Yeast infections and Monistat 1-day?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Yeast infections and Monistat 1-day?

Before I address my problem: I DO NOT HAVE A DOCTOR, nor will I find one. I will not pay hundreds of dollars I don't have just to confirm what I already know (and what else, get Diflucan to kill my liver? Yeah, sounds fun.)

Early this morning, I started feeling itchy and puffy in my vulva area and I know without a doubt that it's a yeast infection. I went and got the Monistat 1-day thing that comes with the cream -- which my mom recommended to me (she said it ALWAYS worked for her). I no longer feel quite so itchy, but now it's burning and the external cream isn't helping at all... and yes, I've seen the complaints about the 1-day ovule and how everyone's doctor says it's bad. Hindsight is 20/20.

The University of Wisconsin-Madison health website advised that diaper rash ointment containing zinc oxide (such as Desitin) would provide some relief from itching and burning. I applied some Desitin to my severely inflamed labia, got about five seconds of wonderful relief, then the burning returned with a vengeance. Can anyone explain this?

This is not the only problem I have "down there." I have extremely irregular periods (my last one was August 2011), I don't believe I ovulate, and I'm fairly certain that I lack the estrogen required for endometrium build up. None of these particular problems bother me, but I wonder if they might make me more susceptible to yeast infections? This is the second one I've ever gotten and the first one was only 10 months ago. If this is going to be an ongoing problem, I swear I'll sew the damn thing up myself and never think about it again.

I'm almost 19 and I've been married for 11 months. My husband and I are both negative for STD's. However, it seems like sex encourages yeast infections or something. Both the first time and this time, I started to feel itchy and puffy in the genital area less than 24 hours after sex. I thought the first one was caused by condoms, but we haven't used condoms recently, so I guess that probably didn't have anything to do with it. Any thoughts on sex possibly being a contributor to yeast infections?

I welcome all non-doctor related advice. Thank you!
You may be passing the yeast back and forth.  A really good natural remedy is live culture yoghurt.  It has to be the live culture.  Also when you are currently experiencing one limit your simple carbs.  yeast eats sugar, the more food you give the yeast the worse your problem is going to get.

T
The above poster is correct. If you've had a yeast infection you need to get your partner treatment as well, otherwise it can just be passed back and forth.
Do you pee after sex? You should, if you don't already, as it helps stop yeast infections and UTIs.
Another possibility for the itching is an allergic reaction - maybe to the cream itself, or if you've used a new soap powder for your clothes or any lubricants/soaps down there.
It seems like the infection has pretty much cleared up... the internal discomfort disappeared 3-4 days ago and the external discomfort seems to have gone, as well. I do have one more question, though.

Without menstruating or douching, how will "down there" clean itself out? It can't be good to just let it sit in there and I rarely have a period, as mentioned in my original post. If there's anything I can do to clean it out (that isn't likely to cause another infection!), please let me know.
Our vaginas are self cleaning so really don't need anything more than a rinse with water. Not douching - just wash it with a wet cloth, or it's cleaned when in the bath. They're not the only things to cause an infection, but it's best to avoid them anyway so chances are lower of getting one from that way.