birth control and the proper way to take them

This patient support community is for discussions relating to women's health issues, including bone health, gynecologic cancers, genetic testing, heart disease, infectious diseases, work issues, mammograms, reproductive health, sexuality, domestic abuse and sexual violence.

I have been taken one certian birth control for about 8 years now and I recently switched to Loestrin 24. My question is do you take the pills that DO CONTIAIN the HORMONES while you ARE NOT on your period to prevent pregnancy and the ones that DO NOT contain the hormones while you ARE on your period just as reminder pills?
As I understand your question, yes, you take the ones that do contain the hormones during most of your cycle to prevent pregnancy, and the ones that don't contain the hormones (which is usually about 5 pills per pack) to have a period.  During that five days, if you have taken all the other ones in their proper order, you are still protected from pregnancy.  I hope I understand you correctly.
I am also on Loestrin 24.  I take the brownish colored pills (which are hormone pills) for 4 weeks, then the week I'm supposed to have my period (which I started pills on Sunday) I take the white pills that are the end of the pack.