom (symptom)... after i used the external cream, not only did it burn, i noticed bright red blood in my panties. so after i freaked out and accused my bf of cheating me (to find out he didnt which of course offended him) i decided to not use the external cream, and i didnt seem to bleed like i did b4. i dunno if its a coincidence... i am on the pill and i have had trouble with spotting b4... i kno its a possibility... but i dont know could the monistat have that severe of a reaction?
I  took monistat 1 six days ago. I wished I would have done my research
first. SEX...IS NOWHERE  AROUND!!! Spring break just around the corner the kids and husband planned a resort vacation and I planned to sleep and dreamed what I could have done. I EXPERIENCE ALL THE
HORRIFIC PERKS THAT THIS B/S HAS TO OFFER.  PLEASE CALL
THIS COMPANY AND COMPLAIN AS MUCH AS YOU CAN TO GET
THIS MAN MADE PRODUCT OFF THE SHELF. I will make a call tommorrow and hope that you will too.
Please do not use monistat! I had a very slight yeast infection (no symptoms) and my dr. told me to get the 7 day treatment.  Day 1 was so unbearable I laid in my bed crying all day waiting for the burning to stop.  Day 2 was even worse and I knew something was truly wrong.  I went to my dr. and she told me I had warts and sent me on my way. I've been in a loving 4 year relationship and tested negative for everything so finding out I had warts was devastating. My dr. told me that's shes never heard of an allergic reaction to monistat and that I need to get tested for STDs. I went to my gyn and the "warts" were gone.  Turns out, they were HIVES.  Hives from a horrific allergic reaction. (Got tested for everything again...all came back neg).  It is now 2 months later and I experience chronic internal vaginal burning and swelling.  I literally feel as though my tissue has been chemically burned and nothing I do relieves the pain.  I am interested to see if anyone else has had this happen.  Part of me hopes not, another part of me hopes that maybe someone is out there feeling the way I do. Angry and violated. I have called the company and they told me to basically contact a lawyer.  I'm 21...and I'm a full time student.  If I could afford a lawyer, I would do it in a heartbeat.  I am going back to the dr. for more tests to figure out if anything can be done about the chronic burning. I've tried cream after cream and had no success. Please please research before taking anything.  No where on the monistat box did I see a warning that says it would cause such damage.  I hope everyone that has a bad experience calls this company.  Something needs to be done. I wish you all the best.
I've had a very similar interaction with Monistat 1. In January, I felt very irritated and sore down in my vaginal area, so I contacted the nurse at my college and expressed to her my symptoms, she suggested that I try an OTC treatment for what she presumed to be a yeast infection, I've never had one before, so I had no idea. Obviously wanting these symptoms to go away, I tried Monistat 1 day or night... well, after the burning, itching, and crying I had to get myself together, loaded up on Ibuprofen and went on the date I had scheduled later that night, thinking that hopefully this pain will make everything all better. Wrong, seven days later and the soreness and irritation still persisted. So, I went to the local doctor and she told me that I actually just have BV. So I got treated and everything was great.
Until I've started developing one yeast infection after another, I am currently on my third infection since January, the doctors have been prescribing me Fluconazole single dose pills and they have cleared my previous two infections but now, on my third infection, I felt better within 24 hrs of taking the pill, so 3 days after taking the pill, I felt comfortable enough to have sex with my BF again... and two days later I awoke with the SAME symptoms I had before taking the Fluconazole, I had left my doctor a message.... and took some Ibuprofen. Later that night I was growing impatient and so I decided to give the Monistat 1 another try. HORRIBLE mistake... the burning, soreness, etc, had elevated ....36 hrs later and I am in pain.
Back in February I used the Monistat 1 and had severe reactions to it.  The very first night I used it I woke up with severe stomach pains along with burning.  My doctor didn't test me, but told me I could try it first and see if it takes care of it.  I don't know if I even had an yeast infection.  I was in emergency 3 times within 10 days.  Several test, including a CT scan.  They found nothing except for my blood platlets were 30,000 and should be between 140,000-450,000.  At 10,000 you start to bleed internally.  I had severe burning, stomach pains, hand, feet, eyes were burning.  It felt like someone was taking a cigar and burning me in different places on my body.  I think the doctors in emergency thought I was crazy.  After 2 months, I still wake up, out of a dead sleep, with stomach pains and sweating.  I have been seeing another doctor, because I still feel something isn't right.  My blood platlets have come up to 119,000 so far.  I did call the company and they did seem sympathetic, but sent me paper work to fill out.  I'm sure they are trying to cover themselves.  FAT chance.  I, like you don't have the money to go to court.  I wish I would have read these comments before using it...I would not have used it.  I'm very angry and believe I had a severe alergic (allergic) reaction, although monistat says it was a side effect.........WHATEVER!!!  What's the difference.  I think they have to take this stuff off the market!!  
I'm having this same problem. I was having a discharge(no itching or burning present at this time) and decided to try the Monistat 1-day product on Tuesday. By Thursday, I was having an increase in discharge and decided to call the GYN to get a diflucan. Took the diflucan and within minutes, developed a rash (allegeric reation-?) on my inner thigh and begin with the intense itching(thigh and inner lips of vulva). Could not sleep through the night by awakening from the itching. I scratched so hard that I wanted/began to cry. Friday morning, took a mirror to take a look at what happening down there and oh my god, the vulva was swollen like 2 beef plump when you cook them hotdogs. I kid you not. Gross but the truth. I made appointment with the GYN on Friday. He act as if he was afraid to examine. Only performed a visual inspection and said - "yept, you are swollen"and told me it could have come from change brands of soap. He gave me a cream that suppose to help with the swelling and redness and sent me on my way. I insisted that if  things weren't better in a few days I would come back. Cream did not help with the horrible itch so I went to Walmart on Saturday and purchase vagasil. It help a little but not the relief  I was in great need of also by this time I was getting a burning sensation when I urinate. -Oouch. So Sunday night/ Monday morning - I walked all night and could not sleep. Just plain old miserable. I called my gyn again on Monday morning  and told him nothing has change and only gotten worse. He made me appointment to come in that afternoon. This time he did a vaginal inspection taking a culture and all. Told me that I tested negative for STD and that my yeast infection is gone and sent me on my way again. Bull **** is what I was thinking. So I went back to walmart and purchased benedryl, aveeno oatmeal bath and more vagasil. Let me remind you this day 7 now and nothing was helping me. I was very irriatable and didn't want anything against my body. So, on Tuesday, day 8 I went to a walkin clinic and he did more than my gyn(of 8 years) done. He took a urine specimen and a culture. I told him I am very miserable and need a shot or something. He told me resultd from the test revael I still had a yeast infection and a uniary tract infection (UTI). He precribed me a creme to insert every night for 7 days and oitment that immediately relieve me from itching. Also, prescribed me a antibotics for the UTI. Today is day 11 and swelling, itching and burning has improved. I should be through with the insertion of creme by Monday May 5. I hope and pray that this will clear up and never come back at least not this serve. this is horrible and miserable and will not wish this on my worst enemy.
Hi.  So I used Monistat 1 back in Feb for a yeast infection and immediatly my vulva turned red and swelled.  Long story short my yeast infection was finally gone about a month ago. However, my vulva is still red. It doesn't really itch most of the time. It's just red and a little dry.   My gyno gave me a hydrocortisone cream to put on it 2x a day and I have been doing that for the past month or so.  However, it's still red.. not that red, but not normal.  I think it's still from the monoistat.. but this is about 2/3 months after the initial use.. so now I am startying to worry.  I have another apt. with him next week, but in the meantime my brain keeps getting carried away with the thoughts of what else it could be...But, it started with the monistat so I don't know. The gyno said it was contact dermititis from something, but I can't figure out what. I even changed my detergent to dye free.  Is it possible to have it still going on 3 months later from the monistat.. one month after the yeast infection went away?
Same thing happened to me I hope something gets done about this, it sould not be out there damging people. It started of with a mild irritation so i when to the drug store and bought vagisil 1 day, the next day nothing changed, when buying vagisil I got a free coupon for the monistat like a  $20 value so I decised to get it sence it was free. Big mistake!! I thought I was going to die the next day. Went to the doc and he said its bacterial infection so gave me anibiotics for that, well its day 4 and the serve burning is still there to the point where i dont know if I sould go to the hospital..I'm just wondering how much damage this has coused. My doctor wanted to take other tests but i jumped of the table, he said to come back in a month when it the swelling and pain goes away. I really dont know what to do, sould I go to a different doctor or wait but, from what i read this can continue for months. I hope this product will get discontinued.
i recently took the monistat 1 day treatment, i took it earlier and its been leaking out this whole time, i figured that i had a yeat infection because i had all the symptoms plus im young and its awkward to talk to my dad about(mom died) but im right there with you on the itchy burning feeling and this is only after a few hours. its gotten worse! if anyone still reads this please help

vivalabella
I was taking antibiotics for an infection, and one of the side effects was a yeast infection. I was told by my doctor that i could take monistat. I was in so much pain and discomfort that I bought the one day pack so that I could experience instant relief... How wrong I was. It only added to my discomfort. I was so raw and red. The itching and burning seemed to increase and the topical cream added to the pain. I read the insert and it said that relief could be expected in about 7 days. Well that was 8 days ago. The yeast is gone, I have no more cottage cheese like discharge, just a thin milky white discharge. I'm still very itchy and uncomfortable although not as bad as before and now I seem to have developed a rash. I know its not an STD because I was already tested for those prior to my yeast infection and I have not had sex since. I wonder if I'm having some kind of reaction to the monistat... or is the yeast still there. I dont know but I'm becoming increasingly uncomfortable. I wish that I had went with either the 3 day or 7 day pack, but I had used the one step pack to previously treat a yeast infection and it didn't end up like this. I'm thinking that maybe I waited too long to treat it (I had the infection for a week before I did anything) I'm thinking of making another appointment for the doctors because I'm 9 months pregnant and I need to get rid of whatever this is before I deliver so I don't pass it on to my daughter.
i used monistat 3 two months ago for a yeast infection.  it helped the itching, etc. but vulva was still red and irritated.  i don't know if it was red before the monistat because i didn't look before, but it didn't feel right afterwards, so i looked.  since then it just burned,especially after urinating.  went to doctor and he gave me diflucan and a steroid cream.  diflucan helped but it got worse again so after two weeks i got diflucan again and another dose to take 3 days later.  that seemed to help infection, but i'm still red down there.  i'm wondering if it's damage from a bad yeast infection, or from the monistat.  i have been trying to eat soybeans and taking some "menopause formula" (i am 46 years old) in case it has to do with an estrogen imbalance, since i do sometimes feel kind of irritated like this when on my period.   the only thing that seems to help it not be irritated is A & D ointment.  it seems to feel just a tiny bit better each day since using that, but it still looks just as red and just not right.  

after reading all of these comments i am wondering if it is from the monistat, and how long it might take to get better, or if it is a resistant yeast infection that still needs to be treated.  my doctor said it was not yeast in the first place, but prescribed the diflucan anyway, which did help, so i think it was.  i don't like him and am looking for a new doctor, but it will be a while before i can get an appointment, so am trying to figure it out in the meantime.  has anyone gotten better from this, or discovered anything else that helps?

after reading all of this about the monistat, i am wondering if it is a burn from that.
I wish I had found this site yesterday!! Today is Tuesday...last Wednesday my boyfriend and I had sex and the next morning I was sore. It lasted throughout the day and even though I noticed it as being more sore than usual, I brushed it off. We had sex again the next night and I woke up at 3:30 a.m. with uncontrollable vaginal itch. I have had several yeast infections before so I knew instantly what it was. I put on some of the vulvar itch cream that I had left over from some of the past infections and attempted to go back to sleep...which of course didnt happen and I was up all night trying not to scratch because that makes it so much worse. Do not ever scratch it...no matter how much you want to....it will only make the itching and burning worse. So I tried to take some pills a friend had given me that were supposed to cure yeast infections and used the vulvar cream for the next two days. That was a mistake. I had a Nature's Cure 3 day suppository and I tried to put one in on Saturday...it fell out into the toilet. I layed down to put the other one in and went to sleep. Sunday, no relief so I tried the last suppository before I went to bed....it wouldn't stay in. At this point I just started crying because I couldn't take the itching and burning any more. On Monday (yesterday) I went and got a Monistat 1 hoping it would get rid of the infection for good. I woke up at 1 in the morning with intense burning inside and outside my vagina. I started crying again...I was so frustrated. I got up to put on some of the cream that came with the Monistat 1 and while I was up, some of the Monistat began to leak out. I hurried back to bed and of course, the cream only made it worse. This morning my vagina burned but not as bad...until I took a shower and attempted to wash some of the cream off which only irritated it more. It is 2:00 p.m. and the burning has just now subsided.

I have used the 3-day creams before and they have usually taken care of it....the 7-day just seemed too long and too much of a pain in the ***. This has been one of the worst cases I have ever had...which I definitely think resulted from not treating it properly the first day. I will never use the Monistat 1 again and I am appalled that on the side affects it only says "burning/itching/soreness may get worse after inserting applicator." I'd say my increased itching/burning/soreness came from how strong the actual Monistat 1 was. I think I have a slight chemical burn which I hope will clear up in the next few days (so does my boyfriend!) and I think the only reason I haven't experienced a worse reaction is because some it the ovule fell out only a few hours after I had inserted it.

So a few suggestions:

-If using suppositories, do it at night. That way, they stay inside of you better and maybe will get the job done quicker.

-NEVER use Monistat 1. I will never use that again. Yeast infections are bad enough...I dont need the problems the Monistat causes on top of that.

-if you have never had a yeast infection before, see a doctor before using any over the counter meds....if you don't have a YI and you use the Monistat, etc., it can cause more problems

Finding this discussion has been a huge help to me and I hope other women find it before making the mistake of using Monistat 1.
om my god!!!! never use monistant 1!! I had mild itching and burning for about a week and I just knew i should let things run its course...... well I let my friends convince me to take something.  BIG MISTAKE!  As soon as I inserted the monistat 1 ovule I started vomiting- i felt so dizzy and terrible for the next 30 min.  then I went to bed in a lot of pain and discomfort.  the next morning I felt terrible burning and itching...all I could do was cry.  I so regret taking the stupid monistat 1 thing-my symptoms were mild before now there are totally worse-one tip if you think you may be getting a yeast infection.....DONT GET MONISTAT 1!
I don't really get YIs in fact this is probably my second one. I am, though, extremely prone to UTIs which to me are like one of the greatest circles of hell. I've been trying real hard to prevent them, and I find what works for the UTIs also sometimes works for YIs.

CRANBERRY JUICE. I don't know what it is, but if you get UTIs a lot drinking a lot of this will clear you right up.

YOGURT. This can also be applied topically ladies. NOT FLAVORED. Get the unflavored (plain) yogurt, and eat it as well as apply it. Yes it's gross, but putting it on is something so soothing I couldn't believe it.

PEE AFTER SEX. I can't stress this enough. I know that YIs are imbalance caused, but all in all you want to stay clean and dry. Go pee, it cleans the area.

WATER. Drink regularly. The better hydrated you are the healthier you are.

Now for as for Monistat 1, yeah it burns, but it made me capable of getting through work. I just went on to BC again, and i'm on ortho evra which is the patch. It has only been a week but i'm now suffering from a YI. No discharge at all, but it burns and it hurts like HELL to urinate.
I took the monistat 1 "day or night" because it became so unbearable at work that I could no longer do my job. Now I can't decide what's worse, the pain during urination, or the damn cream. Anywho, the only thing I can be happy about is I know i'm STD free. (obgyn appt last week)
i too suffer from YI often... DO NOT USE Monistat1. Only the Lord can help you once you insert it! I have no idea why it is still on the market and from the looks of all of these comments, we all certainly need to call b4 more vaginas are irritated!
Hi All!!!

For all those who are suffering from candida yeast infection, please resort to Cantestan Vaginal Tablets. Just insert the tab in your vulva for 12 days w/o any lapse and also take Fole 150 and Dio-1 for relief. It really works and the problem subsides within the time span!

Bella
Well, being the idiot that I am i took that monistat one and then came on here.  I just put it in like an hour ago, does anyone know a way of getting it out.  I don't know what to do!!!  HELP PLEASE!!!
Casee

Just take a shower and try to remove it, wash it off. Then dry yourself and wear cotton inner as well as outer wear and relax...I am sure you'll feel much better!

Bella
just used monistat 1 about 9 hours ago for my first YI...haven't experienced any of the horrorlike symptoms ive read about for the past half hour. i wish i had seen this yesterday but so far i've had nothing but good results.

if you've just taken it, give it a chance.
Why, why, why did I not research this before I went and spent $23 at CVS.  I will be returning the box and getting my money back and I won't stop there.

I have had YI on and off for years.  In my 20's they were very difficult to treat and gave me a lot of stress (side note: My Dr. told me to stop wearing underwear and that might help.  Worked like a charm.  The monthly infections went away completely for many many years).  I just got one last week after years with no issues.  I know why I got it and was not shocked.  Anyway, it was starting to resolve itself but I was planning for the weekend with my boyfriend and wanted to make sure it was 100% gone.  I saw a commercial for Monistat-1 and figured this would be the best solution; I needed to take it before the evening and figured why take a 7-day treatment when I can take a 1-day.  Right?

Well I put this EVIL ovuule inside and within 30 minutes I start to feel and itch and slight burn.  The topical cream hurt instantly so I wiped it off.  I'm sensitive anyway so I didn't think too much of that.  Within an hour I was on fire and it kept getting worse and worse.  I hopped in the tub for a sistz bath and that helped a little.  The box says "Mild burning might occur."  I thought it was just "working" because why would a company that sells women's health products tout a product that causes your vagina to feel like it is melting.  No company would do that.  I'm a sucker.  A big sucker.

After the first bout I had to get to work.  I work for myself and had meetings I couldn't reschedule.  By the time I was done with those meeting I wanted to jump off a tall building or drive my car into a tree.  The pain, the itch, the burning...I was losing my mind.  Can you imagine how I felt in the middle of a meeting and feeling this pollutant oozing from my body and burning my labia.  Totally soiled my pants and almost got it on my client's dining room chair (I would have died if that happened).  Driving home I was shoving my hands down my pants.  Once home all I could think to do was hop in a tub.  This helped but not enough.  I ended up inserting my fingers and digging the stuff out.  Now I know this is graphic but we are all women and girls here.  I want to communicate so that I might help someone with my story as all of these other posting have helped me.  Taking the Monistst out as best I could seemed to help.  I wanted that stuff out of my body so badly.  

Once I realized this can't be right I went online and found this forum.  I was so happy not to be alone but SO ANGRY that other people have had to go through this.  How is this garbage still on the shelves?  This is why I will return the box tomorrow and demand my $ and I will also be contacting the company.  This was some of the worst pain I have ever been in.  After reading all these other complaints it is clear that M-1 is WAY WAY WAY too strong among other things.  Make sure it is a YI.  Stick with 7-day.  Try plain yogurt (it does work for many people).  ANYTHING but Monistat-1.  In fact I would boycott this brand/manufacturer altogether.  They really don't deserve our money.  And so many of us think it is just with "me".  You are not alone.  Thanks to all the members here for giving me piece of mind.  Good luck to all of you!
I just wanted to add a positive comment.  I started feeling the symptoms of a yeast infection a week and a half ago.  For a full week, i tried the natural remedies of yogurt and garlic.  It helped a little, but it did not go a way and I was miserable and in tons of pain.  But I read tons of websites that using OTC drugs would just make things worse so I stuck with the yogurt and garlic since I had some bad yeast infections a few years ago and the OTC drugs didn't help much then.  The only thing that helped then is that I quit having sex.  Anyway, I had enough of the suffering on Saturday (its Monday) and decided to go to the drug store. Got the Monistat 1 Day or Night and couldnt be happier.  After all of that suffering, I finally had some relief Saturday night.  For a couple of hours there was a slight burning sensation but it was more something i noticed rather than something that hurt. It kind of had an icy hott feeling.  That night that feeling had gone away and I actually felt comfort.  The next day, there was no swelling and no itching.  It has been two days now and there are still some slight symptoms from time to time, but I am so much better and so thankful to feel comfort!  But its obvious that some people may experience some terrible reactions. I just wanted to share that it was VERY helpful for me and I'm glad it was there for me when I needed it.  Also want to add that the external cream burns like crazy for me.
I was looking for information today on how long the monistat stays in your system and stumbled upon this site. I have to say I started to get scared out of my mind. I got my first yi last November and was prescribed fluconazole and it went away. More recently I went to the doctor a little over a month ago and found I had another yi. They prescribed the meds for me again, but this time it didn't work. When I was there, the doctor downplayed my situation and I felt silly to have to go back or call to get more meds. So, I did what she suggested and started eating yogurt every day. So far the yogurt doesn't seem to be working, so I went to the store yesterday and picked up the monistat 1 because I am so tired of this discharge. I put it in last night before bed and no problems. But today, I have a slight burning sensation (much like what someone else described as an icy-hot feeling). The part that bothers me though is this gross, think greasy stuff that is now coming out - it appears to be the monistat. Does anyone know how long it takes for it to finish/stop coming out?

It just helps to know that there are other women out there going through the same thing and makes me feel more normal, I guess you could say. So thanks everyone for sharing here.
THANK GOD I found this forum before I tried to "wait out" the burning that Monistat 1 ovule was starting to cause.

I was recently prescribed some antibiotics for a bacterial infection and of course, I got a YI. Now it's happened to me before and in the past I used the Monistat 3 day treatment which worked, so I went to the store and saw the Monistat 1 day treatment for the first time and thought "hmmmm, this seems great - an even faster way for my YI to go away" so I purchased it. WHAT A BAD CHOICE!

I just inserted it about 3 hours ago and I think even before I decided to just do some hardcore kegals to get that mess out of me, my body began to just REJECT it. I started to have a Bengay/Icey-Hot type sensation in my vagina, so I thought it was "working". Of course, NO WHERE on the box does it truly describe what to expect.

Then the "chemical burn" type burn started to occur down there. I know that sensation because I'm a black girl who used to go to a salon to get her hair straightened via chemical relaxers and I've had a couple minor chemical burns or 2 on my scalp on the past. It was the SAME sensation but in my vagina.

Thank goodness I have a full length mirror because even after bushing all that mess out via kegals, AND wiping the cream off as much as possible with a babywipe, I'm sure there's still a bit of it stuck in where I can't get to it (my vaginal walls).

After reading all these posts on this forum I had to share my experience too. Not sure if that way too strong Monistat 1 was enough to get rid of my YI, especially since I pushed it out but maybe it was. I'm afraid to even use anything else now. I think I'm going to write Monistat a letter about this cr@p - it should be pulled from the shelves ASAP.
This remedy has worked for me.  Whenever i get a yeast infection, my doctor treats my boyfriend as well.  Eat yogurt and craisins as well they keep the infection away.
If the itching becomes unbearable, sit in some warm salt water for at least 10 minutes.
I also used Monistat-1 two weeks ago and was given a diflucan pill.  Since then my yeast infection seems to be gone, but there is still external burning.  i'm assuming it is from the monistat, since before taking the monistat I only had a slight itch and a bit of discharge- now i seem to be irritated externally.  My doctor told me to just wait it out, and in the meantime gave me hydrocortizone cream to relieve the discomfort.  Just wondering how long this takes to heal???
All this week I've been suffering from itch, swelling and redness. I've been trying to stay with natural remedies as well. I started by putting two cloves of garlic in everything I ate. Then I figured if its an infection then I should bolster my immune system. So I started taking emergen-c. Well that was all going well. I also have a hand held shower head and would stay in the shower for 20 even 30 minutes to relieve the itching. After drying off I would apply vitamin e   externally and go to sleep. As I said that was working. Well then I had to go out of town and I wouldn't have the shower head. I found the monistat one day treatment and took it with me. I inserted the capsule around 10pm and ten minutes later I was jumping off the couch in PAIN!!! I couldn't believe that this was supposed to be that way.  I googled monisat one day treatment and found you all on here and started to read the horror stories. I know we aren't supposed to ****** but I had to try to get that stuff out of me. I douched with plain cold water for about 5 minutes then I got in the shower again and rinsed my special area over and over again. Some of the cream came out and some of it came out on the ****** top. Finally, its calmed down some but its still burning. I'm hoping it didn't go further up, but I did get a lot out.  This is Dante's mid realm of hell to be sure. From now on I'll keep up with the natural remedies. Abstain when I can and take the sitz baths instead. One person said it was like napalm or applying a chemical relaxer to your vagina. Its true. Be kind to your omi and stay away from Monistat!!!!!
I just took the 3day monistat.And am experiencing the icey-hot felling as well. It gets worse after I pee.OMG, I should have NEVER took this medicine.They should take this off the markets.Or shove it up one of the makers(probably a man) B U T T!! I am miserable & scared it will mess up my insides (vagina).PLZ DONT take this med!
Hi. I'm happy to have read this forum, because I too have been suffering from vaginal infections and their aftermaths. I was treated initially with antibiotics for a bacterial infection (noticed a strong smell and was spotting after sex). These antibiotics then caused a yeast infection. My doctor says it is rare with the antibiotics for BV to cause YI, but it happened. I would recommend the vaginal cream treatment for BV instead of taking antibiotics. So then she prescribed the 1 time pill Diflucan for the yeast infection. I felt great after the first day, so I went out drinking....big mistake. Not only did I probably damage my liver from drinking and Diflucan at the same time, but I also fed the yeast infection with the alcohol intake. After a couple days, my yeast infection symptoms came back and I couldn't get in to the doctor for a few days, so I decided to do the monistat 3-day ovuls and the external cream. It burned A LOT, especially the external cream. I am now on my first day of not using anything (day 4) and I'm still having external burning and irritation at the opening of the vagina. I rubbed some plain fat-free yogurt on there which did help for a few hours. It is diminishing, so I'm going to keep my hopes up that it will get better with time. Others who have suffered from this burn, please let us know how long it lasts for you!
Thanks everyone!
I wrote a comment on April 26, 2008 and I decided to write again because I believe that the Monistat 1 has caused me some medical problems.  You can go back and read my April 26, 2008 blog and then come back to this if you want.  Ever since the day I injected the Monistat 1 my health has not been the same.  I spoke with Monistat several times and they were apologetic.  I realy don't think it's going to help.  They said they thought I had a rare alregic reaction to this stuff.  I believe it!  I still am waking up and having stomach pains.  I recently went in for my yearly checkup and they checked my blood platlets once again.  They are down to 18,000!!  Not Good!  I have to watch everything that I do now so that I don't start bleeding internally.  If I do I have to go to the hospial ASAP.  There is no other explanation.  All of my other blood work has come back fine.  I still believe it was the monistat that caused some kind of damage to my inter-stomache area.  I have to see a hemotoligist now to do further testing.  PLEASE....IF YOU READ THIS BEFORE YOU USE MONISTAT.........DO NOT USE IT!!!  IT WILL BE THE WORSE THING YOU WILL EVER EXPERIENCE!!!  
I'm about ready to die from the burning pain! I had the start of what I thought was an YI. I had a white discharge w/what looked like tiny pieces of toilet paper. I've had an YI before that was really bad and used Monistat1 and had a little bit of burning but it ended up going away. I decided to use it again this time and what a huge mistake that was. I was only experiencing dryness and some discharge and now since using the freakin Monistat 1 I'm burning inside my vagina like crazy. My labium minora (?) ( inner lip) on the right side is so swollen it sticks out. The burning I'm feeling is inside my vagina not so much on the outside. I've tried taking all the goopy Monistat out but have a feeling it's stuck way up there. Has anyone else had swelling in the same place as me? I shouldn't have used this stupid medicine, the pain from it is so much worse than the YI was! Monistat needs to be sued!
I wish I read this forum before I purchased the Monistat 1.  Couple hours after I insert monistat 1, I feel the "chemical burn" down there.  At first I thought it was the medicine working but after 1 hours, the pain becomes unbearable, so i decide to wash it out.  Thank god when I purchase the Monistat 1, I purchased the Summer's Eve® ****** to clean my vagina as well.  ****** is the process of cleansing or rinsing the vagina.  After using 3 bottle of ******, I think I got most of the Monistat out and I feel much better. And the chemical burning is gone.   I will continue to use the ****** tomorrow and try to get the medicine out.  Hope this help.

If nothing works on you, may be its not Yeast. May be you have got a fungal problem. I got a similar problem many years back and my doctor prescribed me "Fungicon 150" and "Travogen Cream".

I took that one pill of Fungicon 150 in the night, (Its an Oral pill) and started applying the cream after cleaning and drying virginal area. I applied the cream in the morning and in the night. When I use it for couple of days, itching completely went off. I never got that burning like feeling. However doctor asked me to apply it for 5 days. It really worked on me. My doctor also said, white discharge is normal in the female body.  

Whenever I get the problem once in a while, I always use the same treatment.

Please read instructions before using the cream for best results. I wish for a world without virginal problems. (Like a dream, isn't it??)
I used Monistat-1 as well last night and woke up this morning in a vast amount of pain. The left side of my labia minora was swollen and red.  I'm happy to say that within 24 hours of application my swelling has decreased although there is still a lot of pain down there.  I was wondering, because my vaginal area is still burning and itching, if I did not actually have a yeast infection and if that is the case what else could it be? What should I do to treat it?
So I just got a YI after literally having one just a month ago. Because I recognized the symptoms, I decided to treat it myself and bought a Monistat-1. A couple of hours after applying it, I peed and a good amount of the monistat came out. I did experience a mild burning and itching sensation while it was inside though. It's the day after having inserted it, and the discharge is different. Before the monistat I had a gooey white discharge that I recognized as a developing yeast infection. After taking the monistat, I have a really thick discharge that is exactly like the cottage cheese everyone describes as the most common symptom. Did the monistat make my YI worst, or is this just the medicine doing it's job? HELP ME!
I join the other voices when I say I really wished I had researched Monistat1 BEFORE I went through this pain!  My experience was exactly as others described.  Knew I had a YI coming on, very early stages, want to catch it quick, get it over with before my period started (which was 4 days away).  Purchased the Monistat 1 day or night combo pack, inserted the ovule, and woke up wanting to pull my vagina out of my body and toss it as far as I could I was in so much pain.  Serious swelling, where the actual inside was poking out.  Horrible!  Ladies report it to Monistat, yes all they do is send you a check for a refund but they give you a reference number.  Then go online and go to the FDA website and report adverse effect of a product.  This stuff does not need to be on shelves to cause anyone else this pain.  It took me about 20 minutes to fill out the FDA forms, but if it gets things moving in the right direction of getting this product removed from the shelves, its so worth it!

Two days later and I'm still swollen, sore and in pain, but I'm hoping the oatmeal baths, and taking it easy will get me back on the right track to a happy, healthy girl again.
Ladies,
Here is the link to file with the FDA for problems with Monistat1 or any drug that you have an adverse effect with:

http://www.fda.gov/medwatch/elist.htm

I think its important when as many women have problems as we have to ensure that we report it, so others don't suffer.
I was in a hurry and didn't realize that the Monistat 1 had a little blue cap that you are suppsed to remove first before you use it. The cap is inside me now. What can I do? I don't want to have to go to Doctor  unless I have to.
Regarding sex and yeast infections...  I found that with my ex-husband I always seemed to get a yeast infection after we had sex.  He often used his hands to stimulate me.  With my current partner, I have found that I rarely get yeast infections because he does not use his hands as much and when he does, he makes sure that he washes his hands before.  We let these standards slip the other night.  And, guess what?!  Bingo.  I got a yeast infection.  Regarding your partner shaving, it may be adding to the problem.  Why don't you suggest that he stop for a while and see if that helps?  Just thought I would share this info since us girls don't seem to talk about these things enough and end up suffering more than is necessary.

Also, a few bits of info about what has and has not worked for me.  Monistat 1 day does not work.  The 3 day usually does.  The Monistat topical cream burns like heck on the first day.  Yogurt offers some relief from the almost unbearable pain and irritation.  But maybe the topical cream works better in the long run, I don't know. Good luck to you.
i'm 20 years old and for the last 14 months i've been dealing with chronic yeast infections. at first i used the monistat and it seemed to make it go away... (( i began getting htem when i began dating my boyfriend and having sex)) then it kep reoccuring every month burning, itching and discharge.. so not somethin gyou want to tell your new boyfriend you have!
i ended up going to planned parenthood ((since i didn't have any health ins)) they told me i have BV so i was treated fr that, went away totally in 7 days i thought THANK GOD! but.... then 3 weeks later it was back so they gave me the pill metronidazol ((i think thats how its spelled ha)) 3 more times for 3 more months. i got insurance through my job and went to my mothers gyno where i was told that i just have a horomone imbalance and that i would just have to deal with it... so i have been until monday i notice i had a full blown yeast infection swollen, pain ithing thick discharge... sooo i took Monistat 1 monday night and NO HELP!! it burned and oozed. so i figured i'd try it again last night i used Monistat 1 day or night.. what a ******* mistake!! the burning and itching that is occuring at the opening to my vagina is HORRIBLE that i couldn't go to class today and i'm thinking of not going to work. i will never use monistat 1 again.. but now i'm at a loss.. im only 20 and since i was 18 i've been dealing with this.. i just want to be normal and not worry each month if i'm goin to get it!

anyone have anything they've done to help? my doctors aren't helping at all...

thanks,
miserable
umm i'd get to a doctor!! unless you feel you can push it out.

it can cause some serious problems hun!

Miserable
You shouldn't treat yourself for a yeast infection unless you KNOW for sure you have a yeast infection.  The problem with assuming it's a yeast infection and then messing with that area is that you WILL disrupt the pH and cause a lot of problems for yourself.

I am 32 years old and have had a yeast infection 3 times in my life and BV once.  Their symptoms could be very similar but their treatments vary greatly.  If you are unsure as to what exactly is going on down there TALK TO YOUR DOCTOR before doing anything.  Do NOT mess with that area if you're not 100% sure what the problem is or you WILL encounter problems.

There are two differences between a yeast infection and bacterial vaginosis that can help tell them apart.  They are discharge and odor.

I have never had any discharge of any kind when I had a yeast infection, although I know that is a symptom.  I also have never had any odor.

When I had bacterial vaginosis I knew right off the bat it was not yeast.  Why?  The smell, especially after sex, and it was disgusting and embarrassing!  I also had yellow, almost greenish color discharge that smelled really bad.  I made an appointment and my doctor told me it was BV and gave me a prescription for it which made me feel better immediately.  She also told me that so many women will have BV and then diagnose themselves as to having a yeast infection and repeatedly try to treat themselves with OTC yeast infection treatments which cause a lot of problems in their vaginas.

BE CAREFUL.

I recently had a yeast infection after a very stressful and hormonal month.  I knew it was a yeast infection because of the itching and burning I had without the discharge.  I tried to treat it with eating and applying plain yogurt to the area and raw apple cider vinegar sitz baths, but after a few days and getting no relief, I knew I needed something stronger.  I bought the Monistat 1 Day or Night treatment and used it around 6 pm.  The first 3 hours were agony, I admit, but a warm bath helped relieve some of the burning and itching.  

Note:
***  Please don't scratch that area or you may cause more problems for yourself - it's best to ride it out, apply a compress with some pressure, or take a warm bath.  Scratching that area and tearing the skin will only create more discomfort and take a longer time to heal.  Be strong, you are a woman after all.  ***

That night I slept comfortably in my bed and the next morning I felt like myself again.  I had no negative reaction to Monistat 1 Day or Night treatment.

The next few days I ate a lot of plain yogurt to just balance myself.  I eat yogurt everyday, but I increased the amount just for good measure.

While few of you may have had a yeast infection and a bad side effect to the Monistat, I believe most were treating symptoms you believed were yeast and really bacteria.  It's vital to get yourself tested and diagnosed before doing anything to mess with that fragile area.  Perhaps taking these products off the shelves and making them available only by prescription to avoid self-diagnosis is the answer.  

Or, better yet, women, get yourself educated on how your body works and its delicate chemistry.

Good luck to all.
If you don't go to the doctor go to your local Wal-Mart go to the pharmacy section if you can't stand the taste of cranberry juice you can buy cranberry tablet's for your urninary tract health or you can even talk to someone in the pharmacy and they will help you GOOD LUCK
Hello everyone

So...I have a yeast infection and am looking for the quickest way to get rid of it. My only symptoms have been itching and that lovely discharge (no burning). I tried a generic version of Monistat 3 (used it Thursday - Saturday). Today is Monday and I still have these symptoms (itching is nearly gone, but still with the discharge). So, I guess I'm just wondering if I'm being impatient or if this isn't working. I'm thinking of getting Monistat 1 tomorrow. Good idea or no?

On a side note: I have been reading a lot about alternative ways to treat yeast infections. What are your thoughts on the use of garlic?

Thanks,
Gedanke
hello everyone!

I have been reading all of your comments and am comforted by the fact that other women are having the same trouble, but annoyed that none of us really has the answer!!

Just after my period almost three weeks ago I started feeling like I had a yeast infection.  I decided since I don't have insurrance or a Doc, I'd research some holistic remedies and try to treat it myself.  I cut out sugar from my diet, and am trying to avoid things like bread.  I was eating lots of probiotic yogurt and actually sticking a garlic clove inside my vagina at night (gross, I know--but you know how bad these things can get and I am willing to try anything to make it feel better).  During the day I was sprinkling a few drops of tea tree oil on a tampon and inserting that.  

I noticed that while the garlic was inside I felt relief, but as soon as it came out, the itching was back.  Same with the tea tree.  Yogurt has not seemed to do anything, though I have not been using it topically.  Yesterday I broke down and got Monistat I.  I was hoping that my holistic treatments had knocked down the intensity of the infection enough that the monistat i would cure it.  I took it last night and noticed no problems, throughout the night the leaking kept waking me up, but there was no major pain like the ladies above had.  However, this morning, I woke up with the icy-hot feeling and  the itching was worse (more inside my vagina that on the outiside like earlier).  I got on the computer and have been reading up on Monistat I for the last two hours.  The icy hot feeling is still there, but not as bad, and the itching seems to have subsided.  I think I am going to leave the ovule in with the hopes that this icy hot feeling is actually it working because I dont feel like I have the incredible pain that the other ladies experienced.....but i am worried that I am screwing up.  Wish I could go to a doc and i wish someone else had the answers....wouldnt it be nice if one cure worked for everyone?!  

Just saw the post about the garlic and as no one had mentioned using garlic before, thought I would share my experiences, hope this helps, though I know it probably wont--since I don't have the answer either!!!!!!
after reading the first comments about monistat 1 i was freaked - that the burning would be with me forever (that raw hot feeling - had for  3 weeks). but no i had bv! and not a yeast. go to the doc to make sure what you have - bc u'll just make it worst if you don't. got treated for bv- then got a yeast infection and the kroger 3 day didnt work (still had the hot raw sensation) - went to PP their medication for 7 days yeast treatment is going well! my vagina is back to normal!

THANK GOD

make sure what you have- and use a 7 day for YI
I used a Monistat1 on Sunday. I had burning, swelling, and redness. My symptoms seem to get a little better by Tuesday. On Wednesday morning I had a moderate itch, by Wednesday afternoon my itching got much much worse. I'd whip hard just to scratch my itch. By the time I got off of work I was itching like CRAZY and hurting at the same time. I could not take the itching anymore and went directly to the Pharmacy  and bought the Monistat3. I've used Monistat3 in the past and it worked fine for me. This was my first and LAST time using Monistat1. I've only used one dose of the Monistat3 treatment so far but I do have some relief.
I feel obligated to post my experience with monistat 1 on here. Yesterday I used this product around 3pm. I have to say I did have some slight cramping and little tingling sensation for a while but today i woke up fine and every sign of my yeast infection is gone. Just after taking the monistat I came on this forum and was horrified. I called my mom and told her I was going to get a spoon and take it out. She assured me to wait it out and let the product do it's job and it did. Yes, maybe for some women it doesn't work, maybe your problem is to severe and it needed to be treated earlier on. I was very happy with my experience with Monistat 1 and would use this product again should the circumstance occur.

As far as the discharge, yea it's gross...but i'd rather the yuck come out than stay in me. only makes sense.
I just took the Monistat 1 day and am ANXIOUSLY awaiting the results. Wish I had read this before. Thus far I concur with the burning and am having EXTREME itching. However, I am still hoping for long-term positive results, although, I understand that the chances that things will turn out well are slim.

I also want to make sure to say that even though this forum was a bit scary and I wish I had seen it BEFORE it inserted that stupid thing, the information on here was remarkable and helpful. It's nice to know that I am simply not alone, and have gained so much knowledge about what to do differently next time (including calling my Dr...which would be easier if I had one, or insurance for that matter, etc). I will most definitely recommend this to my female (and male) friends. This was so broad and subjective...THIS is what women need. Thanks again.
Sure looks like a couple of these recent comments were posted by marketing professionals from Monistat!  I am 42 and have had a dozen or more yeast infections throughout my life, so I am very familiar with the symptoms they cause and what to expect from treatment (including Monistat.)  My experience with Monistat 1 last night was totally different  - painful burning in my vagina so intense it woke me up. I even considered going to the ER.  I wish now I'd fished the stuff out.  Now, 12 hours later it is still burning, although thankfully less.  I have zero doubt this is a reaction to the medication, not the yeast, and I would never recommend this product to anyone!  It should be taken off the shelves.
wow i took the 3 day monostat and i have weird dischange after taking it  it seems like we are all having problems after we take the medication it's creeping me out and i want this weird dischange to go away :'(
I relate to all of you who have used Monistat 1.  I used that awful product in July and I'm still suffering.  I wished that I would have just gone to my doctor instead of treating myself.  A day or so after I used the Monistat 1 (cream filled applicator) I went to my family doctor. She said that she wishes the Monistat 1 would be taken off the market.  She said it is way too strong.  After examining me and stating that I had a yeast infection, she put me on Diflucan and I felt better during the treatment, but the symptoms came back after about a month so I called and got a refill on the Diflucan.  Since then I've been suffering with a white, milky discharge, redness, and burning.  Last week I went to my GYN and she said she saw no yeat and she put me on a steroid ointment.  She said to use it twice/day and I should feel better in a week.  Well, I'm still having the redness & burning and tomorrow will be the one-week mark.  After reading all these posts I think that I have a chemical reaction and burn from the Monistat 1.  Oh, and I'm also using Dove unscented soap and All Free & Clear detergent.  I'm doing everything my GYN said so as to not irritate the area.  Does anyone have an opinion on me having a chemical burn/reaction to the Monistat 1 and how long I'm going to have to suffer?  Will it ever go away?  Thank you all for listening.  I'm so glad I found this board.
I tried Monostat 1 and I'm no different from the ladies who previously  posted with the sever side effects.  
Did any one tried something like yeastrol?  I found this on the http://www.symptoms-yeast-infection-treatment.com/male-yeast-infection-cure.html
Hi everyone,

I didn't have time to read ALL the comments, as there are so many.
I have had pap tests and i'm neg. for any STD's and such. I have been red, itchy, painful urination, what looks to be like papercuts on the exterior and a white discharge. My doctor said it was a yeast infection and perscribed Monistat 3 day. The one with the cream as well for these "cuts". I am now done taking it and haven't noticed much of a change. Still some discharge and the cuts still remain. After I put the cream on, it doesn;t hurt as much to pee but I find I have to continually put it on or it will be so sore. I'm sooo uncomfortable and do not know what to do! Is it normal that it doesn't go away immediately after finishing the Monistat? It's been a day now since I've taken it.
I will say that I am on BC. but have been for years and this has never been a problem! I'm so glad I found this board and I'm not alone on this stuff. Anyone with info please msg back!!
It is now 2:51am.  I inserted Monistat 1 at 11pm, and was awakened at 1:30am by the most intense internal and external itching that I have ever experienced in my life.  I will NEVER use this product again.  I only found this sight by googling "Monistat Reaction", assuming that this is what was happening to me.  I've tried to push (reverse Kegel) as much of this goo out of my body as possible, and wish that my boyfriend was here to help me get it all out.  I can't seem to reach inside myself to get it all, but oh how I wish I could.  I'm praying that this will subside soon.  VERY UNCOMFORTABLE.  
Hi everyone,
Thank you all for sharing your stories.  I also experienced symptoms and tried the Monistat 1 treatment. However, I read this column the same day and decided it was the best idea to see a doctor - there are so many different things it could be when we experience female discomfort; STDs, vaginal infection, yeast...things like bladder infections often go hand in hand with the same symptoms, and those can lead to kidney troubles.  Ladies deal with so many problems and it can be hard to tell if you have a vaginal infection, or yeast – and if so, which strains.
The truth is, if you're sitting in your room desperately searching for advice or for women who are going through what you are, there is ONE simple truth - we are all different, and we have medical experts who can not only fix the physical symptoms, but ease our minds. So don’t listen to what worked for everyone else.  You need a real medical plan to fix you – and quickly I suspect!
Go see a doctor!  I hate as much as the next girl to put on that gown, but the relief of knowing I have an answer and a medicine that will work is reason enough to go.  If your personal doctor or OBGYN can't get you in quickly (which is ridiculous), go to an urgent care, prompt care, or women's care center who specializes in these things.  Planned Parenthood does exams for almost free and you can just go right in.  Isn't it worth knowing what the problem is and following their advice?  I few swabs, a few questions – and you’ll have a LOT of answers.
They can also figure out if maybe you and a partner are passing infections back and forth, or if the bacteria have led to a bladder infection, or if there is concern for an STD.  They can offer suggestions to keep your problem from reoccurring.
I woke up itchy and tried Monistat 1 today, thinking I knew it all already.  I read this column and remembered that there are a LOT of variables - so I went to a doctor at a prompt care.  An hour in the waiting room, 5 minutes in the exam room, and I felt much happier knowing it was a simple yeast infection and that a culture was being done to determine the type of yeast.  One pill, and a vaginal cream - cost me $10 total, plus the doc visit, and my peace of mind is worth every penny of the $30 I spend for peace of mind.  Stop WONDERING – just go.  Be safer, be happier, and stop worrying.  It’s the only way to find out!
Ladies, go see your doctors!  Don't assume what worked for one person will work for you.  Don't self diagnose!  I know that what we were all looking to do when we came to this page, but the doctors are the tools to fix us!  Put on the darn gown, let them look, and it will all be over in a flash.
Hang in there - being a woman is about strength, and when we have these troubles I know it makes us all feel weak and not like ourselves.  Use your medical resources to become strong and confident again.  I can't urge you more strongly.  Don't follow the advice of someone who doesn't know medicine and doesn't know your body.  Just go see a doctor and you'll be feeling better within HOURS like I was.  The Monistat 1 made me feel terrible, and my anxiety grew the longer my symptoms got worse.  It took an hour of my life to start feeling 80% better - and now I am thankful.  Please take my advice!  I just want you all to start feeling better too! A doctor – see one.  If you are slightly concerned about other things, let them test for STDs too.  Don’t be embarrassed.  In those places they do this all the time.  Just go in, and get it over with so you can start living your life.  
Be strong ladies!
I agree with you giget8.  I will also add that I'd been to see my nurse practitioner, who'd swabbed me and confirmed that I had a slight yeast infection the day that I used Monistat.   She could have given me the pill you took, but said I could also use Monistat, which is why I did.  When I called the next day to ask about my terrible reaction, I was told that this was not uncommon.  NOT UNCOMMON?  Well, I know that now from reading this website.  Monistat 1 should have huge warnings all over it if it is even allowed to stay on the market!

It is eight days later, and here is what ended up healing me from my Monistat 1 drug reaction.  I am completely back to normal.

1. Upon waking in the night with the terrible itching and burning, I went into the bathroom and pushed as much of the white cream (melted ovule) out of my vagina, and used my fingers to get out what I could.
2. In the morning, I went straight to CVS when they opened and bought a reusable douche system.  I used this to douche repeatedly with body temperature water that morning before work.
3. After work, I melted about 2 tablespoons of organic, virgin coconut oil in a pitcher with a bit of boiling hot water.  I then added cool water to bring the temp down to body temp and douched again.  I repeatedly filled the douche with the coconut oil water and washed out my vagina with this mixture.  It was close to 24 hours since inserting the Monistat and the itching was gone, and the burning reduced by about half.
4. The second morning, I awoke quite a bit better, now at 75% reduction in burning and pain.  I douched yet again, this time with plain water, repeatedly in the shower.
5. After a full day with no burning I resumed my sex life and experienced some burning and a feeling of being "raw" during intercourse.
6. The next day (now 4 days since using the Monistat) I tried intercourse again, feeling a bit of discomfort at first and then using the organic coconut oil as lubrication, and felt no pain.
7. During all of this, I've been taking a high-dose level of probiotics purchased from a holistic doctor, to repopulate the good buggies that should be living in my vagina and gut to keep the yeast from growing out of control.  The brand is: Repleniss

Lessons learned:  
1. NO MONISTAT 1 ever again.  I would only use a 3 or 7 day cream in the future.
2. Organic coconut oil is not just for cooking and dry skin; its also a healthy and wonderful sex lube.
3. I must avoid triple strength antibiotic creams!  My system is too sensitive.  This is the second time I was using an antibiotic over-the-counter cream to treat a cut and ended up with a yeast infection.
4. I need to keep stress levels and sugar eating in check and get enough sleep.

I hope this helps the next poor woman who finds this post, as she inevitably will as long as this product is still on the market.

I used the Monistat 1 ovule on Saturday night. It's now Thursday and although the itching and redness are gone I still have a small amount of discharge...is this normal? I've seen many sites that said it can take 7 days to go away, has anyone else had an experience with this? Also, I saw online that starting your period can naturally alleviate a yeast infection, something about pH levels...I'll start next week so I'm hoping this will all be over by Halloween :(
ok so im not here to negate what everybody is saying but here's my story..yesterday @ 3 pm. I used a monistat 1 ovule which also came w/ monistatderm cream + coolwhipes..three hrs after insertion of ovule I sat down @ my computer and started to read all of your comments and frankly got scarred..I could feel that warmth inside although it wasnt uncomfortable it was warm!  I really came close to doing the Kegal thing to remove it but decided to wait it out.  While reading ur comments I made several trips to the bathroom..the 1st time there had been a discharge of some of the ovule so I clensed myself right away + changed my pad..the 2nd and third time I just cleansed..I work nights so I worked from 11 pm - 7 am..and as the night wore on I felt better..around 5 am I discharged some yellow stuff completely watery yet stringy..I must take u back to the beginning of all this though...Sept starts & my bf and I experience symptoms that are similar..I get abdominal cramps some cold fevers and he gets different colored discharge than I but its all the same..itchy inside, discharge, burn when peeing..we go to hospital & like us they think its an STD..my bf and I have been together for almost seven years & are completely faithful to each other + we just had a son Oct. 08 so I know I'm clean...they prescribe azithromycin these 4 tablets you have to take in one shot (1000mg) and doxycycline for a week..my bf's symptoms go away..mine lessen but remain..a month later still no word on our results so I decide to head back to the hospital to get cheched again..they prescribe same as last time except this time the doxycycline is in a shot and I get my results all negative..they tell me that if by first week of nov. I dont hear from them again it means all negative again..I still havent heard from them but still after second treatment some symptoms persist in a weakened state but still anoying..I get my period in oct. and after it ends WHAM then hits the itching and discomfort and well you all know what its like to have YI..now I havent been diagnoosed yet..I have an apt. w/ an GYN on thurs. but I'm pretty sure this is what I've had from the beg.  YI can be passed to your mate during unprotected sex so it would explain why in the middle of nowhere we both got sick, it would also explain why this month is worse since antibiotics make YI's worse...and since taking that ovule yesterday I feel sooo much better..I'm not itchy anymore..discomfort is almost all gone as well the discharge and I know it hasnt been 24 hrs yet but I'm keeping my fingers crossed...so why did monistat not burn me (thank god) or react like yours did??
Hello everyone!
I am a 19 year old college student who is experiencing all this for the first time.  Starting about 3 days ago, I have been experiencing intense itching and burning.  There has also been some nasty discharge.  I called my mom and she told me it was probably a yeast infection.  So I went to CVS this morning and bought Monistat 1.  I inserted the ovule, and put on some of the cream.  Maybe an hour later I took a look to check things out, and I noticed a lot of white gooey stuff everywhere.  Is this normal?  And then I found this site, and after reading everyone's experiences, I am wondring if it would be better for me to just try and get all the stuff out.  Please help me! I have no idea what to do!
ive been feeling the same exact thing all of u described, im so relieved im not the only one thats having issues down there, i used monistat last night 12/09/09 before i went to bed, i thought that by using the one day pack i wouldnt have all that mess but i was wrong, it looks like glue n im burned down there, how long does it take for all of glue looking stuff is completely out?
never had an yeast infection EVER (by the way i'm 20), so one day last week before my period started i began to be very itchy maybe a day or so later my vaginal lips where very sore and somewhat painful and a bit puffy, i kinda shrugged it off thinking maybe i've been wiping to hard when i urinate or been using to much nair on that area...but i knew something was wrong when the itching became unbearable, and also had internal itching which was painful and burning, but some parts of the day it wasn't so bad then other parts (mostly night time) it was crazy itching and stinging...so i spent days researching my symptoms, i figured i had a yeast infection so then i researched what can heal such an infection, monistat was the preferred medication...i went to kroger's today and decided to get monistat 1day(just to get simple quick relief without so much hassle) it cost me about $20.32, but anyway i went home took a long warm shower then started the so called treatment for some reason i put the itch cream on first and then debated on whether or not to go through with putting the ovule thing in, but i did it...the first few minutes where ok, when i started to walk i felt so uncomfortable, few minutes later i was in freaking HELL, on the directions it says to lay down so i did or at least i tried IT HURTED SO BADLY SO MUCH INTENSE BURNING I WAS LITERALLY SHAKING and did not want to walk or lay down, i started to wipe with the cooling pads but that really didn't help so i took a clean towel and wiped down there, creamy tan sticky and really stinky goo was left on my towel (on the directions tho it said the side affects where: mild increase of burning, itching and discharge) so i just figured it was suppose to be like that...wiped a couple times same stuff comes out...so it's been a few hours since i inserted the ovule and really it seems like the itching and severe pain has gone away and right now i'm sitting and writing this IN NO TYPE OF HELLISH PAIN, just a little warm sinsation...
so maybe this stuff is waaaaaay to strong that's probably why a few mins. after i put it in i wanted to just go crazy but i guess just wait it out for awhile IF POSSIBLE and let it settle.
(WELL THAT WAS MY EXPERIENCE, I PRAY HARD IT DOESN'T HAPPEN AGAIN)....PEACE
Okay, so the day before thanksgiving (it's now almost christmas) i woke up swollen and tender and sore. I waited for a few wees for it to get better on it's own, but every time i thought it was it would get worse. Then last week i was actually woken up in the middle of the night, multiple times, by a burning sensation that nothing would stop. I was using basic moisturizing cream for the rash, but after a week of not being able to sleep through the night i called my gynocologist. Long story short i was diagnosed with a "very bad" yeast infection and told to buy monistat 1 day ovule combination pack. That night (two nights ago now) i took a bath then inserted the ovule. A few hours later I experienced the worst pain of my life. I assumed that since I had been wet, that the ovule had dissolved too fast and the medicine had been released too quickly, then burned my rash at the opening.
I was afraid, until now, that i'd wiped all of the medicine out that first night, but after reading this thread I realize that it's still there. I have that white filmy layer thing and the cream is still burning. I think in the morning I'll wash it all out and go buy a seven day cream, hopefully that will work better.
thankyou so much to everyone who posted here, it's been such a huge help, i was starting to be afraid that i'd never be better, and that something worse was wrong.
I have had a yeast infection for about a week now and I either gave it to my partner or he gave it to me. I have visited several vitamin stores and tried several at home remedies. The monastat one day did not help me at all and in fact made things wayyyy worse! The only thing that has giving me relief is apple cider vinigar. I found an article about it online and it said that you can dilute a small amount and use a q-tip to dab it on I am not going to lie it burns for a short period of time(about 5 min or less) and then you get complete relief and it also says that you can pour some in to the bath tub.....I was in so much pain I didnt want to take the time to sit in the bath tub so I just q-tiped it on. i also read that the acid in vinigar can actually help to restore the pH levels in your vaginal area so far so good with the vinigar but I will never use monistat again!
Hey guys!! I have been sexually active for a little while now, and a couple weeks ago, Ive felt a burning itching sensation down there. it was very uncomfortable and i didn't like it one bit!!!! it has gone away now, i have no symptoms. I didn't have any treatment either, is there any way i could still have it? Or if its more serious now? Please help me! I'm very nervous.
All I can say is Class Action Law suit!!! This Product Is Not right and it Burned the Hell out of my V-J And I am Pissed!!!!! Ladies we can not let them get away with this!! We will own Moni-Burn:-(
i use monistat 3 i don't think i use it right  the first 2 night should i start over again
monistat  1 worked for me and although there was slight itching on the third day from the burn of the chemical.I feel terrible for all of the mishaps , I would encourage you to sit in warm salt water it will help with the itching, burning and swelling. Think about the Dead sea spas and its healing properties. Sit in that warm salt water it will help.... Do it mutliple times a day for best results.
I am 20 years old and this is my first YI, i am a student and just wanted to get it over with so i bought m1. I was fine at first and then by the time i tried to go to sleep my vajay felt like it was on fire!!! I got on here read all of these comments and immediately tried to remove it and then got in the shower. i feel a little better now that most of it is gone but i am now putting a cold compress on the outside of my underwear which is helping a lot.. i would also suggest taking advil or something to help.
ugh never again will i try this..
I have a yeast infection, or so i think. I told my mom about it, she's a nurse. Im only 16, and it was freaking me out. She got me monistat1 and i just used it last night (cream and the insert). I read this forum and now i dont know if i wanna persist with it. It scares me reading all the comments. Should i stop with this stuff and get other treatment? Now i wish i didnt do anything and read this first! But she said if its worse or doesnt get better that we'd go to the doctor tomorrow. ...but i dont wanna go... afraid of what they'll do to me... my most common fear of the doctor, but eventually i'll have to get over it. I've had to many bad experiences. Please... give me advice?
I've used Monistat 3 with good results. No burning, itching, etc. from using it. I was going to try the Monistat 1 but am thankful I read this, but I'm not sure if I'd have the same bad reactions since Monistat 3 was totally fine and cured the yeast infection. Any thoughts?
Hi- I just had minor itching and stupidly took Ministat 1 without doing any research, and I am pretty badly burning and itching- far worse than I felt without the med.  Now, if I were you....Do not take this Monistat 1 crap first-  go grab some good plain yogurt- use inside and out, take ibuprofin, see doc, maybe use something milder/less severe...good luck, everyone.
I wish I had read this before...I just took this as of yesterday, and am on my 2nd day, and have NEVER had this horrible itching in my entire life.  It's the worst I've ever had.  I've had a yeast infection before and used Canesten, and have never had an issue..I'll never be using this stuff again
I can't thank you enough for this discussion.  I came across it over the weekend.  I've been going through a similar situation as many of you and I felt it was important to come back after I've seen my doctor and share my story...

In March I started to have yeast infection symptoms (the itching, the cottage-like discharge, no odor).  I decided I was going to leave it alone and let my body heal itself.  BAD idea.  2 1/2 weeks later I was in agony and broke down and purchased Monistat 1.  I've had a few yeast infections in the past and it had always worked for me (although I have always experienced the intense itching and burning from the medication I thought it was worth it when the infection was gone).  While using the treatment I had my period and used tampons as I didn't read until later that's a no no.  Within the week my symptoms went away.  My fiance and I resumed our normal sex life.

My fiance and I had intercourse in April and the next morning the symptoms started again (itching in my clitoris).  This time I treated immediately with another Monistat 1.  I did not have my period, so no tampon use, and we did not resume sexual activity until 7 days after I did the treatment.  Again my symptoms went away.

Again in May we had intercourse and the next morning I had symptoms again (itching and discharge, no odor).  This was now the 3rd time in 2 months and I started to freak out.  My symptoms began on Saturday morning and I decided not to treat and to make an appointment with my doctor first thing Monday.  

Let me note the symptoms did not return every time we've had sex in the past two months, but every time they did return was about 12 hours after we had sex.  

I am 27 years old.  My fiance and I are getting married in 2 weeks, and we've been together for 5 years.  We've been tested since we've been together and had no reason to consider STD's, but I do have an intense fear of doctors and sickness so I worried about this anyway.  I searched the internet while obsessing about what was going on with my body, as I'm sure you can relate.  Anything going on with my lady parts is unsettling.  For anyone going through this now, PLEASE go see a doctor.  I know it's terrifying for some (myself included) but find your strength to face it because chances are there's nothing to fear.  In the end knowing is always better than not knowing, so use these sites to see others have been through the same thing but in the end face it and let your doctor treat you.

I saw my doctor today.  I explained to her everything I've just told all of you.  I also told her I don't have any other symptoms (no nausea, no weight change, etc.), I haven't recently changed soap or detergent, and I wear cotton underwear.  She took a sample of my discharge and put it under the microscope.  She confirmed I do indeed have a yeast infection (duh!) and she told me a few things:
1. NEVER EVER use Monistat 1.  Too often it doesn't work.  The medicine is too strong so it is irritating to the vagina, yet it doesn't stay in your body long enough to always clear the infection.  She said I should always use the 7 day treatment when using something over the counter.  
2. She thinks I've had some level of the infection in my body since it appeared in March, and that it never truly went away.  She thinks the Monistat 1 only got rid of my symptoms, not the infection.  Part of this could have been my fault for letting it go so long before treating the first time.
3. Although I've gotten symptoms twice after sex she doesn't think my fiance and I passed it back and forth.  Since she believes it's been in my system she also thinks the friction and fluids from sex irritated it enough to produce symptoms again.
4. She wrote me two perscriptions: one for a single diflucan pil, which I took immediately.  Diflucan is an oral anti-fungal and should clear a yeast infection in 3-5 days.  She also wrote one for a 7 day prescription strength suppository to be used nightly.  

I am already feeling better in my head just from understanding what's been going on, and I am confident I'll feel better physically soon.  After 7 days I should be good to go for my honeymoon...and I won't lie, that was the main reason I ran to my doctor without putting it off...Who doesn't want to enjoy their honeymoon  :)

I wish you all the best of luck and hope my story helps someone else.
I'm just like most of the posters here- started to experience YI symptoms, so I went for the "quick/easy" 1-day treatment (generic store brand) last night. The pain & swelling has been nearly unbearable since then. An ice pack is the only thing keeping me from going insane.

My question is- do I need to wait for some of the burning symptoms from the 1-day to subside before starting a 7-day treatment, or should I start it right away?
OMG! I wish I had researched the Monistat 1 BEFORE using it! Please spread the word not to use this stuff! Ladies, we have to get it off the shelves...

I have had YI in the past, but always used a 3 or 5 day treatment prescribed by my doctor. This time, I thought I was a pro and could use the 1-Day... Worst mistake of my life! I used it Wednesday night. The cream did give some relief to the slight itching I had, but, by Thursday morning I was on fire! I thought I was going to pass out, the burning/itching/irritation was so bad.  I assumed this was the medication working, but now, another 36 hours later, I still have burning, itching and some scary looking discharge. The directions say to wait 3 days and if symptoms don't clear up, call your doctor... I hope I can make until they open again on Monday.

I have to constantly use a cool washcloth to soothe myself and then let the area air dry. This had been keeping the burning down, but I can't stay locked up in the house forever.
Hi Everyone,

I am so glad I found this website. I felt like I was the only one dealing with issues from the Monistat-1 treatment. This is my second yeast infection. My first one was over 10 years ago. I am on day 3 since I used the treatment and I have been feeling a burning sensation on the inside of my labia. The area is also red. I used the external cream last night and it burned even more.  I too have noticed the white film down there.  I will give it the full 7 days and if there is no improvement, I will get in touch with my doctor. And of course...I will never use the Monistat-1 treatment again!
I am apparently one of the few who has had a GREAT experience with Monistat 1.  I hadn't had a yeast infection in over 10 years until the past few months, when I've had them off and on every 2-3 weeks.  I've been using home remedies, which work ok, but decided to try Monistat 1 in case that would be more likely to prevent them from coming back.

My symptoms were intense itching and burning, no unusual discharge, and no odor.  I used a Vagisil Screening Kit to test my vagina's pH - it was normal (4.5), so I was reasonably sure that the problem was a yeast infection.  The pH would likely have been higher if it was a different infection, and I definitely didn't want to treat for a yeast infection if it was something else.

I inserted the Monistat 1 Day or Night ovule yesterday afternoon, following directions, as deep as it would comfortably go.  Then I used the external cream.  There was about half an hour of slightly more intense burning (not horrible), but I expected and understood that putting cream on my irritated tissue would hurt a little, even if it would help in the long run.  After a few hours, I didn't feel any burning or itching, except for a little tingle when I used the bathroom, which was probably mostly because I was thinking about it and disturbing it then.

It is now almost 24 hours later and the itching and burning (internal and external) has almost completely stopped.  I could use more of the external cream if I wanted to (I only used it that once), but the lingering itch is so minor that it's really not necessary, and since it will take my scratched-raw tissue a couple days to heal, I don't want to irritate it with chemicals if I don't have to.  I keep expecting the remains of the ovule to come out, but there's been no gloppy goop or unusual discharge (except maybe a little when I wipe) - so I guess it is still deep inside doing its job.  

So far, Monistat 1 is working GREAT for me - exactly as expected and advertised.  If I have any adverse reactions, I will post again.
I also trusted that the Monistat One Day was safe to use - clearly I was wrong.  I've never been in such pain, other than giving childbirth of course.  I'm calling my doctor in the morning, considering trip to ER if it gets worse.  Also, filing complaint with FDA given all the complaints about this product.  The box states you may experience slight burning.  Slight??  Try 'on fire'.  Will never, ever, use this product again.  
I was out of town when my itching and yeast infection came about.   So, I bought the Monistat 1 day treatment and it was way too strong for me.   My itching is gone, but the skin is actually grayish and sloughing off my labia.

I am going back to my natural remedy of PLAIN Dannon yogurt douches and application.  In the past, I have also used a vaginal applicator to insert the plain yogurt full strength into the vagina.   The yogurt treatment works every time and isn't too strong and doesn't burn and kill the delicate lining of the vagina.  It's a 5-7 day process, so give it time.  You can even apply the yogurt to the vulva to give immediate relief of the itching.   However, you must do the internal treatment or it will never go away.

Use only PLAIN Dannon yogurt.   Store brands have gluten in them and this will feed the yeast.  Also, cut down on your sugar consumption and your gluten consumption.   Gluten is in flour and other things, so if you eliminate any kind of flour from your diet, that should be enough.
soo in may i let mii bf finger me .... atfirst it was cool but then he started scratchin me...(accidentally i guess) i didnt want to make things awkward soo mii dumb *** didnt say anthing and let it continue until he finallly stopped(lesson learned) the day after i was experiencing severe itching and burning than the next day a cottage cheese discharge to boot... i dealt with it a few days although i immediately knew what it was.. it was the first time so i hoped it might go away on its own i couldnt take it anymore so i started on the monistat 7 but i couldnt take the even more severe burning itching sensation at night and stopped on the 3rd day prayin mii body would heal itself.. the itching continued so i began using vagisil which really helped, the burning and itching went away after a while and I THOUGHT i was cured especially after mii period but my vaginal discharge didnt return back to normal it continued to be either slippery watery or thick stringy cottage cheeseish on and off it would itch sometimes worse than others... i get goosebumps thinking bout it finally in august i saw my doctor and she prescribed me fluconzate( or w/e it called) the pill treatment and some gel just in case.... i thought the pill would wipe it our mii system once and for all but the cottaage cheese discharge prevails  2 weeks later i don't know whether i should use the metrondiazole vaginal gel ((im scared of the discomfort)) or call mii doctor again.. ?????????? this has gone on way tooo long !!! pls help!!!
Use the gel you were prescribed, and call your doctor asap. Stop torturing yourself. The correct treatment will sometimes take longer than you expect, but if you complete it, it helps to prevent relapses. call your doctor before you stop or change any treatment.
This website made me feel like I wasn't a mutant!

I've had a mutant cold thing for a little over a month now and after 3 weeks, I finally went to my doctor who prescribed me heavy duty antibiotics. A couple of days later, I started noticing the itching and soon after the burning. The weird discharge (almost like wet toilet paper that got stuck there) started the next day and has continued since. First I got those feminine cleansing wipes, thinking that all it was was the discharge that I get before my period which just had a different consistency. Oh how I wish that's all it was. After another day or two of that, I read online that the use of antibiotics can make you more susceptible to yeast infections because of the fact that the antibiotic is changing up your body's little fighters! I had all the symptoms of the YI and I knew it wasn't BV because the discharge was a white/off white color instead of the yellow or green and it didn't have a foul smell (thank goodness!!!) Went to the store and bought the Vagisil screening kit which confirmed that my pH level was where it needed to be. Then I went to the store for some OTC treatment (I had already spent about 300 on one doctor's visit so I didn't want to double that for the month) and looked at the different Monostat's they had to offer. Like many of you ladies on here who wanted instant relief (because we all know the utter hell you experience with a YI), I got the Monostat 1-day or night thinking it was going to be great and I could get back to focusing on just my cold. Oh how wrong I was. I bought the Monostat at about 1:30 in the morning and didn't actually apply it until about 2 along with the cream. I shortly fell asleep but I had another thing coming. 6am rolls around and I shoot up in bed thinking I'm on fire. It was pure agony. That's really the only way I could describe it. It hurt so bad it woke me from my deep slumber and made me want to slowly saw off the lower half of my body... because that would have been more bearable. I immediately jumped in the shower and used my detachable shower head to spray water on my girl. This felt better, but I was still in terrible pain. I got online (like we all do now) and started searching for ladies who spoke of the same problem and I was brought to you! I read through most of the reviews and felt better that I wasn't the only one. Then I felt worse, seeing that most of you had issues months after the fact. One lady even said she got a spoon and scooped it out of her... which is what I did. Let me tell you... almost immediately after I got the semi-disolved tablet out of me, my girl was REJOICING. The burning went away almost immediately, the itching subsided to more of an annoyance rather than life-threatening. The only thing I still have left over is the milky white discharge but I assume that's just from the casing of the Monostat dissolving still. I'll take that 1 out of 3 any day! After I scooped it out, I got my trusty detachable shower head and jetted some warm water into her, just to flush it out and then switched over to as cold as I could get it. I was in heaven. My problems were gone and even the initial symptoms I had from the YI were gone or subsiding. Of course, we'll see how things go later in the day or tomorrow... but I'm okay with this right now. I can actually sleep. I'll be stopping the antibiotics because they have completed their duty and the mutant cold is more like an allergy attack now, so I'm hoping that in the next couple of days, I'll be feeling like a normal woman!

This post is to offer hope to you all that took Monostat 1-day and had the not so fun experience many of these ladies had on here! Your girl knows what's best for her and if she doesn't agree with something, then it's not the right thing. With that said, ladies, I bid you goodnight from my bed, wearing my loose fitting, cotton PJs snuggled up with my kitten in bed. :) Sweet dreams!
I just took day 1 of Monistat 3 and it was AWFUL! I had taken monistat 7 before and it was nothing like this, just the typical discharge of cream as it falls out but no burning or itching. I took this one before bed and the burning and itching started about 5 minutes after insertion and grew steadily to such an intense sensation that I jumped out of bed, into the shower and washed it out/ used my fingers to remove as much of the cream as possible. I also ran a bath and sat there in hot water which made it feel better.

I'm now feeling much better but still a light (but bearable) burning. After reading everyone's posts I'm relived to know that i'm not the only one who has experienced this. And i'm also glad to know that i think I did well by removing the stupid crap. I am absolutely not using day 2 or 3 after what i just experienced.

Question though: I am sitting here debating between using the monistat external vulvar cream, neosporin or nothing on the vulva for the light burning, Any suggestions?

My faith in monistat is pretty shaken so i'm afraid to use the external cream, but am not sure if the neosporin is okay to put in that area.
Okay...so after reading everyone's comments and I did read them all I have this to offer. One, no two women are alike and so we all react differently. Yes some are more sensitve and prone to allergic reactions. It is after all a chemical you're introducing to your body. I've had YI infections before...two actually related to my hormonal changes with the pregnancies of both my daughters. OTC fixed those quite easily. I had another one which was so severe I had to leave work and see a doctor that day. For that he gave me the oral treatment (1 pill = relief). The cause of that infection was from the the father of my daughters. He'd had a cold and had been using cough drops. Cough drops contain sugar...without getting into too much detail we were doing something of an intimidate nature and the sugar from his mouth got on my...well..yeah. Worst thing ever.

Well it's been several years but I am now going through one again as we speak. Burning, itching but no discharge. This time I have a new partner but I've also changed BCP as well so it's anyone's guess what happened. Like all of you I wanted immediate relief and saw the 1 day ovule treatment and thought it was perfect. I read the insert and still felt like it would be worth it even with a very side effects. I used it last night around 9pm just before I went to bed. No uncomfortable reaction but previous to using the treatment I had showered and like all of you I found post-shower to be when I felt the most relief. I went to bed and slept quite comfortably. This morning the melted ovule capsule came out when I went to the washroom and the cream from inside has been slowly leaking all day. I'm using a panty liner and changing them frequently to keep things nice and clean. Peeing hurts a little but I suspect that's more from my skin being so red and inflammed. I did experience the "icy/hot" sensation but didn't find it to be uncomfortable or painful. Unpleasant yes but I seemed to be able to handle it. Around 10 hours after beginning the treatment I started to notice a decrease in the itching and the "icy/hot" sensation. The pamphlet with the box does say it could take up to 1 to 3 days to feel the full effects. I didn't relish the idea of trying to dig it out of my body so I waited it out. I am now at the 15 hr mark since inserting the ovule. I'm definitely WAY more comfortable than I was when I was trying to battle the stupid infection in the first place. It doesn't appear that I'm having any severe reaction like some of the poor women here did. Some thing I did which helped while I used the 1 day treatment:

1. used clean panty liners and changed them almost hourly.

2. used mild soap for showering and patted myself dry. Don't rub the towel...all it does is irritate the skin further and spread the infection around to the surrounding skin. Might feel good to scratch but DON'T because it just makes it that much more unbearable.

3. with anything your body is not used to using a treatment such as that...give it time to adjust and don't panic. Listen to what your body is telling you. If you have a fever then yes be concerned. A fever is our body's way of telling us something is wrong.

4. While treating...wear cotton panties with a clean dry panty liner. Remember how your mom always said it heals faster if the air can reach it...while the same is true for yeast infections. Warm damp places are a breeding ground for yeast.

5. Always have your partner wash their hands and never allow them to introduce sugar into your body with their mouth...think if they've been chewing gum, eating a candy and so on.

6. Yogurt is very helpful both for eating and for a topical use. It's messy yes but it gives some relief. As does a cool ice pack.

7. If you have any doubt whatsoever see your doctor. That's what they are for...to answer questions and provide treatment.

Best of luck to all. Remember to listen to your body and what it's telling you. Sometimes its overwhelming the information out there and all we do is scare ourselves more.

Bottom line...a YI is never fun and rarely is the treatment.

i found out that i had a yeast infection and me and my boyfriend tried the monastat 3 but i dont know if i should try the monostat 7 again before i go to the doctor should i try it one more time or will it make it worse?
So i'm sitting here at my computer doing research after i used it. why? because i feel like everything is on fire down there. i've never been in more pain. I didnt think i would have time for the 7 day and decided that a 1 day would work fine, if not i have an apt with my dr. in 2 weeks and it would be fine. never did i expect to have such a bad reaction. Its like completely on fire and itches after it gets to intense. How long do i wait before i can got to the monistat 7 day?
get in the shower! best advice. i tried a wash cloth and it made it worse but the burning went away as soon as i got in the shower. its not really better now that i'm out but that half hour of relief is a god send
2 weeks ago (Tuesday 9/21/10) i woke up w/ mild, yet tell tale signs of a UTI. Frequent need to pee, slight burning when i peed, discomfort in my abdomen etc.  I was able to get an appt w/ to see a doctor later that day.    He noticed that I had had a UTI about a year earlier so he put me on the antibiotic cipro for 7 days (2 pills per day). My UTI symptoms went away after several days. After researching the drug on the internet, i felt that there was a high chance that i would get a YI after so many days on antibiotics.  sure enough, after a saturday evening roll in the hay w/ my bf i felt some discomfort afterwars. i woke up sunday (10/3/10) with the symptoms of a YI (whitish discharge, odorless, and the pain after sex the night before. no pain while urinating).  Wanting to get this cleared up right away, i went to CVS and got the monistat 1- day/night.  I feel almost 100% positive that what i am experiencing is a YI and therefore i self treated myself correctly.  I have also been experiencing the hot/icy burning sensation in my vag as well as redness and irritation.  Not as extreme as some of the other ladies have reported but definitely there nontheless.  

Now i'm afraid to have sex and  afraid that I have messed up my internal chemistry. Since my symptoms aren't severe, should i wait it out? I feel like if i go to the doctor they won't know to recommend at this point either. i just want my vagina to be it's old self again!! :)

I would definitely NOT recommend monistat-1 day.  Thinking back, I should have used my common sense that a 1 day treatment would be way too strong and should have gone w/ the 3 or 7 day.
i had the same burning, started treatment at 9 pm. by  10 i was in some discomfort, but by 12, i thought my crotch was on fire. i managed to wipe the product away and take a bath. called Telehealth and they said what i did was what was good, and to take an allergy pill.. DO NOT douche.. it might take the product up to your uteris..
this morning i callled the monistat number and they said they would refund my $...
so i reccomend,,,, do not use this product
Monistat is so wrong!!! That product should be banned
Someone help I have a yi wich. Doesn't burn or smell or itch and ii know I have a yi cause the doctor said she gave me 3day mentazole and I used it and it didn't clear up and I used 3day monistat and that didn't work I don't have an std I always get yi but know this one does not go away and I haven't had sex in 8mths I do have the Iud can that be causing the discharge by the way it white discharge with no smell someone plz help the discharge makes me feel dirty
I'm currently 20 but last year as a 19yo, due to getting quite ill, I developed a yeast in infection not only downstairs but also on my tongue which I was very self conscious about whenever opening my mouth to talk or eat :/  So after dealing with it for over a week not knowing what it was (first time) I just put up with the itching until I told my mum who never had a YI herself but knew what it was. So we went to the chemist and I got a single tablet from the Canesten brand that you take orally and also something to treat the infection on my tongue (a yellow liquid that tasted like cherry that came with a siring to put on the tongue) anyway, within two or three days the infection was gone. No painful itching or burning to deal with.

But as a 20yo I got a YI again also from being really ill, only a milky discharge and itching, no burning sensation. So I went to the docs (while on exchange in a place where english isn't the main language and you have to get prescriptions for pretty much everything you you would normally get over the counter)  and because I knew the Canesten brand worked so well last time I asked for that from the doc, she prescribed for me the Canesten GYN Once Kombi, which isn't what I used last time but didn't mind because it was still only one treatment. The pack includes the tablet for downstairs and the cream to sooth the itching.
So last night I put the tablet in with the applicator, and used the cream that worked like a charm then went to bed. Again no burning or itching or any other irritating side affects. But nearly 20hrs after putting in the tablet I'm getting residue from the tablet coming out. I came across this site trying to find out if that was normal for it to start coming out this soon or if it should take longer. But after reading almost all of the posts and a lot of negative results about Monistat (which I've never heard of and thankfully from the general opinion here) I was wondering why people haven't tried Canesten? I think I saw only one previous post about Canesten, but is it because like me with Monistat, you've never heard of it or the docs don't recommend it, or they just don't sell it where you are?
Obviously I'd like an answer about the tablet disolving too lol
But yeah, this has made me very curious and I can't imagine the discomfort and frustration that you have had to put up with :( but I really do recommend Canesten, well the one I took as a 19 yo, I'll post again the results of this one that I just did :)
best of luck to everyone!
I don't believe that particular brand is sold where I am (New York). I've never heard of Canesten or seen it in a store, but it is actually just clotrimazole and we have other brands of the same medicine. As for the residue from the pill coming out, that is normal. You don't really want that in your body anyway...
THANK GOD I AM NOT ALONE! I had some mild itching after sex, and bought one of those vaginal PH testers. It said I probably had a YI (which I've had before) so I bought a one day treatment. By the next morning, my vagina was on fire and I could barely sit through the day at work.

I finally got an appointment at my doctor and she said it's really common to have a reaction to Monistat one day. She tried to flush some of it out and gave me a Diflucan and it's now 3 days after I took the Monistat and I'm still itchy and seeing some thick discharge. The constant burning is gone, but the itch won't go away! Please tell me it gets better!
I felt compelled to write on this post. I have had only a few yeast infections in my life, and I've used Monistat 1 each time. There have been minor side effects for me--like the itching and burning--but they've all been bearable, I suppose I've been lucky. I feel so terrible for everyone who's suffered. :(

But more importantly, for the women who have sex and then get the yeast infection, MEN GET YEAST INFECTIONS TOO. They have fewer symptoms, and often may ignore them. However, your boyfriend may be REINFECTING you, so get him to go to the doctor and get his junk checked out to make sure that you're not clearing up the infection and then getting it again.

I'm usually all about holistic cures, but ask your doctor first about any you've heard about here. Don't insert anything into your vagina that your doctor doesn't personally recommend, you could end up doing some serious permanent damage. Eek!
I'm so frustrated!  I had reoccurring UTI's and was on antibiotics.  Then I felt a burning/itching sensation down there.  I bought a vagistat vaginal test strip to see if I had normal vaginal ph or if not, if it was something more serious like vaginitis (bacterial infection).  My ph was normal down there, so I'm assuming it's a yeast infection.  I don't have discharge though.  I took vagistat 1 and it did burn more at first but is feeling about the same now, at day 2.  I hope this goes away, but I can't believe that it takes so long for us women to get rid of these things!  I don't want to go back to the doctors either, I've been there so many times in the last month!  WHY is it so hard for doctors to diagnose and effectively treat women problems? If men had these problems, they'd already have a quick cure by now.....P.S-this has also ruined my sex life....
When I was 19 y/o I got Yeast Infection.. I just I had sex with my ex boyfriend who worked in military. After that It started with frequent urination and mild itching.. I thought it was normal cause I'm used using tissue or wipes.. but after a week its getting worst .. so what I did .. I try to look whats inside .. I grab the mirror and to my surprise.. I saw a white (look like a cheese) in my vagina.. I was so desperate so I wipe it out using a wet cotton.. its extremely itchy and its painful whenever I wipe it out. But I dont go see my ob .. I just read some forum ,site like this and found out that monistat 3 can help .. thanks God after using monistat3 vaginal suppository .. I have now peace of mind
I used a generic brand of Monistat 1 and experienced the WORST burning of my life and woke up in the middle of the night with the most intense itching.  I have had yeast infections in the past and have always used three days or 7 days, but decided to use the 1 day because I was leaving for a snowboarding trip the next day.  Rarely do I not live by my "haste makes waste" motto.  I endured the pain for a day and a half of christmas shopping, and holiday parties with my "no pain no gain attitude" thinking the medicine was doing its job. My vagina burned so badly, I didn't know whether to laugh or cry- If it weren't for this site, I would have lost it.  Reading someone's post advice I went to the store and got a mild vinegar and water douche.   I have never douched before, but was at the point where I had to get it out any way possible.  The second I started the douche, all of the medicine came out and I immediately felt better.  Later that evening I started the 7 day treatment and am currently on day 4 and feeling a lot better.  I still have itching off and on but none of the intense burning as before.  

Ladies, please, please, please take this medicine out, if you can even call it "medicine".  I can only imagine what I did to my vagina during those two days.  Never again will I use a 1 day treatment.  The level of medicine is extremely high and too concentrated.  

Thank you to the posts before, like I said, I would have been at a loss to what was going on.
It is so reassuring to hear all this! I had a bad sinus infection so they gave me amoxicillan to treat it. Low and behold I start to feel a yeast infection coming on bc they always occur after I take that antibiotic. I wanted to get it over with and took monistat 1 day and had to call into my doctor bc I was in so much pain. After taking that med I have found my clitoris and opening to my vagina especially (even though the lips hurt too) that I am in constant pain. I can't even go to the bathroom without it hurting me! Has anyone experienced that? The dr said there was definitely bacteria but couldn't find any yeast, but unfortunately I'm on my period which doesn't make it easy to see. I'm praying to God I don't have an std or something worse. Does anyone else experience this awful sharp pain on their clitoris or anything along those lines?
I'm relieved to hear I'm not the only one who has had horrible results from dealing with the 1-day Monistat. Sadly, it used to work, but I've noticed problems as mentioned in posts in the last couple of times I've used it.

I was wondering about the 7-day ones though, or just the ones that you use 'every day' ... are there set times to use them? The reason I wonder is that I work odd shifts ... it is not possible for me to use them at the same time each day, and there would be one day I would prolly skip it because I don't sleep more than a couple of hours.
hey. i have a question. does anyone know what it means when i have these bumps that appear on my vagina. they appear every few weeks. i usually try to pop them but when i do they pus and bleed. im scared to death can anyone possibly tell me whats going on and what it means.
IM ABOUT TO CRY!!!

I will NEVER EVER EVER use that 1day Monistat again and wouldnt recommend it to anyone ever.. This has got to be the worse feeling ever..1st nght i had alot alot alot of pain burning and it hurted when I went to the restroom I was up all night. I did take an bath and felt better. Today marks the 2nd day, its not burning or itchin I can just feel an hot lil sensation down there from time to time. Also it seems as if the medicine is still coming out because I have alot of the white stuff coming out. Its horrible I have never experienced anythin like this is my life.!!!
I am so sad for all of you suffering women. I know the pain. I did the monistat 1 thinking that it would be the end of my problems but i was completely wrong. about an hour after inserting it I got a horrific burning and itching sensation. I looked online to see if this was normal only to find this blog. I'm glad I did because three comments later I was in the bathroom pushing his stuff out even removing the excess with my fingers. So glad i took it out before things got worse. I rinsed out the area with cold water and am feeling a lot better, not completely comfortable but a whole lot better. Best of luck to all of you and I'm glad this was here to help me. Stay strong ladies, it's not easy being a woman. Oh yeah and monistat is going to hear it from me. They should have warnings about this on the box.
i get yeat infection sometime but i eat alot of yougrt it keeps things balanced but monistat is bad it burn me bad.  i use a genric one day it works well but every yeasr infection is differnt i have one nw im in hell i find i get them after i take antibiotics but yougrt helps you wont get them as offten this is my first yeast infection in 3 years i was meds i had a absecess tooth. now i miserable.  try hibacleans its soap it keeps things clean,and hexol baths use only a capful it sound crazy but it works im nt itchey bt swollen an red but the bath have been real sooothing.
Well I used the 7 day, finished it around a week ago and am still red and burning from it, the doctor at the hospital said it will do that for around two weeks after you are done, But it doesnt seem to be getting better at all, I took pajama bottoms and cut a big area out of the crotch, and wear them in the day after work and to bed that way my crotch stays cool and my legs stay warm, organinc yogurt feels good and helps alot, but I wouldnt be slathering a whole bunch of stuff on it, just let it heal on its own,,
BEWARE ALL OF MONISTAT 1.  My experience was like most everyone's here with Monistat 1 (I wanted the quickest fix, so I laid my $24 on the counter).  Deceived by the first two or three days of gradual comfort, I was shocked last night when I experienced the itch of a "mad man" and the burning sensation that everyone else talks of.  After getting out of bed several times to apply the external cream provided by Monistat with my original purchase and experiencing only a burning sensation and more itching, I looked to this blog for help.  I then went to CVS and purchased the 7 day treatment cream (by Monistat).  I found relief with that and some Vagisal wipes for the outer itch (not sure how much the wipes actually did for me).  I was finally able to go to sleep.  This morning, my vagina feels warm, similar to a burn, yet numb; I'm not itchy, however, and for that I'm grateful.  I will do my best to provide more updates as the seven days of treatment pass.
Okay, I have been meaning to come on here and write about this for the past month. Ladies, If you are researching the horrible side effects to the Monistat Ovule...then my guess is you are already experiencing them! This is what happened to me...used the one day ovule for what was the start of a mild yeast infection (on a sunday). 2 days later I was in so much discomfort I went to urgent care(tuesday). They prescribed me difflicun because they thought the cream probably wasnt working. By the following Sunday, I was in SOOO much pain, my whoha was burning and throbbing like crazy. Went back to urgent care and the Dr. told me I was having an allergic reaction. He wanted to give me an exam, but was so rude, I opted to go to my regular Gyno the next day. The following day...yes, still in horrific pain, my Dr. squeezed me in for an appointment. In tears at this point, she did an exam. She had to (sorry for the discription) fully clean out my insides with tons of huge cotton swabs. She said that she has had SO many patients come in with side effects from this damn ovule! In her opinion, she thinks maybe there is an ingredient in the actual ovule casing that women are allergic to. Went home and felt better for a few days...but still extremely uncomfortable. At this point I was living on IBProfin and benadryl. By Friday, now being at the point where I wanted a vagina transplant!!! I once again had to return to my gyno. She again had to do a complete cavity clean out (yes, I know Gross) She could not believe how much of that stuff was still stuck up in there. She even put it under the microscope, and guess what? No yeast, but a weird greasy film that she said looked bizarre. 2 days after that I felt a 100 times better. I also started taking Re-phresh probiotic supplements. I am now back to my normal self...but seriously ladies, at one point I thought this would never end! PLEASE do yourselves a favor, if this is happening to you...go to the Dr. now and make them get this poison out of you! I can't imagine what would have happened if I had not gone to the Dr. 4 times!!! Crazy! This company needs a class action lawsuit filed against them. Thank god I have insurance, but it still cost me and worst of all I was an emotional reck!!! Good luck to all of you...it will get better. My entire ordeal lasted about 2 1/2-3 weeks:(
I had to take antibiotics because I had tonsillitis back in March, and shortly thereafter got a yeast infection (surprise!). I took the Monistat 1 because I wanted to finally get back to a normal sex life, but I had the same nasty side effects all of you did! I ended up taking a one time dose of Diflucan, and it went away. Two months later, it came back. Just as I was treating it, I had to go on a very heavy round of antibiotics (2000mg of Kefflex (sp?) a day). So of course, it didn't leave. I am now still battling it, and have taken countless Diflucan pills. My doctor just told me to continue those for the next week (one every other day) and start a 7-day Monistat. I hope this helps! Has anyone ever had this experience? I am going crazy and I'm sure my boyfriend is too as we have to keep using condoms (which irritate the both of us) and when I have the YI don't have sex at all. I just sit and cry about this problem because I feel so helpless.
I am my own worst enemy. I have an allergy to one of my favouite sweet snack foods but that has not stopped me from eating it. Unfotunately, I went on a bender for this particular food item the other day and ended up with vaginal irritation and all the classic signs and symptoms of a yeast infection-which has previously been cause by my stubborn refusal to stop eating what I'm allergic to. I went to the phamacy and bought  Monistat 3. The first night I used it it burned like the dickens! I literally had to take a fan and turn it onto my hoohoo to get some measure of relief and it was quite red and swollen.By the next morning the burning had settled and the yeast infection symptoms had reduced so I thought I would complete the 2nd day of treatment. Bad, bad, bad idea. It was like I put a flame directly to my vagina. It was so tender that I had to squeeze it out and then try to wash the rest of it out and then whip out my fan and put it on blast aimed directly at my vagina for good measure. I've been using benadryl and ibuprofen to help with the pain and swelling as well as the uderlying allergy that stated this whole mess. I would not reccoment monistat 3 to anyone so I'd run screaming in the other direction when faced with monistat 1. I have to say burning is not an indication of effectiveness. It is an indication of damage. I'm going to try Canesten in a few days when I heal up.
I've never had a yi in my life and I got one at the end of a three week antibiotic treatment for an ear infection. I use monistat 1 with the ovule but didn't know I was supposed to lay down afterwards. The next day I felt like something was stuck in there so I pit my finger up there(after washing my hands) and I could hardly find my hole.!!!! I freaked!!!I thought I had warts or something crazy going on down there. I had a friend of mine that has been a nurse for years look at it since it was late at night and she said there wasn't anything that she could see that wad abnormal. She thinks maybe I had an allergic reaction to the M1.its been two days since I used the insert and I can find my hole again but it still feels slightly swollen and there are a few sensitive spots on my inner labia. I'm wondering if the M1 was just too strong. I wasn't really discharging before I did the treatment but now I have white discharge. Don't know if its the med.or just me. Should I maybe try a 7 day treatment? If so how long should I wait to start another treatment. I don't have insurance at the moment and I don't know of any free clinics in my area. Any advice?
I am very scared. I'm only 16 and I think I have yeast infection. I am even scared to tell my parents :"( please help me
I used the three day treatment I'm on the third day with no relief yet I'm itching and burning bad I want to take a back scratched to my lady parts lol its inside . Is it normal to have symptoms still after three days of treating this ugh.... I can't even sleep just want to itch...
I just tried the monistat 3 day cream about 3 hours ago and I am in more pain than I was before I tried it.  Brought tears!  I can't sleep, concentrate and just called the nurse at my local hospital.  She told me to take a bath or try to go to the bathroom...Duh, I've already tried that and icing it.  No relief.  Now I'm scared to try it again.  Wondering if I should go to a doctor now and get on something different???  Also trying to figure out how to calm this burning and itching so I can go to work in the morning.
had sex on Sunday, also started with anti-biotics (amox) on Sunday--- then got what I thought was a yeast infection on monday-mild discomfort and itching...plus a little spotting.  Continued through thursday--went and bought store brand of monistat 1 day--used it immediately after I got home. . . within 30 minutes was in intense pain as others....felt like I was on FIRE down there!!!!  UGH--I can't imagine it's supposed to feel that bad!!  Anyway--the ovule came out within an hour of inserting (thank goodness!), but still felt a lot of burning inside.  Now, 6 hours later, still feel a little discomfort - - am very swollen down there.  Just took benedryl--ate a cup of yogurt, since I've read that it helps.  Will NEVER use the 1-day product again--it scares me a little.  I think I'm going to just try to eat yogurt regularly --hoping that tomorrow is a better day.
I wish I would have read all this forums and pages before I went out and bought Monistat 1. What a terrible experience!.
I had gotten my first yeast infection and thought the 1 medicine day would be a simple quick fix, boy was I wrong. Not only did I experience the worse burning, itching pain (so bad I almost went to emergency) but almost two weeks later Im still having mild symptoms and praying my doctor can give me something that will take care of this quick!
This is to sensitive of an area to be in sooooo much pain.
I too am experiencing the same horrible itching/burning after using Monistat1. Man, I'd rather just have the yeast infection, it's so bad!

What I want to know is...after you ladies got the ovule out, or got the medicine out of your vagina, how soon did your pain go away, and did your yeast infection still clear up? I want to know, basically, does it still WORK??
I used Monistat 1 and did not have any issues.

I bought it on a Saturday and wasn't able to call my dr. but I called them today (Monday) and they said they do not recommend M1 ever because it normally doesn't work, but for me it did. Usually they recommend the 3-7 day ones because it works for most people.
I noticed burning on Thurs, then yeast-like symptoms Fri, bought M1 Sat and used it at night. Sunday I felt better and It is now Monday and it seems just about gone. It was raw Sat-Sunday and sensitive but I will give it a few more days to heal.

I read this thread Saturday and starting freaking out thinking I was going to have the same reactions as most posted here but I did not.

Technically, there are 160 comments since 2006 so there probably isn't a large majority of people having an issue with M1. Maybe these are just the people who are allergic.
Hi I need some suggestions or help i had always had vaginal infection and 2 months ago i went to my gyn and he prescribe me 2 pills for the yeast infection after 2 monthe i have it again i was test for std, i had my papsmear and even hiv test everything was negative but i keep on getting the infections im already frustrated and i dont know what to do i just bought monistat 7 days treatment hopefully it works but everytime i use something for the infection it go away but comes back in 1 month or 2. can someone help me please
Ive had a yeast infection diagnosed because I tried the monistat 3 day and symptoms got worse.  

so i took the pills from the doctors office and now finally feeling better after 4 days of this mess.  

Another thing to add to who ever has this problem.  If you have an irritated , red spot that hurts to touch etc.  Go buy an aquaphor.  Its a type of jelly for the external parts.  supposed to act like a barrier persay  to help with wiping and not hurt so much .  

Stay away from any fragrances, bubble bath, soaps,  the Eve products.  Just use water to clean yourself.  I have found to use a lubricant or water to moisten the dry parts.  hope this helps :)  
Always use a condom if you are unsure.  
I too am having the same issue as everyone else on this website.  I have used Monistat 1 day (cream) treatment before and never had any issues.  But I used the ovule for the first time this week......HUGE mistake.  I also used the "anti-itch" cream that came with it with no results.  In fact, the cream made it worse..... It burns rather than helps.  I also feel like the ovule is not working at all.  I'm still seeing a thick discharge.  This has never happened with the cream treatment.

Since I've never used the ovule before, I'd like to know how long would I need to wait to finally start seeing results?  Also, how long is the ovule supposed to "stay up there" before the medication takes its course?
Im actually experiencing the same thing right now. One thing that has helped me extremely is aloe vera. Not aloe vera cream but an actual aloe plant. I have one in my back yard and I cut off one of the leaves of the plant and cut into it and the applied the extract right onto the itchy areas and it helped instantly. I got the plant a while ago from Home Depot and it really is a life savor. It works on everything. Good luck.
Very important itching skin darkening are skin fungus that may not even had started with sex. People forget we have live micro bugs  that live on our skin and can grow large creating fungus dark spots,shapes lines on the skin. Let's be honest with ourselves and trully consider how much time is spent cleaning? Ex) some people don't shower everyday, others don't wash their hhands before using the bathroom. Now if your having itching burning infections fungus down their its better to be cleaned also by washing your hands before wiping down under you prevent less bacteria germs what not important to wash before and after and FYI to those who use antibacterial for washing do some research not a very good method remember although it may kill bacteria it does not mean the dead bacteria disappear it just doesn't do the job right at all it does not take much effort to wash your hands to rid yourself or minimize yourself from creating and feeding the creatures living on our skin. Hope this helped it helped me to be more aware of where and how much my hands and skin get exposed to. It's already impossible to rid most so clean up.
I have had most of these symptoms that are listed on this forum.I will tell you from my experience eating one yogurt a day is very helpful in helping yeast infections and prevention. The yogurt must contain live cultures to be of help. I have also tried Monistat with alot of the same burning that worsened after using it!! I finally tried Canesten in which, did cause burning to worsen at first..Aswell,burning while urinating. I tried Benadryl, as a pharmacist recommeneded for possible allergy. After all this, unlike Monistat Canesten finally gave me relief!! I hope this helps some of you. Its amazing how something such as a yeast infection can make you almost go crazy! It can make life a living hell!!
Ive been in the same situation and I suggest that you stay away from the monistat 1 day treatment. After I used  it my symptoms seemed to get worse. Overall all a yeast infection is a horrible experience, I would suggest using the monistat that last for a week, it immediately helps with some of the itching and by the end of the week, the white-clear flim should clear up and go back to normal. And the actual yeast should be gone before the week is over. I tried the medicine from the doctor, I felt better for a day then, it got worse. But I would definitely suggest the seven day treatment
I have been googling for two days and now after finding these posts I feel I can sleep sound tonight.  I wish I had found this early today before I bought the monostat 1 though.  After using it I thought for sure something was terribly wrong down there.  I'm so relieved to know that other people had the same thing happen.  I have just recently started having sex with a new bf and I thought I had an allergic reaction to the condomn.  Now I see that it was a yeast infection irritated.  It was awful everything completely swollen I have never experienced anything like it.  I have never had a YI either at 26 so reading that other women experienced YIs from certain partners is relieving and freaks me out at the same time.  Thank you ladies!  Good luck to all of us I can't wait for this to be over.
Oh how I wish i had read these posts before my purchase. I've been suffering from a YI for a few days, and in all of my 17 year old glory and impatience, decided that a 1day treatment would best suit me (so I could resume sex with my boyfriend for Valentine's day (tomorrow) of course)

I've purchased a generic 3day before and had no debilitating effect from it. Just a mild burning that was much less agony, and much more stinging.

Today however, i used the Monistat 1 and I am sitting on my couch at 12:30 AM wishing I would have made better decisions. My vaginal area is on FIRE. I am wiping blood frequently, and my vulva has swelled to 3 times it's original size. my skin is literally sloughing off me when I wipe, and the raw skin beneath it burns and bleeds.

The formula is much too strong, and the "itch and burn relieving cream" does no such thing, only further antagonizes the problem to be honest.

I'm HORRIFIED that this product is still for sale, and that these posts date back 2 years of women suffering from utilizing it. Monistat needs to recall their day1 formula as soon as possible, or at least make the possible side effects VERY clear. It isn't fair to women out there who are just trying to get back in the sack as fast as possible.

So sorry for all of your woes girls, and hopefully mine are reduced in a few days.....UGH.
Bellavita I am 10 years older than you and even worse than buying the one day, I had sex 24 hours later and burned the heck out of myself and my boyfriend on his birthday none-the-less! So I started getting the cream out with my finger in the shower that night and still had intense YI symptoms (now that I've read this had to be from the monistat because they were much worse than what I was feeling originally). I've been up all night because I waited a few days and had sex again just to find that it still burns with intercourse. The box says do not have intercourse while using this product. It needs to state how long that is! I thought 24 hours would be long enough but after reading this I just feel like a moron. I am thankful I got a really good amount of it out I can't imagine what condition I'd be in had I left it in there. I'm just hoping I don't have re-ocurring problems like the ladies above. Does anyone know if sex is not recommended for any reason other than passing the infection? I'm worried this medication can harm my uterus if intercourse pushed it past my cervix...
Hi everyone,
I don't recommend monistat (as someone who has struggle with recurrent yeast infections) I have found apple cider vinegar (the organic kind is best if you can afford it, but if not, at least make sure it's apple cider and not any other kind) mix it in a cup with half water and splash on you. It gives huge relief. I also insert a clove a garlic a day (for at least 3 days) what you do is "score" the clove with a knife, in a few places, so that the oil can come out. Leave it in for the day. Take it out before bed and do the suppositories called "Yeast Arrest" by Vitanica. You can get them at health food stores. These should be inserted nightly for 7 nights. You can do diflucan on top of these remedies. If you want something along with diflucan, I recommend these remedies INSTEAD of monistat.
Wow i just bought Monistat 1 and was getting ready to insert the ovule when i thought, "can i still use the rest room with this."I decided to look online when i foind this blog. Thank you ladies for posting and saving me from a huge mistake. Good luck with the law suit. Lots of love
I find the length of this post phenomenal. When the beginning of this post started was about the time I started having problems. Horrible uncontrollable itching, and most recently horrible burning. So for about six years I have been dealing with this. When it first started happening, I did not go and see anyone about it because I was too embarrassed. This past year I finally went to my Dr and they said it was dermatitis. That is the only answer I really got, and I found out I was positive for Herpes 1 (for those of you who do not know, 99% of people have Herpes 1. That would be the type where you can get cold sores in and around your mouth.) I just tried Monistat 1, and I am not noticing any relief from it. The creams do nothing but irritate me along with any type of wipe. My Dr. still has no idea what is going on, which really *****. Now, since I read most of these posts, eating Yogurt is good to do when you are taking antibiotics to help prevent a yeast infection because taking those types of drugs can attribute to yeast infection. I tried using milder soap/aveeno, and it did not help me. Nothing really helps but to ignore it as much as possible. I know you will not want to hear what I say next, Cut your fingernails and keep them trimmed. You will scratch while you are sleeping without knowing it. All day you fight that urge, and yet, you wind up scratching in your sleep. When you scratch, you are providing extra places for the bacteria to go and stay, and as your skin heals, that bacteria can stay in your skin. If you are at home and itching really badly, go hop in the shower or bath. If you have a separate shower head that detaches, use that right on the area. It at least helps while you are in the shower, and make sure to wipe all moisture off. Moisture, sweat, any tight underwear or clothing create problems and make them worse. I hope some of these tips help ease your symptoms. I wish I could give you the cure all, but I can't. Mine is not cured, and this is 6 or more years later after I started getting this crap. I am at the point where my sex life is virtually dead. On occasion, I suck it up and have sex, but I pay for it in the end. Good luck guys, I hope you all feel better.
Everytime I get an infection I never burn rarely itch and I took monistat 1 and it seemingly cured my infection I use ivory soap or baby magic on my vaginal area i often get infections due to my birth control& weak immune system you just have to see what your body can handle & everyone doesnt eat yogurt I heard you can insert yogurt or a small peice of garlic I'm not sure how true this is
True... The two of you are passing it back and forth..My Dr gave my Hubby the same pill he gave me. Havnt had any problems in 4 yrs
Ok I am really scared   I used monistant 1 for the first time ever! And it has been the most terrifying experience of my life. I use it about 2 days ago because I thought I had a yeast infection. I'm getting married and thought to myself I don't want to be having a yeast infection when I'm about to go on my honeymoon. We have not had sex so my fiancé has no idea this is happening to me. And it's quiet embarrassing. Ok so I used it during the night and woke up with a HORRIBLE burning down there I could not even sleep. I was so scared I was shaking. I read that it burned but I didn't expect it to be that bad. Well I thought it was doing its thing so I left it inside me. When I went to use the bathroom I saw that the cream had fallen off. Which to me was a good thing because I did not wan that to be inside of me after that horrible burning. After the next 2 days I started bleeding. It's been the 2rd day and I'm still heavy bleeding. Even worse then when I'm on my period. I'm really scared and I dont know what to do. And I'm almost getting married :( has anyone else passed through this and what happened??? Did it get better or worse. Should I really be worried???? Because I am!
I have had a reouccuring yeast and or bacterial infections since 2009. So for about three years i have had problems. I hate using over the counter items such as monostat. I have noticed that birth contorl pills, and the nuvia ring throw me off balance. The only thing that really work for me is having a completely healthy diet with yogurt every single day. Latley i have not been eating correctly and had a really bad yeast infection. I am tired of always going to the doctor. I research for naural remidies and there is lots of pills and herbal suppliments that have live cultures in them at GNC. Also garlic really helps with fighting bad bacteria as well. I do think that when i get the prosciptions from the doctor it does help and is the best thing for me. I really dont understamd but every time i change anything down there the yeast infections comes back. Anything to do with condoms, lube, birthcontrol pills, douche, diet, and anything else could upset me. Also it starts to really affect me phyiscally, I get very light headed, dizy, and tired when my yeast infections are bad. So far i have had a bad yeast infection for a week now and took the one day monostat three days ago. My sysmtoms seemed to have gone away the very next day and today my discharge seems to have stopped as well. For the next week and a half i plan to east lots of yogurt, keep the area clean only using special washes, and making sure that my clothes are loose fitting and that area can breathe well, only wear white cotton under ware also. No thongs! I figure if i really dont want to deal with this i will have to keep fighting the yeast until its all gone. Maybe then i can be worry free and less embarassed.
I used the 1 day treatment too and the next day my period started.  I'm 52 years old and haven't had a period for approx 1 year.  I noticed that the string from my tampon was irritating me, so I just went to wearing a pad for a few days.  Then I became aware of this burning pain so bad that I too was taking a mirror & flashlight to examine the area.  I noticed that everything looked swollen and there were a few areas that even bled a little.  I researched the internet and thought I had a bartholin cyst.  I haven't had sex for a couple of years, so didn't think it could be anything from that.  Finally, I got in to see my doctor and she noticed some sores that made her think that it could be Herpes.  I've never had Herpes before and this started right after using this product.  I'm waiting for the lab results and taking medicine for Herpes, it's been 14 days of pain, especially while sitting.  I can't believe Monistat 1 is still on the market!!!  I think this product has given me blisters basically like a chemical burn. These posts go back 6 years of women suffering!!!!!  I had not seen these comments before going to the doctor and I didn't tell her that I had used this product, I will tell her now.
I had an yeast infection before I even tried sticking galic up there nothing worked, so I went to my OBGYN and was given FLUCONAZOLE TABLET 150mg only 1 is needed and that solved the problem completely in the first day I saw change totally recommend this pill
the exact same thing happened to me! i believe today is day 3 and after using monistat 1 and going to bed i woke up and my itching was gone but EXACTLY what you said, theres this hott burning sensation and it sometimes still hurts when i urinate, i got nervous because it didn't make sense to me why i was still feeling like this, i don't want to go to the doctor, i dont have the money right now or the time. do you think if I went out and bought monistat 7 or 3 it would fix everything?
I took a 1 day treatment and its been 3 days and that was no help..can I go ahead and do the 7 day treatment?? Or should I wait longer
Also had a problem with Monistat 1.  They need to be sued.  That stuff is terrible.  I had a regular old text book yeast infection.  Now I have this occasional strange odor that smells like medicine.  I don't think its BV because it doesn't smell like body odor.  It actually smells like the Monistat cream.  I'm thinking about doing a warm water douche and just eating yogurt and acidophilus pills to balance everything out.  That Monistat 1 is horrible! It's total overkill!   I just needed a cure for a simple yeast infection.  I didn't want to nuke my vagina.  Has anyone noticed a similar medicine like odor?  It's been 2 weeks since i took it.  I think the medicine might still be up there.  I hope to not make anything worst by douching.  The only symptom is the white discharge.  Is it possible that that could be leftover cream after 2 weeks??
Sorry to all the ladies on here! :( Just came back to post that there is hope. Like many of the commenters I tried the "quick fix" of monistat 1 (the ovule pill looking thing) and it led to 2 months of misery!! I had to go to urgent care 5 times, pay co-pays get taken through the ringer by drs insinuating I probably had an STD... tests kept coming back with yeast. It got so bad I got a rash on my back side :( I went to see an urgent care Dr. again.. this time I crossed paths with a kind soul! A young, new Dr who refused to tell me "just live with it" like I'd been hearing or .. its all in your head (I mean, how can rashes be in your head?) He gave me 3 weeks worth of diflucan, a clotrimazole cream with anti-itching powder mixed in (kinda pricey even with insurance like $30) AND the 7 day tricomanozole (pretty sure thats misspelled). Anyhow he said I seemed to have caught some rampant form of yeast and said if this doesnt kill it we'll have to submit you to the guinness book of records!

I left his office, daring to hope. I was going to be married in 3 weeks! Try explaining to your new husband that there will be no monkey business =( I followed the treatment to the T... and lo and behold... by week 2... it was gone! Just like it came... I took the remaining week of diflucan to be on the safe side and by my wedding day I was 'good to go' so to speak! Sorry for the TMI. I was just happy to feel like myself again. It did take almost a month to get my s3x drive back because I felt so traumatized and a couple of months to not feel like even the SLIGHTEST tingle down there, even from my underwear tugging on my skin, would send me in to a panic.

Anyhow the point of my story is.. dont give up! Insist on a 2nd, 3rd, 4th, 5th opinion until you get answers... Just wanted to offer some hope that you can be "back to normal" again... Also, I wish there was someway I could warn ALL women that monistat 1 is sheer evil!!!!!!! :( . It ruined a goo 3-4 months of my life and almost ruines my honeymoon :(
Of course I purchased Monostat 1 before reading all this.  I decided to try it anyway.  I inserted the Monostat on a Thursday at 11:00 am. I had a little burning (more like an icy hot feeling) through out the day. It was not constant.  Around 9:00 pm that evening the burning was gone.  I used the Monostat on the first day I noticed the symptoms of my yeast infection. Maybe it depends on the severity of the yeast infection  I would use it again.
I also used Monistat 1 prior to finding this site.  I experienced hardly bearable burning and itching inside.  And I was riding a motorcycle during a hot day which just exacerbated the sensation.  It was horrible.  So I took diflucan last Thursday night and used the Monistat 1 on a Friday evening.  Saturday was awful.  Started taking probiotics on Sunday as well as a vaginal suppository on the same day.  It's much better but still not right.  I have two more scrips for Diflucan and just bought a 7 day Monistat.  (Never using the Monistat 1 ever again!).  Now, I'm not sure what to do.  Take another Diflucan?   Start the Monistat 7?  Both?  Neither?  
Have anyone experienced the white cottage cheese discharge after an orgasm.  Waited a week after using monistat .... please tell me something bc that was embarrassing to see it on my mate after sex.
Your BF may have it without symptoms, and you are passing it back and forth. You should both take a dose of the antifungal meds at the same time.
Just last week I used the monostat 1 and got the worst chemical burn, have been off work for a week and may possibly lose my job as I am still unable to return to work due to the damage done.  With all the horrible reactions I am learning women are having to this product why is it still on the shelves?!!  I have been miserable for over a week now, there are so many cuts and tears that is how badly the burn is. The inflammation and pain on some days is unbearable.