Yeast infection after sex

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Yeast infection after sex

I saw some one posted a simpler question like this one I'm about to ask. A few years ago I got really sick and had to go on a regiment of antibiotics. I got a my first and to me, extremely painful case of a yeast infection (Not too long after having unprotected sex). I then began to notice the recurrence of these yeast infections after sex, more specifically after unprotected sex. I am married and I keep getting yeast infections after my husband and I have sex with out a condom. If we use one I'm fine. But I am guaranteed to get one as soon as we start having sex with out one. Some times it might take a few times before an infection appears other times it will appear after the very first time with out a condom. It's starting to effect me emotionally and the last time I brought it up with my OBGYN he told me it was normal and to just use a condom. Now that I'm married its starting to interfere with my self esteem and my sex life. My husband and I would like to have sex with out the required need of a condom. I'm starting to feel like I'm allergic to him, I know that's not the case. It's just frustrating not really being able to enjoy my sex life with my husband because I'm afraid I might get a yeast infection. I'm still worried when we do use a condom because I'm fearful that at some point even that will not stop the yeast infections from showing up. Does any one have this problem and does any one have any insight to this situation I'm going through?
There are some reasons for recurrent thrush infection. These include when symptoms may not be due to thrush, when thrush is caused by other strains of Candida spp. such as Candida glabrata( These may not be so easily treated with the usual anti-thrush medicines), you are taking antibiotics, or if you have undiagnosed or poorly controlled diabetes.

You should get a fungal culture of vaginal discharge done and all these causes ruled out.

For recurrent candidiasis, we use topical or oral antifungals but for longer than usual. This may be for 7-14 days for topical treatments followed by fluconazole tablet once per week. This is called maintenance treatment, which often prevents thrush from recurring. Sometimes it is followed for 6 weeks.
It is very difficult to precisely confirm a diagnosis without examination and investigations and the answer is based on the medical information provided. For exact diagnosis, you are requested to consult your doctor. I sincerely hope that helps. Take care and please do keep me posted on how you are doing.