Yeast infection every month

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Yeast infection every month

Since April of '06 I have had a yeast infection every month right before my period. Nothing seems to work other than probiotics but I have to take them everyday. I was on antibotics quite often through out '06. Anyone have any ideas as to what would be causing this?
fluctuations in your sugar can cause yeast infections...  that could be a possibility.
i guess i should have been a little more specific... not just fluctuations, but a sudden rise (not drop) in your blood sugar can trigger yeast.  i get them rather often (monthly like you) as well.
Is this something I can count on for the rest of my life? Every time I get so freaked out that it is HIV or something serious. I recently noticed that I have some purple spots on my gums and one on my tongue. I wondered if they were somehow linked or if it could be HIV even though I have tested neg. Have you ever heard of a yeast infection also infecting the mouth?
lilcountriegal

Nothing has really changed in my sugar intake. I did have a miscarriage in April of '06 which is when this all started. GOSH WHAT A MESS!
No I have not been tested. This might be a stupid question but I am only 26 could I still have diabetes?
Have you been tested for diabetes?
yeast can grow anywhere that is warm or wet.  They dont call it a "yeast infection" in the mouth, that is more known as thrush.  Trush (thrush), however, is usually white.  

I reread your post, however, and want to mention that first and foremost, the antibiotics are most likely the culprit.  If you have ruled that out, another cause of yeast infections is a sudden rise in blood sugar.  In some women, intercourse can cause yeast infections.  Some women are more susceptible than others.  

One last point is, you dont have to be a diabetic to have your sugar cause yeast.  The body's general process is, when your blood sugar rises, your pancreas kicks in and makes insulin to bring it down again.  In diabetics, the pancreas doesnt kick in, hence insulin shots and/or meds.  Non-diabetics can also have a rise in their blood sugar (it doesnt necessarily have to be related to your sugar intake.. carbs, everything can cause it).  Everyone's sugar raises and lowers.  Any kind of rise can trigger yeast.  

Id speak to your Gynecologist about it.  Like I said, some people are just more susceptible to it (like myself).  Good luck.
Rereading AGAIN (I really need to stop skimming lol)... you said the yeast infections occur right before your period.  Another point is, there is just as much sugar in your period as there is blood.  I believe I read once that there is actually  more sugar in what is stripped away from your uterus than there is blood.  

I got yeast infections before my period as well.  for some reason, once my period came, the yeast infections went away.  almost as if the period itself cured the yeast.

i wouldnt be so worried about HIV (unless there are other significant risk factors).  yeast is so common.  I really dont think the purple blotches in your mouth have anything to do wtih it either, but id consult your family doc and/or your gyne to be certain and to give you some peace of mind.  
are you sure it's yeast and not cytolytic vaginosis?