abnormal thickening of uterine lining

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

abnormal thickening of uterine lining

Hi there... Recently had a sonohysterogram because of very heavy and long periods, bloating and pelvic pain and discomfort (worse at ovulation and menstruation) painful intercourse (esp at ovulation) ...The doc found that roughly one third of the uterine wall is much thicker than the rest (like two to three times thicker) - He sort of blew it off, called it a "polyp" and tried to schedule me for a uterine ablation in his office (to treat the heavy periods). I didnt feel right about this diagnosis, and so I got a second opinion. New doc. wants to go in with a scope, do a d&c, take biposies, etc... He said if it IS a polyp, they can remove it, and then continue with an ablation procedure.  I am anxious about the upcoming prcedure and what they might find, and wondering what the possible diagnosis may be, considering my symptoms and this ultrasound that showed such an odd uterine thickening. All of the images i've seen of polyps show something protruding into the uterus, or round-ish and embedded, all fibroids and cysts are rather round/embedded. this was literally just about 1/3 of the uterine wall significantly thicker than the rest. What could cause this? I have had 3 births - one vaginal, 2 emergency c-section. Could this be endometriosis or the like? Of course, I am concerned it will be cancer.