bacterial vaginosis - metronidazole - sex - has anyone experienced this before?
I was told I had BV two weeks ago. I was given 5 tablets of metronidazole to swallow by mouth in one go that evening.

I returned to the clinic on a Tuesday and was told some BV remained (half of it had gone). I was then given another 10 metronidazole tablets to take by mouth (one twice a day). The doctor said no alcohol but did not mention anything at all about whether I should refrain from sex.

I took one Tuesday evening, two on Wednesday, two on Thursday, and two on Friday - soon after taking the second tablet on Friday (so that's after having taken 7 tablets in total prior with 3 left), I had sexual intercourse twice with my boyfriend (using condoms both times) and he gave me oral sex without using any protection.

After, I was really worried if either of this (sexual intercourse or the oral sex) would affect my treatment of the BV at all or have an impact on the metronidazole working and its effectiveness?? Does anyone know?

Is it advisable to avoid sex during the course of taking the metronidazole?

BTW I don't have any symptoms of BV anymore though (although I am still continuing to take the medicine).
Hello. I've had BV before. BV means that your chemistry, or natural bacteria, has become inbalanced causing your PH balance to be off. When you have BV, for instance, when you wash with soap it will foam more than normal because of this PH inbalance problem. Sometimes you may have BV without even realizing it.  One reason you could have BV is because of a long standing underlying illness. If that is not the case, it is most likely that your BV came from intercourse. This happens when your chemistry is messed up by someone else's chemistry when you have unprotected sex with either a new partner, or a partner who has recently been with a different partner. Before your first symptoms, did you have unprotected sex with anyone?
hey trac777, before my first symptoms i had protected sex the day before - and hadnt had sex for roughly 3-4 months before that day because my boyfriend had been away.

when you had BV, did you take Flagyll/ metronidazole  tablets orally by mouth, and if so, did your doctor tell you anything about abstaining from sex?
I took the same medicine. If you are using condoms you should be fine, unless it is the condoms causing your problem. It could be that you are having a reaction to the kind you are using. Maybe try a different brand. I hope this helps.