Yeast Infection that will not go away!

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Yeast Infection that will not go away!

Hi, I have had yeast and bacteria infections that will no go away!! I've had them for about 3 months.  I have been to the doctor a few times and have had tests that ruled out the stds and whatnots. What else could be this?  Is recurring yeast and bacterial infections a sympton of HIV? Should I get retested?  got tested in sept. Thanks for your help.
I know exactly what you're going through.  I've been dealing with the same thing since last september.  I tried different medications and even the "no-yeast-candidia" diet.  The diet worked for a little while but it's really hard (no flour, no sugar, no corn syrup, etc.) so that didnt last long.  I'm actually not experiencing any symptoms of yeast infection or BV right now and the last thing I tried was the Monistat 7 day insert.  Try that if you haven't already.  Hope this helps!
I have heard that men can pass on a yeast infection (not necessarily show symptoms), so if you are having unprotected sex you may be passing it back and forth. In this case your partner may need treatment. Also, BC pills can sometimes be the cause. It seems to mean that you should not get them so frequently, What does your physician suggest?
I go through the same thing every  month after my period if I don't take my acidophilis vitamins daily.  You can buy them at any drug store and even Wal Mart carries them.  It might take a few weeks, just like everything else, but you notice a difference eventually and if you go without taking them if you ever run out, then you can definatly tell that it works!  Good Luck!
I do have protective sex with my boyfriend. My gyn does not seem so concerned. She said its a fairly common problem and I am overreacting and thinking its something else. I stopped taking birth control.  I am gaining weight though..wonder if there is any correlation there.  Thanks for your advice.
A lot of yeast infections are brought on by antibiotics. If you are going to be taking high power antibiotics you should ask your doc for a diflucan.
The things that cause reoccuring vaginal yeast infections are hiv, diabetes and outside causes.  I wouldn't think that if you had a hiv test in sept you wouldn't need to get another.  Have you ever gotten tested for diabetes?  If you have a family history of this or you have other symptoms such as increased thirst, sweet smelling urine or urinationg freq - i would get tested.  Also you are to illiminate all other causes.  Do you use condoms?  Sometimes they cause that because of the stuff they put on it.  I also know that you doctor can offer to treat your boyfriend with the diflucan.  Do not use any scented soap or detergent. If you take birth control pills they say also that just going off them for a while may return your vaginal bacteria back to normal.  You dont take any other pills everyday do you?  They can cause it too.  Other than that I don't know.
I used to get yeast infections on a regular basis, now they come every once in awhile.  I would always take Diflucan.  It is a pill that your doctor gives you and you take it once and it lasts up to seven days in your system.  That has worked the best for me.  Also they told me to eat yogurt when taking other antibiotics.  I would always get a bladder infection that would turn into a yeast infection.  I would end up with four or more a year.  It sucks and it makes me miserable.  I never found the creams to work for me.  They just made it worse.  HTH!
I just want you all to know that there are wonderful natural alternatives to using antibiotics. I had a systemic candida infection and found that taking olive leaf extract worked better than antibiotics. I think it works better because your body naturally needs some yeast and this just brings your body back to balance. Antibiotics kill all of the yeast/bacteria, good or bad. Then your body is totally out of balance and it invites more problems.

If you are interested in exploring this option I welcome you to do the research yourself. If you want to give it a try, go to your local health food store and buy the herbal supplement in a capsule form and read the label. If it says 18% or higher Oleuropein (the active ingredient), buy it. If it's lower you are wasting your money. I have had great success using olive leaf extract.
Monistat and Diflucan help the symptoms while you have them but taking a natural alternative helps from reoccuring visits from that annoying problem.  You should consider vitamins that help control the overgrowth of yeast.  Acidophuls vitamins are inexpensive and highly effective.
Hi, I tried the Monistat 7.  Worked actually.  It feels great to be normal again!
I had a continous problem also.

Did some research and found that if your using bleach or any cleaning solution on your underwear that could be causing your problems. I quit using them and I haven't  had a problem since.
Hope this helps you.
I was wondering...with a yeast infection is it normal to feel a tickle feeling in your pelvis, with burning and white discharge? The tickle feeling is unbearable...but I have been on diflucan for 3 weeks now (1 pill a week) and Im starting to get better...but Im not completely cured..Im scared shouldnt my infection be gone by now? Im going to the Doctor soon...I also have inflammation in my vaginal area that showed up on my pap...maybe that is making everything take so long to go away...ugh!!! I hate this!! Any advice???
Also my clitoral area was very sensitive....I guess its all connected...blah:(
Have her check you for Vulvar Vestibulitis....it masks itself in reoccuring yeast infections...but it's more than that.
I literally feel like I always have a yeast infection.  I feel like it never goes away, and if it does it is just for a short while.  I just got married a month ago, and I just really don't want this affecting my marriage at all.  But sex is uncomfortable b/c of this and I constantly have a white dishcharge with no foul smell.  I am maybe paranoid, but my paps keep coming back normal and diabetes runs in my family, but I'm a very healthy person and don't have any of those symptoms.  Is it possible that a persons body just functions this way or does it have to be from some outside reason of some kind?  I just want to have a normal genital area!  Why can't I just be a normal, healthy woman?
I know exactly how you feel. I have been suffering this entire year to the point where I don't think I will ever be better. I've been to the doctors too and they say everything is negative even though I have the pain and no something is there. Apple cider vinegar baths help but again it keeps coming back. Maybe we are just a lucky select few who will suffer non stop. I hope someone would offer some insight. There is so much on the internet about natural remedies that it is hard to sort through all the stuff and know what works and doesn't. The yogurt treatment hasn't done much and the pills take forever. My doctor recommended nuvo ring as a new birth control method because it's suppose to keep ph in balance. I haven't tired it yet nor this ****** the doctor recommended called Rephresh but I will and will post how it works. I'm still in the process of begging for more diflucan (fluconazole) because it has been the only thing that has helped but the one does treatment i feel needs to be repeated. You might want to try asking the doctor for that and nothing says you can't take that and natural stuff at the same time...the more fighting power the better. Maybe we can figure something out together. Hope you are feeling better.
I'm 32 years old, and I had my first yeast infection when I was 18.  Ever since then, they seem to come back, everytime I am sexually active.  It is really annoying, because it makes me not want to have sex.  What should I do?
Hey all

There's an answer to all your problems on this site: http://www.yeastinfectionadvisor.com/estrogendominance.html and http://cleansing.bhealthyagain.com/Picture_of_Human_Parasites.html.

All yeast infections come from our bloated colon which is due to constipation and immunecompromised. We cannot just keep striking the area which is affected by yeast ie vagina and/or anal. We need to wipe out the yeast-candida and parasites and worms straight from out gut/colon. AND at the same time introduce friendly bacteria to heal our gut linning and get our digestive system in place.

Please do click the link and have a look at the websites given which would clear a lot of your doubts and is an eye opener at the least.

Bella
Please help, I too have a yeast infect. My mother has it and my two daughter has it. From i was  as young as eight years old I can remember having this infection. Now i am 36. Doctors always give me pills, but as soon as i am done with the pills the infection comes back.
I an really afraid that some day i will end up with Cervical cancer. Please respond
A yeast infection is normal everyone will get in some point of their life.Remember its an infection not a disease. be safe and worry free.
Hi, I have the same problem too. I'm 30, married, and a PhD candidate (which makes my life very stressed). I do not use BC pills. I am very paranoid now. This makes life miserable, especially sex life!
For the last 2 months I had it during PMS. In a year I used 6 flucanazole (diflucan) and 3 times Monistat (1 day doze and 3 day doze are not good. 7 day was ok), met 2 doctors, did all kinds of lab tests (a warning against tests- one gyn visit lab tests cost $3000, I was in shock. Fortunately, I have insurance and paid $300. The doctor seems to be not concerned and just prescribe diflucan. I have not other sickness than Candida Albicans.  But the problem it comes back nearly ever month before my period. I did so much research on yeast. I am doing my best and approaching  this as a whole body and mind issue now. I am reading Ayurveda books.  

The best website I found is http://www.candida-cure-recipes.com/index.html

These are good too:
http://www.ei-resource.org/treatment-options/treatment-information/antifungal-treatment/

http://www.umm.edu/altmed/articles/candidiasis-000030.htm

At this moment I cannot say what works best because I am doing so many things at the same time and my next PMS has not come yet. I'll be more sure next month.
What have I been doing so far?
taking probiotics -26 billion live culture a day
taking grapefruit seed extract 15 drops 3 times a day
taking garlic and cinnamon capsules 2 times a day
eating plain yogurt
using fresh garlic in my cooking and salads everyday
drinking lots of herbal teas I create based on research  (oregano- chamomile- rosemary- mint- caraway- zest of citrus fruits- fresh ginger-cinnamon-  create any combination you like during the day)
Doing candida diet as much as I can. I like cheese and  bread, and like to have some desert a few time a week, but now I only have little cheese once a while; in stead of bread which contains yeast, I buy flour tortillas.  In stead of deserts, I have fruits which are less in sugar level like berries, green apples, and kiwi. Balance your daily food- eat lots of veggies.
Do not use bleach or perfumed detergents or soaps on underwear, or scented bathroom tissue paper.  I soak my panties in water and microwave for 2 minutes; rinse them a few times; do not put them in dryer; let them air dry and then iron them.
Keep that area dry and ventilated :). Not wearing underwear when I am home. If I wear it is 100% cotton.

What will I also try next?
I am thinking that tap water might contain a lot of chlorine which may be the cause of my chronic Candida because whenever I swam in a pool I had yeast in the past. I'll buy a water filter for bathroom.
I will add coconut oil and oil of oregano and maybe organic apple cider vinegar  to my diet. It seems they are very strong anti-fungals.
Try doing yoga everyday. we need to be stress free.

Please let me know what worked for you.
Hope we all get well soon and live yeast free life.
I am 19 years old.. I first got a yeast infection when I was 18. However I did not get another one until I started taking birth control. Now it seems like I've gotten one every month since then and its driving me crazy. It effecting my sex life with my fiance and I can't figure out why I keep getting yeast infections.I haven't really asked the doctor about why I might be getting them and I'm not sure whether it would do any good. I just want this to end and feel normal again. Any Advice?
I am suffering the exact same thing. For the past 2-3 years ever since I became sexually active I have had symptoms like a yeast infection, I constantly have a white discharge that's a little bit liquidy with some white clumps in it but it is almost completely odorless. Sex is also painful for me, I also deal with a little irritation while urinating. I am constantly uncomfortable down there. It never feels 100% fine. I have had all the tests done too, everything comes back completely normal, I even test negative for yeast infections. No STD's ever, I had protected sex, but now I just don't have sex anymore because the pain and irritation is too much for me. The symptoms are usually worse a week before my period, and a few days after as well. But I always have the same symptoms, it has gone away briefly, but has always come back. Sometimes it gets to the point where the pain is unbearable and I can not go to work because of it. The doctors have thought it was everything from a UTI to PID, but nothing has cured it yet. There's no foul smell, nothing like an std at all.
ive been experiencing what i think is a yeast infection. i mean all the symptoms point to it.. it is itchy, burns when i urinate, white discharge but it also has a foul smell, it burns even when im not urinating, and my vagina just seems to be very swollen. i cant think of anything else it would be. i am not sexually active, im still a virgin. this may be my fourth or fifth yeast infection in the passed two years.. i need help, this is unbearable! :(
A few months ago i got a yeast infection and after treating it with the pink little pill they give you at the doctors and with gynelotrimin, it kept coming back. It would go away for a couple a weeks but it would just keep coming back, i had a re-occuring yeast infection for about 4 months or so. That all stopped after i went to my local Trader Joe's and purchased their acidophilus tabs with LiveBac. (white bottle with orange tag). They are less than $10 and they work wonders. You can take up to 3 a day which is what i did, after taking it for about a week straight, my yeast infection disappeared and it hasn't come back since. I haven't had one in about 4 months and i truly believe the acidophilus is what made it go away.

The reason i chose to purchase those is because i always read that eating plane yogurt helps get rid of yeast infections but you have to buy the yogurt that has LiveBac.. Plane yogurt also has acidophilus. I really didn't have the time to be eating yogurt all day so that's why i decided to give these tabs a try. I highly recommend you all do the same! Let me know if it helps!

Good Luck!
I have a yeast infection that never goes away!!!!!! I've been to the health center every week for two months. I've taken Monistat three times. The doctor has given me pills and supositories and nothing cures it. She even switched my birth control. to stop it but nothing seems to work I just want things to go back to normal and I'm starting to freak out
Hi, I was diagnosed 8 months ago w/yeast infection. They did the 7 day cream & the 1 day pill. Didn't go away. Went through 2nd round of both. Still didn't go away. Then Dr. said it was a bacterial infection, so two rounds of 5 day meds (yeah, twice). Still not gone! Got worse around time of my period. Finally got fed up w/antibiotics and creams. Did some searching on web. Found others' w/same issue. 1 lady said she went to NYC & got a prescription from an independent doctor for boric acid suppositories to put up the vagina (apparently, boric acid is harmful when swallowed, but not when inserted in a capsule vaginally). I went on amazon ******* and purchased a 4oz bottle of pharmaceutical grade boric acid and some gel caps (both were for less than $10). Used the suppository capsules for 3.5 weeks. In addition to doing this, during the last week, I used a 7day gynelotrimin creme (mixed w/a lil boric acid) and made a paste that I put on the outer area (vulva) of the vagina. FINALLY, the yeast infection went away went away & I've been free of this issue for a little over month now. Thank heavens!   Btw, it was a rare strain of yeast that most doctoral kits do not detect.  Here are the two products I purchased (I'm not affiliated with any company, just want people to know what worked for me):  Boric Acid Powder By Preffered Plus - 4 Oz and Gelatin Caps "00" 250 Softgels by Now Foods.  the 7day creme is used came from a Kaiser pharmacy, over the counter. But I did see it on amazon ******* for $10.00 (GYNE-LOTRIMIN VAGINAL CRM OTC 45GM by SCHERING-PLOUGH ). Hope this helps someone out (thank you to the lady who suggested the boric acid suppositories. You saved me many many many months of heartache).
i have this ongoing problem,it started last year, gave me a 5 months break,then came back,i have been 2 six doctors,results:just ended up with more medication 2 take,i have a white discharge,milky like,it never goes away,after sex it gets worse,sex is uncomfortable,i do not really have a sex life anymore,this makes me feel so hopeless,it makes it difficult to work or perform any normal day 2 day tasks.please help!
did you have to put the powder in the gel caps ?
I, too, have suffered chronic yeast infections for about 30 years. I have tried almost every remedy out there, I have no illnesses that would pre dispose me to this condition, however I do seem to crave sugar and junk food , which compounds the problem. The one thing that did work for a year was when I went on a raw food, low sugar diet recommend by Dr. Gabriel Cousens. Phase 1 of the diet is the most ascetic diet there is, and very difficult of pull off for three months, as is required, but I did it, and in three months, I started phase 2 diet, and stayed on that for three months, then, for the rest of the year, I maintained a phase 3 diet. After the first three months, I was infection free !!! You can google his phase charts to get one. This is a very ascetic diet, but it does work for those who can stay on it for the rest of their lives. Candida will grow out of proportion again if the diet is not  maintained for a lifetime.

I thought I had a persistent yeast infection, but what actually happened was that I had a yeast infection and then the intense scratching from it turned into dermatitis.  Please look up this skin condition - there's one type called neurodermatitis that can occur in the genital area.  I also read an excellent article that I found on google written by a dermatologist that said that doctors will often treat vaginal itch issues as a gynaecological issue whereas it's actually a dermatological issue.  So women will often to go a gynaecologist when what they really need is to go a dermatologist.  Where I live, the wait for dermatologists is quite long but you can do a lot on your own to manage dermatitis if that's what you think you can have.  Here's the article: http://www.mydr.com.au/womens-health/vulval-problems-a-self-help-guide

I should also add that once I learned to control the itching which is very hard to do, but is possible with drugs, ointments and breathing through the itching, it got better and better.  I have been symptom free now for two weeks and I feel like I have a handle on things.  That being said, I will continue to be careful because of how much suffering is involved.  Good luck to those out there to beat this problem.
We all have something like, 9 different bacteria that live in that area of our bodies.  Yeast infections happen when the bacteria get out of balance, you get an overgrowth of this type of bacteria.  Also, fyi... jock itch, hemorrhoids, and yeast infections and all that kind of stuff are all the same bacteria.  (Ever notice how medication for jock itch is located in the medicine area of the drug store while medication for a yeast infection is located near the condemns).  Obviously men were in charge of store layout, not women.... but I digress).  These things can be caused by the food you eat.  Sugars, highly refined sugars (anything that has wheat in it), vinegar, mushrooms, alcohol, and anything containing these things like salad dressing with vinegar, wine, beer, spirits, etc., ad naseum can cause yeast infections.  It's awfully boring to go through life avoiding everything that can cause it.  A better method is to eat things that combat it.  Yogurt, yogurt, yogurt!  Keifer is fabulous, it's loaded with great stuff.  I buy the plain kind and make smoothies out of it with fruit (add some protein powder and flax seed powder).  Control the amount of sugar you put it in it with fruit.  Fructose is better for you that more refined sugars.  The suggestions others have added here are also fabulous.  

Above all know, there's nothing wrong with you personally, it's just a matter of understanding what's happening and what you can do about it.  

You could also try probiotics.  Go to a good health food store where you can find someone who knows what they are selling.  Ultimate Flora is pretty good.  You want something that's time released and has a lot of good bacteria.  This is an expensive way to treat it so try the less expensive methods first but if nothing else is working, this is definitely worth trying.  
1) Stop eating complex and simple carbohydrates -sugary foods I.e. Pop, candy, bread, pasta, fruit, yogurt, milk.The yeast (fungus) feeds on the sugar. You may want to get a fasting blood glucose test or an A1C (average blood glucose over 3 months) to rule out type II diabetes.
2) Take probiotics. The higher the better 50, 75 or 100 billion. If it's cheap probiotics, remember to refrigerate as soon exposed to air. The bacteria (probiotic) will compete with the fungus (yeast) inside your intestines.
3) Get a series of colonics. This will flush out the yeast primarily located in the colon. Be sure to take probiotics while doing this.
4). Take garlic and/or apple cider vinegar pills or liquid. You can even insert sliced and peeled garlic in your vaginal canal but be sure to remove it no later than 12 hrs from the time you put it in. The garlic will turn green in color but don't freak out when you see it, it means it helped.
5). Get a Pap smear. The Doctor needs to determine if it's a yeast infection vs. bacterial vaginosis vs. an STI. If it's yeast, he/she will prescribe an anti fungal med ie. Diflucan. If it's bacterial, he/she will prescribe an antibiotic. In Canada, you can by Diflucan over the counter. In not to sure the protocol in the States.
6). Wear condoms or go abstinent between you and your partner until it's cleared up. If you are sexual and don't wear protection, encourage your man to wash himself off afterward or he'll start to itch the next day.
Best wishes to you ladies, it really ***** being a woman sometimes!
Hi all. I just wanted to add that I have has chronic yeast infection for three  to four years now.

FIRST BE SURE IT IS YEAST INFECTION.

This time around, doctor gave me medicine that I wanted to share with you all. This is for ppl with recurrent yeast infection only, not starters.
12 vaginal suppositories containing
35000 iu neomycin sulfate
Polymyxin b sulfate 35000 iu
Nystatin 100000 iu
Metronidazole 200 mg
To be used at night

Micanazole nitrate cream 20 mg per 1 mg to be used for 10 days three times daily

Flucanazole 200mg for ten weeks to be taken 1 tablet per week

Vulva wash to maintain pH. Use twice daily for a month

Probiotics containing lb acidophilus and lb rheumacus (spelling may be wrong) for a month to be taken with tablet.

Do not stop using suppositories even if in your periods
No sex or touching yourself  till u stop using suppositories
No sex without condom for 10 weeks
Your partner may be infected so ask him to check up too.

Hope this helps.
Ur post was extremely informative! Thanks