abdominal pain and pressure around rectum

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have been having lower abdominal pain along with tremendous pressure in the rectum area. I have had regular periods and dont know what could be the cause. Any help would be appreciated.
could i ask your age? and have you had any pelvic surgeries,or children? i ask because it's possible the the rectal pressure is a rectocele, or something along those lines, it's basically a hernia of the rectum, or a vaginal vault prolapse.if you google rectocele or prolapse it will give you the causes and symptoms.and also if you have had previous pelvic surgery, the abdominal pain you are having could be scar tissue. just a thought anyway. good luck
Are you having trouble pooping?  Are you just constipated?
i have the same question.....if you are not able to go and are having the pain you are describing i think it warrants a visit to the doc. You could have a blockage. Not to scare you but my mom had those symtoms (symptoms) and it turned out to be advanced colon cancer. if you are young of course it would be less likely but there are always exceptions. If it would continues i would surely go to doc. Good luck!
Hello ladies, I'm new to this type of forum but have the same kind of problems mentioned here since I was a teenager. Had my period at age 12 and it's always heavy and painful. I have 2 lovely boys but still have the abdominal pain. Although they are usually infrequent, I have about 8-9 episodes in a year, sometimes more. The pain would be in what I described as my pelvi area, more like in my ovaries and uterus and not muscular or anything. Its often a sharp pain like a knife cutting me open and although it may last a minute or so, it feels like 4ever. On some days, I get 2-3 attacks in a week and then nothing happens for months. I'm almost embarrassed to talk about my other problem. It starts in my rectum and this pain that occurs always knocks the wind out of my breath. The pain travels upwards and I can feel it at the base of my spine. When that happens, I can neither sit nor stand and often had to grab onto something before I hit the ground. I never told my doctor about it because of my embarrassement and felt silly if it turns out to be a minor thing. But lately I noticed it is getting more frequent. My aunt on my dad's side died of ovarian cancer. I think she's only in her late 40's or early 50's and I wonder if its worth mentioning. Any advice from anyone is much appreciate.
I am 45 years old and have been experiencing the same symptoms -- very intense lower abdominal pressure and also pressure on the rectum. I am an avid runner and have wondered if my running has anything to do with this condition.  Sometimes it feels like something has been pulled, other times it feels like something is swollen and is pressing down and producing a lot of pressure. I have had these symptoms for approx. 8 months to varying degrees but the pain and pressure has gotten much worse. In July, I went to my gynecologist who said it might be this condition similar to endometriosis called adenomyosis but he did an internal ultrasound and everything seemed OK -- there's no real way, other than surgery, to know for sure if you have this condition and there's not much that can be done about it anyway.  Last week, the pain/pressure got real bad again so I went to my internist who ordered a CT scan of my abdomen/pelvis, which I just had done this morning. I won't know the results for a couple of days but I don't think it's going to show anything. Even laying down does not help much -- I still have pain/pressure.
lower back pain with rectum pressure and feeling of needing to pass gas
i am having slight pain in my right side under my rib cage and pressure in my rectum please help me to find out what the problem is and what i can do to fix it.
This morning I woke up and found that I had alot of pressure in my abdomen and rectum area and it was so pain ful I could barely walk. I then went to the restroom to see if I could use it and I began to feel like I needed to vomit and I began to experience a cold sweat with no temperature. I have experienced this pain in my lower abdomen for three days now and have to take gas ex for the pain to go away. I took gast ex this morning and it did not go away. I have been living with endometriosis and in the past year I have had surgery for endometriosis and felt a little relief from it.
I've had the same problems, mine get worse when menstrating.  It also feels as though my colon and intestines are swollen and it even hurts to go to the bathroom and pass gas, walk or sit.  I've noticed this pain also when I'm constipated and even hurts with intercourse.  Is this normal or could there be something seriously wrong?
Have you gone to the doctor or has anything changed?  I am experiencing the same symptoms, and am looking for some answers before I head to the doctor.
I recommend trying a non-inflammatory diet. Though food may not be causing your pains--though it could be--what you eat can definitely make your pains worse. I have had a lot of my own pains decrease by changing my diet. Google for Anti-Inflammatory Diet and you'll find a lot of into. I did a program with a woman here in Washington. She has an online program that is very affordable and helped me a lot. Very supportive. No crapola to buy. It's all food you buy yourself. She helps you identify what foods may be triggering worse pain or other problems. It helped me. Worth a try!
I'm 20 and I have pain in my lower left side of my abdomen, sometimes it follows by lots of pressure feeling like a bowling ball could drop out of my butt. It's painful and is becoming more frequent to the point that I'm in pain every day now. I know I'm young, but a cyst was found on my left ovary ( same side I'm feeling the discomfort) and I was supposed to go for a follow up appointment to see if it went away but didn't because I was afraid and embarrassed. My doctor has ordered a number of tests; stool, urine, blood as well as An ultrasound this Wednesday. I can't eat ANYTHING without getting severe pain diarreah (diarrhea) and I'm tired all the time. I'm tired of feeling Alone and embarrassed. Every time I search my symptoms on google, ovarian cancer comes up.  Does anyone know what could possibly be wrong with me? I have two young children and I'm afraid if I have ovarian cancer I won't get to see them grow old :( please help.
Hi, I've been having the same problem as many of you for 2 months. I get lower back pain and worse when standing too long or constipated. I have very painful periods and sometimes I throw up and have diarrhea and back pain. I also get the feeling of something pushing down on my anus...like something might fall out if I stand too long. I'm not sure if it's relate to this issue but I also have some kind of odor that others can smell on me but I can't smell at all. It's so powerful that I can make a whole room full of 100 people sneeze and cough.  When I walk someone they make that face like they smell somthing offensive. I went to the doctor and they I might have a retroverted uterus, uterus that is bent backwards towards your back. and it is pressing on my rectum, possibly causing all the above symptoms.
I am having the same symptoms you had mentioned.  Have you been diagnosed? We cannot find the cause for my discomfort.  Over the last few days, it has gotten worse.
I'm 14 and I'm having the same problems it feels like I have a hemroid. And I am on my period have you found anything out.