are cramps normal?

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

are cramps normal?

okay, well i was just wondering if its normal to have period-like cramps during early pregnancy?? ive had them for the past couple days. thannks. when i look on the internet, some sites say its expected and some sites say its a sign of problems
Hey Ashley first of all congrats on your pregnancy! I also have just found out Im pg about two days ago! and just like you I've been having cramp like af was to arrive! feel very pre mestrual! lower back pain and mild cramps...they were very intense for about two to three days but have gone down today. I also looked on the internet and everysite I looked said it was expected and normal, it's sign of a problem if they are painful then there's something wrong! now a question for you! =P do your breast still hurt? how far along are you? mine hurt for about three days and now almost nothing! my nipples are sensitive and that's about it...it kinda worries me. good luck and congrats again! =)
I have been pregnant 3 times. 2 miscarriages and 1 birth. During my miscarriages I had cramps then I started bleeding but I was in my 3rd month of pregnancy. I think some cramping is normal, but if its severe cramping I would definately get checked out bc thats not normal. Also, from my experiences I had cramps with no bleeding and I miscarried. I AM NOT trying to scare you or make you worry I am just trying to let you know that if the cramps become severe (worse than your normal period cramps) you NEED to get checked ASAP. Thats my opinion... good luck to both of you with ur pregnancies..
I had cramps like on my period with both of my pregnancies.  Both went fine.  The one that ended in miscarriage I KNEW something was wrong because the cramps I had were SEVERE.  I couldn't even walk.  Actually, when I got to the ER and they took me over to do an u/s, I couldn't even sit up straight in the wheelchair because I was hurting so bad.  Good luck to you both.  Best for both of you to get checked out ASAP and get on those prenatal vitamins.  Guess you both got really great early Christmas presants this year, huh?
hey! yes my boobs HURT!!! they are really hard too. weird, i know! lol well, good luck to you! keep me posted!!
With all of my pregnancies I thought I had terrible pms before af was due to arrive.  I did have cramping with all of them, but with my m/c it was a lot more.  I felt painful cramping and lots of pressure and cramping down.  Cramping is totally normal, just let your Dr know if you begin to feel pressure or if it gets really intense.  After a few weeks it'll get better, hope you are feeling good otherwise!
even though I didn't start this question! Thank you for the information! Im very scared! as my breast don't hurt anymore, they were very irritated and sensitive for about 4 days before I missed af and now they are not. lower back pain went away with good night sleep! I feel like Im not pg at all! the only thing I can really tell is my lower abdomen is very sensitive...I tried just touching..not poking! not pushing a little bit and it hurts like it's a tad irritated. hopefully that's normal. Im so scared of bad things that can happen, but better be positive right?!
Don't stress out at all. I am 5.5 weeks and went to the dr earlier in the week for my first exam ... I told her that I had no symptoms anymore (all except sore bbs stopped right around the time af was due and I got BFP ... the sore bbs continued a couple more days and are INFREQUENTLY sore, but that is all I have now). She said it was completely normal. A lot of women don't start symptoms until six weeks or after (my MIL had NO symptoms when pg with my husband or his brother ... JEALOUS!). Keep your head up and don't worry about the lack of symptoms. I really stressed myself out about it and did a lot of research and discovered that it is definitely not abnormal to have none at this time. Best wishes!
Thank you so much  for your answer! boobs actually got sore again lol they stopped hurting and now they do again! I guess you're right I should not stress so much about it! sometimes I just feel like Im not pg at all...and then I see the tests and there it is! big fat positive! my doctor's appointment is this monday, I think after that and hearing everything is ok I will feel much better!
Thank you again, and even if late congrats on your pregnancy!!!!!!!!! and good luck!!! =)