Yeast infections and oral contraceptives

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

Can oral contraceptives (the pill) cause yeast infections? I have been on the pill for about 15 months and have had at least five yeast infections. All were successfully treated with over-the-counter remedies. One partner(clean). I was recently told that the pill may be the culprit.
I have read that oral contraceptives can make you more prone to yeast infections, but 5 is a lot.  It may not be yeast but another type of infection.  Also, over the counter medications sometimes don't get rid of all the yeast, so the infection can come back stronger, and if you've had five that sounds like what may be happening.  I would go to the doctor and get tested, and if it does turn out to be a yeast infection make sure he prescribes you something because that will work better than the over the counter meds.
I wasn't on the pill but while I was on the patch I became prone to yeast infections.  If you do some research you will find the birth control changes your vaginal ph making it more basic instead of the usual acidic environment.  So that combined with sperm (which is basic) you can be prone to get yeast infections.  I struggled with this for over year before I decided to stop and haven't had a yeast infection in months.  It might also help you if you use condoms.
I used to take the pill and would get yeast infection's almost every month. Yogurt helps because of the culture Acedophilus.  This helps to prevent yeast infections.  They also sell Acedophilus pills in any pharmacy.  It is sold over the counter so don't worry about getting a prescription.  You will find it in the vitamin aisle.  Hope this helps.
I was on oral contraceptives for only two months, and I had two yeast infections during that time. Yes- the bc pill can cause yeast infections, and can continue to be an indirect cause after you've stopped taking it for awhile afterward. My advice to you would be to take acidophillus and cranberry supplements regularly. It helps a lot (and saves you a lot of money on over the counter remedies in the long run).

Good luck!
As with every other woman's answer here i sound off with a big YES! I had to switch almost every pill I was on and each one gave me yeast infections. Im off of them now (( awaiting my tubal ligation now)) and no more yeast infections.. HOoRay!!