Yeast infection that won't go away.....or something else????

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Ok ladies, I need some serious help/advice.  About 2 months ago I had this terrible itchy feeling in and outside my vagina that I thought was a yeast infection.  I couldn't get into the doctor right away so I took Monistat 3.  For some reason I didn't use the 3rd night but felt fine after a few days and my symptoms were gone for a few weeks.  Then it came back, just much less severe but won't go away.  There is hardly any discomfort on the outside only a tiny bit of burning every once and while.  It's a very subtle itch up inside that comes and goes and seems to come on later on in the day.  I have been to the doctor several times and at first she said she didn't see anything.  But when I still had the feeling she took a sample, saw a little bit of yeast,gave me a Diflucan pill, which seemed to work but then the symptoms came back a week later and I decided to try another dosage of Monistat 3.  During this I got a UTI and went in to get antibiotics for it, which cleared it up.  However, I still had the itch and again, went back to the doctor.  She took another sample and didn't see any yeast but saw some white blood cells which indicates an infection and gave me the Terazole cream to treat different strains of the yeast.  I took it all and it hasn't seemed to change anything.  I have been tested for everything else (STD's and BV) and everything is negative along with a normal pap.  I'm not on the pill, other antibiotics and don't douche or use scented tampons, pads, etc...any ideas on different treatments or what else it could be?  I'm starting to go crazy!...
Well, the old wives tale of yogurt or lactobacillus don't work, so don't waste your money.
It's entirely possible that you have a chronic yeast infection, in which case, your doc needs to treat you more aggressively.  It's also possible that the antibiotic you took gave you another yeast infection.  You could try some dietary changes, look it up on the internet, and you can find lots of solutions for candida diets.
I can't remember if you said this...do you take baths or showers?
Sorry if you said..but try not to take baths too much.  Showers are better.
Sounds to me like you do have yeast...but let me ask you this.  Do you have itching just concentrated in the vaginal area, or is it on your entire genital area?
I beg to differ! Acidophilus (the active bacteria found in yogurt) is indeed a highly effective way to balance your yeast. Why not try taking an acidophilus supplement every day. In addition, processed/refined foods, foods containing white flour, and most of all foods containing sugar, can cause your yeast to go crazy. Try avoiding all these things, take the supplement, and I bet you end up just fine.
The itching is mostly in the vagina, not outside....the bad one I had about 2 months ago was also outside, but this one is a little different.  I have done some research on candida diets, but I'm not sure how extreme I have to go with it.  I am trying to limit my sugar/yeast intake, but who would I talk to about this type of diet?  I've read that many doctors don't agree with it...???  The pill that you were talking about...how long did it take for you see results with that?  And how long do you have to take it for?  Are there any long term consequences?  Has anyone tried the diet and been able to successfully come off it at some point because I've also read that people have had to stay on it for years to keep their symptoms under control...thanks so much for your advice!
Sorry, i can't agree either. I have used the yogurt and it worked for me. Maybe it's all in my head, Now, if that's true. it won't work. gosh!

Use the monistat that is more that 3 days. Also if your having sex with the same person , you can pass it to him and ge won't show symptoms. i know, men suck. Anyway he might need to go to the doc to get something. i don't think monistat cream would work for him. It might though. Hate your itchin..... I feel for ya.
I used to have chronic yeast infections too...you might want to talk to you DR about trying something for a bacterial infection like cleocin because sometimes bacterial infections are mistaken for yeast. Terazol used to work for me sometimes, but not aleays. Good luck and I hope you're feeling better.
Snorchy, did anything work for you when Terazol didn't?  I am afraid that she won't give me anything for a bacterial infection, as she said my pH is normal and that she didn't see any signs of BV when she looked at my sample.
Quote taken from an herbal site: Dr.Greene.com

"While active-culture yogurt has proven helpful in many areas, and seems to be helpful in many others, it appears to do nothing to combat vaginal yeast infections. It has been recommended both orally and topically, but when evaluated no benefit is found.41 Perhaps this is because the normal population of Lactobacillus continues to thrive in the vagina even during a yeast infection.42

Lactobacillus can help prevent yeast, though, in the GI tract, diaper area and in the mouth.43 Probiotics can also help to prevent urinary tract infections.44"

The yogurt CAN help maintain a healthy level in your body, but cannot CURE a yeast infection.

From the archives of our own Dr. HHH~

"You are absolutely right that neither hygiene nor diet is the problem. Such issues as tight clothing (jeans in summertime) and diet influencing vaginal infections are urban legends. Ditto for re-using towels, direction of wiping after urination or defecation, etc. Given what I said above, it is simple common sense that putting lactobacillus into the vagina should help, right? Problem is, no commercial lactobacillus preparations contain the right kinds of lactobacilli. The strains common in dairy products (L. casei, L. acidophilus) do not survive in the vagina and have no preventive or curative effect; eating yogurt (or douching with it) is useless, as are lactobacillus products you can purchase in health food stores. Intensive research has been going on for a decade to convert the protective kinds of lactobacilli into products that will successfully colonize the vagina, but to date success has been spotty at best. So maybe someday, but not yet.

So what do you do? The yeast part is easiest: most women with recurrent yeast can take fluconazole (Diflucan) once a week and completely prevent symptomatic infections. If this hasn't been tried, you should discuss it with your ObG provider. Such preventive treatment appears to be safe and usually remains effective months or even years on end."

So, if yogurt, or lactobacillus has helped someone in the past with yeast, it is probably coincidental to whatever other treatments they were also using.  Yeast MAINTAINS a healthy body, doesn't repair an infected one.
Nothing else helped me but the terazol...sometimes I just had to wait it out and it cleared up on its own. I went from OB to Ob trying to find something to help. The cleocin didn't help me either, just thought I'd suggest it in case you wanted to talk to your Dr about trying it. I can really empathize with you...I know how awful it is. You might want to have your partner get tested for yeast to see if you guys are just giving it back & forth to each other. BTW...I tried eating yogurt daily...didn't help either but I guess it's healthy anyway!
Thanks for sharing that research, glad2bamom... the point of my post was that acidophilus supplementation helps to maintain your yeast balance. It sounds to me that the original poster does not have ongoing yeast infection, but rather an imbalance.

I maintain my position that if "emsuc" takes acidophilus (or yogurt) daily, and avoids a refined sugars diet, her problems will be solved.
You're exactly right, and I apologize if it seemed as if I were arguing with you.  I'm so not arguing.  I just didn't want the original poster to think that she could "cure" her problem by eating some Yoplait!
I think that putting the yogurt into the diet is a fantastic way to keep yourself healthy...and there are many benefits.

Thanks for not getting angry when it seemed like I was being snippy.  My apologies!
I really appreciate everyone's advice!  Let me make sure I understand you correctly...is it possible that I don't necessarily have a "yeast infection" but rather an imbalance of yeast?  Could this give me subtle symptoms like the itch inside without the discharge (by the way, I've never had the clumpy discharge associated with YI) and be why there are no signs of yeast on most of the samples my doctor took?  Is there a way to find this out for sure, i.e. a particular kind of doctor I should see besides my Gyn?

Also, one of you mentioned taking Diflucan on a regular basis (I think you said once a week) to prevent future YI's along with eating a better diet and plenty of yogurt.  However, I've read that taking too much of the Diflucan for too long can be dangerous to your liver and/or kidneys and you have to monitor them...has anyone heard of this or had experience with taking Diflucan for long periods of time?

Thanks so much- you guys are lifesavers!
Taking any medication for prolonged periods of time can have side effects.  Of course, in a perfect world, we wouldn't need any of it.  However, for something chronic, sometimes the doc has to prescribe a longer term dose.  This is something that only you and your doc can decide.  Additionally, when they make a decision like that, you must be confident, first of all, that they know what they're doing (referrals, etc.) 2nd, know that they must feel that the benefits outweigh the risks.  There is risk in every medication.  Most meds are double-edged swords.

Also...I don't think we're thinking that you have an imbalance of yeast...but not an infection.  We can't possibly know what you have.  We were just having a "discussion" about what the purpose of the yogurt really is.  When a woman is not suffering from any symptoms, yogurt is a great way to keep things going along smoothly.  It is misunderstood that yogurt can "cure" a yeast infection.  It only helps keep you healthy, when you already are.  Does that make sense?  If I were you, and you were unhappy with the results you've gotten from your doc, then I would get another opinion.  It's your body.
Actually - if you can believe this - I have never had a yeast infection. I am just well-versed in natural remedies as my father had a health food company until he retired (he is the true expert in herbals and vitamins) and I worked there every summer til I graduated university.

So I just know a lot about natural alternatives. And sadly, this may be a permanent lifestyle change for you if your body chemistry is such that it cannot tolerate the processed diet of today's world! Sorry to say!
Thanks...yes I think I'm going to try a different doctor and maybe ask them to culture it to figure out exactly what type of yeast is giving me the problem so we can go from there...

Just curious...many of you mentioned the low sugar/carb diet- has that worked for anyone and how long have you had to stay on it before symptoms were gone?  I don't want to have to avoid sweets forever!!!  Did you talk to any particular kind of doctor about it???
I actually DO think you could have an ongoing imbalance. Not enough to have a full-blown infection, but enough to cause some annoying symptoms. It's like when you have a mild bladder infection - not enough to make you cry, but symptomatic enough to be annoying.

I would strongly recommend trying the dietary changes for a month to see if there is any improvement. Go to the grocery/drug store and find some acidophilus (take the recommended daily dosage). Try your absolute best to avoid the following:
- junk food (chips, chocolate, fast food)
- food high in sugar
- foods made with white flour

I could give you a list as long as your arm of things to avoid, but start with these things. I know it might be difficult but if you want to avoid these ongoing problems, it might take a drastic change in your life.

Keep us posted and good luck!
p.s. You can visit a naturopath to learn more about treating yourself for this without taking medication.
mrs canada- i'm guessing you had to try this too...how long did you have to follow it for???  Were you ever able to eat "normal" foods again without the symptoms starting up again?
One point of clarity,  before running off and trying a long term yeast treatment, it is really essential to know what strain may be bothering you.  There has been a huge increase in drug resistant yeast strains.  You need to be cultured to make sure that you do indeed have yeast.  Many problems mimic yeast infections.  You truly don't want to set yourself up for some long term pain and discomfort, so diagnose before you treat.  

Also,  if you have recently used something to combat the 'yeast', if you do have it, it will not show up on any test or culture.  It is really best to be seen when things are at their worst. It sucks yes, but in the long term it can be worth it.

I would also suggest looking into Dr. Elizabeth Stewart's book,  The "v" Book.  It is an excellent read on how a woman's body works and easy to understand descriptions of what can go wrong.

To add to the yogurt confusion,  there is no product available at this time, that contains the human strain of lactobacilli that is needed to help return the vaginal ecosytem to normal.  Only the human strain contains the DNA neccessary for allowing the bacteria to 'stick' to the vaginal wall.  It is just an old wives tale.

emsuc,  you may just have to find a different gyn that deals with chronic vulvo/vaginal problems. Most gyn's out there really don't know alot about chronic problems. And try not to keep treating yourself willy-nilly.  The continued inflammation and reactions to the meds can lead to longterm pain and suffering from vulvodynia or vestibulitis.  You don't want that. Trust me.
Again, thanks for everyone's advice.  I'm feeling a little better but from how the past 2 months have been going I am afraid that it is only a matter of days (or even hours) until I am uncomfortable again.  I agree that I do not want to keep treating it with the topical creams and whatnot because I am afraid I will become resistant to these.  I also certainly want to avoid any future problems such as vulvodynia, etc. I think if/when my symptoms come back I will try not to run to the doctor immediately so when they do check it out hopefully it will be more obvious as one of you mentioned. I'm also going to switch doctors for a second opinion and ask them to culture the yeast...sometimes I really wonder if it is even yeast giving me problems or something else that the doctor is missing or the samples aren't showing...no one happens to live in/around Connecticut and knows a good doctor that has experience dealing with this do they?
Just wondering...today I noticed a burning sensation on my butt (sorry tmi), not right around the anus but a little further away where the skin of each cheek touches each other...it appears to be some kind of rash...has anyone experienced this with a yeast infection????  just a reminder, i've been tested for std's and they all came back negative...
What you might try, is calling around to different gyn's offices. Ask the head nurse if the docs at that clinic deal with resistant or problematic vaginal infections. If they don't, ask them if they have heard of anybody in the area that does.  

If the symptoms come back and you need some relief, you can use a frozen bag of peas, frozen water bottle, or a bag of popcorn kernels that has been kept in the freezer.  I've also heard that oatmeal baths are soothing for irritated tissue.

good luck
I get that occasionally.  More often when it's hot or I'm nervous and sweating alot.  It can be associated with yeast problems or vulvodynia etc.  Everything is connected and it may not seem intuitive, but if your having vaginal problems with itch, butt itching problems are common.    I usually use something like bagbalm (just a little) (it's an antiseptic ointment used on cows udders) to calm things down. You could try desitin or other similar ointments.
thanks for the advice....i'm trying a different doctor but you all know how difficult getting an appointment is- the earliest I could get at any one of the many around me was for 9 days out....ugh
I have to disagree about the Acidophilus.  First of all, my physicians and pharmacists all recommend it, especially when I take antibiotics.  Secondly, I did a little experiment of my own on several different occassions.  I get yeast infections on my skin often.  So, I started taking Acidophilus twice a day when I had my first symptoms of a yeast infection.  It cleared up.  So, I stopped it for awhile, it came back.  I waited a few days, started taking it again and it cleared up.  I did this periodically for the past year.  Every time my yeast infection cleared up with the Acidophilus.  
I do not know much about the experts you quoted.  but, just because a couple experts say it does not get rid of yeast infections, does not mean it's true.  I can find experts who say it does clear up yeast infections to back up my claim.  on the website www.mdadvice.com it states that Acidophilus kills yeast and fungus on contact http://www.mdadvice.com/library/vita/vitamin283.html
I really sympathize with your problems because I suffered from recurrent yeast infections for three years. I don't know what your problem necessarily is and wouldn't suggest a treatment without knowing. It could be recurrent yeast infections (or sensitivity), vulvodynia, or lichen simplex chronicus or lichen sclerosis. I tried many treatments, drugs and natural. Although I'm sure many people are helped by acidophilous supplements and yogurt, I wasn't. I also visited a naturopath and tried the strict candida diet(no alcohol, sugar, wheat, dairy, vinegar, etc.) for three months and found it had no effect other than to disturb my social life. What I do recommend is finding a good doctor who specializes in vulvar diseases. Keep calling gynos until they recommend someone because it is not helpful to keep seeing new doctors and trying new treatments unless you find a doctor who does the appropriate tests and explains to you why they are prescribing a specific treatment, besides just trying it out and hoping it will work. I know the wait times to get appointments can be excruitiating but it's worth it for a specialist. I also cannot recommend "the v book" enough. It was the most helpful resource I found. Good luck and please keep talking to people about your vulvar problems because I can't help but think I wouldn't have gone through what I did if people (including doctors) were more educated on what are generally perceived as just minor female nuisances.
ugh i cannot imagine having yeast infections for 3 years- i really feel for ya....i've had my problems for 2 months and i feel like i'm going insane.  what ended up working for you and how did your doctor go about figuring it out?  i cannot tell you how much of a relief it is to hear that so many other women have this same problem and to hear about the different options/treatments to try...
Hi Ladies,

I am a strong believer in acidophilous. I had recurrent yeast infections and bacterial vaginitis for 4 months. I went to the doctor multiple times and tried Diflucan and Terazole multiple times. The medicine only worked temporarily, and my itching symptoms returned. After some research I did the following things, and have been symptom free for the last three months. I completely cut sugar out of my diet to get rid of the yeast from my body... I only drank water, ate vegetables and meats. I cut out processed foods and fast foods and only had limited dairy (if you eat yogurt, get the plain, do not use a flavored yogurt to eat because they have lots of sugar in them. Next I tried several herbs from the GNC health stores that work wonderfully!!! Pau d'Arco is a natural herb that kills bacteria, yeast, and a list full of illnesses. I took about 1000mg 3 times per day (do not take pau d'arco constantly for more than 3 months). I highly recommend the Super Acidophilus with 10 billion organisms with a probiotic blend( this particular brand has 7 organism strains so I can't pinpoint which one was most effective) to take about 3o minutes before a meal once a day (I could feel the symptoms going away after 1 week and completely better after 3 weeks). The acidophilous pills should be stored in the refrigerator after opening and make sure it's fresh when you buy it so it should have a long time before it reaches the expiration date. If you get another brand then,you want the pills to contain milk to assist in the proliferation in the intestinal tract. The GNC super acidophilous pills mentioned above are great, a little expensive but worth it. For people who feel like they are getting better and then get symptoms all over again...consider buying new panties...I really think I was reinfecting myself even though I thoughly washed and dried my old panties or either the detergent was agravating my already problemed area. Go to Wal-Mart and just get some 100%cotton white panties to wear until you are completely better. All of this worked for me and it was a lot cheaper than my copays to all my doctor  visits, and prescriptions and over the counter monistat that I wasted my money on. I am actually sticking to some of my diet just because I feel alot healthier and want to prevent future recurrences. I eat breads, sugar, and dairy in moderation but still only drink water... there's no point in drinking ounces of juices/sodas with 15-30 grams of sugar in them. Yeast feeds on sugar and wine and beer immediately. The herb process is also trial and error. I wish doctors would have told me about this because the diflucan doesn't permanently work.Also remember that everyone's body is different and remedies might require some tweaking. I hope this helps ladies.
you might consider the opposite of a yeast infection if you have this sort of trouble - lactobacillus overgrowth.  It has very similar symptoms to a yeast infection but treating like yeast will make it worse.  It's not something a lot of people - doctors included - know about, and I believe a lot of doctors just don't believe in it...but try googling lactobacillosis and the Internet Journal of Advanced Nursing Practice.  Just a thought.
Im so glad you wrote in about all of this ...I also was having these problems and I didnt know what to do!! Now Im also going to follow all of this and hopefully I will have good results!!

Sarah
I would have my sugar checked, you may have type 2 diabetis...
OMG!  I have been having the same problem for the last 5 months.  I cannot count how many times I have been to the Dr.... I have been on Diflucan 3 times, and antibiotic, i have tried it all. It started as yeast, went to bladder infection, then a bacteria infection.  It has been an ongoing thing. It will go away for a week or so then come back!! Im soooo frusturated. I just started taking Acidophilus last week.  But my symptoms are just barely there.  My husband and I want to try to  get pregnant again and we cant even have sex.........   I have spent soo much money on anything they have at Rite-Aid. I also asked my Dr. about the underwear thing because I felt they were also irritating it down there. He said no! But i will buy new panies and go to the GNC store in the morning......  Thanx and Good luck to you All!!!!
Has anyone ever heard of ThreeLac and whether or not it works for this problem?
HI I'm having the same problem for about 1 year now!!! i have seen my obgyn so many times its ridiculous. i have tried everything ...every pill every cream....even a strong medication named FLAGYL...i had bad side effects from it so i needed to stop cuz it got so bad i had to go to ER. i did the yogurt thing,..galvanic, vinegar  baths... i had every test done for std's even HIV and that all was good. i had my fiance get tested for yeast too..and nothing hes fine! i just don't know what to do...i get so mad and i cry cuz i cant be intimate with my fiance cuz of the ongoing infection. i gonna try going to a infectious disease doctor and go from their..o and i have gone to a gastroenterologist to look at my stomach to see if i had a  virus or anything, bu as always it came back normal..WISH ME LUCK ..AND GOOD LUCK TO ALL OF YOU! ill keep in touch to let you all know if i finally beet this thing. bye for now!
Hi,  I have been having this problem for 6mos. and I too am very frustrated, with all of it!!!  I am going back to the doctor on fri. to be re-tested(I have been on one diflucan a day for 30 days) but I know it's not gone.  They might refer me to a nutritionist so I just thought I'd mention it as something else to try.  Anyway, Good Luck to you and please keep in touch as this is the only thing keeping me sane right now.

Ps. Again, has anyone heard of ThreeLac or candidol for this problem?    
I was having what I thought were cronic (chronic) yeast infections.  They kept saying they didn't see anything and gave me pills to help but nothing helped.  I used monistat or anything I could get my hands on.  Finally one day I decided to change GYN offices.  Upon examination I was told there was a small white spot they had to biopsy.  I was diagnosed with Vulvar Dystrophy.  I have 2 of them so it is mixed distrophy.  You should look it up.  It is all the same symptoms of a yeast infection.  I have been treated for what I thought were yeast infections for 8 years and now I know it wasn't that at all.  Now that I am on the proper medication I feel much better.

Good Luck.

I get yeast infections usually only during pregnancy. I am 23 weeks along now,and have had one for the past 2 weeks. i ended up with a Urinary Tract Infection. My doc prescribed an antibiotic, but he really pushes me to drink lots of water and drink some cranberry juice, which has acid in it that helps kill bacteria in the body.  I have been taking his advice and seeing the results I want- NO irritating yeast or Urinary Tract Infection.
I have been reading your stories, and finding it heartbreaking to hear that so many women suffer from such pain in an area that cannot be discussed publically without stigma. I was wondering if anyone could give me some useful tips. I have been experiencing vaginal discomfort/redness/itchyness off and on for the past couple of years. I have been diagnosed with HPV via a pap test revealing that I have "abnormal cells". I suppose this could be related to the discomfort. However, my doctor seems to think that my discomfort has been caused by yeast infections, so I've taken the diflucozone (or whatever its called) when the symptoms occur (which is about once a month, for several days/weeks at a time). I believe the symptoms do have a hormonal connection (ie. a week and a half or so before my period). I'm relatively new to researching my vaginal discomfort, and from what I've read, its relatively minor compared to some (yet uncomfortable enough to cause me concern). The amount of things that it could be seem overwhelming, and I was wondering if someone who has been researching this for years could give me some tips.

My (male) doctor seems very reluctant to acknowledge the problem, however, his receptionist once pulled me aside and gave me the following tips:

- douching with a mixture of baking soda and water (to restore the pH balance)
- avoiding chocolate, white flour and coffee.

If anyone whose experienced vaginal redness, itchyness and general discomfort for days at a time, with a suspected hormonal connection could give me some tips, it would greatly be appreciated!
Good luck to all of you who are suffering, and remember, we are not alone!
Has anyone considered Herpes? It wont show up on a smear test unless the virus is active, meaning open sores. but you can still get itching burning and tingling without any sores or blisters, which is called 'shedding'  where the virus is just under the skin, but not breaking through. The burning and itching can last for 2 weeks at a time, can attack anytime, and is often brought on by stress, poor diet and changes in hormones such as a having a period or pregnancy.
  Are you still taking the Pro-biotics and the Pau d Arco?  Are you still well?  It seems like it took about 1 month on the above stuff for you to get better, is that right?  I have had this chronic yeast thing for 7mos. now and am desperate to get better before summer.  Please get back to me asap.  Thanks so much.  

Smitty906
I have been suffering from recurrent yeast infections for nearly 4 years now. It started about a month after broad spectrun antibiotic treatment for a cough - I wish I'd left the cough alone now! I have tried all sorts of treatments myself, including Canisten creams, pessaries and oral pills. I have drunk gallons of cranberry and pomegranate juice with no benefit.  I tried three lac for 4 months (it made no difference) and I have just stopped taking Candidol after 5 months (it made no difference whatsoever - apart from leaving a big hole in my bank balance).
I'm currently trying lactobacillus capsules both orally and vaginally. I  find that douching with a salt water solution helps to relieve the itching and soreness. Thanks for tip about Pau d'Arco - I'll try that next!    
I don't know how Airbear is getting on, but I started taking Pau D'Arco about 2 weeks ago, after reading her posting. Already my symptoms are improving and I'm very hopeful this will at last prove to be the cure. I'll keep you posted .....
Thank you so much for letting me know about how you are doing on the Pau D'Arco!  I have been going back and forth on using it or trying Threelac but hearing from you has given me hope so I will start it tomorrow.  I hope it keeps working for you and I'll let you know how I'm doing soon.  Take Care!

Smitty906
I was just wondering a few things?  What kind of Pau D'Arco have you been using?  I just read something that says that the safest form is the one where the whole bark is used but the one I have been using says inner bark on the label?  How long are you going to stay on this and is it continuing to work for you? If you could let me know, because I am very new to the herbal thing and getting a little paranoid.  Thanks!
Hi Smitty. I'm not sure what type it is but I bought it from here http://www.*********************************, I've also heard that the Riohealth supplements are reliable. I have been taking 2 capsules, twice a day orally. I also used one as a pessary (not sure if you are supposed to!), but it seemed to finish off the last remaining traces of thrush. It's nearly a week now since my symptoms cleared up completely.  I still get a slight itch every now and then but it so far it hasn't led back to thrush. I'm going to keep taking the Pau D'arco for several months to come just to ensure it doesn't come back.  At £7.99 per pot of 100 capsules, I think it's a good value insurance policy. I hope you have the same success I have had.
I feel you.  I have been having chronic yeast infections for years.  I now have medical bills that I will never be able to pay in my entire lifeime due to YEAST.  I have been dealing with this for about 5 years.  I swear i go to the doctor/OBGYN once a month thinking that maybe magically something will help my uncomfortable vaginal area.  I swear if I find a cure I may have to go on Opera or something to let others like yourself save $ and have a normal sex life and restore comfort that we once took for granted.  I've research so long trying to find a cure for this that I could walk into a Medical College and pass the exam to become an OBGYN (so it feels).  I have seen at least 10 different doctors etc.  I have been tested for everything you could possibly think of STD wise.  Everything came back normal time and time again.  What I have found to work for me for the longest is have your OBGYN "Paint" your insides with Genitian Violet Tinicure...starting at the cervix and painitng all the way down and out to the labia, they must also turn the speculum to get the areas that held you open.  This is a natural way of doing things.  It helps treat Chronic BV and Yeast.  Have you been tested for Diabetis. Chronic YI are side effects of Diabetis...Get that tested.  (i did my tests were normal, prepare to fast).  Also one time I went to the Urgent Care due to the pain being so unbearable and the doctor gave me a script for Lamisil.  Lamisil is use to treat fungus that grows under the nails in the nail bed.  This worked for me the last time I tried it I was YI free for about a year.  Then the cycle begain again this past summer.  I forgot to mention to you that I am also allergic to Diflucan and anything in that family of drugs...so no monistat 7 or over the counter creams help me.  So my research has been in depth.  I am so sick of hearing doctors say well Amie just eat some yogurt and you'll be fine.  NO I WON'T!  Gosh it it really frustrating.  Anyway like I was saying before the Lamisil seemed to work.  Just so you  know you have to have your liver enzymes checked before treatment to make sure your liver can handle it.  You will definately have to weight out the risks.  My personal opinion as to what this drug does (when using it to treat YI) is gets all the fungus that has spored and embedded itself into fat tissues and kills it.  You would have to kill the spores as well as the yeast because the gestation for yeast spores is something like 6-14 days (don't quote me on that) its been awhile since I last checked on that fact.  you can look it up tho.  That would explain why everyone feel better for a little while and then the yeast comes back because the spores begin to grow again creating another full blown infection.  I could go on forever...if you wish to discuss further you can email me at ***@**** and title the email YEAST ADVICE.  just a reminder I am not a doctor just a 28 year old female that has been dealing with this for too long and has tried everything.
I forgot to mention that I went to the dr. today to get another script for lamisil (I got the generic form)  it is the pill form take for about 7 days.  I am going to see if taking this in conjunction to violet tinicure painting sessions and maybe again when spores would again begin to grow to see if I can kill off all the yeast spores in continuation with my no carb diet and low sugar diet if it works!  Everyone keep your fingers crossed and pray that it works.  Why wouldn't it.  I also forgot to mention what Genitian Violet tinicure is it is a topical antiseptic and anti-fungal herbal topical solution.  hence why it helps treat BV and Yeast.  It is VIOLET and will stain anything it touches so wear a panty liner and old underwear.  Also I have heard that wearing white underwear as opposed to a colored underwear helps.  Makes sense...no dye to irritate the vaginal area.
I am having a horrible time with this.  Since Jan I have had 1) cottage cheese-like discharge and 2) vaginal odor.  No itaching, burning or other discomfort. No STD's.  I have tried 3 topical meds, difulcan (4 treatments) and now Flagyl to no avail.  The last test indicated no yeast but a minor amount of bacteria, but this clearly looks like a yeast infection.  I am not in a sexual relationship (but would desperately like to be and this is ruining my sex life.)  Is there a "specialist" in OBGYN I should see?
I have been taking Pau D'Arco since the end of Jan and I am completely thrush free now, and have been since the beginning of Feb. If you have tried everything else, please, please give it a try. It is a natural product made from tree bark and it has been a miracle cure to me after years of suffering from Candida. Please don't waste your money on advertised yeast cures, as they don't seem to work. Pau D'Arco is cheap to buy and works really quickly (2 weeks). If you want more proof, just read through the postings on this forum - you'll notice that everyone who tries Pau D'Arco stops posting after a couple of weeks of trying it!    
Has anyone had YI associated with bikini waxes?  I've been getting Brazilian waxes (where they remove hair completely from the genital area) for about 5 years now, and am wondering if that has had anything to do with my reoccuring infections.  
Hi, I am very interested in the Pau D'Arco treatment. Where can I find a reputable seller of this herb. I tried GNC online and they do not have it listed on their site. Do I have to go into the retail store??

I too have suffered for almost 4 years now...I tried creams, pills, acidophillus, garlic, yogurt, Gynatren all have failed. I've seen my Dr. numerous times along with a naturopath and a OB/GYN.

Thank you kindly.
I've been suffering from YI symptoms for the past 2 moths. A month previous to that I had my yearly pap and it came back possitive for BV. I have been sexually UNactive for the past 3 years. I am wondering if BV can mask itself as a YI? Some of the symptoms seems similar. So far just itching and a slight milk like discharge, but BV includes others as well. I was treated with Metagel for BV but I didn't have any symptoms at the time. I am heading back to the doctors today and I feel much more prepared thanks to this post! I am off to google specialists in my area. I hope it'll be a last result. Thank you to everyone who has posted! You've been most helpful!
I have had a yeast infection for around half a year now and it will not go away i tried some pill that made me throw up so the doctor just told me to take these pills from cvs that are really made to prevent yeast infections , and i thought my yeast infection was gone but it game right back after me taking the pills everyday for two months I dont want to have to take those pills everyday though because of this there must be a solution ? im young , only 16 so im scared to go to certain doctors you know but if i have to i mean ill do it. I am not sexually active btw.

I am however on a medication called doxycycline and before that was on minocycline i have been told that due to taking those i am more prone to infectiosn and have been sick often so im thinking it may be a combination of the medicine and the yeast infection

what should i do?
I had a yeast infection over a month ago that went away right away with one dose of difflucan.  Then, 2 weeks later it came back and this time I tried to difflucan.... twice... and tried monistat 1... after all this the internal itch is gone but there is a persistant external itch!!  My doctor told me to use hydrocortisone cream mixed with canesten external cream... i've been using that for weeks (and am now using nothing hoping it will go away by itself).  Has anybody ever had trouble getting rid of an external itch?   I can even feel it when I'm walking around, it seems as though my clothes are irritating the problem (Even though their really lose!! and 100% cotton!!!)  I'm not sure what to do!!

ps- I  am not sexually active ...........
I have the same symptoms as you eg: cottage cheese like discharge and odour. have you come to any conclusions yet?
TO ANYONE WHO HAS HAD CHRONIC OR RECURRING YEAST INFECTIONS:

I have had a yeast infection for the past 3 months... I tried everything. All the prescriptions, every Monistat, yogurt, garlic, probiotic supplements, cutting out carbs... nothing worked. I finally am seeing some improvement with BORIC ACID SUPPOSITORIES. Apparently you do not need a prescription to get them.. you can fill them yourself somehow or get them at a pharmacy. I had a nurse practitioner call a pharmacy for me and order them. My instructions are to insert 1 suppository for 14 nights, and then for 2 weeks after that insert 1 suppository 3X a week. It has been one week since I started and it seems that the yeast is almost gone. I think the last week will definitely take care of it, and then the 2 weeks after will prevent it from coming back. (Knock on wood!) If you haven't tried this yet, I highly recommend it. It was MUCH less irritating than any Monistat, and also less messy. The first night I had watery discharge (wear a pad), but now there is only some discharge in the morning when I first stand up, and then hardly any throughout the day. I'm fine wearing only a panty liner. I feel like there might be a little irritation from the suppository, but it's hardly noticeable.

Good luck to everyone! I hope you find relief as well!
Did any of you ladies think about vulvodynia it has some of the same reactions very hard to get rid of .Well there is no cure you just have to try and control the out breaks which is very difficult to do! I have been suffering with this for about 10yrs now,and I have high oxcolate in the food you eat can cause it to flare up more.Look up on the enternet the vulvar pain foundation they will give you the foods you should stay away from.also be careful the laudry soap and body soap you use it can make a huge difference! And stress is really bad so try to cut down on stress in your life.OH and no tight clothing that will really start it up well thats about all i have to say for now I really hope it helps you.rily
I'm pregnant with my third child and have been having a yeast infection for a month and a half.  It's driving me crazy.  I tried a generic monistat 3 day treatment and it didn't work.  My OB has prescribed me medicine twice already and it hasn't helped too much.  My question is, I've been too sore to have sex most days but my husband and I have had sex probably four or five times in the last month and a half.  I didn't know I could pass it to him and then he'd give it back to me.  How do we know if he has the yeast infection?  And if he does have it how do we get rid of it?  I'm so tired of being sore-  PLEASE help!!!
Hi I'm with princesscamy on her post. Often times the itching may seem like it's yeast when it's really bacterial. Eating the wrong foods cause yeast. I have had this ongoing curse for the past 8 years. often times I have gone to the doctor and they do not see anything which is extremely frustrating to me, because I feel really sick. Once in a while they will see something and give me antibiotics, which of course causes yeast.
I cannot eat ANYTHING that has sugar in it. Not even natural. No fruits, no carrots, no carbohydrates, nothing processed. I have become label reading crazy. I cannot eat anything that has 1 gram of sugar in it. I've also learned from reading books on yeast that it lives in your digestive system. I literally go crazy because when the yeast comes I feel it coming out of my skin, fingers and toes. My scalp gets super dry and super flakey and my face gets really bad Rosecea I literally want to jump out of my skin. I can only eat meats, salads (with no dressings) and vegetables (that don't natually have sugar in them like squash) I've been taking Oil of Oregano because I heard that natually kills fungus and parasites. They had also recommended I take Grapeseed Extract to kill the bacteria but it causes out of control yeast in me. So I stopped. I noticed that the Oil of Oregano also causes me yeast but it's not as bad as the Grapeseed Extract.

I was also overdosing on Acidopholus and it was a great way to keep the bacteria and yeast controlled but it does not make it go away. Also I have found that I'm allergic to it. So that doesn't help. It's supposed to help you digest better but it really constipates me and causes all my glands to hurt, from my legs to my underarms, to my neck glands. Because I get constipated it makes me nauceas all the time.

I'm still super duper frustrated because it does not let me live a normal life. I cannot enjoy sex, or socialize with friends as I cannot eat or drink anything.
I will try the Pau de Arco to see if that helps, because the only times that it has gone away for a few months is when the doctor has prescribed 2000 miligrams of Metronizadole/Flagyl and even then it comes back. This treatment is for Trichamoniasis. Although I have not had Trichamoniasis this has been the best treatment I have found so far. But the metalic taste in the mouth last for days and it makes me super sick.

When doctors have not been able to see anything under the microscope I have turned to holistic healing. I found Theta Healing has worked the best and the fastest. Sometimes Instantly. But it got expensive and I stopped clearing and it came back. What I've come to learn is that guilt causes bacteria and resentments cause yeast. I'm very emotional so I internalize a lot of strong emotions. I'm curious to know if any other women have paid attention to their emotions and have noticed any recurring emotions right before their most uncomfortable times???

Also if there are any doctors or naturopaths that would like to shed any light on this. I know my case is extreme but I want to feel good again myself.
Did you ever get it solved? If so, how?? Somewhat going through the same thing
I meant to address the first girl who posted on this forum, emsuc, in my above post. :)
What if I told all of you I may have a natural cure for a yeast infection that doesn't want to go away. I haven't tried it myself yet but I am seriously considering it. The remedey has been passed down through my family from an outdoor natuarlist. I don't want to scare all of you ladies but I am a 35 year old male who has been suffering with jock itch for a year and a half. Jock itch is the same thing as a yeast infection luckily us guys don't have an embarassing description such as the term yeast infection. Athelets foot is also considered the same thing, just on a different body part. I have been through the unbelievable embarasment with filling prescriptions, because unfournutley for men there is no prescription yeast infection medicine specificly for me. I have had to take difilucin 3 different times and it didn't work and everytime I had to pick this up I have eithier had to convince them that it is ok for me to take and maybe make a joke like " last time I checked I didn't have a vagina." Sometimes they say there must be a mistake and they didn't fill the order and there would be an embarising conversation at the counter with people wondering why I'm buying vaginal cream, lol.

Oh well I got used to it and I don't really care what people think, besides if anyone asks i could just tell them I have severe athelets foot.

To get to the remedy, a its going to seem extremely strange.

I have cured athelets foot by placing my bare feet in clean orgainic topsoil and I am considering buying a few packages of top quality organic topsoil and covering my lower extremities while in the tub. This could be quite relaxing like a spa treatment. I am going to consider it as mud bath with out the water. For a woman it might not be entirely comfortable (sand in the vagina syndrom (syndrome)) lol. But it is natural and full of nutrients and I believe the topsoil actualy absorbs the yeast(fungal) and the nutrients clean and dry the area. All I know is it cured my brothers and my athelets foot and I will try just about anything at this point plus it's safe. Dont forget to wash out the dirt though ladies. If I try it I will post my results. Peace ladies.

Michael Bnice
I had a chronic yeast infection off and on for many years. Everytime I went to the doctor, after taking a smear, he would perscribe a vaginal suppository, like you find OTC these days. When it continued I went to another doctor and found out that I had been over treated and now had just the opposit, I had an overgrowth and he simply told me to douche with baking soda and water. I haven’t had a yeast infection since and it has been over 10 years!! You find baking soda and water douche in your local drugstore or make your own with 1 teas of baking soda in a standard glass of slightly warm water and pour into a douche bag.

As another member mentioned it could be Type 2 Diabetes.  After reading that bit of information I mentioned it to a girlfriend who happens to be a retired RN. She recommended that I go and buy the glucose test strips that you pee on.  They are inexpensive.

Well my sugar was over 2,000.  Through diet and exercise (I love to walk) it went into the 300 range.  Now I'm on 2 generic diabetes drugs, and it's getting lower each day.  Still watching what I eat and keep walking.

BTW I thought I had the yeast infection from hell.  I was so absolutely miserable.

i've had burning and itching sensation from February..i've seen three doctors they prescribed candida medication which didn't work.the last doctor i saw prescbried Fluconazole the burning and itching  sensation is  not as bad as it was but it still exist ..please help i dont know what else to do
I have actually changed my diet so that I am now vegan, gluten free, and sugar -free (meaning no cane sugar or processed sugar in my diet at all) and it has worked out really well. However, since I am still that lucky 5% of the population that has chronic candidiasis, I still get Yeast Infections occasionally and they make me go insane. I have one right now, I've tried everything from putting garlic up there, to eating lots of garlic, to taking Diflucan...and I realized one thing...the Doctors don't know anything. They just guess and prescribe. If anything, you can probably make a better educated guess about your own body then they can. The Doctor I went to was mainly just concerned about money saying that we should test me for yeast. Hello!!! I've had yeast infections for 6 years now, I think I can tell what a yeast infection feel like. So in short, I do suggest changing your diets because I have gone front 3 yeast infections a months to maybe 2 yeast infections a year. Also, please note that you might be allergic to latex! This is something that I didn't realize and my fiance at the time would use latex condoms when we had sex, and this ALWAYS gave me a very chronic yeast infections. So you should definitely make the switch to non-latex condoms and see if that helps any. And make the switch over to a sugar free diet. You can always use agave in place of sugar which is really yummy, you can bake with it, and it's actually super healthy for you (you body doesn't recognize it as sugar). Agave is what they make tequila out of, it's a natural nectar found in nature from the agave plant. Anyways, I thought I would just throw in my 2cents because I have had this problem for years, and still do (but to a much much lesser extent)...and I totally empathize with all of you.

Goodluck!!!
Hello, i had reccurrent yeast/bacterial infections for two years. Right now i feel like 85% of my symptoms have disappeared in the last three weeks by doing this regimen. A. Cut down on sugar significantly, one pop or juice a day and the rest water. no dessert or candy except twice a week. Protein and veggies are the way to go. I like sliced turkey and fresh veggies :). B. Take Green Vibrance powder for body alkalynity. Got mines from health foods unlimited. Here's the link http://www.amazon.com/dp/B00014E01K/ref=asc_df_B00014E01K1764390?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&tag=hyprod-20&linkCode=asn&creative=395093&creativeASIN=B00014E01K. C. Taking Herbs of Light Yeast Away pills LINK http://herbsoflight.net/yeast-away-capsules-90caps-450mg.html. Amazing antifungal herbs like golden seal, black walnut hull, olive leaf, pau d' arco, and echinacea. Did this for one week on moderate diet changes and felt all the yeast flushing out of my va jay jay. Was the worse yeast infection i EVER HAD. Then two days later 60% better. two weeks on moderate diet change 70% better. Third week no diet change actually worse. I had three days of constant cake, and candy like twix and snickers and pop. Only 85% better. Still improving but slower since the sugar intake. Started feeling a tiny irritation. Now week 4, I'm about to go off all sugar and breads. Intake more green vibrance, and hope to be 100% better. Hope this helps someone :) Chow
I've never had problems with yeast infections except after taking antibiotics until recently. I use the Arbonne seven day body cleanse two months ago and have had worsening problems ever since. I did the yogurt and the apple cider vinegar things, but the relief was only temporary. I have used a total of 4 monistat kits; they didn't work.I even got diflucan from the doctor. I ended up with a horrible allergic reaction to it and had to take steroids. Now I am on probiotics. I've also ordered the Pau d'Arco tea and got a nurse practitioner to call in some boric acid suppositories after my yogi told me that that was the only thing that helped her. Here's hoping that the combination of all of those things finally helps.
Plz help me somebody! a few days ago I woke up to this itching on the outside of my vagina lips . I scratched it so bad my lips swelled & burned, I showered bought monistat 1 day & anti fungal cream...applied both , showered twice a day , changed my underwear & kept it dry. Day 3 my lips are still.extremely itchy, but now I have a white film on the outside, my lips feel dry & thick, & its very sore... What do I do?
I'm so glad I found all of you.  I had a 5 day stomach ache back in May so I went to the doctor.  They took blood.  I felt fine the next day of course but they called me saying I had H. Pylori and had to take a medicine called the PrevPac.  After taking these double dose of antibiotics for 2 weeks, I ended up with a yeast infection a week later.  I treated in with otc cream and it went away.  two week later it cam back.  I did the same treatment.  Two weeks later back again.  This continued 4 times.  Then I had IV antibiotics in August for a surgery I had.  Couple weeks later another yeast infection.  I went to my doctor and she prescribed me a one time pill.  The yeast came back again.  I went to the gyno doctor who looked at the discharge under a microscope and said she wasn't going to culture it b/c I was loaded with yeast and she gave me a pill that takes care of resistant stains.  Well that didn't work either.  I've had constant discharge from a straight month now and about 6 yeast infections in the last 6 months.  The gyno doc said next they wanted to do a supressive regimen.  I don't know how i feel about this since i know it can be harmful for the liver.  I never had this problem before taking those double antibiotics.  It's ruining my life and putting a huge stain on my marriage.  I was doing the yogurt/probiotics routine but will now try the Pau D'Arco since people have had luck with it.
Garlic. Use a clove of garlic like a suppository.
I read this in a health store book.
Make sure the clove is slit somewhere, so the natural antibiotic is able to escape.
Keep it in overnight.
Should work really well. Garlic burns it out.
There is a lot of great information on the internet, albeit difficult to wade through the muck...I am in the same situation and came across a website that was very informative  http://www.candida-yeast-infection-relief.com/?gclid=CNauheqa8LECFQoZQgod1zYAiw

This site talks about how our whole system can have candida overgrowth, and how the spores can infect our whole bodies, lay dormant, and become active again....hence the repetitive yeast infection.  I know it is geared in the long run to purchase their product, however, the information is great and it makes sense.  

There are a number of types of acidopholus strains, the type that are in the vagina are lactobacilus acidopholus.  To say take acidopholus is great, but vague as there are so many strains...read the back of probiotic bottles at your health food store and you will see what I'm talking about.
Screw u luckylocket2 I am a guy who has had my yeast infection for 2 months. My fiancee gave it to me and I have tried everything I could diligently (except for antibiotics)  including not having sex. So maybe the same can be said about women. Or just u -.-
omg sweety im in the same postion as you. mine comes and goes too i took diflucan and teconazole and monistat everything nothing worked, now i dont have an itch but i have a slight burning in my vulva and it also varies thruout the day,. i go to the doc to do treatments she cleans me with boric acid and then she takes nystatin cream and micanizale 7 and rubs it in there and outside. she told me for home remedies drink lots of chamomile tea and douche with chamomile tea as well. its still burning nothing seems to help and im wondering y i am being cursed like this, i have had this before but it goes away for 3 months then comes back, i think ts my diet too, i love sweets and eat a lot of them im trying to cut down a lot, i dont eat sweet stuff anymore at all only strawberry yogurt but i don't think that really counts. anyway im gonna go ask the doc to take a culture sample when i go on  Monday bec i wa Na make sure its yeast bec i have no discharge and no smell and no itch just burn.
Anybody found something that really works???
Im In the same position !! absoloutely desperate for answers !!!!! I had a baby 10 weeks ago, suffered a third degree tear etc was on antibiotics... (4 kinds) then got a chronic yeast infection.. including rashes on inner thighs and a nappy rash. Have been to several doctors have tried all thrush creams and 2 weeks of diffuclan. pro biotics, yogurt, sterioid creams which help my rashes but they always come back... So over it !!! I am even on a gluten free diet and have cut back sugar. Nothing is working im absolutely miserable. My ob gave me antityripline tablets but I know that I don't have vulvodynia as the symptoms r clearly obvious... and the pain isn't just localised on my vulva. Iv never ever had a yeast infection or any infection down there before.. I Cant shake this and its ruining my life emotionally and physically. No doctors are taking this seriously. By the way they have done swabs and it comes back minor growth of candida..... Maybe different strain ? allergic ?
I believe my fiancé is the one with the yeast problem. Only since we've been together for five years have I had a chronic yeast infection/bacteria/parasite (who knows for sure?)  I'm 46, and before we hooked up, I only had ONE yeast infection with each of my 3 pregnancies in each of the first trimesters (obviously hormonal changes, right?)...so in my struggle to rid my body of the problem and maintain a balance these past 5 years, I have concluded that the ding **** on the other side of my bed has GOT TO BE constantly "reinfecting" my vagina!!!!!  He's told me how severe his ex wives' and girlfriends yeast infections were, especially his first wife. DUH.  Also, the man is completely addicted to sugar/alcohol.     Interesting that one man has shared his experience in this discussion since 2008.  Men definitely do not show the same symptoms that we do, if at all.  Bad penis. Bad.