abnormal menstruation

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

abnormal menstruation

I'm 19 years old and i have had my period since i was 11. I got my period this month but it is more of a brownish colour not like it normaly is. Its the second month that happens and i want to know what might be the cause?
Periods come in all different colors & lengths. Wouldnt be too worried. Still sounds like a period to me. If you are concerned I would suggest seeing ur Gyno. Good Luck
Just to let you know, I'm 24 and my period is never red.  Always brown or sometimes almost black.  It is the color of dried or old blood since it's the oldest dead layer of the wall of your uterus.  Perfectly normal.
its just really like its usualy always red and the right colour but for this one and my last its been weird not like the usual flow either but it seems to have a weird odour too.
it started to lighten later on in the day now its seems like its going normal what do u girls think it might be?
Definately go see your doctor if it isn't smelling right.  That's can't be normal...
Well, if there is a strange odor that is accompanying this weird period then I suggest you make an appt. with your doctor before your period ends, so she can see exactly what is going on.
Hi just curious, have you started or are you on any birth control?  I'm sure you would have mentioned something new, but my period was always the same color, once I tried different birth controls, it got real dark, it wasn't red anymore, but more brown, and even close to black, was just wondering, this is what came to mind when you described the color.
you said when you have your period there is an odor. i know this may be hard but can you describe the odor? also do you wear pads and or tampons? i know that when my period first starts, its heavy. so heavy that i need to wear a pad because the tampond wont hold it. when i do, i notice it has almost an amonia (ammonia) like smell. is that the same for you? i dont know if its because of the pad or what but maybe someone could tell me why it would have that particular smell?