abdominal mass

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

abdominal mass

i have a mass in the right side of my abdomen next to my belly button, the doc says it could be a hernia or muscle development but im worried and looking for anyone who has had something similar to this before. its about the size and consistency of a golf ball. i can feel my pulse in it, and it moves freely of my other organs when i press on it. sometimes though it doesnt move at all. usually i have no pain or discomfort, or any other symptoms for that matter. slight stabbing pains occur occasionally, but not always where the mass is. also, the upper right side of my abdomen is very hard to the touch when im standing, but soft like the rest of it when i lie down. any words of comfort or advice would be appreciated. im 200 miles away from my doctor and family and im very nervous/scared as to what this may be.
Tags: abdominal, Cancer, abdomen, s, Health, Abdominal mass, Women, Womens Health, Tumor
if it's part of the abdominal wall, and not a mass within the belly, then the likelihood of something dangerous is really small. Hernia is a possibility, as well as a lipoma or other harmless growth. But the only way to be sure is to be evaluated more fully. I'd say a general surgeon would be type of doctor most able to diagnose it simply.
im pretty sure its underneath my abdominal wall, when i flex all i can see and feel is muscle.
also, the right side of my abdomen is noticably distended when im standing, and ive just noticed another mass that feels similar to the first one, its right above the first one. still no symptoms other than a heavy feeling in that part of my abdomen. ive scoured the internet looking for anything that this could be, i keep coming up empty handed.
while it is solid, it moves freely when i push on it, i can feel it moving other organs out of the way. my doc told me to watch it closely because he had no idea what it could be since i have no symptoms. im getting worried now though because after i eat i get stabby pains around my belly button and im losing weight even though im eating three meals a day (which is more than usual) ive dropped 3-4 pounds in the past few days. my mom thinks it may be gallbladder disease, she had hers removed a few years ago and has had major complications since. my uncle (her brother) also has it. can gallbladder disease pass genetically?  im going to try to get to my doctor this week to get xrays and an ultrasound. ive had bloodwork done multiple times over the past two years for unrelated problems, and everything came back perfectly normal. sorry for rambling so much, im just very scared and nervous. i dont know what to expect when i see my doctor.
My husband has a polyp in the abdominal wall of his stomach.
We were told if it was a tumor, it would be hard and not
moving freely.  Did your doctor give you any treatment for it?
My husband gets it checked annually to make sure there are
no changes in size and in movement.
By the location you explained it would not be gall bladder. You would also have definant pain with gall bladder problems.
Any time you have unexplained wt loss you should have further evaluation. You should notify your physican so he can order some diagnostic tests.
Whether it's a hernia, a non harmful fatty tumor, or whatever...You need a positive answer as to what it is. If it's freely movable & non painful it's more likely to be harmless but you do need further evaluation esp. with recent wt. loss.              Good Luck & God Bless, Jean
thankyou, i have an appointment with my doctor tomorrow afternoon. my weight fluctuates a lot, but never this much this quickly. ill let you know when i find something out. crossing my fingers that its not something major.
went to the doc today, he thinks i have a fatty tumor. got a ct with contrast done today, will have the results tommorrow. thanks for the comments.
You're welcome. I'm glad to hear your good report. :-)
I hope the rest of your testing turns out good. Post & let me know what you find out, will you...

If you continue to lose wt. you might want to get your thyroid checked, ok...

Best Wishes, Jean
scan came back perfectly healthy, i am still losing weight and my abdomen is still pretty distended all the time. its strange though because my pelvic area is flat, sometimes concave, and the distention starts right above my hip bones. at least i know i dont have a tumor, but im still worried that somethings not quite right.
Have you had any changes since your diagnosis? I have the exact same thing in the exact spot. I'm a single mom and it is worrying me now.
I have had pain in my RUQ.  It started out gradually and orginally looked viral.  However, after three weeks it does not appear that way.  Ultrasound, CT, endoscopy, and HIDA scan with CCK all showed up negative.  I was told to go the PT and to get it treated as an abdominal strain incase that is what it is...and to look for a reaction.  The PT found a hard mass,...after it was massaged, the following 2 days it has been swollen and incredible tender and sore.  Any thoughts?
whatever hapened? I have the same thing and am going fora Ct tommorrow
what did your CT scan say? I have these large rock hard masses all over my abdomen too and my tests have all come up negative!
My wife has very similar symptoms.  What did you determine the lump was?  She is thin and muscular and can see the lump almost roll from side to side. Hope yours was nothing serious.
I know this is an old post and I hope that you are doing well! So crazy, I have been having the exact same symptoms for about a year. No insurance right now, and so far with colonoscopy, upper endoscopy, blood tests, and the such, everythings good. I just went to a clinic, and the dr, said she could feel it, and that it's movable. It does'nt hurt, and now that I know it can move, I've moved it around and it seems to disappear when I do that for awhile. I sometimes get stabbing pains in that area if I eat in the morning without drinking tea or coffer first. The only reason I even discovered it was after I was sick for 2 days, and my stomach was concaved (I'm rather thin to begin with). Any help would be much appriciated
I too have this same thing! I'm a mother of 2, average weight. By abdominal ultrasound, I was told that it is scar tissue from my c-section that was 18 mos ago...but this "scar tissue" is inches above my scar. All my bloodwork came back normal (which is reassuring.) But I too have recently lost about 7 lbs. The only thing I've changed is started takine Sudafed several times a week for allergies and a multivitamin. How is everyone else doing? Any new diagnosis?? Thanks!