bacterial vaginosis with lower abdominal pain

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I am a 34 yr old female with bv I've been treated three times with metronidazole .75% vaginaly and  one time oral antibiotics were used.  I had another abnormal pap (ascus, three paps in 9 months) with the infection still there last week.  I also have chronic pain in my lower abdominal area  with the yellow smelly discharge that stains my underwear. I've always had the smell but the pain is within the last 2 years I'm overweight (100lbs)  Is there a stronger antibiotic out there that can get rid of bv and the pain? Oh I'm not sexually active (2years).
thank you
signed Desperate for help
Hi, I am 34. I had bv for several years and didn't know it. I just remember seeing the commercials about feminine odor and figured it was normal. I was given Metronidazole also. It was useless. Actually, I think it made things worse. 3 tries and they finally gave me Flagyl (antibiotic) orally. It worked.

Also, they told me to wear 100% cotton underwear. I thought I was, but apparently I was only wearing 100% cotton lining with polyester underwear. So the entire underwear should be cotton. In addition, use 1/4-1/2 cup of bleach every time you wash your underwear (in hot water) and also disinfect your shorts/jeans with a little bleach too. If you keep wearing the same underwear with bacteria on it, you keep reinfecting yourself. Change your sheets weekly and sleep without underware on. Also, be sure to use cottonelle wipes or some type of wipes to clean yourself after you urinate or deficate and wipe from front to back. After sex or masturbation be sure to urinate with in a few minutes to keep bacteria from going into the urethra or you might get UTIs also. Don't wear tight jeans or shorts that push your underware up against you. You need some air circulation. Don't use sprays. Don't douche. Dont use bubblebaths. Don't clean with strong soaps, just use water and a gentle cloth to clean your private parts.

I know this is a long entry, but this is what finally worked for me. Good luck.
you need probiotics!!!! high quality like pharmex! not drug store brands you will feel better in about a week or two I had chronic BV for 4 months I was on that horrible antibotic (antibiotic) for 21 days and it didnt works you need to put good bacteria in your body to fight off the bad! I promise this will work!
Try 2 x 400mcg folic acid a day, acidopholus (you can even use one internally make sure the ones you take are over 1 billion). Whilst doing this you can ****** with 3% hydrogen peroxide SOLUTION (from a pharmacy) to equal part of WATER once a day for a couple of days. It is important you add the water as it may sting slightly for a little while, a minute or two anyway.

If sex exacerbates the condition you can douch after sex with the solution, but I wouldn't recommend it every time. You should find as the FA and the Acidophollus get into your system you don't need to.

I have heard some wonderful testamonials about these treatments, much better than the ones you get from the doctor.
If you are already very sore inside try a bit more water than the 1/2 and 1/2 mix. Don't forget to wipe all around outside with solution to catch any nasites hanging around the area.
lotsa luv
Whitters
hi guys,
i have just been diagnosed with BV. Awful!! can it cause lower abdo pain?? does anyone know. i dont understand what u guys r saying bout the hydrogen peroxide..... what do i need to do??

i have been stuggling with bv for 3 months. i am still very scrared it is something else something more severe, only because it is so painful i have extreme burning i mean bad almost like icy hott burning times 100, pelvic pain and burning this has ruined my life! i cry alot cause im in so much pain the doc told me i have it but im still scared has ne one had this extreme pain sometimes myn shouts down on my right thigh and leg, i need answers and no one has any? i just want to no what to do i take acidophollius daily and she prescribed my antibiotics but i feel like my condision is getting worse should i continue the meds or stop this ***** and def has made me sad what do i do please help!
Sorry i used a bad word forgive me but i need help!
I take many remedies, depending on what I "feel" I need at the time. all natural.  I try to keep sugars out of my diet. Eat or drink more dark leafy greens, take pro-biotics and when I'm having a flare up I insert Vitamin E capsules vaginally. That really helps.  I also use a tea tree oil wipe. It's a process.  Stress doesn't help, menopause made it a little worse.  It doesn't matter if I'm sexually active or not.  don't get caught up in the sex thing.  Drink water, pee a lot before, during and after and use the vitamin E and tea tree too.  Drugs don't help. It will come back.  It's something most women deal with, but never talk about. Good Luck
Are you sure it is not a std..like maybe gonorrhea? The pain in your tummy and in legs sounds like a complication from std (pelvic inflammatory infection) hope you get to feeling better soon.
You need to post your question as a new thread. Many of these posts are from a long time ago and rarely do people answer.
I am a 21 yr. old female who has just been diagnosed with BV. I have suffered on and off with this condition for years now. It seems like nothing completely cures it b/c it continues to come back.  I end up going to the doctors every other month or so for it.  It's ruining my relationship with my boyfriend, since it's causing severe lower abdominal pain during and following sex, as well as, vaginal dryness.  I'm in agony with these sharp intense pains.  I fear maybe I may have PID.  It seems like doctors dont listen to ALL of your symptoms before they are so fast to diagnose.  
You sound a lot like me before I was diagnosed with endometriosis and put on Lupron, which helped a lot.  The pain is back for me now, years later... yuck!  I hate having endo!
Hi I have Bv and I have been to the doctor already and I was given these doctor prescribed pills to get rid of it. The fishy smell and disharge went away so I didn't Finnish taking the pills. I had sex recently and it hurt in my vagina and *** during and after sex. After I had sex I got shooting pains in my vagina , think in my cervix. I also would sit a certain way and I would get shooting pains , and not only in my vagina , but my ***. It would hurt to try and flex anything down below. The pain is mostly in my vagina. Also, every time I would take a step when I walked it hurt in my cervix... My first thought was I just have a brused cervix from rough sex, but it worries me because the pain lasted a while after sex and the sharp pains would happen if I moved around in any certain way. Is this from bv , maybe ?
.